Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
Character Origination Prompts​

Time to make a new character, but you're clueless? Just want to invite a new person to live in your head? Want to round out a character who's been untouched for a while?

This thread is for you and anyone else who feels like doing character work today.

Use as many or as few of the prompts as you like, and create!

How Do I Take Part?​
Each week, I will post three random prompts in line with the title theme: images, text, dialog, links to articles, or other neat things that seem like they could spark new life. I may also include bonus rounds! You can make whatever character you want, and they don't have to fit everything (or anything at all).

I'll provide an (optional) "basic" character sheet that you can use.

Click Here for the Optional Character Sheet
[b]Full Name:[/b]
(Including titles.)

[b]Nicknames:[/b]
(Including titles that aren't part of formal address.)

[b]Species:[/b]
(Could include a few notes on if they're variant or unusual.)

[b]Occupation:[/b]
(Don't be afraid to be descriptive!)

[b]Age:[/b]
(Actual and/or apparent.)

[b]Sexuality:[/b]
(Gender, physical sex, and preferences.)

[b]Eyes:[/b]
(Color, shape, position...)

[b]Hair:[/b]
(Color and style.)

[b]Features:[/b]
(Facial and skin descriptions. Eyes, nose, mouth, eyebrows, etc.)

[b]Height:[/b]

[b]Build:[/b]
(Bone structure, musculature, amount of fat, body shape—this is great for giving an idea of history and personality.)

[b]Outfit:[/b]
(What do they wear?)

[b]Body Mods:[/b]
(Scars, tattoos, piercings, prosthetics, and more.)

[b]Impression:[/b]
(What do people think when they encounter this character the first time?)

[b]Voice:[/b]
(Describe the tone, manner, volume, and more about how a character communicates: should include any nonverbal communication methods too!)

[b]Fears:[/b]
(Big or small, what frightens the character?)

[b]Motivation:[/b] (One of the two links below might be helpful.)
https://dragonwritingprompts.blogspot.com/2013/08/maslows-hierarchy-of-needs-for-writers.html
http://www.fiction-writers-mentor.com/maslows-hierarchy-of-needs/

[center][size=2]~*~[/size][/center]

[b]Virtues:[/b] (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Chastity ([i]Castitas[/i])
A habit of controlling inappropriate physical desires and impulses.
Temperence ([i]Temperantia[/i])
Attentiveness to one's needs, with restraint from wasteful excess.
Charity ([i]Caritas[/i])
Willingly giving of the self to ensure others' happiness and health.
Diligence ([i]Industria[/i])
The habit for performing work with perseverance, honesty, and care.
Patience ([i]Patientia[/i])
The ability to forgive and eagerness to seek paths toward harmony.
Kindness ([i]Humanitas[/i])
The sharing of one's skills and possessions for the sake of others.
Humility ([i]Humilitas[/i])
Prioritizing of other individuals and the community above oneself.

[b]Vices:[/b] (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Lust ([i]Luxuria[/i])
The lack of self-control over one's bodily desires and urges.
Gluttony ([i]Gula[/i])
Overindulgence and overconsumption to the point of waste or harm.
Greed ([i]Avaritia[/i])
A disproportionate valuing of material wealth and its acquisition.
Sloth ([i]Acedia[/i])
Habitual apathy or aversion to effort that results in detriment.
Wrath ([i]Ira[/i])
Uncontrolled urges that encourage one to harm to others and self.
Envy ([i]Invidia[/i])
Sad or resentful desire toward traits or possessions of another.
Pride ([i]Superbia[/i])
Obsession with one's own superiority to the detriment of others.

[b]Strengths:[/b]
(What they're good at.)

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
(What they're not good at.)

[b]Quirks:[/b]
(Habits and other little things.)

[b]Racial Details:[/b]
(Optional details about the character's race.)

[center][size=2]~*~[/size][/center]

[b]History:[/b]
(Write a brief backstory.)

[b]Hook/Summary:[/b]
(You can include something meant to catch interest here.)

Prompts:
  1. This character lives underground.
  2. Their profession is boring with a capital BORED.
  3. They stand out in society in some major way.

