Attack on Titan - Expedition

"I'm kinda hoping the two your mother mentioned were my parents. maybe. Hopefully in a good way. They were a great team!" Maya got caught up in her excitement over her parents again. She had to stop doing that so much. "Yeah Cabin A it is then! I'm sure no one will mind us sharing a room or anything, I really want to get a better look at that field guide your mother wrote, the more knowledge the better. I-if that's alright with you of course." Maya smiled a little awkwardly, but was still comfortable. She didn't feel like Aria would mind her much... Hopefully.

As Maya heard what the other Cadet said, she slowly stood up and cracked her knuckles viciously. Getting ready to break their nose if she had to. But suddenly Aria grabbed his arm, twisted it, pulled it, and subdued him. Making him beg for mercy. Maya's hands fell limply to her sides and her eyes widened as she watched. She hadn't seen someone actually properly stick up for themselves, let alone get someone into an arm lock that fast, let alone a girl... That was kinda hot. Maya was blushing faintly, but she shook her head and got rid of it. As Maya followed Aria out, She turned to the guy she just embarrassed. Holding two fingers up to her own eyes then pointing them at the guy. If Aria wasn't going to be nice, neither was Maya. Thinking it over though, Maya really wanted Aria for combat training now...

As Maya trailed behind Aria on their way to their cabin she thought about three things... one: she left Arthur behind... He'd probably be fine, two: that was still pretty hot what Aria did, three: the leg weights were chafing, damn it. "So uh, where'd you learn to do that from? I was about to turn the jerk's nose into paste with my fist, but... It was kinda cool seeing you subdue that guy. I really would like to have you as a training partner, if we have any energy after the shit Kyle puts us through." Maya snickered a bit at the thought of Kyle trying to run them out of energy, but realized it'd very much be possible.

Maya lagged behind a bit to look up at the moon for a few seconds before walking up by Aria's side again. It brought her away from where she was, in a way. She caught her father doing it a lot with and without her Mother. He'd sometimes stare for hours. It made her think of her future. Something she didn't do very much. She blinked heavily and snapped herself out of her thoughts, she looked at Aria again with her token warm smile as she went up the few steps to hold the cabin door open for her. "Pick whichever bunk you want, I think we're here first. I'll probably just take the bunk above or below you, if that's fine." Maya shrugged, and spoke in a low voice in case someone was in the cabin before them.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteAngel
Aria Sylvara

As the sounds of insects in the night echoed around them, it eased her mind after the recent encounter. Listening to the sudden question brought up, Aria let Maya catch up before speaking. She was happy to share some of her prior teachings even if they had their own scars.

"While my mom served the corps I had more time with my dad than I ever thought I would have. While he taught me the basics of chopping wood for fires, cooking and keeping out of trouble, he also taught me how to fight and defend myself. I was about knee height or maybe a tiny bit bigger when my dad taught me. As the years went on it didn't get any prettier but not everything does with age sometimes."

Turning and stopping Maya in her tracks for a moment lifting her right sleeve showing a rather long and lingering couple of scars near her elbow letting her get a good look even with the dimly lit area around them.

"First time I was injured during my training with my dad after my mom didn't come back from her expedition beyond the walls. He Broke my arm and a few shards happened to pierce the skin. Hurt like hell but it taught me how to subdue someone if I pulled and twisted hard enough. Just need to apply it to the right situation is all. If you do end up with me as a combat partner I won't go easy is all I'll say~"

She smiled kindly and smirked continuing her walk as she yawned loudly as they approached the cabin doors and a hand from her side pulled it open gesturing Aria inside seeing it relatively empty for now though that would soon change she imagined. The interior was simple but for some reason it felt homely. She'd get used to this quickly especially for the rest of her cadet life these next few years.

"Top or bottom bunk I don't mind either way. A bed is a bed, rest is rest and I'll happily take that right now"

Aria said stepping in before gesturing Maya in and closing the door behind her. Her boots tapped the hard wooden floor looking around for where she preferred as Aria soon picked out a bed toward the back of the cabin. Slipping off her boots and cadet uniform and into some casual looking civilian clothing used for bed wear, she climbed from the bottom bed and onto the top as she rested herself and her head onto the pillow sighing calmly and content with this.

"Oh and Don't keep yourself up too long reading. Last thing you want is the commander adding extra weight to those things right ? Just don't lose it or damage it. I think my example in the hall explains itself~"

Chuckling softly she gently dropped the very same journal onto the bed sheets for Maya. If she wished for some extra knowledge and insight to her mothers adventures, who was she to say no to a girl like Maya ? Especially one she had taken interest in too. Aria slipped under her covers and rested her head closing her eyes as she soon felt herself drifting off but not before mumbling to her bunk mate

"Night Maya..."

She yawned before falling silent and drifting off to sleep with some much needed rest in mind for tomorrow's training regime.​

• Love
Reactions: Twisted
The Next Day
The cadets that made it through the first day were tired and beat from a grueling day of training and standing in the heat. Many had already quit. The starting numbers were well over two hundred cadets and now they barely topped one hundred. Half the cadets had already dropped from just one day and one day was all they needed to learn that they were not cut out for the Military lifestyle, even if the Garrison and Military Police seemed so lax and easy to the common eye. Some cadets were trying to tough it out but grit alone would not be enough. Today the rest would be weeded out and only the cadets that belonged would be remaining.

The watchtower bell rang early in the morning, the sun still beneath the horizon. Cadets being stirred from their deep slumber and quickly on their feet and dressed with bed properly made. They would be served a quick, small breakfast before moving out into the large training yard. Large metal beams had been set up over the course of the night and wires that emulated the three-dimensional movement gear was in place. The uniforms the cadets wore also had harnesses as part of the gear, so they could use the 3DM at a moments notice if needed.

"Listen up you shits," Kyle called out as the cadets lined up in formation and saluted. "Some of you are gutting this out, proving you belong here but this isn't for everyone. Today I will weed out every single one of you that does not belong here. The Omni-Directional Mobility Gear is the heart of the Corps." Everyone knew about the ODM gear from school and possible military parents. Kyle didn't need to go into detail about why the ODM was the lifeblood of the Survey Corp. or any of the other Branches. The Survey Corp. simply got the most use out of them.

"If you can't stay upright by the end of the day. You will be heading home." Kyle kept it simple this time. He didn't beat around the bush and insult them, or try and bury the point under a mountain of positivity. It was clear cut and dry. If you couldn't stay upright on the proxy ODM gear then you would be sent home and kicked out of the Training Corp. "Now move and get in line!" Kyle yelled as the cadets obeyed. Today wouldn't be a rest day. The lucky bastards that would be able to quickly show they had balance, strength and skill with the ODM would be put through more training for the rest of the day while the other sorry sobs would have to figure it out quickly on how to stay upright and not faceplanting into the turf.

Whhhh hnn
Whhhh hnn
Whhhh hnn

The pitch morning was chill and windless, Vilhelm's rhythmic breathing and dirt-crunching footfalls voiding the otherwise silent air as he jogged the training field's craggy plain. Insects and other wildlife were strangely quiet but he supposed nature sounds were more prominent in the surrounding forests. All the same, it allowed his mind to slip into a meditative trance that was empty and quiet, just Vilhelm's breathing and running to keep him company.

Back in the day, he'd attempted other mind-quietting techniques but nothing seemed to work as well as this. It was the only thing that shook off bad dreams and cruel thoughts for Vilhelm. Though he imagined his ritualistic exercise would offer up some token benefit in keeping up with the other teenage recruits.

Lessening his pace to a brisk stride, Vilhelm threw his hands up to his waist and took deep breaths through his mouth. His heart solidly beating in an energetic and not totally unpleasant feeling. So, he said internally. Been here a day now. Thoughts?

To be honest, everyone here felt far more... vibrant, impassioned maybe, than Vilhelm. Even the ones keeping to themselves. It wasn't necessarily a burning will to excel, though he did see a bit of that in some. More like... well, more like they wanted to be here. Or maybe I'm just coloring my perception with my own issues. Heh. Before long, he was back to the cabins, and headed to the central well. That said, not everyone wants to be. Mister This-or-prison seemed that way- Vilhelm's hands on the rope froze mid hoist, then tightened until his knuckles went white. Shut up. Shut up shut up shut up. Give me one day of peace.

Staring into the roped up bucket, Vilhelm braced for his reflection. Let-down long black hair framed a thin patchily stubbled face with sallow eyes. He traced the scar under his right eye with his index finger. More than a graze, less than a gash, the wound had never healed properly. Raising the corners of his mouth, he tried to smile but his eyes weren't having it. Still, it was the best a dead man could do.

He cupped some water and brought the cool wet to his face, washing away sweat and remaining vestiges of fatigue. In a few hours the sun would rise. Vilhelm imagined though the instructors would call them before that.

