City of Thieves

D

Demmy

Original poster
IC:

OPEN SIGNUPS City of Thieves

Asterna:

The city is located in the middle of nowhere, a desert called Matina. It is the only city in existence, at least, that's what is believed by the people. You see, anyone who leaves the city and travels beyond the 'ridge' never returns. To top it off, the desert is overrun with creatures that will rip you to pieces at a moments notice. As a result, there is a rule that no one leaves the city, not unless you are a scavenger. The city itself is vast and semi underground. There are farms to cater for food, a giant wall to protect from storms and an underground lake used for water. The city is run by a council of five and each councilers each have an assisstant. There are all sorts of lifestyles available including noble roles, couriers, guards and scavengers. And the thieves, of course, but more on them later.

Now, this city is set in a fantasy world. However, no magic exists to the city itself. It is, infact, unheard of. Technology wise, there is no more than simple guns like rifles and old-styled pistols, however, bullets are rare and expensive, leaving people to rely on meelee weaponry. There are no laws against carrying weapons, but using them can call for ending things... quickly. Education is only reserved for those who can afford it, though medical care is free.

As for the thieves themselves, there is a guild that originally only had 50 members, but not as many anymore. Many believe they don't exist but in truth they have their headquarters underground and have been working on extensive tunnels that reach under the entire city. Some even lead outside the walls. They're very picky on who they invite into their family.

Rules:
- if you play a thief, you must play another 'job'. Meaning you will play two characters. Whilst the thieves will be a major role in the plot, it would be no fun if that's all there is.
- Remember, this is a huge city so not everyone will know everyone.
- Only scavengers have clearance to leave the city due to safety reasons.
- There are no post length expectations. Write as little or as much as you want.
- Please don't express interest and then leave without a word. I will end up messaging you until I get a reply.

Desert Creatures:

Snapjaws - very common - medium build
These creatures are very common throughout the desert and are usually found wandering in family groups. They are quadrupedal with short and stumpy rear legs and long, strong front legs. They can easily be described as 'top heavy' due to their muscluar shoulders compared to the bottom half of the body. All feet are clawed, though are usually used for digging rather than attack and they do not have tails. Their skin is leathery and tough with colours ranging from almost black to a sandy colour (juveniles are usually found to be lighter in colour to help them blend in to the sand). They are the size (height wise) of horses and three times as wide. Head shape is long and thin (similar to a horse) with ear holes on each side. Their eyes are located on each side (four in total with two on each side) and their nose are slits at approximately halfway down the snout. At the end is their main for of attack and what gave them their name. The mouth extends the entire length of the snout with rows of teeth within, however, found at the end of the snout is six long, sharp inscisors (shaped like this: ^^vv^^ ) strong enough to break through bone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Characters:

Demmy
Caramel - thief - female - 12
Melanie (Mellow) Armali - scavenger - female - 23
Emmett Shaulle - courier - male - 20
Oliver Pratchet - councilor - male - 31

Lunarelon
Absinthe Varas - thief - female - 16
Lavonne Varas - shopkeep - female - 20

Wiggin
Barry Klein - scavenger - male - 20
Tommy Thimble - thief - male - 19

TheDevil'sGame
Grey - fence - unidentified - 20-30

CherryRoseLotus
The Amberess - corrupted noble - female - 22

pbirds
Mona Colt - engineer - trans female - 17

CS:

Name:
Skills:
Bio:

Name: Caramel
Skills: Hiding, stealing, selling secrets
Bio: At a young age there was a fire in the slums of the city. Whilst the city had rallied together to do what they could, not everyone was found, including her parents. With no idea who she was, the city couldn't find her next of kin and placed her in a foster home. But eventually she left, finding it better to love on the streets than share her bed with six other kids.
20181027_122026.jpg

Name: Mellow (Melanie) Armali
Skills: sniping, swords and tinkering
Bio: Mellow always had a love for pulling things apart and fixing others. So much so that she was able to become a scavver at the age of 17. She's usually calm, even in the face of monsters and always tries her best to help her teammates.
20181027_123101.jpg

Name: Emmett Shaulle
Skills: Endurance running, charisma.
Bio: Nothing much. He was rich enough to get an education but decided against beco,ing a noble to be a courier. Simply because he found it to be fun and got to meet new people each day.
20181027_123628.jpg

Name: Oliver Pratchet
Skills: Quick thinking, problem solving.
Bio: Generally a kind person who's main reason to be on the council is to ensure that medical services remain free as they are under threat of loosing funding.
20181027_124031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amelia Kennedy
Bio:

Amelia was born with a father who was a thief and it seemed almost right from birth that she would follow the same path. The Kennedy's were known to be a wealthy people, their hidden life unknown to the passing eye. Amelia was taught well in school, as they had enough money for Amelia to learn. A sweet girl she appeared to be, nice, clean, put together. It was unsure if Amelia would choose the life of a thief or choose another life. The whole reason for Amelia's father to be a thief though was because he wanted Amelia to have a better life, a safer life. He never wanted her to choose to be a thief of a scavenger. He wanted her to have a steady occupation, something that would keep her interested but keep her safe from the outside walls and the corrupt underground thieves guild.

Amelia didn't want to be a thief. She wanted to be something special, something that could make a difference. It only made sense for her to fall into politics and a leadership position. The sweet look on her face could get her many places.

Then her father disappeared.

Things changed that day her father didn't come home. She waited, weeks, months, but no news. The thieves didn't know where he went either. Despite being a thief, he was a good father, a decent man in the eyes of a daughter. She refused to believe that he could just leave them and came to the conclusion that either something happened outside the ridge, which would require her to become a thief or scavenger, or something happened internally, something to do with politics and leadership. So it only made sense for Amelia to keep pursuing her passion. She wanted answers and maybe even revenge for her father.

Amelia was named an assistant to a councilor, her main goal to one day become a councilor herself. Then she got her name spread around down under, although the Kennedy name was already known so it didn't take much. Before she knew it she was not only an assistant to a councilor but also a thief. This is the only way to get true answers, to play both sides.

Amelia is a master of deception. She has both the trust of the thieves and the trust of the councilor. What side she truly is on could never be truly known. Amelia herself doesn't even know where he true alliance is, it all depends on how her father disappeared.
Skills: Acting, deception, information gathering, and backstabbing

Poppi Tate
Bio:
Poppi was not born into wealth, she was a street child. Parentless, alone, nobody to care for her. She made her own name up, as she was on the street so long with no memory of her past she decided to make up the name Poppi after a very friendly lady gave her the flower one day, as the lady had nothing more to give the sad street girl.

It was at age 15 she was swooped up by the same lady, who had finally made a living for herself, and she was raised by her. The lady, henceforth known as her mother, gave her everything she needed. She helped fix her up from the sad upbringing she had, gave her food to nourish her. Helped her work past her problems that remained with her psychologically from living on the street.

Poppi hated to see other street children, she constantly wanted to find a way to help them. She hated this city, hated the ridge, hated the secrecy. Hatred festered within constantly towards everything, as nothing seemed right here. Her mother tried to help her work past this, focusing on the positive. She used to say, “At least we have access to free health care.” It was true, that was the only good thing in Poppi’s mind about this horrible place. She wanted to help.

So Poppi went to school, which stretched her mother’s budget and limit. Poppi wanted to become a nurse, that way she could be apart of the one positive thing about Asterna. She could help street kids like herself.

Poppi’s mother passed away the same day she started her first day as a nurse. She wears a locket around her neck with a frail worn out colourless picture of her mother, along with a small dried petal of a poppy flower.

Poppy still festers hate, including hate for herself for not being able to save her mother from the sickness that killed her. However, she tries to smile and loves to help people of less fortune. Those with fortune she has a hard time treating, but still reminds herself of the positive lesson she learned. “At least we have access to free health care.”

Skills: Health care, problem solving, diagnosing, detailed

Last edited:
I'm glad!! I've been thinking a lot about my characters for this!

• Love
Reactions: Demmy
Sorry Demmy, I’ll have to work on my character in the weekend, I have a busy schedule this week with school and Halloween. But if it makes you feel better, I have an idea for my character already.

Name: Faiy Snow
Skills: Bartering, persuasion
Bio: Della is a soft-spoken, sweet girl who is way too trusting of others. She has worked in her family shop for many years, although she has been the only employee for a little over a year. Her father left home on the eve of her 16th birthday to collect more wares for the shop but never returned. Every once and a while she gets deliveries of new items for the shop, but it's nothing compared to when her father would go scavenge. There is a severe lack on income as well. She works her hardest to keep the shop open though, especially since her mother is rather ill, and though healthcare is free, she is the sole income provider for the family.
23c5e02d2a70d8e3c4d224c05d7e11281522953997_large.jpg

Name: Clark Walters
Skills: Stealth, Pick-pocketing
Bio: Clark had a lush, rich life as a child. He got everything he wanted, when he wanted it. Except for one thing. The attention of his parents. He started to get in fights with others and though he would get in trouble, there were never any consequences and his parents still didn't really acknowledge him. He did everything he could, from breaking things to threatening to kill himself, but he was still always ignored. So, out of spite towards his parents, he decided to become a modern day robin hood, stealing from his rich parents and giving to the poor. After getting a taste of that stealing life he moved on to bigger things. Other people, corrupt companies, anyone he deemed 'bad' or ticked him off in some way. He has big issues with the lack of care from his family and often times gets very defensive about it.
tsukipro-char-Shiki-Takamura.jpg

Is this good? I really like the idea for your RP!

Heyy, I really like this idea. Okay if I join?

Im interested! Ill be finishing my characters hopefully tonight.

Name: Absinthe Varas

Skills: Stalking, stealing & murder

Bio: Ever since Absinthe was born, shes seen nothing but crime, usually a kid would think this scary, seeing people being hurt over their possessions, but she was always intrigued by it, thought it to be cool. Absinthe suffers from a personality disorder that makes her give off little to no emotion, she can feel it very mildly, though. Absinthe and her sister, Lavonne, live in the nicer part of the city in an apartment. As Lavonne the only family she has left, they are very close. Absinthe likes to stalk the richer people in the area, finding out every little thing she can before breaking into their home and raiding it. One time, while Absinthe was raiding a penthouse, the owner came home, she tried her best to escape, but got caught. The owner had a piston and effectively shot Absinthe in the thigh, but before the owner could get security, she pulled out her knife and swung at their leg, causing them to fall. As Absinthe never would wear a mask out of cockiness, she stabbed them to death, wrapped her leg, and made an escape. Ever since that day, she got a taste for bloodshed, and will still murder people if they get in the way of her job.

e9cd506642efadb36910d43f722ed2e3.jpg

Name:Lavonne Varas

Skills: Green thumb, fit & dependable

Bio: Lavonne is a very sweet and caring person, she will do anything in her power to help the people she loves. Lavonne is very close with her sister, Absinthe, often taking care of her when her plans go awry, or just in general. Lavonne lives in the nicer part of the city with her sister in an apartment, and runs a plant shop down the block from it. Lavonne takes great pride in her greenery, making sure they are all healthy, and even giving out detailed care booklets of whatever type of plant her customers buy. Lavonne often reads books about mystical forests, where there are deer, elk, bunnies, and all sorts of animals that live in them, she often fantasizes about them, wanting to live with nature. Although very lively, Lavonne had a rough past, often getting in trouble with the wrong group trying to save her sister, and would sometimes even get ganged on, and even though she would scold her sister for being with such people, she continued to do it, and she would continue to defend her sister. Even though she lives in fear her sister will one day be harmed for choosing the thief path, she will always be there for her til' either of their last breaths.681355.jpg

this seems cool... mind if I join in on this or am I a bit late to join the party?

• Love
Reactions: Lunarelon_
Of course you can jojn! The more the merrier.

As for my own activity, I've been on a bit of a holiday and forgot to mention it, sorry. I'll try and post after I get back tomorrow, if not, the day after.

Ive been wondering what happened! Hope you have fun with your family and friends, Demmy!