BACKLASH

Delilah Buress

He was quiet, and she couldn't blame him. It had to be difficult, knowing that the life she had lived before he'd found her again hadn't exactly been ideal. She knew he wouldn't say it, but she was sure a part of him was at least slightly disappointed with her... Maybe not her, but her decisions, and it was hard to reconcile that with their relationship changing so much, so quickly.

Sitting back, she looked down at her phone, as his question revolved in her mind. There was nothing judgmental about it, but there was still a sense of anxiety in answering him. The last thing she wanted was to go back there... to revisit it. Not because she was ashamed of who she was, because in truth, she wouldn't have been half as strong without enduring what she did. But because the last thing she wanted to do was break his heart more...

But if he was going to be a part of her life, the most important part of her life, she needed to be open to inviting him in... to everything... every aspect of who she was, "...What do you wanna know?" She asked, a brow lifting, "I'm an open book, Fish... as long as you're okay with knowing it won't all be pretty?"

Fisher Hawkins

It was hard to admit… that he had always seen Lilah as perfect. A perfect, strong, brave person, who would never make a mistake big enough to make him question her. But she had, and so had he.. And it wasn’t his right to judge her for what she had done in the past, when now she was standing before him, braver than ever.

“Yeah.” He said, trying to push some confidence into his voice. “I’m okay.” He looked up at her, trying to put on a smile. “So uh.. Who’s.. Leon? Or Murphy? And what - or who? Is Lucky J? I was very confused by that.”

Chuckling softly, dryly, Delilah shook her head, “Well, to start, they’re all different people. Murph, I worked for. He… he helped me out when I left the home. Gave me a place to stay, and I just… well, I owed him, you know? So I did some work for him. I was a runner… and that’s where Leon comes in. He was the dealer. Our go between… And Lucky J, well… he was another dealer Murphy used sometimes, just to kind of piss Leon off, when he was being a smartass about prices.”

“Oh.” Came Fisher’s uncertain response. “So.. this.. Murphy.” He said quietly, trying to remove any sort of disdain from his voice. “He just.. How did he.. How did you find him? Did you know him from any of the homes?”

Her eyes canting over to him, Delilah smiled, shaking her head, “He found me. When… when I got out, I had nowhere to go. I ended up…” The smile faded as she looked away, biting the tip of her tongue to consider how best to put it. It was hard to put it out there, knowing how prone Fisher was to blame himself, “...I ended up on the street. There were shelters, but I guess after everything that happened, I just… I was too scared to wind up in more crap, you know? I think I just thought I was better on my own.”

With a sigh, she shifted, staring at her hands, “I got sick.. Early in the winter, and ended up in pretty bad shape. Murphy’s gang, they ran the area where I was living, and one of his boys found me passed out in the back of an alley. I guess Murphy… he took pity. Brought me in. I mean, it wasn’t entirely a selfless move. He liked girls… for running. I guess cause it’s not what the police typically look for. Took me a few weeks to recover, but after that, he told me I could stay, if I worked for him. And I didn’t really have a reason to say no, you know?”

As she spoke he lost the strength to look her in the eye. He never imagined… that she had suffered so much. And he couldn’t help it when his eyes began to water, and he began to get sniffly. She had nearly died. She had nearly died and he was off running around in tights and fixing cars. And before she nearly died she was on the streets, and after she’d nearly died she was peddling drugs.. And he’d left her for it all.

“I’m so sorry,” He rasped. “I left you and all that happened and I could’ve.. I could’ve been there for you. We were supposed to age out together. I ruined it. We could’ve stayed together.” He buried his face in his hands. “I never imagined.. I started working the moment I got transfered, I never thought you would… I’m.. I’m so sorry.”

“Hey…” Blinking, Delilah shifted, turning to him. She reached out and wrapped her hands around his, shaking her head, “Fish, no… Listen. I… Trust me, if I could change it, I would. But I’m not sorry I went through it. And it’s not your fault. You hear me? I could’ve done things differently… but I made those choices. Not you. Please, don’t blame yourself… I never did. I was mad at you… for leaving, but I never blamed you for the life I had, Fish. Not ever.”