Bonus Rounds:
  • They're the only member of their race present.
  • Others in the setting are curious about them, and either love or hate them, hardly anything in between.

a8e535dd76a1344130ef6da661b9d519.jpg

I made a starter profile for the picture. So the profile is for a level one character who hasn't started their campaign yet while the picture is her at level 10.

Full Name:
Noza

Nicknames:
Useless, Changeling, Dead Lover

Species:
Human

Sweeper

Sexuality:
Pansexual

Eyes:
Light Blue

Hair:
Black

Features:
Pale from living underground and often smudged with dirt and soot.

Height:
4'11" when standing straight up. Often crouches or walks bent over.

Build:
Slim, almost malnourished. Very little fat and muscle.

Outfit:
Two soft panels of cloth tied together around the neck and the waist. Or naked.

Body Mods:
Scars. Mostly silvery slices and a few bunches of teeth marks.

Impression:
Her adopted family thinks she's a disappointment. Everyone else thinks she's a savage weirdo.

Voice:
Speaks harshly in any language. Like she is cursing anyone she is speaking to. Often she yells her words even when being nice.

Fears:
Being thrown out of her adopted family's home. It's all that she knows despite what she has been told about where she has come from.

Motivation: (One of the two links below might be helpful.)
  • Pleasure
  • Greed
  • Food for the clan
  • Status
  • Revenge

~*~

Virtues:
Temperence (Temperantia)
Barely gets the bare minimum, let alone any excess.
Diligence (Industria)
Has to work, build, and trap or doesn't eat.

Vices:
Gluttony (Gula)
Tries to steal, borrow, or buy everything that isn't hers.
Greed (Avaritia)
A disproportionate valuing of material wealth and its acquisition.
Wrath (Ira)
If something or someone makes her mad she is going to hurt them forever.
Envy (Invidia)
Resentful desire toward traits or possessions of another.
Pride (Superbia)
Obsession with one's own superiority to the detriment of others.

Strengths:
  • Sweeping
  • Being fat
  • Trapping dumb surface people
  • Being tall
  • Bringing dead to life

Weaknesses:
  • Mining
  • Vision - Needs light
  • Crafting
  • Unable to breed
  • Height
  • Food requirement

Quirks:
  • Likes to bring to life rodents and bugs to annoy her clan
  • Likes to go to the surface
  • Likes to bathe
  • Bleeds monthly
  • Weak skin and nails
  • No tail

~*~

History:
Kobolds aren't stupid, but the child was the size of theirs when first hatched, so they let the crazy old Kobold female, Tegla bring the child into their cave. Some grew fond of the human child they nicknamed Changeling, while others thought she would make a good snack. What both factions agreed on was Noza made excellent bait for traps. Even more so when she was screaming with hunger or thirst. For that she was kept around and humored.

Her physical size and slow mental growth was often an annoyance that was ignored only because Tegla, who'd taken her in, was crafty and scary. Her collection and skills for jewelry making legend in the closest four clans. The crazy old female taught Noza everything she knew. From jewelry making to trap making. Skills highly prized in their society. Tegla was patient with the Changeling child, but not kind. No Kabold was kind to anyone, let alone a child that didn't quite belong with them and that taught Noza how to act. As Noza got older, Tegla was often found swatting Noza for playing with dead things when she should be practicing her jewelry and trap making.

When she deemed herself ready, Noza stated her interest and one or two daring males attempted to breed with her with little success. She enjoyed the experience, but because she laid no eggs, the males quickly looked for new mates that could give them offspring. As often as she could, Noza would convince males, and sometimes other females, to come to the breeding grounds with her. While Noza often felt she got more out of the deal, she didn't stop her selfish perusal of pleasure. Whatever form it took at the time.

Things only slightly changed when Tegla died under the claws of another Kobold looking to steal the old female's horde of jewelry and traps. Nova, who's skill in jewelry making would be renowned anywhere else, was pushed out of it due to her designs not being good enough for the Kobold. Likewise, her traps were considered sub-par due to her clumsy fat fingers. Noza was good at sweeping, though. She could get all the spots others couldn't reach due to their shorter arms and body. Their shrine to Kurtulmak, after Tegla's death, was soon the only room Noza could be found in due to her 'job'. When she gets too angry at being exiled without really exiled, Noza will go to the surface and trap as many beings as she can, intelligent or not, and bring them down to her clan so they will remember her worth.

