Future Age ~IC~

The Lieutenant tossed the file onto the table in front of her before she put her face in her hands, wondering how the hell she was supposed to make this work in two days. Going out by herself wasn't an option, not because it'd get her in a whole mess of trouble but also because she couldn't just leave everyone sitting here like lemons, as much as they were irritating her already she wasn't going to just up and leave them here. 'Why me of all people... I am not the person for this' she thought to herself before looking up as the asshole from earlier took a seat opposite her, seeming to dissemble his lighter with a descent degree of care.

She exhaled a long breath before sitting back as she listened to him explain how treating them as individual units might be a better option. "Can't do that" she replied shaking her head, "Micro managing that way tears my attention in too many directions, which could lead to mistakes which could lead to people getting hurt. The issue here isn't teamwork, I don't doubt anyone here can pack a punch and take a glance over their shoulder to the guy next to them to make sure they're ok... that's not the problem, the problem here is trust. We have two days to find some semblance of trust in one another otherwise things are gonna get dangerous for everyone involved".

She looked from Hanlon to the Mutant as he spoke up asking if they could use their weapons in the training. "Most of the time yes, since that's what you'll be using in the field. However there might be specific training events where I'll present you with situations and scenarios where you wont have access to your weapons and will have to resolve the problem some other way, but I'll explain that as and when we get to it" she replied with a small nod. From the way Naomi spoke it was clear that she had a very good aptitude for tactics with at least some understanding of how things needed to work in order to get things done, personal attitude to the situation aside.

After seeing everyone explore their would be home away from home and get themselves settled she decided it might be time to actually move on and get them down to the training room floor. Deciding to leave the file where it was for now she stood up before motioning with her arm, "Let's get going, we've got limited time as it is... " she said without much enthusiasm as she rounded everyone up and lead them away to the training room located down the hall back the way they came, situated at the centre of all the Stalker Barrack blocks. "We've been given top priority over the room for the next few days so it should be cleared of anyone for now".

Passing through two sets of double automated doors they would eventually come face to face with the room, which was outfitted with just about everything and anything you could imagine. On the far right side a metal stairwell ascended up into a control center with consoles and a window pane looking down onto the training room floor, the far left side behind a barrier housed a gym with all kinds of apparatus and equipment designed to help Stalkers keep fit and in shape. The real jewel of the room however was the large semi sphere shaped object attached to the ceiling above them in the center of the room.

"Welcome to the most advanced training room you'll see in the entirety of Serenity" she said as she lead them onto the training room floor before turning to face them. "Within this room is probably everything and anything you could possibly need, above your heads is a Masuma Tech Digi-structor, the same tech they use within the WGA in the training processes of their officers" Naomi folded her arms across her chest as she explained. "Long story short, you head up the control room, put in some commands and it'll construct whatever you've put in onto the training room floor. Whether it's an enemy or an environment or both.

"The first exercise I want to run you though individually is a room clear stage that'll indicate your effectiveness in making quick decisions and adapting to situations as they happen" she motioned with her head for them to follow her up into the control room. Once inside she'd type some commands into the console preparing a gauntlet of rooms with various hostiles and non hostiles inside, they would in fact move and shoot back but they would produce projectiles that'd harmlessly shock them if they took hits, though it was still unpleasant. The semi sphere above began to shoot out beams of light which constructed the course before their eyes over the training floor.

Once the construction was finished she once again turned towards them. "Alright, APOLLO is managing the opposition and is playing team antagonist. APOLLO is also going to be grading you based on speed, efficiency, accuracy and hits taken. You get a point score which adds up to a letter scoring, F being the lowest and S being the highest. As for as your intelligence briefing for the scenario, you're entering a compound of gang members who have taken a hostage. Your job is to clear out the hostiles and liberate the hostage before the eight minute timer expires, you lose points for running over time or hitting any non hostiles in the scenario" she explained before looking between them.

"So... who want's to go first?"

Collab bet'w @Eastwood and @SilentxChaos

As they went down the elevator and, at the last minute were given hidden identifications, Zadok couldn't help but think that it was nothing short of a miracle that Serenity hadn't been discovered and destroyed by the World Government, with how sloppy they are when it comes to security.

After that lackluster explanation, no one's supposed careers were going to hold up for very long under even light interrogation.

It took an excruciating amount of time before this newfound group settled in. Sierra paused in the room dedicated to her long enough to mark the bed and cleanliness, toss her jacket on the floor, then went exploring. She found some gum somewhere that she popped into her mouth and began chewing loudly, stretching as she strutted down the halls. Wearing a long sleeve top that'd seen much wear and tear, its translucent fabric didn't hide the silhouette of her arms. Sierra knew of prosthetics that looked just like normal arms; complete with synthetic blood vessels and muscles, but most were unattainable to her family, and quite boring. Who wants a fake of something real?

Sierra poked her head into the first she came across, and did so with every room that presented itself in the hallway. She hadn't quite expected to be staying here for two days but, then again, her family wouldn't be missing her. Master promised he'd soothe things over with them without making them aware she was joining Serenity. The mere thought sent shivers through her connected nerves. "Gah, must be chilly," she said to the empty space, rubbing where flesh connected to metal. She huffed. "Man, this is boring…" her voice trailed off as she came to one room that, finally, held an occupant willing (or not) to talk. The priest. Sierra froze in his doorway with one leg paused midstep, her arms folded behind her head as she blinked at him.

A wide grin split her face. "Just the man I wanted to see!" It was a complete lie, of course. Sierra having no prelude thought to anything she did, but in this moment it was completely and irrevocably the truth. Without permission, she entered his room. She stuck herself in front of him and held out a hand. "Didn't exactly get a proper introduction in, did we? Name's Sierra. And what's yours, Gramps?" Her head tilted to one side as her gaze flicked up and down his frame, taking him in earnest for the first time.

Zadok had sat alone on a bed he did not need in a room with not much else in it. It was the very definition of spartan, with gray plain walls and with a gray plain floor, but he did not pay attention to his more immediate surroundings. He had left the group in search of a data port and found it, and was once more connected into the closed network that was Serenity HQ. Streams of images flowed across his mind, taking in all the data that the network had to offer. It was why, after a brief view through available camera feeds, he was able to see Sierra walk down the corridor and open every door for about ten minutes. Inevitably, she would come to his door and he remotely unlocked it from where he was sitting and turned to face his visitor.

