Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Action, Fantasy, Romance, Modern, Magical, Sci-Fi, Steampunk, etc.
shingeki_no_kyojin_signature_banner_by_slydog0905-d69b3ny.png

The Year is 835. Humanity lives confined inside of 50-meter walls. They live like cattle but are content and complacent with the lives they lead because they are safe. Safe from the abominations that wander outside of those very walls. The Titans. Humanoid like abomination that preys and feeds on humans. They don't feed on humans for nourishment or to reproduce. Humanity does not know why the Titans are like this but they seek answers. The Survey Corp. One of the three major branches of the Military specializes in Titan Killing and leaving the confines of the Walls to travel into the outside world in hopes of finding answers. Many believe this is suicidal. Crazy. The dumbest branch that anyone can join unless they truly believed that they could save humanity and make a difference with their sacrifice where others before them had failed. The Survey Corp. is always searching and in need of recruits. They have the highest mortality and turn-over rate of any of the Branches because of the fieldwork they endure. Even with the great perils they face and the doubts that hang heavy over their heads. They have one thing the other branches and even humanity does not seem to grasp or have as a whole. A brotherhood. An understanding and trust between one another through thick and thine. To lay down their lives for each other and for humanity where others would not.

The 98th Training Corp. Camp located east of the Stohess District, deep within the rolling hills and forest of the open area. They were somewhere in the center of the 130km distance between Wall Sina and Wall Rose. Cadets of all shapes and sizes, backgrounds and ideals have been transferred here all over the land, from every district. There were currently four Training Camps being held for the next three years and Kyle Funchess was the poor bastard in charge of running this one. The Training Corp. was a branch that was solely in charge of training new Cadets and teaching them the various skills they would need to know for all three branches. The Cadets are also ranked, with only the top 10 being given the option to join the illustrious and safe Military Police.

----

The heat was becoming unbearable. The sun currently sat at its highest peak as rows of Cadets were lined up in formation, standing inside of what seemed like an abandoned quarry. Nothing but dirt and dust. The camp itself was a wide area and had been carved out of the ground with a winding path leading up and out back onto the green grass and beautiful pastures. All the Cadets were currently wearing the standard military uniform that they would be accustomed to for the rest of their career.

"You are all worthless! Nothing but Titan food just waiting to die like sniveling pieces of shit." Kyle yelled in the faces of the Cadets as he passed through. "You all disgust me. I've been doing this a long time and I know when I look a complete failure." Kyle was weeding out the weak ones. The ones that wouldn't make it a week, let alone the rest of today. "You! What's your name and why are you wasting my time?" He found one already. A young boy who was shaking in his boots already. The grizzled veteran got in the face of the kid who saluted but was sloppy and spoke with a shaky voice.

"M-My name is W-Will Ludger sir! I want to serve humanity!" The kid sounded as if he was about to pass out. Trying to raise his voice and sound proud but instead, his voice cracked and sounded pathetic.

"Humanity doesn't need your pathetic existence." Tough, cruel words would be spoken today and for the next three years on the recruits that do stick around. They needed to be tough and understand none of this was personal. If you didn't have the resolve or the fortitude then the military was not the correct career path and it is best to back out now when you still have a chance and not considered a deserter. This hazing would continue, moving down through the crowd.

"Who are you and why are you here?" Kyle, the Commandant, approached another boy but this one seemed stern and appeared to have some training in posture and poise. The boy gave a proper, quick and proud salute and stood straight with all his pride before him. "My name is Arthur Sutherland. I am from the Stohess District and I want to join the Military Police and protect the King." The commander didn't say anything yet. Just staring into the eyes of the kid, taking into memory who his Father was. A friend, one he had talked to before Camp had been opened and some bribery and money passing through hands happening.

This would continue for hours. The Cadets would be yelled at and tested by the Commander and by other Training Corp members. They would be told to do laps, push ups, sit ups and other physical activities until the sun began to set in the distance and they finally could rest and get dinner.

----

There were ten different cabins on the edges of the dirt camp. five of the buildings were the barracks and the other five were the mess halls were they would be able to eat and relax. With over a hundred cadets remaining after the dropouts on the first night. That would leave around 20 bodies per cabin. The cabins were large enough to hold a few more, rows of bunk beds in 'cubicle' like rooms. Four beds to a room, so two bunk beds. The rooms were nothing more than a small percentage of storage room and beds with little moving room between them. Just enough width to fit a body in a single file line.

Arthur was silently stressing in his mind. Spoon lazily hanging in hand as he stared down into the slop they had been served. Potato stew mixed with a little amount of meat, a piece of bread and water. This would be their meals for the next three years. He had been placed in Cabin A, along with the other promising Cadets that impressed Kyle Funchess today. Did Arthur really belong here or did his Father, a Captain in the Military Police of Stohess somehow set this up. Arthur wouldn't know if he was really a capable soldier or if he could make the top ten on his own, because he already knew deep down that his Father would skew the favors towards him, against all odds. Anything Arthur 'achieves' over the next three years would be hanging over him, doubting himself in believing that he did it or his Father had.

Sitting alone at one of the bench tables. Arthur was pulled from his deep thoughts as other Cadets approached. Talking about the long and tough day they endured. Small chit chat and getting to know one another. Asking why they joined. All those normal things someone would do when trying to make a friend. He had to brace to be asked these sorts of questions as well, and give as little important information on his background as possible. He could talk and make friends with other Cadets, but they couldn't know his Father was a Captain in the Military Police. They might suspect he is being favored and treated better than all of them. He only hoped no one recognized him or his last name if they came from the Stohess District like him.

As the commander went down the rows, column by column, spitting in each recruits individual face, Maya wasn't worried at all. She had her purpose, she had her father in mind, that's all she needed to power through anything. The commander got to her row, she touched her pocket watch through her jacket. The shape being something familiar. She went over the motion of the salute in her mind again. Her Father told stories of how his training was brutal and they yelled at you and buried your face in the dirt to make sure you actually wanted to do this. Maya might bend, but she wouldn't break.

As the commander finished tearing the poor person next to her to shreds, she was up. The moment she'd been waiting for, she was on the chopping block. The commander pierced through her head with his daggers for eyes. Maya looked straight ahead and firmly planted her feet in the ground below her. Slamming her right fist over her heart and her left fist opposite to it on her back. "My name is Maya Osbern! Daughter to Adam Osbern, the master strategist and ex-survey corps soldier! I'm here to make him proud and one day be better than him!" She wanted to smile, thinking of how those were almost her father's exact words. But she maintained a serious look and held her gaze as the commander glared at her. As he opened his mouth and let forth a barrage of snarky, spiteful comments, Maya continued to look forward. She was determined to be better than her father. For his sake.

As the day went on, Maya was melting inside her uniform. Every small patch of shade she could find was a sanctuary even for a brief moment. Physical training was easy for her. Showing up most if not all of the recruits, the recruits slowly trickled off one by one. Then they started dropping like flies. Soon there was a hundred or so of them. Did people do this just for the fame of wanting to be the one to save humanity? Whatever happened to family honor or making lifelong companions? Maya now had to show up everyone she possibly could. Show them what a real soldier was. No way in hell was she going to join the Military Police if it got offered to her. Again, she felt the pocket watch. Her mom always said how cute Maya looked in her father's Scouting legion hood. With surety of her purpose once more and training seemingly over for the first day, Maya made her way to the mess hall; absolutely starving at that.

