Tatyana Volkov | Chronicler
:Rachini heng Syam, Chao Phraya, north of Ayutthaya:

Back in the snow. Back in the square. The papers littered the ground, clasped in ready hands as tightly as a drowning woman clasps an unlooked for rope. They step about her in odd rhythm, as if joining some dance prearranged in celebration. In celebration of her. She stood in the town square amid the crowds, cheering her find. Cheering the report she'd returned with. Cheering the enlightenment she brought them. And dancing all the while to some forgotten lullaby from the first months of life, when all was new and terribly unknown.

"On idet ... blizhe."

But at the sound of Angelica's voice, Ana turned, surprised to find herself standing in front of her chair and leaning against the rail. The lullaby had sprung to mind as she'd laid eyes on the approaching ship, and seemingly she'd allowed herself to become absorbed in its hypnotic rhythm as she muttered the words.

"Matter? Nyet, Gospozha. This approaching ship surprised me; that is all." She gestured across the river at the item of her reference. It still approached, unabated. Ana glanced at Angelica with perhaps a touch of trepidation in her eyes. "Should we be concerned?"

@Doctor Jax

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: Pahn and Doctor Jax
qwfO9U9.jpg

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES...
"And unto the Chao Phraya the congregation assembles/ at the stone gates to Nakhon Ratchasawan/ guards [unintelligible] dawn to dawn/ the Noon/Blooming Star is their guide" -- first excerpt of the Tala-patra

Angelica frowned as she turned to look out across the water at the boat to which Ana had adroitly observed. She stepped closer to the gunwale to get a better look at the clipper headed in their direction so swiftly, and she felt her gut churn with the waters below them. She looked back to the Russian woman with an uncertain expression.

"I... I'm not sure, if I'm being quite honest with you, Miss. But it looks as if it's making for us. Perhaps we ought to-"

Before she could further suggest grabbing hold of her uncle to suss out the details, the large American was already striding across the deck with large, confident steps. His wan face belied his sprightly footfalls as he headed to the front of the barge where they would no doubt meet the other boat in a riverside maneuver. Angelica motioned for Ana to come along.

"I get the feeling you'll need to be here to record something worthwhile," Angelica mentioned helpfully.

Indeed, it was going to be an exciting, tense encounter. Charles had pulled Lung El's attention away from Ms. Flannery, perhaps a bit rudely. The two had their heads together, muttering to each other in English.

"...hope he'll take it."

"Not sure about that, Lung Green. He not a man known for patience."

Before they knew it, the boat was upon them. Upon its prow, printed in both Thai and English, read the name Rachini heng Siam. At the forefront of the boat stood a man in a pristine white uniform, sun-darkened skin, perfectly coiffed black hair in the European fashion, and - perhaps most notably - a massive burn scar creeping up his neck and pulling the side of his mouth.

"Ah, Mister Decha!" Green said amiably as if greeting an old friend, but the cold look in Roi's glittering black eyes demonstrated that the sentiment was not mutual.

"Papers, Mr. Green. I did not expect to see you so soon - and I imagine the Bureau of Resources did not either," Decha said in impeccable, if accented, English as he boarded the barge without another thought, flashing a piece of paper with the seal of the King of Siam embossed upon it. The Thai bargemen bowed their heads quickly with a wai, placing their hands together and bending at the waist respectfully. Even Lung El did this, along with a very quiet, very demure "Sawat Dee Krap, Naai Decha," the moment that the man put his foot aboard the barge.

Green, however, was the king of bluster and refused to be cowed. He removed a sheaf of papers from his unbuttoned shirt, and Decha took them in one white-gloved hand. He looked over the papers, before moving his eyes up to stare at Green.

"The last time, you and yours were an archaeological team. This time you are a natural resource team? I find this hard to believe that you have changed tack so fast," Decha said, unflappable as he handed the papers back to him. "And from the look of things, you walked into the office, had them scribble it out, and then re-sign it. I am not unaware that it is easier to obtain a gathering permit than a digging permit, Mr. Green. It is an offense of the highest order to commit plunder upon the King's Siam."

"Come, good man, I can't be wasting gas and daylight. Are you letting us through our not?" Green asked, irritated, and Decha refolded the papers.

"I will have my men search the boat, and I wish to speak to your...crew," Decha stated. "Starting with the seasick one over there. The rest may maintain their duties."

He pointed to Flannery as his men boarded the boat in order to search.

@Red Thunder @Necrowmancer @Anguissette @Jack Robinson @Kuno @Pahn
Roi tho Decha has arrived! He is not a man known for his patience, and he has a special hard-on for turning away European expeditions. And what is this about a digging permit? You're not a digging crew! You're a biological specimens crew! Right?

Decha will begin interviewing as many crew members as he can, starting with the ladies. Do you dare try and bribe him? Do you tell him what you know? Your three grand is on the line, so he needs some convincing.

Meanwhile his own men are about to start snooping around the cargo area. Unfortunately, for Peter, Abe, and Roland, it turns out there weren't just guns and onions back there. Packed away in some crates are pick axes and shell casings of TNT (don't worry, this stuff is amazingly stable - but they may get in some serious trouble with Decha if his men find it). And there's the small problem of the 'runaway' that might be on board...

Last edited:
Flannery Thorburn | Botanist
Aboard a boat. Again.
Oh bless whatever unfortunate gods were looking down on them right now. She glanced to the guide. "That would be wonderful," she groaned. "Both. Either. Anything you've got that's good for this," she rubbed her face, shoving her frizzled hair off of her sweat-stricken forehead. She glanced over, brow furrowing as... a commotion started. Another boat? What was that? She grunted as Lung El was pulled to the side, but patiently waited. She should have packed some herself- or at least gotten more. She'd burned through a lot of what she'd brought over seas on the previous boat ride- she felt like a idiot for not getting more for this one.

Flannery rested her elbow against the railing, trying to hold back a mouthful of bile as she watched the other boat pull up beside their own. Great. Trouble. She narrowed her eyes, a look of displeasure plastering itself to her already unhappy and seasick-stricken face. Paperwork, yadda yadda... and could it go smoothly and could they just get back to where they were going? No. They had to stop, and search the boat, and trap Flannery on this rocking hunk of metal for even longer.

And to make it worse, for some reason, Mr. Fancy Pants wanted to talk to her. First. Flannery turned begrudgingly, trying her best to straighten herself out and make herself as presentable as she could. She leaned back against the railing, placing a hand on her jutted-out hip in irritation.

"And how can I help you, Mr..." She trailed off, looking him over uneasily. "Decha... was it...?" She covered her mouth for a moment, trying to hold back another hiccup of vomit. "Since you can clearly see, i'm not exactly in the place for a long conversation, so if you would pardon my attitude but I'd like to make this quick else I might lose my stomach over that lovely white suit of yours."

@Doctor Jax

Kannika | Guide
:Rachini heng Syam, Chao Phraya, the Guard and the Merchantman:

Kannika trailed Mister Greene from his cabin to the site of the Rachini heng Syam with a face that showed no signs of her inner trepidation. The large American seemed utterly convinced that he had the power to bamboozle his way past anyone, and out of anything. While she read him as being true to his word once given - not like certain kee ngok' ai Chinamen - this was more a matter of profit than principle. Everything about the man spoke to her of a concern for his reputation as much as his family and that he be found to be trustworthy and good to do business with in order that more people should with to do business with him. A man of buy-and-sell, of the art of the deal.

In contrast the immaculately outfitted man with the darkened complexion who stepped aboard was all rigid iron, and just as incorruptible. She bowed her head and bent along with the rest, two paces behind and between Lung El and Mister Greene where she could just see Decha and be seen by him. "Sawat Dee Ka, Naai Decha," she murmured respectfully before fading among the bargemen at the sides of the great royal barge. She hoped he hadn't underestimated the man, and wouldn't offer him something so crass as a bribe. Even the great incorruptible could be influenced, but he was extremely touchy about his reputation and would swim twenty miles in crocodile infested waters to catch out some of the waipepo red handed.

Kannika did not share Decha's concerns, if it was not tremendous disrespect to compare her own small musings to those of the great man. It would be a different matter if the ugliest of the foreigners came again to casually loot the beautiful buddhist monasteries and temples and she ardently supported the Army's efforts to protect those sites and the monks who still worshipped within them. The vine-choked ruins in the jungles were only so many abandoned houses, workshops, towns and trading posts dotted along half-forgotten paths. What price the protection of what had been left behind? Were the dead going to stand and howl out a protest because their worldly goods were polished in some hapless lordling's viewing gallery instead of being used to collect snake skins among the leaf litter? The ruins and their relics were there to be exploited just like any other of Siam's natural resources.