“But you didn’t have a choice!” He insisted, voice cracking. “If I had just.. If I had looked for you after I got out.. I could have supported both of us. Somehow. I could’ve done it.” He desperately shook his head. “I know.. I know that you’re.. Okay with it. But I’m not. I should’ve done something and I never did. I left you in the dust.”

“Fisher… Don’t do this to yourself.” Squeezing his hands, she tipped her head down, to meet his eyes, “You did what you needed, to survive. And so did I. We were lost… and scared. We were kids, and we got shoved into a situation no kid ever should. And maybe it wasn’t perfect, and maybe it could’ve been different, but who knows what might’ve happened if it had been? What we have here, right now… I wouldn’t change that. Not for anything.”

Taking a deep sigh, Fisher relinquished the battle. He knew Delilah wouldn’t let him go until he admitted defeat.. But she would never spare him the guilt that weighed on his chest, the guilt of the times that he could have lessened her suffering.

“You’re even more perfect than I ever imagined you to be.” He mumbled, pulling her into a hug.

As he pulled her in, she laughed softly, wrapping her arms around his waist to lay her head against his chest, “Sweetie, if you think I’m perfect, you and I have a very different definition of that word.” With a soft sigh, she turned herself until she could lay her head back on his lap, her legs hanging over the arm of the couch, and looking up at him, she brushed back the hair from his forehead, “Someday, Fish… we’re gonna get the life we should’ve had back then. We’re gonna figure all of this out, and we’re gonna have it.”

Fish felt his heart swell a little at the new nickname. He loved the way it rolled off herr tongue and couldn’t help but wait to hear it again. He chuckled almost sadly, stroking locks of her hair away from her face. “Maybe someday.” He sighed. “Right after we pick up some anaesthetic from your old drug dealer and kidnap our old foster parents to save them from our psycho foster brother.” He teased. “Am I supposed to wait around the bend in my truck for you or something?”

Chuckling, she nodded, “Sounds good to me. I mean… what better time to retire from a life of crap, then after we stop Sol and sort everything else out?” As he continued, she shook her head, “You can come with me. Not like I’m hiding you, and besides… if Leon tries to get fancy… overcharge us, you can flex and freak him out.” With a smirk, she poked his chest, a brow quirked, “Didn’t have those when we were kids.”

As Lilah only continued to stroke his ego, a grin fell upon his face. “Well thanks for finally noticing!” He announced, laughing a little. “Aren’t you glad I didn’t stay scrawny forever?”

The smirk remained, and she shrugged, eyes holding a teasing glint, “I mean, I noticed, but I wasn’t exactly in a position to say anything, before. Definitely not complaining, though. Not at all.”

Fisher’s eyes glimmered, and the softest of smiles stayed on his lips. “I’d hope not..” He beamed. “And I guess I wouldn’t mind scaring off your past with my future.”

Her expression softened at his words, a brow lifting. She knew what he meant… knew he was talking about the situation with Leon, but there was something so beautiful about the way he said it. Something he couldn’t have known meant everything to her. She had meant what she said… she didn’t hate the person her past had made her into, but the idea of a better future…

Especially a future with Fisher.

Pressing up on her elbows, then onto the palms of her hands, she straightened just enough to press a delicate kiss to the corner of his mouth, “...I like the sound of that..”

Redness fell to his cheeks as she planted a kiss on the edge of his lips, and he turned his head to meet her again, kiss her deeper this time. “Glad you think so, sweetie.” Fisher hummed, twirling a lock of her hair around his finger.

Maintaining her proximity, she shook her head with a small grin, “Hm. You’re absolutely sure we don’t have a way to contact Solomon? Ask him to hold off maybe just a few hours?”

Rolling his eyes, Fisher groaned. “Well, you could try 666 again, but I’m inclined to believe you might want to try Purgatory instead.” He nestled himself into the couch, staring up at the ceiling. “I don’t have Purgatory’s number.” He said defeatedly.