Maya got herself as much as she was allowed for food. It didn't look appealing, but it smelled alright. She dipped her finger in and took a quick sample of it before sitting down. It... was kinda bland. Bland is better than bad though. That was good enough for Maya. She sat at the first place she could see was open. Next to that tall dude who wanted to be in the Military Police. Would be good to know who she'd be up against in being the top of litter. She slid down next to him with a smile, "So the Military Police, huh? You sure you can make the cut? It's gonna be stiff competition being top ten!" She was implying that she'd be the competition, but then she reminded herself of the remaining 100+ recruits left. If they kept dropping out at this rate, top ten would be easy as sin to get into. She spooned a bit of stew in her mouth then ripped off a chunk of bread. Bringing her attention back to the tall dude. "Sorry, My name's Maya! Maya Osbern! You were uh... Ar... Nold? No, no. Um... Arthur! Right? I think we're cabin mates!" Maya smiles widely, if he was in the same cabin as her, it's because he was one of the top cuts. She was excited, maybe she'd learn something from him.

Reactions: Desert Bee
Lillian Ward

Lillian stood with the others, not seeming to care about the nearly unbearable heat around her today. It felt refreshing to say the least, to be away from the cramped streets of Stohess, brimming with all sorts of filth and corruption.

When it was her turn to be given a shouting at, she barely seemed to flinch. Perhaps she was just used to this kind of thing. Her response was relatively calm, collected, and to the point, despite how jarring it might sound to the average citizen, who has rarely if every experienced poverty, nor homelessness.

"Lillian Ward, from the Stohess district. I no longer have a family to my name, or a home." She said.

It didn't take her long to answer the question of why she had joined the military in the first place; her goals weren't very pristigious to say the least. She intended to do the bare minimum to get where she wanted, and that was that.

"My existence in these walls... Is worthless. Even if it means I become another snack for the Titans... I want to see the world outside, with the Survey Corps. I want to live my last moments in a place I can breathe."

Openly admitting to wanting to throw away her own life wasn't something she did every day, but then again... It was rare people ever asked of her aspirations, nor her past. For years, no-one had bothered to say anything to her at all, or at least anything polite. They either looked the other way, or simply laughed and jeered at her for one reason or another.

To them, she was nothing more than a street bum.

The rest of the day, Lillian spent just like the other recruits, doing situps, pushups, running laps. However, she never bothered to go above and beyond... And whatever physical or mental fatigue she might have been experiencing, she didn't show it, keeping up a kind of 'poker face' expression (or lack there of) for the most part.

However, when supper time came, and they could finally eat... Lillian showed a little more life than usual.

Although she still kept her relatively non-challant posture, she was practically shoveling food into her mouth, in contrast to her initally casual motions as she got her food, and slowly walked to an empty seat.

In no time at all, she was finished with the first proper meal she had in weeks, and in fact... Her first meal she had all day, before she leaned back in her seat and began to sneak looks at the other recruits surrounding her.

As out of place as she was among them, she didn't look particularly concerned about hiding this fact. So much so that one might even wonder why she was even here in the first place, if she seemed to care so little, even for her stated goal much earlier in the day.​

"You aren't thirty kilos soaking wet, girl. Consider yourself fortunate we have uniforms in child size. I'm sure you'll make a great toothpick for the titans... And you, by the walls. Did you get lost for a decade trying to find the camp entrance, cadet? Or are you just a dottering old man in the wrong place?"

The individual before Commandant Kyle was perhaps the second oddest recruit he'd seen in this line-up. Though hardly a geriatric, something Kyle might soberly call himself, the man was old enough to easily be the father of these predominantly teenage recruits; certainly in his thirties, at least. Though thin features and the long black hair shadowing his face helped disguise it, something about his features marked him as clearly aged.

Hitting arms over his chest and across the small of his back without particular urgency, the senior cadet replied deadpan, "No and yes, sir. I'm here for the bird watching retreat. But, think I might be in the wrong line."

Kyle sucked on his teeth at the quip and felt his brow lower. He sighed. "Yet somehow you've bumbled your way into the 98th and slipped into this," Kyle said, grabbing the older cadet's collar. "A soldier's uniform. And that means you will train until your bones expose themselves as chalk, you will cram tactical information into what brains you have left, and eventually you will be eaten alive by a titan horde. If you have a problem with any of that, watch the birds from the back of a wagon home."

The man simply blinked a few times at Kyle's response, his straight-faced expression remaining. That was when it clicked for the training instructor, where the cadet's age revealed itself. His eyes, darkly sallow with shrunken pupils. Despite his youthful appearance and joking nature, his gaze bellowed age and an icey despair. It was the same look he had seen in members of the Scouting Legion, returning time after time with but half their number covered in blood and bandages and no results to show for it. The poor, grim bastards.

Whoever this cadet was, he had seen things. If he didn't quit by tomorrow, Kyle expected he never would. "What is your name, senior cadet. I imagine I'll be seeing it on the list of training casualties, under heart failure."

This time, the saluting cadet's expression did change. A full-toothed cheshire grin spread across unshaven face. "Vilhelm Jung, sir."

The young members of the 98th sluggishly filed into the mess halls from hours of training exercises, with the very last to arrive being Vilhelm, softly panting as he undid the cord tying back his long hair. He had known it wasn't going to be easy keeping pace with other cadets, most of them were almost half his age. But it was easy to ignore the pain sometimes, entering a numbed state of mind where there's nothing but the next lap or another twenty push-ups. Now, however, was not one of those times.

Stomach panging with each incessant grumble, Vilhelm grabbed one of each of the remaining broth bowls, water, and bread then sat in the nearest seat and dug in. Exhausted yet conscientious of appearance, he tried not to haphazardly thrust spoon after spoon of potato chunks and stringy meat into his food hole but matters weren't helped by the food being delicious. Concerned others might be staring, he took a swig of his water and peripherally took a glance around. Tired as everyone else was, Vilhelm found it odd many were just milling their spoons about or playing with bits of bread. Perhaps they were used to finer cuisine.

It was on looking to his left that he noted the small girl shoveling wet beef and soggy potatoes with abandon until clearing the bowl and pushing it back to relax.

When she turned to look about the mess hall, her somber gaze met Vilhelm's. He chuckled behind his water cup. "Good to see I'm not the only one takin this race seriously," said Vilhelm, tapping the side of his own bowl for indication. Resting the cup, he torn his bread and offered a piece to the seemingly hungry girl with peach hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emil Burton

To say the heat was oppressive was an understatement, it was more akin to being tossed into Hell itself and made to stand for eternity as you were slowly cooked alive. Emil stood where he was at attention, staring a hole into the back of the cadets head that was directly in front of him as he'd been instructed. They'd been given a short lesson on what they were expected to do in this formation, and although Emil didn't like the idea of the formation, or of any of this for that matter, he would play along if it meant coasting through as easily as he could. Remaining unnoticed. That was his plan if he could manage it, and this was one of those moments he was not going to be getting away with simply melting into the crowd like he so desperately wanted as he watched the Commander make his way down the line of cadets in a flurry of curses and insults, belittlement and straight up abuse in a few cases as blows came to be handed out every so often to those apparently deemed worthy of such actions. He watched a little of it from thew corner of his eye, straining hard to watch the Commander move closer and closer. But what he was really able to pay attention to was the mans voice, he doubted anyone could have blocked it out if they wanted to.

