【The Variable Project: Psyche】

At the arrival of their instructor, or at least someone Prier recognized as an authority, she scrambled to claim the nearest desk. Because they had to take their seats anyway.

He'd like to say they passed. Prier's initial reaction was surprise. She'd assumed they did pass or something, and everyone else brought up various points or thoughts to that effect. It made her own question a little different when she did speak up. "Well, we all got called here to tell us something. So, what is it you do have to tell us, Mr. Gaz?" Might as well just ask and get it over with.

Yvette Lecce

Well, at least some people here have the right idea, Gaz thought to himself, glad there wasn't an instant freak out about the possibility of failure. As strict as the school was, failing a group that managed to defeat an A rank simulation, with only an hour worth of training with their variables? Prospects capable of that could only make for the types of students that would excel here. In Trey's case, it was the rational to note that the simulation didn't display hostility towards those who didn't display hostility towards it.

"You didn't fail, if that's what you're wondering. If it was any other year, you all would've been passed. Things are a little different this year though." Gaz took a moment to look over a sheet of paper. Stricter and tougher, huh? A scoff. "As it stands now, 192 of you have managed to pass this year's entrance exam's initial phase. Normally, the initial phase is the only phase. Unfortunately for you all, many more passed than we'd expected to. As a result...there's a part two."

192? That was definitely a lot more than any of them could've expected. With the school's reputation, it would've been believed sooner that they were the only ones to pass. According to what the drowsy man said, this would be the first time there was a second part. "So what is this part two, then, Droopy?"

"Nothing so challenging as what you just gone out of. As few students as we expected to pass, we didn't come into this unprepared. Part two will involve a 3 on 3 match among those yourself and those you see around you. There will be two methods for passing..." Gaz held up a single finger. "One, be the first team to eliminate all of the opposing team's members..." Another finger. "Two, eliminate me, your instructor."

Yvette looked around the room. As soon as they'd all be joined together to take down a common enemy, they'd be forced to take away each other's chances at attending the academy. That seemed a little cruel, but it had to be reasoned that only the best of the best would be allowed in.

"Any questions then?"

@Crow @R-9 Pilot @Kit-n-Kat @ERode @Iwazuma

"Well, I will simply not lose then," Anchovy rose, then looks around with a stern expression. "Opponents that already know my strategies. I suppose that does increase the difficulty. Then again, I know theirs too, now don't I?"

Anchovy communes with Gaz.

"Mister Gaz, If I may spare a one of nine - what happens when you get eliminated? Since one of the conditions is eliminating you, will you be participating in the fight at all times, engaging in combat with us?"

"Oho," Haruka said, visibly excited at the prospect of even more combat, "That sounds pretty rocking~!"

Hopping off her table, the rose haired girl waited for Anchovy to finish, before adding on, "So if we team up to beat you, is that also a valid way to win? Or will only the team that gets the last hit on you be considered the general victors?"

"The only problem with that is everyone has to be in on it and not backstab the other guys at the last minute." Prier shrugged. "Of course, we don't exactly know what our teacher's capable of, either."

"Not sure just how small a class you guys want by the end...and this'll only cut it by half...that was a pretty big number to pass this year, though. Little under half or something seems more than usual from everything I've heard about this place."

Claire nodded as the others proposed their thoughts on the scenario laid out for them. She took a quick look at everyone around, and took a minute to see who would be good for partnering up with, if she wanted the best odds of winning with her group.

Then everyone seemed a bit more willing to work together on this and Claire wasn't exactly sure how to feel about this. Odds were that their instructor could easily take on six of these newbies. Then again, them getting this far was supposed to be some indication of skill. With a rather extended pause again, Claire took a breath to relax, before asking, "There isn't any tricks here, right? There is no "right" way to complete the test? You're not looking for people who're gonna backstab to get in, I assume."

