4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Urban Fantasy, Horror
COME ONE. COME ALL.

Venture into the wilds of Siam and encounter wonders never before seen by Man. Seeking workers for expedition into the unknown! Prior experience overseas preferable. Must be of sound mental and physical constitution, and good temperament. Upon completion of 10 week tour, workers liable for reward of 3,000 English pounds. If interested, send correspondence to Charles Green at 450 Harman Place in Charing Cross, London.

These sorts of pleas are a dime a dozen. There seems no end of countries to plunder and explore. The blank parts of the map are filling in. There are heroisms to be found everywhere one looks.

And you need the money -- don't you?

The World
There isn’t much different about the world. The year is 1898, England is still a juggernaut superpower and trade giant, and steam is the name of the game. Telegraph is the main means of communication across the sea, and letters are still delivered by hand. However, a dark undercurrent flows beneath the goings on of the world. There is war on the wind between Austria-Hungary and Russia as the Russians grow wary of the reaches of the Austro-Hungarian empire. And everyone knows, where there’s war, there’s crows….

That said, machinery has come a long way. There are now diggers and all-terrain vehicles, tanks and boats made for near every eventuality. War breeds necessity, and it’s necessity to have good vehicles and equipment. Steamships and trains are the fastest modes of transport possible, with the fastest steamship able to go from London to New York in little under two days. However, everything runs on steam power, as the gas fields have long been abandoned after the great Egypto-Briton war, with Egypt coming out as the victor. Telegraph is still the main means of correspondence with any kind of speed, though radio waves have just been considered as a form of communication. Much of the world remains undeveloped, though China has recently become an incredibly powerful trader. To the west, America remains a rugged, untested country full of backwater populists and Indian natives, a land of opportunity -- and savagery.

The only country in Asia besides China which has not become some form of colony is Siam, the Jewel of Southeast Asia. Boasting a king styled in Western fashions, Siam remains three parts wild to each part civilized. A small country with many ocean ports, it is heavy with jungles -- and perhaps untold riches. Particularly, the medical trade has become ever more interested in the rainforest and its wealth of plants,
which are used more now than ever in different medicines. It is even rumored that there is a plant in that jungle that can even stave off the ravages of death...
Roles

At present, only 9 positions are open on this expedition. The expedition organizer, Mr. Green, is looking for the following:

(1) Doctor: You are responsible for making the medical most of your pitiful least. As typical of these expeditions, men will be breaking fingers, slicing open thumbs, catching malaria, and complaining of certain diseases procured from the local women. It is your job to keep the crew healthy, even if all you have are toothpicks, gauze, and some whiskey. NPC (POSSIBLE ROLE)

(1) Navigator: Knowing where you are going is quite important on most expeditions. Those few which do not need a navigator hire one anyways. Your ability to navigate by compass or constellation makes you invaluable, and thus you can be assured that if there is a mutiny -- typically a healthy assumption -- you will most definitely be spared. TAKEN BY @Pahn

(1) Chronicler: Many an adventurer has found they lose the vast majority of their evidence in boat crashes, thievery, and encounters with natives. As the chronicler, you ensure that evidence is captured in photographic or written form on every day of the journey. It is possible you may already be employed by a news agency, or that you are a freelancer salivating at that three thousand English pounds. TAKEN BY @Red Thunder

(1) Cook: Napoleon once said that an army marches on its stomach, and this cannot be more true in an expedition. Often, you will have to make do with what is in the chuck truck, as well as finding food that will please the vast majority of the crew on this trip. You may find culinary creativity will serve you well once the stores begin to run out and lemur becomes the prime dish on the menu. OPEN

(2) Rifleman: You are the main line of defense against many of the dangers in the jungle, be those tigers, angry natives, or even one of your own. Without you, the crew is exposed to the elements and vagaries of the jungle. You will probably make very, very many friends. Unfortunately, you may also be the path of least resistance where danger is involved. 1 OF TAKEN BY @Kuno

(1) Botanist: You are the moneymaker of this trip. With your vast knowledge of plants, you will not only help the cook procure plants and fruits that will help shore up the stores you have to carry with you, you will also be expected to look for any medicinally important plants to collect and take back -- or anything unusual flora-wise. OPEN

(1) Guide : The hope is that where English sensibilities fail, your own savvy will prevail. Whereas the Navigator guides the expedition through maps, you guide the expedition through the real obstacles on the ground, like fording large rivers or recognizing the signs of dangerous tribesmen. After all, you can't expect a bunch of poffs to know the difference between a harmless ganda snake and a cobra. OPEN

The Skeleton

For those interested in any of these positions, please fill out the following:

Code:
[size=7]CHARACTER NAME || ROLE[/size][imga=right]YOUR IMAGE (Victorian photographs/paintings preferred -- absolutely no cartoon or anime images)[/imga]
[size=4]Medical Report[/size]
[LIST]
[*]Age
[*]Sex 
[*]Height/Weight
[*]Country of Origin
[*]Distinguishing Features (In case of postmortem identification)
[/LIST]

[size=4]Curriculum Vitae[/size]
[b]Work History:[/b]
[b]Personal Statement:[/b]
[b]Notable Skills:[/b]
[b]Notable Accomplishments:[/b]

[size=4]Character Assessment[/size]
[b]Temperament/Personality:[/b] 
[b]Psychological Evaluation:[/b]
[b]Possible Agitators:[/b]

I reserve the right to reject profiles for any reason. I may expand upon the number of people I will accept should good character concepts pass muster.

The Rules

The rules are quite simple:
  1. Iwaku TOS is to be upheld at all times. This includes all bluestar/redstar activity even within discord servers or ooc. This is not a starred RP, thus romantic encounters must fade to black.
  2. Courtesy is paramount. We're all here to have fun. Please respect fellow RPers.
  3. Autohitting, godmodding, player killing, etc. is not acceptable.
  4. Posting speed is a minimum of one post a week. I reserve the right to move other RPers should a character stall an interaction for over a week.
  5. Post length minimum is eight sentences.
  6. RL comes first! If there are issues, please PM me if you cannot post once a week.

This role play is still OPEN and accepting profiles. If you wish to join but do not want a role that is available, PM me a pitch of a character and we will see what we can do!

I am open to questions if you have any!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity but, is it me or has an IC post not been made in over two weeks?

Also wondering if the Rifleman and Botanist roles are open? If so I’m leaning towards the botanist role.

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Jax
Just out of curiosity but, is it me or has an IC post not been made in over two weeks?

Also wondering if the Rifleman and Botanist roles are open? If so I’m leaning towards the botanist role.
Sharp eyed, you are. Yeah, we’ve had some people drop out on us, so @Doctor Jax has been checking general interest for role-filling purposes.

• Thank You
Reactions: marcy
@Quiet This is indeed the case! We had finished a huge collab and we had quite a few people disappear from our ranks unexpectedly. The Botanist and Rifleman roles are still open, yes.

• Thank You
Yeah, don't feel deterred by the lack of activity lately. We're still alive and kicking...just waiting on fresh members to join before we move on in plot. We would hate to move on in the story and make it even more complicated for new ppl to hop in.

So I guess we're in hibernation right now? Idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
*burrows back down in a hole*

Hibernation is probably about right, seeing as we'll come back hungry and grouchy and wanting to rip things to shreds.

Or, you know.... just wanting to write. xD

• Haha
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kuno and marcy
Hibernation sounds cool :-) I’ll try to get a sheet up ASAP, just a little annoyed as my laptop is in the shop and I’ve been posting on my phone.

• Love
Hibernation sounds cool :-) I’ll try to get a sheet up ASAP, just a little annoyed as my laptop is in the shop and I’ve been posting on my phone.
Don’t let the bastards get you down; I post exclusively from my phone. :D

@Quiet I am a patient and merciful god. I shall wait.

But no seriously, I understand that pain. If necessary, I can make a parsed down more mobile friendly sheet!

• Thank You
@Quiet I am a patient and merciful god. I shall wait.

But no seriously, I understand that pain. If necessary, I can make a parsed down more mobile friendly sheet!

Nah it’s cool, I should be getting her back tomorrow. Well, this afternoon, technically. I’m actually finishing up a character sheet for another RP at the moment. Sorry hunny buns but I got a whole lotta lovin and it’s gonna take more than one RP to cook this sausage.

• Love
We are still open for business! If you want your pants scared off you, this is the place!

Henry Madison || Botanist
Medical Report
  • Male
  • 6'0" / 160 lbs
  • England
  • Preferring action as opposed to words and appearances, this ideology is made evident in Henry's appearance. Rolled up sleeves and partially untucked shirts are often the norm when in his study, where he will reside for prolonged periods of time i.e. several days at a time. When occasion demands sophistication, you'll find Henry sporting a bow-tie and suit jacket made of Italian linen. Being a biologist, his line of work often sends him to perilous places. When duty calls Henry will brandish a safari hat, leather satchel and holster for his pistol. Unless the man is asleep, he will be wearing his glasses customized with a magnifying lens on one eye at any given moment.

Curriculum Vitae
Work History: PhD in Biology with a concentration in plant sciences and a minor in philosophy. Worked as a lab assistant for a company whereas he would sample and package pharmaceuticals for distribution. Resigned after a year and a half to work as a manager in a greenhouse. Worked to maintain pest control, breed plants, fertilize, water and harvest.
Personal Statement: "Attempting to control nature is a surefire way to become god and is ill-advised."
Notable Skills: Green thumb, excellent gardener. Good at interacting with animals. Respectable tracker and cook. Adept at playing the piano.
Notable Accomplishments: Graduated top 5% of his class from university. Plant breeder with a track record of discovering various new strains that have lead to the development of some medicines. Works as a plant journalist part time writing articles for esteemed science magazines in England.

Character Assessment
Temperament/Personality: Very well-mannered and reserved, not aggressive in nature by any means whatsoever. Calm and collected, the voice of reason and bewilderment. Naturally curiously but not one to pry inappropriately. Enjoys sports and wildlife however not a fan of hunting for sport. Not biased or sexist towards woman. Not racist and does not discriminate other races. Can easily talk someones ear off for an hour about the fundamentals of nature. A heavy believer in Darwinism and evolution, opposed to most religious beliefs. Easy-going and friendly, not difficult to approach. Welcomes companionship and intellectual discussions. Not very optimistic and will thus come off as depressing or cynical.
Psychological Evaluation: Upon close examination one may find that Henry exhibits obsessive-compulsive tendencies. This may stem from following a strict schedule and implementing various habits over a decade that make studying and retaining walls of text and formulas easier for the college grad. Very straightforward and to the point, leaves no room for ignorant shenanigans or immature behavior.
Possible Agitators: Beating around the bush a huge pet-peeve. Cringe-worthy bordering on dangerous ignorance.

@Quiet Accepted! The Botanist position is now filled! (Very very nice - excited to have you aboard! I will message you a “welcome” packet soon.)

• Thank You
So now we just need:

• guide
  • cook
  • doctor
Bring on the sheets. We demand fresh blood

PLEASE. I BEG.