Dragon Age: The Sixth Blight

[fieldbox=Letif Connors, crimson, solid, 10, bookman old style]
After speaking with the Warden, it didn't seem like he had much to say personally to Letif, so the elf simply let the man do as he pleased to help the refugees. Everyone thus far had been kind enough to warn Letif about the bile and Taint, telling him to take care not to let it get anywhere near any open wounds or anything like that as it was far worse than any other diaease and couldn't be cured by normal means. Nevertheless he would still go about his duty and give last rites to those who had falled to the horrible creatures blades or blood.

After he had left Arrahel's side, soon some of the other group members started to approach the Warden, as he commanded some of the elves to go places and do things. Soon enough though the same man decided to address the whole area as he spoke up and started to get a grasp on the situation at hand, he would also call those willing to join the Grey Wardens in order to help him fight. Some seemed willing while others disliked the idea, Letif being part of the latter. When he would return from helping the people he would give his answer to the warden plainly. "As much as I respect your order, I believe I am on the path the Maker has choosen for me. I am more than willing to help you in your cause, But would prefer to do so in my own way." he would say before turning to the large Qunari man standing nearby, if Arrahel had nothing further to say to him.

Taking a few steps closer, Letif would try and size up the larger man before speaking to him with a polite tone, "You were impressive back there on the battlefield, do you have experience fighting the darkspawn as well?" he would ask the man a simple question for now to try and start a conversation while they waited for what was to come next, Letif had never had much of a chance to interact with a Qunari before so he was unsure how Karasten might react or not react. @Shizuochan
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Septimus Avernus, green]"Haha, yeah, pretty dumb call on my part. It felt like a good idea, the closer I am to the enemy the stronger my powers. Besides, our Warden's a Mage as well, despite the fact he has a blade and armour." Seeing the healing light return his bruised muscles to proper form was oddly relaxing. Even the meanest folks knew how to appreciate a healer. What Septimus found interesting was how much faith in the Maker this one had. He didn't expect it from the Circle Mages down south. Sure more recently the situation has been looking up for them, however considering a second Mage-Templar war broke out Septimus didn't expect to be so lucky as to meet a fellow faithful mage right away. Sure the Imperial Chantry was different and the Mages of the Imperium were cut from a different cloth from their brethren outside of the borders.

"Not a lot is known about our Grey Wardens, the name suits them, their motto speaks to the weight of their duty, but there are patterns to be found. Most disappear or die off no more than a couple dozen years after they join the order. For an order that saved the world from numerous Blights, they are surprisingly secretive. I'm sure our own Warden-Commander here has some idea why they started disappearing but to us, it seems incredibly strange. If I had to guess I would say that either the Blight got smart enough to take them out before making its presence known or there are other forces at work here." It was a bit of a guesswork and a completely wild at that. Nothing substantial and nothing that needed to be addressed now that they actually found a Warden. "My knowledge of them is quite limited and based on myths and legends rather than clear facts. However, if you ever have trouble with demons within the Fade, find me. I know more about them than the circles will ever be willing to teach. Outside of the Fade... Well, I just hope it's not you that brought them." There was seriousness there often present in the eyes of templars rather than mages and then in the next moment, it faded away.

With a smile and a chuckle, Sep raised his hands in the air in a shrug. "Don't worry I won't tell anyone, frankly... The first time I saw a demon I had a similar situation. Had to change my underwear after the Harrowing. No joke, the Templar there was snickering the whole time after I got up, didn't know why until after I got home." He smiled having only the faintest of blush on his embarrassed smile. "Nowadays I have no problem with them. I figure you are the same. No need to keep recalling that except in jest." He chuckled lightheartedly again. "But I digress," He got up from his seat. "Septimus Maerie of House Avernus, at your service." He bowed extravagantly and added a bit of a hand flair. "I was serious about demons, I spent a long time chasing them around the Imperium with our Templars. Picked up a handful of tricks to deal with them." He added with a smile. "Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go and introduce myself to the Grey Warden and make sure I get to join as well." Dusting off his cloak he walked on towards the small group where the Warden had his inspiring speech.

"Warden! Or I presume Warden-Commander since you are the only one in Ferelden or wider. I wish to join the order." With another extravagant bow, fitting of his heritage, Septimus offered the same kind of introduction as he gave to Miri just a moment ago. "I've read of the Order and your their exploits throughout history, it would be an honour if you would consider allowing me to join your ranks." [/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=SAAL & GWINNIS, #f7ece4, solid, 8, Karma][bg=black]Saal supposed he ought to have anticipated some manner of speech.

Heroic types were rather given to speech-making, after all.

Crossing his arms and nodding along to Warden-Commander Arrahel's words, Saal let silence fall and the first few noble souls step up to volunteer before turning his head to look at Gwinnis.
"So how'd you rank the speech then, madam dwarf?" he asked, grinning sideways at her, "You feeling suitably inspired and fired up to go save the world?"

Throughout the warden's speech, Gwinnis had been content to quietly observe while continuing her methodical cleaning of boots and blade. As she was not well enough acquainted with any of the party to have so much as guessed at their motivations, their responses couldn't surprise her. However, she ferreted away the tidbits of information that they freely offered in case one might come in useful later.

Gwinnis snapped to attention when she realised that one of the elves was addressing her. Saal, the fun one so far. She grinned and made a sweeping gesture in the direction of Miri and Karasten.
"Grand but not enough, it seems. Looks like half points so far. Lucky for him, I'm not seeing any better offers coming along to bid against him. Sounds like there's promises of getting my hands dirty, though. And I've heard said that the wardens are safe from the taint. Mighty handy sounding. And you, are you feeling sufficiently stirred?"

Saal chuckled, raising an eyebrow.
"What, you don't think the darkspawn are gonna jump up and start making a counter offer? It's important to shop around when selecting a client, Gwinnis, gotta know what you're worth." Looking down at some of the corpses littering the field, Saal jabbed at a fallen hurlock with his foot. "C'mon, name a price you ugly bastard. The warden hasn't, yet." A silent moment followed from Gwinnis wherein she stared intently at the corpse. She then glanced back up at Saal and shrugged with affected exasperation.

"Surfacers just don't know how to haggle. Starting to look like the only offer is the grand adventure here." She rubbed her chin thoughtfully, glancing around at the others. "But if I join the noble quest, do you reckon that I have to start acting noble?" Saal grinned even wider at this.
"Fuck me, I hope not. That means I'll have to as well." Turning his attention back to Arrahel, Saal began to size the warden- commander up again. "Right then. It's an interesting pitch you're offering, mate. Action, adventure, saving the world, wholesale darkspawn slaughter, all that good stuff. But let's get down to the details. You fight pretty damn good, I'll grant you, and you can belt a rousing enough speech. But I'm not about to sign on with a commander I don't know the rep of, not without seeing how he leads first."

He glanced over at Gwinnis. "Besides, aren't we supposed to be getting this warden back to Denerim? We gotta finish the job before we sign on to a new one."