Seems Trey was right on the money with his assumption, though the number who passed was surprisingly staggering. Hadn't nobody passed last year? That made this year's number more than a little unexpected. Trey frowned. Had the sims been too easy this year, or were there a lot of smart and/or powerful students? If the next set of tests were against each other, he could be in trouble....oh. Sounds like that's exactly what it was. 3v3 was the next test...and Trey was more or less a sitting duck to more developed powers.

Still, despite looking a little uncomfortable and nervous, Trey managed to maintain his composure. This was just another test, after all. And he'd have teammates...plus an option where he wouldn't have to duel the others. 6 on 1...that was a much more promising concept. Although he shuddered when he recalled what happened the LAST time he had a team go 6 on 1. Well...this team at least managed to beat the sim. Maybe he'd stand a chance...

"Okay. So it sounds like the only things standing in our way are each other...or you." Trey nodded. "Let's, er...do this..." His confidence only broke at the last moment, nerves showing their way through. So the ones who had just passively watched the sim not only had less practice with their variables, but many of the weaker ones would have no chance. That included him...

Yvette Lecce

Good questions. They certainly don't waste any time looking for the answers they want, now do they? Gaz took a moment to clear his throat before answering. "Not actively, no. I'll be hiding out around the map. Likewise, I won't attack unless provoked, much like the simulation you faced a short while ago. That's all I can tell you as far as the content of this part goes. As for the rest of your questions, who knows? Maybe there is a way for all of you to pass. That'd be something I'd leave all of you to figure out on your own though. I'm not going to hold your hand, nor will I pull any punches. If you do decide to engage me, and do so unprepared, I will do everything in my power to end your run swiftly and absolutely. That out of the way, any last questions before we relocate?"

Yvette had listened quietly to the other students lay out their inquiries and thoughts. They'd pretty much covered all the bases, save for one thing she was curious about. "You said your variable is a mental type that allows you to dispel lies, right? How do you plan on fighting against us with only a mental type variable?"

Gaz took on a certain glint in his eyes. "Tell me, Ms. Lecce. How do you plan on succeeding at this academy, where several of your classmates have already demonstrated compatibility with long range physical types, with only a mental type?"

Yvette was, at the least, taken aback by their instructor's answer. She knew she only had a mental type as well, but she had a means of being able to use other types. Sure, it'd be harder, but it was better than having no options at all.

"It's important that you all learn now that there's more to combat than simply swinging and shooting your fancy new toys around. You won't last long if you rely solely on your variables to get you by. That being said, let's move things along. There's a lot yet to cover today, and I wanna get it all over ASAP."

With a wave of his hand, Gaz motioned for the students to follow him out of the classroom and back towards the dome in the center. Other groups of students were headed to the same place. Most of them looked shocked this many had passed. All they could do was wonder how many of them would be left by the end of this extended entrance exam.

The group of seven entered the dome, then stopped in front of a door leading to what could only be assumed was a very large room. "There's another door like this on the other side. Three of you will follow me to enter over there, while three of you will stay behind to enter on this side. As for which of you will be doing which..." Gaz removed a slip of paper from his pocket, taking a quick look over.

"Bishop, Lecce, and Blanc, you three will wait here. Darvish, Scarletfever, and Fujiyama, you three come with me. When the doors open, you'll enter. Once the buzzer sounds, you start. Understand? Of course you do. You wouldn't be standing here if you didn't."

Leaving Claire, Yvette, and Prier behind, Gaz lead the other three towards the opposite end. It was only a moment after arriving that the doors opened, and the respective groups were hurriedly rushed in. "Five minutes to strategize. That's all you get. Don't leave your starting circles, until the buzzer sounds, unless you wanna fail prematurely." Those were his last words before disappearing into the myriad of buildings that comprised the inside of the room. A suburban setting by all rights, it was immediately evident that this wouldn't be a simple across the field battle.

"So, any ideas?" Yvette asked, looking to her teammates.

@Crow @Kit-n-Kat @R-9 Pilot @ERode @Iwazuma

"Oho," Haruka murmured, scratching her chin, "Finally a more interesting environment..."