For the right price of course.

Standing there between the shirtless bargemen she noticed something and her sloe eyes widened. The Naai's boat was the Rachini heng Siam - and so too was their own! Siam had many queens she supposed, but it still sat oddly with her. Like that thing her mother spoke of, diji... dejet.. deja vu, like when you saw something for the first time and you were sure you'd seen it before. Was it something out of her dream? As the white-uniformed men boarded the boat and began to search for forbidden artifacts she tried not to see the ghost-tendrils curling out from their eyes and ears and thought of something else. Of anything else. And hoped that Roland had hidden his golden child either very well or not at all.

Has Decha Botany Of This?
"If you will please, tell me your name and why you have been employed by Mr. Greene," Decha began. His air was frosty, an atmosphere of near-disinterest around him. His eyes seemed dead, black and hard as jet.

Flannery narrowed her eyes. "Name's Flannery Thorburn. Mr. Greene has hired me as his botanist for this exploration," she said, tightening her grip on the railing as she eyed him wearily. Short and sweet. Maybe he'd hurry up and leave her alone.

Decha raised his eyebrows, nodding his head in deference.

"A woman and a naturalist. How soon did he hire you? And what is it you hope to find here?" Decha asked, hands clasped before him. "You seem shrewd. Have you noticed anything odd about the expedition?"

"A few months back. I won't pretend I've kept track of the exact date and times. As for what I hope to find here is things that will make me money. Exotic plants and medicines are all the rage in the outside world," she grunted, holding her tongue. She glanced at the others on the deck, before giving Decha a rather bland look. "The oddest thing that's happened is being stopped by someone who thinks something's wrong. So, no. If you'd excuse me-" Flannery turned to the bow, before immediately hurling up bile over the side.

Decha's expression flattened as Flannery very suddenly emptied her (probably empty) stomach over the side of the barge. He nodded.

"Hm. Indeed. You seem to be more or less....indisposed, and I do not believe that I have any more to ask. You may be dismissed."

Good. Flannery spat out what little bile actually came up, almost forcing the extra noise in hopes that he'd leave already. She just nodded her head, giving him an angry squint the second he turned his back on her.

The Thai military official chewed over the woman's words pensively, though his expression betrayed no hints as to his current verdict. However, that was not say he seemed unconvinced - only neutral. Decha was well-known for his inability to be read, and that was more clear now than ever. He turned instead to another - the blond woman standing behind who he presumed was Greene's "niece", a lady he'd heard far too much about from the original ringleader when he'd stopped in. He knew he had no need to interview her. The blonde, though...

"Miss with the yellow hair. Yes, if you could come here for a moment, and I may speak to you..."
[/hr]

@Red Thunder

PETER O'KEEFE || RIFLEMAN
Had Peter only known how many problems there'd be on this journey, he would have kept his sorry hide right on the shores of Galway. He stared irritably at Danford as he, too, heard the pitter-patter of feet. The tell-tale sign of a brat running about.

Peter spat to the side. "Of all the rotten luck, I tell you."

He roughly set down the small crate he'd been holding, ignoring the tinkling of glass as it slammed against the floor. There were six crates of goods left to go through, excluding Danford's medical supplies. With about six auxiliaries to aid them, he and Roland had made quick work of the brunt of the supplies. But they still had other tasks to do before reaching their destination. Casting Roland an exasperated look, he pushed the crate over to the side. He would have to catch the tyke himself. He didn't dare entrust it to Danford, despite his overabundant enthusiasm. The man looked like he caused more trouble than was worth it, and Peter could already anticipate the doctor coming back saying that he'd lost it already. And he'd trust Roland with a child as far as he could throw him. Best he keep charge of that Satanic corpse on his person instead of a real, living thing.

"Come along, Taumai." Peter gestured loosely at the Thai rifleman working close by his side. "Let's me and you get to the bottom of this."

He liked having Taumai help him on things. Out of the the two natives part of their team, Taumai was by far the friendliest, with the other fellow looking like he'd rather pull his own teeth out than be bothered with the foreigners. He was a rather excellent translator as well. At Peter's words, Taumai abandoned the rifle that he was testing and sprang to his feet, no doubt eager to abandon the tedious work at hand.

As they approached the large stacks of crates at the aft of the ship, Peter felt anxiety rise in him like a storm. How in God's name were they supposed to find a child in all these hiding places? He supposed they could split up and start at different ends. But as luck would have it, they did not need to go far. The sound of running feet came from the area to their left. Peter looked at Taumai wordlessly. They both had the same thought in mind; splitting up seamlessly, Peter crept towards the right side while Taumai went to the left. They would wait, he reasoned, until they heard the tyke again, before springing around the corner. He felt like he was trying to catch a wild hog. Then, he smiled ruefully to himself when he realized that children, at times, could be precisely like wild hogs. At the sharp sound of footsteps again, Peter rounded the corner at once at the same time as Taumai. Instantly, he saw a flash of a small boy.

It looked like they'd caught him in the middle of a sprint. At the sudden sight of the two men, the boy careened to a halt, nearly toppling over into a stack of un-tied crates. His eyes grew wide as they darted between the both of them.

But Taumai was quicker. Springing forward, he seized the boy by his forearm and bundled him into his arms. The actions caught him by surprise; it was only when Taumai forced him down to sit on a crate that he began to writhe in his grasp. Peter watched warily from behind him. After some length, Taumai finally said something sharply in Thai, and the boy ceased his struggling. Peter shot the rifleman a surprised look.

"What'd you say to the lad? I ought to know those words too."

"Oh, I told him...if he no sit…" He mimed the action of picking the boy up and tossing him overboard. Peter let a laugh escape him.

"How he get on here?" Taumai asked, sounding thoroughly amused.

"I have no idea. I thought you lot were keeping an eye on what went on and off the ship."

Taumai gave him a lazy smile. The boy kept his eyes carefully downcast. He was no longer moving, but Taumai's hand remained clamped on his shoulder all the same. Peter approached him slowly, watching as the boy's face turned up sharply to look at him. Fear was the only thing he saw in his eyes.

Ah, children. He should've known better than to poke fun at him. Peter's face softened automatically. "Ah, wee lamb."

He crouched down onto his haunches so that he and the small child were at eye level. He was a waifish little thing, his hair brown and dirtied and his clothes worse for wear. For his size, Peter wagered he was about seven or eight years old. But that could just be the neglect making him appear smaller than he should be. He sighed softly.

"Where are your parents?" He asked. Taumai translated quickly for him in fluid Thai, and the boy cocked his head to the side. Peter waited expectantly for him to answer. But he did not open his mouth. Not once. Taumai repeated the question, but still there was no answer, the boy instead staring intently at Peter.

"He no talk, huh?" Taumai's tone was teasing. "Guess we throw him back in river then."

"Oh, he'll talk, all right. He's just afraid of me, is all."

But not for long. If Peter knew anything about children, it was that they all liked the same things. Toys, animals, candy. Somewhere on his person was a peppermint, if he'd remembered to bring one. Fishing around in his pockets, his fingers closed around a small parcel wrapped in plastic.

"Looky here." He brandished the minted candy from his palm with a small flourish. The child's eyes grew round as saucers. "Here's a nice, sweet treat for you. Candy. Understand?"

Thai was not a language he was familiar with. He knew only a handful of phrases, taught to him over the two day rest by the hotel staff. Most of it he had forgotten. His brows furrowing, he tried to rack his brain for the words he wanted. There was a phrase he'd heard thrown around a lot that was similar to what he wanted to say, if he could just remember it right. He pursed his lips.

"Ow kha?" The Thai words were butchered mercilessly by his accent. And yet somehow the young boy was able to understand, nodding his head at Peter. At Taumai's quiet coaxing, he reached a small waifish hand out for the candy. Then, quick as a viper, the mint was snatched from Peter's open palm.

Peter made a crude noise. "Ha! Not so shy now, are you? I tell ya. Wave a little sugar in front of them and they hardly forget you, eh Taumai?"

It took him awhile to notice their ship had slowed down. In the short span of time the boy had greedily stuffed the mint in his mouth, Taumai had risen from alongside him and gone to the boat's edge. When the boat stopped completely, he only knew by the sudden calm of his stomach. Peter glanced up in surprise, noticing the rifleman hovering by the riverside.

