Chapter 0: Pioneer's Jubilee

Thomas Baris - The Land; The Centre
Enjoying the look of bitterness on the tinkerers face Thomas continued to twist the key of one of the apparatuses, pretending to be her blissful, clueless self. While she didn’t like to stand in the fire of drama she sure did like to see people kicking up a fuss. It made for an interesting story, and stories was all she was here for.

“You can call me Tom!” she chirped as Minerva introduced her. “I’m not looking for anything in particular, just a story,” she nonchalantly answered Madam Keys before flitting over to where Minerva sat. The tall woman made a big swing to turn herself towards the music instrument with brass keys, examining it with untrained eyes and an empty look.

“All I ever ping is the devil,” the female answered mischievously as she hit a few keys at random. Just to test it out, Thomas was no music professional as made obvious, but she wasn’t going to let that deter her from having some fun. Besides, it seemed to rattle Madam Keys if she did so, and catching people of guard was key for her article.

“Make it quick, though. I heard something big will be happening on the Centre and I don’t want to miss it out,” the reporter continued, taking out a small clockwork to check the time.

Even seated Thomas Baris never seemed to go still, always moving around or making sounds. Distracted by something, caught by another, examining the rest… There was no resting moment with the woman, and Thomas made sure none could rest around her.

@Pahn @Anguissette

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Anguissette
The Sky - Pioneer's Cottage - Lady Almyra Grace Overton

Almyra was struck mute with shock as the woman insulted her. It had been ages since anyone had dared to sass her like that, certainly not in the last half a year since she became Lady Overton and a member of the Council. The last person had probably been one of her sisters, making some snide joke about how Almyra must have been a stray child from the Land picked up by the loving and generous Overtons in a fit of foolish charity. That thought came with a pang of sadness for her many losses, but it didn't last one.

One of the guards at her back was stepping forward with a very menacing set to his shoulders, but Almyra firmly lifted a hand to order him to halt. He did, muttering darkly under his breath, but she paid it no mind. Her attention was all on the woman in front of her, the one who'd dared to mock her as if they were of equal status. Some small part of her was offended, but mostly she was in agreement with the assessment and couldn't help the grin spreading across her face.

"Y'know, I think you're right. My peers always did say I was daft." Almyra spoke in a conspiratorial whisper, just loud enough for the woman to hear but not to extend much further. "Of course I've got the last laugh now, and it's quite fun seeing them bow and curtsy as they see me walk by, trying desperately to make small talk so they can tell their friends about it later. 'Lady Overton, so lovely to see you again, how was last night's Council meeting?'" The last was said in a comically high pitched voice, full of exaggerated obsequiousness.

Almyra chuckled and shook her head, then gave the woman a wink before speaking in a normal tone and volume once more. "Honesty is a rare and refreshing commodity here in the Sky, but few are willing to accept it. Count yourself lucky that it was me, dear, and not someone less agreeable. Are you finished examining me yet? As I said, I do have somewhere to be, and this delay is less than ideal." Where others likely would have made a threat after revealing their high status to someone giving them lip, Almyra's voice was chipper and full of good humor and she had not made any move to use that status as a cudgel to bash her way through this little safety check. As simple as it would be, and as much as she truly did have somewhere to be, for the moment Almyra was mostly interested in seeing how the woman would react to the new knowledge of who exactly she was speaking to.

@Nemopedia

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
Donegal;Tulpen One;

GM Post
A steady stream of people are going in and out of The Sky, some visiting the ever-so-popular attraction of the replica. Others are merely in The Sky to sightsee and steal some relics back and enjoy some fresh air. With the extra pairs of feet in the upper layer the horizon is swaying with a bigger angle than usual, however with the rails set in place at the side, as well as the whole phenomena passing by ignored no one truly notices or feels alarmed.

Waiting for the appearance of the Council the Centre is slowly filling in, most of the citizens having finished paying the Lodging its annual visit. A stage is set decorated with all that represents Golden City and its layers. Flowers from the greenhouses in The Sky, brass items made by the fabrics of The Land, and coals from the mines in The Underground. A lectern is placed in the middle of the stage with at the right a neat row of ten seats behind. Surrounding the stage a row of guards stand, cloaked in their mysterious fabrics. Any moment now the Council could come out and the citizens are eager.

Amongst the dense crowd a few demonstrants seize their opportunity for attention. They have been in the Centre since the morning, waving their banners and trying to convert the people. A few phrases are constantly chanted, expressing all what they believe to be wrong in Golden City.

“Down with nepotism!”

“End the Council!”

“Give back our votes!”

Their protests rile up the crowd while the Council still remains unseen. Some join the chanting where others are uncomfortable with the atmosphere that is hanging. It stays with shoutings alone, fortunately. The crowd is restless, but the Town Hall even more so. While the Council was readying themselves to go public the realisation hit upon them that their youngest member hasn’t joined their ranks yet. Lady Almyra Overton was still nowhere to be found, the dress her servants had brought to prepare her for the appearance still left untouched in the Council room. A few Cloaks were dispatched to look for the missing noble, but the general knowledge was that the female simply forgot the time and is still playing, like she did so often.

Meanwhile a letter was sealed shut and sent onto a special route down The Sky directly to The Land. The servant in question was told to be as inconspicuous as possible and to let no one read the content of the brief except from the addressee, a name that was only known in mind of the servant.

Travelling down with the Tube the servant hurriedly followed the instructions of his master, joining in an excited crowd bidding for a special good. Pushing through the young man heard the price of the automaton grow considerably, rising into amounts only The Sky could afford. Servants ordered to lay their hands on the most eccentric item they could find today were nervously thinking of the figures their master could afford and eccentric figures who had travelled from far for just the occasion were bidding and overbidding each other.

Climbing up the stage towards Celia the servant stepped towards her creator, eyes flitting over the pair in confusion. It was only up close that the man realised that this truly was no girl. A terrifying tremble went through his spine, a bad conscience eating up at him. Ignoring the feeling the servant handed over the sealed letter, hands gloved in silk gloves to signify his high status within the ranks of the maids and servants. On the envelope a blue seal was waxed with golden details. The inscription of the wax was too wavy and too curly to make out what the seal was. The other side of the envelope blank, but it had reached its destination.

“With the best wishes from the master,” the attendant told the owner before exiting the stage again. Uncaring to what the reaction is of the master and apathetic to the offers of the crowd for Celia.

In the streets the fanfare continued to dance its way through the city. Caprioles were pulled as the dancers enticed the crowd, flirting with the girls and exciting the boys. The constant flourish of movements with their colourful masks was a sight to behold which a rare few could ignore. Golden City was distracted by all that danced and happened.

Amongst the people the children were the happiest, darting around and trying to get their hands on the sweets given out today. Gay on sugar the young were easy to lose sight of, wandering around alone with their eyes glazed and their step unstable. On a day full of festivities no one recognises the dangers around.

With the Maggot riling up the crowd there were only few who truly had the guts and the gal to join the man. While the voice calling for change were loud it remained just that for many. Words without a course and action. The brazen few who decided against passivity remained. Young men looking for an adventure, idealists who hoped to make for a change, and the dreamers who wished to become heroes. All joined the Maggot in his cause and were eagerly awaiting his orders.

A few fanatics already went ahead, climbing up to the Land to start the promise of chaos. However, inconspicuous they weren’t and caught they were soon. It was as if the city was already filtering out those who would be no good for the Maggot’s plan.