As the Commander, Kyle as he named himself, made his way ever closer Emil could feel the tension and anxiety rising in his chest as he searched for what mioght have been an acceptable answer for why he was standing in this formation today. Was it better to lie? To come up with some false motivation to sacrifice himself to humanity? Or should he tell the truth? That he'd had no choice, this or a far longer sentence in a state run prison? He swallowed hard as he felt the mans presence move to him, continued staring blankly into him as he began his string of questions and insults, "Just what in the name of the Walls do I have here huh?! Don't fucking tell me I'm going to guess!" Kyle screamed as he noticed Emil bring his arms up to salute and answer, "You're the fucking one aren't you? The one out of the hundreds of you worthless piles of shit huh? The one that doesn't want to be here right!"

Emil swallowed hard again as the man seemed to already have an idea of why he was here, so lying was out the window. He responded in a low mumbled, nothing more than the whispers of words as his heart attempted to beat its way out of his ribcage and take off running to leave him behind for the abuse he was surely about to receive.

Kyle reared back with an astounded look on his face before coming back in with a fist to Emil's stomach. The boy sputtered and spat as he fell to his knees, heaving as his breath refused to come. "SPEAK THE FUCK UP CADET, I NEED TO HEAR YOU I DON'T READ LIPS FOR A LIVING. AND STAND UP!" Kyle yelled down on him as he hooked a hand under Emil's armpit and hefted him easily to his feet as if he weighed no more than a small toddler, "SALUTE LIKE YOU GODDAMN MEAN IT." he hurled at Emil as he continued to struggle to breathe.

Emil brought his fists up almost instantly at the command, hitting his chest so hard he felt a small after thought of pain from the Commanders hit and simply grimaced through it, "IT WAS THIS OR PRISON SIR!" he exclaimed loud enough for the entire formation to hear. He lamented inside for a moment that the secret was out so early.

The Commander laughed for a moment, a mirthless sound through his barely parsed lips as his eyes seemed to run wild in his head. Emil flinched even before the yelling began, aware of what was about to happen. "That's fucking fantastic! We have a real fucking criminal among us! A lowlife piece of scum that chose the easy road out when given the chance!" he reached down with both hands and lifted Emil a few inches off the ground with no more than a hint of effort on his face, "Well guess what crook? You chose fucking wrong." he growled out before tossing Emil aside like some doll.

Hitting the ground hard he'd come to rest against the leg of the nearest recruit who looked down at him with terrified eyes before facing forward as Kyle once more came over Emil. "I've got something special for you." he spoke low enough for only Emil and the cadet to hear, "There's a forest some twenty kilometers East of here, out the gate. You have until sundown to be back here. And I swear if you try and run for it... I'll hunt you down like a dog myself. You're going to make it through this, if only so I can torture your sorry excuse of a life the entire way. I guarantee it shitbag. Now get running."

Emil quickly rose to his feet and shot a glance up the road that led down into the camp with confusion overwhelming his mind. 'Forty plus kilometers in... five hours. In this heat...' he decided he was going to die before he could finish that, "Water Commander! I'll need water!" he yelled as he came back to attention and faced Kyle. He didn't expect the next fist. It struck him so hard in his jaw he could see stars from one eye and nothing from the other for a brief time as he stumbled over into the cadet from earlier.

"You don't get shit now start running!" Kyle yelled at him as Emil obliged and took off for the exit of the camp.
The sun had long since set when Emil finally made it back through the gate. His mind completely overwhelmed by the thought of water that he half-ran half-stumbled his way to the sounds of the messhall and the cadets inside that were eating their first meal of the training. He shouldered his way into the messhall and almost immediately slammed into a cadet carrying his food back to a table. He offered a halfhearted smile of apology to the boy and made his way to the serving station about as quickly as an animated corpse. Taking the bowl of porridge offered to him and a cup of water he'd stop where he stood in the line and simply drink the entire contents of the cup, lines of water running down his chin and leaving streaks across his shirt as he greedily drank.

The server gave him an annoyed scowl as Emil held out his cup to be refilled and made it clear that he needed to clear the line as he handed it back to him. In a haze Emil moved to the closest table and took a seat, shoveling the porridge into his mouth as a sudden hunger joined his desperate thirst. He didn't notice if the porridge was bad or bland, it didn't exactly matter at the moment. As he quickly finished his bowl he looked up to realize he wasn't alone at the table. In fact it appeared he'd sat down right in the middle of something as the older man held out a piece of bread for the girl that shared the table. Emil stopped and stared a moment at them both and was about to speak when a sudden need to empty his stomach overcame him. He stood up quickly, the bench screeching away against the floor as he did and made a straight sprint with energy he didn't know he still possessed for the door of the messhall.

A few minutes later, and his stomach sufficiently empty of everything he'd just inhaled he entered the messhall once more and immediately got a second serving of the porridge from the line. Taking a seat back at the same table he'd offer a weak smile to both of its occupants, "Emil the crook." he said defeated, "Hope neither of you mind." he added as he motioned to the fact they were sharing a table.

Lillian Ward

Lillian had been drifting off into her thoughts for only a moments, temporarily losing track of her surroundings.

Their Commander, Kyle, didn't seem particularly pleased with her. Of course, there was noting much more to say, as she had said exactly what he had appeared to have wanted, but she could practically feel him staring bullets at her when she had been slacking off during exercises.

When they were running, she was near the back of the group, and it didn't appear like she was testing herself too hard when she was doing pushups or situps, merely doing the bare minimum.

It was a wonder he hadn't forced her to run a mile or something yet, but perhaps his attention was either taken by an apparent convict he had recognized was mendatorily here... Or maybe her slightly emaciated appearance was more noticeable than she had thought at first.

In either case, this situation was likely not too different from a game of cat and mouse; she wanted to do the bare minimum, so there was going to be no remote chance that she would ever be recruited into the military police... But at the same time, she wanted to do just enough so that their Commander wouldn't get on her case.

And then, abruptly, her train of thought was interrupted... As she had accidentally met eyes with the much older recruit who had sat near her by chance, causing her to freeze like a deer in headlights as he spoke, almost seeming to shrink in her seat a little as he made it quite clear he had seen her wolf down her meal like that.

Crossing her arms, she attempted a small pout.

"Don't you know it's rude to stare at someone when they're eating?" She muttered.

Though, her stomach growled a little, reminding her how little she had eaten up until this point... Causing her to sigh and shake her head, seeming to relax now that she was no longer so startled, taking the bread swiftly, scarfing it down as quickly as she did her meal.

"Whatever... Food's food..." She said, leaning back.

Just as she turned to make eye contact with VIlhelm again, about to say something else, she caught the convict from earlier out of the corner of her eye. There was no way she couldn't recognize him, with how Kyle yelled at him and forced him to run. He looked like he was about to say something, but an all too familiar look on his face, followed by his sprint to the doors of the messhall.

Looks like he was feeling a little sick today, but it at least bought her enough time to say what she had been about to say to the man who had offered her food.

