Capturing the Zeitgeist: Plagiarism

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

RiverNotch

any pronouns
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
I'm about to leave for the theatre to watch the film version of Beyonce's Renaissance, so I myself risk plagiarizing if I tried to present anything meatier. I might, or might not, write up something more cohesive, but for to not be beat by my fellow nerds:
I mean, I doubt many of you haven't seen this yet, so what I'm curious about is what your takes are on this, especially with regards to your experiences as witnesses, victims, or even former perpetrators (present perpetrators on this site will probably get banned xD). The last time I plagiarized willfully1​ was in high school, for the occasional bit of homework2​ where, pressed for time, the whole classroom just copied the answers of one or two ultra-nerds. Come college, my anxiety never quite manifested into plagiarism, I guess because I preferred to fail a class by inaction than be seen as that sort of thief. Or....actually, plagiarism might go beyond mere theft, as hbomberguy suggests, though the following response video notes that hbomberguy's characterization of plagiarism as willful disrespect ain't quite there:
One note on this response video (which I had first written for Discord -- ay, the classic self-cite!)​
[The response video] shows how beneficial the specialization of academia can be[,] that [its author] can very succinctly put what hbomberguy had to go through get lengths to express, in critiquing (well, criticizing) iilluminaughtii's pastebin thing: evidently there is a distinction between citation of ideas and citation of expressions, and while iilluminaughtii cited (badly) ideas, because she never said she was quoting/adapting when she quoted/adapted, she never cited any expressions.
I am reading up a bit more on this subject, though, especially because there is one notable example of plagiarism that sticks out in my mind where the value of plagiarism being entirely negative is put into question. Did y'all know that the late, great Martin Luther King, Jr. was a plagiarist, particularly in his academic, rather than his oratorical, works? They discovered this fact back in 19883​ and, well, I'm actually not sure where that debate has since gone, though it has led me to this fascinating article on the philosophy/psychology of plagiarism that seems to be considerably sharper than the analyses of either hbomberguy or even Plagiarism Today -- sharper, at least when compared to Plagiarism Today, insofar as it refuses to look at the problem purely in terms of commodity. Instead, the author relates it to conquest, to the plagiarist's preference of exploitation over exploration, or better still to the plagiarist's self-annihilating submission to the authority of those that come before them....really, I encourage y'all to also check this article out, and not just because I'm running out of time here xD:​
https://doi.org/10.1080/09697250903006435

Footnotes:
1​ -- Turnitin does classify cryptomnesia as a form of plagiarism, but I don't think any of the authors here cover it as such, and that's fair enough: serious writers tend to catch such cases within their first couple of passes. Y'all do read through your more serious work to revise it pre-submission, right?
2​ -- This was usually the case, for my part, when it came to homework in Filipino, since I'm just not as good with our supposed native language as I am with English xD.
3​ -- While I could cite the article below for this, I actually knew about Martin Luther King Jr.'s plagiarism long before this, to the point that it falls into "common knowledge" for me. But it's easy enough for you, the general, non-academic audience, to find the papers (say, Garrow, 1991?) that initially dealt with this subject via Google Scholar.

So I like many people watched the video. I had not heard of Hbomberguy nor any of the accused plagiarist. But now that it's been pointed out to me that there's reaction videos about this I'm going back into the rabbit hole. There's a good chance I will be following a few more folks.

As for the topic of plagiarism itself I think the reasons aren't all that different between academia vs post-academia but there's an interesting feeling of being cheated on if it's a journalist, author, YouTuber you're invested into.

Reactions: RiverNotch
I thought this new video was very informative

Reactions: RiverNotch