The door opened to reveal him sitting on a bed and facing Sierra, as if waiting for her all along. <"Hello, Sierra."> Zadok spoke, his voice soothingly and melodically modulated as if he was gently singing with every word. <"It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Father Allen, Artisan-Priest of the Cult of the Machine. But Zadok will suffice. Is there anything I may help you with?>" He stared at her, both with his golden natural right eye and the red lens of his artificial left eye.

Sierra popped her gum. "So...is Zadok your first name or last?" She waved a dismissive hand in front of her face. "Nevermind, doesn't matter I suppose. I'll call you Gramps 'cause you seem old. You don't look that old but you seem like it."

Her arm was still raised, waiting to be shaked. Eyebrows peaked as she looked pointedly from her hand to him. "Well? It's rude to start something without a proper handshake."

<"Zadok is my primary designation, but if you desire to refer to me as 'Gramps', I do not mind. And forgive me, it has been quite some time since I have had the opportunity to converse with unaltered voices."> Hesitantly, as if worried that he was doing it wrong, he reached up to take her hand and shook it tightly. <"My memory on classical social customs is a little old, but isn't it also rude to enter someone's quarters without being asked to come in?">

Sierra stared blankly at him for a solid second before breaking into a laugh. "I guess huh? It ain't followed in my house though. Too many people in other people's business. Speaking of," letting his hand go, she hopped on his bed, giving it a few bounces before settling in a cross-legged position. "Your electroos. Those are what they are, yeah? Tell me about them."

She leaned forward with hands on her knees and stared eagerly. Ever since she saw that tell-tale blue glow peeking from beneath his clothes, she just had to know. People in her district hardly ever had them. She understood they could hold information, and she was dying to know just how that worked. Did his deep and darkest secrets glow bright with neon blue finesse? What did the patterns stand for? How much info could be held in just a speck? Was ink even involved? So many questions piled through she nearly forgot to pay attention to his answer. She fidgeted, wiggling back and forth a bit to get more comfortable, then started tugging at a ball chain visible around her neck, but what hung on it disappeared beneath her shirt. Sierra's eyes trained on Zadok, making every effort to listen intently, but they wandered around occasionally, roaming the empty room.

<"Ah. Hungering for fresh knowledge, I see. You have come to the right person. Sit, and I will share with you what I know."> He swiveled to face her, the few electoos in the shape of thick lightning, glowing a soft electric blue. <"Electoos, or electrical tattoos, are subcutaneous tattoos that lay inbetween the dermis and epidermis. They consist of crystalline circuit technology that allows the user to store or manipulate digital information as part of their own body. It begins with an inert layer of conductive film that is inserted beneath the skin which forms the foundation. Crystal circuitry is then layered on top of the film with any waste material being dissolved out of the body. From there, the electoo can be programmed to function as any form of digital control or monitoring device. In certain districts and corporations, everyone carries an electoo containing personal details, credit ratings, security grades, and details of their social record. All together, this information acts both as a police file and an automatic crediting facility. Through sensors, it is possible to easily, and cheaply, keep track of everyone entering and leaving buildings. Additionally, when a bearer purchases anything, tills automatically modifies the credit rating of the electoo owner accordingly. Because of how much data the crystal circuits can store, it is possible to accomplish everything I had just said through an electoo the size of a pin-head.>"

"A pin head?" Both eyebrows raised as Sierra considered this. "If that's all it takes, why do you got so many? How extensive are yours? Do those patterns have any effect?"

Sierra wrapped the chain around a finger and tugged it. She leaned forward, her attention starting to narrow on to him as their conversation held her interest. "Why do you need them anyways?"

<"Normally, electoos are unpowered and invisible. It is entirely possible that you possess an electoo somewhere on your body that you are unaware of, but it is unlikely. For me, and JD, we have skinplants. Instead of mere circuitry that electoos offer, skinplants are functioning devices that are inserted in between the layers of skin. The more popular applications of this idea is to power and control an electrically-sensitive tattoo, whether it's in the shape of a clock around the wrist, an advertisement or logo on the forehead, or even a light-emitting patch on the palm that is popular among criminals as 'thief's light'. For JD, the electoo is cosmetic. For me, and for every other disciple of the Cult of the Machine, it is so that the manna of the Machine-God can reach each and every one of us. From the Prime-Fabricator to the lowest of disciples, the electric majesty of our God touches all of our souls. We do it to feel closer to the Omnissiah, and to the machines that we tend to. The machine's joy becomes our joy, the machine's pain becomes our pain, and the machine's love becomes our love. Through the electoos, the faithful are rewarded with the bounty of data and the sweet nectar of pure information.>"

Her gum popped. She'd been nodding, following along, perplexed that she may have an electoo (sure to lead to a thorough examination of herself later, for she'd never rest easy until she knew for certainty). But then Zadok started going about his cult or other, Gods and manna. She didn't really get it. No one had time for religion in her family. They were much too busy and, besides, it didn't put food on the table. So, by the time, he was finishing his explanation her attention rapidly tapered off. Her fidgeting increased tenfold until she finally burst into a loud sigh and got up. "Sure, sure. Makes sense I suppose…'sweet nectar of info' is kinda weird though."

Walking over to him, she took his arm and plucked at his sleeve, pushing it back to look closer at his electoos. "So? What data you got in here anyways?" she asked, poking at one of them.

<"Knowledge is power, this is the first and only credo of the Cult Mechanicus. It is… difficult for the unaugmented to understand the rush of raw data, the joys of a new revelation."> As she rolled up the sleeves of his right arm, all the she found was metal going all the way up to the shoulder. When she neared the elbow, Zadok gently wrapped his metal digits around her arms, the sensors on his fingertips tasting the chemical composition of the metal that made up her cybernetic arm. <"Please stop. It is rude to gaze upon the augments of a priest. And these electoos do not store information but allow for the free-flow of data. It is similar to the difference between a lake and a river.">

Sierra's eyes lit up as if she just came upon the newest model of a flamethrower augment. She managed to run her finger along his arm before he stopped her, to which she huffed and looked at him reproachfully. "What? You shy or something?" It was a tease, but now she was dying to know about his arm, the idea electoos abruptly dropped like stale bread in place of this new and somewhat secretive thing. They were boring her anyways; they sounded more like Arnos' things than hers, the cybernet wiz of her family. Standing straight, she decided she didn't want to be hold up in this dingy room. If she didn't know better, they were the only two people in the whole entire complex. Where was the noise? Where was the activity?

"Hey Gramps," she looked down at him. "Let's go exploring. I want to hear about your augments but it's too quiet here. Ya know?" The necklace wounded around a metal digit and her gum popped. "We can find the cafeteria. Get some food, yeah?"