"... Thanks..." She said, trailing off as literally a few seconds later she noticed Emil approaching the table.

Nonetheless, she managed to crack an indifferent smile, shrugging her shoulders when he mentioned being a crook.

"Nah, I'm no stranger to criminals. Used to see them all the time." She said, though then she tilted her head, a curious look crossing her face.

"So. What are you in for? It sure was enough to piss off our Commander. Must be a little more than just... Stealing, right?" She asked.

It seemed that Lillian wasn't unsociable really, even if she did seem embarassed when she was noticed scarfing down her food; she was a little self conscious about that kind of thing... But... So far, she didn't look to have taken too badly to it, especially after being offered food.

At the same time though, perhaps it was best to tread carefully around her. There was no telling how she may react if she was caught off-guard like that again.​

The light haired young girl withdrew into herself with a pout after Vilhelm had spoken to her, seeming to share his own conscientious reservations about people watching her eat, but swiped his offered bread nonetheless. The corners of his mouth rose into a bemused grin. Someone takes herself a little too seriously, he thought. Still, its nice to see people with... integrity? No, what would you call it. Maybe something closer to...

Vilhelm's listing thoughts evaporated as
he plopped into the seat in front of them. The boy had his head lowered--minimizing the distance between soup and mouth--but as his head rose out of the bowl to offer the two a shy smile, glancing between them with brightly colored eyes, there was no mistaking it. The older cadet barely registered the boy launch from his cheat, run to the lavatory with arms wrapped around his stomach. A cold shiver trailed down Vilhelm's spine, giving his neck a small twitch. He brought a hand to his hair-strewn brow to cover his darkened gaze, staring through the wooden table, tremoring. V... Val- His lips mouthed.

In the cabin's rear, a door was pushed back and then once again the silver haired boy nestled onto his seat with another bowl. His awkward smile greeted the pair as he introduced himself, but Vilhelm had already left the table.

Though Vilhelm's earlier flinch had resolved after just a second, his mind was still in chaotic jumbles. Some mental voices urged what was obviously true, but the rest were not having it. Clearing a sigh through his nostrils, he quieted his head and made to the serving line for another round. He had offered a friendly nod to the server, but the man was busy cleaning his station.

Back to his seat, Vilhelm had re-assumed his weary, amiable smile and slid the bowl some centimeters between the girl and boy. Joining the conversation, he tried to interject some toneless levity. "Depends how good you are," Vilhelm replied to the boy with silvery hair. "Heard instructors have those pillows, ones with down feathers? Consider this bowl a bribe toward swipin one. Oh, ah. Call me Vilhelm."

He spent the fading hours casually chatting with the two younger cadets, keen to both not press into their personal lives and to deflect such questions at him, voiding his mind of anything not part of the conversation, and doing his best to socialize like a normal human being. Even so, it seemed all three of them struggled with the latter.

As cadets began returning empty bowls and cups to the serving station, with the server snorting and shaking his head at every trainee who left something behind at their tables, Vilhelm stifled a yawn for perhaps the twentieth time that evening. "Yeah, anyhow. I seriously forgot which bunk I'm in." He sniffed and scratched his cheek. "But.. I think one of my cabin mates was something Luger. L-Lug... something with an L. Don't suppose that rings any bell for you two, does it? I could ask the Chief Instructor, but... yeah."

Reactions: marcy
Emil Burton

Emil gave a mirthless laugh as the girl stated she wasn't exactly a stranger when it came to criminals which caused a bit of curiosity to well inside him as to why she might say such a thing but he'd keep it down unlike the first bowl of soup, it wasn't exactly early enough to be asking such personal questions, and were he being honest with himself it wasn't like he really cared too much as to why the girl had said what she said. "Good to know. I was afraid I was about to be ousted by every single cadet around." he said as he spooned another scoop from his bowl.

He shrugged as the girl went on to ask about what he'd done and let out a more hearty laugh as she questioned him on it, "That's exactly what it was, though the MPs just pinned a whole load of things they couldn't solve on me, I'm mostly innocent of the crimes on my record. he shrugged before placing an elbow on the table and resting his head, "Doesn't matter now though, figure this was the better choice no matter what the Instructor says or does. I'd take the years here over the time they'd lined up for me outside of this." he turned his spoon to face Lillian and shot her a questioning look, "How about you? I didn't exactly pay attention to everyone's answers." he admitted as he began to twirl the spoon in his fingers.

As he waited for an answer the older cadet that had been at the table when he initially sat down returned with a new bowl and a bit of humor to brighten the day. "That'd depend," Emil replied as he tilted his head in his hand and seemed to think deeply, "I know nothing of his layout, habits, simple stuff you know. I'll need time. Maybe three weeks." he said mostly joking in response to the mans request for him to steal the head Instructors pillow, "Two if there's a second pillow in it for me." he added with a mischievous grin.

The man was far older than the other trainees, but it wasn't exactly rare that older individuals joined, at least not that Emil knew. He wondered what had gone wrong; or right; in the mans life. Someone his age didn't just up and leave a job or a family if they had a choice not to... Another question that it was far too early to ask. Instead he just shook his head and sighed, "No idea.", he said with another shrug to the mans question about someone named Luger before he got back to eating his soup while waiting to see if the girl might have known who he was.

Lillian Ward

Lillian was kind of put on the spot when the bowl was placed between her and Emil; she so badly wanted to have some of it... Even after having eaten the food she had already. Her stomach was almost bottomless after many years of under feeding herself, but at the same time, she was cautious about over indulging.

Even so... Vilhelm's 'peace offering' to her brought back memories of the first few days she was homeless, when that young Military Police recruit fed her, and took care of her.

But her expression seemed to sour a little as she remembered what he had ultimately done to her in the end, or perhaps... What life inside the walls had done to him; all that talk about his superiors treating everyone like shit, about wanting to make a change in his ranks, it all seemed to have gone away when he himself joined the ranks of the superior Officers.

Before her mind could pursue that train of thought too much further, she decided to redirect her attention to the conversation she was having, starting with Emil. He wasn't specifically asking about her past, which was why although there was this glint of ferocity in her eyes... She didn't react just yet, but nonetheless, she tried to answer without too much hesitation.

"Stohess has it's share of criminals. I wasn't one of them... Unless you count the times I stole food, but that's nothing." She said, but a noticeable frown creased her face when he mentioned the Military Police framing him.

"I just want to be away from all of that... Away from those MP bastards, and their self rightious hypocrisy." She muttered, a bitter tone seeping into her usually dismissive... Indifferent one.

Fortunately, the conversation shifted to other topics, both good and bad. Though, fortunately the topic didn't wander too closely to Lillian's past; she was still touchy about that kind of thing.

In the end, when the topic came to Cabins and accomodations, Lillian shrugged.

"A bed's a bed. Beats a Wall any day."

Out of habbit, she would often sleep near the wall surrounding wherever she was... As it provided some minimal shelter from the elements, when she did not have another home. It had been a while since she'd had a proper bed to sleep in, and thus... She found herself indifferent as to what kind of pillow she had, let alone how comfortable the bed was.

However, when she realized the others were a bit lost as to what Cabin they were assigned to, Lillian seemed to recall the name relatively quickly... But not so much the specifics.

"Kyle said something about Cabin A. That ring a bell?" She said.