It lasts for a while, until the cycle repeats itself.

Hook/Summary:
On the surface again, having to prove her worth to her people who refuse to just accept the fact that she knew what she is doing and could be an asset rather than sweeping the same room until the say she died. Tossing her stolen gear down between two bushes, Noza looked around the area with suspicious eyes. The woods felt different this time, like something was here or coming here. She didn't like it, but hopefully it would mean something good and big to take back to her clan. Something that could be tortured and eaten.

Crouching down, her soft 'dress' exposing a lot of skin Noza did not see as obscene, she searched through the stolen goods to see what she had to work with. Some of it would have to be taken apart and reconfigured, other things were serviceable with a few tweaks. Sneering at the lackluster ability of the young Kobold who'd let her take from them, she got to work creating. She would make them remember her worth this time. She was clan, she created traps and jewelry just as well as others. Just as good as Tegla. Spotting something useful under the bush she was crouched behind, Noza bend at the waist, her chin scraping dirt as her pale eyes glittered. Big corpses. Many. Inhaling through her nose, she held it there as she summoned her power to bring dead back, focused on the shining exoskeletons that would be her gatherers while she worked.

It took so little to bring them back that she over drew and something far older crawled out of the layers of death and decay under the branches of the bush. No fur left, bones connected by power the same color of her eyes. A squirrel, all bone and missing its tail waited to be bid. She did not keep it waiting for long. The beetles, tearing free of the spider web which had held them, went to gather what they could find, the squirrel digging for more bones. Noza would bring her clan something amazing and they would all prosper because of her.

Full Name:
Elliana Wynlar

Nicknames:
The Light, Glower

Species:
Elf, though unlike any of her kind

To light the tunnels that Dwarven miners create. She stands in the tunnels and glows all day every day. She has no other duty or job. She is not permitted to sit though because it decreases the amount of light that she emits.

Appears to be of maiden age but is actually nearing her five hundredth year

Sexuality:
Female that has been magically enchanted to have no desires sexually of any kind.

Eyes:
Wide set large gray eyes that are slightly angled that take on a shimmer of silver when she is working and allowing her light to shine fully.

Hair:
Silver white hair that is stick straight and which hangs to the floor in a smooth sheet behind her back. it is never cut, and has been looped under the fall and attached to her gown as necessary. It has been suggested that she could braid it, but attempts to do so caused it to break and fall dull, so attaching it with a belt in long layers has become the method of choice.

Features:
Heart shaped face with a slightly pointed chin where her large gray eyes are the focal feature. her complexion is pale but with rosy pink highlights on her temples, cheeks and thin lips. Her expression is generally one of calm steady watchfulness. No one has ever seen her smile or laugh.

Height:
Nearly six and a half feet tall

Build:
She is overly tall for an elf, but has the same lithe and agile body of her shorter counterparts. She is graceful and strong though she appears almost breakable in build.

Outfit:
She is always seen in a white flowing robe which ties at the waist with a single crimson cord. However, while she is working she wears nothing, so as not to impede the light which her body emits from every pore. She is careful to adorn the robe before she allows the light to fully burn and also before she drops the robe to preserve modesty and to avoid offense.

Body Mods:
(Scars, tattoos, piercings, prosthetics, and more.)

Impression:
Elliana is both loved and hated. Those who work in the mines revere her, because her presence there prevents accidents, and enable their work to be done more efficiently and with fewer injuries. Those who encounter her outside of the mines believe her to be aloof and snobbish because of her lack of emotion and conversation.

Voice:
She does not speak often but when she does it is generally to sound a warning or to rely to a direct question. Her voice is light and elegant, like a drop of water falling into a still pond. When sounding a warning however, it carries weight and power as of the voice of a goddess from on high. Many upon hearing that voice are afraid and keep distance afterward. Thus were the tales born that Elliana was no elf ut a drop of water fallen from Zeus' cup.

Fears:
Darkness and enclosed spaces which makes her current job extremely difficult for her.

Motivation:
Elliana was sent to the Dwarven King to work in their mines as a peace offering between the Elves and Dwarves. They war between the two races had lasted for nearly one hundred years and was threatening to cause the numbers of both races to plummet to lows that could spell the end for both races.

~*~

Virtues: (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Chastity (Castitas)
An easy task for one who has been magicked as she has.
Temperence (Temperantia)
She requires little to meet the needs of her body to continue to live and be healthy.
Charity (Caritas)
Elliana has been giving of herself for the benefit of all her people for over fifty years. Had they not magicked her, this might have been a chore, but she feels a great sense of peace and purpose because of the spell.
Diligence (Industria)
She never fails to be at her appointed post every day, nor does she ever leave it. She knows that her presence guarantees the safety of them people who are working, and because she has come to care about their welfare she remains steadfast.
Humility (Humilitas)
She does not feel any need to glorify herself or advance herself in any way. Also a result of the magicking performed before she arrived.

Vices: (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Envy (Invidia)
She has had two times she felt envy, upon seeing a woman with a child and feeling a strong breeze which brought the scent of a spring day down the tunnel to where she was standing.

Strengths:
Elliana is steady, selfless, careful and under control.

Weaknesses:
Personal interaction, casual conversation, friendliness

Quirks:
She never wears shoes even when walking on the rubble in the deepest caves. No one knows why and no one is brave enough to ask.

Racial Details:
As most of her kind, she has the pointed ears that mark the Elf race. hers however are longer and narrower than those of her peers and have a spiraled curl at the very tips.

~*~

History:

Elliana was born to a mage and a spirit guide in a small rural village in the eastern isles of the Elf Kingdom. She had a very happy childhood, until it was evident that she was unlike any others of her race. Their skin was a beautiful copper color and their hair golden like the sun. But hers was almost clear, and pale and her hair stark white with a shimmer of silver shot through it. If that hadn't been enough, she began to tower over every child, then woman, and finally over all them men as well. There was no accounting for the oddity of her appearance, as she was completely healthy in every way. However, upon her first ascent (Which occurred on the first full moon after an elf turned one hundred) her true difference emerged. Light shone from her like a ball of fire, and nearly blinded all who attended the rite. A heavy black cloak was brought and thrown over her and she worked with her father to learn to control the intensity of the light. This process took almost one hundred years, so the cloak became her constant burden during this time.

There were times she was able to free herself of her burdens, but she was always alone and far away from everyone and everything when she did so. Thus began her extremely solitary life, where books and music were her only companions. She spent almost two hundred years thus, until she met Xan. He heard her singing and followed the sound to find a woman bathing in a crystal pool of water whose has floated on the water like a shimmering rainbow in the sunlight. He was enchanted and amazed. She was startled and forgot herself as the light glowing from her turned to blinding white. He shielded his eyes, but did not flee. The two began a tenuous friendship that in time led to more.

The High Counsel of Elves approached her with her duty and the peaceful ramifications and the possible extermination of her race if she refused on the very day Xan had proposed marriage. While they appeared to offer her the option, in truth they did not. The magicker approached her and before she could think of react, the spell which removed all emotion and desire from her was cast. She was then sent to the Dwarven King. Upon seeing the light shining from her, he was impressed but when in the blackness of the caves it was even more pronounced. At first she struggled against the small spaces recoiling in fear and terror, but she overcame that reaction and managed to do as required. With the magic in place taking her to the Dwarven Kingdom was accomplished without difficulty.

Hook/Summary:
Xan was never told of this treachery. He had assumed his lady had changed her mind. He was after all not am elf, or even anything close. perhaps she had come to dislike his hooves? Or his tail? However, three days ago other elves entered his part of the forest and began speaking of the light that was sent to the dwarves to bring peace to their lands. Xan followed and listened as anger welled up within him...so his lady did not change her mind. She had been sacrificed. Suddenly appearing from behind a tree the huge bow trained on the unsuspecting elves, "Where did they send her?" Asked the towering centaur with flaring nostrils and ebony flowing locks.