Zadok ignored her teasing and rolled his purple sleeves back down. It was only natural that she would be interested in the custom augments of a tech-priest. He had designed and built those hands decades ago and they have served him well ever since. <"I do not need to consume anything at the moment. But if you desire company, I will go with you."> He stood up straight and opened the door ahead of them. <"I believe it is 24 meters left, and then 34 meters right. Let us go.>"

Sierra stared at him as he walked out. "You don't really get the idea of exploring, do you?"

She didn't argue much farther on the point, feeling her empty insides make an extra loud complaint. "Damn, I'm going to get spoiled here," she muttered to herself. She was used to rationing out crackers over a week so the idea of a free cafeteria down the hallway remained obscenely fantastical and too good to be true. Then again, it wasn't like she had any concept on how military operations worked. Serenity was nothing more than a means to an end for her, for now, and one she'd selfishly enjoy every minute of. But the reminder of what she and this odd priest had signed up for, brought the first semi-serious expression across her face. It was the equivalent of the tiniest crease in her forehead and a half-smirk.

"Say, Pops-- ah, no. Gotta stick with Gramps. Gramps: why are you here?"

Zadok was surprised at the extravagance of the kitchen, but given the fact that they were all given rooms to share instead of a singular barrack was telling as to how many resources Serenity had under their control. At the very least, he was expecting a nutrient paste dispenser, fast, cheap, easy, nutritious, but utterly bland, but instead he found a fully stocked kitchen.

"<I could no longer stand by and watch evilness and cruelty spread and do nothing. I believe that the Cult Mechanicus is too focused on Tilea, and therefore are blind to tyrannies elsewhere. This city is my home, I will do everything I can to protect it and it's people, through the grace of the Omnissiah.>"

"Whoa!"

Dashing in front of him, Sierra clapped her metal hands together, practically salivating at the smells. "Oh man! This by far is the best part of the whole day." She began rummaging through the cupboards and drawers while Zadok spoke. She made a snort at his rather vague reasoning, feeling it to be weak, but she was ready to shrug it off. To each their own, right? She asked out of mere curiosity; whether he gave a straight answer or not was his business.

She made a face as she knelt to one of the lower cupboards, sticking her head in just as Zadok stopped talking. "Omwi-wha- ow!!" Banging her head, Sierra grabbed the hurt with both hands, before more carefully extracting herself from the kitchen storage and giving him a look. "Omni-s-iaha? What the hell is that?" she asked, still rubbing her head.

"<Omnissiah. Are you alright?>" Zadok corrected her and then asked, concerned as he leaned closer to Sierra. "<Do you have brain damage?>"

"Since the day I was born, according to Cat," Sierra muttered. She flapped Zadok away with both hands. "It's fine, I think the cupboard…" she looked down, seeing a Sierra-head-shaped dent on the upper part of the cabinet. She blinked at it. "I have no idea how that go there," shrugging, she closed it. "Tell me about this Omnissichah." Sierra got up, deciding to grab the first food she laid eyes on, and carrying them to a nearby table. It was mostly an assortment of chips, protein bars, a banana and a jug of water. Popping open a bag of chips, she offered one to Zadok.

<"Omnissiah."> Zadok corrected her once again and declined. <"No thank you. And the Omnissiah is part of the trinity that serves as the foundation of our worship alongside the Machine-God, the omnipotent spirit that rules over all machinery and the creator of all knowledge, and the Motive Force, which is the energy that powers all living things and grants them motion. The Omnissiah is the physical manifestation of the Machine-God. They know all and comprehend all. It is one of our holy tenants and it serves as a guide for all Mechanites and a path for all priests, all for the sake of being closer to our god.">

"That's what I said," Sierra answered his correction. She shrugged and went about stuffing her face as he talked, inhaling everything, slowing down only a little when she noticed he'd stopped talking. She paused and swallowed. "Um...so, I didn't really catch all that but it sounds lame if you ask me. Why should I worship stuff that I can make with my own hands?" she hit one arm with a fist, making a clinking sound. "Worshiping sounds like a waste of energy if you ask me."

Zadok tilted his head, almost appearing confused. "<That is precisely why you should honor the Omnissiah. When you create something successfully, you have applied the divine knowledge that you have gained and inadvertently followed the Machine-God's laws. A machine that isn't built upon the holy principles of thermodynamics will never function. The knowledge that you possess, and the techniques learned from them, is not fundamentally yours. It is a gift, to use responsibly and for the ultimate benefit of mankind. Otherwise, what is the point of it all?>"

"What is-- whatever I damn well please, that's the point," Sierra, groaning, scratched the side of her head.

"Listen, Gramps. I don't know what kind of nonsense you're spouting but I didn't get 'blessed' or 'inadvertently acquire' from some Omnissiwack to get these." Holding out her hands in front of her, she flexed them, moving the fingers up and down as if playing the piano before splaying them out wide. She stared at them briefly, an odd seriousness momentarily crossing her face. She sighed, lowering them to pick up the banana, and then pointed it at him. "What I had to do, there ain't no blessing or holiness about it. It was straight up hardwork and pain. There wasn't no forgiveness or pleasure in it, Master certainly made sure of that," she grumbled the latter. Giving a one-shoulder shrug, she withdrew the banana and began peeling it. "I worked damn well hard for what I have now, and it ain't much, I'll tell you. So don't you go saying what I've earned isn't mine."

Zadok blinked and raised his hands in surrender. "<Ah, I did not mean to imply that the knowledge that you have gained was not earned. Please, forgive me Sierra, it has been quite some time since I had conversed with the unaugmented. To us Mechanites, knowledge is divine and to comprehend and apply that knowledge so effectively is what makes us unique and dominant on this planet. But, it is how we apply that knowledge is what defines us. Take a look at my hands. I, too, have designed and built these augmentations. We both followed the same principles and we both adhered to the same rules, but look at the differing conclusions. Under the surface, our augments are as unique to us as our fingerprints. With more meaning in fact, for these prosthetics in their design ultimately reflect the designer. And from your augments, I can tell that you are very intelligent and very skilled. You respect the Machine-God and the Omnissiah with your designs, if unintentionally. But please, tell me more about this… Master . Is he your teacher?>"

Sierra paused mid-bite to yawn, rubbing her side. She perked up when he raised his augmentations but his explanation seemed lost on her. She smirked at his compliments, thinking no one really said that about her, but blinked with surprise when he brought up her "master". She lowered the banana, a queasy feeling unsettling her. "Ah, yeah. He used to work for Serenity actually. He taught me everything I know about being a mechanic," she grinned, wide and smug, "He designed his own body actually. The man's artist, I tell ya, and a damn good cyborg combatant to boot. One punch on the wrong side, I got knocked out for three days can you believe it? It was such a wild move too." She laughed as she made a fake punch to the left side of her head, seemingly giddy just remembering the moment, even though it'd led to her getting hurt. "He's the reason I was able to get into this, believe it or not."