Truth to be told, she wasn't paying too much attention to Kyle's words, minus the orders that pertained to her... But at the very least, the Cabins didn't have some rediculous name that would be a pain to remember.​

Arthur Sutherland

One of the cadets decided to take a seat at the table he had been alone at. Understandable as friends were already being made and tables were filling up with groups. His was empty and open, and he couldn't just tell them to go away so he could brood about the current predicament he was facing in his own head. The cadet that took a seat at the table with him seemed to remember his introduction when the Commander had been going around yelling at everyone and hearing over a hundred names. She was the girl who bragged about her Father being an ex-survey corp member. "Yes. I know I'm going to get in." Arthur answered Maya's question on if he believed he could make it in with the stiff competition. What may sound like confidence in his own ability was something deeper, but at face value, Arthur would just seem confident in himself.

"Yeah. Arthur Sutherland. Nice to meet you Maya." Arthur needed to make friends, or at the very least make it seem like he was a friendly person. His attention turned to the stew that they had been served and ate a spoonful of it. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great. It was somehow bland. It served its purpose by giving the recruits the necessary substance they needed. Ripping off a chunk of the bread, he dipped it in the stew and ate that too before turning his attention back to Maya.

"Do you think they will go easier on you, or even care who your Father was?" Ironic that Arthur would ask such a question but she was one of the few cadets that mentioned their family when being asked and why they are here. It seemed almost smarter not to mention previous family members. Perhaps the Commander or other Training Personel would have bad blood with their family? The chances were highly improbable but with how small their world was it was still a possibility.

Arthur shouldn't have brought up family. Maya might be proud of her Father's achievements and proud to say his name to others. This might lead to her asking about his Father who he would have to think of something to lie about. Captain of the Military Police in Stohess didn't sound like a smart thing to say. "So you signed up to join the Survey Corp.?" Arthur asked, trying to veer the subject from family to career choices.

Aria Sylvara

As the sun glared down on her head, Aria didn't relent as she kept her composure. Feeling the tenseness of those around her and watching those shaking in their boots as the commander's voice echoed throughout the open air. Aria's mind quickly thought back to how intense training was as per her mothers description. They taunted you, broke you down to feel like dirt but it was all to build character and to make sure you could prove your worth in your future.

Aria listened as the footsteps grew closer to her position before the sound of degrading profanity reached her ears more clearly. The troop beside her looked easy, like they were about to vomit up their rations or whatever they ate before. Aria rolled her eyes in slight annoyance keeping them forward watching and listening to keeping her composure. However as the commander reached the cadet beside her it seems they couldn't keep it down as they lost it and vomited.

Glancing at the bottom of her feet she saw as a few speckles of the liquid stained her boots causing her to grit her teeth resisting the chance to deck the cadet where he stood, however the commander made quick work of weeding them out and sending them back on the cart home in the distance.

"So missy! Are you a vomit rag or do you have a worthless name like all the other of these cadets?!"

Tensing up, her movements were quick as she slammed her fist into her chest saluting speaking at her loudest and with her best foot foward. Her voice rang out beginning to address her commander.

"Aria Sylvara sir! Daughter of the survey corp member Fey Sylvara, Sir!"

"So you have a story I don't give a flying fuck about! Your mother was probably titan food so she failed her duty!"

"YES SIR, She failed and that is why I'm here Sir!"

"If I told you to spit on her worthless grave would you do so cadet?!"

"Yes sir! As per your order sir!"

The commander soon walked off toward the cadet next to her starting to berate them just as hard. Aria kept her eyes forward but almost had a second thought of what she just said without any thought at all in the heat of the moment. The deed was done however and this one wasn't going to be heading home to an empty house anytime soon.

As the day progressed under the heated sun, Aria worked under her new orders with ease. Half the exercise regimes she had practiced her spare time making it a rather easy task even under such pressuring conditions even with the extreme numbers desired from the hard headed commanders.

Later as she entered the mess hall, Aria found herself with a first real problem for once. Where to sit. Seeing so many were with their friends or attempting to make conversation, She found herself near a table close to a peach haired girl and silvered haired guy. For now being close was a start even if they didn't want to talk while they ate what food was on offer.

Taking her seat on the bench and slipping a book from her pocket, she opened it on the table flicking a few pages finding where she left off before training this morning. Starting to eat the slop and bread that was given with her spoon and idle hand she enjoyed the moment of 'relaxation' while it lasted before more training started tomorrow.

VIKTOR BALTES
There it was. He was old enough to take the next step in his life. Unlike the most members of the Baltes family, Viktor was likely the only one who would change the course of his future. Unlike his father, or his older brothers, his intention was from the get-go to be a part of the Survey Corps, despite the danger surrounding it.

However, he was contemplating about the two paths before him. One was to please his father, and just have it so that the Baltes family would always be a part of the Military Police, and the other was rough, different and unique if one may say so. If people did know of his family to some degree, they would likely assume the same about Viktor.

At the recruitment camp, with many of the other cadets, they were all standing in a line while their Commander, with his grim, intense expression, and that harsh language that would spout insults upon insults with a twist of reality, Viktor held a stern expression. While Kyle, the Commander made his way to him, up close, he did not waver.

Strong determination had overwhelmed him at that point. There was no turning back from this. "What? What are you looking at? Do you think that expression will be enough? Shitheads like you and the others will have to rely on more than just that. If you can't handle stepping on the mud then this place isn't for you. WHO ARE YOU!!?"

"Viktor Baltes sir!" If it was meant to please their Commander, it may have done the job. A grunt voice escaped the latter, before he just ignored the young Baltes and moved on. Viktor kept his eyes fixated on him, watching him grill other cadets. Maybe he was too easy on him, because that Will guy didn't make it.

"Is that name supposed to mean something to me!? HUH?!"

"No sir! it isn't. It is just a damn name!" It actually was, and his background would get him nowhere.

"A name like countless others who've been here where you are! Who've been out there doing what you're here to be a part of. But soon you'll all be fodder for the titans, or you'll just perish and be forgotten! YES, I frankly dont give a damn about your name. Or yours.. OR YOURS!"

"Your background does not matter. Your name does not matter. Who you are and what family you're a part of does not matter! In order to survive in our disgusting, cruel of a world, you will have to make decisions you would never imagine doing. I WILL BREAK YOU LIKE A TWIG WHILE YOU'RE HERE!"

"Do you understand, BOY?!"

"I do Commander Kyle!"

The day was intense. It was harsh, gruesome and this was only the beginning. The heat and the sweat was almost if not too much. Did his brothers and father go through this as well?

The first day was seemingly over. The heat had settled down, and they were all assigned a cabin that was to be shared with other cadets. This wasn't Hermina district, so Viktor had to adapt and get used to his new lifestyle. Having seen his fair of different predicaments and situations out there, this was better than nothing.

VIktor was blessed to be a part of a family and a lifestyle that kept him away from a criminal life or to that of poverty. But witnessing the unknown beyond the walls, and the streets within the walls, his entire perspective on life had changed. Obviously, most if not everything was kept to himself. He was not the type to share it with others, but his future was defined by it.

Assigned to Cabin A, he was the last one inside, while the other cadets had made it to the mess halls to get themselves some food. Eventually, he made it there, and picked up a tray like the others. Stood in the line while waiting for his turn, taking in his surroundings and the other cadets who were in groups, striking a conversation and so on.

