4. Intermediate
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Mystery, Scifi, Romance, Yaoi, Yuri, Horror
tumblr_inline_p3ce149PCH1qhk0qs_540.jpg

" 'What is this fucking loser doing? Doesn't he know this is essentially financial suicide?' " Quoted Sara as she laid out on the office couch, her phone held tight. " 'LOL I guess I have to burn my shirt', 'wow he isn't even a pretty monster', 'no wonder he hid behind that stupid anime picture, only a monster would do that', 'yeah, well, he should have kept it that way'-"

"I get it," murmured Dante as he eased back into his office chair, staring down at the city below as he chewed on his lip, his sharp teeth wasting no time in making it bleed. "Seriously, stop with it. If all they have to say is negative, I don't need to hear it, Sara. Just... I knew this was a bad idea. If I try and delete it now, I'll probably just get called a pussy. If I don't, people are going to just keep commenting on it. I'm fucked here, aren't I?"

With a groan, he ran his hands through his black bangs, exposing his handful of eyes. Closing them warily, he grabbed for his cup of tea and took a large chug back, exhaling hard after swallowing it in one gulp. It had been his fifth cup in the last hour, which he had been mercilessly scolded over by the harpy. Setting it to the side, he offered a thin-lipped smile.

"... Hey, there are a few positive ones, I just think hearing the worst of the worst might make hearing good ones nice, yeah?" She replied with a wide grin, tapping her taloned foot anxiously. "Here's a cute one! 'I think it was incredibly brave of him to do it, it only makes his brand more unique'. That's nice, right? Oh, and look at this! 'I'm gonna save up some cash to get some of his clothes, I'm excited!'"

"I said I get it, Sara!" The monster snapped, though his greyish face slowly grew pink at the compliments. "God, there's a reason I've been offline for a week now. I didn't want to hear about this, a-and the fact that they're still talking about it is making me sick. I knew this would stir some stuff up, b-but... I dunno..."

With his own phone in his hand, Dante shyly opened his Twitter for the first time in a week, his heart beginning to flutter once seeing the notification for DM's. Fearfully, he tossed his phone to the side of his desk, his face now completely beetroot. "This was a mistake..."

Reactions: potassiumboron
Xavier's life, before the last week, had been pretty... normal. He got up in the morning, went to work, met up with some friends at the pub and then went home. Put simply, the young man's life was completely uneventful. Since his girlfriend ended things, he'd been more or less drifting through life. Sure, occasionally his eye was drawn to a cute guy or a pretty girl, but not enough for him to even consider checking out their Instagram pages, which was usually the first sign of him liking someone. For years now, everything had been boring, plain, tedious--

Until a week ago. A week ago, he was sitting at the cafe where his ex-girlfriend worked, having taken the plunge and decided that enough time had passed to approach her again, plead for her to come back even if it revealed him to society as a monster-sympathiser-- or, perhaps worse in most humans' eyes, someone who was genuinely attracted to them. Before the girl started her shift, though, his attention was drawn to the TV in the corner of the room, announcing the news that some great fashion designer, with a new, booming reputation, had outed himself as a monster. It was interesting, but he would barely care-- if he hadn't caught sight of the picture that had been posted.

From that moment on, he'd spent every second of his spare time scouring the designer's social media. He noticed the other had been absent-- but that was hardly stopping him going right back, mentally noting similarities they had, and then forcing himself to try and get involved in the things they didn't initially have in common. Fashion was the obvious difference between them. Sure, he noticed that the designer sometimes replied to fans, but that was hardly enough. He wanted to stand out amongst the mass of fans that bombarded his account with gushing messages and questions (which they at least did before his reveal), so he took up fashion. He changed his Twitter bio to proclaim his desire to become a model and he caught up with what was 'hot' for the season and shopped around the cheaper stores to find items that slotted right in with that. At least, he hoped going that extra mile would grab the attention of Dante when he eventually sent him a message-- and he knew that him losing some fans would help make him stand out just a tad more.

Every little helped, after all. The ultimate aim was to meet the monster he'd begun to obsess over, and he'd thought long and hard about the message to send. Eventually, after stressing about it and buying himself two milkshakes in McDonald's in an effort to calm his nerves, he settled on a message and pressed 'send'. He could have opted to gush about the designs, or how brave it was for him to reveal himself like this... but he didn't. Instead, he decided to send him a gushing message about how cute he was; about how he was the 'cutest'; how he'd never seen someone as 'beautiful' before.

He regretted it instantly, of course. It sounded ridiculously cheesy, but there was nothing a third vanilla milkshake couldn't solve, anyway.