"What's wrong, Taumai?" He asked. Surely they hadn't reached their destination this soon?

Taumai shielded his eyes from the sun as he leaned out over the boat's side. He let out a grunt when his sight yielded nothing. "Don't know. Let me check."

As Taumai padded away, Peter turned back to the child in front of him. He was surprised to see the boy waiting for him with his hand stretched out like before, an impish look on his face. He fought back a smile. How quickly children learn.

"Eh? You want another one already?" Peter's eyebrows shot up in mock surprise. "You're a cheeky little piglet.Trying to bleed me bloody dry, are ya?"

Something in his tone of voice and the wiggling of his eyebrows made the boy finally bubble up with giggles. Peter found himself smiling back, satisfied that at least now the child was at ease with him. He could only wonder how long that smile would last when the boy realized that Peter had no more candy to give him.

But candy would have to wait. He heard Taumai's quick footsteps before he saw him. Standing up straight, he turned towards the other man's swift approach.

"Well?"

Taumai's normally cheerful expression was clouded with some unreadable emotion. "An army boat. Roi Thoi Decha and his officers."

"Pah! What the devil do they want?"

"To check our papers. Search ship." The shorter man shrugged half-heartedly. There was a nervousness in his eyes that suggested the matter was not as light as his tone presented it. A ship-wide inspection, of all things, was never a good sign. He had no idea who this Roi Thoi Decha was or his intentions, but at Taumai's sullen mood he could only assume the worst. The Irishman's eyes drifted back to their little stowaway, who still sat obediently on the crate, staring up at the both of them.

Having a child aboard the ship would not look good by any means. He had to do something.

Last edited:
efEfuPK.jpg

CURRYING FAVOR...
"And unto the Chao Phraya the congregation assembles/ at the stone gates to Nakhon Ratchasawan/ guards [unintelligible] dawn to dawn/ the Noon/Blooming Star is their guide" -- first excerpt of the Tala-patra

There was the sound of a commotion towards the front of the cargo area as someone - a European male voice - argued with somebody else in broken English. A cursory glance would show Andrej, their usually more agreeable rifleman, arguing with the Thai militarymen wearing green fatigue jackets and a form of pants that seemed reminiscent of a table cloth wrapped around the legs. Despite this possibly humorous uniform - a mix of Western and Thai - they sported very serious firearms.

The child behind Peter seemed aware of the hubbub transpiring nearby, and he hopped off the crate, peeking past Peter... before taking off into the maze. Around the corner he darted, and should Peter follow, he would find that the boy had disappeared into thin air - a dead end of crates almost as tall as the rifleman surrounding the little cut-off.

"I guess, you come see, ja," Andrej muttered unhappily as he stepped aside, letting them through. Four men spread out to look through the cargo.

Without warning, a crate dropped down in front of a soldier from on high, then another, then another, all in different parts of the boat, all almost simultaneously. The fourth fell nearest Peter before an investigating soldier, causing him to leap back and shout in surprise, a Gatling-gun litany of Thai curses. A board had fallen off the side of the crate facing Peter, revealing something cherry red and rod-like, with the obscured words TNT on its side, while the soldier blustered and looked up. The sound of giggling could be heard, along with the pitter-patter of little feet, and the soldier blanched under his nut-brown skin.

"Khu...Khuman Tong?" the soldier muttered, and the same words could be heard murmured among the men.

Taumai blanched at the mention.

"Kuhn-Peter... I think you make friend with some ghost," Taumai whispered.

Angelica watched Decha interview the others with suspicion and vexation as she walked towards Greene, her footsteps ginger as her uncle seemed deep in thought, pacing the deck.

"Uncle... what is this about? You and father... went as an archaeology team?" Angelica asked in a low voice. "We're not supposed to be running into -"

"Angelica, please, this isn't really the time," Greene muttered, crossing his arms and looking over her head at Decha.

"Well..." the girl sighed, "We thought you would want to know that we have a heading. You and Father were a bit off. Mr. Turner will get you the new coordinates, probably some time tonight."

"Is that so! Well, we'll have to talk that over. If we can get this show back on the road, we'll be at the landing in another day or two," Greene said, suddenly perking up, looking at Turner appraisingly. Angelica felt her blood begin to simmer, her hackles raising. Sometimes 'Uncle' could be... goal-oriented to a fault.

"Is there anything else?" Angelica asked, her suspicions firmly rousted by Greene. Something just... didn't seem to add up.

"Not at the moment. Could you fetch me some water though? It's blazing up here," Greene asked, and Angelica walked off at a quick trot, steaming gently as she headed off.

Lung-El stood to the side as Decha finished his interview with Flannery, concern on his face as he realized that he had never given her the ginger and ya-mong he'd promised. The Thai guide passed by Kannika, wai-ing to her briefly with a nod, before standing a good foot from the seasick botanist.

"Miss... you never get the ginger. Do you still want? I get it for you?"

Lung-El glanced over to Decha, sweat dripping down his neck. This was a problem. Lung-El was all too privy to the fact that their expedition was likely in danger, alongside whatever money they were promised. He had known that Greene was less than honest, but he had not figured their journey could possibly end this soon. The guide had a feeling they were not going out to find 'just' a plant in the jungle...

Don't be Russian Off, Now!
~a collab between @Doctor Jax and @Red Thunder~

Ana bit her tongue at the official's summons. She'd been in close enough proximity to catch a fair amount of what Decha had asked Flannery, and more importantly, to catch the curt manner in which she'd replied to him. It wouldn't do to sass him twice. Though she desperately wanted to.

What what would she say? He was certain to ask her position among the crew, and apart from any potentially compromising information she'd already compiled (admittedly, Ana hadn't a clue what could be compromising and what wouldn't be), she habitually refused anyone access to them. At least, until they'd been compiled and arranged in a more properly journalistic fashion. She cursed herself for not sticking with her instinct and taking notes in Russian.

Feign ignorance, perhaps? No; speaking only Russian would arouse more suspicion as to her presence, most notably that no one else aboard this boat could speak it, far as she knew.

"Da?" Ana approached him with no small amount of trepidation, wearing a formally polite smile. "What do you wish to say?"

Decha approached the young woman, taking her in momentarily. He gave a curt press of the lips that may have been mistaken for a smile, though it could just as easily have been a grimace. He stiffly held his arms behind his back as he began his short interview.

"Could you please tell me what your position is on this crew?" Decha asked.

"Journalist." Better to lean on the truth, if only partially. Her accent continued to label her rather obviously as foreign even amidst the foreigners from the English speaking countries, who most often sent ambassadors and traders into Siam. "I wanted to write about a different country, something … something … un- ah. Unikal'nyy. Yes, different."

Ana frowned. Even with the payment, substantial to be sure, it still baffled her that she'd invested so much into what was possibly a futile if not fatal venture. The news of the previous expedition bothered her still, and if she wasn't so deadset on finding out what it was bad happened to them, she might have spilled every detail she knew. Yet curiosity was the stronger impulse. Sweat was gathering heavily on her brow, so she wiped it away with a handkerchief.

"I didn't expect 'different' to be so hot, yes?"

This actually seemed to amuse the man, who gave a tiny smile.

"From my experience, yes - it is hot here in the Kingdom of Siam," Decha answered. "Even for Thai men. We only hide it better."

However, he immediately resumed his aura of military intent, the smile disappearing as quickly as it had appeared.

"So you do not know why it is that Mr. Greene has hired you? You are merely to observe and record. What is the intent of the expedition?" Decha asked. "Do you know what you are looking for?"

"I don't know, I don't know, and -" Ana paused, considering. "I don't know. As you say, I observe and record. Of course, being very- ah, um- I don't know your country well, yes? I don't know what to expect. Except more of this damn heat."

She smiled sweetly.

"You have something to drink? Something strong, maybe? It strengthens a body."

"Nothing with me. I apologize," Decha answered curtly. "You do not think it strange that your benefactor has told you little? I would have suspected more curiosity from a reporter. Can you tell me what Greene has said to you so far?"

At the comment, her eyes narrowed dangerously. It was one thing, maybe, for him to question the validity of the expedition. It was a far other thing for this sukin syn to insinuate that she, Tatyana Volkov, the Gonchaya of the Narodnaya Pravda, was doing her job poorly.

"Nyet." The comment was in reality almost certainly an off hand one, a simple observation from a man speaking aloud. But it had brought the Hound to the surface, and now she was defending her pride, as years on the streets of St. Petersburg had taught her to do. "I fail to see why I should, since you tak grubo ostanovil nas. This is a river, well outside of any city, and our boat is interfering with no one. Actual crime is happening on the streets, yes? Or maybe you usually patrol a desk."