His eyes landed on some of the cadets that were in Cabin A, like their Commander had said. Minutes later, it was his turn to get some of that magnificent food. "Uhh.." It almost felt like he was a criminal, but he quickly brushed that thought away. The old lady who served him the food, gave him a simple look.

"What? You don't like it?"

"I--"

"Well, get used to it, kid. NEXT!"

To Viktor, that was surprising to say the least. A sigh escaped his lips before he turned around, and decided to make some friends. Walking up to a recruit that could almost be his father, he overheard their conversation. "Then you better not make it to top ten while we're here." His attention on the girl who wasn't fond of the Military Police.

"That'll keep you away from the Military Police I bet."

Even if he wasn't invited, he took a seat next to them. Picking up his bread before taking a bite. Giving them all a curious look with a smile plastered on his face. "Oh, where are my manners. Name's Viktor Baltes.. And you guys don't mind.. Do you?"

"Ohohohooo! Confident! I like ya!" Maya had a wide grin now, Arthur's seeming overconfidence in the fact he'd make the Military Police amused the hell out of her. She wasn't going to mock him, she just thought it refreshing to have someone with so much confidence. She held up a finger after Arthur posed the question; she picked up her bowl and drank a good third of what was left, taking a bite out of the bread before looking back at him. "Go easier on me? Hah! I'd hope not! Guess Kyle knew who my dad was because he gave me some leg weights before we ran track. Fifteen pounds a piece, told me to not take them off until I go to sleep." Maya slaps her shin to prove she wasn't lying. "He also said something about if I worked hard enough I'd be half the soldier he ever was. These leg weights were ten pounds before I decided to say I'd be better than that." She sighed, maybe saying something about her family to Kyle wasn't the best idea. But she was already in waist deep, and her father would be more than just let down if she quit now.

Of course Arthur asking her questions stirred similar questions in herself. "So them knowing about my dad made my life here harder, wouldn't have it any other way really, do you have any parents in the legion?" Maya tilted her head a little, taking another spoonful of stew. Afterwards she stirred the stew around in her bowl while looking around the hall. She saw some girl with a book all by herself, sort of. Maya smiled a little at the sight, she was kinda cute. Catching herself staring she returned her eyes back to Arthur. "Yeah, I'm going to join the survey corps like my old man. Even if I get the offer to join the Military police. Nothing against them, it's just not my cup of tea. I always wanted to be a story that someone tells. Hopefully not a tragic one. But rather one of a heroic girl who saved someone or had a huge kill count like my dad!" Maya was getting a little excited, almost like a child talking about what they want to be when they grow up. She recomposed herself and takes one of her last two bites of bread, and waits for Arthur to finish talking before getting up.

Maya contemplated chucking her last piece of bread at the cute book girl to get her attention. Instead she wolfed down the last piece, finished her stew and went to go give her dishes to the server. Who gave her a sort of half assed nod of thanks. On her way back to sit with Arthur, she took a quick detour and walked behind the book girl. She didn't finish her step when she was behind her, and peered over the book girl's shoulder slightly while balancing on the one leg that was still on the ground. "Watcha reading?" Maya said with a chipper tone and a friendly smile. It didn't take long for Maya's raised leg to shudder and fall back down next to her other one, she still had the leg weights on after all. A small sigh escaped her lips as it happened.

Aria Sylvara
Aria listened to the various conversations going around her. The topics ranging from general chit chat to where they would want to go in their placements but of course the top 10 wasn't always so easy to work your way into even with dwindling numbers through the ranks. Aria shoved another spoonful of the stew in her mouth munching on her bread as she turned the page in her book. The pages had pictures and descriptions of the methods to kill a titans as well as how to approach them and dispose of them.

As the sudden chipper and female sounding voice peeked behind her ear, the girl put down her spoon turning her head to view her guest for a moment. A blonde girl, tall and with blue eyes. Making a mental note of finding her cute, Aria spoke up before turning her head back to her food speaking with a mouthful "My mother's journal" she replied simply turning to the next page as it gave Maya a slight peak of its contents. Another spoonful of stew and the bowl was practically almost empty. She pushed the tray aside eating the last part of her bread before closing the book with a loud clap.

"So then"

Aria said turning around to meet the girl face to face again looking over her before fixating on her ankles. She reached down tapping them with the back of her finger hearing that solid clink of metal. It caused her to raise an eye before sitting up straight again and leaning back against the table edge finding this rather interesting as well as the girl herself. Not a bad day so far.

"legitimate weights huh. Must of pissed off the commander pretty hard to get those slapped on you though to say you've not given up like the one who puked on my boots this morning"

Aria couldn't help but chuckle as she extended a hand in greeting. May as well get first impressions right.

"It's quite Impressive. Aria Sylvara. A pleasure to meet you. Hopefully you didn't have to announce you'd spit on your own mothers grave if ordered to"

A smile graced her lips as she got a look at the table in front of her briefly before focusing back on Maya again as she brought up a topic she had to catch wind of while she was too involved in her mothers journal.

"So you're interested in the survey corps ? Most I've heard just want a cushy life in the military police or at least a somewhat laid back in the garrisons. Personally, I'd rather contribute to humanity instead of sitting on my ass and rotting"

She noticed some of the numbers in the mess hall slowly start dwindling but she decided it was better than sleeping early. She'd only just wake up in the middle of the night cursing at herself to get back to bed and get some rest. She could see the laid back attitude somewhat in Maya's smile while also having already heard and experienced her chipper nature somewhat. This girl was one to keep around.

"What cabin are you ? All going well so far we may just be cabin buddies and if so, excuse me if I'm up and about making noise getting ready for training at god knows when in the morning"

Aria smirks kindly and rests her arms back on the table listening to Maya.

Lillian Ward

Almost like an owl's, Lillian's head swiveled in the direction of the boy who had spoke to her, as if sizing him up. Then, she spoke, her tone relatively level despite her initial demeanor.

"I don't plan on it." She said, shaking her head a little.

"But I doubt the Commander will like me slacking off. Oh well." She added, yawning a little.

However, it was only as Viktor introduced himself and sat down that she suddenly took notice of something; the extra bowl Vilhelm had left for her and Emil, the latter of which had not touched the food yet.

A sudden, primal instinct overtook her just for a moment as she quickly snatched the bowl before VIktor finished sitting down... A wild look in her eyes, before her expression returned to normal, as she began eating the soup, slower this time as she wasn't quite as fanished as she was earlier.

"Eh. Sit where you want. I don't care."

Lillian either forgot to, or just didn't bother to share her name as Viktor sat down at her table. She hadn't been expecting company, but the table wasn't too crowded, so she wasn't in a hurry to leave either. Besides, she might as well get a good look at her fellow Cadets while she was at it; figure out just how hard she would have to try... To make the bare minimum in this training camp.​

"Your mother's journal? She must have been in the survey corps, huh?" Maya peeks at the journal quickly, something about weak points on titans or their anatomy. She wasn't sure, all she saw was the nape circled on a sketch of a titan. Maya had her father's teachings to go by, but she was really curious to see what this girl's mother had written down in that notebook. She frowned a little as the book got closed and set down, hoping she'd get to see it's contents at some point.