Shifting, so she could rest her head against his chest, she sighed, “Guess we’ll just have to take him down fast. Because I like this, Fish. I like this probably more than I should. I know I shouldn’t… because I keep telling myself it’s not right to be… to be this happy. But I am. Or at least, I know I will be. And I want that, so much…”

He understood what she meant. With all that was surrounding them.. It felt to wrong to feel right. “I want it too.” He sighed. “I want to lay with you forever.. And not worry about who’s coming to kill us next. But we’ll finish this, Lil.” He said firmly. “We’ll finish this and we’ll be free. We could lay like this forever. It’s going to be over soon.”

Sitting up, almost too quickly, Delilah rose and holding out her hands, she nodded, “Then let's go. Let's finish this. Cause I'm ready for some good, Fish. For both of us.”

He smiled and took her hands pulling himself upwards to stand with her. “For both us.”He echoed, cupping her chin in the palm of his hand, brushing his thumb against her cheek as he leaned in to kiss her forehead. “We’ll do it together.”

Delilah Buress

They were early, but Delilah knew in the stream of things, it wouldn't really matter. She'd heard it in his voice on the phone that Leon was going to cause trouble, whatever way they decided to do things, so a little early reconnaissance hardly seemed like a bad idea. It was fifteen minutes after they left Fisher's truck to scan the area that the man arrived. He was on the short side, but carried himself with all the cocky swagger of Napoleon. Black hair was cut short, pressed towards the middle, a pair of watery blue eyes expressive and sharp, like a pitbull. Unfortunately, he was not an attractive man, but if he knew it all and cared, it hardly showed.

As Delilah nodded to Fisher, she approached him, and with a whistle through his teeth, he looked her up again down, shaking his head, "Damn, girl. You lookin' fine... Where you been, anyway? I missed you, you know."

Shaking her head, Delilah's expression remained guarded, "You miss the money you made off me, Leon. You have what we need?"

"Who's this?" He asked, ignoring the question, as he gestured behind her to Fisher.

"My bodyguard." She answered, without an ounce of irony.

Leon laughed, nodded, but there was an air of disbelief in his face and stepped back a little, towards Fisher, Delilah shrugged, "Also, sort of my boyfriend."

His face fell a little, and he snorted, pinching the end of his nose between his fingers with a shrug, "A'ight, a'ight. I gotcha. Merch is in the back of the van. Not exactly gonna fit in a plastic bag, you know? You got the money?"

Delilah nodded, and pulled the envelop from her back pocket. It had come from a savings account she hadn't touched since leaving her life on the streets behind, and in a way it was difficult to part with, but if it meant buying a new life? A better life? Holding it out, the looked to Leon, "Bring it out and we'll put it in the truck. And Leon?" She continued, because there at the corner of his mouth she could detect the barest hint of a smirk, "You play games with me, you know what I can do. Yeah?"

Paling a little, he swallowed, "...I feel ya. Two minutes."

As he disappeared to round the corner, Delilah looked back at Fisher with a small smile, "So... that's Leon."

Fisher Hawkins

Lilah’s conversation with Leon was a rollercoaster of pride, anger, and jealousy. He was intent on keeping the most bleak expression possible, though his lips turned upwards as she called him her bodyguard, and then her boyfriend.

Everything about Leon’s demeanor gave him an uncomfortable feeling. He shifted his stance with a glare at Leon as Delilah subtly threatened him. So he knew about her powers.

With a gentle exhale Fish offered Lilah a reassuring smile. “What a fantastic guy.” He deadpanned, putting a hand on her shoulder. The thought that Lilah had spent so much time with him made Fisher shudder. “You’re doing good.” Braver than he would’ve been.

He wasn’t happy about Lilah using her savings.. but if she was so sure that this was the first step in putting Solomon away, he couldn’t stop her.

“After this.. straight to the Bridges?”

Delilah Buress

Chuckling softly at his remarks, Delilah nodded, "You think he's charming? You should meet his sister. Twice as ugly and half as smart." Rolling her eyes, Delilah watched the direction Leon had disappeared to, still half expected the man would return with an uzi... or a tank... He wasn't a paragon of honesty and integrity, and with how things had gone, so far, "Straight to the Bridges."

