• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

DISCUSSION college: yay or nay?

nikoru

pink-haired megane
hey there! ive got a burning question that's been on my mind lately and im super curious to hear your thoughts: should people even bother going to college these days or just skip it altogether?

i know its a bit of a loaded topic, but hear me out! on one hand, getting that degree could mean landing a solid career with great pay and opportunities. but on the other, those student loans and years of studying are one serious investment. is it really worth it in the long run?

lets dive into some of the pros and cons, shall we? on the college pro side, you get that highly-coveted diploma that could help you stand out to employers. you gain super specialized knowledge and skills in your field of study. and let's be real, those years on campus are a quintessential life experience like making lifelong friends, joining clubs, maybe even a lil partying here and there!

but then theres the con side staring you in the face with insane tuition costs, years of classes and exams, and the struggle of trying to balance work, studies, and a social life. not to mention, some folks argue you can be just as successful going an alternative career route without racking up debt.

speaking from experience, im currently hustling through my college years and let me tell you, its no walk in the park! in my country, the career prospects without a degree can be pretty limited, so im hoping this investment pays off in the long run. i had to take ask for a scholarship and work part-time as a student assistant so that my family could afford the costs! also we dont have student loans here in my country so im not really having debt since my parents pay for my tuition, however it could get very expensive especially with inflation. but its fun and i get to learn a lot especially in a highly-specialized field like psychology.

but hey, thats just my two cents! id love to hear from both team college and team no-college on this one. what's been your experience or thoughts on the whole idea of higher education? is it an absolute must or an outdated and traditional concept in today's world?

Depends on what nation state you find yourself in...

in the United failed States of America? I would certainly not.. even with the money to it

Depends on what nation state you find yourself in...

in the United failed States of America? I would certainly not.. even with the money to it
To second this, especially for white collar work and coming from a graduate who has an Associates in Applied Science for Computer Information Systems, most veterans in the IT and computer science field or tech sector in general are having to send out hundreds of applications daily, only to end up receiving like three replies and maybe an interview if they're lucky. And that's with Bachelor's degrees and ten plus years of actual workplace experience in various positions like software development or hardware engineering. As for new grads, well good luck finding work on your level of expertise, cause from my own searching companies want to give you intermediate level responsibilities you aren't ready for at entry level pay, and typically dress them up as entry level positions when they're anything but. And that's assuming a hiring manager doesn't just skip your application entirely cause they can tell you don't actually know shit and aren't worth the time or resources to train.

Just look at some of the requirements various places list. You'll see what I mean when you get hit by a laundry list of requirements for a junior helpdesk position, a position which should by all rights be teaching you so you can move on to bigger and more complex tasks later, but instead asks for years of experience using ticketing systems you've probably never even heard of, among other horseshit.

If you want to spend years getting an Associates, Bachelor's, Master's, or even a PhD and go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt then feel free (I managed to avoid the debt thanks to my dad being poor and the FAFSA picking up the slack for the majority of my tuition when the more well-off family members I live with couldn't). Ultimately no one in the professional sphere over here cares about that piece of paper beyond using it as a filter for their AI programs that sort out prospective applicants or as a means of getting your foot in the door (to an interview, that is, not necessarily an actual position). What matters is experience, and even then that can be overlooked by hiring managers in favor of those who have connections within a company (networking), or good old nepotism.

As the years go on and more positions get automated, I suspect that the college system in the United States at least will completely collapse, as will the education system past a certain point. Especially since, at this stage, there's so many ways to get info from the internet and other places besides a school once you can reliably teach yourself. One that's just going to teach you how to solve the problems you're given anyway rather than thinking outside of the box or creatively (which is what employers actually want when they aren't pulling the revolving door of low cost new hires card anyway), or god forbid land you with teachers and professors who use their classes to spout their dogshit political agenda that no one asked for nor wanted. Once companies like Boston Dynamics figure out how to replace manual labor done by humans with machines, well, we're all fucked. Blue collar work won't exist (save for technicians trained to repair or maintain the machines, until we figure out how to automate or eliminate the need for that too), and fast food companies are already automating out portions of their workforce so kiss making minimum wage as a burger flipper at McDonalds goodbye, and white collar work is dying to automation or competitiveness already.

Oh! And did I mention all the GODDAMN OUTSOURCING OF WORK COMPANIES DO TO OTHER COUNTRIES?! Because if having a million other people in your own nation competing for jobs wasn't already bad enough, now those positions are probably going to be filled remotely by someone half way around the goddamn planet for chump change!

I could go on, but I'd like to avoid a full-blown rant about how piss poor the U.S. job market is presently, let alone the economy, so I digress. To answer the question, for now that is, it depends. Do you think your degree is going to be useful for you by the time you get out, as in you'll be able to get a job and the industry you're aiming for hasn't advanced so fast that your knowledge base is outdated? Then by all means, go for the degree, as it's easier to get a job - marginally speaking - with one than without one, as numerous statistical studies have shown. If not, though, it's probably not worth the time, money, or effort, and you're probably better off getting into a minimum wage position near you that you can then hopefully work your way up from. Or do freelancing. Or complete an apprenticeship and become something like a Master Electrician (since we have a shortage of those in the U.S.). Or do literally anything else that gets you a headstart when it comes to working and/or surviving.

And remember, that with all things we as a species do, it'll only get worse before it gets better.

Last edited:
i have an a.s. in graphic design/digital media technology and god do i regret it. my student loans are minimal thanks to scholarships, but still a fair amount since i had to stop working my last two semesters. haven't gotten a single interview so far.

completely wish i had stuck with my gut and went to trade school instead, but alas, i went with what i thought would make me happier and 🤣 MISTAKES WERE MADE

College is an extremely complex issue, now more than ever. In addition to asking if college is right for you, it is wise to ask if the career is right for you. With the rising cost of college, it is becoming less possible to just go back to school if you regret your choices. It is also important to note your career choice may require lifestyle and appearance changes.

I deeply regret going to college, myself. Yes, I have a very "marketable" degree, but any jobs I found involved an hours-long commute (yes, hours plural) or required a higher degree, additional certifications, and 1-5 years of experience... for an entry-level job.

Nowadays, the subject of your beliefs often gets overlooked when discussing what career is right for you. While I won't get into any religious or political discussions, I will say that it can be extremely taxing to your mental health if you fundamentally disagree with the core elements of your line of work.

All in all, remember to think carefully, do extensive research, and ask yourself if the good outweighs the bad when considering your degree path and the subsequent career you could build.

Sadly college these days is nothing but a social club for rich people and/or a way to profit off the poor and put them in masses of debt so they can't climb the wealth class system. >:[ Being able to get the job you want after college is SO HARD that most people end up never getting into the career the went to school for and land in blue collar jobs just to pay those insane debts. Especially here in the US where they try to force going college down your throat.

I'm def going to encourage my kiddos to do a trade school instead of college, unless they end up really passionate about a career that requires a college degree. D: If you're passionate about something and have the ambition to strive for it - DO IT. Even with the debt and it being hard to get into the career, your love for it will make it worth it. Otherwise it's an absolute waste of time and money.

Depends. Depends on a lot of things. Speaking as someone currently in college, AND someone who went to college before and dropped out with a lot of money to pay and nothing to show for it, I feel based on my own experience I could answer this with what exactly brought me back.

I'd say don't go to college unless you first have these two things:

1. A requirement for it
2. A means of paying

What brought me back to college was a shift in my life goals that necessitated the need to have a college degree to do what I wanted to do, otherwise I never would have gone back. My first time through, my parents had me believe it was simply a requirement, like public school, but that is definitely not the case. I didn't have the motivation to get the degree like I do now. It made a massive difference for me.

Also worth noting... There is a near 10 year gap between my first try at college straight out of high school that I failed miserably at, and now, as a self-sufficient adult with a full time job, going back on my own accord. I'm getting better grades than ever because now I really actually WANT to go.

As for point 2, I'm just lucky. My work place is paying for my education, and I'm only taking 2 classes a semester to keep within what they are willing to pay. I know most people would not have such a opportunity, and I guarantee you I sure as hell wouldn't bother going through college if it wasn't on someone else's dime.

If you're totally dedicated in mind and soul to your dream, and that dream needs a college degree, AND you know how you'll pay for it: Go for it. If you're missing either of those, save yourself the pain and go straight into work and you can plan from a place of safety. Hell, you could even do something very slow-burn and only take a single class a semester or something. Do not risk your financial future for something you have doubts over.

I am joining the team depends and add in; most (college) degrees are glorified trade schools in disguise. There are few fields where having a degree actually matters, but even that doesn't guarantee a healthy dose of respect towards the field that usually does come from years of grinding and gaining experience.

If the main goal is to earn money I'd say you're better off working from the getgo, don't have them convince you to invest into something with money you don't (actually) have. That pay out won't work out. If the goal is to grow professionally I am of the believe there is no price tag you can tag onto your own growth. Just make sure that the means to pay are there.

Back