The girl knocked on Maya's leg weights, the things she was trying to forget existed but was nearly impossible to do so. Her question caused an immediate sigh from Maya. "I was expecting some kind of hard time because I mentioned family in the survey corps, and when Kyle was watching me put these on he said something about me never going to end up half the soldier my father ever was. My father told me to strive to be better than him all the time before I had signed up. So I of course said that I'd be better than him... And then he upped the weights by five pounds a piece..." Maya confidently, but sadly smiled, Kyle was going to have to really try his damnedest to even begin to break her.

Maya shook her head slightly and quickly, snapping out of her staring off into space. "Oh you were next to the one who puked! Some people really aren't cut out for this at all. throwing up in terror and quitting on the first day. Yikes..." She took her hand and gently shook it, giving her a small two finger salute after letting go."I don't remember having to say that, maybe Kyle just forgot I guess." Maya half chuckled, the grimness of whole idea was somewhat funny. "Oh, sorry! I'm Maya Osbern! I don't know if my last name rings any bells. But I remember my father talking about a woman with, I think, your last name. Might have been spelled differently... A-anyway, you bet I'm interested in the Survey corps! My mom and Dad told me everything from every outing they had! They talked about 70 meter tall trees, lakes, mountains... I don't even know what half the stuff they talked about is! My parents wanted me to join the corps, we all knew the risks, but dying for your race is the most noble of deaths." Maya got really into what she was saying, moving her arms and hands roughly in the shape of all the landmarks her parents talked about, over expressing herself practically. Overly passionate about the idea of being in the Survey corps, something her father would be proud of for sure.

As Maya kept rambling about the things her parents told her, she finally stopped and let Aria speak. "I'm in cabin A! Same one as Arthur over there. Mister tall dark and mysterious." Maya pointed over in his general direction with her thumb, not turning her head at all, she was too busy engaging with Aria. "So if Kyle put you there, then we probably are Cabin buddies! You shouldn't worry about making too much noise, if you get up early that'll be for the best. I'm always up early, my parents always were too, so I had to get up at the same time to see them off." Maya took the pocket watch out of her pocket and clicked it open. "Speaking of which, early to bed, early to rise. We should probably get going somewhat soon. No rush though." Maya smiled again with her hands in her lap, clearly interested by Aria.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteAngel
Aria Sylvara

Smiling, Aria looked back to the book in her pocket replying whenever given the chance by Maya after a few long periods of talking which she didn't mind really. It was good to see she had similar interests with someone else who also had parents in the corps. a hand gently resting on the book as it was near and dear to her as well as full of precious information of course which would be used to any sort of advantage against her coming fights if she graduated.

"While mom did tell me stories at times when she returned home from expeditions, I barely understood it until i got much older. Sadly this was the only thing that could of been recovered from what my dad said he was told..."

Sighing softly for a moment she shook her head before focusing on Maya again as the topic of family was brought up again. she tapped her chin in curiosity tapping her boot against the hard wooden floor making a few audible thuds and taps before snapping her fingers.

"Osbern...it rings a bell....my mother said something about two people she was really close with on scouting operations. I can't say for sure though but I wouldn't be surprised if our last names came up in conversation. Either way I think we'll create plenty of more stories to tell but of course for now"

She stands up and stretches her arms backwards hearing a decent crack as she smacked her lips and looked to Maya while taking a look in the direction she pointed taking a glance at who she assumed was Arthur and a possible cabin mate.

"Cabin A seems like my place for resting and training is early tomorrow. I'm assuming combat as well as some other types of things. I think I'll join you in that walk back for the night"

Standing up Aria slides her way out of the space between tables and the bench before waiting for Maya to join her, However as she did so, a certain cadet spoke up from behind.

"Book smarts wont win this war you know. You should of been on the cart home if you think it'll get you through training"

The sound of a book opening came from behind Aria as she turned to see her mothers journal in the hands of a much larger male cadet. His curiosity got the better of him flipping it open and turning the pages moving towards Aria while the girl herself just watched with an amused expression from the actions.

"If your mom used this it obviously didn't come in handy considering she's in the ground as I overheard from you in line up. Do yourself and the rest of those who actually want to achieve something here a favor. Next morning, board that cart home and go sell yourself on the stre-"

Before he could even finish, the book was knocked into the air by a quick elbow from Aria before she grabbed the partially outstretched arm and twisted behind it back applying pressure as the larger cadet had a look of minor pain on his face as Aria smirked and spoke up.

"You should have more respect for your fellow cadets. We're here to learn, make our own paths and help humanity in a war we've been losing for years. Now. apologize and finish your food for the night."

Aria leans in close with a whisper to his ear making her motion clear.

"Pray to the goddesses you aren't matched against me in combat training..."

"I'm sorry I'm sorry!"

Aria smiles and lets go of his arm patting him on the shoulder as she bends down to pick up her book placing it under her arm and turning to Maya beckoning with a hand.

"Lets get some rest shall we, Maya ?"

She heads to the door of the mess hall stepping out into the dimly lit cold night as she walked towards her cabin with hopefully Maya following behind. She didn't care if she was reported to the commander the next morning. One thing was clear in her mind. Nobody insulted her family or touched her belongings without asking. Whatever happened tomorrow, Aria wouldn't fight it. She'd do as a soldier does and comply regardless of the consequences.

Last edited:
Blake Hange

The day was hotter than usual, the sun just seemed to be baking everything that it touched. A bead of sweat rolled down the young boys face from the hot sun. Blake stood in line as the commander went around trying to scare the weaker cadets out of the program. There was no way Blake was leaving. He was planning on making the titans pay for taking his parents from him and his kid brother, and if Blake left now how would he be able to protect Bolt from the titans? Blake focused back on the commander as he went around from cadet to cadet yelling at them to tell him who they were.

Blake was next up, Commander Kyle got right up in the thirteen year old's face and started yelling at him like he had done to the rest of the cadets, making comments about his age and how he wouldn't survive. Blake stood there stoned face waiting for his turn to answer. Blake had saluted the commander exactly how his father had shown him to do it when he was just a kid, that was years ago but he still remembered. "My name is Blake Hange Sir! My father was in the survey corps years ago before he was killed by a titan. I am here to get some payback Sir!" The commander would give off a few more remarks before going onto the next cadet.

After the commander had gotten through all of the cadets it was time for them to start training. Quite a few cadets had dropped out, but there was still over one hundred cadets left. They were put through a long day of running, push ups, sit ups and plenty of more training exercises. Even though Blake was one of the younger kids there, he was one of the top performing cadets as well. He planned on making the top ten, even though he didn't plan on joining the military police, he was going to join the survey corps, there was no stopping that.

As the sun started to set they ended their training for the day. They were told to go to the mess hall for dinner. Blake would make his way towards the mess hall. They were being served potato soup with a little bit of meat in it. It didn't taste that great, but it didn't taste that bad either, considering some of the things he and Bolt had to eat after their mother passed away or some of the days when they didn't eat. This meal was like a five star meal to him. Blake took one of the few empty seats left and started to chow down.