For her paranoia, however, Leon seemed more frightened of Delilah than she was of him. He returned several minutes later with a canister attached to a rolling cart, "Wasn't sure how much you'd need, but I figured this would do. It's enough to knock out a pretty significant crowd, so don't use it all in one place."

Delilah nodded, and took the handle of the cart, rolling it behind her, "Thanks Leon..."

"The hell you into these days, Wisp?" He asked, a brow quirked as his face fell in a frown.

"Don't you worry about it. See ya, Leon." And with a nod, she turned to Fisher, rolling the cart over to him, "All set. Time to stroll down memory lane..."

Fisher Hawkins

A small laugh bubbling up, Fisher took the cart from Lilah and hauled it into the bed of his truck. “So when will we be seeing his beautiful mug again?” He teased, pulling the cover of the bed forward, covering the canister of anaesthetic. He wasn’t proud of what they were doing.. But he knew there was no other choice.

“I’ve been strolling it pretty often now.” He murmured. It wasn’t a very sad, or unhappy statement. It was one of introspection.. An observation. This past for weeks had most certainly been a blast from the past.. But strangely new, as well. Solomon, Lilah, John.. the office and the Bridges and the Havershimes.. It all hurt. But he gazed upon it with new eyes.

Pulling himself into the driver seat, he shut the door with a deep sigh. To be honest, he didn’t want to go back there. He didn’t want to kidnap, or rescue, or whatever they were doing, those people who had left him to rot. But there would be no peace if they couldn’t silence Solomon.

“No need to tell me the address.” He grumbled. “I’ve, unfortunately, got it memorized.” He pulled out of the alleyway and headed onto the street. “Maybe we could take some time on the swing set beforehand?”

Delilah Buress

"Ha... If we're lucky, Fish? Never." Leon wasn't as bad as some of the people she left behind in her past, but he wasn't a charmer, either. She had no intention of returned to see him, and certainly not casually. Some things, decidedly, were better left in the dust...

In the truck, she sank into the passenger seat with a small sigh, as Fisher mentioned being comfortable with the directions. It stung a little, to hear it, because she remembered it, too... She remember all the addresses, every detail about each and every house. The Bridges had been the least of their struggles, but that didn't make it a charming location, full of fond memories and bonding experiences. She knew neither of them would ever really forget, and that wasn't a cozy feeling.

But as he mentioned the swing set, she laughed and shaking her, pushed her way across the truck bench to lean her head on his shoulder. It was probably not the safest way to drive, and in some other universe, she might have cared, but they were racing against the clock to basically kidnap their former foster parents, to save their lives from their crazy best friend, with a truck bed full of sleeping gas. Seatbelts, decidedly were the least of her concerns.

"No way. You always take the better swing, and I always end up getting pinched in the hips by the busted one."

Fisher Hawkins

He chuckled uncertainly as she rested her head on his shoulder. "A little bit dangerous, no?" He said gently. "Living on the wild side, I see." As they drove closer and closer, he could feel his grip tightening on the wheel. His gut clenching. Their time at the Bridges.. it was devastatingly lonely. Quiet. Even with Lilah and Solomon, they weren't as close just yet. Plus, the Bridges didn't like any noise.. any whispering. Couldn't stand to hear the sound of children. So no one spoke.

As a child, he never enjoyed the quiet. Never enjoyed being left alone with his thoughts, his unanswered questions, his unhappiness. It made him anxious. Just that house made him nervous, but the Bridges alone.. to see their faces again.. their dead, grey eyes. And he was clearly getting tense, knuckles whitening as he began to gnaw on his lip.

Finally he fell upon Langdon avenue, travelling down the edge of the street. "Here we go. End of the road." He said, voice strangled. "How are you.. uh.. how are you planning to go about it?" He swallowed, tapping the steering wheel. "I haven't seen you in action in a while," He turned to her and a smile flickered upon his face. He struggled to hold it.