With his head in his hand, Dante was on the verge of tears. For months, Sara had suggested he get some sort of social media management but he would always insist that he wanted to keep his social media to be personal - it was how he started up his company to begin with, after all. Before Sara could pick up his phone in an attempt to spare her friend the emotional turmoil, Dante snatched the bejeweled phone case upon hearing the familiar ding of his Instagram. Inhaling hard, he warily unlocked it to check the personal message.

“... are you okay?” Asked Sara, sitting up warily upon seeing Dante’s reddened face and tears eyes. “Look, don’t worry about these guys, yeah? They don’t know-“

“They said I was beautiful,” he whispered, cutting off the other warily as he stared at his phone. Sure, he had fans that liked his designs but no one had ever gone out of their way to compliment him for his own personal appearances. In all honesty, he was hoping that some of the positive comments would be aimed towards his appearance to at least stroke his ego a tad. After years of bullying, it was sad that one person on the internet complimenting him made him cry. Within seconds did he quickly reply, a smile growing on his lips.

Naturally, he thanked the other, adding a few heart emojis for emphasis. As he did, the harpy watched cautiously from the side.

“I take it that someone said something nice? See, I told you this was a good idea~” she cooed teasingly, her own frown growing to a grin. “You need to relax, yeah? I’m a good PR manager~”

Feeling a similar amount of anxiety when he opened his own Instagram to check the reply, he would have punched the air or done something equally as cheesy if he wasn't sat in the middle of an irritatingly busy McDonald's. To get a reply from anyone he fancied and had spent a week fantasising over would leave him ecstatic; to get a reply from someone famous was on a whole new level of amazing.

Now, he wasn't entirely sure that Dante would strike up a conversation with him. He was just some average Joe; a normal citizen who, really, Dante didn't need to talk to if he didn't want to. Though, there was literally no other way of contacting him right now. He could turn up at the other's building, but he would hardly get past reception. Besides, he figured that would make him look creepy, and he didn't want to be associated with that word. He still got upset everytime he thought back to his ex-girlfriend calling him a creep, so avoiding any 'creepiness' was preferred.

His only real option was to message him again and hope he made enough of an impression with his initial comment to be taken seriously.

'I mean it! I love your designs and you're inspirational, but you're far cuter than I imagined you'd be xx :valentine::valentine:'

No need to flatter me! :) It’s good to hear that you weren’t repulsed by the picture :heart: I might post some more in the future :)

Now, Dante wanted nothing more than to gush to this human about how much he needed this sort of thing but he was a millionaire at this point and he did have to keep an image of maturity. Not only that but the ring of his alarm signifies the fact that he had to do some actual work, along with Sara’s groans of reluctance as she pushed off the couch to wander back to her desk. Unlike the pictures he often took of his office, goofing around quite often to take pictures of the cutest cup of tea he made or his blooming flowers that sat in front of the windows that naturally lit his workplace, he spent most of his time alone in his pajamas with a sketchpad in one hand and some caffeine in the other - this was no exception.

That being said, the fashion designer kept his phone close. Amongst the hundreds of negative comments, to have someone so eager to talk to him made his heart skip a beat in excitement. For all he knew, this guy could very well be doing it to just toy with him and make him feel confident only to break his self esteem later on... but he was willing to take the chance.

“Oi, Sara? Can you send the intern to get another coffee from the cafeteria?” He called from his phone, his attempt to keep his smile from his voice. “I think I’m going to spend some extra hours on the autumn brand, yeah? I’ve got some creative juices flowing,” He cooed,

Well, okay, this was definitely encouraging--

Though that was at least where their communication came to an end, for now anyway. He'd love to continue to comment back and for, but his limit was about three comments, because he knew he'd get stuck in that loop and end up only being some fan on Instagram. For many, engaging with their idol like this would be a dream come true, and while it was nice for Xavier, he wanted more. He wanted to meet him and be around him and... well, win him over.

It was just a pity he was famous, because trying to befriend a celebrity was far more difficult than meeting some random civilian on Twitter and organising meeting up with them. He'd done it once or twice at this point, but doing that with someone like Dante? Almost impossible.

So, he lost his nerve, shut off his phone and returned to work. He could have -and should have- continued with another message, but it would be underwhelming to realise that it would probably be the only form of contact he'd have with the designer. He wasn't one for giving up-- but hell, this was a situation where giving up early seemed the wisest decision.

It must have been a shock for the other when Dante sent a simple ? in curiosity when no response came. He was a big designer, sure, but he had the ‘professional’ social skills of a teenager. He immediately assumed that the other had found something wrong with him. So, as he wandered into a local cafe for some coffee as he did for his usual routine, he hardly noticed the scowl of the human who reluctantly served the man. Once taking his coffee donned with whipped cream and chocolate dusted over it, it was no surprise for him to post a picture on both his Instagram and Snapchat in excitement - simple things like that made his day.