An urban space, with a myriad of buildings and different fields. It was familiar in a way, different in others, but the first thing that the rose haired girl focused on were the two bridges that connected two separate cityscapes from each other.

"Well, first off, how do you wanna do this? Team up on Gaz? Or beat up the opposing team?"

@Crow @Iwazuma

Claire looked to her two partners. Prier and Eevee. Gaz had given them the warning that there was much more to controlling their Variables than using them as weapons, and Claire was dead set on figuring that out as soon as possible. She wasn't gonna lose her spot here in the academy, and she was contemplating suggesting to the three of them to secure their own spot here-

Before realizing that probably wouldn't settle well with either of them. Instead, Claire stayed relatively quiet as she thought, wondering how someone with a lie detector could end up fighting off six opponents so easily. Without a Variable, he'd need to use the surroundings, yeah? Which would mean opening up the playing field would put him at a disadvantage.

"Prier, if we took out the supports of some of the surrounding buildings, do you think you could knock em down?"

"Given their personalities and traits, the other team might aim to defeat Gaz. Though, I feel that we should consider the possibilities not based on conscience, but rather, ease of achievement."

Anchovy crosses her arms as she looks at Haruka & Trey.

"Scenario one - we fight the opposing team three on three.

Scenario two - we fight the opposing team and take advantage of them being occupied by fighting Mr Gaz.

Scenario three - Scenario two with us on the recieving end.

Scenario four - All six of us fight against one teacher.

Of course, this is not credible, as we cannot take Mr Gaz's abilities into account. Mr Gaz's feats are that which we do not know, but he knows our feats."

@ERode @Iwazuma

Well, he was right. There was a second test indeed, one that would thin the crowd, perhaps even enough that they would finally be able to accept them into the academy. But one major thing stood in his way...it was a 3 on 3 scenario. He couldn't win this one by just staring the others down...he would have to fight, and he would have to win and contribute. Trey's eyes fell as he stared at his hands. After he had miraculously survived round one, he had hoped he'd be accepted and then have the time to actually figure out his strengths. His father had always spoken highly of him, told others he had incredible psychokinetic potential. And yet all he had was a short range physical and a mental that didn't even work. How was he going to hold up with others who knew what they were doing?...at least more than he did.

He was silent as they walked to the dome, contemplating his options. He didn't actually know what his teammates, Anchovy and Haruka, DID. The other team would probably be strategizing as they walked, but he had no chance to do so without figuring out their abilities first. They split up at the first door, Trey's hands behind his back as he considered what to do. He could probably get his team onboard, but it would take convincing the others to make the plan go through.

Both Haruka and Anchovy weighed in, but Trey's eyes widened as they decided to speak out loud. Sitting down in the start circle, he quickly glared up at the both of them. Come on guys, keep it down! He shot both of them a telepathic message rather than speak, urging them to do the same by tapping his temple. We don't know if Mr. Gaz is listening or not.

Once he had gotten that warning out of the way, he glanced to each of them in turn. Okay. Here's the thing...I know you guys teamed up to beat the sim. I didn't. I have a short range physical, yeah, but...I don't even know how to make my mental type work, let alone know what it does. Needless to say, with no combat experience, I'm a distraction at best to them and knockout fodder at worst. You'll be essentially playing with 2 teammates and a decoy, unless I can get in close to them.

Our best bet is going to be finding and ganging up on Mr. Gaz. Even if he has some combat power he hasn't told us, it's gonna be really tough for him to handle six on one...well. Five on one. But I have a plan for that.
Trey had noticed one thing in particular that Mr. Gaz had said. 'If you engage me, and do so unprepared, I will do everything in my power to end your run swiftly and absolutely.' An idea had begun to form in his head, but it would go nowhere if he couldn't convince the others to get onboard.

But first, we need to find the other team and hope they don't feel like taking advantage of my liability. The plan's not gonna work if we have to fight Mr. Gaz AND the other team. Though the boy's physical voice was awkward and full of stutters, his mental voice was one that sounded more learned and experienced. He had shifted into a do-or-die mode...and he sure didn't like the latter option.

