1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Hi. I’m melting today in a sweltering 33°C which is also known as 91°F (I took the trouble to look that up for the Americans). At the moment I’m sitting on the floor with my laptop to cool down, but still be able to be productive and all I wonder is...

How do others cope in the heat?

Tell me, for I know that there are places that laugh at the temperatures I’m complaining about. Share me your secrets.

Also, are there any special measurments taken where you’re at? We have given off a weather alarm and my office handed out ice cream and water bottles for all who wanted (everyone) to help them cope.

Reactions: Dipper
Laughs in 37°C

You merely adopted the heat. I was born in it.

Nobody here takes special measures for the heat. If you've lived in my city long enough, you would know by now that winters are ridiculously cold and summers are ridiculously hot. I can't even remember the last time we got a summer heatwave warning lol. We just wait for the heat to come here and kill us. Water is for the weak.

But if you're one of those European commies not used to all this heat, I've got a few tips:
  1. Invest in a good insulated water bottle and keep it on you whenever you go out. Nobody likes hot water, and you'll appreciate it when you're melting outside.
  2. I pity the fool who does not wear a sunhat/cap. Get one, ya dork.
  3. I know this sounds stupid, but the less skin out, the better. All that direct sunlight on your skin will kill you. Flowy, breathable clothes--like cotton material--are your friend. (Ladies, sundresses will treat you good).
  4. Black clothes attract heat, so just an fyi for my fellow emos
  5. JEANS WILL STICK TO YOU. BEWARE.
  6. Yo thighs keep sticking together because of all this stupid heat? I got you. A little deodorant on the skin does a lot. Keep rocking those booty shorts.
  7. Continuously drink water throughout the day, even when you don't feel thirsty. Because when you do feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated by then.
Stay hydrated, y'all.

I've lived in some ridiculously hot and humid places before. The WORST is when you're in a car with leather seats and you sit on them for awhile, but when you have to leave... the seats are so stuck to your skin that you feel like they're literally ripping the flesh off your thighs and it's just --

large.png

I don't have an AC, so when things do get strangely warm I just sort of camp out infront of my fan...

Haha, I probably could do a lot more to help the situation, but for the time being I'll just cry, sit in the shadow/AC, and hope I don't die. Seems to work so far.

t if you're one of those European commies not used to all this heat, I've got a few tips:
  1. Invest in a good insulated water bottle and keep it on you whenever you go out. Nobody likes hot water, and you'll appreciate it when you're melting outside.
  2. I pity the fool who does not wear a sunhat/cap. Get one, ya dork.
  3. I know this sounds stupid, but the less skin out, the better. All that direct sunlight on your skin will kill you. Flowy, breathable clothes--like cotton material--are your friend. (Ladies, sundresses will treat you good).
  4. Black clothes attract heat, so just an fyi for my fellow emos
  5. JEANS WILL STICK TO YOU. BEWARE.
  6. Yo thighs keep sticking together because of all this stupid heat? I got you. A little deodorant on the skin does a lot. Keep rocking those booty shorts.
  7. Continuously drink water throughout the day, even when you don't feel thirsty. Because when you do feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated by then.
10/10

Especially the bold, helped me a lot when I was living in South Asia. For number 6, I'd recommend powder as well if you'd rather not deoderant. Also check if you can get something like Prickly Heat Powder, it helped me a lot.

When you're home, I really recommend curtains that keep the sun out. When I was younger, my mom would put aluminium foil over the glass windows, the shiny parts towards the outside, so that it would deflect the heat, keeping it relatively cool.

If you have a basement, stay there when you can! As a kid during the summers, I'd even sleep down there.

We have one of the hottest summers on record so far this year and we don't have any AC at all, just fans. I have to say it's not been fun being sick AND melting. However...the HVAC system is being installed this week (PRAISE THE LORD!!) soo...as is usually the case, the rest of the summer will be mild and bearable.

Haha, I probably could do a lot more to help the situation, but for the time being I'll just cry, sit in the shadow/AC, and hope I don't die. Seems to work so far.

Same. Going into a heat coma also works to cool the ol' body down.

DON'T FORGET TO STRIP NAKED, GUYS. IT'S THE ONLY SURE WAY TO KEEP COOL.

:cookie:

I bought a sundress at a street market stall the other day while my brain was scrambled eggs from the heat.
Managed to get a farmer's tan on my legs? Questionable success here.
Lots of water, though, so much water. And counting down until we normally get our first snowfall.

That heat is training for when you visit. Leljk

Here mini portable rechargable fans are quite popular, specially among the commuters (cause our trains are notorious for having broken ac). :’D

• Sympathy & Compassion
  • Haha
Reactions: Kitti and Nemopedia
I have to ask: has anyone ever used one of those little fan + spray bottle things? They sold them at baseball games.

I pay for air conditioning instead of groceries, that is how much heat is murder. >:[ Fuck the summer. Fuck the sun. Give me the ice cold darkness.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Nemopedia and Kitti
I have to ask: has anyone ever used one of those little fan + spray bottle things? They sold them at baseball games.

I've never used one, but they seem like a costy combination for what just a spray bottle does nicely.

Like, the point is that the water evaporates, leaving you colder (as I explained in the Useless Facts thread, not so useless now, eh?), but fanning it just makes it colder again, leaving you mildly colder and wet. I mean, if my internal physics simulation is correct.

There's been a lot of good tips already. Not really much to add besides don't forget to wear sunglasses outside. If your skin is irritated by the sun, your eyes definitely are. Protect thine eyes, you only get two. lol

We've been under heat advisory for most of the summer. ._. For awhile 100°F was not uncommon. It's evened off somewhat since, thank gawds.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
i just try not to die (or get sick and pass out) .... ummm lots of water, or lately a lot of really cold vitaminwater zero, i personally like the lemon and strawberry lemon ones the most. All the ceiling fans in the house stay on plus our central AC ... if it gets really bad we turn on the not-central air. And we fill up the blow up soaking pool and just sit in it XP

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
It's going to be 95 or higher all week! This summer has been brutal, but this August has seen a lot of rain, so things are finally cooling down slightly! I have an electric bill of $98.00 this month, which really isn't bad. My last apartment was usually $139 or higher! So I think it's more efficient here, plus not being home and staying at work that extra hour is helping a lot... and staying at boyfriend's has been a major help too. Plus spending time with his cat, Sensei, is a lot of fun! Also, I've been swimming in the pool all month. Yay September's almost here.... :D Can't wait for fall.