Smothering a laugh as best she could, Gwinnis looked between Saal and Arrahel with as straight an expression as she could muster.
"While I'm a woman of my word, I don't fancy figuring out how to deliver a warden somewhere he doesn't feel like going so I've hopes that Denerim is on the list. I'll admit I'm half sold on the idea of wandering the land killing as many darkspawn as I can get near enough my axe but I'm not too clear what you're expecting me to volunteer for? Maybe you've guessed but I don't know the Circle from a hole in the ground and the last chantry I came across got destroyed, through no fault of mine might I add."

Saal blinked, crunching his angular face up in confusion.
"What, they don't have mages where you're from? Fuck me, that sounds like a simpler life." Chuckling to himself, as if thoroughly bemused by the idea, he finally looked back to the Warden-Commander. "Anyhow mate, there you have it. Seems we're with you for the darkspawn slaying, at least as far as Denerim. From there?" He tilts his head and smiles. "Guess we'll see. You still haven't told us what joining your Order pays, and all."
[/bg][/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Arrahel the White, grey, solid, 8, book antiqua]The Warden-Commander gave the Qunari a polite smile, bowing his head a moment before using a greeting from the Qunlat tongue to help him feel welcome. "Shanedan, Karasten. I understand. As I understand the current Arishok served with the Hero of Ferelden in the last Blight, perhaps it is fate you should come here to fight with us. Your blade will be a most welcome one in the fight to come."

Arrahel then turned to the templar, giving a curt nod as he spoke up. "I imagine it is how it is. Regardless, Knight-Corporal, I am happy to have your aid. Each blade put against the Blight is one step closer to Thedas' salvation."

He then looked to the Tevinter and the Orlesian, giving a brief nod of his head as he spoke curtly. "A pleasure to have you join in the fray, Septimus. The same goes for you, too, Orlesian, although I'm afraid I don't yet know your name. As for you two..."

The Warden-Commander then focused on the dwarf and the elven mercenary, speaking bluntly. "Given how you speak, I imagine it is more than fair to assume you were sent by Queen Alexandria, then? This is good news- I was planning go to Denerim to affirm Ferelden's aid in the battle against the Blight. As for what a Grey Warden of Ferelden's pay is, the base is bed and board at our Ferelden heaquarters- Vigil's Keep in Amaranthine. There is also variable payment depending on the missions you complete and the duties you have in peacetime, each Warden according to their rank their experience.For you, Saal, I believe you'll be happy to know the Grey Wardens usually receive free alcohol and as much of it as you can drink. Many Wardens even learn to make their own, if you prefer. But what we do in peace is far different than what we do in this moment. In times of Blight and times of war the reward is honor and glory.

"As a Warden, what you volunteer for is to be a defender of the people against the darkspawn and a bulwark against those who would do great evil in the world. Our duty is to unite Thedas against this threat before all is lost, discover what has become of the other Grey Wardens, and kill the Archdemon even if it means decapitating every darkspawn from here to Tevinter in order to get to it.

"But, now, we must speak of the Joining." Anselm then reached into his satchel, pulling out five empty vials with cork stoppers. "Normally, this first part is different. I would send you out to kill darkspawn and bring back vials of their blood. But you have already done well, so each person who is committing to be a Grey Warden in this moment is to take one of these vials from my hands and fill it with darkspawn blood that has not been sullied by the ground, preferably from one of the frozen ones, then give the filled vial back to me. Each one who takes a vial shall from henceforce be a Warden-Recuit, the lowest rank of the order. But I give this warning, once you take the vial there is no recourse. By taking this vial you swear that you will fight with me until this Blight is ended, no matter what happens, and continue to be vigilant afterwards. So it has been, and so it shall be.

"Those of you who commit to stay and fight with me but choose not to join the Grey Wardens, I ask you all to begin setting up camp. We will remain here with the Dalish and the refugees tonight, but at dawn we will leave for Denerim, and then to the Circle and Orzammar afterwards. You expedition members who have chosen not become a Grey Warden may also witness the Joining ritual tonight, but if you do so know that you will be bound by a vow of sacred silence, like a mage cannot speak to others about the Harrowing and a templar is not to reveal the secrets of their craft. The Joining can only be openly discussed with Grey Wardens and those who are labelled as friends of the order. Now, with all that said, let us begin."

Denerim itself was about a day away from where they were encamped, due to being in the forest's northern extremities. As each person who came up took a vial, the Warden-Commander asked them their full name as a formality so he could say it in the Joining ritual proper, declaring them each a Warden-Recruit after he gave them their name as he handed them each their vial. After Arrahel put the remainder away before seeking about and he found the healer, who he recognized as a Circle mage. He gently tapped her shoulder to get her attention, offering a polite countenance as he spoke up.

"I don't believe I've met you yet. You are from the expedition sent to find me, yes? My name is Arrahel- Arrahel the White. I'm Ferelden's Warden-Commander. If you aren't busy, I could use your assistance preparing for the Joining. Traditionally, a Circle mage has always been present to help prepare a special concotion. Being a former Circle mage myself, I know how, but I must focus on preparing another portion of the ritual. Ah, but forgive me my rudeness. Before I have your answer, might I first have your name?"[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Snowflake
[fieldbox=Miri Evenwood, #43c6db] As the other mage spoke, Miri listened intently as the other not only gave her some rather interesting information on the Wardens, but also giving him his name, as well as some more details about some of the things he was nifty at. "Now that's interesting~" She mused, a kind smile on her features as she seemed genuine in her interest. "I will be sure to do that, maybe we can have an conversation or two about the workings of the fade and the beings that reside there. I for one, don't enjoy the presence of the vile beings. The headaches and pain that ensue for me by just being in their presence makes me rather sick." She said with a solemn smile before shaking her head. "But that is a conversation for another time I suppose." Giving him a nod as he excused himself to go speak with the warden, Miri turned her attention elsewhere.

Wandering off a bit, with nothing that urgent at hand she merely allowed her feet to carry her wherever they please, while she allowed her thoughts to go back and forth on matters. Be them serious, pointless, silly, anything to shove the idea of boredom away. While she was in the middle of thinking what kind of creature would be the best pet to have while she was outside the circle, her attention was taken from those thought's to an elf that had now approached her. Bringing her gaze to the man, she listened as he introduced himself and asked for a favor from her.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, during our travels I had feared the worse, but meeting you here has certainly made at least two of the hundreds of worries I have to dissipate." She hummed a small chuckle leaving her as she gave him a gracious smile. "I am Miri, Miri Evenwood, mage of Montismard Circle. As you presumed, I was part of the group that was sent out to seek for any of the remaining wardens. Though there is only one person in that group that I have any familiarity with. Everyone else....well I hadn't attempted to remember their names till after the first bout... I should go around and learn them all now." As she said this she placed a thoughtful finger on her chin as she tilted her head to the side before shaking her head as she knew she was losing track.

"As for your request, I don't mind helping in this. However, in me helping will be forced to join as well? While I do find the cause to be an admirable one to say the least. My life is already bound to one thing that won't let me free, I don't know how I feel about joining another."
@AceSorcerer[/fieldbox]

"Oskar at your service, Warden." He accentuated the introduction with a half-bow, and rose with a wide, toothy smile. Though Oskar knew little about the actual practices of the wardens, he was confident in his ability to impress and, if it came to it, survive the coming trials. As the rest of his traveling party began to voice their concerns and agreement, Oskar hung back, listening in as they spoke amongst one another.

It was excitement that he felt when the Warden - Arrahel - described the trials of their joining. It was dangerous, rewarding, and best of all, full of purpose. It filled him with pride knowing that he would soon become part of something as important and valued as the Grey Wardens, and although he was hardly a fighter worthy of the best the Wardens had to offer, he had his own unique talents. He would prove to them what he was capable of.

He held the vial in his hand, turning it over in his fingers. Darkspawn blood, then? Easy enough, as the field was still littered with their bodies. Oskar went his own way after that to search for fresh blood, carefully picking his way through the bodies to find the freshest corpse from which to fill his vial.

Settling by a fallen genlock, Oskar sliced open its neck and held the vial's opening to the incision. Black blood pooled and filled the vial. He pulled it back, replaced the stopper, and returned to the Warden-Commander for further instructions, proudly holding up the vial for the mage to take.

It was disgusting, surely, but he trusted the strange ritual nonetheless. He only hoped he would survive-- tales of survival were... disappointingly few.

"... What comes after this, Warden-Commander?"

Kahra felt a sliver of disappointment Arrahel did not say much to her as an individual, but let it go, given their time constraint with Blight. It was important to get started as soon as they could and prepare for what would come— millions of Darkspawn in battle. There were many things Kahra wasn't afraid of, but if she was afraid of something, it was the horror of what would come. She took a vial from Arrahel and walked over to one of the frozen icicles on a Hurlock.

The only part she didn't understand was how she could get the blood out without spilling it. She didn't want to get the blood on her flesh. Kahra sawed away at the icicle with caution, keeping a firm grip on it as the icicle finally began to loosen. She held the vial up to where the blood began to drip. She turned the icicle down and the blood slowly filled up the vial. Kahra threw the icicle on the ground, came back to where Oskar and Arrahel were, and held up her own vial.

"I have one as well."

Last edited:
[fieldbox=Septimus Avernus, green]Taking the vial politely Septimus excused himself to go collect the tainted blood. He had his gloves on but still, he felt like he wanted to avoid sullying even them with the creature's disgusting fluids. If the legends were true and these minsters really did spawn due to his ancestor's breaching the Golden City then by all accounts he wanted to be as far away from them as possible. Yet it was necessary to extract the blood in order to better combat them and become a Warden. In a way he saw it not just as a job he wanted to take up but as a duty he was destined to accept. If aeons ago it was Tevinter that spawned this Blight then perhaps it is Tevinter that should start bringing it down.

He walked up to one of the frozen statues, the ones that didn't manage to break out of their frozen shells have died from either suffocation or frost by now, that said the ice was slowly dissipating as the magic faded away. He didn't want to wait until the body hit the ground so he took out his dagger, a ceremonial thing, family heirloom, more so an item of status like a signet ring but more practical. Chipping away at the ice on the genlock's forearm he soon struck flesh and blood started dripping slowly. He was in no rush though he twisted the blade to up the speed a little bit. It took a few minutes for the vial to be appropriately filled and given how slow Septimus was bleeding him there was no splash around the floor or his clothing. He made an effort to clean off his dagger with a piece of large leaf and then tossed the tainted leaf into the pyre the Warden and the other organized earlier. Before he returned to the Warden he made sure to push the frozen statue over and then spend a good minute dousing it in flames from his hands until he was certain that the thing caught fire and would burn away along with its tainted blood.

Satisfied he returned to the Warden-Commander and handed in the vial. "Disgusting thing, hope you don't make this into a habit, Commander. I'd rather not touch the vile fluid. Then again, there might be some use for it, perhaps in time some research could be done, for now, I leave this with you. I shall go assist with the burning of the corpses." With that Septimus went around looking for any stray darkspawn corpses and burning them systematically until they were all either chared or burning. Controlled burns, all of them, though at times he had to resort to more mundane means with the assistance from some of the refugees.[/fieldbox]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AceSorcerer
Arrahel the White
Arrahel the White
Anselm was about to speak when the Warden-Recruits approached him. He looked to the Circle mage and, after politely excusing himself for a moment, reached into the satchel that contained most of his Grey Warden paraphernalia and pulled out what appeared to be a small medicine bag, although it was evident that the bag had more clasps and far thicker leather than the usual members of its kind the Grey Warden seal . After he undid the three claps (one larger clasp on the front and two ones on the sides of the small, rectangular pouch) to reveal the six carefully constructed cells for each vial, the little leather compartments also holding a pair of loops wherein the Grey Warden seal stamped on the front of the flap. Pouches like these were specifically designed to hold vials of darkspawn blood, to ensure that is a vial broke it would not leak out or cause and spills and contaminations, and were given to Wardens authorized to perform the Joining.

With gentle caution, Arrahel took each of the three vials, placing them each in a slot and speaking as he did so, sealing the pouch up again when he was finished. "Very good, you three. You may do as you wish, but ensure you do not eat or drink anything more until after the Joining ritual tonight. Believe me, it will make things easier." The Warden-Commander ensured that Septimus would hear this before he went on his way, leaving the elf to speak with the two rogues before him, the twinge of experience apparent in his advice about the brief fast. "As for your question, Oskar, you will learn when the time is right. The Joining proper is done after nightfall for the sake of secrecy. For now, though, you and Kahra are both Warden-Recruits- do your best to help the Dalish and the refugees set up camp, cremate the dead, and burn any remaining darkspawn corpses you see. If you find you are not needed for anyone or for any of these tasks, set up camp with your expeditionary companions. I will be a bit busy until nightfall preparing part of the Joining ritual and handling anything that has been tainted, but I will answer any questions you may have after the Joining."

Arrahel then turned around, then stopped in his tracks before facing the pair for a moment again. "And if we're in any formal situation or if we're not dealing with any Warden affairs, please just call me Arrahel, not by my title. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must talk to Miri about preparing the ritual." Arrahel politely took his leave from the pair of his juniors, returning his attention to the Circle mage before he spoke up again.

"I apologize for that. Either way, you were asking about whether you would have to do the Joining by being of assistance? The answer is no, but you will be kept to a vow of secrecy and marked as a friend of the order. This has benefits, and essentially the Wardens would ask you to small things, basically acting like a liason or a representative in the Circle. So when this Blight it over, I'll be able to help you if you have any issues and I would just ask for you assistance from time-to-time. Usually, this has taken form of watching for possible recuits among Circle apprentices or acting as a healer or alchemist for Warden bases. There are other things that I can note, of course, but time is of the essence."

Arrahel then reached into his satchel with his free hand, pulling out a small leather pouch that would reveal a large vial of highly potent lyrium, an assortment of rare herbs and ingredients, and a folded piece of parchment containing instructions on how to make the base of the concotion used in the Joining. Arrahel spoke up, clearing his throat and stowing away the medicine pouch after the mage took the bag from him. "I thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this. When the base of the concotion is ready, bring it to me and I will finish it. After that, you only need to be present for the Joining. I know that Theralan, the keeper, has the tools necesarry to make the base if you don't have them yourself. If there's anything I can do for you as thanks or in general, Miri, please let me know."

Last edited:
[fieldbox=Letif & Karasten, crimson, solid, 10, bookman old style]

Karasten was some distant Qunari approximation of 'chipper', as he turned to acknowledge Letif, suitably pleased by the Warden-Commander's seeming facility with both language and history. The pleasant surprise perhaps unbalanced him, and sent him stumbling into further conversation with the templar.

"More than most," he allowed, factual but not boastful, "Less than others. I am rather more familiar in doing battle with your ilk." His breath, his voice ended there, an awkward position that lent dissonance to the silence.

Soon after Letif went to ask a question to Karasten, the warden commander started to speak up about the plan. Starting with something called the joining, a process with which Letif had little interest. Arrahel also mentioned they would be staying the night there in the forest and those who did not want to join could start to set up camp. Letif was fine with doing so as they could keep a close eye on the refugees for the time being in case any others tried to attack the groups.

As the templar turned back to the Qunari, he was graced with a short answer from the man, followed by an interesting statement afterwards. Letif would nod, "I see, I pity the misguided souls that had the misfortune to meet you on the battlefield…...say, do the Qunari have anything similar to a templar?" he would ask as he would begin to look for the least bloodied place to set up camp after the fight.

"Impossible." came the reply, quick and sharp, a burning brand that the Qunari hastened to cool out of courtesy, "Some of the Vashoth, perhaps, may have begun to believe as you do, but they are, they act... counter to their nature."

Letif was caught off guard by the sharp and quick reply of Karasten, saying it was impossible, leaving the templar a bit confused before the qunari shared a bit more. Letif was not familiar with the term Karasten had used so he could only guess at its actual meaning. "hmm is that so? How do you tend to deal with troublesome mages than?" he would ask curious to know more about the culture he knew so little about.

As they were chatting, Letif was looking around for a somewhat cleaner place to set up their camp. It didn't take too long before the two found a good size clearing they could use in the direction from which they entered the forest. Letif would begin to grab the tents and things they needed before moving to set up the camp.

"Properly." The Qunari simply allowed, before bending to assist.

Hearing the man's answer, Letif froze in place, he was unsure on how to interpret that, he had a puzzled look on his face as he questioned himself. Soon enough though he would bring himself back to reality as he continued to ask more questions.

"oh I have a good idea, tell me what's the toughest thing you've ever fought in battle? I've fought bandits and mages before but nothing compares to these darkspawn. Especially those orges, they can crush a man with its bare hands, if it wasn't for my squad and Miri I doubt i would have had a chance of felling the beast." he would share a bit about himself in hopes to get Karasten to be more vocal. Though as they continued to set up the tents nonetheless.

The Qunari labored, and labored, eyes furrowing momentarily at the name of the healer. Between a sequence of sharp, efficiently taken breaths, one may have been able to make out the slight shake of the head, "I have fought nothing so fierce as your ilk's desire for conversation."

Karasten had moved to move away then, his share of tents and supplies gripped in hand.

After Letif would share with the other man a bit about himself, while asking a question. The answer he received though was not one he expected, was it a joke or was he being serious, there was no smile on the qunari's face or anything to hint in any direction. The templar failed to stifle a chuckle before it escaped his lips at the thought of Karasten making a joke.

Nevertheless the man would continue to move even as Letif would take a moment to collect himself. He would decide to leave Karasten alone for now as they quickly worked to finish setting up the camp for their group. They didn't know how long the ritual for joining would take after all. When the two would finish, Letif would find a place to sit before starting to try and relax a bit.

[/fieldbox]

A Cold Greeting
Collab between Snowflake and Kat

Kahra left Arrahel to his musings once he'd taken the vial from her hand. The smell of rotten corpses made her want to vomit, which was unlike her, however, the bagging and burning of the bodies were not something beyond her expertise. She kicked a genlock near the other recruit who'd already gone fishing and grinned, hands resting behind her head.

"It's not everyday we get to burn these bastards. I'm Kahra. What's your name?"

Looking up from the smouldering corpse Sep was met with the eyes of one of his travelling companions, the quiet and calm elf. He looked down at the charred remains and then around himself deciding that taking a small break from throwing fire from his fingertips would be a good idea for now. With a confident smile he bowed yet again to another friend from his party, or at least he hoped she would become a friend.

"Septimus Avernus, of Tevinter Imperium's Noble house of Avernus, in case the robes look a bit too worn out." They did, he travelled more than five years in those very clothes only taking them off to wash them occasionally. "And who might you be? I don't believe you ever introduced yourself." He looked around for stray dry branches and wood to start building smaller pyres for the rest of the bodies.

Kahra picked up a few well sized branches nearby.

"Tevinter? Well, that's a shame."

She tossed her branches onto one of the smaller pyres he'd begun. There was an underlying tone of disdain in her voice as she tried to compose herself.

"Kahra, in case you didn't hear my greeting the first time. I've come a long way from Tevinter."

Sighing Septimus rose stood straight up and looked the elf in the eyes unflinching and confident as he could be. He never liked this kind of conversation with the outsiders, it was too easy for him to be painted a villian for simply being born in the Imperium.

"Unwillingly sent there I presume given your tone of voice and choice of words. If we're going to have a problem travelling on perhaps it would be best to get it over with right away." He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly through his nose. "I've nothing against you Kahra, but I won't let you walk over me for the crimes of others." He crossed his arms bracing for whatever may come from that.

Kahra scoffed and put on a big smile, "Wow, I was right about you. Tevinter men can't seem to keep their mouth shut once they've been up and running for quite some time, especially the noble kind. Thank you for the reminder."

She picked up some more branches and tossed them in the same pile before.

"You're lucky I didn't slit your throat yet. How would you go about burning these bodies?"

Septimus snorted into his chin. "There's still time." Looking around at the numerous bodies scattered around the place he knew they needed a better system. "One at a time, Warden mentioned not to let them contaminate us." He sighed realising how much time that would take. "You wouldn't happen to have any cheap alcohol we could use? The kind that burns well." For the moment at least he decided to drop the issue and focus on the bodies.

"No, no alcohol. You got a match? I could start a fire," Kahra suggested. "I know how to play with fire."

"Had a feeling you were the type." Rummaging around the countless pockets of his robes eventually Sep managed to find the little box and offer it to her. There were at least a dozen matches left inside the wooden container. "We will have to do this a number of times, there's plenty of bodies all over the place. You wouldn't happen to have an idea on how to deal with them faster? I'd rather spend as little time as necessary around these disfigured bodies and tainted fluids." He pulled out a handkerchief and held it up to his face to try and cover up the smell.

Kahra laughed and took the match box, "Relax. It's just a few bodies, rich man," she teased, sarcasm laced in her voice. "We'll get it done when we get it done. I'm sure the others wouldn't mind burning a few bodies themselves."

She took out a match tip and struck it against the side of the box. The fire burned brightly against the small red tip, a sight Kahra found strangely calming. She tossed the match on the small pyre then worked on another one.

"What about dead bodies makes you feel sick? Isn't it something you're used to, being Tevinter and all?"

Visibly cringing at that remark or perhaps because of the smell of sizzling darkspawn Septimus backed off a bit from the pyre. "You're either thinking of Nevarra and their massive crypts or have a very poor understanding of what life in Tevinter is like." He shuddered as the smell reached his nostrils through the handkerchief making him back off further. "Besides, even if I were some big bad evil blood mage that killed people for power I would still not be used to 'this'." He gestured at the burning carcass. "This is just unnatural, vile and disgusting form of… I can't even dare to call it life, this is just pure corruption." The disgust was clear on his face and his entire demeanor as well, he wanted to be as far away from these things as possible. "You can't possibly tell me you are fine being around these things."

"I deal with death all the time. This is nothing," Kahra stated and shoved her newly acquired match box into her left pouch on her hip. It was a lie, but she wouldn't stoop so low to tell him the truth. "I know quite what Tevinter is like in itself. Slavery, whipping, illness, death. Just like these poor bastards."

She picked up more branches nearby and started the same process with the matches.

"You should get used to the smell of death. You'll be around it all the time if you want to help stop the Blight."

"Yes, practically the same." Sep mumbled into his chin as he started gathering more firewood and tinder to start a second pyre. He knew his life in the Imperium was about as great as it can get, meaning that he was in the privileged minority and on top of it all he was blessed with magical gifts and talents. However comparing the stench of darkspawn and Blight to the state of Imperium was unfair. No amount of human cruelty could be as bad as this, not according to what he read and not according to what he felt standing between the pyres.

"I hope I never get used to the smell of death. I hope to one day be able to relax and sit down quietly without a single worry in my mind." He sighed starting to lose his chipper attitude the more he talked to her. "Why are you here, Kahra? Why do you want to join the Wardens?" He wanted to see if he could find something to bond with her over, something to help her tolerate him.

Kahra lit another pyre, silent with Septimus' question before she decided to answer after a few more burns.

"This is the second time I was asked to join. The first time I was in an unsavory situation– one which Arrahel helped me out of… It's complicated. I just wanted freedom so… They gave it to me…"

She guessed they did, at least, and struck another match.

"So it's a matter of personal debt? Quite honorable and commendable. There's a chance no one will ever thank you for it you know? So I'll be the first one to do so. As a citizen of Thedas I thank you, Kahra for the burden you are about to take on. I cannot change the past, nor convince you the Imperium is anything other than what you've experienced, but I can treat you with respect and as an equal. If you ever need help with anything I'll be there for you, no questions asked."

The sting of guilt was present, through he hardly had anything to do with Kahra's situation. It wasn't easy for him to know the kind of inhumane acts some people performed and how little care was given to non-human slaves. Even without others reminding him he felt that bitter feeling inside his chest. Best he could do was try and fight the stereotype, much like most 'Vints that travel abroad and act with respect towards others.

"You can count on me, after all we will be fellow Wardens. I just hope I can count on you to have my back as well."

"We may be forced to work together as we intend to stop the blight, but you're making a big mistake thanking me for anything or assuming it was personal debt. As long as you keep a comfortable distance, I'll keep my daggers sheathed for Arrahel's sanity. The moment you slip up, however, consider your head for sell on a pike. Understood?"

She turned away, not much interested in talking with the Tevinter noble any longer. He was too kind, it made her sick. Hopefully, he'd understand her boundaries and stick to them. Otherwise, he may as well consider himself pot roast for the maggots.

Last edited:
The words of the Warden reached Gwinnis but not in the bones. Some things you just had to wait for the right time, maybe. There was a hint of grandeur and the whispered promise perhaps of glory but she couldn't see where she'd fit into it all. The prospect of being a barricade between the good and innocent folk and these abominations drew her but a niggling fear at the back of her mind wondered if she would become a pawn or just a number when they tallied how many they'd speak of dying in some solemn speech. It was one thing to die, but she'd be damned if her name was lost to the stone as some slain pawn.

It was not precisely the sort of work to whistle while doing but Gwinnis didn't feel any particular repulsion toward burning to the bodies either. It was slow work, though, as the flesh was still flesh and resistant to burning. She had set about gathering some loose bits for tinder, low as it was on her list to give the darkspawn anything resembling a proper funeral pyre, for they needed something a little more eager to burn.

She hadn't intended on eavesdropping, really, but when the Vint mage and stabby elf were having a go at one another, it was hard not to hear from where she had been trying to get some soft, dry wood from an old stump that had taken to falling apart. It didn't comfort her much to hear that the resolution was at best a tenuous truce. Who wanted allies that were a drunken barfight from turning on each other and helping the darkspawn finish the task?

Trying to edge away quietly with an armful of dried hunks of wood from the stump was doomed to failure and lasted only a few seconds before she stumbled over a rock and dropped a few.

"Hullo, hullo, just taking some wood over. Wouldn't want to intrude on your nice interlude so don't mind me."

"Just because you fought with us against the darkspawn does not mean you're entitled to do whatever you please here!"
"Oh, cool your tits lass! It's just a couple bottles, we're all friends here!"

Too late, Saal recalls just how devoid of humour his former people are.

The Dalish elf that has him cornered next to one of the supply tents wears the robes of a Keeper's apprentice and an expression that implies she's less than happy with the situation at hand. That being the fact that she's just found an elven mercenary helping himself to the contents of the tent.

In all honesty, Saal does think the whole thing's a bit of an overreaction. It was just a few bottles of wine that he's helped himself to, after all. No-one's going to miss them.

One hand still locked against her hip, the apprentice jabs her free hand towards the cart.
"Put what you have taken back. Now. Or your Commander shall here of this." At this, Saal fixes her with his very best shit-eating grin.
"My what, now? Aw, sweetheart, you've really misread this situation. I'm not going about with your lad Arrahel, alright? He's going about with me. Got orders to bring his fine Warden self back to the good and noble of Ferelden, so I do. So by all means, off you fuck and tattle to him. Makes not a lick of difference to me." Chuckling still, he tucks one of the wine bottles under his arm and begins sauntering off back towards the makeshift camp his fellow travellers have begun to assemble.
"You—" the apprentice starts, flushing with anger, "You can't just swan in here and take whatever you please!"
"Correction, love, that's exactly what I'm doing!"

Both arms laden with his liberated and well-deserved celebration drinks, Saal chuckles his way over to the fire that's starting to take shape. It's still lacking much of the firewood needed to get it going properly, though. And the dwarf who was supposed to be acquiring said firewood. Rolling his eyes, he tucks one of the bottles into his belts, uncorks the other with his teeth, and sets off towards the woods nearby in search of Gwinnis.

It doesn't take long to find her. Saal just needs to follow the irate voices.

And the sound of an armoured dwarf smacking against a rock, which has quite the distinctive ring to it.

"Well you're taking your sweet time with the-- oh," he begins, grinning at Gwinnis before catching sight of the other two occupants of the forest. His grin widens, and he arches an eyebrow. "Fuck me, you lot aren't wasting any time pairing off are you?" He jabs the (now less full) wine bottle in Kahra's direction. "Didn't have you pegged as going for the Tevinter types. But hey ho, takes all sorts."

Remove the darkspawn. Help the refugees. Tend the fire. Trivial, but necessary if this land was to heal. Oskar left the Warden-Commander's side to help collect firewood and burn the bodies, the acrid stench of burning darkspawn flesh bringing tears to his eyes. He blinked them away and, once he had contributed his share to the pyre found himself a comfortable spot in the mossy grass and reclined there, squinting in the firelight.

He pulled his old lute into his lap, his worn fingertips dragging across the strings in silent, contemplative strokes as if he were considering a piece or two to soothe the party's spirits.

In the end, Oskar did play something. An old celebratory composition from his homeland lasting no more than a handful of verses. And as the fire burned, and as his throat grew dry, Oskar made the decision that a good drink was in order. He hefted himself to his feet and set the lute against a nearby tree.

"Oy, friends, a parched throat is no good news. I smell wine."

Just a taste. He could deny his history all he wanted, but Oskar was far from a clean drinker. It would, perhaps, be best if his companions kept the wine as far from him as possible, lest he make a fool of himself in front of them. Regardless... a taste or two would be a pleasant break from the horrid stench of rotting, burnt darkspawn. He'd give anything at this point.

Wood collecting and burning bodies had not been in her best interest after she had the tense situation with Septimus, the god damned Tevinter. Kahra left the man to his own devices and continued striking. It wasn't a foreign practice; she'd burned her own lover's body after she'd slit his throat in front of every boy and girl in training. She'd waited for the day to come when he'd finally forgive her, however, she'd quickly determined that it was not the case.

Year after year, Kahra still felt guilt. She still felt shame, and when she'd failed in one of her assignments as a master, she ran. Kahra tossed a few more sturdy sticks on a pile of bodies and glanced up as a dwarf entered the clearing to pick up some wood. Kahra snickered as the dwarf stumbled a bit and dropped some of them. The collection of firewood was not Kahra's problem so she didn't see the harm, so long as the dwarf wasn't stealing from her.

"Oh no, you're quite alright. We just finished up our nice interlude, as you call it," Kahra spoke in a sweet tone, and tossed a lit match onto the ground next to her. The bodies and branches went up in flames. She went to light another beast when a Dalish–Saal, if she remembered correctly– approached her with a bottle of alcohol. Kahra took the bottle immediately and was about to tilt it back when she heard Oskar's voice. Kahra chuckled a little.

"Be ready for disappointment. I need this more than you."

A large sip and she pulled the bottle away before she spoke directly to Saal.

"You have me pegged wrong, Saal. It's best if you don't make any more assumptions."

She downed the rest of the wine, devouring the liquid more than savouring it in any capacity. She handed the empty bottle over to Oskar, shoving it at his chest.

"God, that is not enough. You got more on that belt of yours," Kahra observed.

She gestured towards the other bottle on Saal's belt.

"A lady's got needs. Why not hand it over?"

Never known for stealth or grace, Gwinnis should have anticipated being easily to find than a bronto in a chantry. She shouldn't even thought, let alone tried, to sneak past but that ship had sailed now. If she didn't want to be caught up in whatever fussy business was going on, she should have stuck to her strengths and pretended to be a rock or something instead, she lamented internally.

The brief silence was broken by a rowdy voice and Gwinnis was entirely certain that she had never been happier in her life to see an elf than she was to realise that Saal had found them and was bringing wine. The taste of wine was fine if you were in need of a drink but couldn't hold a candle to a fine dwarven ale. At the moment, though, she was as happy to see the wine as she was Saal.

Gwinnis had scarcely been able to close the distance before another curious face joined the group, sniffing out the wine like one of those Ferelden dogs after prey. That would have been fine, too, the more the merrier but for the lady elf. Gwinnis had met a handful of the sort and they tended to speak to Gwinnis as though trying not to sigh for the most part so the honeyed tone coming from this one made Gwinn more suspicious than relaxed. It didn't help that she then proceeded to drink one of the bottles with the vigor of one who'd crawled out of the Western Approach.

"So they are, twos and twos. I had my doubts about the suitability of corpse burning for bonding but they seem to be doing fine. You, though, I see, are angling to be everyone's favorite. I hope there's more where that came from, though." She cast a glance at Kahra before quietly tallying how many bottles Saal had managed to procure from... she could only assume ethical sources and protest ignorance otherwise.

"Glad I didn't ruin the moment," she added, a cheery hand wave in Sep's direction. "You'll have to go somewhere more private next time so nobody stumbles along needing to piss or something, you know."

A polite nod and a smile at Gwinnis and Septimus excused himself from the group of drinkers to go burn some more bodies. The disgusting smells were already turning his stomach, drowning it with alcohol was unlikely to help calm it so he had no reason to stick around the merry bunch, at least not while there was more work to be done. Work being something he came to consider his duty since he already stated he would become a Warden if given the opportunity to do so. Burning the corpses should help get him used to even the boring side of being a Warden, as he assumed it's not all dragon slaying and gryphon riding. Well, the latter one couldn't possibly be since they were long since extinct anyway which left only the Archdemon and hordes of its tainted servants to deal with.

Rest of his free time was spent tending to the camp which included trivial matters such as pitching a tent and lighting a campfire. After he was all set up Septimus took out his own canteen filled with water and after taking a few sips started jotting down something in his travel journal. For five years he travelled the nations of Thedas and this was his second notebook, the first one having been completely filled out and stowed away in his pack to be mailed back home and archived. Having written down the prior events he jotted a few thoughts on the margins. Small notes such as "Kahra's prickly." and "Miri seems nice" as well as the most important "Qunari seems terrifying" and various others that really didn't mean anything and only indicated how little he knew about them. Instead of mingling, however, he busied himself with sketching their faces on the opposite page. There would be time to interact and meet them later on, for now, he was tired from fighting and wanted to gather his strength before the Joining and whatever it entailed.

Reactions: AceSorcerer
The Joining
When Miri had finished the base of the concoction, Arrahel sequestered himself as he took the chalice from his satchel as well as the vials of blood from their special pouch, and began adding them to the base that now rested in the chalice to prepare the ritual. After some time, the Warden-Commander pulled out a black pouch from the satchel, within which was a heavily fortified vial with a metal casing containing a crimson back substance within the hidden glass- the blood of an Archdemon. With the greatest caution, the elf opened the vial, and allowed precisely one drop of the foul substance to join the elixir before letting it settle and storing all the equipment he had used away after they were cleaned. And then, when he saw that the sun had begun to set, he felt it in his bones. Quite quickly, he called over one of the Dalish, telling them to fetch the three Warden-Recruits and the Circle mage, informing them to go to a specific spot outside while Arrahel waited with the concoction for a moment long, taking deep breaths and readying himself for what might come. But, after a quick bout of preparation and setting up his tent, he returned to take the chalice.

The time had come.

The moon now gleamed brilliantly in the night sky, full and with little clouds to obscure it as the stars stood in their celestial vigil. Arrahel walked slowly to the small grove outside the main camp, where a marble stone pedestal and a few marble slabs stood upraised, the remnant of some fallen elven structure, as the three Warden-Recruits and the Circle mage awaited him. Arrahel was in his full garb, but his cloak was set aside in tent along with his staff and his shield, his sword remaining at his hip as his hands carried the silver chalice with the greatest care, moving so as not to let the dark liquid within spill. Before the marble pedestal was a small fire that he had set up earlier before giving the recruits time to talk among themselves. Now the Warden-Commander stood before the fire, setting the chalice comfortably in the center of the pedestal before moving to the side and taking a few steps forward, ensuring he could be seen well and was far enough away he wouldn't knock the chalice over as he began to speak.

"'Join us, brothers and sisters. Join us in the shadows where we stand vigilant. Join us as we carry the duty that can not be forsworn. And should you perish, know that your sacrifice will not be forgotten. And that one day we shall join you.' These words are spoken at every Joining across Thedas, and have been spoken at every Joining since they were uttered at the very first ritual during the First Blight. In those times, all the peoples were desperate, seeking a way to survive. Men, dwarves, and elves pooled their knowledge together and crafted the first Joining ritual. They took the blood of the darkspawn and used it make an elixir and drank it, taking the taint upon themselves and mastering it. This concoction, containing the blood of the darkspawn your slew in battle and a single drop of an Archemon's blood, stands before each of you in the silver chalice. From this concoction do we Grey Wardens receive our abilities. And now as I and each of my predecessors drank of this ancient elixir, so shall each of you."

With no small amount of weight in his heart, Arrahel then took the chalice back into his hands, standing beside the fire as he gave the call.

"Kahra, come forward, and drink."

The young assassin stepped forward, every ounce of determination in her expression. She took the chalice offered to her and drank the metallic liquid. Kahra handed the chalice back and waited for a moment. Everything seemed fine before she stumbled back a little and leaned forward on her legs to catch her breath. Her hand went to her forehead where she must've felt the most excruciating agony. She screamed and fell to the ground, choking on the blood.

Kahra gripped her throat, fingernails digging into dirt below as she tried to speak, and a few moments later, the assassin fell to the ground like a doll, eyes closed and silent. It wasn't quite clear at that point in time whether she'd simply passed out or died.

Watching Kahra choke out and drop to the ground Sep covered his mouth with his hands imagining the worst. He turned his eyes towards Miri as if expecting her to do something. Turning back towards Kahra he was about to go to her to see if she is alive when he saw Arrahel beat him to it. He awaited eagerly to find out his heart pounding against his chest rapidly. He was excited to join the Wardens before but now most of that enthusiasm had started to wane. Seeing someone he just spoke to a few hours ago had that kind of effect on him.

Seeing the sight, Anselm put the Chalice onto the pedestal, kneeling down to examine Kahra's form. He put his fingers to her neck to find a pulse, and then put his hand near her face to try and catch her breath. A small smile came across his face as he stood up, gently grabbing the woman by her shoulders and moving her to rest against one of the marble slabs, allowing her to be somewhat up right as be began to move towards the pedestal as he spoke up.

"Do not worry, my friends- she is well and alive. She is merely unconscious. She has passed the Joining."

Arrahel then took the chalice again, stepping forward as he spoke reverently.

"Septimus, come forward, and drink."

Taking a deep breath Septimus exhaled through his lips as he stepped forward and took the chalice into his hands. For a moment he felt a tremble build up in his body the lingering fear growing as he waited. Looking into the concoction of blood he realised something and chuckled. "If I die, don't tell my folks I died choking on blood. They might take it the wrong way." With a faux smile on his lips and nothing but bravado in his gut he brought the chalice to his lips and took a sip of the vile fluid.

The taste, if one could even call it that, was easily equivalent to rotten meat and even that was overpowered by the burning sensation in his mouth and throat as he downed the gulp of the liquid. He imagined drinking chemical alcohol would feel this way. Within seconds his eyes watered and his vision blurred as he got a sudden sense of vertigo and stumbled to one side then the other trying to compensate. He landed on all fours barely bracing himself from slamming his head into the ground. He tried to cough up the burning sensation in his throat but it only made the situation worse as he hacked and eventually fell into the blackness of his mind, body going limp.

Oskar assured himself that it looked worse than it was. That this was how things worked for the Wardens, that the rite was a test of strength more than anything and if the woman - Kahra, yes, he remembered her name - survived, then surely he could do the same. He swallowed thickly as she laid motionless, seconds stretching into minutes and minutes becoming like hours. His anxiety faded when the Warden-Commander crouched down to check and help her to her feet.

The other initiate followed suit, and drank from the cup. He suffered the same consequences and collapsed like a ragged doll, no different from the first. Oskar almost regretted his eagerness and optimism, seeing how easily these two had succumbed to the rite. He breathed in shakily, preparing himself for what was to happen next.

As he did with Kahra, Arrahel took the chalice and set it aside before turning the Tevinter onto his back to check for vitals. First he checked for a pulse at the neck, and then another at the wrist before seeking his breath. After a moment, Arrahel let out a great sigh of relief before dragging the mage to a separate slab and spoke up again before reexamining Kahra and ensuring they were both upright.

"Do not worry for them, they will be fine. Kahra will likely return to consciousness in a few minutes, but it will likely be longer for Septimus. You will learn as you continue in the Wardens, my friend, that the Joining takes the heaviest toll on mages despite the fact that they are usually strong in their survival rate."

With this done, Arrahel went over to the pedestal and picked up the chalice for one final time, although he also placed down three empty pendants afterwards before he slowly approached the bard for the final and last of the three Joinings as he spoke with the same true reverence he had for the other two initiates.

"Oskar, come forward, and drink."

That was him. Though his worries grew exponentially, he couldn't back out now, not after the trouble he'd gone through to get to this point. He had already bound himself to this order and had no intentions of sullying his image with cowardice. He took the chalice from the Warden-Commander and brought it to his lips. He steadied himself.

It burned. Slick, hot oil slithered down his throat, more akin to a foul poison than blood. He gagged on the wretched taste, trembled as his blood boiled in his veins and his stomach turned with fire. He choked and collapsed to his knees, fingernails pressed hard enough into his scalp to draw blood.

White heat flooded the space behind his eyes, and for a long moment, he kneeled, shocked and exhausted beyond belief. He gathered what strength he could before shakily looking up to find the Commander.

Upon setting down the chalice, Arrahel quickly grabbed Oskar's hand, assisting him to stand. As he pulled him up, he clasped his hand firmly, shaking it with a proud smile as he spoke up.

"You've done it, all three of you have passed even if those two are unconscious. Come, Oskar, help me with this before the others wake."

Arrahel then took the Orlesian, having him hold the circular amulets that had the phrase "I remember you." inscribed on the back of it. Into each of the three silver amulets, the Warden-Commander poured a bit of the Joining concoction into a small opening that would remain sealed afterwards, with the Grey Warden's seal emblazoned on its front. Arrahel then used light fire magic to seal each opening, not to be opened so long as their owner lived. Once this was done, Arrahel poured the remainder of the Joining concoction into the fire, causing it flare up greatly before returning to its previous state.

Kahra winced, squeezing her eyes shut and opening them as an attempt to regain her surroundings. She pressed her hand to her forehead, the sharp sting echoing like a phantom. The world was blurred, she couldn't quite remember what'd happened, but slowly, she'd regained consciousness. It took her a moment to reassess her situation before she stood up, caution at her heels, and silence at her lips. Septimus was laying down nearby, or better, maybe he was dead and didn't survive the joining. Kahra glanced over at Arrahel and Oskar and approached them, watching as Oskar passed over three pendants to Arrahel.

"I passed out," she noted in a blunt tone.

Much to Kahra's imminent disappointment, Sep grumbled and held his arms across his chest as if hugging some imaginary plushy. He was very much alive albeit stuck in a terribly uncomfortable almost dreamless sleep. If he was just sleeping he'd be in the Fade and that would be calming but instead all he felt was hours going by as his body tried to fight off the taint he ingested. Nothing but an occasional grumble would come from him for almost fifteen minutes until he inevitably shook himself from this suspended state and returned to his senses dull and his body aching as if he woke up from a fever dream. Using the slab to help him stand up, there was a weak smirk on Sep's face.

"And here I thought dwarven ale was strong." He joked though his legs still seemed to shiver a bit and he kept holding onto that slab of rock like his life depended on it.

Arrahel gave a calm smile and sighed slightly, crossing his arms as he gave an open calm as the other two emerged fully conscious. He then spoke up, his voice rather calm.

"You've all survived the Joining- this is a rare and prosperous sight. I hope all of you understand that events like this are nothing short of blessings from the Maker Himself. Now, each of you, step forward and bow your heads."

As they did so, the Warden-Commander draped one of the amulets around each of their necks before motioning for them to stand, pulling his own identical (if not slightly beat-up) amulet from under his armor and tunic for the others to see as it rested around his neck, the man speaking up once more.

"These amulets are known as 'Wardens Oath' pendants- they are symbols of your new rank and office. Within each pendant is a small amount of the Joining concoction and on the back is the phrase 'I remember you.' As such, they are not only our symbols of office, but a way to honor and remember our fellow Grey Wardens who have died, as well as the Warden-Recruits who have failed the Joining."

Arrahel then turned his amulet around to reveal the names of his kith who had failed the Joining and had died in his company carved onto the back as he continued to speak, setting it back after a moment.

"When you die, the seal on the amulet will be broken and the concoction remnant will be poured into a fire. Keep this amulet on you at all times, and speak no details of the Joining to anyone you do not see here. From now own, you join me in living by our ancient motto; 'In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.' It is with no small amount of pride that, by my authority as Commander of the Grey, I hereby grant all three of you the rank and the title of Grey Warden. Congratulations!"

It didn't take long for the others to come too, thankfully. Oskar took the amulet in his hand, the pad of his thumb brushing almost reverently across its smooth front. It would serve as both a reminder of what had happened, and a warning of what was to come. What he had walked into - willingly. He did not regret it, but he wondered if he'd taken the offer on any other day.

With a smile, Oskar looked up to his companions once the ritual was complete. "I believe this is an event worth celebrating." He turned to Arrahel. "I don't suppose the Wardens have a tradition following the Joining, do they?"

"We should drink," Kahra suggested, a grin on her face. "Drink and eat to our heart's content. I still haven't the opportunity to drink another bottle of wine after Saal turned me away."

"If you plan to drink a whole bottle you might have a problem." Septimus said offhandedly as he inspected his Oath. "That said, I wouldn't be opposed to some food and drinks. Haven't had a bite since this morning and I could use something to wash this stench out of my throat, the stronger the better." He faced the others expectantly but mainly the Warden-Commander. "So? Any such tradition or should we start one right here and now?"

Arrahel chuckled, crossing his arms as he spoke up. "My old commander's tradition for the Warden-Recruits to refrain from eating beforehand not only to make the Joining more potent- at least, so he believed- and to allow for a large feat afterwards. Come, my friends- I do believe it is more than time to have your first meal as Grey Wardens! After all, Dalish fare is rather delicious. Let's go and dig in!"

Once Letif had finished setting up his own tent and anything else he would need to stay the night, he would soon find himself looking for something to do. At first he thought about just spending the time on his own or doing some practicing, but soon enough the Warden would call over some of the others for the ritual they would be doing. Letif had no interest in learning about it so he would keep his distance and start to help with the body burning. The wind seemed to carry the foul stench everywhere it went, providing no cover for the adventurers noses. It seemed a small group had formed around one of the elve's as he had some wine bottles he was drinking from, that soon drew most of the others attention.

Once the Joining started, only the elf know as Saal and the dwarf known as Gwinnis, stayed behind to continue burning the dark spawn corpes. Out of curiousity he approached them both and would attempt to start up a conversation, "well this is turning out to be a better group than I would have first thought. You two don't seem like the typical save the world type, so what brought you along on this adventure?" He would ask before giving a quick introduction, "ah my name is Letif Connors, Im sure its obivoius but I enjoy saying it anyway, I am a templar who serves the order and the maker." he would add curious if either of them would comment about it.
@Childish Grumpino @Kitti

Bright flames danced orange over the barely recognizable remains of darkspawn and illuminated Gwinnis's face as she tended to it, prodding embers toward the center to keep bits from wandering out into the grass beyond. Her expression had been pensive as she worked, deciding whether she would need to gather more work to feed it while one of the others who hadn't chosen to become wardens watched it. When she heard Letif over the crackle of the flame, her head jerked up and she gave him an assessing glance.

"I like killing things," she said simply, a casual shrug of her shoulders accompanying the answer, "seems like there's going to be a lot of that." She settled down onto one side of a large stone that was currently acting as a seat for the Qunari as well. A disparate group, really, she thought as she looked between the lot of them. And that wasn't even counting the fledgling wardens.

"Surprised you didn't join up, though, templar. You kind of strike me as the type, but I guess not. You can call me Gwinnis, Gwinn if it's faster. I serve myself, usually ale."

The warmth of the fire had been pleasant at first but her toes were starting to get a little toasty in the boots. Not that she wasn't grateful for the fire. Sure, it was literally a flaming beacon to anything that might want to find her but it was hard not to associate it with safety and security. At least if something tried to eat her here, she'd know where to hit it. She wondered if the Legionnaires in the Dark Roads felt the same and felt a nostalgic stirring. It wasn't so different, really, sitting in the dark by the fire burning darkspawn with her fellows.

A thought struck her then. She turned to look at the Qunari and her eyes were bright with curiosity, mirroring the flickering flames.

"Have you ever been underground?"