Returning to his room in Cabin A, carrying boots in hand to soften his step, he shuffled barefoot into the last room. His bunk-mates were still in their breath-slowed slumber as Vilhelm silently stripped away his running clothes. He wasn't being quiet to hide the fact he'd been out at night--something the training staff likely wouldn't be a fan of--so much as he was trying to not disturb them. Everyone in the training corp had had a tenuous first day and it was only going to get harder. They'd need plenty of rest to maintain their health; a thought Vilhelm ironically noted with a wiry grin.

As Vilhelm pulled on his black shirt, six dongs from a bell sounded into the cabin. A groaning whimper came from the bottom bed of Vilhelm's bunk, as Ludger buried his head under a pillow. "... Ugh, just kill me now," the blond mumbled. The other two in their room were rousing from their sleep as well.

The older, black-haired cadet smiled. This time a simple effort, and a genuine grin. It was nice to see emotion in others, any emotion, not eroded by cold apathy.

"One step at a time, there," said Vilhelm monotonously as he pulled his hair up, tying it back. "Let's get some breakfast, then we can worry about dying."

By the time everyone had assembled in the barren field--fed, dressed, and in formation--the early sun had risen, casting the sky in orange and pink hues.

Instructor Kyle announced their next training course would surround learning to use the 3-Dimensional Mobility gear. Or rather, as the instructor had put it, to see who had apptitude for the 3DM gear and who would be going home.

The remaining 100 or so of the 98th were splintered off into groups of ten and toward their respective nine-meter training contraption. Comprised of three long metal beams protracting into a pyramid mounted with a horizontal winch that had two steel cords dangling from each end. As their respective instructor for the training device called for a cadet to go first, grabbing someone from the front and hooking the cords to her waist rig, Vilhelm found himself instinctively ambling toward the rear of his small group.

If Vilhelm were to make a basic deduction, he would say the lengthy harnesses underneath each of their uniforms were instrumental for stability and controlled movement when being strung above ground by the metal wires. More than likely, strong abdominal and hip muscles would be a requirement for adept usage; probably likewise for the legs. A person would need to stiffen their core while loosening the rest of their body, Vilhelm figured. The difficulty ought to be in fine-tuned movements more than anything.

"Hey, this ain't so b-WWWAAAAHAHAHHH!!!" Wires twisted and made a rushing noise as the first cadet up cart-wheeled backwards and slammed the back of her head into the craggy earth.

Or maybe theory is irrelevant and this was going to be another long and painful day, Vilhelm thought as he pursed his lips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aria Sylvara

Dreams were never something that Aria had all that much when she woke up from a nights sleep or even a nap, but on the rare occasion they decided to grace her with their presence it was always the same. Her parents in their home, and herself along with them when she was just little. It played out like it always did. Hearing her mother tell stores of the expeditions, her dad making dinner and it topped itself off with a good nights rest. It was a reminder of happier times before her mother was taken by the fateful expedition and before her father spiraled into a more depressive and agitated state as her years went by.

It always made her question of why that dream and why not something else or even a nightmare from time to time. The many mysteries of sleep was all she could think of for a basic answer whenever she did wake from a dream filled slumber.

The sun slowly rose as the bells rang waking up Aria earlier than ever before almost. Hearing those around her groan with the sudden disturbance, she quickly got to her routine of what would be nearly every morning in her training. Hopping off her top bunk taking a quick look back at the slumbering Maya, Aria dressed herself slipping on her trousers, boots and finally her jacket and whatever else needed to be required for the day to start as well as not being caught out by the commanders.

Walking loudly towards the door she took a look back at Maya before nodding with a smirk and heading out closing the cabin door behind her. She could trust her to return the book especially after what was seen of last night's display. Once again making her way to the hall for a quick breakfast before walking with a large group of other cadets to their main stage for the day. Aria quickly lined up positioned just like the line up from yesterday as her commander loudly explained their routine for the day.

"Slyvara! front and center!"

Aria quickly jolted to alert as she stepped forward saluting slamming her fist into her chest as she heard her commander call her out. She had a feeling what this was but she knew the consequences and wouldn't back herself down or into a corner.

"I've been hearing rumors of your tiny ass restraining another cadet last night in the mess hall. If there is one thing I will not tolerate it is assaulting another cadet no matter what the situation may be. Especially from another vomit rag Cadet like yourself!"

A sudden punch to her gut felled Aria to her knee but she slammed her fist back onto her chest attempting not to throw up breakfast as she choked out.

"Y-yes sir! It wont happen..again sir!"

"Now on your feet and into your gear! Now, vomit rag!"

She nodded and steadied herself back to her feet as she was pointed to her station for training however the commander made his way over seemingly replacing her belt as she soon strapped herself in before nodding to be raised upwards. Before she could even realize and even partially off the ground, she tipped backwards slamming her head straight into the ground gasping painfully as she placed her palms on the dirt before pushing herself back up for balance. However she felt unsteady even with her lack of knowledge on the devices. She breathed slowly as her legs dangled but her body quivered feeling extra unbalance in her system.

"Sylvara! Your trial today will be much different than the other shit stains here when using the ODM gear. You will be performing the balancing act with a broken belt! It doesn't matter if its unfair, its what I choose for you. Now balance like your life depends on it or you will be off this ground and on the cart back to your sorry excuse of a home! Understood Vomit Rag?!"

"Yes Sir! I will balance like my sorry life depends on it, Sir!"

Aria attempted to salute again only to feel her balance thrown off once again as she continued to focus on the matter at hand. This was serious now and it could end her dream in just a matter of seconds. Sighing softly, she slowed her breathing attempting to keeper her more than usual wobbly balance with the gear as she could feel the added pressure as a bead of sweat rolled down her forehead, onto her cheek and onto the dirt grounds.

Meanwhile in the corner of her eye she could catch various other recruits beginning their training as there were many failures in just a few seconds while some managed to steadily keep balance all the while feeling the pressuring eyes on her with her ODM training handicap for the morning and the hot sun beating down on them like before.

Arthur Sutherland

"Focus on doing enough Arthur, and I will take care of the rest." His Father's voice rang in his mind even when he was nowhere near home he could only think or dream about how it was going to be rigged from the start for him. "Commander Kyle owes me a few favors." The dream continued on as if it was a nightmare to Arthur and to others it may be a dream to have it like this. The words that repeated in his head began to drown out as they were overpowered by the sound of early morning bells and yelling to get up.

"Huh...?" Arthur rolled on his side and grabbed the thin pillow out from under his head and placed it over his face for a second before sitting up and dropping it back down in its resting spot. Dropping down from his bunk he got ready and out within minutes to the mess hall where they would be served more slop for breakfast. It really made him realize just how spoiled he had been.

Breakfast was quick and short-lived. No bullshitting around and straight to the yard with everyone after they had mostly finished. Lining up with the other cadets. The Commander gave a short speech about the ODM gear and that today they were tasked with balancing and if they could not by the end of the day, then they would be gone. It made Arthur's stomach fall a little bit hearing that. What if he couldn't do it? The one thing that couldn't be bribed and it would be seen in front of everyone.

"Sutherland! Front and center. You are going up first." He was chosen first by one of the Training Corp. members. Taking a deep breath, Arthur saluted before stepping forward to the hooks and brought them into his belt. He steadied himself before being cranked up and raised off the ground. The feeling of being in the air like this, even just a foot or two above the ground was...different. He was rocking slowly back and forth as he tried to focus on his center and keep balance. He was remembering what he was told when it came to the ODM and how to master it. He had no practice but as long as he focused on balancing and only balancing then he could do this.

"This is easy." He practically gloated, beaming with confidence as his eyes looked up from his center and towards the cadets watching him. He was going to get this on his first try! As he was about to be cranked down as more than enough time passed, he stopped focusing on his core and balancing and suddenly everything was moving fast. Everything was a blur before he felt his head hit the ground and he was upside down, struggling to even get back up before they cranked him down so he could stand.

"Get up Cadet! Again!" The Training Soldier yelled at him to get him moving. "Yes Sir!" Arthur yelled and quickly scrambled back onto his feet before being lifted up once more, and failing again as he stopped focusing so hard on the balancing act to look up. He finally succeeded on his third try, deciding not to look up or even care if he was focusing too much on the balancing itself. The next three years he would be able to practice and master the ODM.

"Now go run ten laps around the yard." The man who was in charge of this station yelled at Arthur. "There will be no slacking on my watch. Just because you think you are special passing the most basic fucking thing. You are still garbage. Titan food just waiting to be eaten. Now move shit stain!" He yelled some more until Arthur unhooked himself and began running. He should have figured going first and passing would result in some sort of punishment.

Lillian Ward

"Someday, I want to fly high in the sky... Like a bird."

"Haha. You're just like her. Aren't you afraid?"

"Afraid of what?"

"Falling. It's a long way down, from up there."