"Oho," Haruka said, taunting a GM as she listened to Anchovy's quick and dirty breakdown, "You forgot about scenario five though. We meet up with the other team, pretend to be interested in teaming up, get in real close, and then BOOM, whack em dead! It's a bit dirty, but hey, anti heroes are all the rage these days."

Of course, there was Trey interjecting about how Gaz could be listening in right at that moment, advising them to use their minds instead of their mouths, but Haruka simply laughed instead. This really was like Minato, wasn't it? Five + decoy vs singularly powerful target?

"If Gaz wants to listen in, let him! Right now, we're discussing possibilities, not concrete courses of action, and hey, surely a man as smart as him would be able to predict such plans easyily, if it only took us a few seconds to come to them."

Anyways, it'd really suck if energy lost from telepathic hijinks cost her later on...but that sort of thinking wasn't something Haruka cared to explain.
@Crow @Iwazuma

"Yeah, I could probably do that. Make the whole thing heavier and it might fall over with enough support gone. Or just yank on one side." Prier didn't waste much time thinking on whether or not it really was possible, so either she was confident, or just didn't bother worrying about the details. "I wouldn't lean too much on the spatial, though. Can't keep it running for long regardless of how I use it." She paused. "And I've probably run through a fair bit of my reserves already...at least more than you two have."

"Not sue I have any brilliant strategy myself, but the teams seem a little uneven. We've got more range, but no real close-in capability to match someone like Haruka. So, if we do get in a fight ,she's probably the biggest single threat. Well, or that Try guy. He's a bit of a wild card."

"So that in mind, what do you want to try?"

"You provide a valid point, Haruka, it was no mistake to be teamed up with you," Anchovy nods, "If Mr Gaz is an opponent meant for all six of us, he should at least be strong enough to heavily tire the opposing team. We will hold back on our fight with Mr Gaz to conserve energy for such a plan - reducing offense and increasing defense. We will continue the facade by acting like we are panting, tired and such, then retreating from Gaz at some point. I believe that is the idealized, detail version of your plan, Haruka."

Anchovy ponders.

"You are right, Trey. The priority should be to locate the other team. They are closer to Mr Gaz than we are, so I predict that they will engage combat with him once we reach them. I have an idea, though - the trick I have previously used to launch you, Haruka, we can utilise it again, this time from a high-rise building, shooting Mr Gaz while he is focused on fighting the other team."

@Iwazuma @ERode

Figured. Neither of them seemed particularly intent on keeping their thoughts secret from any prying eyes, which meant he had wasted some of his energy for nothing. Still, he wasn't sure about the plan they were formulating. Pretend to team up, and then beat the others when they are busy fighting Gaz? That sounded incredibly dirty for one, but for two there was a problem in their logic.

"W-well...what if they're thinking the same thing as us?
" Trey interjected the question quietly as he glanced between them. "I can only assume the others are just as strong as you two, and their third member is probably more useful than me. If they decided to fake US out...well...we'd stand to be much worse off than if the situation were reversed." Trey mused quietly. "And moreover, what if Mr. Gaz just took opportunity of the confusion to pick the other team off before we could? Then we wouldn't get the credit for beating them and we'd be forced to take him on without their help."

Trey shook his head. "We, um...really shouldn't think about being double crossers, I think. I'm not sure what you two can do with your variables, but I think making enemies of the other three would, um, b-be a really bad idea unless we could easily take all three out simultaneously. Which I r-really doubt." Trey scratched the back of his head. "Cooperation is smarter..."

Yvette Lecce

"Think it might be better to leave the buildings for now. Making a bunch of commotion knocking them down will probably give away our position. I know Anchovy used a good deal of energy up against the simulation, so she won't have too much output from the get-go." The raven-haired girl turned to face Prier. "You're probably the lowest on energy right now though. We'll wanna use your gravity sparingly. I don't have a spatial type, so I can't copy your gravity."