Decha remained quite stolid, hands folded in front of him as he waited out her tirade, eyebrows just barely dipped down past their original position.

"My apologies. I have not introduced myself accordingly to you or what it is that I plan to do. It is a crime to plunder the Thai peoples' of their history, their temples, and their treasures, which rightly belong to the King and his subjects, Miss. And your Mr. Greene--"

And Decha cast a notably unhappy glance at the aforementioned man.

"--is an American with few scruples. His allegiance is to his dollar, and mine is to my King. As you do your job with passion, so must I. Now - are you aware of anything else?"

Angelica's words came to mind, and Ana frowned internally. Mr. Greene was a part of the former expedition, was he not? Clearly this Decha had history with her financier, and despite her frustration and injured pride, she couldn't slate her curiosity. He voice lowered as her temper calmed.

"I think I'm aware of too little. What do you mean, 'few scruples'? What has he done?"

Decha glanced without moving his head, eyes darting over to where Greene was pacing the deck near the railing. There was an obvious unease in the man's shoulders as he heard a commotion with his men towards the back of the boat.

"It is strange that where he and his team searched, we found villages burned and artifacts or temples destroyed or missing. When we caught up to him, he had his paperwork much in order then. He seems impatient now," Decha stated with distaste. "And his partner, missing. Whatever he is looking for, he wants it - badly. And frankly, I do not trust him. I do not know whether you should either."

"Hm." The reply was short and utterly uncharacteristic. Yet Decha's report had made Ana wary. Certainly, Decha could be lying; in her experience, few people told an honest truth, and would rather twist, elaborate on, or neuter the truth to suit their own ends. And her gut rarely led her wrong.

She wanted to press more, dig deeper into his claims of fire and theft and destruction. Yet there were more immediate concerns, and it felt as though Decha wasn't too likely to elaborate further. If in fact he even had additional details. Instead, Ana shifted her weight, suddenly feeling trepidation about the crew's rather precarious procedural predicament.

"What will you do, then, if you find legal reason to cease- erm, halt this boat? What will you do with us?"

Decha's expression was steel embodied in human flesh.

"You shall go back to the port from which you came, and Mr. Greene as the financier will be fined accordingly. If you resist, you individually shall also be fined and possibly face imprisonment. As I said - in Kgae Siam, we take graverobbing and looting quite seriously. Tis an offense to our ancestors," Decha stated with little fanfare, simple as daylight and twice as stark. "Any pay you might have received may also be subject to detainment."

"It's good that I am here of my own accord, then, da? Any Russian news story about the jungles of Siam would not do an American any good.

"I will do what you wish." She pressed a sleeve to her forehead to keep the gathering sweat from her eyes. Smiling, Ana offered her hand to shake, showing honesty in her words. "Meanwhile, I will be taking notes on the chrezmernoye i neumestnoye way you and your team do your business."

Decha's eyebrows raised once more in surprise, though he accepted the offered hand and shook it. He inclined his head and stated, "Your cooperation is appreciated very well, Miss. We shall try to make short work of the ship.

"Now," he intoned, less to anyone in particular and more to himself, "what happened to that y'all Englishman?"

He stepped off with a measured purpose, leaving Ana alone to consider just who it was she had signed on with.

Last edited:
Erwin Carlton Turner
Rachini heng Syam, Chao Phraya | | Alive | | With: Roi tho Decha @Doctor Jax

At the mention of Englishman, Erwin felt his throat tighten and he took a step forward. Hiding behind the crew members was not very manly, and he clutched his notes in one hand while his other one wiped his forehead and temple with an already damp handkerchief. In truth the navigator knew nothing about the Siam politics and how strict they were with Europeans, or that there were some things to plunder deep in the jungle.

"Yes, good sir, that would be me." He stuffed the handkerchief in his pocket and held out his hand to the man who'd introduced himself as Decha. "I'm Erwin Turner."

Decha looked down at the hand offered to him, and for a moment, he seemed to contemplate passing up on the gesture, but after a bit of thought, he took the hand before him. Decha's surprisingly cool, soft hand met Erwin's.

"Decha. I am with the Royal Military. You have soft hands - obviously not a common dock hand. What are you to the expedition?" he asked.

A flash of surprise crossed Erwin's eyes; he had not expected a military man to have hands as soft as his. He knew it was a dead giveaway about the way he lived his life, and for a moment he wondered if Decha had a rare fortunate life here in Siam.

After shaking it with unflinching confidence, the navigator took his hand back and stood straight, eyes staring right into the other man's. "I am but a scholarly head, not much of a common dock hand. I'm the navigator of this expedition, I calculate and estimate our course of direction with the stars. Perhaps a bit overwhelming for those who are unfamiliar with mathematics and astronomy, so I suppose this is why Mr. Greene was in need of someone like me." The statement was true - Erwin was positive that was the only reason he was here, and not for anything nefarious their financier had failed to mention.

Decha, however, did not deign to let his thoughts be known on the matter. His eyes revealed nothing more than their inky color, his mouth set in a slight frown.

"As navigator, you know your destination, then," Decha said.

Erwin gave half a nod, half a shrug. "Not really, to be perfectly honest. I read the star charts, not the landmarks. I simply tell those who know the land which direction we are headed. North, south, all that sort of stuff. I've been studying this hemisphere's star charts, you understand, as they are not quite the same as in England."

Decha's eyes seemed to glimmer slightly under the hot, afternoon sun at this mention. There was a strange sort of interest in his gaze.

"Is that so. So are you aware of what it is you are looking for exactly? Or is that a mystery to you as well? Do you know where exactly you are headed, in which direction?" Decha asked quietly, his voice lowered deliberately. "Because from my previous talks with those aboard this vessel, no one is quite sure what it is you are all after... only that it will cost much ngun -- money."

Decha rubbed his fingers together in the universal sign for currency, head slightly dipped in confidentiality.

The Englishman screwed his mouth and shrugged, his expression betraying the fact that he indeed did not know anything about this expedition. He kept his eyes fixed into Decha's and lowered his voice so it wouldn't carry over. "If I may, sir, I do not think anyone here is quite interested in where we are going. Even the women, they are here for the money. Pretty coins blind even the most scrupulous of men."

The navigator cleared his throat and forced a polite but tight smile on his face. "I do not have my directions just yet, I believe Mr. Greene will be giving those out in the next few days."

Decha was quiet, eyes still resting upon the foreigner's face, though he did briefly look the man up and down as if appraising how much honesty he contained.

"Shrewd observation," Decha admitted. "And it seems that no one is quite sure what this entire expedition is about necessarily. Cannot to get a single word of what you all hope to find."

The moment of almost broken English betrayed Decha's frustration.

"But as to be expected when you are looking for something....exceedingly valuable. And perhaps dangerous."

"I believe you are correct, sir. It is quite as expected, and I highly doubt anyone knows more about this expedition. We have all been hired for specific jobs, from personal protection to someone who hopefully not poison us with food." The Englishman shrugged and pulled his handkerchief out to wipe some sweat off his forehead. Standing out in the sun like this with barely any wind to cool off wasn't his idea of enjoyment, and the note of impatience in his last few words betrayed that as well.

Decha paused as he looked off the boat for a moment, his mind lost in thought as he considered something.

"You... are right, Khun Turner. I fear that you will learn quickly what it is you are searching for, though considering what kind of man you are - I am not so sure you are ready to face such things," Decha stated cryptically.

The handkerchief fell to the ground as Erwin stared in confusion at Decha. "Pardon?" He quickly bent over to pick up the piece of fabric from the floor.

Within a few seconds, the gentleman had reigned in the storm of emotions on his face and he chuckled as he placed his handkerchief back in his pocket. "I trust we will be here for quite an adventure then."

"An adventure..." Decha muttered in echo, watching Erwin pick up the handkerchief he had dropped in his fit of perplexity. The man seemed pensive, though his face remained blank as ever. "...perhaps. I merely warn you that..."

And here, Decha paused, as he thought of what it was that he should say. He seemed to be fighting with the words he wanted to speak.

Eventually one side won out, and he said, "...should you be caught with your compatriots at any sites of historical significance with other things in hand, it is likely you shall also be reprimanded."

"Of course. Thank you for your... Word of caution." The navigator's smile was still tight and his eyes revealed nothing (perhaps because he indeed knew nothing of such an ominous nature). "Was my assistance still required? There are some star charts that are begging for my attention and I wish to make use of the sunlight as much as possible..."