"... Maybe a little..."

"Then why do you want to fly?"

"I want to see the world outside... I want to see what's beyond the walls..."

"Why? What's so wrong with staying here... Where you're safe?"

"I don't like it here..."

"How come?"

"It's not safe."

"You got me there... My superiors hardly do anything. It's just the cadets going out to do police work."

"..."

"When I get promoted... I'm going to change that, you know. I want to make it safe here, in these walls... Not from the titans, but other humans. I want to clean up the Military Police."

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."

"Then... I'm coming with you..."

"Right now?! ... You're still too young. But tell you what; I'll give you a head start in the training."

"Will you teach me how to fly?"

"... That's not something I can just teach you. But I can teach you how to fight. Living on the streets, you're going to need it."

"Will you teach me to fly some day?"

"Maybe... If you join me."

"Promise?"

"Hey now, don't do that."

"... Will you?"

"Fine... It's a deal. If you can make it through your training, I'll teach you. It's not easy to use... Not good for fighting people, but... If you wan't to fly... Who am I to stop you, right?"

Lillian awoke from her dreams in an odd position; she could feel a familiar, stiff structure to her side, and she could feel a cold breeze blowing upon her body.

At first, she expected to wake up leaned against the wall surrounding Stohess again, but instead... She awoke to find she was indoors, on a bunk, in an upright position oddly enough, perhaps something that had happened in her sleep.

The cold breeze has in fact just come from an open door. Looks like some of her bunk mates were already up and at it.

Getting herself up, slowly, stretching out her stiff, aching limbs, she managed to rouse herself fully just in time for a brisk breakfast.

After having her fill of food, she was informed of what they were doing today; 3D maneuver gear training.

When she was younger, she had made someome promise to teach her how to 'fly' with such a contraption, but after she had come to realize the futility of such a promise. She knew that she would have to rely on herself, if she wished to go where she wanted to.

Even though the bar wasn't exactly set high for the Survey Corps, she knew using 3D maneuver gear was still a critical step; she would be kicked out, no further questions asked if she couldn't do it, and thus... She would have to give it her all.

Unlike her usual tactic of just doing the bare minimum, she sought to get this over with as soon as possible.

Picking the line with the least amount of recruits, she soon found herself putting on the harness for the first time, and it was there that her first misconception about the gear was realized; it felt stiff, rigid almost, as if it were pushing and pulling her in every direction she wanted to NOT go.

As much as she tried to relax and close her eyes, pretending like she was a bird, she was unable to maintain her balace, despite gritting her teeth and beginning to fight against the motions of the harness that would inevitably cause her to topple.

Eventually, a minor slip-up caused her to tumble face-first into the dirt, where she lay motionless for a while, a crushing sense of defeat filling her heart to the brim.

"Aren't you afraid of falling?"

The memory of someone she had longed to forget about completely re-emerged. Even after all this time, leading up to this moment... Despite her best efforts to distance herself from him, she could sometimes still hear his almost condescending voice.

It was hard to believe at one time, that she trusted him... Thought of him like an older brother almost.

With a growl of frustration, she quickly unbuckled herself from the harness, getting herself up from the ground as she dusted herself off, giving anyone who even looked like they were going to help her a death glare before she retreated to the back of the line, somewhere alongside Vilhelm as she began to observe how the Cadets that were successfull had kept their balance.

Evidently, birds had it easy; all they had to do was flap their wings, and they were off, but humans needed special gear to even come close, and it seemed that she had severely underestimated the amount of physical fortitude one would need, in order to use it properly.

Even so... She was dead set on succeeding one way or another. She would keep trying, over and over, until she found a way to keep her balance, even if it meant she was going to end up falling a thousand times today...​

VIKTOR BALTES
The first day went by slow in unfortunate heat and a unique conversation at the mess hall. Viktor was woken up at the sound of other cadets in the cabin. It was time to move on to the next phase in their training. Slightly opening up his eyes, he was looking at the bunk above him. Looking around, watching the others get ready, a simple sigh escaped his lips.

"Another day.." Not so enthusiastic as ever, Viktor mustered the strength he had to get out of the bed. Running his hand through his hair in the process, like the others, he too, freshened up and got ready for yet another hard day. They were going to be a part of the training camp for three years, so it was more or less in his best interest to get used to his new routine.

The breakfast served was not much different than the meal they had yesterday. A quick smile was plastered on his face, encouraging himself for the upcoming days, months and years. 'I'm still here, aren't I?' Quick through and through with the food, he left for the training field. Lined up with the rest of the cadets, the Commander gave them information about what they would be doing next.

The ODM gear. Something that was absolutely important if he were to be a part of the Survey Corps. Their job was to use it to stay suspended in the air for a duration of time. To stay balanced. Viktor was actually excited about this. He felt that it was easy. It had to be. Judging by the other cadets who were up first, it wasn't.

"Baltes! You're UP!" One of the many training corp members spoke up, catching Viktor's attention. "Y-Yes sir!" Walking up, the hooks, he pulled them closer and connected them with the gear around his waist. Like the others, he was raised up in the air. Trying his best to stay in control, and balanced, he was focused.

"Heh! Easy.." Surprised and happy, he quickly lost balance and tipped forward, head almost first into the ground. However, Viktor used his arms quick enough to keep himself from being injured.

"Really!? Your feets were barely off the ground! AGAIN!!"

"Yes, sir!!" Viktor followed, slightly embarrassed by his own actions. He was likely the first one who lost balance the moment his feets were off the surface. Now then, it was time for round two. Raised up ever so slightly again, things were going well for him. At least now, he was trying to learn from his previous mistake. This wasn't easy.

'Nice nice, I can do this.' This time around, he was raised for much longer off the ground, but once again, once his eyes connected with the training corp member who was assigned to watch and observe him, he lost his balance again. Tipping forward like before, he used his hands once again to keep himself from being injured.

"Baltes! At this rate you will be the first one out. Remember, you will have to pass this test. If you FAIL.. YOU'RE OUT!!"

"I... I know sir.. I will try my best. I will not leave until I pass this test!!"

The training camp member sighed at his response. Disappointed whatsoever, he raised Viktor off the ground once again. Absolutely focused this tiem around, he kept his balance while suspended in the air long enough for him to finally pass. The hooks were off, and the training camp member approached him.

Viktor had a smile on his face. He was happy to know, despite the hardship, the third time was the charm. "Good job, Baltes." The training camp member smiled, placing his hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks, sir!"

Getting up close. "You might just survive when a Titan comes for you!" Pushing him off the side, the man continued. "Now get your ass out there and run ten laps like Sutherland over there!

Saluting, he quickly followed orders. "Why can't they just be nice. Do they achieve better results with that attitude?" Whispering to himself, he joined up with the other cadet.

Blake Hange

After dinner Blake had gone back to cabin A and had quickly and quietly passed out. He didn't really talk to anyone on the first day and he was okay with that. He was there for two reasons and two reasons only, to learn how to kill titans and to protect his brother. If he didn't make any friends during this then whatever he would survive. Since his parents passed away Blake had to grow up quickly for his brothers sake and he really didn't have much time to make or have friends growing up, so this would be no different.

Blake was abruptly woken up when the bells from the bell tower tolled. This signaled that all the cadets had to wake up and get ready for the day. Blake quickly rolled out of bed and made it to the standard that the military expected it to be. Then he got his uniform on and went to the mess hall and grabbed breakfast. It was a light breakfast just enough to get them through for a while. They then all formed outside as the commander walked them through what they would be doing today. On this day they would learn how to use the ODM gear, the most important gear that the military uses. This was the gear that made it possible for soldiers to fly though the air and be able to fight against the titans. Commander Kyle explained what they would be doing, they would have to learn how to use these correctly and if they couldn't, well then they'd be kicked out of the program. Blake inwardly got a little nervous. If he couldn't figure out how to use these machines then he'd be gone, and he would never fulfill his two goals. That was something that simply could not happen.

Blake was ushered into his group of ten and watched as other cadets got into their rigs. Blake figured he might as well be the first from his group as no one else was seeming like they wanted to go first. He looked at their groups training soldier. "Sir I'll go first." The soldier laughed a little as the young 13 year old got into his gear and got ready to try this thing out. "Alright kid you can go first, just don't complain when you fail quick and get sent home." Blake got set up into the rig and took a deep breath, Blake then got into the rig and started to try and get a hang of the gear, he smirked and thought to himself "Wow this is easy" Just as he thought that he fell backwards and almost slammed his head on the dirt except that he was able to catch and balance himself at the last second. Blake groaned as he pushed himself with his muscles back up straight and continued to try and keep his balance. Blake looked around as he saw other cadets either fail or succeed with their gear. This drove Blake to do well, after about twenty minutes of some failures and some successes he was able to pretty much perfectly balance himself. "See no problem this is easy." Commander Kyle came by just as Blake had said this.