Zadok wasn't blind to Sierra's discomfort. <"Does your master inflict physical harm to you regularly?"> He asked, somewhat bluntly.

"Huh? Well, yeah, it's part of his training. Or--" another yawn broke her sentence, but her breath hitched. She flinched with discomfort. "Heh well he'd say I started it. He's impossible to sneak up on but I swear, I'll get him one day."

Sierra grinned wide, imagining that moment with sadistic glee. Another yawn, however, interrupted her reverie and she last sighed. "Hey Gramps, thanks for the talk but I should probably steal a nap before our Brooding Leader decides to call a group meet or something."

Getting up, she scooped her mess of wrappers and peels into her arms, tucking the water beneath one to take with her as she threw it all away. She raised a hand as she went past him to go back to her room. "It's been real though. Can't say much about your Omnisiinah, but glad you showed those augments." She started walking past him, taking her time to stretch, as she went behind him.

All of the sudden, Sierra spun on her heel and aimed a punch right for the back of his skull.

<"Knowledge is a gift, that can be freely shared."> Zadok didn't say anything else on the matter. <"And anytime. If you are curious and wish to know more, I aim to establish a regular service for the mechanic Mechanites soon, I would very much like to see you there."> As Zadok turned he, lacking sensors at the back of his body, didn't register Sierra's punch until it collided with the back of his skull. He took a step forward with the momentum and paused, surprised, before quickly turning to Sierra and bringing his face close to hers. His golden eye was narrowed and his voice, where before it was calm and serene, was now harsh. <"May I ask why you decided to randomly strike a fellow teammate while their back is turned?">

"Wanted to see what you're made of," Sierra replied, nonplussed by his proximity or change of tone. She flexed her hand and flipped it to ensure continuous working order. "Gotta a tough skull that's sure. Need to work on that vigilance though, you never know when you'll be attacked next or from where."

Grinning, she patted his shoulder. "Glad to see you gotta bite to you."

She waved and left. When Zadok returned to his room, he'd find Sierra sleeping peacefully in the opposite bed, hugging her pillow with her entire body and giving off soft snores. If anyone had left their personal items there, they'd be mysteriously moved to the room originally designated to her, although perhaps no would notice because the name tags were also mysteriously switched. Sierra has no idea how this happened.

Zadok stared, but backed off a little bit. <"You do not need to tell me that. Before even your grandmother was born, I was one of the original Crusaders during the Great Machine Jihad. If you desire to see what I am capable of, then you are welcome to spar with me. Until then, do not hurt your allies . Comrades do not sneak-attack each other, such acts would only erode trust.">

The Crusaders were well-known during the events of the machine revolution as part of the militant wing of the Cult Mechanicus. An all-cyborg force armed with galvanic weaponry, they were mind-linked to each other and fought as a tightly-bond and extremely well-coordinated unit, suppressing all emotion that would be detrimental to combat and running entirely on data and under the command of the logic-imperatives of their commanders. They were famous for leading raids against the rebelling omnics and for saving countless human lives from their wrath.

Reactions: Winter
"I'll go first," Hanlon said and stepped forward. "I know I've made myself That Guy with my talk, so might as well start by setting the bar low for everyone else, eh?" he said and smirked. He approached the weapon rack that held the HardLight training guns, devices that produced identical noise and recoil as the real ones, but the "bullet" was a digital hard light hologram. This way, the holotraining system didn't carry risk of a stray real bullet damaging something expensive, or harming an onlooking bystander.

Hanlon grabbed a HardLight revolver from the rack. The training weapon selection offered several kinds of HardLight rifles, PDWs, a very high tech and very illegal directed energy stun gun, and some semiauto pistols with silencer attachments. Hanlon reasoned for himself that a quick hostage situation was something that would go either very loud, or very quiet, and silenced pistol was precisely in the middle of that. The revolver offered precision and reliability; it wouldn't jam or misfire even after you waddled neck deep in sewage water while running away from...

"Gah," Han muttered, shaking that memory off. "Focus," he whispered. Getting shaken by a bad flashback was unbecoming of someone who tried to put on the look of wizened veteran. He placed seven HardLight bullets into the chambers and spun the cylinder. He couldn't help but to grin giddily at the clicking sound the gun made. He stashed the gun and a knife made out of stiff rubber into his belt. He left his coat hanged on the corner of the gun rack, and stood in front of the entrance to the training area. "Alright, then, start the clock... now!"

Eight minutes meant he had, ideally, two and half to get to the hostage, and five and half to get out, as he would then have a significant additional burden. The APOLLO chose a classical scenario for Han, an abandoned warehouse turned a gangbanger den. The floor was a random scattering of boxes, containers and occasional burned out forklift, all of this patrolled by lowlife looking men armed with automatic weapons. The hostage was held in an office complex suspended on a catwalk above the workfloor.

A shootout would take too long, and risked the hostage's guards would simply off him. Hanlon's plan relied on stealth, evasion and quick movement. He spotted a pile of boxes on the other side of the hall that would let him climb to the catwalk, instead of taking the stairs which seemed to have a permanently stationed guard ontop of them. Next, an AC system was installed into the office complex, and the air ducts lead from the offices to the roof, where the cooling unit was installed. Hanlon could climb on the steel girders that supported the roof, get into the ducts from there and then into the office with the hostage.

The plan went smoothly. He got across the floor in one and a half minute, but one of the holographic gangsters would not stop hanging around the tall pile of boxes. Han crept behind him and stabbed him into his holographic live. The body spasmed a bit in his embrace and tried to resist even after the knife ripped apart the rich blood vessels in the organ, but Han's hand over his mouth stopped any scream for help from getting out, and one of the cargo containers was used as makeshift coffin. Fifteen seconds later, Han's boots landed on the steel grating of the catwalk. The guard at the stairs kept looking away, and so Hanlon started to climb towards the AC unit.

The AC unit had a cleaning and maintenance access hatch large enough to crawl through, but it was held by two rusted bolts. Han tried to undo them by hand, but the rust held stiff and Han realized he needed a lever. He was also running late, now at three and a half minutes. He pulled out the knife and used it as a flathead screwdriver. The first one came out and Han caught it before it fell down on the warehouse floor, but the second shattered and bit of rust flew everywhere. Hanlon cursed silently, and wrenched the hatch open, sliding inside.

Now to only navigate the duct maze ontop of the right office, drop down, dispose of the two guards in close combat, knock out the hostage and hightail it out of there. The plan was clear, simple and foolproof, until APOLLO decided to show what was the advantage of having a real intelligence in charge of the simulation: unpredictability. The bolts holding the ducts suddenly changed their rust status, and failed under Hanlon's weight two meters from the hatch that would let him get on top of the hostage guards. Instead, the duct ripped through the ceiling and threw Han right in front of the two gansters, guarding a woman in red dress with a sack over her head, her wrists tied to a foldable chair she was sitting on.

Hanlon's eyes caught with the eyes of the guard closer to him. "Hello there," he said, reaching for his revolver just as the guard was already bringing up his rifle. Hanlon's free hand shot up and grabbed the rifle's barrel, in time to make the guard miss, and also to make Han appreciate how realistic the holo weapons were in recreating gunshot sounds. The revolver in his hand jerked from the recoil, and the other guard fell dead. The first one started to wrangle for his gun with Han, but he quickly disposed of him with the second revolver shot as well, Han's ears now ringing so badly he had issues with his balance getting up and untying the hostage from. He left her hands tied and the bag over her head, hoisting her over his shoulders.

He assumed the guards outside were already shouting and hurrying up the catwalk stairs, even if he couldn't hear them. He placed a bullet through the office door, just to make them take cover and stall their advance, before approaching the office window and breaking the glass with the butt of the gun. He looked out. It looked bad, two floors worth of fall, with mouldy carton boxes to stop his fall. The sixty something kilos on his back wouldn't make it better too. His knees would hurt something insane tomorrow.

That was a mistake. They were hurting something insane right now. One of his legs gave in during the landing, but he managed to keep the hostage from slipping from his back, and hitting herself against the concrete floor. Han tried to stand up. The leg felt like it was made out of pain, but it seemed to move just fine, with no mechanical demage. He started to make his dash across the floor to the exit point, keeping boxes and cargo containers between himself and the gang as much as possible, running across open space while firing his revolver. As he found out, having one limb in a world of pain meant the HardLight shots hurt lot less compared.

The hostage vanished the moment he ran through the exit, the whole scene behind him already starting to reshuffle in preparation for the next contestant. Han sat down and stretched his aching leg. "So... how did I do?"

Reactions: Mizos
A grin formed on his face at the idea of a two day training course. Two days two meet people and try to figure out how to work together? It sounded like chaos and frankly, chaos and spontaneity was his thing. As the two -who's names he forgotten, or never knew for that matter- departed after the briefing, JD was up and ready to go as well, following Naomi out for the tour. At first, the only thing that caught his attention were the people in power armor. He had started off on the side of the group, being careful not to get surrounded by them, but when he got too close to the armor he found himself taking a step away. Of course, it was more for their sake than his, but he wasn't about to explain that.

"Whoa." JD marveled at the Underworld and its liveliness. The Ivory Skulls base was always busy and full of life too, but this took it to another level. There was a moment that something caught his eye as they walked through and his curiosity tempted him to go investigate, but he flinched hearing Naomi's call to 'stick close'. Instead, he admired how fluid everything was and how some of them didn't even need to look up to casually avoid the sudden tour group invading their space. However, their interruption didn't last long because the last part of their tour was their 'new home life'. JD had to admit it felt pretty cozy, more so than where he lived. "Oh I call a bottom bunk! For whoever gets stuck with me." JD snickered and finally broke off from the now ended tour, heading right into the kitchen. A cheer could be heard from there as JD got familiar with where everything was. For what could have been at least ten minutes, he rustled through the kitchen making a small pile of snacks on a nearby counter, only to stash them in a room he claimed as his- or half of his room for that matter. At one point or another he spotted Sierra and Zadok, but his hands were full and he was on a mission to stash snacks away for later. Not that he really needed to.

And then the time began to tick. And JD began to get restless. He wanted to attempt to make conversation with the others, seeing as they were all new and needed to get along, but they didn't seem too eager to be as friendly as he was. And of course, he wasn't sure how to approach. He knew he could get too excitable at times and he didn't want one of their reactions to be fight instead of flight. So instead, he made his way to the one source that he knew would be… at least relatively safe:

Naomi.

"So… I don't suppose you mind lunchboxes made for missions?" JD chuckled at his own joke before nodding his head towards the kitchen. "You guys sure went all out for supplies." He leaned over the back of the couch. Fortunately, his boredom didn't seem to last too long because the group and Naomi decided it was high time to get training in. And the training room itself was rather impressive. The most JD had of a training room was going out in the field and doing things until he got it right and though haphazard, it was still a learning experience regardless.

Naomi started to explain things here and there, and JD paid attention… for the most part. It wasn't until she said the name of the game that JD raised a curious brow. "Alright hostage situations, those are a piece of cake."

With an eagerness, JD leaned against a counter to watch Hanlon go through the training room, impressed by how sneaky he managed to be. "Looks like he's not all bark. Good to know." He joked. And when he completed the task, JD gave a thumbs up in response. "Nice. I'd say a good nine and a half outta ten. Probably scared the life outta that hostage just grabbing her without untying her first."

JD chuckled and took a few steps forward. "Alright, me next." The room changed around him and as Naomi said, he was now outside of a compound. Surprisingly, it wasn't as high tech as he thought it would be. In fact, it looked like a typical warehouse building, something similar to the rundown buildings that he had come to know. "Bah, same test space? Well, alright." Upon a quick inspection, JD effortlessly climbed his way to a window using the fire escapes and took another quick second to slip into the scene. Getting into bad situations was always the easiest. It was the getting out where the action and adrenaline came to play.

JD kept to the wooden rafters, staying in the shadows to check out the scene. Sure enough, there was a hostage tied to a post and three armed men around them. However, when he took a step forward to jump into the fray, he noticed four more with guns at the hip and near a door. He grunted in annoyance and crouched back in his spot. "Seven to one is hardly fair… for them at least." It did make him rethink just jumping down and attacking however. He had to play it safe and be a little more silent to keep the hostage safe. It was fairly quiet save for the gang members mumbling, until every slight movement he made, the rafters responded with gentle creaks. Fortunately, no one seemed to care about the 'mouse in the rafters' and fortunately he remembered to push the sleeves of his jacket down to cover the glowing star tattoo he had on his arm.

He quickened his pace across the rafters to get right above the trio, only for the wood to suddenly give away under his foot. It splintered and cracked, causing decently sized pieces to hit the ground. Light as ever on his toes, he managed to reach the next sturdy one without being seen, but there was no doubt that his cover was blown. He could tell by the various yelling and clicks of guns. When he heard one of them yell "Who the hell are you?!" JD couldn't help but snicker. Hiding was no fun anyway so he emerged from the shadowy spot he hid in like a thief in the night, deepened his voice and sounded as intimidating as he could, responding in kind with, "Your worst nightmare."

Despite the gang members' confused hesitation, they recovered and quickly began to fire at him, causing JD to leap down into the fray. In one swift motion, he grabbed one of his escrima sticks off his back and tasered the gangster he landed by before he could be shot. Remembering the words of the Ivory Skull leaders, he was careful to make it look as if the electricity was coming from the escrima sticks themselves and not him, which was as easy as making it look like he was pressing a button every time he struck. There was another series of tumbling and dodging as he tossed his escrima stick at one's head and waited for him to drop before stealing the knife off his hip and cutting the hostage free. "Quick and easy~"

"Annnd, I need that back-" There were still four more gang members rushing towards him and the hostage, so JD moved a little less leisurely. He quickly yanked his weapon off the ground and pulled the hostage around the pillar they were tied to. "Uh, hi hello this would be a lot more casual if you weren't a simulation- wait oh shit do you even you're a simulati-" A 'bullet' whizzed by him and he could feel the spark of electricity coming off it. "Right, right. Shocking bullets. Focus." He looked at the hostage- a young, frightened woman and then nudged her into a seated position. "Sit tight, keep your head covered, I'll go handle these guys so you can… uh… not die I guess?" The hostage only gave a panicked nod, not answering his previous question… which only made him more suspicious really.

Instead of dwelling and continuing to get distracted, now with two escrima sticks in hand, he weaved through his attackers, moving in such a way that it looked fluid and near effortless, only to stop in sudden moments to jab an escrima stick into a chest or stomach and proceed to taser them to unconsciousness. One managed to slip by his attack, but before he could get too far to the hostage, the two escrima sticks became a single staff and JD whacked the man across the head, causing him to fall with a loud thud. "Haha, watch your head."

A loud bang sounded and JD lurched forward, putting his foot out to keep standing. He reached to grab his shoulder, rubbing the now sore spot after being shot. "Alright, I deserved that one." He winced at the sting of the bullet, but sighed as he absorbed the shock. Before the simulated gang member could shoot at him again, he used the bo staff to sweep his feet from under him and knocked him cold.

When the last man fell, JD walked over to the hostage, helping her up. She cried out in thanks, starting to worriedly point out that he had been shot only for the simulation to fade and for him to be in the empty training room again.

7 minutes and 45 seconds.

He read the timer set and nodded. "Nice. With seconds to spare." He gave a thumbs up to where the rest of them were watching before heading back to the control room to trade spaces.

Reactions: Mizos
"Hana," Sven said glancing at her when things started to get livelier.
"Consider it done."
Sven paid little mind to the ramblings of the people in front of him, ultimately turning the device back on and flipping back through it. Hana on the other hand paid attention to everything transpiring in front of them, Sven only looking up from his device at certain points, generally when Hana pat him on the shoulder. He took note of what was going on, nodded and returned to his own musings. His twitching eyebrows at the causal inserts pointed at the group showed that he was actually paying attention but Hana seemed more focused on what was going on than he was. He seemed to not necessarily care about the reasons, what was needed of them or who was in charge. His eyelids lowered slightly and his mouth twitched merely waiting for this meeting to conclude so they could move on. His expression at the face of the mutant matched Hana's, blank and devoid of any emotion or care before he lowered his head again.
Sven had learned quickly though as the people around him spoke and he put faces to names a simple fact. He disliked everyone in this room, the hyper ones were loud and the rest were annoying in other way, he wouldn't mind if a few of them died during the mission, especially the talkative ones.

Sven paid a bit more attention as they made their way through the complex, his eyes seemed to pay more attention to the camera placements and monitoring devices than anything else. Their 'leader' at the very least explained everything well enough. There was no real complication or trouble understanding what led where and why they had what they needed. He wasn't sure how the others members felt about them having special attention but that was a question for later. His biggest question was about APOLLO but he wanted to save that question for later as it wasn't something that could probably be answered during a tour. When they were brought to their new home Sven looked over at Hana seeing as only two people could stay in a room, she gave a small nod understanding and walked off to claim a room for the two of them, and she knew preferably as far away from the others as possible given the space they were in.
"I'll save my questions for later."
Sven said that at Naomi's recent inquiry on questions and it was also the first thing he had said since they left the room but he left it that. He casually moved away from the group to make his way to Hana glad to get away from the group. There was no plausible way to build trust between a group like this in a matter of two days, though at the very least it could keep him from having to remember too many names.

Once in his room he opened his device and pressing a button caused all the electronics in the area to hum for a moment before returning to normal. It was a quiet and subtle takeover as he sighed and accessing the cameras that could see his room prepared a few false images to future sake.
"…you shouldn't-" Han started only to stop as Sven's finger.
"I'll tell them about it later. Apollo would anyway," Sven said lowering his device. "I like my privacy; I'm just putting a few shocks here and there to ward off those who like to dig too damn deep."
Hana sighed and shrugged a bit, the fact he was going to say something was at least something to take into consideration, he was cooperating and that was good enough for the time being. Though looking back at the others not many had faith in abilities. Their relative skills and such mattered little to her, she would do her job as requested and deal with any threats that prevented her from doing so; anything else was of little concern.

When they made their way to the training room Sven's eyes immediately went to the tech above their heads, his eyes narrowed a bit at the object. He lowered his gaze from it not wanting to stare at it for too long, annoying as it was he knew what that thing was. Looking over at Hana it seemed she remembered as well though it didn't show on her face as always, that glance at it was enough to tell him she recalled it.
"Wait," Sven said looking over at Naomi. "Individually? That's not a good idea, Hana and I work as a pair, individually isn't a good idea."
His gaze move to Hana and she glanced over as Hanlon offered to go first, she gave a small nod of acknowledgment in his direction before looking back at Sven and offering a shrug.
"We should follow the rules and just go in on our own. This is to evaluate us after all," Hana said.
"Yeah and what I'm saying is separately that's a bad idea," Sven responded.
"You're good at adapting Sven."
"Yeah and you're bad at it."
"I'll figure it out."
Sven squeezed the bridge of his nose, he knew he wasn't going to win this argument, he disliked the idea but Hana would just go in alone without him if he kept this up. Sven waved his hand at her indicating he'd go in alone before turning and watching Hanlon make his way through the gauntlet. He watched the man with crossed arms, Hana walking up alongside him to watch him make his way through. He seemed to be doing okay up until the final moments, but the man managed to break through and complete his mission.
"Well the hostage didn't die," Sven commented.
When the man came out and asked how he did Sven glanced at him.
"Average," Sven said.
Hana only offered light applause for the man, it was hard to tell whether it was sincere from her blank expression but her stare more than likely meant she was serious.
Next was the one named JD, unlike the former he got loud pretty quickly, to his credit he took them out easily showing he had good combat prowess. Sven's eyes arched seeing the two sticks he had, when he slammed them together Sven crossed his arms watching the electricity surge through them.
When he finished Sven only narrowed his eyes at him while Hana offered light applause once more.
With two concluded Sven stared into the room rubbing the side of his head at the idea of getting it over and done with.
"Why don't you go, I'll head to the control room and take care of it," Hana said looking at Sven.
"…very well."
"Hold on," Hana said grabbing him. "The Pad."
"What? I'm not-"
"You need to play fair, everyone else did."
"Tch," Sven said before tossing her the small pad.
"The backup one. Taking you outside your comfort zone will help."
Sven grumbled and handed her another one before turning and making his way into the room, Hana headed to the control room before she started typing starting the construction.
Sven walked right past the weapon's rack rotating his arm with an irritated sigh shoving his hands in his pockets as he waited for the room to come to life.

Unlike the others Sven's was a tad different courtesy of Hana. The area itself was a mansion with Sven put at the front the door, straight in front of him was a staircase that led to the second floor which ran in two different directions, marble banisters running along the top half which one of the guards were leaning against talking to another one of the armed men. The floor level was wide, with a bar on the right side, and what looked like a living room on the left all part of the one room, red carpet ran along the floor and up the stairs. There were multiple tables, some knocked over with bullet holes in them, it was clear who ever lived here had guards that were no longer of the living, thankfully the knocked over tables and furniture offered good cover for getting around. The only real problem was what was attached to the few marble pillars in the area.
Sven's eyes twitched seeing automatic turrets situated in random spots, with some even being on the floor by the steps, there were also a few grenade launchers scattered here and there where the turrets range didn't reach.
A small screen popped up in front of Sven revealing a slim man tied up in a chair alongside two guards in one of the rooms, Hana making sure he didn't know which room it was.
"Here's the hostage," her voice said through the speaker.
"The fuck Hana! Why do I get turrets?! The others got a warehouse; I get the house of death!"
"It's okay I'm sure you'll do well. Just find the hostage."
"Is this because I cancelled your reality tv shows?"
"No."
A rotating turret was put directly in front of the hostage.
"That's for cancelling my shows."
"…you are eight kinds of bitch."
Another turret appeared above the hostage and Sven's eyes twitched before Hana removed her hands from the console.
"Screw it I'll figure it out," Sven said lowering his body.

The timer started and Sven immediately moved to the floor, his eyes moving to the turrets, his his mouth as he spoke quietly to himself, his eyes tracing something. He waited for the turret to move a bit watching it rotate before quickly running under it and onto the other side. He hid behind a turned over couch, staying low as one of the guards made his way past humming to himself, Sven remaining as still as possible as he slipped by. Keeping his body low he continued forward and past a few other guards making his way to the far wall. Sven opened a panel in the wall and started fiddling with it, his eyes moving to the guards to make sure he wasn't being watched before quickly making his way back, he did the same to the panel on the other side before moving to the side of the steps. Jumping he grabbed onto the banister and climbed up before making his way to the second floor.

Sven leaned against the wall and moved his hand towards one of the doors but before he touched it he stopped pulling his hand away. Closing his eyes he nodded and put his ear against the door. After a brief moment he shook his head and continued forward, he stopped hiding behind a chair as another guard passed by. He waited and glanced across at the guards opposite of him; seeing they were looking away he reached up and grabbed the man by his neck, covering his mouth before dragging him into the shadows. A moment later the man's body dissipated into scattered code and Sven stood up brushing off his clothes.
He walked up to the next door and put his ear to the door, listening his eyes widened before he knelt down and peered through the keyhole.
"…good this it," he mumbled. "Still how is this fair, those two get damsels in distress and I get some rich dude…well that is what I'd want. I like rich people owing me favors…damn Hana really knows me."
Sven knocked on the door causing one of the guards to approach, he called out but when there was no answer he approached and opened the door. Sven quickly burst in grabbing the man as the turrets went off. Hiding behind the guard he let the turrets tear him apart before hurling purple wires from his wrist into the control box on the side, a moment later the turrets quickly turned killing the other guard as the one in his grip dissipated. Sven sighed pulling the wires back into his sleeve and looked at the hostage only to see it had become a heavyset man.
"The hell!"
"It seemed too easy so I changed it last minute. I added that he gets easily winded too."
"What is wrong with you?!"
The guards downstairs clearly hearing the noises made their way upstairs, the moment they moved however the turrets downstairs went off killing any guards that approached the stairs causing the remaining ones to quickly jump back out of range.
"Stay there," Sven said to the hostage taking a step back. "Not that you have a choice."
The guards from across the hall ran in only for the turrets to tear them apart. Once they were dead he quickly untied the man before pushing him forward.
"Go I don't have time to waste on people like you," Sven said. "Hurry up."
The man though clearly bothered by Sven's rude comment started to move, he took five steps before having to stop and take a breath. A full minute later he was up and moving again only to take another five steps and stop.
"…no human being is this out of shape!"
"Don't judge lifestyles. Hate the player not the game."

