Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.

Five-Point Speed-Writing Exercise
Inspired by the lovely Ravenfrost.

Write or draft a story using the below story elements without pausing and trying to not take over 20 minutes (you can rewrite or edit afterwards, if you want).

Who:
Who is involved? They don't have to be a main character.
  • A feline-like person.

What:
Include the below so that they're instrumental to the story.
  • A volleyball. Panic.

When:
When does the story take place?
  • Midafternoon.

Where:
Where is this happening?
  • A manor just outside London.

How:
How does it end? Include this in the ending/resolution.
  • Spear.

Melody crouched down in the garden and watched the butterflies flitting from blossom to blossom. She was waiting for the perfect moment, now! She sprung from her hiding place expecting to catch one of the colorful fliers only to be smacked in the face by an errant volleyball. Falling back onto her backside she glared up at her brother. "OWWW..."

Jake shrugged, "Sorry Mel...didn't see you there. Playing pouncing kitten again?" he asked extending a hand to her to help her up.

She accepted the gesture and sighed, "I would have had the butterfly that time." She defended as she rubbed her nose and forehead.

Jake looked at her then and felt all the blood leave his head. Uh oh, she was beet red and he was going to be in SUCH trouble. panic set in and he frantically thought of a way to prevent her from going inside where she would be seen. "I'm sure you would have...why don't you go back and give it another go?"

Melody pouted prettily, "Because you scared them all away you bloody idiot."

Jake looked at the flowers and noticed that indeed not one butterfly could be seen. Ok, plan B it was. "I'm sure if you take a break they will return. these are their favorite flowers after all. Why don't you have a seat there, and i will get you a picnic to enjoy in the sun..."

Melody lifted a brow, "What are you up to? You never..." Her eyes widened, "Am I bleeding? Deformed? Scarred for life??'

Jake rolled his eyes, "No, no and no...and yes I do..."

Her arms crossed over her chest, "Oh really?" she asked patiently, "Name the last nice thing you did for me."

"I..." he began, "I can't think of one but I know I have."

Just then their parents' car pulled up alongside the drive near them and the window lowered. A familiar female voice called out to them, "Darlings...company is for dinner...come..you must prepare."

Jake followed behind Melody dejectedly. His life was over. A summer in military school no doubt had his name written on it.

"Melody, child...what in heaven's name have you been doing? Your face is red as a tomato..."

"It is?" Melody shrugged, "I was pouncing butterflies."

A deeper and decidedly masculine voice was heard from the far side of the car, "Grace we really must get this child into counseling. She is daft and we cannot afford daft at the moment."

"I am well aware of that Reginald." Their mother turned back to them both, "Get in. We shall cover that up with make-up and pretend you realize you are a girl, British and therefore too serious for such infantile games, and that we are rely upon you to marry very well to ensure our future on this grand estate."

Melody got in dutifully with Jake following close behind greatly relieved he was not being blamed for this. The care continued up the drive of the quaint though spacious English manor just miles from London, but still retaining that country feel and charm.

Grace tended to the children personally, lecturing them and quizzing them on the formal etiquette they were expected to observe during this visit. The guest arrived and Melody was mortified to see that it was the Binghams. Percy Bingham? Oh surely NOT! She doubted she was able to keep her disgust at the prospect from reaching her eyes but she managed a sweet smile for his parents. She passed a suit of armor and brushed against it discretely freeing the spear it was holding to fall directly onto Percy's head.

She hadn't MEANT to injure him, just scare him but blood was running into his eyes from the slice on his forehead just above the hairline. Chaos ensued as accusations were made and doctors were called and apologies made. The Binghams left indignantly without sharing dinner and her father looked down at her, "Melody. You do realize Percy Bingham is the most eligible bachelor in the region, do you not?"

"But father...he is so..." her mind felt around for the proper word to use to describe what she thought of Percy. "utterly revolting."

"Be that as it may, you will visit him tomorrow with your mother and apologize."

"I will not."

Reginald stood tom his full six feet three inches and glowered down at his daughter, "You will. Young lady."

"But FATHER!!" she whined and stomped her foot. "I don't want to marry him. He is YUKKY!"

"You may change your mind one day." he said patiently, "After all you are only ten."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: The Mood is Write