The commander stopped and looked at the kid he then laughed "Sure kid its easy when you're in this safe atmosphere with no enemy around, but when you're about to be a titans next meal are you going to be able to handle yourself like that. I highly doubt it." The commander yelled at the kid and made sure that everyone could hear it. "For now you confident little shit you pass, get off of there and go run some laps thats your reward for passing while we wait for the rest of these clowns to be done. Now move it!" Blake got off of the rig and let the next cadet in line go "Yes Sir!"
With that Blake would go and start to get ready to run laps.

The first day was a grueling grind but Kaita had remained focused and out of the way as the commanders barked orders at her. She didn't particularly care about the worth this particular man had talked about nor did she care about how loud he was as he spoke. She listened to each of the words and remained quiet and stoic as they did their jobs. She knew they were trying to break the people here and placing them in high stress situations was the way to accomplish this. Doing the exercises and routines were what she had expected and as she looked amongst the others. She could read the loss of morale on their faces and as her body ached, she wasn't surprised that some of them were already wishing to leave. She despised this idea and didn't enjoy the fact people were so willing to give in. Such a way of thinking would only make them more likely to be defeated and less likely to succeed.

Humans had likely faced near extinction at some point. She thought of all the stories and history that must have happened from long ago. How humans must have suffered and fought one another and what things they must have fought for. Such things seemed like a dream, sure there were problems that definitely happened every once in a while and the separation of the poor and rich was something that was clear here. Living within the most center walls were luxurious and filled with food and resources but being deployed here, it was something completely different. They were not starving but the food was simply passable and it was something created more with the intent to keep soldiers fed rather than treat them.

She had tried to talk to some of the others. Especially those that had wanted to leave. Giving them words of advice and even giving some of them her own food if need be. As she sat with her comrades around a table. She noticed a particular girl looking at the food almost as if she had found her prey. She didn't say anything but she kept an eye on her as she imagined what life she must have lead before becoming one of them.

She hadn't slept much that night. Her mind was too focused on what would be ahead of them and those that already wanted to leave. She didn't know what would happen if about half would give up so easily. There was no doubt times where humans wouldn't able to simply choose and if they had the option, I believe humans would overwhelmingly decide to have a fighting chance rather than have absolutely nothing and become a victim.

She awoke the next morning as her eyes opened carefully. She was laying in bed as she stroked her hair and carefully pulled a band from her arm before tying her hair into a ponytail. She had cut it to make sure it would get less in her way and looking at the others in Cabin A. She hadn't made any friends or even acquaintances yet. Though, she knew she would at least get to know them soon. She was fourteen and there were going to be three years of this before they would be allowed to graduate. She also, had to leave during that time to avoid any marriages. Fifteen would tie her to being wed and she refused that.

She got up as her body felt stiff and unhappy though she ignored it as she got her clothes in order and made sure they were up too standard as she rid of a simple shirt. She was already wearing shorts which she wore underneath her uniform as well as making sure the jacket was on well. She made her way to breakfast and was not surprised but she ate what she could and offered anyone around her any particularly better tasting left overs. She eventually made her way to training and this is where she seemed surprised. The 3-D mobility gear would be tested today. With the intense amount of training given the day before she was surprised they would now need to focus on something that would require balance.

She shouldn't be surprised by such tactics. Making things brutal and now making things even more difficult. It seemed definitely a part of the plan as she watched as many people attempted the first round of trying as they settled themselves within the equipment. She kept her eyes on them as she noticed the people failing at first. Watching for any particular reason as to why that was. She also looked at those that succeeded and tried to figure for what reason they did.

"ARE YOU LISTENING CADET!? With that kind of focus you will be Titan feces in seconds. If a Titan sneaks up on you, it won't simply be your life that is lost! Any one of the people here might lose their lives so give a damn, will you!"

She hadn't even noticed that this man was talking to her as she realized he was yelling at her. She had zoned them out from the previous day. That was obviously not something good as the man began to yell at her to try the machine.

"Go up there! Give it a try! Need to see what your made of and good for! Can't keep staring off into space!"

"Yes, Sir."

She placed the mechanical apparatus on her hips as she was slowly raised off the ground. She could feel her weight shifting from side to side as she could feel her sense of balance trying to push her forward. She growled from the frustration of the lack of sleep and the already grueling and tiring process from yesterday. Focusing on keeping herself from falling was something she didn't particularly enjoy.

She cursed as she settled her eyes on the man who was charged with overseeing the test. She seemed to have given him what he wanted as she remained standing and as he was about to call for her to come down she could feel the belt move and her body suddenly lurch forward. She tried to use her hands to stop herself from falling as she felt her hand rip into the dirt onto the floor. She could feel her hand becoming warm even despite the heated day as she was lowered and the man came over to her to help her up.

She obviously didn't succeed and required to try again as she quickly wiped her hand off on her jacket before being lifted again into the air. She felt more sure this time, more stable as she kept her eyes focused and herself looking forward. She was eventually let down as she was given the success for her trial.

"Congratulations. Your reward, is to run ten laps around the yard."

"Yes, Sir."

She eventually realized that so far the only words she had given to most of the commanders here were yes or no followed by the word sir. While she was able to talk to a few and even then she didn't say much. She looked at her hand as the cuts didn't look particularly great as parts of her hands were cut across the lines within her palm. She finally appeared into the yard as she decided to join the others.

She had barely said many words and despite it only being two days. She didn't realize how little she had to say. She didn't notice if she was too focused on the exercise or the trials they were given. Maybe she was not much of a people person here. She wasn't one to essentially leave her home when she was there and now that she had gotten freedom from such a place, it didn't seem to have helped with connecting among any of the others.

She didn't know what to feel.

Reactions: Desert Bee
"Morning sunshine." Maya muttered as she heard Aria climb down from the top bunk. She was still a bit tired, but she got up and sat on the edge of the bed. She still had the leg weights on, her ankles ached like hell. She decided to at least take them off while she had breakfast. She wolfed down her breakfast, and mingled a small amount with the others that were in the mess hall. After that Maya read more of the notebook Aria had given her the night prior. She had only scratched the surface of the first few pages in terms of the books contents.

Maya looked around at everyone smacking their heads off the ground, swearing profusely, and clearly having fun. Maya was stoked, absolutely ready for this. She was excited to try and balance in ODM, her father talked so much about it and how to do it. The commander and higher ups clearly having fun demoralizing everyone as they wobbled and eventually fell. "Well, well, well." Maya turned to look at the voice, the second she turned to see she got a swift kick in her shin. She didn't flinch. "Still wearing the weights. At least you can listen, keep them on for this just because you're such a fucking good kid." The training soldier she had watching her seemed to know of her punishment, maybe they knew about her father then... "Yes sir!" Maya said with gusto as she got into position and buckled herself in.

As she was raised up she felt familiar in the situation, her father describing how to balance. slowly unbending her knees as she took her feet off the ground. She kept her arms folded for a few seconds, and had her eyes clenched shut. She didn't want to look at anything or it might cause her to lose her balance. She smiled with confidence,, thinking about how pissed the training soldiers would be if she did it on her first try.

Maya counted to five, six, sev.... seven? uh oh. Maya started tipping backwards, she threw her legs out in front of her, and put one arm behind her. She planted her palm on the ground just barely and shoved herself back upwards as hard as she could. She almost re-balanced herself, but couldn't quite do it. She re-buckled herself and tried again, nailing the task the second time. "Wow. If you keep it up I might not think you're a total fucking waste of my time; show off-y little bitch. You're just like your god damn father, now go run fifteen laps like your father too, up those weights to twenty because you seem to like over achieving." Maya frowned "Right away sir..." After hearing about the extra weight she reluctantly made her way to grab some heavier weights, her legs were still burning from yesterday, it was only going to get worse.

On her way to get the weights though, she managed to see Aria struggling to balance in her ODM. Maya waved and gave her an encouraging smile and two thumbs up, and of course a quick wink. She would've went to cheer her on, but there was a Training soldier eyeing her like a hawk, whatever Aria did it probably wasn't good. Maya took the notebook Aria gave her out of her jacket pocket and pointed to it, she wanted to return it to her when she woke up, but Maya wasn't quick enough. Hopefully Aria saw her.

• Love
It was only after the first cadet to use the training stand fell on her face and stared daggers into anyone who offered a helping hand up that it clicked for Vilhelm. Oh hey, that's um. Lillian... yikes.

When the short girl settled next to him in the back, folding her arms, Vilhelm's mouth twisted into a silent grimace of sympathy. His lips parted, Vilhelm ready to offer some practical help by suggesting his earlier theories, but pressed shut. Until trying for himself, there was nothing he could do to truly help.

The unimpressed instructor had his hands entrenched within his longcoat, shaking his head. "As difficult as it'll be to upstage that pathetic display of worthlessness, I'm sure the rest of you lot will manage it anyway. Next!"

With a considerate nod aimed to Lillian, Vilhelm stepped forward gently moving his way through the small crowd. "I'll give it a hand sir," he said, voice bored and heart pounding.

The instructor's assistant hooked both of the dangling cords to Vilhelm's hips then retreated to her station where she began to crank the lever. The two cords at Vilhelm's sides began their slow, taut ascension as his mind raced. It wasn't just Lillian. Everyone at the other stations fell too, so no matter what I'm not gonna be prepared, thought Vilhelm, the cords winched tight enough to begin pulling at his hips. He was seconds away from being mid-air. Might as well get the falling over with first.

The instant Vilhelm was off the ground, he orientated his spine forward and legs backward and was hurtling forward. Loose strands of black hair gusting backward until jostling to the front of his brow as he was deftly braced by his waiting hands. The crisp dirt stung at his palms, the earth beneath turning wet. He must have cut a hand.

Not given a chance to think, the instructor was on his knees shoving his face into Vilhem's. "What in the un-flying fuck was that! Cadet, did you take my words as a personal challenge of shit?!" He shook his head several times, lips tightly pressed. "Let him down."

"Wait, no sir! Please leave me up, I c-can do it."

"I'm sorry, what?" Instructor held a hand to his ear. "It sounded like you prefer kissing the dirt. Well, I've got some news for you," he whispered while leaning close. "THAT'S THE DAMN OPPOSITE OF HOW TO USE GEAR MEANT FOR FLYING!'Today is not opposite day, you..."

The instructor kept yelling into Vilhelm's rapidly blinking face, but the cadet wasn't being lowered from the machine as of yet. Blocking out the slew of harassment, Vilhelm had to figure this out quick. Though he had shifted his limbs and posture in order to fall, he'd felt the natural tug and pull of the machine on his harness. Even though Vilhelm had levered his torso forward, it wasn't until his legs went back that he really felt himself fall.

Maybe, maybe the body-harness uses your legs as a... not a counter-weight but. Well, yes. A complex counter-weight. That said, the straps around my back felt tugged too. So maybe if...

Taking deep, shuddery breaths Vilhelm straightened his arms to raise his torso a few inches. His legs went wide, close to an acrobatic split, as he stiffed his abdomen and moved his hips. It felt awkward minutely shifting parts of his lower half and flexing his spine backward and in an arch, but inch by inch his figure began to tilt backward. That half minute felt stretched to thirty but his figure eventually revolved that he was finally upright.

Breathing hard, Vilhem's mouth grew into a full-toothed grin. "H-holy shit," he panted. His entire mind was exploding in a mix of panic and exhilaration that it slipped his mind for a moment where he even was.
tenor.gif

"Well damn, cadet. Should've told us you were a ballerina. Can't wait to see your tip-toeing performance when you get a full ODM rig." The instructor's sneer was still present, but a corner of his mouth had twitched into a smile. The man looked impressed.

Vilhelm lowered his legs from the split, feeling his cheeks grow a bit red but he wasn't sure if that was from breathing hard or embarrassment. He continued practicing, testing his full-range of mobility--still hurtling back and forwards every now and then, but able to balance himself upright again. Jutting back forward with his hands between his angled forward legs, Vilhelm was settled into a swingset motion before he was ultimately lowered from the training rig.

Though he had fallen numerous times, part of him worried the other cadets would think him a show off, so he forced his focus to the other towering rigs. It looked like several had figured things out on their ends. Vilhelm returned to his position in the rear of the group, faintly aware of the instructor casually insulting Vilhelm and the others before plucking another to be hoisted up. He held up his hands and found both scraped roughly, the left plastered in red but not bleeding. He grunted and tried to keep his hand straight for the remainder of the hour.

Standing again with Lillian, Vilhelm gave her a thumbs up with his un-bloodied hand and leaned towards her--close enough to imply one-on-one talk but not enough to enter her personal space. "It's all in the legs. You might instinctively want to try balancing like you do walking, holding your back up straight, but its actually more about flexin your legs. Sort of like a complex counter-"

Vilhelm's voice trailed off as his eyes went past Lillian and to the training stand to their group's left. Something wasn't right but it was when he started listening that his brow raised. Just snippets of words but enough to bother.

"Broken belt... Unfair..."

Was the girl in question using a broken harness? That was not making any sense, given how those who didn't succeed in today's training would be sent home. Since the belt wasn't being removed, then... punishment?

Vilhelm knew it would be best to ignore the situation, especially given how it was entirely possible the girl was deserving of punishment for whatever. But not like this. It was hard enough to force myself to join the military. To find myself then being forced out...? I don't think so.

Vilhelm glanced back to his instructor, currently poised before what looked like a crying Ludger. Vilhelm gave Lillian a small pat on her shoulder then jogged across the dusty way to the other training group. Ugh, this is probably going to suck... just act ignorant.

Arriving at the other training stand, Vilhelm casually saluted before their respective instructor. "Sir. I was informed the cadet currently trainin had a busted belt. Am here to exchange mine as a replacement, sir."

It was only after Vilhelm said it that he realized how obvious his lie was. If a belt exchange was really needed, then anyone in this group could have done so. Yeah. This is definitely going to suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheDevil'sGame
Aria Sylvara

"You're actually pulling and holding your weight, vomit rag! Color me impressed by you for fucking once! If I ever hear that you've taken discipline into your own hands again you will be out of this camp and back home!"

Aria nodded feeling the ringing in her ears as the commander belittled more and more but for good reason of course. She broke rules and it was her punishment. Holding herself on this ride of a balancing act, she calmed herself and balanced perfectly still looking her ODM and commander in the eye as he gave a nod to let her down holding still the entire time as Aria felt her feet touch the floor below her. She didn't let a sigh of relief yet before the commander was in her face again.

"Now. TAKE YOUR ASS OUT TO THAT TRACK AND RUN LAPS, SYLVARA!"

"Yes sir! Thankyou sir!"

She saluted again before her attention was brought to another cadet addressing the belt issue. She bit her lip seeing that the commander approached the cadet before looking at him square in the eyes obviously not happy dealing with two situations at once. From dealing with an out of line cadet to a belt 'issue'.

"Well now how thoughtful. Someone wants to help out this little vomit rag and replace her PURPOSELESSLY broken belt. This little shit has been using this broken gear under my order for what she did last night during a mess hall incident! If you ever question my motives again you little fuck you'll be doing everyone's laps combined!"

He reached back to shoo Aria away to her laps while he addressed Vilhem up front. Aria slipped by the commander and Vilhelm but not without giving a nod and a kind smile to him before she headed off to the track to catch up with the others way ahead of her. She felt a little unsteady on her feet for a few moments with being off the ground for so long but starting to run slowly brought her back to her senses and getting her balance again soon after.

"Morning yourself, sunshine"

Came the panting voice of Aria slowly moving to meet Maya at her side before giving her a thumbs up. She had obviously caught those positive gestures shot her way as it brought a very happy smile to her face during those grueling moments of being watched. She reached into Maya's pocket slipping out the notebook and into her own inner pocket.

"hopefully you got some good stories out of it though I swear I could still hear you turning pages long after I went to bed last night. I did tell you not to keep yourself up too late"

She smirked nudging her jokingly as she kept up the jog only ever moving ahead for a few moments when eyes of the commander and any other higher ups felt like they were on them. Glancing back to the ODM stations she tried to spot the much older looking cadet who tried to replace her broken belt. He meant well and she needed to thank him for that later but for now she hoped the yelling Kyle gave to him wouldn't be so bad. A sudden thought came to her mind as she spoke out loud while occasionally glancing to Maya next to her.

"I cant remember how long I should run for...I wasn't exactly told by kyle back there...Better run 30 to 40 for good measure. Last thing I want is more broken equipment training especially for field work. That belt was a nightmare to balance in but its what I get for restraining that dick last night. You had the best spot to watch of course as you specified for me as a combat partner~"

Aria couldn't help but let out a chuckle and sending a wink Maya's way as she huffed and continued to jog under the hot sun around the track panting slowly as her own uniform became an extra heat source her body tried to cope with while keeping her spirits up with her running partner.

• Love
Lillian Ward

Even Vilhelm managed to balance eventually. Lillian watched the whole thing, with some degree of envy; despite being considerably older than her, he had somehow managed to not only right himself without any external help, but then keep his balance.

As he was offering her advice, she was only half listening, but... Took note of the general gist of it. However, her attention was soon taken by what Vilhelm was doing, more or less sticking out his neck for someone else, someone who apparently was working with a faulty harness.

Part of her yearned to join him, as she shot their instructor, Kyle, a rather dirty look, but in the end... She knew she had to keep her balance first. In order to escape the confines of these walls, she had to learn how to stay upright in the air.

Eventually, she found herself being raised into the air again... And already, even faster than before, she began to waver, eventually toppling over yet again. Despite Vilhelm's advice, something just wasn't working.

Perhaps all those years with little food had finally taken a toll on her body, or maybe... There was just a piece missing. In either case, it seemed just trying to use her legs on their own didn't work.

After all, what kind of bird uses their legs to fly?

However, just before Kyle could motion for her to be let down, she suddenly grabbed the cables still holding her in the air, despite her hanging at a seemingly impossible angle, every fiber of her body stretched out awkwardly as she hung upside down.

"Leave. Me. Up...!" She hissed through gritted teeth.

Then, with all the strength she could muster, she pulled herself upright and tried once again to balance, envisioning herself as a bird once more.

For brief moments, she stayed upright, but each and every time, she kept falling... Again, and again.

What was their secret? How did birds fly?

Despite the risk of falling, despite their frail bodies... They still flew high in the sky.

And then... It hit her.

When birds would fly, they tucked their legs into their bodies. No loose ends... Only what they needed to stay in the air.

However, there was something else too, something she had overlooked; when birds fly, the feathers on their wings allowed them to keep their balance, but she was no bird. She had no wings, nor feathers.

Vilhelm was right when he said it was all in the legs.

Instead of her arms, she had to use her legs to balance herself. In a way... Her legs were her wings. They were the key to her balance.

Grabbing onto the cables holding her in the air one last time, she hauled herself upright, closing her eyes as she tensed up her legs, suddenly spreading them out, holding their position in a rigid fashion. Almost like she was bracing herself against an invisible wall.

Then, she let go of the ropes, her eyes snapping open as she wobbled in her position briefly before... To her surprise, she stayed upright.

Breathing a sigh of relief, a smile crossed her face for a few, brief moments, before she realized what she was doing and returned her expression to it's usual, neutral one as she was lowered to the ground.

"That good enough for you?" She muttered, crossing her arms.

Her hands still stung from holding onto those cables so many times. Probably some kind of rope-burn, but she'd live.

"Hah! I didn't think your scrawny ass could do it! Thought you were just some freeloader, getting her fill from the trainee's rations! But I'm not going any easier on you. You hear? And if you ever mouth off to me again... You're finished here, got that? You'll be kicked out!" Kyle shouted at her.

Lillian grimaced, behind her usual poker face, but eventually... As she didn't have anything good to say, she just huffed and nodded, turning to leave, intending to join up with Vilhelm, for the better or worse.

"Twenty laps! Don't you think for a fucking second a slacker like you will get any leniency!" Kyle shouted after her.

There was a soft grumble under Lillian's breath, but eventually she turned and managed a convincing enough salute (even if her heart wasn't fully in it).

"Yes sir!" She yelled, sounding a little weary already.

Her legs still burned from all those failed attempts to stay upright, before the one where she had succeeded, but nonetheless... She pushed herself into action, beginning to jog the 20 laps she was supposed to.

Her pace was slower than it usually was, but all the same, she didn't exactly have any other choice in the matter; as much as she wanted to avoid the top 10 ranking graduates, she also didn't want to get kicked out of the training camp either. She had to strike some kind of balance... Some way, some how...​

Three Years Later. . .
Today was initiation day. To become a full-fledged member of the Scouting Legion. Arthur couldn't believe that he had done it. Joining the Scouting Legion that is. It was always a dream and a suicidal one at that but the sense of serving mankind in the only way they knew how was what drove his decision on that fateful day last night. Three years ago he joined the Training Corp. with the expectations and orders from his Family to join the Military Police and to do his best as they would get him into the Top 10 by greasing some palms. He did just that over the three years, giving everything his all but always unsure if his results truly matched his ability or the money and influence his family had. Landing in No. 3 of the Top 10, Arthur had a lot of eyes on him and he felt guilt in his stomach that he was ranked so high.

The graduating ceremony was held at night. There were three different stand-like platforms that held an Officer from the Military Police, Garrison and lastly the Scouting Legion. The Garrison had the largest area in the ceremony, and rightly so because by the end of the night almost 80% of the cadets joined the Garrison. The ones who made it into the Top 10 joined the Military Police, or followed the path that Arthur had and joined the Scouting Legion. Everyone that had joined the Scouting Legion, many of them he knew, left that very night for an abandoned building outside of Wall Sina, east of Stohess. The building was old and abandoned but had been recently taken by the Scouting Legion for a command post, barracks and training ground. A good place to quickly depart if needed for an expedition and not be in the crowded cities.

Arthur and the rest of the group didn't have time to acquaint themselves with anyone but the few Scouting members that were transporting them.

-----------------------------
It was early morning, the sun barely peaking over the treetops in the distance that surrounded the abandoned land. Wooden outposts on the perimeter with a Survey Corp. member standing watch, wearing the green cloak with the wings of freedom embroided on the back. The fresh recruits were lined up side by side in a single line, all wearing fresh Survey Corp. uniforms. They were the same as the Training Cadet uniform, but had the wings of freedom now on the patch. The Captain that would be in charge of their miserable lives was approaching, squad following closely behind and anyone who didn't live under a rock for the past five years would recognize their new Captain either by name or looks.

Captain Lyra Einswor, considered one of the best Titan Killers that have ever lived and best Scouting Legion Captain to ever live. She approached the line of fresh recruits who all saluted in unison as she walked the line with a stone face, seemingly unimpressed. She walked the line one more time before stopping in front of Vilheim, the oldest recruit. "I didn't ask for a grandpa. Walls save us you might just have a damn heart attack trying to leave the walls!" She shook her head in disappointment and moved to the next one that she had already picked out. There were more recruits that were not part of the main cast that won't be really mentioned, but she had said something to them before moving on.

"I'm surprised you haven't burnt up in the sun just yet." Lyra had stepped in front of Emil, and while her words aren't as harsh or crude as the Training Cadets had been, they had a different kind of sting to them since so many civilians and aspiring Survey Members looked up to her.

"And you! I can barely tell that you are a girl!" She pointed at Maya next. It seemed as if the Captain was going to go down the line and say something about everyone. Lyra moved past Maya after her offhanded comment and stepped in front of Viktor next. "Do you have a stick up your ass or something? What is with that face?"

"Oh and they also gave me a pompous rich girl who probably thinks she is better than everyone else." Lyra eyed Kaira for a moment as she spoke before moving again.

"Nothing really stands out about you huh?" She approached Blake and scratched underneath her chin but didn't stay for long.

"Would you quit side glancing he-girl over there? Your Captain is speaking to you." Aria was next and she had seen the small glances that Aria had passed...and was given all the rumors and information she needed from the Training Corp about her new cadets.

"Are you a fucking turtle?" She really didn't know what to say about Lillian because the girl was just standing there quietly and didn't have anything to really pick at besides being slow and lazy, like a turtle is commonly considered.

Last was Arthur, who was the largest of the cadets in size and muscle and she grabbed the collar of his jacket and yanked him down until he was eye level with her. "Why the fuck did you join the Survey Corps? You aren't tough and just a teddy bear." She released his collar and pushed him back slightly.

Captain Lyra walked towards the center of the field to stand in front of the line and stared coldly at them before saying something rather unexpected. "I can't work with any of this shit. Send a message to Commander Ekler to put in a transfer request to move them all to the Garrison." Lyra had folded her arms as she spoke, eyes never leaving the recruits.

"C-Captain..." One of the squad members that had arrived with her said before being interrupted by a sudden outburst of laughter from the Captain. She found the whole thing she was doing funny but no one else was laughing. Her squad knew that they would be hazed a little bit but the talk of transfer wasn't discussed and they even thought she was being serious.

"You should have all seen the look on your faces when I said to transfer you. Ah." She wiped a tear from the corner of her eye as she calmed down from her own hysteria. "Why do you all seem so serious?! We are just having some fun at your expense." She waited to see the life return back into the faces of a few of the cadets who truly believed her. "I should introduce myself. My name is Lyra Einswor, and you are all new recruits of my section. For now anyways until a new Section Commander arrives. The previous one is no longer with us sadly." Lyra had cleared her throat and stopped her laughter to become serious once more, or try to at least.

"I know this is short but there is a lot to go over and your first scouting mission will be in three months time. I'm sure many of you are excited to get out in the field immediately but scouting missions aren't so simple as just leaving the wall and hopefully today you will understand why. So take a few minutes to talk and get acquainted with your future brothers and sisters. Sergeant Taylor will guide you to the stables where I will be waiting." Captain Lyra gave a small wave to the cadets before walking off in the direction of the stables and a few squad members followed after while the remaining three stayed behind.

Reactions: TheDevil'sGame
'Captain Lyra Eiswar...' She had heard of this woman within the confines of the wealthy as well as the ones whom trained the cadets. She was one that was often requested by the most powerful to come and protect them as well as given praise by the drill sergeants. She was someone who had certainly deserved the praise from the effort as well as the time she had taken outside of the walls. Kaira had taken as much effort to learn what she could about those that were the . To give her life purpose would require work and she made sure to constantly focus on that aspect to assure she would at least be valuable in some sense.

More than her family ever gave her and more than she ever wanted from that life. Being an object was not something worth protecting or living for. Being something meant more and as the years went by and she continued her focus, she spoke to her family less and focused on this mission of hers more. Years of hard work and focus would be what she finally had, and as she stood and had given her salute to her new leader. She would at least try to learn and at most be ready to do what she needed if she were to handle things alone.

As she looked across the faces of the others, she noticed how little she had gotten to know them. She was always removed and she was unsure if it was out of fear of getting close and losing someone or if she was simply someone that couldn't befriend others so easily.

She noticed the captain walking along them as she had a stoic, empty expression. As she returned, Kaira watched as she spoke to Vilhelm and began to grind him with her words.

"I didn't ask for a grandpa. Walls save us you might just have a damn heart attack trying to leave the walls!"

"I'm surprised you haven't burnt up in the sun just yet."

"Do you have a stick up your ass or something? What is with that face?"

"Oh and they also gave me a pompous rich girl who probably thinks she is better than everyone else."

Kaira hardly cared for what this woman said. It was something similar that she had experienced during her first days as a recruit. They spoke to her often in this way and it was something she never could comprehend or understand. She didn't care what some random people would say to her. They meant absolutely nothing to her. The opinions of strangers were just that, nothing. Words only had any value if you personally gave that to them. If the world was ending it would mean absolutely nothing if it came from a crazed man but if it came seriously from a lover, than that would mean a very different thing.

Maybe, that was it. She thought of her sister back in that place as her mind wandered a bit as she continued to listen to the words coming from their new captain.

'Maybe... I can't love... Maybe... I can't get close... Maybe... That's good...'

"Maybe." She whispered as she suddenly realized what she said. She didn't know if the captain heard but she kept her face focused as her body remained still. Her breathing was slight, and her eyes seemed locked ahead of her. She did as she had done during her training and as she stood there among them, she seemed to be building a wall to keep herself away.

She didn't care any less for them, she didn't expect them to like her. They had gone through the same challenges and problems she had suffered. She had remained largely by herself learning of things like gunpowder and weaponry that the survey corps possessed. As well as strategies and tactics that were considered effective or especially useful in certain situations. Her mind seemed to be racing on numerous thoughts as she stood there, almost as if she was wasting time standing there and still trying to learn whatever she could even if it would only be within the confines of her own mind. It was the only thing they hadn't taken away and the recruit training hadn't taken it from her, and she didn't expect this either to do the same.

"I can't work with any of this shit. Send a message to Commander Ekler to put in a transfer request to move them all to the Garrison."

She hardly believed there were any others more qualified than the people here though. This particularly bothered her as she remembered all those that had left the camp. She had tried to encourage many to continue their work on it. Even as she struggled with people, and even as she couldn't promise anything. She at least tried to offer what she could in the form of bread and what little comfort she could give to allow them to stay.

She didn't know if any of it helped, she didn't know if she even helped. She didn't remember faces, she didn't try to remember the scenarios. She only remembered some crying, some people remaining alone, and some, who didn't seem to have allies as she did. She talked to some of those people and she didn't know who among them stayed. She remembered the words she gave them.

'Prove your worth, by your actions. That will decide how you truly view yourself.'

She would do just that. Her actions would be her worth.

She was going to continue to do what she was already doing. She didn't care of the top ten, this was the place that mattered and the time to see what knowledge and skill was actually developed and if she was shoved within the garrisons she would take it without complaint. She would do what she needed. She would do as she could.

Humans were terrifying and they had created their place within this world. She wasn't going to allow for some mindless beasts to slaughter them.

Aria Sylvara

Three years..the time passed quicker than she thought. Yesterday it felt like she had just joined the cadets that one sunny morning, gotten almost vomited on in the line up and treated like dirt by her superiors. It was all for a good cause though as it built her to serve humanity and take her place in the survey corps. There were some times during the years she pushed herself too much despite the warnings of those around her especially to the dismay of one certain individual Aria had grown close with though had to be kept out of sight for a majority of their time together. Seeing her progress though was certainly enough to put a smile on her face even if it wasn't the exact number she wished for in the top 10 graduates of the cadet years. Nevertheless she was still happy to be pursuing her family's legacy now that she was the only one left in her bloodline that survived in the walls away from the horrors of the outside world.

The night before was almost a sleepless one. Aria twisting and turning in her bed wondering what the new day would bring along with those who were joining the survey corps. Thinking back she remembered to the various faces that caught her eye but hadn't had the chance to meet, thank and talk with. She sighed looking around the almost empty cabin seeing most beds empty from those who were taken for the other offers given at graduation. The Military Police left a sour taste in her mouth, even with the bribes of all the food, money and power she could have, she'd decline the offer in a heartbeat. The Garrison was everyone's go two choice when both the scouting role or the Military police options were off the table for the cadets. The few that remained in their bunks she had seen and stood with during the ceremony to join the Survey Corps. Resting her head back down on her pillow she closed her eyes managing to get some sleep as she anticipated their first day of their new roles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just like the first line up..."

The first thought to grace Aria's mind as she was called to attention by her superior, Captain Lyra. She held her saluting position as she settled into her new uniform as well. A perfect fit. As everyone took their extra dose of verbal mocking, Aria looked around her new environment. It was nice to see actual grass and larger structures for a change compared to sand, dirt and more dirt she could only look at during her cadet years. The words of them being sent back made her ears perk up however as she had worked too hard to be dismissed permanently now. Aria was about to step forward when she heard the laughing coming from Lyra as she gave a soft sigh of relief before settling back into the line.

Aria had seen mentions of Lyra from her mothers book, possibly during the time when Lyra herself chose to join the corps before reaching her current position now. Needless to say it was a new experience especially meeting someone your mother may have written about especially when those notes were positive. Good attitude, knowing when to be serious and when to tone things down. Lyra looked to be the caring type and so she should be. After-all she was helping the line of others and Aria settle in to their new 'family' so to speak. As Lyra took her leave she proposed the opportunity to talk to those around them and Aria decided to act on this even to those who look like they'd rather stay silent maybe.

" 'Suppose I'll take this chance for now!"

Aria smiles stepping forward and turning around to face the line she was just part of. Giving a quick salute and nod to those she saw, she spoke up as she relaxed her pose.

"My name is Aria Slyvara. I've been wanting to join the survey corps for many years now and here I am! Hopefully I can be of assistance to you all just as you'll hopefully look out for me as well during our time here. I'm always here to listen, talk, and help however possible so don't be afraid to approach! Like Lyra said you're all family now one way or another so I'll do my best to ensure none of you winding up losing something."

Aria nods again before staying out of the line showing she was willing to talk with anyone interested. The next however many years would be long and full of turmoil and emotional moments, However Aria felt if she could help at in some way or another, she could try and keep spirits up even in the darkest or bleakest of moments during their time with the survey corps.​

• Love
The wood door is eased shut with hardly a creak. Pulling my hand from the doorknob, I'm able to steady the package once again. It had taken several upon several layers of wrapping and cord to silence the tick-tock within. I would have turned it off but, clocks weren't my domain. Not to mention I wasn't going to risk breaking his present.

Several weeks of scouting and finally, all that work had payed off. I couldn't help grinning like an idiot. It is too adorable to have an obsession with clocks. I just hope this one fits the bill.

Creeping toe to heel across the plank floorboards, I'm stopped by a letter on our table. Had mail been brought in while I was out? There didn't seem to be any form of address. I should've ignored it but the letter might be more bills or medicinal recommendations from the doctor.

Setting his present on the table, my fingers push back the unwaxed seal and pull out the freshly inked parchment.
Dear Vilhelm,

I am not exactly sure how to start this. I suppose I have never been very good at communication, huh? Verbal that is. Perhaps though my attempts to speak through actions were louder, hopefully. But then maybe not. I'll try my best to say it here.

Even as a child, I had always thought I was not long for this world. Looking back on it all, I could not even guess how it originated. I suspect it is a health condition, similar to my ailing body. So many circular thoughts leading back to one idea, it was what led us together that night at the bridge. To be honest, part of me could not be happier to have this torment inside me. It gave me you.

Every day since has been a treasure, always greater than the last. Feeling you next to me, hearing your voice, merely thinking of your face. It is the only warmth I have had in a cold world. And more than that, to know that you meant it... even had we been far apart, I would have felt your warmth.

You are a beautiful person, Vee. You are kind, passionate, observant, and hard-working. Funny, as well, though I apologize that my understanding of humour is not the best. Everything about you is perfect. And so, I pray you will stay perfect after this.

I know you will want an explanation, but. I believe you already understand the something I had ignored all this time. My heart has always been on a time limit. Inside, I can feel that clock running out. Even now, my health is causing you strife. That is the last thing I wish to be, especially for you.

Every thought and desire of my being is willing my soul to find a new vessel in a new life, and that we can find each other once more. Like before, I will wait at that bridge, for as long as it takes. I love you, Vilhelm.

Forgive me,

Valentine "Val" Albrecht

Vilhelm yawned, his breath whisping in the chill morning air, as he and the other newly graduated scouts stood in salute to their new commander. It wasn't so much due to the early hour rather than the new uniforms. His was rather warm for some reason and Vilhelm saw no reason to question it. He did, however, question his new superior.

Captain Lyra Einswor had a pinched, apathetic expression similar to old Commander Kyle, if the bitter man had exchanged his glares for icy derision. The name might have been familiar once upon a time, but Vilhelm couldn't quite say.

She stopped in front of him, looked down her noise. "I didn't ask for a grandpa. Walls save us, you might just have a damn heart attack trying to leave the walls!"

Something about that line was familiar to Vilhelm, but his tongue seemed to be moving faster than his brain today. "That's the idea, ma'am."

To be honest, Captain Lyra and Vilhelm looked to be the same age. In a line up of teenagers, sure, the man would look old. But thirty wasn't that bad, was it? Or was it thirty-one... did I forget when my birthday was...

Evident by the disappointed shake of her head, the captain was not amused by Vilhelm's joke. She continued down the line insulting everyone, once again reminding the older cadet of their old commander. That was when the insults stopped and something worse took their place. "I can't work with any of this shit. Send a message to Commander Ekler to put in a transfer request to move them all to the Garrison."

No.

No.

No. No. No. No, no, no!

The entire past three years flashed before his eyes in an instant. Three years of playing nice. Three years of forcing himself up. Three years breathing, and this woman was going to steal his chance at... at freedom?

Vilhelm's salute faltered as he took a step forward. If that's how the captain wanted to play things, that was perfectly fine. He would just kill her. Or, more likely, be killed. Either or.

That's when the laughing began. Captain Lyra was doubled over, cackling and crying in the dead silent courtyard. That burst of insanity from their new commander shook Vilhelm of his own, and he blinked away the venom from his eyes and resumed his salute. Apparently Captain Lyra had a sense of humour and that had just been a joke.

Holy shit... was I actually going to- no. Shut up, Vilhelm thought. Stop thinking, be quiet.

Once the proper introduction had concluded, the captain left to await them in the stables and give the new scouts time to meet and greet. Even so, it took someone getting half way through their own hello for Vilhelm to get a grip on reality again.

Most of the recruits he actually recognized from training: Lillian, Maya, Victor, Aria. The others were familiar but he was struggling to remember names at the moment.

In an attempt to lighten the mood and his own, Vilhelm shrugged his way out of formation, thumbs hooked in his belt, and cocked his head at the others. "Hey, all. Vilhelm here and I'm thirty days sober." It might've been a nonsensical joke to them, but it made Vilhelm grin wide. "Getting real for a moment, don't suppose anyone else was thinking of throwin' down with the captain? Not sure about you guys, but I'm pretty confident I look like I'm mid-twenties, at most."

Two truths and a lie. He couldn't care less how he was physically perceived--that said, he did look to be mid-twenties, right?--but he had certainly wanted to get into a lethal spat for a moment. It was best to move past it and joking was the best way he knew how.

Emil Burton

Three years. Three long years of training, yelling, and expectations. He'd been expected to fail out by those who'd put him there in the first place, he'd been expected to die once the training picked up by some who thought he was worth little, he'd been expected to duck and run when the chance arose to free himself from his punishment, he'd been expected to be among the bottom of the class, but that's all they were, expectations. He'd taken the expectations of him and rubbed them back in the faces of those who wished to see him fail, had even managed to graduate among the top ten much to what he could only imagine was a contained fury of Commander Kyle. He'd even been expected by most of his fellow cadets to take his golden ticket and join the Military Police, but he'd decided they could take that expectation and eat it for all he cared and did the one thing he still wasn't sure if he had had quite enough time to begin regretting yet.

He brought up his arms in perfect salute with the rest of his fellow cadets as the obvious Scout that was to be greeting them approached with her squad in tow. He kept his gaze forward as the woman moved down the line, not daring to move his eyes to study her in anyway as she did. When she passed him for a second time he snuck a glance at her as she went. A rather lithe frame and a height that was probably rather close to his own and a rather peculiar shade of light brown hair to top her all off didn't seem necessarily imposing or even ring any bells for Emil who quickly turned his eyes forward to bore a hole into the wall on the far side of the courtyard as the Scout got to grilling the entire group, a song and dance that Emil knew the tune to very well after the last three years.

As she moved down the line and got ever closer to him Emil tensed his fingers for a moment before standing up as straight as he could manage. When the face of the Scout blurred into view as she side stepped to stand in front of him he tried to take in her appearance as she yelled at him, he couldn't say that she was insignificant from what he was looking at, sure her expression was one of discontent and perhaps a bit of malice as she yelled but he could see the softer lines of her face through the mask, and on top of it all she'd been entrusted with greeting them all, so she had to be significant.

Once she passed him on by and made her way down the rest of the recruits he continued his stare forward, flexing and relaxing his legs every so often to ease the tired feeling that was slowly growing and even managing to roll his neck when none of the Scouts were looking. When the whole thing came up as a farce he relaxed a bit more, no longer afraid that any small movement that got seen would get him another ass chewing. He listened to the Scout as she introduced herself as a Captain Lyra Einswor and remembered the name instantly. A Scout of practically mythical status, one that had been claimed to have dozens or even hundreds of titan kills credited to her. 'Significant she is.' he affirmed to himself as the woman quickly seemed to state that she had other business and they'd be left in the care of a Sergeant of hers.

Emil waited and listened as the first two cadets, Aria and Vilhelm left the formation and introduced themselves, even letting out a small laugh at the cynical joke of the older man. When he finished Emil wrestled with his conscious on whether or not he should wait until the very end to get his introduction done or simply get it out of the way now before he took a few steps forward and turned to face the group of new Scouts, "Name's Emil, ended up here in order for some MPs to cover their asses and a skewed sense of duty or something like duty." he searched a moment for something more to say before offering a weak smile, "I look forward to working with you all..." he said unenthusiatically before stepping a bit away from the front of the group to no longer be in the spot light.

Arthur Sutherland
Arthur had lined up with those that came with him from the 98th Training Camp, and noticed new cadets also lining up. They must be from the other camps that had been held at the same time. He was feeling rather nervous standing in this spot, being judged silently by the Scouting Legion and by his fellow comrades. Those that came with him from the 98th knew the truth about his family, and that there was a bribery involved. Arthur assumed that Commander Kyle had accepted the bribe and that is why he got the 3rd rank in the Top 10 and it made him question himself even more and if he should even be here. Maybe he should have joined the Military Police and accepted what his family wanted for him.

He was lost in his own thoughts as the grilling began until he felt small hands grab his collar, eyes refocusing on the Captain before him who suddenly yanked down on the collar and brought him eye level with her. She called him soft and a teddy bear which caused a flustered look from the larger soldier. "I-" He didn't know how to respond before being let go and able to stand back up. He shouldn't think too much about being 'soft' as long as he did his job and killed Titans.

[FONT=Josefin Sans, sans-serif]Snapping out of his own self-esteem issues he paid attention to the Captain once more as she spoke about transferring them to the Garrison. She couldn't do that could she? He stood silently, salute almost wavering before she burst out laughing and then introduced herself. Captain Lyra. He had heard several stories about her legendary titan killing ability during Training Camp from others who were obsessed with the Scouting Legion. She gave everyone a moment to gather themselves after that scare and introduce themselves around to the other cadets since they would grow close in the years to come. . . if everyone lived that long.[/FONT]

[FONT=Josefin Sans, sans-serif]"Hello my name is Arthur." He turned to a few unfamiliar faces and introduced himself to them. "Our Captain has a real sense of humor huh?" Arthur felt nervous talking to these people for some reason, as if he was lying to them and trying to keep it all a secret. Rolling his eyes to himself about how he was so involved in his own damn head it would end up getting him killed if he didn't knock it off. Take it a day at a time. Stop thinking about what everyone else thinks. I need to live with my choices.[/FONT]

[FONT=Josefin Sans, sans-serif]"So. Three months before our first mission huh? Three years of training and now even more waiting before we can do something." Arthur tried to say what was on peoples minds. All this preparation and training, and there was still a high turnover rate. It made him worry when thinking about it but he was certain that very few people that joined up were thinking about the turnover rate even though they had been preparing for over three years for this. [/FONT]

Reactions: FrostedCaramel