[Collab post by @York and @Desert Bee ]​

Those at Vilhelm's table continued to amicably, or at least non-aggressively, chat. He chuckled at Emil's following through with the joke to raid the instructors' cabin for pillows, but it was a light laugh without eye contact. Something Vilhelm strived to avoid, casually, the rest of the evening. Ignoring the boy would be for the best. Vilhelm was in the military for a single reason and didn't need... the past catching up with him.

He did notice, however, that the silver-haired boy had ignored the soup. It instead being collected by the amber haired girl--Lillian, if he recalled right--and was summarily devoured in hasty fashion. Her eating habits were a mix of humorous and refreshing to Vilhelm. He didn't like judging people and had always kept as open a mind as he could. Even so, his mind did itch whenever he saw other cadets being picky about their food. Guess that's just how it is for the well off, he thought, setting his jaw.

After some time, a few others had joined there table--one of them an exasperated man named Viktor--as well as a quiet girl reading a worn book. The hour was growing late though, so Vilhelm merely offered a friendly nod and grin to the cadets. He would need to head off early if he had any chance of locating his bunk. Vilhelm still had no idea which bed was his aside from the fact he shared it with someone called Ludger, but Lillian and Emil had both mentioned Cabin A so now was as good a time as any to investigate.

Standing from the table, Vilhelm noticed the other cadets had finished their meals and decided to put away the dishes for them. He was keen to offer a friendly look their way before removing any bowls. After getting a stack of four dishes, plus two from Lillian, he brought them to the two staff attendants washing the broth plastered dishes.

"Evening there," he said laying the bowls and cups on their counter. "Thanks for the meals and keepin them warm, they were great." Vilhem's grin was met with dead eyes from the duo, but he at least got a smirk from the woman.

"Heh. Apparently great ain't enough for most of you lot," the male cook said with a snort, scraping crust from the pot with a metal spoon. "Would love to see what perfect does for you brats."

Before the cook could continue, Vilhelm heard a thwack followed by whimpering and the mess hall going silent. He spun around and saw a large cadet's arm being held in a joint-lock by a thin brunette. She whispered something into his ear before dropping him and heading for the exit with another girl in tow.

"Ahh..." Vilhelm stalled for a moment. I'm... not sure what just happened, but its for the best if it doesn't escalate... not that the guy looks real ready to try anything. He trodded over to the well-built, and shaking cadet to help him from his knees back to his feet. "Easy there, guy," Vilhelm said in his monotone voice. "Let's just get you to the bunks, yeah?"

----------

Lillian in the meantime stayed behind to chat with Emil for a bit longer... But her gaze lingered on Vilhelm for a while before he disappeared into the crowd.

If it weren't for her own insistence on doing the bare minimum to graduate, she might have gone to help him.

However, it was then that she noticed a commotion nearby; a cadet had decided to jeer at the girl who had been reading earlier. Unfortunately for him, he vastly underestimated her strength.

Overpowered in an instant... And with something whispered into his ear, he dropped to the ground.

Though to her surprise, Vilhelm decided to approach and help the Cadet who had initially went in over his head when he had made the mistake of jeering at someone who he probably hadn't expected to fight back. By now, he had likely learned his lesson, but at the same time... She decided she would make sure of that.

"I'll be in Cabin A. Feeling a little... Tired." She said abruptly, letting out another, more genuine sounding yawn.

However, despite disappearing into the crowd in the canteen, she kept track of where Vilhem was in the room.

Of course, her intention was to follow him, make sure that young Cadet didn't start any more trouble, or so she told herself... But at the same time, she didn't want to make it too obvious.

As she passed many tables, the instincts she had developed living on the streets resurged here and there. Food was occasionally left over, or completely untouched on some of the plates left around, sometimes even completely unattended. Looks like not everyone bothered to finish their meals.

The temptation to take something for herself was almost overwhelming, but in the end... She had to remind herself that she was no longer just a street rat stealing food. No, in order to escape the confines of these walls, and the lifestyle she was forced to adopt within... She had to start acting more like a soldier, even if she was planning on slacking for the most part.

----------

As Lillian tracked the battered cadet and Vilhelm through the mess, a lanky boy tripped past her. Amid the accidental bump, a piece of bread fell out of his arms but the boy had several pieces to spare.

Ahead, the bigger man shook off Vilhelm. "Shove off, grunge. Tch, that piece of...." He grimaced, mumbling curses under his breath. "Ludger? Ludger! We're leavin, let's go."

Vilhelm subconsciously bristled after being shoved aside, and then blinked a few times at hearing that name. Wait... Ludger. That's who I'm bunked with, right? Heh. Phew. Breathing a sigh of relief, Vilhelm followed in behind the smaller boy who was holding something pressed against his chest.

"Figure I'll just retire with guys, if its all the same," Vilhelm said mostly to himself, as he followed the one named Ludger as he trailed after his compatriot from the mess hall to Cabin A.

----------

Almost like a vulture, Lillian swooped in and grabbed the bread before it even had a chance to hit the floor.

She wasn't hungry anymore, but... At the same time, she didn't feel like letting food go to waste.

Clutching it in her arms, as if she were hiding a valuable treasure, she followed Vilhelm, her eyes taking in her surroundings as she tailed him to Cabin A.

It was going to be too troublesome to explain why she had followed them at all, so instead, she figured she would wait outside of the Cabin for a few moments before actually entering.

That way it didn't look too suspicious, or so she thought.

Nalani Wolff

The girls salute was firm and absolute, as she had practiced it countless times. All that ran through her mind was the night before, having dinner with her brother Henry, who couldn't bring himself to say a word, no matter how much Nalani prodded and bugged. He was just too afraid to see her join the corps. Today marked three weeks since he had transferred to the Garrison regiment, and three weeks since she had moved out of her parents home.

She had aspired to become a schoolteacher just like her mother, but that changed upon the news of the second youngest in the family having been killed in battle. Titan fodder as they called it.

With that, she wanted nothing more than to slay every last one of them. A foolish thought, maybe, but it was fiercely genuine. Her parents made sure she had no combat or military experience whatsoever, but from what her brothers had told her boot camp would fix that. There were some doubts, of course. After all if camp was so effective, why was her brother nearly eaten alive his first day in the field? All she could think was how he had flown too close too the sun. Nalani would make sure to keep a safe distance.

Well, as safe as she needed to be to slice some napes all the while, of course. Henry's stories of how he would take on groups of titans on his own, slicing them down one by one, it was like watching superman describe his day. Now he was so filled to the brim with guilt he could hardly mutter a word, nor anymore stories of the outside, as he vowed never to step foot out there again.

Maybe it was her longing to reinvigorate that soldier spirit in Henry once again that lead Commander Kyle to pass her up for a scolding. She wasn't the only one spared from his wrath, but surely in the next few years it was bound to come. It was that idea and her desire to see her Henry brimming with life again that pushed her to the limits of her physicality. By the end of the day she was thoroughly beaten, but not broken. No, her place was on the front lines with the corps. She would get there or die trying.

A fatigued Nalani had no interest in getting to know anybody, especially after training. She grabbed her food and plopped down at the nearest bench, completely ignoring the group of cadets that accompanied her and attempted to make friends and small talk. It hadn't even been a month since her brothers passing, and his funereal occurred just the week prior. Her mood was sour, but the food was decent enough. Nalani was the first out the doors of the mess hall and into her bunk in Cabin A. Sleep claimed her instantly.

Last edited: