Creature City 3.0

"To be fair...it's more of an outline of a plan. We wanted to see how many people we could get interested and whether it was feasible before putting it into motion." Saiki smiled. "It's good to hear you'd be willing to help though. We need people who wanna make a change."

Sazae blushed, embarrassed at how enthusiastic she was at joining a cause that wasn't even solidified yet. She looked away, lips pressed together in a thin red line.
"Good luck, with all that." She smiled, albeit awkwardly. Luckily she didn't have to press further for conversation, as Tachi rounded a corner.
"Yo! Saz! Did you see that guy get full on totaled in the square?" Tachi shouted, approaching her with a fist full of credits in one hand. His small frame came to a stop behind her, impulsively waving at her back mouth.
Sazae turned to him, a frown on her face. "I was in the middle of it all. Standing next to him."
Tachi's eyes widened.
"Holy fuck. Woah. How'd it happen?" Sazae glanced at Saiki for a moment, saying nothing. Facing the resulting silence head on, Tachi did what he typically did, and filled it in.
"Guessing you saw that Bridge Brigade jerk kick up a fuss about it, huh? Honestly, I say, if you can't handle the prospect of some stranger getting murdered every year in some unfortunate accident, then you shouldn't even show up, yknow? But the military wanna get into everything these days. Protection my ass. I'd rather risk it with the gangs. I mean, some of the Volkof girls are good friends o' mine-" Sazae propped her head up with a pale arm, letting the words wash over her.

At some stage when he was younger, Chance had worried over the stack of comic books in Abner's room. Why he'd never graduated to boy's adventure books, or the thicker reading material stored in her bookshelf. She'd thought it was his eyesight at first, (he was always in front of that damn tv from morning to noon after all) and wondered if he preferred comics over books because the print was usually larger in them. She decided once she could afford to take him to an optometrist, she'd get his eyes looked at. Two years later, after being held back two grades in middle school, the fresh concerns about her son came bubbling to the surface again. Maybe this time she'd take him to a doctor or something, see if he had some sort of learning difficulty. The case was dropped once and for all when Chance married Hans and seemed to forget about everything but her husband for a while.

Abner, unofficially voted and generally assumed middle school dunce, was going on twenty four now. An adult. Nearly goddamn Illiterate. He'd struggled with the whole reading thing as a kid, sure, and after disappearing off the educational radar once and for all at age ten, it hadn't gotten any better. Maybe a little worse. He kept it to himself mostly, never told anyone if he could help it. Because it was fucking embarrassing.
-
He was fifteen. Sitting at the family table, picking at some undercooked chicken on his plate. Chance always made a great, motherly effort (in her own sweet disordered way) with dinner and everything, but he was pretty convinced now, that she'd accidentally, one day, get round to giving him and Minerva food poisoning or something. It was just a matter of time.
"Hey, is your chicken like... A little pink on the inside?" Minerva whispered to him, and he nodded, miming himself dropping dead out of Chance's line of sight so he didn't hurt her feelings.

Charlie, positioned across from the two, was the only one apart from Chance who hadn't noticed the poor state of the meat. He was too busy laughing over some news article, holding it out at arms length seriously as if to scrutinize it, and then cracking up again. High, hysterical laughter. He wiped away a tear from a fourth eye.
"Oh shit. Holy shit. You've got to look at this." He handed the paper out to Abner.

Abner, surprised at this uncharacteristically friendly action from his older brother, blinked. Whatever they'd written must've been something good, if it made Charlie laugh. Not much did. Sometimes the dirty jokes Vince told did it, but even that was rare. He reached for the paper, happy to be involved in whatever Charlie was showing him. Then hesitated. It wouldn't be the cartoons that had tickled Charlie's funny bone. Not the sunday chuckles. No, it would be some kind of long political tirade or opinion piece that catered to his sense of humor. Those didn't come with any pictures.

Tactfully pressing the paper back into Charlie's hand, Abner decided to play it cool.
"What's it say?" He showed a smile, hoping he struck Charlie as casual. Minerva glanced nervously towards him. She'd mostly been around the house when he'd had that trouble with his grades at school, ("Mrs Frigewalt... You're son is practically illiterate") had heard about it from Chance, too, but Charlie was away at college during that time. He'd missed out a lot of Abner's life from an older brother standpoint, and a good thing too, because Charlie would've probably made his life worse had he been around much.

"You've gotta see this shit for yourself. There's so much in there. Can you fucking imagine-"

"Language!" Chance called as she passed by to collect his plate, finally realizing in silence the mishap she'd made with the chicken. She cursed herself, too wrapped up in yet another failure of hers when it came to dinner to observe just what Charlie was asking of Abner. Burnt steak on Tuesday, she'd boiled the hell out of the vegetables until they'd just about fallen apart, and now undercooked the chicken. Typhoid Mary? How about Samonella Sally. Without a word, she went and grabbed Minerva and Abner's plates, biting her lip.

Charlie apologized, raising his hands and making a silent promise to the swear jar, still in good cheer and hardly noticing how Abner cringed away from the paper.
Eventually, Abner took it, and pretended to read, dragging his eyes slowly across the pages. Row after row. Three paragraphs. He let out the appropriate chuckle once in a while, and Charlie laughed along with him.

Minerva looked at the space her plate at been before Chance had taken it away.

---

Him and Vince, arm in arm, unusual comrades, running around a store.

"Ab. Hello? Can you find the Fragbone?"
"Yeah, I'm uh, looking for it." Abner said. Vince wasn't even in the same isle yet, he was just yelling over the shelves. He wondered, half panicking, what the label had on it. Oh man. It was usually Vince that got whatever they needed. He recognized a large F on a bottle, but the label was a different color to how he remembered it last time. Fuck, fuck, shit shit.

"Bo likes that stuff. I figured it's just something to get-" Vince shrugged, coming over to where Abner stood. There was a pause.

"It's right in front of you! What? Are you blind?" Vince dramatically counted out how many bottles were in front of Abner, before grabbing the neck of one, shoving Abner aside. He let out an incredulous laugh.

"Can see just fine. I was- zoned out." He murmured something about the liminal atmosphere of stores at night. Vince accepted the excuse, turning towards some rum.

"You ever tried this?" He held out another bottle with his free hand. Abner took it from him, holding it unusually close to his face. He squinted. Vince observed this action with a level of mystification, watching Abner murmur out the letters quietly to himself. Sounding it out in his head. An old ritual.

Vince yipped, realizing how absurd the gesture struck him. "You. Are an enigma, my friend."

Last edited by a moderator:
"Didya enjoy your meal?"
"Yes." The taste of fresh soul was quite lovely. "He was scared."
"I'd imagine anyone would be when faced with a woman like her. She's terrifying." Liavetta took another bite of her churro, offering a piece to Connor, who shook his head. She simply shrugged and popped it in her mouth. "Still. The Bridge Brigade lot aren't nice."
Connor's long skull swivelled to look at her, the inky black eyesockets boring into her soul.
"No, not yet." She waved a piece of churro in the direction of two yokai talking- one looked like a cat, if said cat walked on their back legs and had hair like a human. Connor likened it to a film Liavetta liked to watch. 'The Cat Returns' or something like that. The yokai looked like she'd come straight out of the film. He also recognised her from the scene a little earlier; she'd been defending the killer lady.
"Kitten's planning something that could be fun."
Connor was pretty sure the yokai wouldn't appreciate being called 'kitten'.
"What is the plan, then, little Li?"
Liavetta gave an innocent smile. "I want more churros~"
With a deep, deep sigh, the void beast (supposedly immense in his power, he thought bitterly) relented to the tiny little nymph and slunk off to get the girl more churros.

As the night drew in, the parade congregated in the central square of the city's sleaziest district. Hordes of creatures watched vivacious dancers move on their floats with wide eyes, breaking every now and then into rapturous applause. String lights were wrapped around neglected trees and flickering street-lamps, and the thumping of exhilarating music could be felt in the chests of those a block away. Above it all, like a god presiding over his people or a prisoner in a top-floor cell, the Red Chief looked out at the pulsing crowds. He was curled on Dawn's window-seat with his elbows on the sill, staring out from her bedroom window with watery blue eyes that almost seemed dead. To a passer-by, he was unrecognisable. His hair, uncut, now hung limply to his jaw; its loose crimson curls made it look as though it was permanently soaked in blood. His grey skin clung to his bones so that when he ground his jaw, the outline of his rows of fangs was visible just beneath it. In one hand he held a joint lazily and the septum of his Roman nose appeared fragile after months of relentless drug use. At first, the Wendigo trait of an impossibly high tolerance was a blessing, but now it felt like a curse - nothing could get him high enough.
"We've got eyes on the ground, Chief," said Dawn huskily, materialising from the haze of the flat by his side. She placed a tentative claw on his shoulder and felt the uncomfortable bone slicing into her palm beneath the silk of the dressing gown he hadn't changed out of for weeks. She looked down at his bloody red head. She used to fear him, once upon a time, but now she only pitied him. The man was utterly broken, and hideously in debt. Having garnered no response from him, Dawn slid a plate of raw meat beneath his nose and dragged her thumb lazily across his shoulder.
"Eat, Chief," she urged him softly, pinching a cigarette between her claws and lifting a lighter from the window-sill. "You look tired."
He nodded and listlessly lifted a fork. His eyes never left the crowd, as if he was searching for someone within it.

Volkof's compound was suffering under the strain of war. The girls were restless. They paced the halls, hands in their pockets, picking petty fights with others.

"Where is she anyway? Hmm? Too afraid to show her face?" Came the whisper from Annabelle. She was of the surest belief that Volkof was still in hiding, somewhere nearby and remote.

"I heard she's declared bankruptcy and spirited away with the Oracles and that lizard." Said another girl. Volkof was a steady leader whilst it lasted, but not exactly the fearless one she'd been branded as. Hell, she'd have done what Volkof had done too. It was suicide to stick around to captain a sinking ship. This was smart. Cut your losses and run off so you can keep the things you still have, the last of your true, loyal supporters in tow.

"Did anyone know Rook?"

"Yeah. Sure. I did." A grinning gargoyle said, leaning against a pillar, skulking amongst the gathered girls.
"She pushed me into a burning barn one night. Flat out." She raised a hand, poised in the air as if to pluck a word down from the heavens. "Maniac." She decided on finally.

"Will they ever come back, do you think?" Asked an anxious maid, still reserved to cleaning the halls and wondering when the hell she'd get paid for it. Still hanging on to some hope.

"Who's to say? If she's gone, she's gone. I don't know what I'm doing here anymore." Said a gruff-voiced member of Volkof's higher circle. She'd been cynical for days, hurt at being left behind. Nobody had been kind enough to pull her aside and ask if she'd like to come along and ditch the rest too. Now everything said about Volkof felt like a vindication.

"Let's raid the kitchen. Get the girls together. Volkof's not around anymore. Fuck it, right?" Someone suggested. It was a widespread knowledge that the cupboard contained some extra rations most had been too cautious to take, tobacco and chocolate, tinned peaches. All prohibited to everyone but Volkof and her higher acquaintances. Reserved solely for them to relish. Until now. This statement struck the crowd of displaced girls as genius. There was a resounding murmur of agreement.

Volkof was running away. The Henge and Rook in the back, the halfway amused Professor by her side. She steered at the wheel, with the keen knowledge she was losing. Losing very sorely in the monopoly game of turf war and crime. Eyes on the road. She kept her thoughts on the journey ahead, on the prospect of forcing the future out of the uncooperative Oracles someday. She had never been so uncertain before at her prospects. Especially after the aborted delivery to Chief's quarters. So the Red Chief wasn't so trustworthy after all.

His men had made a disorganized attempt to rob Rook at gunpoint at the delivery point with the Henge. Perhaps the Chief hadn't authorized this- she wouldn't put the distrust worthy type the Chief hired past a mutiny- perhaps he had. Either way, she wasn't going to be cheated out of a deal. Burning rage flitted under her red eyelids and turned over the twitch in her mouth. The city rushed by in a grey blur
outside the windows.

Rook had done the competent thing, for once, and had stepped out of the vehicle, parked temporarily at a gateway whilst the men pointed their guns at her. She then set the Henge free, shouting harsh commands at them as if to herd them towards her robbers. She raised her hands, complying, as if she'd anticipated this to be the deal. One of the words she'd barked to the Henge was "formulate", a meaningless word to the men. Yes, Volkof had been paranoid enough to take her precautions. A list of words and orders had been handed to her before the dropoff. The Henge, glittering and vicious, had advanced on the men. To Rook they appeared to simply fan at their faces with their intricate cloaks and frills, make humming and cooing noises, but the men had began to scream. They fired their guns, but at nothing. Some of them grew too afraid to fire, for fear of hurting the nonexistent family they were seeing as mirages before their eyes. The Henge were interesting like that. Unprecedented, unpredictable. When it was done, and the men, new to the world of the Henge, were left cringing wrecks. She had packed the Henge up with the promise of food and shelter, and left to report back to Volkof on further instructions.

Rook knew what it was like to have her reality distorted by the tricky creatures, so in some way, she found herself sympathizing for the men who'd wanted to claim what was the Chief's to own. Or do the Chief's bidding. They didn't know what they were getting into. Only that the Henge were expensive and rare things indeed to own. She sat like a petulant child in the backseat. Volkof was silent, had been silent for a long time, and she could almost feel the hot waves of anger radiating off her. She knew just well how much the leader hated leaving the girls to their own devices on the compound, even on routine trips.

There were many things Saiki had expected to see at this parade. Food, strange yokai performances, weirdly normal people. But this dude currently talking Sazae's ear off was...new? And currently rambling about how he also disliked the Brigade. In him, she spotted a potential ally- but also someone that couldn't be trusted with secrets. Like a messenger, perhaps, or someone who could run diversions. Or maybe someone who could do the fighting, if it ever came to that...though she doubted it would. Perhaps a public speaker? Someone who could rile the crowds into action?
"Is this a common feeling?" she interrupted. "This...animosity towards the Brigade?"

Lia stood eating her churros. She didn't know how Connor got them so fast and she didn't care. Connor was currently stretched across the pavement - she was pointedly ignoring the grumblings as people stepped over him - listening in on that conversation whilst letting her know what was going on. So she was technically eavesdropping, but she wasn't anywhere near them so unless they knew how to spot a void demon (she doubted they were looking at the shadows too much) then she'd be okay.
She liked what she was hearing so far, though. These people could be useful.

"Oh sure," Tachi said suddenly, cutting himself off to speak to the yokai to the side of him casually. "Just about everyone I know has an axe to grind with the Brigade." He shrugged, a fact plain as day. "Ever since they rolled into town they've been nothing but trouble for my line of business." The ferret creature clicked his tongue, shaking his crimson head. "Nothin' but trouble."

Sazae nodded, only catching a few of Tachi's words over the din of the last dregs of parade but agreeing nevertheless.

Saiki's eyes lit up. "So it isn't just us?! I thought me and my troupe were the only ones who truly hated them so much. I kind of wish we could do something about them."

Lia blinked slowly, listening to Connor's approving rumbles in her ear along with their words. So most of them hated the Brigade? That might make things easier in terms of converting them to rebellion.

The ferret demon looked to Sazae for a brief moment.
"Hell, I'm about as enthusiastic as a game show host for a rebellion. Might do some good. Might not, though, considering that new commander that's in town. Mean fuckers."

Megumi and Kotori had cleared out of the bar together, exchanging glances when the commander had announced they could grab a taxi themselves, thank-you-very-much. All that self-sufficient pompousness came out when Demine drank, but that only made Kotori and Megumi's job's easier. Sure, they worried about her, but at the end of the day it had nothing to do with them whether the commander conducted herself in a safe manor outside of their presence.

The commander, exiting the bar. Walking down the cobblestones, amber eyes shimmering over puddles of water and smashed glass. On her own, with nothing but her tincourt and her drunken smarts. The scenery and general air reminded her of a long-ago trip to the dangerous parts of Strigoid, where the locals' hospitality was a mixture of violence and hostility. She had been alone then too.
There came a low shuffling from behind her. She whirled, hand under her jacket to grip at the cold smooth metal of her tincourt. Something cloaked in shadows and horribly crouched, hopped towards her on elongated back legs.
"Oh, piss off. I've got nothing for you." Demine said immediately upon recognition. The threat had been nothing but a mangy city animal roaming after dark. The inquisitive Corpik cocked its head, tongue lolling out of its mouth and landing on the ground, squirming spasmodically like a pink worm. She saw it was not alone. It was with a friend, a few yards away, crawling into some sewer grate so only its dark blue tail showed.The animal hopped forwards, stopping in front of her and blinking. She reeled in disgust. Only in this scum-of-the-earth city would they let these vermin get so friendly, she thought. Without thinking she revealed her tincourt and fired an electric blue bolt of magic at the Corpik. It ran, howling, alerting nearby Corpiks to the danger. Pattering feet and claws sounded behind her as they scattered.

Cecilia was totally in awe of the thumping crowd around her, turning her head this way and that to gaze at various dancers and performers, pausing every so often to slurp the milkshake Arrow had bought for her at a nearby stall - the first milkshake she'd ever tasted. She seemed oblivious to the fact that she stood out like a sore thumb in her pastel-blue summer dress where everyone else wore far more casual attire. Arrow stood close by her side and watched passers-by gawking at her.
//
Dusk's grey sweats were far more low-slung now that the night was dark, and his lime eyes met with countless men who looked him hungrily up and down; he would only nod marginally, lips semi-parted, and those brave enough to go through with it would lead him into some dingy nearby alleyway. Thick wads of cash were stuffed in his boxers from this underhand trade, and he loved the scratch of the notes against his hips. Tonight he was bathing in money. When he was free to wander, he made sure to keep a close eye on the Phoenix boy and his Wendigo friend; as long as Jack had money to funnel into this ridiculous surveillance project he seemed so hell-bent on continuing, Dusk was going to obey. It was easy to keep tabs on the Phoenix, especially now he sidled about with a Wendigo, whose enormous rose-adorned antlers could be spotted from a mile off.

Last edited:
Saiki laughed.
"So we toss her out, too, right? If she won't give us the rights we deserve- she's the head of this little mess so why not? We just gotta play our cards right and it'll be great."

Liavetta watched them talk. The girl was headstrong, but she had spirit, and that was something that could be useful. Provided one of them could come up with a plan, this may be a cause she'd pledge herself to.
Connor snapped back into a materialistic form next to her, panting. Shadows coiled down his body like sweat as he turned to her, and from the eyesockets of the skull he wore Liavetta could see his glare. She merely giggled. "Sorry Connie~ thank you for helping~"
Her hand reached up and petted behind one of the horns of his skull, in a spot he liked. The boy practically melted against her tiny frame. Knowing she was immediately forgiven, she made a show of petting him while listening to the others.

"Problem is, we need people to help us come up with a logical plan. Which we don't have."

Tachi leaned in close, eager to catch the tail end of a line of dialogue that had interested him. Sazae payed no attention, head propped up by a slender wrist. She made to ask Tachi when they'd be going home, considering the night had been nothing but distressing, but Tachi only made a silent gesture that meant she was to hold on.
"Hey, I don't mean to stick my nose in business I ain't meant to stick it in, but if you want to deal in somethings' a little shady, I know a couple guys that could help you out."
Sazae rolled her eyes.