Daring to try and get his fam to react to him, he forward the picture to Xavier with another note:
Have you ever been to this cafe? Isn’t this super cute?! Seriously, if you ever take a trip to NYC, you should check it out :)

With a small smile, he briefly ran his sharp nails through his hair as a nervous habit in hopes to calm himself down and reassure himself that he wouldn’t be flat out ignored. If he did, he would simply blame it on the other being a human and easily bored with him, but he was optimistic enough to at least earn a quick response back. Not to be selfish but who wouldn’t want to talk to him?

The first message he received back was genuinely surprising, and he did feel like an asshole ignoring him-- but he refused to be pulled into some cycle online where he would inevitably be stuck in. He didn't want to engage with him like that, because it wasn't enough. Sure, most his time was spent online, scouting out people and learning everything he could about them, but that didn't mean he wanted to completely limit his interactions with them to social media. It was the stepping stone into relationships-- and he didn't want to be stuck in some online one.

So when he received the second, with the image of the coffee and a menu in the background, he felt his excitement kick in. Of course he knew the places Dante frequented, thanks to his habit of posting online, but he always thought he would come off as strange if he met Dante there without any former online interaction. Being patient and doing things this way was wisest, however difficult it was to pull off.

But he recognised the menu's logo; he recognised the cafe Dante was currently in. It was no more than a ten minute cab ride away. Turning up would be a huge step-- but the temptation was far too difficult to resist. That said, he was too smart to just jump in and suggest popping along - he needed Dante to offer so he'd be less likely to be called a 'creep'.

'Oh, I love that place, I go all the time! You should get the choc chip muffin, it's to die for! But you're probably sweet enough ;) xxx'

Oh, so you’ve been? I haven’t tried many of their food, I don’t think the cashier likes me much but they get my money. I have a bit of a caffeine addiction. I go there every day! :)

Letting out a snort of disbelief, he thanked the cashier (and received a scoff) before picking up his coffee and heading to work. Biting his lip carefully, he couldn’t help but giggle like a schoolgirl. With a wide smile, he took a sip of the coffee as he passed by other passerbys. The fact that the human seemed so... casual with his appearance, he couldn’t help but take a quick picture raising the coffee for a cheers.

I need to go offline until lunch, unfortunately. I hope you have a good day! Don’t forget to eat something :) Maybe a chocolate chip muffin~

Once at his office, he immediately hurried to Sara after greeting the other coworkers. The minute he flopped besides her, he couldn’t help but grin madly in excitement. By the time he walked to work, he was completely finished with his first coffee, causing Sara to roll her eyes with a scoff.

“God, you’re awful. This gross human gives you a few heart emojis and you’re more excited to talk to him than you were to hear that you made a million. No offense, sweetheart, but that’s pretty pathetic.”

Except, in contrast to the other's excitement, Xavier was genuinely upset. He ought to be equally as excited, more so, even, given he'd dedicated a week of his life obsessing nonstop about the man, but he found himself tucking his phone away and returning to work with a frown. He didn't really understand how to get himself involved in the other's life. He could turn up at his favourite cafe or hang around outside his building and act like he was simply walking past, but that was too... creepy, even he recognised that. He didn't want to come across as a weird fan who stalked out his favourite places.

The alternative was to continue the online chats, which seemed as far as the interactions were going to go. He'd wasted far too much money buying nice clothes and trying to update his profile pictures to seem fashionable. In fact, he had very little left in his bank account now because of his dedication to this cause... and now he realised that he might not even meet Dante, he was slightly horrified by how far he'd gone. He didn't have enough money to even buy himself a ticket to watch a movie at the cinema. If he didn't live with his parents, he'd be fucked right now.

Over the next few hours, Dante’s confidence diminished fast. He went from happily showing off Xavier’s page, it slowly turned to a buried face as he let out a whine in distress. It wasn’t a surprise for him, to lose someone who vaguely liked him, and he immediately blamed it on himself. He was a monster, after all, so why would some human like him? He was gross, just like all of the kids told him when he was younger. Even now, as a successful business man, he couldn’t even keep the interest of some average guy.

Once it grew late, he couldn’t help but take a picture of the night sky and the dimmed lights of his office. He spent many nights alone after hours and this was no exception. Over the Snapchat picture, he wrote a simple feeling lonely :( before sending it out. He didn’t expect a reaction, mostly because he blocked responses a few days ago, but it was nice to scream out into the void. Pursing his lips tight, he planned an exciting night of paperwork and fast food delivery.

