Are you scurred?

Despite my many successes in life, I have a crippling fear of failure which frequently causes me to choose not to start a project. I know that, likely, if I just start and set my mind to it it will probably turn out okay, and I'll probably be content with the end result, but the knowledge that I won't get it perfectly to my expectation kills me of motivation.

My parents are my lifeline, and I am terrified of doing things against their expectation of me. I have become the daughter they wanted, I've been molded into the successor to their business. As a result, my financial decisions often filter through them because it's the company's money. In a strict sense of salary, I am grossly underpaid for my position and the level of work that I do (although the company does cover a lot of my day-to-day expenses so my effective salary is probably pretty high).

My fear of upsetting my parents couples with my fear of failure, and I have never been able to escape this line of work. Like any career it has its ups and downs - it's not shit, but it's just not what I want to do.

What am I not scared of?

Half-Kidding.

I'm actually pretty scared of a lot of random and often contradicting things like being stuck indoors, going outdoors, spiders, socializing, phone calls ×100000000000(because I can't read their movements and appropriately react or think of anything to say), affection, roosters that mean business, those who know me too well, eyes, paper, cardboard, sandpaper, long fingernails, pencils, spiders, my morbid curiosity.

+ countless of other normal things.

I HATE FROGS...

also scared of loud noises, guns, and strangely .... drug people.. >> they''re every freaking where in my town now....

I HATE FROGS...

also scared of loud noises, guns, and strangely .... drug people.. >> they''re every freaking where in my town now....
oh wow, I used to be terrified of frogs and toads. When I lived with my Gran, there was a toad living in our storage room and it was HUGE.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Maggie
The two physical fears that come to mind are tornadoes....and ladders. Or, really, any climbing thing that has GAPS in between the steps! I'm relatively small, so I can just imagine myself slipping right through the gaps and plunging to the ground below. Ladders are the worst....it's grown almost to the point of a full blown phobia.

I guess my other fear is losing my mother. She's one of my best friends and I hate having to watch her in pain as she gets older.

not to boast but i'm not afraid of much, except for a few specific things.

werewolves. Not dogs, not wolves, but werewolves. specifically when they "transform". eeeeck, that scene in POA in HP with Lupin is horrendous. Whilst it doesn't scare me too much as an adult, every time i hear a howl i get a little spooked.

bridges over water. it's not the height or the water, it's the two combined. i've had more dreams about being on a bridge that's in my city collapsing. i still avoid it when driving lmao.

i'm lucky enough not to be afraid of death that much, or failure or even bugs. like, my brain likes to avoid rational fears lmfao.

Dying without having done anything worth doing. And I'm worried I'm about half way there with the way I've been eating of late. Even just something important to myself would be enough.

- Ending up like my dad. Lmao. Never gonna happen though, so technically there's nothing to fear.
- Losing my dog.
- Getting mugged. (I like my things. D:)
- Mascots and centipedes creep me out a little. Not enough for me to run away screaming, though. #Manly
- Getting trapped in an elevator as it plummets down to certain death.

Not existing after death and disappointing my family. I'm about to do the second, which might lead to the first...

I think I've answered this before but maybe not.

Spiders. Little ones, medium sized ones, big ones it does not matter. They are all terrifying. I've spent a few weeks in the hospital (at different times) because of spider bites so yeah..I just turn into a crazy person when i see one. I do understand that they are important in the ecosystem though, so as long as they stay outside where they belong...it's all good. Come in my house...voluntary suicide. Of course I can't get close to them, so my preferred method of killing them is hairspray so they can't move.

Aside from that, I'm not really afraid of other bugs. A few of my kids are allergic to the stinging ones so I had to grow big girl panties about those pretty young. And wow...mice are so dang cute. Even snakes are cool in their own way. Of course I'm sure if I'd ended up in the hospital because of a mouse bite or a snake bite my thoughts would be different.

The non physical fears...losing any of my children or grandchildren. never finding love again at the two top ones.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Greenie
Driving and/or sitting in a driving car, especially around intersections and busy highways. I have to keep myself preoccupied with my cellphone so I don't have anxiety attacks. It's bad enough that a lot of times I exclaim out loud and alert the Mister. :( I always have this fear for example that another car will come in front of ours without indicating, or a car will cross the intersection while we're driving. Judging by the crappy way lots of people drive, I don't think my fear is unfounded either :/ It's bad enough that I often have nightmares featuring car accidents.

The Mister getting hurt/attacked/dying without me knowing. Bleh. *wipes mind of such thoughts*

Losing friends. Another fear that isn't unfounded as I've had more than a few people disappear on me without a word. It can make me a little irrationally clingy unfortunately.

Standing on top of a stool or a chair. I'm not scared of heights, I'm scared of falling though. XD

Balloon are terrible and I hate them.

Loud sounds x.x

CALLING PEOPLE. Please no.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: The Mood is Write
- Mascots: I have a serious fear for these giant animated creatures in suits, especially when I hear human voices coming out of their mouths. My brain is screaming with logic, such as, "Mobley, keep cool, gurl. Hooty the Owl is all about academic excellence. He's totally not looking at you with hungry glass eyes. Don't you dare flip shit--" And then I proceed to flip shit anyways. No joke, there was on time in middle school in which I was attending a basketball game. I was doing well ignoring our mascot (the Fighting Yellow Jacket), but the dude inside was a classmate who knew me fairly well. He decided to hunt me down in the bleachers, open the mouth of his mask, and shove me head inside.

Guess who fainted seconds before halftime? This gal lol!

-Spiders and most bugs: Can't do it. Nope. Nu-uh. Nada. Get your extra legs outta here, dammit! I'll literally scream at the sight of a cockroach or spider, imagine that they're locked onto me as their next target like, "You're next, biatch." Those fuckers have a long hit list, I just know it. They're planning out downfall man, bet money. When I started my first year of college, I was terrified to be away from home, one of those reasons being that I didn't have my father nearby, the designated "comforting cuddle bear who kills all bugs on sight". Weeelp--sure enough. One night I got up at like 3 AM to use the bathroom...then stopped...heard this weird, like...scratching sound. Rapid. But a low sound. Sent chills down my spine.

Lo and behold, looked in the sink to see this MASSIVE, muscular-looking ass spider trying to crawl out. It kept sliding back down though because of the slick surface, so it just kept doing that on loop. Frantically. Omg. It scared the ever-living-sweet-baby-jesus out of me! My soul proceeded to leave my body as I screamed bloody murder and woke up everyone in the suite. Had to call my mother so her voice would calm me down. Took 30 minutes for my roommates to believe me and investigate...the spider was gone. I didn't sleep for two days straight! :D

-Not meeting up to my parents' expectations: Well, without going into too much detail, my family life was shitty and chock full of constant drama. It still is to this day. Being the youngest of five, I was able to watch as each and every one of my elder siblings just...disappointment my parents left and right. Crime, drugs, abuse, ungrateful behavior, heartbreak, arguments, alcohol abuse, the whole nine yards. With every headache that unfolded, the more I saw my parents visibly wither. I refused to cause them a similar pain, so I worked my ass off to become the best child they could ask for. Luckily, I did well so far. Valedictorian, Summa Cum Laude graduate, etc. They always seem so happy whenever they see me, and seeing that happiness in turn sort of...validates me. I guess. It literally breathes meaning into my existence. So, of course, the thought of letting them down, of seeing disappointment flicker through their gaze is...just fucking crippling. In the end, I know they want the best for me and to pursue whatever I want, but, at the end of the day, what I want is for them to realize that they are everyday superheroes and are the best parents the world has ever seen.

Failing to make them realize that terrifies me.

-Guns/Gunshots: Boy of boy. Lemme tell ya. I have no choice but to be downright petrified of guns. I grew up around guns. The neighborhood of my childhood wasn't safe at all; there were frequent break ins and gun fights and such. There were nights when shots went off and it sent me racing to my parents' room, literally trembling like a leaf. A bullet had taken my cousin's life, I wasn't keen on being the next one. Secondly, my sister also had an unfortunate experience with guns. The fault was on her part, to be honest. She was cocky. Felt empowered with a gun in her hands. She was wavering it around. Playing with it...without the safety on. It went off, utterly blowing off the top-half of her left index finger. It sucked even more since she's left-handed; adapting was a long and miserable process for her. Finally--the cherry on top--I was briefly caught in the crossfire of a shootout. It was supposed to be a simple walk to the convenience store and then coming home with apple juice. It was kinda dark, the sun just setting. But I was close to home. It was fine--which was what I thought until gunshots went off. A car came screeching down the road and I'll never forget the sight of some dude leaning out the window with a gun in hand and shooting at the vehicle right behind him. Guys, I didn't see the bullets, but I knew they came real fucking close to popping a cap in my ass.

I had to jump into the bushes and wait for them to leave. Then I sprinted home, thoroughly traumatized. Wasn't fun. So yeah, I don't scream or anything when I'm near a gun...because I'd be too busy hightailing my ass out of there like an Olympic track runner for Kenya. Yeet!

I could be telling stories all day about how much of a chicken I am, but I won't bombard you guys with an essay lol!

Heckin spiders. i hate those eight legged freaks.

Oh and clowns. *shudders*

• Thank You
Reactions: winnie
short answer:
everything

long answer:
death, more specifically the cessation of existence; never having another thought again

growing up alone and unloved

my family abandoning me

losing my mother

being alone outside at night

final destination shit

water deep enough that my feet can't touch the bottom

outer space

aliens

nuclear war

how I could just be outside, living my life, and some asshole could come up to me and shoot me for no goddamn reason, or I could be caught in an explosion, or just be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get hit by a car crashing into a building (etc, etc etc...)

bears

heights

I could go on but I'm not going to. y'all get the idea

Blood-drawing.

-Bees. Anything striped that flies and is an insect.
-Chickens.
-Small children that I don't recognize who are without parents/guardians/etc.
-Strangers in general, I guess.
-Death, severe injury.

Slightly more explanatory-
Bees and bee relatives I am absolutely scared of. You have never seen me run until I run from a bee. Mostly due to that one time I got stung as a kid, but thankfully I'm not allergic.

Honestly chickens aren't that bad but if I don't know the chicken in particular.. yeah. They're ravenous dinosaurs. You should be afraid.

I don't do well with kids and lost children make me lose my mind. This situation has happened to me more than once and I hate it so much. Why do they come to me? ;_;

Strangers also make me lose my mind. Unless you're an approachable staff at a store or your charisma melts minds, I'm highly likely to be wary, anxious or afraid.

I may want to fly into space and never talk to humans again but the idea of a painful or violent injury or death scares me. A lot.

Oddly enough I'm not afraid of things like spiders, snakes, heights, rollercoasters, etc. I used to, but mildly and now I just pick up nearly any bug I come across, and fast carnival rides + coasters are my inner junkie's weakness.

Reactions: foodforpigs