Delilah Buress

She could see it in his eyes, see it in the whitened knuckles, gripping the wheel like a lifeline. And she felt it, herself, the tension, roiling within her, threatening to devastate her calm, to utterly destroy it. She wanted to turn back... to tell Fisher to forget it. They weren't worth saving, the Bridges. They weren't violent or abusive, but they had been monsters all in their own right, and they weren't worth risking everything... including their lives.

But she knew in her heart it didn't matter what she thought. Even if they could ignore the weight on their conscience, Solomon wouldn't stop there. He was a man with a mission... a purpose. He'd told them as much and she could still hear it in her head, resounding and clear. She was the endgame, and Fisher along with her, and no matter what they did or didn't do with the Bridges, he would still come for them. This was the only chance they had to put things in their court. To take charge of the situation.

They arrived, however, and she would've been lying if she said she wasn't anxious as she looked out at the house, her breath catching at the sight of it... unchanging... so familiar. Fisher spoke and she swallowed, looking over at him, "Ducts..." She finally said, "Air conditioning ducts. I can send the fog through... It'll fill the house pretty quick. We'll need to give it five, maybe ten minutes to dissipate, and then we can go in and collect them. Wait in the car, though... in case there's any run off."

Slipping out of the passenger door, she looked around the quiet neighborhood, only too glad it seemed most everyone was already asleep. She could still remember the layout... each bedroom. Silently, she hoped that they had given up on fostering, but she even knew where the orphans would sleep if they hadn't - clumped together in the basement on cots build for Gulags. It burned within her, the anger at the memories... fueled the abilities within her, and as she turned the tank on, her eyes flared very briefly a deep purple, before the smoke in tendril wisps began to creep its way towards the house, towards the ducts, and worked its way inside.

Fisher Hawkins

As she explained her plan, pushing the gas through the vents, Fisher sucked in a shaky breath. He hated to watch her go… to head even close to that house gave him shivers, and watching Delilah do it alone killed him. But he couldn’t argue the consequences, and getting knocked out along with the Bridges wouldn’t exactly help them.

“Be safe.” He said simply, looking at her with fearful eyes. He couldn’t lose her.. not after finding her all over again. This time he couldn’t force a smile. He hated this place. He hated the fact they had to come back.. he hated the fact that she was walking away from him as he sunk into the driver's seat of his truck.

He watched with pursed lips as her eyes glowed bright and smoke flooded the house. The last time he had seen her do this was at sixteen. There had been a look of wonderment in her face. Now, her gaze was cold. Their powers were for a purpose, not for fun. Not for exploration. Fisher desperately missed those times.

When she tapped on the glass Fisher pulled himself out reluctantly. He could remember the grip of Mr. Bridge on his wrist, so tight it left a mark, pulling him away from the kitchen cupboard, trying to find food after they had forgotten to feed the rest of the children. It was mortifying.

But he got out of the car reluctantly, and nodded to her, like a business partner might. He had no room in his heart left for love now.. it was only replaced by fear. Here we go.

Delilah Buress

Where Fisher had fear, Delilah had determination. Determination, albeit fueled by anger. This was not what she wanted for their lives. This was not something she had ever wanted. Being back here, standing in that drive way, looking up at the house. They should never have had to return, but Solomon had removed the opportunity to choose, and this was the best way to make sure that he was never able to do that to them, again.

It wasn't an easy task... particularly because stealth was necessary, even at night. Also particularly because neither Mr. or Mrs. Bridges were small, delicate people. By the screen of fog she created from the exhaust pipes of Fisher's truck, they were afforded privacy, but it took long... too long, and Delilah was exhausted and covered in sweat by the time they managed to get the two into the bed. Blessedly, there had been no one else within the house, a small favor, even if it wasn't enough to have stopped years of torment for others...

After that, it was making sure they didn't wake, until they arrived at their destination. She explained, briefly, to Fisher that it was considered a safehouse, outside of the city. Not entirely remotely, but distant enough that there would be no way Solomon could guess it's location. The drive was made in near silence, Delilah not able to bring herself to say anything. By the time they arrived, the roads were nearly abandoned, a stillness falling over the world that only deep evening could provide.

The safehouse light was on when they arrived, and asking Fisher to hold back in the truck, she climbed out to approach. There seemed to be a brief conversation with someone just beyond the door, then turning around, Delilah gestured back to the truck. Not a minute later, she returned to the cab and slipping in, closed the door behind her, "They'll just be a minute. Gonna carry them in and they'll hold them in the basement for a few days. It's pretty unconventional, considering what they usually handle, but I'm calling in a favor." Looking at the dashboard, she frowned softly, "I think they might be government or something. I never asked. They approached me, a few years back, when I was still with Murphy. Asked me to help them take down his crew. Afterwards, things got a little dark for me... so, I stayed here for a while. Guy in charge apparently got a huge commendation, said he owed me one. And here we are."

Two figures, silhouetted by the truck lights left the building and moved towards the vehicle. For a minute or two there was some shuffling in the back, banging, a grunt and a loudly muttered swear, and then they reappeared, dragging the Bridges towards the house, "Eesh..." She winced, smiling slyly, "They're gonna have some bruises tomorrow."

Fisher Hawkins

The silent drive only added to his anxiety, especially the fact that he had no idea where he was driving. Lilah had more secrets than he cared to admit, and he felt almost angry by the fact that his life was nothing as horrible as hers was turning out to be. Perhaps it was a little bit immature of him.. But he couldn’t wrap his head around the idea that Lilah had gotten into so much trouble.. And he hadn’t been there to help her through a moment of it.

When she finally explained the nature of her ‘safehouse’ Fisher’s mouth fell open. “A favor.” He echoed. How many debts was she in? How many people owed her? There was so much he didn’t know… so much he wasn’t sure he was ready to discover.

He couldn’t bring himself to smile as the Bridges were dragged away like dolls. It didn’t bring him any joy. “So not only did you pedal drugs, you have government connections?” He breathed through an uncomfortable laugh. “You’re a mystery, Lil.”

Fisher pulled his hand down his face, rubbing his eyes. “Let’s get out of here.” He breathed, pulling out of the driveway and setting off on the road back to Millennium. “Are we… going to the Havershimes?” He breathed. Fisher didn’t want to talk about it.. Didn’t want to voice his traumatic experience out loud. He couldn’t imagine how Lilah had done it.

Delilah Buress

With a small sigh, Delilah continued to stare at the dash, shaking her head slowly at his comments, "I know. I know, it's a lot, Fish. and someday, I'm gonna tell you everything. I wish I could, right now. I promise though, this is about as weird as it goes. I just needed a change, needed to go up from rock bottom, you know? And they gave me a shot at it."

Her life had gone up after that... perhaps not far, but it had improved. She'd found a job, a therapist... a life, beyond the dreary, miserable existence she had carved from their past, and she had clung to it with both hands, unrelenting. She had thought it was enough, and for a while it was. But there was a real opportunity, now, to dig in to the life that she and Fish should have had... that time denied them. And she wouldn't waste it.

Looking over at him, she smiled faintly, "For you, Fish? I'm an open book."

The smile faded, however, as he continued and looking out the windshield of the truck, she considered their options. They could go home... go home, satisfied that they had stopped Solomon from destroying the Bridges. They could leave, and hope that he gave up. Hope that he was finished. But the truth of the matter was, they both knew it was far from over, and all they had done was narrow down his targets...

"The Havershimes." She said, with a definitive nod, "Let's get this over with."

Fisher Hawkins

"For you, Fish? I'm an open book."

Those words finally brought him out of his dizzy stupor. He glanced at her with a small smile on his lips, one that lingered as he returned his eyes to the road. “Thank you.” He mumbled. He wasn’t sure what for. For her openness. For everything that had happened between them. For her.. Sticking by his side, now. Even with all that had happened.