I’m sorry that I bothered you, I hope that I didn’t scare you off. This isn’t a representation of my company, I’m sorry :)

By that point, Xavier was already at home, having had to reluctantly tell his parents that he couldn't put any money towards his grandmother and grandfather's anniversary party because he'd spent all his cash buying clothes to 'impress a guy'. Of course, his father yelled at him for being ridiculous, and while his mother thought it was cute, she also lambasted him to some extent too for 'getting carried away'. On the whole, he'd had a pretty shitty few hours, coming to terms with the fact he'd wasted a week obsessing over a guy he was never going to get a chance to meet.

This was why he'd always refused to fantasise over someone famous - it would end in heartbreak when he realised the impossibility of meeting them.

That said, Dante's continued interaction with him online was surprising. For a celebrity, he was strangely eager to carry on the interaction with Xavier, who was just some normal guy around the city and nothing too special in terms of status and class. He realised it was probably an expression of his loneliness, that he was clinging onto someone who seemed to care. Monsters didn't usually have any human showering them with compliments like this, and it did make Xavier pause a little when he realised that Dante probably wasn't talking to him because he found him just as cute. He could have a blank avatar and still have Dante eager to talk. It as a tad disappointing to recognise that, but he wasn't going to let it ruin what they could go on to have, even if it was online.

Though that didn't stop him changing his avatar on his social media to a plain white background nonetheless. If he was never meeting the man, he didn't think looks remotely mattered.

'I was busy with work, as I imagine you were :) I'm glad you caught me, I was just about to head out and my phone needs to stay behind and charge xxx'

Dante was no moron so it’s wasnt lost to him when he saw the blank avatar. His mood has deflated over the course of the day and, even when receiving a notification, the monster’s first reaction was to begin to tear up. He knew he was a bit overly emotional, Sara had told him that since they were young, but it was nearly impossible to just become heartless of her. Because of this, Dante had to take a deep breath to keep himself from seeming pathetic to some random guy who decided to give him some attention. Tapping his nails on his desk, he hesitated before responding.

That’s unfortunate for me, I really enjoy talking to you :) I wish I could go out but I have some boring work left over. Is everything alright? I noticed you changed your picture. It was nice to see someone with some good fashion for once. Well, have a good night. Once again, I’m really sorry

Cursing almost immediately after he sent the message, he buried his face back in his arm, only getting up when notified his Uber delivered his McDonalds. With someone like him and his paycheck, Dante could happily go to a fancy French restaurant if he wanted but, with how he grew up, nothing comforted him more than a 10 piece bunch of nuggets. It was pathetic, he knew that.

Rubbing his temples, he held back the urge to grow angry, a rare emotion of his. He fell in love just as easy as anyone did, so how could all of these celebrities have arm candy with him while he was still desperate to talk to strangers? He knew the answer was because of who he was, but it wasn’t fair.

Despite realising from the tone of the message that the other might have been a little upset, he couldn't help but feel a tad triumphant. He was happy not just because the other seemed eager to continue the conversation, but he'd noticed that the avatar had changed; he'd noticed his aesthetic and his appearance and he liked that?

It was hard to take a little enjoyment from it-- though he was quick to rectify the situation with a message in return. Provoking a little sympathy was a good start.

'I got worried that I wouldn't live up to your expectations. I can't afford fancy stuff you know? I want to at least impress you and I panicked :/ You're so cute, I just know I'm nowhere near your level xx I'd love to still talk to you!!'

My level? What level? I’m literally just some random monster who managed to do something right somehow. I’m a little bummed, you don’t seem to have any other pictures of yourself on your Instagram :( I guess I’m a bit of a hypocrite lol

Despite his casual words, it was a pathetic scene back in his office, the monster wiping his tears on the sleeve of his sweater. He wasn’t lying when he said the other was cute - you had to be blind to think Xavier was anything less than that. It was at least nice to have someone cute talk to him, right?

I’ll stop distracting you from going out, I guess :) I’m not a big club-goer, but your style is pretty club-kid. It’s colorful~ <3

You're not a random monster! You're the cutest guy I think I've ever seen tbh, don't be so down on yourself! I'll upload a new avatar if you think I'm not that bad to look at~ :valentine::valentine:

Xavier, despite knowing he should be in the taxi now and heading into town to meet his friends, made little effort to move from the bed he was laid on. He'd gladly sacrifice a night out with friends, spending money he didn't have, to continue talking with Dante. He was a little peeved he'd yet to meet him, of course, but he could easily accept this correspondence tonight. He didn't like restricting himself to simply conversations on social media, but it was better than no conversation at all.

I don't think I look that good He typed back after uploading a relatively recent image of himself, leaning back with a faint smile. I look waaaay better in person xxx

You look better in person? That can't be possible, you already set the bar so high u3u I don't know if I could handle being in your presence. I mean, I don't even know what I'd do if I met you anyway, idk if I even got your name D:

Letting out a heavy sigh, the designer glanced at the clock to notice 9 steadily approaching. Deciding to at least go home rather than pretend that he was doing work and not crying over some average Joe, he warily grabbed his things together neatly, the key card to his office neatly tucked into the pocket of his shirt. It was a bit excessive, to have such extreme protection with going as far as having a few orcs be his guards, but there had been three attempts to storm the building, once threatening with a gun - he and his employees all agreed that they wanted to, you know, avoid that.

Noticing it beginning to rain, Dante wasted no time in grabbing his umbrella before offering the guards a proper smile and goodnight to the two. Sure, he was more than well-off and he knew that, but it just wasn't in his blood to be an asshole and superior, hence why he tried to interact with fans as much as possible. He wanted to be perceived just like everyone else because he felt like everyone else. Before, he just so happened to be an incredibly fashionable monster who roamed the streets of New York and he was content with that. Now, though, he felt like some huge jerk, not to mention getting far more attention when he walked down the street - including slurs and scoffs. He didn't even look up from his phone, though, instead deciding to just focus on that - going as far as to stop and take a picture of a few lit buildings that cluttered the city's sky.

After a barrage of texts from his friends, demanding him to get his ass into their local bar before the free drinks they'd bought him disappeared, he threw on his usual denim jacket (an old favourite, no matter if it was in or out of style) and finally headed out. It wasn't to say he was going to ignore the conversation with Dante - he'd gladly continue it all night, no matter how rude it came across to his friends. He was sure they'd allow it when they realised who he was talking to.

They weren't fond of monsters (not many humans were) but they weren't going to judge him for talking to someone famous. Besides, he knew better than to admit he was flirting with the fashion designer.

As he pondered over the message, that of which he'd typed out and deleted countless times when deciding he sounded too cheesy, he glanced up from his phone, purely by chance, to notice Dante up ahead of him. He knew that his building was close to the bar he was headed to, but he already assumed Dante would be at home, curled up in bed.

Bumping into him on the street like this just wasn't in his realm of possibility, and yet here he was.

Deciding not to yell out and wave like a madman (because that was uncool), he instead continued to walk with his own eyes glued to his phone, acutely aware that he was walking straight towards Dante until, as he wanted, they collided.

"Shit-- Shit, sorry," he blabbered instantly, leaning down to collect the other's phone from the ground, handing it over and faking surprise rather well. "...Holy fuck... it's you-- I mean-- Fuck-- Pinch me, I'm dreaming, right? A-Aha... ha..."

Reactions: saturnia pavonia
"A-Ah, fuck! I'm sorry," he quickly stammered in return, naturally assuming the interaction with the stranger would end in him being beaten up if he didn't apologize immediately after. One night, after getting a little tipsy at a bar with a few friends, he had accidentally bumped into a rather beefy human who just reeked of fragile masculinity. Unsurprisingly, he was beaten up pretty bad - to the point of going to the hospital to get a few stitches - and the incident had resonated with him naturally. It wasn't until he met eyes with the other under his bangs that he paused, only to begin another set of stammers.

"O-Oh, my gosh - hi! I... I mean, hello. I wasn't - I wasn't expecting to bump into you like this," he quickly babbled as he slipped his phone into his pocket, the bright pink case matching his cheeks against his naturally greyish skin. "I really didn't mean to hit into you, this is a pretty awful way to really introduce myself, yeah? I... I mean..."

"I was literally just heading to the bar, I-- god, if I knew I'd be bumping into you, I'd have worn something a little more fashionable. I'm pretty sure this t-shirt has a hole in it, somewhere," he began with a faint grin, glancing over the other to the bar just down the street. He was now certain his friends would have drank the beers he'd made them set aside for him, but he'd gladly drink free tap water all night if it meant continuing a conversation in person with Dante.

"I'm Xavier anyway. I... obviously know your name," he continued as he pushed his tinted glasses (purely for appearance) up his nose, smiling a tad more confidently when Dante didn't hurry away. He knew he wasn't exactly like most celebrities who would make hurried excuses to avoid contact on the street like this with a fan, but being called creepy by his ex all those years ago still haunted him. He fully expected people to rush off away from him, as though they could pick up on the fact he'd scoured through every piece of information about them online.

"...You're much cuter in person too, by the way. You're cute in your picture too, though. Obviously."