Decha shook his head shortly, waving blithely that the man could take his leave now. The short Asian investigator stood at parade rest, looking as if he had quite a bit on his mind as he digested the information he'd been given by all aboard.

With a polite nod and very light bow, Erwin took his leave and quickly headed back down to his room. If he'd meet any of the company on his way, he would let them know about the Decha's questions. He wasn't entirely sure why, but he had a bad feeling about this. Flickers of the dream that had obsessed him for the past three days flashed in his mind and he held onto them for dear life, using them as anchors as proof that the Mighty Lord had greater plans for him than to die in the middle of the jungle.

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: Kuno and Doctor Jax

At first, he did not understand.

Pandemonium threatened to engulf the back of the ship. His little stowaway had vanished into thin air, and now there were rumors of a ghost about. Crates had come crashing down all around the Thai soldiers and auxiliaries alike, spooking the men through and through. Supplies spilled seamlessly across the deck. Bottles, food stuffs, some of poor Danford's medical supplies. A few liquor bottles had spilled out of a crate and rolled across deck, one of them rested against his foot neatly. Chaos, chaos everywhere. And yet, in the midst of it all, Peter could not stop staring at the crate in front of him.

A board had managed to come loose from the side of the crate facing him, revealing the contents of something red and metal-like. Written on its side in bold print was English letters. Three letters, in large capital writing. TNT, it said. He read the letters over and over again, trying to make sense of it. Trying to make sense of why TNT, the TNT, was sitting in a crate in front of him, in front of his own bare eyes. TNT with a crew intended for flower-picking.

TNT. Like dynamite. Explosives. Explosives.

He did not even hear Taumai call his name. Peter looked at the crate with TNT, his eyes unfocused.

As a soldier, he'd learned to desensitize himself from his surroundings in a crisis. Even as his emotions swirled and roiled within him, he stared pallidly at nothing but the red rods in front of him. He ignored the panic of the men. He ignored Taumai's mention of a ghost; though God help him if his hands didn't tremble still at the thought--a ghost, of all things! He even ignored his own outraged objections. Because at that moment, with the same clarity that he realized that crate did not belong on their boat, he also knew that if the soldiers found it, his three thousand pounds were as good as gone. He had to act now, and think later.

But what could he do?

The soldier was still close by. If he tried to move the crate, it would draw his attention. He could throw it overboard, but that would look undoubtedly suspicious. Was there a way to play off the items, perhaps? What should I do...what should I do…? At a loss for ideas, Peter began pacing, absentmindedly picking up the loose bottle of alcohol rested against his foot. Maybe he could disguise the items. Maybe he could tell the soldiers the crate was full of damaged goods, needing to be thrown out. They needn't open it, he would say. Damaged goods, damaged goods. But what could he do…? He had a bottle of whiskey in his hand. He--

Peter stopped cold in his tracks.

He had a bottle of whiskey in his hand.

His thoughts were formless. Without hesitating, he ripped open the top of the bottle and reached a free arm through the loose board in the crate, pouring the whiskey all throughout.

By the time the soldier's attentions fell on him again, Peter was squatting down, picking up the other loose bottles that had rolled out on deck. His movements were quick and furious. As the soldier approached, he tried to tamp down his broiling emotions. Just long enough so that Decha and his men would not know anything was amiss. The Thai soldier's eyes shifted between Peter and the other tipped over box of spirits. His nose wrinkled up as the pungent smell of whiskey hit him.

"You brought alcohol along?" His English was remarkably good, compared to the others. Peter straightened up from the ground.

"Of course," He replied, "although some of the bottles are spilled open."

"Huh. And this too?" the soldier asked, nudging the crate of TNT with a booted foot.

"Aye, the whole crate." Somehow he sounded calm, ridiculously so. "Nothing but broken glass now...so we'll just take it below deck for now 'til we can properly dispose of it. Such a waste..."

Some anger managed to leech its way into his voice by the end of it. The more he thought about the TNT's presence, the more angry he got. In fact, he was positively seething--his face was rapidly flushing into an unhealthy color, with a jaw set in a hard line. When he saw the lingering doubt on the soldier's face, he bumped impatiently against the box, so that the empty glass bottle inside rolled and made noise. It seemed to do the trick; finally, with a crisp nod, the soldier turned and walked away towards his companions. It seemed that they, too, were finished with their search, if you could call it though. After the ghost incident, the men had barely searched the supplies. They were eager to leave, and it showed; they walked, one after the other, briskly away towards the front of the boat.

The crisis was over. All of Peter's fake sense of calm was immediately discarded.

No sooner had the last Thai soldier's jacket disappeared from view than Peter tore open the top of the crate. Some tiny part of him hoped that he had merely been hallucinating, as silly as that seemed. But no; there it was, in all its gleaming glory--rolls and rolls of TNT rods, stacked neatly against a set of pick-axes. Rows and rows of cherry-red explosives poised to kill. Why did they have TNT along for their expedition? They were searching for a plant, weren't they? Isn't that what he said? Soma? Bombs and plants. They went together as well as a nun and a prostitute. The blood roared in his ears.

It was high-time he got some answers. Slamming the top back on, Peter marched away, back towards where the other auxiliaries worked.

"Where's Mr. Greene? Has anyone seen Mr. Greene?"

His questions shot out like bullets. He was so upset that he could barely keep still, nearly dancing in place with unrestrained emotion. And maybe the men could sense it, for they all quieted, even Muhammad for all his sharp retort. There was a brief pause before the Dutch rifleman finally spoke up.

"Ja," Andrej said readily, "I see him at front of ship, with inspector."

Peter was turning away even as the last word left the man's mouth. Away he went, rushing towards the front of the boat like an oncoming storm.

Last edited:
efEfuPK.jpg

LANDFALL

Decha watched the remaining crew with wary eyes, his features remaining stoic and unmoving. The man seemed in deep thought as his men searched the ship, and he walked towards Green. The American was gently teasing his mustache, looking miffed at the delay, and Decha was none too surprised. That always seemed to be the way with those from the New World - always in a rush, eager to go nowhere in a real hurry. He glanced at those who were still on the deck one last time as he approached, and Greene turned sharply as he noticed the man.

"Well, are we or aren't we heading out? We're burning gasoline and daylight, and I'd rather you give it straight to me," Green brusquely stated as he waved a hand to the side, his white shirt already drenched with perspiration underneath the unforgiving sun on the shadeless Chao Praya. Decha's eyes were hooded as he drew himself to his full height.

"It... seems that -"

"Miss Warren!"

Both men's eyes were tugged in the direction of the young voice - in this case, young Danford's. A few seconds after the initial assessment, it was clear what was the matter: for some reason, unclear to all, Angelica was running full tilt towards the side of the boat as if the devil were after her very heels, and in her frantic, madcap dash from the undercarriage of the ship to the bulwark, she collided with great force into another, also frantic body, that of Mr. O'Keefe. Something flew into the air between the two as Angelica abruptly found herself skidding across the floor of the barge. She doubled over in pain, realizing with panic that she could not take in a breath, and Green abandoned his enterprise with Decha to attend the young woman, Danford and Lung El joining not too long after.

"Angie, what in hell do you think you're doing?"

"Th-th-th... b-boy, grabbed my... stole the book and... and ran towards the water," Angelica eventually coughed out, pointing to the thing which had flown into the air during the collision. The palm leaf book laid on the deck, fanned out, a scant few inches from the bulwark, and Greene raced to pick it up, should an errant gust of wind rudely undo so much hard work. Danford, meanwhile, was checking Angelica for injuries as he gently bent joints and asked questions, quickly finding that she had sprained her wrist.

Decha in the meantime had not moved from his spot, watching the scene with guarded concern. From behind, a soldier paced towards the man before tapping him on the shoulder and muttering something in the investigator's ear, a phrase which for the first time moved the man to something like fear. He asked another question of the man, and the soldier gave his assent.

"Pí ti ni, khap," the soldier said. There are ghosts here.

Decha chewed over the situation, asking for more, and the man recounted what had happened prior on the back of the barge. Decha nodded.

Walking towards group surrounding Angelica, Decha stood over them and said, "It seems that you are... indeed a botanical group this time around, Mr. Green. I shall leave you be for the time being. Next time I suggest you get your paperwork finished well in advance of a visit. You're free to go."