Though the drive back was still quiet, it wasn’t as heavy of a silence. He knew where the Havershimes were, too. Without another glance. The edge of the city.. Was a place he hadn’t explored often. And it was pretty. Quiet, and peaceful.. And he was happy to drive through it with her.

Soon they’d be able to do this without Solomon lingering over their heads. Take a trip to the countryside. Explore the rest of the world, a world they had never gone to see.

When he pulled into a spot on the street near the bend that turned straight into the Havershimes, Fisher glanced at Lilah. He wanted to say so much. He wanted to talk about all the times he missed her in those years… and all the times as a child he had looked up to her for strength. He wanted to pour his worries onto her, spill all his demons, and curl up with her in his arms after it had all been laid on the table.

Instead, he leaned over and kissed her, putting it all into a wordless exchange. He didn’t know how to say it all.. Not yet. But he would, soon.

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
Delilah Buress

To Delilah, they had just been words. A simple truth and little more. She meant them, with every fiber of her being she meant them, but she couldn't have known what a profound impact they might have of Fish... Had she, she might've said them much sooner.

They arrived just outside of the Havershime's home and as the truck pulled to a stop, idling in the silence, she considered the last time they had been there. They had been so young... Too young, and the hatred, the sorrow, the pain that they had endured in that house still clung to her, trapped at the back of her mind, filed away to preserve some semblance of happiness. Without Fisher's intensely brave sacrifice, they might never have gotten out. They might never have gotten free. And then, perhaps, they would all have ended up like Solomon. Broken puppets to their own madness.

Fisher turned towards her and his eyes met hers, and wordlessly, he leaned in. Delilah met him halfway across the bench, her arms winding around his shoulders and she pulled herself closer, pulled herself into that embrace, fervent and sweet, until her lungs were jealous for air.

Fisher Hawkins

When they fell apart for air, he brought his hand to her cheek, gazing into her eyes. He had never gotten over her beauty, the way her cool eyes glimmered and her lips, rose red, were soft and sweet. Within moments he was kissing her again, enveloping her, running his hand through her golden curls.

He could hear the echoes of his memories, trying to pull them apart. The snapping of canine teeth, ripping flesh. Blood, everywhere, and childish screaming.. He could relive it all, that 911 phone call. Lilah shouting through the phone. He didn’t want to feel it anymore. Didn’t want to relive it like it was yesterday, because it wasn’t. It was years and years ago and he didn’t have to choke himself up like the wound was still fresh.

“I love you.” He murmured between kisses, in their pauses for air. With Delilah he would put it behind him. They would do it together. They would, and they were, and he wasn’t going to hide anymore. He wasn’t going to run anymore.

Delilah Buress

His words reached her ear and her heart nearly burst for them, as she took them in, let them fold around her, strong and safe and perfect. The Havershimes went out of her mind as she whispered a breathless response, repeating the words back to him, with emphasis, and shifting, she pulled herself closer, her legs braced on either side of his, her hands driving through dark hair.

Pulling back only slightly, she trailed kisses along his jaw, and the stem of his throat, her hands dropping, resting against his stomach, fingers curling in the fabric of his shirt. This was where she wanted to be... needed to be. Here, with Fisher, living in a moment that the world couldn't take, a moment that time couldn't ruin. She loved him, more than she'd ever allowed herself to realized and that love propelled her, pushed her...

For the first time in her life, she wasn't afraid of what she felt. Maybe because for the first time in her life it was right. It was right, and she wasn't going to take that for granted. She would never take him for granted.

Fisher Hawkins

Heat radiated from between them, a breathy gasp falling from his mouth as her kisses travelled down his neck. Fisher wrapped his arms around her, supporting her back against him, pulling her into him. He never wanted to let go, never wanted this to hand. As her hands bunched his shirt up, he found his neck straining up, heart beating. “Lilah..” he murmured, letting her name roll of his tongue.

Nothing would tear them apart. Not ever again. Not even the man in the grey hoodie moving past the truck, towards the.. wait.

“Lilah!” Fish shouted, snapping to attention as he grabbed her shoulders, cutting their moment short. “I saw - I saw Sol!” His voice was filled with desperate urgency, panic. He had been abruptly brought out of their little hole in time, but it was too late for him to come back to it.