Green eyes looked over the map they'd been given for this battle. It was a holographic sort, with their current position blinking on the screen. For whatever reason, the outer reaches of the battlefield were also blinking. Whatever it meant was beyond the girl right now. "Our best bet would probably be the buildings overlooking the central bridge. We're closer, so we should be able to reach it and have a good vantage point to watch for their approach."

Gravity girl was right though. Haruka was their biggest threat right now. Not only could she shatter their variables, but she'd also find it easy to lay waste to any buildings they might make plans to hide in. "Worst case scenario, we just take to the air, right?" If she had to be honest, she was getting quite excited about this upcoming match. Duking it out with a simulation was one thing, but actual combat with people she'd just met today. There was a certain element of surprise to it that made it appealing.

"Now then... Team Haruka, or Droopy? Which one do we target?"

@Crow @ERode @Kit-n-Kat @R-9 Pilot @Iwazuma

"Hm? Nope, none of them are stronger than me," Haruka replied matter-of-factly, "And here's where you've got this all wrong, Trey. Operation Betrayal is simply a means of grasping intiative first and closing the distance between our teams. We don't even need to fight Gaz for that...though if we COULD create a situation where Gaz destroys the enemy team...well, that'd be awesome too, right?"

She turned to the holographic map once more, watching the timer tick down.

"After all, imagine this scenario...enemy team immediately spots Gaz and tries to take him down. He retaliates and exterminates them. Our victory condition, that of 'the enemy team being destroyed' is fulfilled. Thus...voila!"

A flourish, a bow, like a great magician.

"We win, with minimal effort expended! ...by the way, two extra points, budderoos. They probably think I'm the scariest thing here right now, so it'll be a great time for you to go assassin mode when I draw aggro. Also, that glowing beacon on the other side of the map is totally where they are, ye? Starting point at least?"
@Crow @Iwazuma

Claire shrugged, thinking about all their options. Taking a good look at the map, Claire nodded in agreement. "Worse comes to worse, we should be able to out range our opponents. Whether it's Gaz or the big girl, if we can take Haruka out before they notice we should be able to take out the others." Claire added, before pausing to think some more about the options here. What were the odds that the other team would be willing to go after Gaz instead of each other? She had no about Trey, Miss 20x Combo was probably gonna go for them. Previous wisdom would make her assume the other team would be going for them, meaning..

"If they find Gaz before we do, help them take him out and we all win, but we have no way of guaranteeing anything. Which worries me," Claire shrugged, trying to figure out how else they could win.

"While your plan is indeed valid, I have to question - to what extent can we count as Gaz destroying the enemy team before we do - and more importantly - without too much of our involvement?" Anchovy asks Haruka, "Gaz is not easy to predict."

Turning to Trey, she adds, "a support unit such as you does indeed count towards a team of three with the right strategies. Hide well for the time being until the signal is provided - a bullet to the air."

So despite all his efforts to convince them otherwise, they seemed intent on dueling the others. Trey sighed. He prayed desperately he had gotten lucky on the draw with his teammates. He really was at a disadvantage; he had no idea what they did, and he didn't have anything particularly out of the ordinary to surprise them. He was in a bad spot either way.

"...F-fine…" Trey hung his head for a moment, internally sensing his chances of success crumbling away. "But how am I support, exactly? All I really have is a variable and my small stature. I can hide, but I have to get in close to hit them…." He folded his arms in frustration. "Apparently our team consists of a long range and a much more powerful short range. I guess I'm not good for much else but a surprise kamikaze…?"

"Hm? Easy peasy," Haruka replied cheerily, snapping her fingers together, "Anchovy loads you up in a cannon and launches you off! I'm the scary one here, so all eyes would be on me if I even do something like wave my hand at em, so that's where Trey goes cannonball in! The good ol shock and awe~"

"A dual-deployment, very well," Anchovy responds, "I believe that all immediate issues have been discussed, and any other issues are to be thought about on a whim. Before the big plan. All of us are to move discreetly and minimalize detection - move close to the ground and within buildings as much as possible. Anything else to be covered?"

"Yeah, one thing." Trey piped up, obviously concerned with one major factor that had occurred to him once the decision had been made that they would not be playing nice. If he was even going to have a CHANCE, he needed to know as much as possible… "Um...er...exactly what are you guys capable of? The last thing I need is to be going in blind t-to my teammates' abilities...and worse, our opponents'...."

"Prier, the girl with the super duper long hair is mainly a gravity girl," Haruka began, "While the rest of them can be treated as long range physical users as well, all things considered. So hey, it's all pretty simple! We win with closing distance, and we lose if we can't do that!"

"I'm short range physical, by the by, and Anchovy, well…"

"I am primarily long range physical, long range mental. I will remain ranged when necessary," Anchovy adds, "my mental abilities allow me to view through the eyes of others - be it cameras or organic optics."

"Short range physical...and...something." Trey huffed. "I've mentioned it a lot, b-but..well. My mental type is a total unknown. I didn't figure it out in time for the sim." Trey sighed, but spun his variable, shaped like a staff, defiantly, almost to the situation itself. "But I have been training with staves since I was little...I make up for lack of p-power with a lot of skill."

"Total unknown means it's a deus ex machina for us then," Haruka said cheerily, slapping the dude on the back, "And we got super great scouting potential on Anchovy's part as well. Now then, cause I can totally see them doing this...how will we deal with them if they take flight?"

"Two options - stay safe and at low ground, hiding underneath the roof of buildings and ensuring that we are out of sight," Anchovy discusses, "or we could bring the fight to them, flying as well for full aerial combat."

Trey remained silent as the two discussed combat options. "It's not like I can reach them from the ground, but I was planning on taking it to the sky anyways...360 degree short-range combat is p-pretty tough to master. I think I'd be most likely to beat them if I have more options to keep in motion and react to their shots." He shut his eyes. "But if that's the case w-we'll have to take our Prier immediately. Gravity and flight...don't go together."

"We can't win by hiding though," Haruka stated, taking a quick look at the time, "And we probably won't have enough time to drain them dry of their energy by forcing them to stay flying. That being said…"

She pursed her lips together, thinking back to the fight with the simulation.

"Anchovy, did you get the feeling that Prier's gravity manipulation had 'infinite' vertical range? Or was it more of a localized sphere of influence? If it's the former, attacking vertically might be a good counter. After all, if she got herself caught in the gravity well..."

"Personally, I believe that the range, while great, is limited. Even in the context of actual gravity, one is less affected when they are higher, and there is no way Prier is on the level of planets. A high-speed far-range snipe would serve well to negate," Anchovy responds, "if there is no true way to know now, we will have to observe first in their fight against Gaz."

"So n-now we're assuming they'll go after Gaz?" Trey cast his eye to Anchovy with confusion. "We should be thinking worst-case scenario. I see two possibilities...they go to us with the hopes w-we join them to fight Gaz...or they take the battle directly to us. I'm betting on the latter for the same reason w-we're not fighting him. Frankly...I think if we're to beat Prier, we'll have to do two things...first we have to keep the others distracted so they can't protect her. And then...we'll have to outwit her."

Hm, this conversation was going in an odd direction, wasn't it? "Well, let's keep it simple. I'll serve as the vanguard, Anchovy as sniper support, and Trey as her spotter and shield. They definitely aren't stupid enough to go after Gaz solo, so the simplest plan will be…"

Haruka raised one finger per point.

"Anchovy grabs their eyes and figures out where they're looking."
"I arrive dynamically and grab their focus."
"Anchovy takes the snipe on Prier while they're distracted."
"Trey comes in to support via cannonball, and we mop up the rest."

A shrug, a smile. "It's a bit mean, but we have superior scouting capabilities, while Prier is their solo threat. Shouldn't be too hard to grab the initiative, if they're as blind as we are in regards to locations."

"So that would require me making contact with their eyes, perhaps forging a false alliance, then splitting up," Anchovy crosses her arms, "a sound plan to me. Let us proceed. We have little time before it truly begins."