He glanced at the crew on-deck, and he motioned for his own men to disembark, fingering a golden circular talisman around his neck nervously, the only outright sign of discomfort he showed as he stepped off the barge and onto his military craft.

The last landing of the prior team is surprisingly close. After some investigation, Angelica decided that it would be a suitable landing spot, as deviating from the already-trod path to pursue the new heading could potentially lead them to an impassable channel and become mired. It is not very obvious that the last team landed in the same spot but weeks before. The mud is thick and cloying, the rainforest beyond oppressively dense and heavy. Camp is made, and the barge prepares for its voyage back to Ayutthaya, the rest of the luggage loaded onto a single, 'parts assembled' automobile which could be broken down to its base elements, sporting the words 'Green Expeditions' painted on the door (perhaps the item of which Green was most proud).

Night fell upon the camp, and Orville, the camp cook, managed to make a palatable soup from their stores. Most of the auxiliaries sat around fires, telling stories, while Green holed himself up in his tent. Even under the cover of night, the rainforest remains lively with the sounds of animals, and Lung El has gone to look for frogs to cook. Angelica on the other hand stood at the edge of the river to watch the water go by.

It has been a long day, and it seems this is a time to digest and incorporate the events of the past few hours.

@Kuno @Jack Robinson @Necrowmancer @Red Thunder @Anguissette @Pahn

Hey guys! So there's a couple of options for you here. Obviously, if you still have beef with the Mustache'd Man, you can approach him in his tent. Or have a nice dinner of something mostly edible and talk with the auxiliaries. Or speak with Angelica, Danford, Lung El. Or do none of these things and blaze your own path! If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you need a diagram of camp, I'd be more than happy to make one.

I'll also be using this as an opportunity for an activity check, as I know things have been slow. If you're still invested, shoot me a PM, chat a little in the discord, or put up a post! (Pahn, this doesn't apply to you for obvious reasons - rest up! Get better! Kick butt!). If you're not feelin' it anymore, go ahead and PM me, and I'll take you off the roster. No hard feelings, sometimes that just happens.

Thank you guys!

Last edited:
camp

An apparently misplaced bowl of stew sat disregarded beside the trunk of a thin tree, largely untouched; Tatyana found herself too intellectually hungry to satisfy the body's nutritional needs at the moment. Back against the rough bark, she poured over the limited notes she'd taken. The incident with Decha had left her uncomfortable to no small degree, and every single page within her notepad had been rewritten in her native Russian so as to preserve the integrity of her thoughts. It was, she'd determined as the military boat had pulled away from them, a good tactic; a great deal of the notes she'd included since Decha's departure had been concerning her benefactor. Burned villages? Destroyed temples? Missing artifacts? She was plainly aware that both Green and Angelica had not told them everything about the prior expedition, but even the cynical Ana hadn't expected such dark hints to be associated with them.

It was time to check the validity of those hints.

Closing her notepad with a snap, she pushed herself to standing and brushed the dirt from her skirt. Her jaw set, sharpened pencil secured amid her blonde locks in an amateur updo, Ana strode to Green's tent. One of the auxiliaries, a lean and handsome fellow of jet skin, looked up as she approached to pass.

"Need a seat?"

"Nyet."

She passed by quickly, and coming to Green's tent, pushed aside the flap without announcing herself. Given his apparent overconfidence in himself, as seen during their initial meeting, it wouldn't do to give him time to gather himself. She wanted the honest Green, and the only way to get that was to catch him unawares.

"I have questions, Mister Green."

@Doctor Jax

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Jax and Kuno
HELLO, MR.GREEN, I'D LIKE A WORD (pt.1)
a collab between @Doctor Jax | @Red Thunder | Kuno

Green sat at his makeshift camping desk with a million buzzing thoughts. He was used to the background hum of concerns, as he had learned early on that being financier to Henry Warren was a taxing, unforgiving affair. There always seemed something falling apart or left unaccounted for, not the least due to Henry's wayward and scatterbrained nature.

But this was altogether different. He felt the thrum of half-remembered memories, of violence and fire, and they continued to nag, especially here where the group first set off from. He remembered the area, more or less, and something about that...was unsettling.

In front of him, the trip plans were laid out in as much detail as could be left to unbidden eyes, and he was lucky for that discretion, as he heard the tent flap fling back to see a young, inquisitive Russian.

"Miss Tatyana, I was just having a nightcap…"

He gestured at the one other folding chair, the only furniture besides his bed, desk, and the chair in which he sat.

She cursed in her head; Mr. Green knew how to keep a cool head, that was certain. Eyes narrowed imperceptibly as they examples the proffered chair in vague suspicion. But he should have no idea as to what she wished to ask; Ana was perhaps just overly paranoid. So she took the seat.

"It's understandable, after today," she acknowledged as she situated her skirt about her legs. Her left crossed her right in relaxation in the hopes of inspiring further behavior from Green; it looked as though the alcohol may have started him off well for an interview. "Though familiar, that Decha did not seem to be your best friend."

Green, himself, got up with his tumbler, emptied of its contents for what was perhaps not the first time. Yet, if Green were drunk, he showed no signs of impairment as he wandered to the cot where a chest lay at the head of it, a delicate decanter already sitting atop its leather surface. He gestured in offering to Ana, mentioning, "Tennessee whiskey, a real treat. Though I know you no doubt have a fondness for vodka - not that I mean to feed any ill images of Russians."

He poured himself a small, swilling it as he mulled her question. For once, the American seemed somewhat contemplative.

"No, Decha and I have no love lost between us, believe you me. He's a right prick where paperwork is concerned, and while I'm often used to wrangling with those who enjoy the finer points of law and planning, Roi is on a completely different plane as far as the devil's details," Green chuckled with an edge of sourness.

"Up to and including details of past expeditions?"

Ana had declined Green's offer with a dismissive hand, and sat now bolt upright, writing pad in her lap and charcoal pencil held betwixt the fingers of her right hand. It rested against the paper, clearly meant to avoid distressing her likely inebriated employer.

"You've been … vague, Gospodin, concerning your past. Villages do not burn in exchange for a plant, no matter how osobyy, yes? There are things you have not spoken of."

Her glance strayed to the papers on the table as she attempted to blunt the edge that had crept into her voice before turning once more to Green.

"Come; why are we really in the pustynya- the jungle?"

Green had by this point occupied his seat once more with a heavy flop of his body, and he took another small sip before answering, "Ah, so you have heard some of Decha's tall tales, have you? Miss Ana, what we're on the lookout for is very valuable, and that which is valuable is well-guarded - as I'm sure you can guess. You are a bright lady after all. It's a panacea, simple as that, and sometimes the natives of the area are less than hospitable to white men coming onto their territories looking for flowers. It is… a curious thing, I will admit it, as it has even evaded dear Sir Warren himself…."

"'Less than hospitable', you say." Pencil traced Russian phrases deftly across the page, recording Ana's thoughts and notes. A bead of sweat, gathered from her hairline behind her hair, traced its way down her neck. She shivered at the sensation. Or maybe at the thought of what a burned village would entail for its occupants that were 'less than hospitable'. "Yet, about this thing, you are determined. Despite local protestations. Despite … insurmountable ethical hurdles.

"You, and this … 'Sir Warren.' This man; who is- well, was he? To you and to Angelica?"

Green paused, and the pregnant silence seemed belabored as he swirled the drink in his tumbler. There was a strange air around the financier, almost melancholy - regretful.

"He is Angie's father. A good man - great man, really. Lost in his own head most of the time, but… ah, such a brilliant head to be lost in, and wasted more often than not," Green bemoaned. "If you could have met him… He was the mind behind this scheme. Him and that pile of leaves Angelica carts around. He found it, you know, out here. The Tali-patra: a sacred text of the Hindoos."

Green had really hit his stride by this time, gesticulating.

"He managed to decipher the chicken scratch on it, and he and I put together an expedition. This is actually the fourth such. The rest were dead ends. Not enough data, as it were."

The pencil scratched furiously as Green pontificated, Ana nodding along habitually to encourage it. There was much here he was divulging, so much information that she felt should have been shared to begin with. Scheme? The Talipatra? Three prior expeditions? Based on her short talk with Decha, she'd assumed there had been just one prior to the current.

"This journey … a lot of money it costs, yes? Given the generous amount you have promised each here. Yet not for the first time." She paused, dull end of the pencil against her lip in thought. "Why so much investment, time and money, for a thing for which there is, as you say, 'not enough data'?"

Green deliberated on what else he should tell the reporter, what was good to release to one who would then reveal their hard work to the world. He fingered his mustache as he smiled wide.

"Have you anyone in your life, Miss Tatyana, who became ill and you would have done anything to make them well again?" Green asked, going into his pitch. "The world is rife with disease, and the secret to those cures are in this jungle. We have it on good - very good - information that what we are looking for, this soma, can cure even consumption. The peoples who found it knew of that wicked illness and wrote that it cleared it in a week. Same for such illnesses as syphilis, gangrene, hemophilia. That kind of healing power… it makes the three grand I promised all of you seem a pittance."

"Excuse me!"

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Red Thunder
HELLO, MR. GREEN;
I'D LIKE A WORD

pt. 2
a collab between @Doctor Jax, @Kuno, and @Red Thunder

The crisp words came from the lithe form of Peter, who had ducked into the tent with little warning. He was much in the same agitated spirits as before, if not worse. Time had done naught to sate his mood, and it showed as he approached the two before him, eyes burning with an unholy light. In his right hand was a long, brown parcel.

"I beg pardon, Ms. Volkov, but I must say I've waited long enough. I've waited damn near all day to speak to Mr. Green and the Lord knows I've tried my hand at patience. But this can no longer wait." Without waiting for either of them to speak, the rifleman took the parcel in his hand and shoved it at Mr. Green.

"I want you to open that." Peter's voice shook with anger. "I want you to open that and tell me that it's just a trick of me eyes for what I'm seeing."

Green looked up at Peter without much amusement, his pitch abruptly stopped by the Irishman and his fervor. The long brown package was something he recognized, and he glanced at Ana. He leaned forward and grabbed the package, and he said, "I wondered if we still had the stuff from the last expedition."

He pulled away the paper packaging to show a bright red stick of TNT. The long wick seemed to wind down its body.

"We had some roadblocks that needed dealt with. We worried it would be a problem again, and we had leftovers," Green said dismissively.

"'Roadblocks'?" Tayana's tone took a small edge. "Of what kind?"

The small start she's taken at Peter's rather insistent entrance had been brought under control, and the consideration of Mr. Green's last words before their interruption had been as abruptly halted. Yet the consideration remained, particularly regarding the fact that he had dismissed Decha's reports as fiction without giving any reasonable rebuttal. And now with dynamite a piece of the ever broadening puzzle, she was becoming increasingly interested.

Not to mention agitated at her employer's infuriating evasiveness.

"Tell me, Gospodin," she intoned, the edge remaining. "You have someone in your life for whom you'd do anything? Including … say, removing any roadblock?"

Green put the TNT down with all the care of a brick. He looked at Tatyana and Peter, one to the other, and he laughed a bit.

"I see you have qualms with some...elements of the expedition, namely the use of explosives and some of its legality. The choice is yours to stay, of course. I just ask you trust my judgment, and if not that, then my pocketbook," Green finally said, laying it out.

"Trust you?" Peter sputtered. He had remained remarkably quiet while Ana spoke, but now he felt full to burst with all the thoughts piling up in him.

"Is that all you've to say? There's 'nough TNT to blow me clear back to Éireann, so it is. Trust you? You didn't see fit to tell me we had some onboard in the first place! Ah had half a mind to throw the whole crate overboard,'til your good pal Decha moved on. Had ah only the sense to do it now, God only knows. Trust you! What kinda daft idjit do ya take me for?"

His turbulent emotions made his voice distinctly accented. He was one stressor away from breaking into full Gaeilge.

"Ah don't care a whit for what you're gunning for. Yer business is yer business, so it were. But ah'll have nothing to do with that TNT. Let the auxiliaries take a poke at it, but not me. No sir. Relieve me of service if ya like. There's not enough coin in the world to make me follow along with such nonsense. No sir."

The Irishman looked as if he might say more. Common sense told him to leave, before he said something he would soon regret. With a vehement shake of his head, Peter stormed off, throwing aside the tent entrance and stepping out into the night.

Ana was not as easily put off. Though still glancing at the open package with no small amount of trepidation, and Mr. Green himself with no small amount of disillusioned concern in her knitted brow, she still had to know what was going on. She had to know just what it was he intended. Neither his judgment nor his pocketbook retained her interest at this point; only her insatiable curiosity.

"The … Irishman's concerns aside, my question was not answered: what is it you intend to do with this?" She gestured at the dynamite, a small smirk on her face. "This is not for clearing trees or thick underbrush, I think."

Green, who had been patiently watching and listening to Peter's long and passionate diatribe, seemed more amused than anything else, though perhaps this was an effect of his inebriation. However, his eyes appeared sharp and keen as he took in Ana's question. He picked up the TNT and looked it over before staring at Ana.

"Roadblocks, dear," he merely answered. "Big, old roadblocks."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuno

Peter found that he was hardly in the mood to eat anymore. Nor was he in the mood for small talk. After he exited Mr. Green's tent, he veered off immediately to the left, skirting away from the main camp and down towards the river. He assumed that no one would be over that way; perhaps there he could come up with a solution to his dilemma. It dogged him with every step he took. His mind seemed to keep coming back to one single, irrational thought, one that continued to hammer incessantly at his mind.

I could leave.

It wasn't too late. There was a boat leaving in the morning back to Ayutthaya. It would be an easy task getting back home. So, so easy. Peter's steps slowed to a stop as he reached the river's edge. The stars sparkled back at him as he stared up at the night sky. It was a beautiful sight; still, it did little to calm his nerves. Everything about this mission made his skin crawl. The TNT, the previous failed gambit, the dreams. The more Peter learned about Mr. Green and his endeavors, the more suspicious he became. Nothing was right about it. Nothing at all.

It was a long while before he noticed Angelica standing some distance away. In fact, he was turning to return back to camp when a dark figure caught the corner of this eye.

Peter's eyes widened at the sudden sight of her.

"Oh, excuse me! I didn't see you there, Miss Warren."

His gaze was pulled to the splinted hand cradled at her side. Immediately, guilt coursed through him. So many things had happened in the span of that day that he'd nearly forgotten what had occurred earlier, when the young miss had--quite literally--derailed him from confronting Green. He drew closer, the moonlight outlining his earnest features.

"I must apologize again for what happened to your wrist. I...I wasn't paying attention, truly. I was so focused on meeting with Mr. Green…" He drifted off, giving a short laugh. His hands wrapped worriedly around one another tightly. "Should've kept the ol' eyes open, eh?

"How's your hand--'scuse me, wrist now?"

Last edited:
Angelica Warren

Angelica stared across the sluggish water, her mind preoccupied. She remembered how, as a child, her mother would walk her by the Thames when she was full of restless energy. How she wished Mother was here now to do so once again. The events of the day continued to rewind in her mind, of the incredulous looks from the rest of the crew as she barreled into one of the crew's riflemen.

A boy had stopped her in the doorway of the boat, and she remembered asking where his parents were, if they were workers aboard the barge. Without a word, he had snatched the Tali-patra out of her hands, racing up the steps to the barge's deck, and what scared her most was the rage that had overtaken her. In the thirty seconds she chased the boy, she knew in her heart of hearts she would have strangled him to get the book of palm fronds back. Angelica did not consider herself a violent person by nature. After all, her father was an academic, and she considered herself of the same stock: even-tempered, logical, unbent by the more base instincts of Man.

Yet, her bull-charge had only been broken by another body, a lesson in Netwon's first law of motion.

Speaking of, she heard a voice, and she turned to look at Peter. The moon lit up his pale visage and genuine expression, and she raised the aforementioned wrist, splinted and bound, with good cheer.

"Mr. Danford, for all his clumsiness, is a rather good doctor, and I believe I shall make a full recovery," Angelica joked. "This is my offhand as is, so I should suffer no inconvenience at present. It should be I who apologizes to you. I'm the one who ran full-barrel into you..."

She rubbed her arm, the light sundress gripped in her uninjured hand as she gave him a chagrined expression.

"I hope that you could find it in you to forgive me. I... was so sure I'd seen a young boy make off with some research material," Angelica mused, looking back towards the river. "But it was perhaps the heat playing tricks on me. I have heard that dehydration can addle the mind, and perhaps I did not drink enough water today. Nevertheless, I... worry. This was not how I thought the trip would progress."

@Kuno

She could strangle that man.

Tatyana sat on the deck of Mr. Green's little barge, the ship's railing beneath her an unsteady but comfortable seat. For all the seasickness she'd gotten on the months long voyage to Siam, there was something about the soft dip of the river that helped put her mind to ease. She could like more clearly here; camp was too noisy, too active, for her to think properly. It was strange: normally she craved the activity, the hustle of people, their oddities and mannerisms that made them so unique from one another, for it energized her. Her tongue would loosen, speaking if its own accord, probing for the next big rumor that would run like wildfire. It was intoxicating.

But it could be overwhelming. Like a bucket taking in too much water, Ana needed to empty her mind and organize her thoughts. And for that, she needed quiet. Here, on the river, she found it. The insects found her, unfortunately, the only living thing in a few square meters filled with rich warm life blood. No matter how she swatted or waved her notepad at them, they refused to leave. Huffing in frustrated irritation, Ana hurried into the ship's belly, into the dark and claustrophobic but ultimately bug-free confinement.

There was a creak within that she hadn't noticed before. Appearing solid and unbreachable above, the barge by its shifting and groaning now seemed ... weak. Ready to split apart at a moment's notice by a wave of the slightest power. The sound was deafening, and she covered her ears at the reverberations.

It was fortunate that she did. The CRACK of gunfire blitzed through the ship's hallways, enhanced by the intimate space, and for the briefest moment, Ana feared it was the hull itself giving way. But as realization dawned on her, the brief relief that the realization it wasn't the hull breaking was replaced by terror of what the sound could possibly mean. Did she flee? Run for help? She looked back, contemplating the stairs. But no; she had to know. Cautiously, she crept forward until at last she came to the door from whence it seemed the shot had echoed. Raising a hand, she knocked once.

• Love
Reactions: Kuno and Doctor Jax

It was comforting to know that Mr. Danford was more capable than he appeared. Peter's respect for the man grew as Angelica showed him the neat bandages Danford had wrapped around her wrists. It did not look to be a serious wound, thank the Lord for that. Now whether or not Danford proved just as indispensable when it came to more serious injuries remained to be seen. His brows furrowed at her mention of a young boy, but he resolved to stay quiet. The ghost was another matter entirely that he'd been striving to ignore all day, and the girl's mention of it drew his attention to the barge bobbing idly at the riverside.

"Indeed. Things aren't going the way I pictured either." A massive understatement, if ever. Peter gave her a wan smile, shrugging a little. "But I wouldn't worry your pretty little head none. Circumstances change, plans derail. You can't account for everything. Can't mind everyone, either. "

Boy, who was he telling? He'd be dead before they reached their destination, worrying over these godforsaken people. What he needed to do was start taking his own advice for a change. It's just that…

Peter toed the ground, lost in a mire of thoughts. It was not long before he decided to leave. The night's watchman would be needing relief soon, and there was nothing to be gained by wallowing in his own personal affairs. Besides, Miss Warren had gotten there first; it was only proper that he allotted her time to herself. The Irishman turned and nodded curtly to her.

"I'll leave you be for now, Miss Warren. Just...you be careful being out here by yourself," He warned. "Don't stray too far from camp. I don't know these woods. Don't trust them, either. Anything could happen."

No sooner had the last word come out his mouth than the violent shriek of a gunshot tore through the nighttime air. Peter whipped around wildly towards the sound, where it seemed to reverberate from the ship's direction. Impossible, he thought immediately to himself. There was no one onboard the ship; who could have possibly fired? When a second gunshot failed to follow, the man turned and looked in bewilderment at Miss Warren, as if she possibly knew what was going on.

He was contractually obligated to find out. His rifle, which he'd had slung over his back, was out and in his hands before he knew it. The cold metal of it pressed roughly into his palms as he swiveled about.

"Stay here," Peter ordered, eyes flicking to Miss Warren's face. He did not stay long enough to see if she would obey. A familiar anxiety hummed at his sides as he moved at a brisk pace towards the dark ship lurking at the forefront. It was probably nothing; a gun that had perhaps fallen out of the crates and accidently misfired. But let it be so, for he'd be sure to give the men absolute hell for it.

His steps were silent as he moved about the deck surreptitiously. When he felt confident there was no on deck, Peter made way towards the belly of the ship. The door separating the interior of the boat from the outside was noticeably closed. His grip on his gun tightened. With one free hand, he raised his arm and rapped sharply on the darkened wood.

"Hello! Is anyone onboard?" His knuckles pounded against the door twice more. "Is everything alright?"

Peter hardly waited for an answer before pushing through, rifle cocked and at the ready.

The Thing Behind The Door

The silence after the gunshot had, of course, become deafening, the juxtaposition of the bark of gunfire highlighting the very sudden lack of sound. The door Tatyana stood before swung open slightly, and Peter would not be far behind. Moonlight served as the sole illumination into the room, the sound of footsteps and shouting finally piercing the humid silence in the background as the tableau revealed itself.

The darkness made it difficult to tell what exactly had transpired, not helped by the cramped surroundings. The first sense assaulted was smell - gunsmoke, wood smoke, and something underneath both these acrid aromas, almost like a mix of cornmeal and offal. The source of the first two intruding stimuli was evident: a small fire stoked on the floor with whatever materials were readily available, a gun lying by a dark brown hand. A shaft of moonlight fell over the legs of a man, barely catching the glint of something in the dying embers, something golden and small and frail.

The Khumon Tong demanded the eye, unburnt despite sitting in the midst of what had been a fire.

The next object to grab the eye was the man. He leaned against the low-lying bed, legs propped up before the fire. His bare foot was next to the rifle, his toe still stuck in the guard. He was limp, head lolled back, with bits and pieces of gristle sprayed lightly against the thin bedspread and the back wall of the room. The dark skin immediately identified the man as Roland Greene, Greene with an e, rifleman for the expedition. His eyes moved to look at Tatyana with a wet rattle of breath, and he shook his head at her as well as he could.

And through some unknown signal, there was a change in his posture, in his eyes, in his face. She had caught his final breath, a last warning, and he expired there in the room with his eyes locked to hers, and he continued to stare beyond death.

The Khuman Tong lay in the pile of ashes with an almost victorious air, unharmed.

Finally someone else entered the hall, the boatman who owned the barge, and he began to shout at Tatyana and Peter in Thai, before spying inside the room. With widened eyes, he uttered a word and stared at the two, before going back into a hail of furious Thai. Luckily for them, Lung El arrived - having been close by searching for his frogs - and began to chatter at him, pointing off the ship. He looked to the two and asked with furtive glances at the scene, "What happen here? You... find him like this?"

@Kuno @Red Thunder

She had never smelled gunsmoke before.

The way the door had crept open in response to Ana's light rap had already unsettled her, the anticipation it engendered clutching her mind in the iron grip of a thousand possibilities. What had happened to necessitate a gunshot? Why was whomever had fired the offending weapon even below decks, and why would they compromise the integrity of their boat in such a reckless manner? Her nostrils flared as her heart raced, her frail frame involuntarily steadying itself for the presumed fight or flight. A thin trickle of blood traced a line down her line as she bit just too hard on it in vain attempt to steady her senses, and the tang of its odor filled the breath she drew.

No; the smell of iron was too strong for her blood alone, nor was it the pure smell of blood. Something else was mixed within it. Tatyana's gut seized, and her hand flew to her mouth to prevent the overflow of her stomach. The sight that greeted her as the door revealed its secret was nearly more than she could bear, and only by closing her eyes was she able to regain her composure. Death was nothing new; violent suicide was uncharted territory. Her eyes opened, the instinct to observe and categorize for later record struggling with and overpowering her better judgement.

Her eyes met Roland's.

She uttered a muffled scream through her hand, the terror finally coming lose from the edge upon which it teetered, and as her spirit plunged into the depths of fear and repulsion, her knees buckled. Ana collapsed to sitting, legs splayed out on either side. Her free hand clutched her body in an impromptu hug of security, and her eyes began flashing from one corner of the room to the next, involuntarily seeking the danger her body was so certain was there.

But nothing leapt forth, and there was no assault on her beyond that on her senses. Her widened gaze caught the glimpse of gold in the dying fire, and it lingered, unable or perhaps unwilling to move from the foreign item. It was- remarkable, this thing. Odd, to be sure; Ana had never seen anything stranger. She could almost feel her fingers trace the curves and indentations of it, probbing the secrets it no doubt held. The hand left her mouth.

Lung El's question demanded attention, and the suddenness with which it cut through the miasma was nearly as jarring as the gunshot had been. Ana started, and she looked up at him with unnoticed tears on her cheeks.

"He- I hear a- a ognestrel'noye, and I come. A-and- I find him here."

@Doctor Jax @Kuno

Last edited: