Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
Zu18gur.jpg

"When we had no home, he gave us a place to belong. When we had no purpose, he gave us a reason to live. But above all else, he recognized us."

—Kitagawa, Katsugu

GM: @fol·ly·cle

Group Size: 5 players
Genre(s): Fandom, Action, Drama
Pace: One to two posts per week
Quality: Two or more literate paragraphs
Theme:

Blacklights is an alternate universe Boku no Hero Academia roleplay, set in Sapporo. While you don't need knowledge of the show or the show's characters to participate, a general understanding of the setting and how quirks (the show's term for superpowers) work will be necessary. You can find information regarding quirks, as well as a good summation of the setting, here.
In a world full of superpowered humans, the world of heroes overshadows all else. Natural talents such as those of the musician and artist go largely ignored in favor of those that protect the weak. Those with less than spectacular quirks, along with those who've no quirk at all, are kicked to the sidelines, while those with amazing abilities are tossed into the spotlight, leaving little room for anyone else. For five orphans, a life lacking such recognition is exactly the type of life they lead. That is, until they're taken in by a young man who goes simply by Lighthouse. He offers them a place to stay, a goal to strive for, and a means to make their voices heard. After several years of training their quirks, they would turn their disadvantage into their advantage.

In a world full of heroes...

...they would become villains.

With this proposition came rules, the first among them being that they never harm unless it was necessary to save the lives of their new family. The second was that they were not to use their quirks while out in public unless together with the family while committing a crime. The third was to never reveal their identities, no matter how tempting it might be. The final rule, and the one he claimed to be most important, was simple.

Always remember family.

With newfound hope filling their hearts and a glimmer of light just beyond their reach, their family's journey to make a name for themselves began.

Rules

1. This goes without saying, but follow all site rules.
2.. I, the GM, have final say.
3. Keep IC drama and OOC drama separate, and keep OOC drama between the involved parties, and an admin if necessary.
4. No godmodding or plotbunnying. I will accept ideas for developmental arcs for individual characters, but don't force them into the roleplay.
5. Roleplay with integrity. I don't have a combat system for this roleplay, so I'm trusting and expect players to carry out fights fairly and logically.
6. If you will be unable to make a post within a 7 day period, please let me now so we can carry on with the roleplay as opposed to waiting for a post that will never come. If inactivity seems to be bogging down progress, I may ask you to leave the roleplay.
7. As is the goal of any worthwhile roleplay, have fun!

Character Sheet

Feel free to format this as you wish, so long as it contains the required information.

Name:

Alias:

Age: (A reminder that our characters are teenagers. Try to stay between 15 and 19.)

Sex:

Appearance: (You can include an image above the name and put here whatever, if anything, the image doesn't cover, or just type a description of your character,)

Nationality:

Background: (Remember they were an orphan before Lighthouse took them in.)

Personality: (Just a brief summation of the pros and cons of them as a person.)

Quirk Name & Type:

Quirk Description:

Theme: (Just some music that you feel represents your character. Optional.)

Discord: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Please refrain from joining the Discord until your character has been accepted.

Last edited:
3c9ddccaf40e0c2369f77c95352df0bc.jpg

Name: Morgan Ozaki
Alias: Puppet Master
Sex: Male
Appearance: At 5'6"(1.67m) and 110lb(50kg), he's a shorter malnourished boy with long black hair and permanent dark eye circles.
Nationality: British

Background:
I'm what you'd call a social reject, but not just because I'm an introvert with weird fashion sense. More like there's no place for me in society. Suppose my birth mom had a clairvoyant quirk and that's why she dumped me in an orphanage. Doesn't really matter. What does matter is the 'oh so lovely' couple of Asians who adopted me. Think I was supposed to cement their new life in England. They were nice at first, taught me enough on medicine that I've probably forgotten more than the average adult knows... where was I going with this? Oh. Social reject.

Well being a nerdy, quirkless introvert is a dandy enough reason to get you bullied in school, but having everyone find out your an orphan really doesn't help. There were a couple girls who were nice to me who I became friends with. Which, of course, was just another target on my back. "I bet that emo kid's gay, that's why he's always hanging out with those two." Heh. Can't imagine how much worse it would've been if they knew it was true. Actually I can imagine.

One day mom and pop were arguing again, dad got pretty depressed. Something about thinking he was a failure as husband, father, doctor, etc. I can relate to the feeling, but our typical connection those days was more eye-to-fist than eye-to-eye. Still I decided to be a shoulder for the adult, lie that it wasn't his fault, and even come out to him to maybe explain why I was so secretive... That was a mistake. Not a month later, we were moving back to their home country of Japan due to "better jobs." I guess they were concerned the only person that gave me meaning would ruin my life. That said... in their defense, my quirk had manifested in the worst way possible around that same time so maybe we're all actually fugitives lol. Note to self: avoid red ink.

But, it wasn't so horrible at first. Long-distance relationship was kinda fun, and I transitioned to life in Japan pretty... well, I could at least understand everyone if not speak properly. Pretty sure I still sound like a child to most of the people here. Anyhow, it all started going down hill once I was pressured into a hero academy and promptly failed my way into General Studies. That's about when family arguments were getting worse, I got dumped over text, grades slipped, and I ran out of anti-depressants. Doctors at the psychiatric hospital usually agreed my life seemed stressful once they'd fixed my half-dead body, but there's always a placating tone to their voice. Of course once I was released from the hospital, there was just more yelling so that was nice. But hey, I was finally able to figure out my quirk while at the center. I've gotten pretty good at drawing since running away from home too. My puppets are pretty light-fingered so I've not starved to death yet, but its still uncomfortable to see how many ribs I have lately.

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to make it through the winter. Part of why I wrote this was to help against the amnesia spells, or maybe my subconscious just wanted an obituary. Some weird guy actually offered me a place to stay, but I told him no. Figured this was how people get killed by serial abductors or something, but on second thought that wouldn't be so bad. So. I guess I'm going to look for that address he mentioned and if I wind up butchered, look for a "Mr. Lighthouse." Alternatively if I just get lost... I think this'll be my last journal entry anyway. I'm tired. So, to whoever ends up finding this, that's the story of Morgan Ozaki. Hope you have a nice day, pretty sure I ran out of those a long time ago.
Personality:
Quiet, apathetic, and judgmental from birth. A history of psychological and sometimes physical abuse has left him with an empty soul accepting of any and all outcomes. Morgan's judgmental streak, though, is mostly an internal affair. He'll tend to observe and analyze every little detail about others, which was once a defense mechanism against bullies but has since turned into a general callous opinion of human beings.

Since joining Lighthouse, Morgan has become more humorous in the comparatively short time he's lived with the man. In order to not sound so doom and gloom to his caretaker and the other orphans, Morgan tries to put a comedic spin on his depressing quips. That said, who knows if anyone is actually understanding a word he says given Morgan forgets every other word in Japanese. Even English he struggles with lately, no doubt a result of severe starvation and hypothermia; though he has been slowly recovering since his 2nd adoption. Is still quite the nerd though yet is starved for knowledge as he's been out of the loop for quite some time.

Morgan's stance on Heroes and quirk society was always dismal at best. Having grown up thinking he was quirkless, Morgan was given the unique perspective of seeing how reliant and focused the world is on Heroes. Simply being able to punch through or blow up a building was what mattered, instead of intellect or love or art. Even on realizing he'd possessed a quirk all along, nothing changed because his stance had evolved from spite toward the privileged to bitterness at the world.

Quirk Name & Type:

Ink Blot - Emitter

Quirk Description:
Any creature Morgan draws with a pen he can absorb into his palm then emit the black ink until it materializes into a real-world form that he can control. The larger the drawing, the more powerful/durable it is but at the cost of the creature being far more passive and stamina draining. Conversely, small ink puppets are easy to make/control but aren't very strong. Morgan once drew and absorbed a drawing of red ink but the creature immediately attacked Morgan then terrorized the subdivision before local Heroes swiftly put it down.

A caveat to his power is that he cannot absorb dry ink. Images from magazines or computer printed won't work either, so in order to spawn an ink puppet, Morgan generally has to draw the creature within five minutes before its too dry for him to absorb. Of course, dryness varies with the ink and paper. If half of an image has dried when Morgan attempts transmutation, the creature will be missing half its body. One additional note is that Morgan himself does not have to draw the image, but the same time limits still apply.

Theme:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wryneck
First off, thank you Follycle for saying yes lol. Or at least a "maybe." ^^" um, I tried writing this as quick as possible so you wouldn't have to wait too long to review my CS or anything. But yeah, please let me know what you'd like changed if there's an issue!

Reactions: Wryneck
First off, thank you Follycle for saying yes lol. Or at least a "maybe." ^^" um, I tried writing this as quick as possible so you wouldn't have to wait too long to review my CS or anything. But yeah, please let me know what you'd like changed if there's an issue!
Discord link is at the bottom of the first post. Get in, bucko.

• Thank You
Reactions: Desert Bee