Hurrying to rearrange himself, Fisher shoved the car door open. “Get the Havershimes — I’m going after him. I’m sorry!” He cried, planting one hurried kiss on her forehead and darting out.

Delilah Buress

It was surprising to most, that despite her troubled, difficult background, Delilah Buress did not possess a great deal of physical experience. Yet there something with Fisher that felt instinctual. She didn't need to think or plan... just act, and the gentle sounds he made were enough to tell her she was on the right track.

Her name, breathed against the shell of her ear was like a prayer, sending a shiver along her spine, and her lip curved up in a smile as she continued the line of kisses towards the cup of his shoulder...

The second time he said her name, however, drove Delilah upright and for a moment, confusion mingled with fear, before he continued and her heart sank, desperately into her stomach. As he unseated her with a kiss to the forehead, Delilah reached out to grab his hand, to pull him back, but he was already gone, "Fisher!" She cried, and untangling herself, she darted for the door.

The Havershimes. Damn the Havershimes. They could melt for all she cared. Solomon's words from the funeral echoed in her mind, and panic gripped her as she dashed across the yard. He would kill Fisher. He would kill him... just to hurt...

"Hello, Delilah." The voice came from out of nowhere, and with a small cry of surprise she spun to see Solomon to her left. His approach was quick, too quick, and she felt the prick of the needle before she'd registered he had moved at all. Looking at her arm, as he pulled the syringe free, she sucked in a breath, "Don't worry... I'm gonna take good care of you.." He cooed, softly, reaching out to stroke back her hair.

She swung at him, but already she could feel the lethargy taking control, her motions dull and unfocused. He reached out as her knees gave way and caught her, hefting her off her feet and with a whimper, she tried to push away only to find she could barely move.

Their journey was quick, in pposite direction and setting her down by the base of a tree, he pulled a phone from the pocket of his jeans, pressing a button, a coin bouncing between the fingers of his free hand. The phone rang, before the message picked up and smiling, Solomon looked back at Delilah, delight in his tone as he spoke, "Did you like my decoy, Little Minnow? Pretty funny, watching you rush out of the truck like that. Such a brave little fish. Too bad it was a waste of time. I have her, Fisher. You want her back, you'd better be prepared for worse than a dog bite."

Depressing the end-call button, he turned back around and scooping Delilah up, he continued through the small treeline, to where a silver Lumina waited. He laid her in the backseat and as he straightened, he smiled down at her, reaching out to brush the hair from her face, "I'll be right back, Lil... Hang tight."

Fisher Hawkins

He took off in a panicked daze, chasing after the grey hood. As he ran, the wind pushed against him, wetness formed in his eyes. He’d ran away from her in their most intimate moment.. and he hated himself for that. But he hated Solomon more than that, more than anything. And now, he was going to end it.

With a sudden burst of speed, fueled by anger and sorrow, Fisher tackled Solomon to the ground. He brought his fist up as he turned him over, teeth gritted through tears. No superpowered gloves, no white mask. Just him and…

“H-h-hey!” Blurted the man under Fish’s grasp, who was very obviously not Solomon. “He just paid me to walk by, take his hoodie, I swear! I haven’t done anything, I—“

Fisher shoved him away, shakily standing up. “Get out of here.” He whispered, voice cracking. The decoy didn’t hesitate, pulling himself up and dashing out through the trees, leaving Fish to glance wildly around him. It had all been a trick. Every bit of it. Lilah.

He ran back to the car and found the door wide open. His eyes were wide, heart pounding out of his chest. His phone, left in the cup holder between seats, blinked with the arrival of a new message. He frantically grabbed for it and pressed play.

As Solomon’s voice rang true through the phone the tears in his eyes finally fell. When the message ended the phone fell from his quivering hands and clattered on the asphalt. And then, the Havershime home exploded in the evening light, fire blazing the same way the Declain house had seven years ago. They had fallen right into his trap. And all Fisher could do was watch.