Sven literally dragging the man made it downstairs only to push him behind a table as the guards started shooting at them. Gritting his teeth Sven looked up at the turrets seeing they were still focused on the guards, looking at the man he pointed down.
"Stay here."
Sven ran and jumped over the bar trying to ignore the falling glass from the guards gunshots, ignoring the pain in his side from one of the shots he started messing with bottles.
"When I say so! Run for the exit!" Sven yelled.
Sven lit a cloth and peeking over hurled one of the bottles at the guards, fire erupted shortly afterwards setting the man on fire as the bottle exploded.
"Now!" Sven said leaping over the counter.
The man took five steps only to stop and Sven groaned loudly before kicking the man the past the entrance and out of the door. The moment he did however the turrets immediately fixated on him.
"I didn't do that."
"Oh fuck you Apoll-"
A moment later the simulation ended and Sven walked out squeezing the bridge of his nose. Hana stood with the others looking back where he had come from.
"You got an F," Hana said moving her hand to her hips.
"Oh really I wonder why," Sven said glaring at her.
"Well you went over eight minutes, then you got shot a bunch of times by the turret. Those two things contributed most to your F."
"That's what happens when you play fair," Sven said taking his pad back. "Sending me in barebones like some sick sadist."
"It seemed the most efficient way to measure your ability, I was wrong though. I should have left you your stuff. You're pretty bad. You probably would have done fine if you had help."
"…get the fuck in there," Sven said pointing inside. "You're getting the exact same thing I did. Remember you have to rescue the hostage."

Sven keeping his word set up the same instance and Hana began her run, unlike Sven she chose a louder option making no effort to hide her presence. She quickly ran in, drawing the turrets attention immediately, she ran past the guards forcing the machine to shoot them before kicking off the wall towards the approaching others, the grenades from the launcher tearing the approaching ones apart. She made her way to the second floor killing the guards up top with brutal efficiency before breaking the door off its hinges and using it as shield before breaking the nearby panel forcing the turrets to stop. She ducked down as one of the guard shot at her and grabbing his wrist turned his gun towards the other before forcing him to pull the trigger, killing the man before she slammed his skull into the nearby wall watching as he dissipated before untying the hostage.
"Huh she's actually doing well," Sven said crossing his arms. "Maybe she'll actually-"
When guards ran into the room Hana grabbed the hostage by their leg and started slamming them into the remaining guards.
"Never mind."
Using the hostage as a blunt weapon until they 'died' Hana quickly jumped over the banister and made her escape. Once she was out she walked up to the others and flashed Sven a peace sign.
"I beat your time."
"You still got an F!" Sven said throwing his arms up.
"I killed everyone though."
"Yes you did…including the hostage!"
"Really?"
"You used him like a bat!"
"I rescued him though and made it out in just a few minutes."
Sven brought a hand to his face and trembled silently in anger for a moment before taking a deep breath, calming himself down and lowering his hand.
"Okay…your brain isn't cybernetic so I can't blame that on some error. By rescue I meant to escort him to safety. That was the objective, remember Naomi's earlier comment."
Hana looked over at Naomi then back at Sven.
"I remember but your orders were rescue not retrieve."
"….you know what…you're right. I am specific with my orders aren't I? That's my fault," Sven said sarcasm dripping from his aggravated tone.
"Exactly my failure is your fault," Hana said. "You're lack of leadership caused this problem."
Sven reached his hands toward Hana but ended up pulling it back and turned to Naomi.
"…this is what happens if you separate us. Remember this and ensure we're together on missions. I'm getting a drink," Sven said before making his way to the kitchen.
"I reset the command so it shouldn't trigger again," Hana said looking over at the others. "It's still in there however if you would like to do it yourself."
With that Hana nodded and went to join Sven before rejoining to watch the others go.

Once the others had completed their simulations, their scores locked in. Naomi looked towards Convel and released a small sigh, "Alright suit guy, you're next. Head down to the starting area and ready yourself" she said simply, motioning to the door out to the stairwell leading down to the starting room.

Convel rose from the metal folding chair he'd parked himself in to watch everyone else's runs. He paused for a moment to take off his jacket and fold it carefully over the chairback. Loosening his tie, he strode towards the weapons and equipment rack. From what he'd seen everyone had been placed in situations where they could first survey the matter but would inevitably be made to solve things with their versions of brute force. Tutting quietly he weighed approaches.

"Let's not go full scrum." he said finally, making a decision and taking a small drone from the rack.

While the drone synced with his HUD he debated further, though for a mercifully shorter time. He took one of the rifles out of the rack and slid the grenade launcher attachment onto it. With a wry grin he grabbed the final piece of his kit from the desk nearby, a small red marker. Sensing everyone's growing impatience he walked briskly down the stairs whistling to himself.

The environment chosen for Convel was rather different than the others, appearing to be something other than a complex or facility. Once the starting room door opened he was greeted with what appeared to be an underground sewer network, an array of tunnels with plenty of corners, crates and dark spots which could easily harbor enemy combatants. The hostage in this simulation would be located at the very last room at the end of the tunnel network. Requiring Convel to work his way down each section, eliminating the targets as quickly as possible to beat the timer and secure the target. Unlike the others who were engaged immediately, APOLLO decided to instead allow Convel to proceed into the first tunnel uninterrupted. He paused there and tutted to himself once more.

"Interesting choice." he muttered.

With a flick he sent the drone buzzing into the dim halflight before him. He chose not to go full vision forward for the moment, letting its camera occupy a postage stamp sized portion of his HUD. Predictably just around the bend and just out of his sight stood a group of men waiting to crack his skull. Opting for rapid impressions for the moment he kept the gnat sized spy moving further into the course. To his chagrin it quickly became clear that this was going to be a thorny thicket to cross.

Once he laid eyes on the hostage, a replica of himself sitting calmly with his hands chained to the floor, he brought the gnat back to the first room. He set it to affix itself at the cieling and allowed its vision to occupy more of his own. The room was around a hairpin turn, and thus only a steel plate separated him from his first challenge. This, at least, he had his time to script out.
He produced the red marker from his vest pocket and began quietly making small red dots along the wall. Pausing once or twice as he did so to focus on the drone's vision fully, he was done with his pointillism after just over a minute. Convel took three steps back from the impromptu canvas and admired his work as he adjusted the sling of his rifle taught.

"Last chance to at least try to do this quietly." he thought to himself. "Yeah fuck that."

Breaking from the methodical pace he'd established, he jerked to motion. The muzzle flash from the rifle illuminated him for fractions of a second, bringing the rapidity of his movement into harsh relief. FLASH he was upright facing the furthest dot to his right. FLASH FLASH FLASH before his image could properly resolve itself he was already facing the other extreme. FLASH FLASH he was on one knee now, a singly dot in the center still intact, two rough oblongs punched into the steel on either side and roughly 5 feet below the remaining mark. All of the other points were perfectly removed, scars in the steel replacing them.
Convel crouch ran to the hairpin. Along the way he took a final look through the gnat's camera before minimizing it. Four virtual corpses lie in the room, three missing hemispheres of their skulls and a final one whose back displayed a pair grapefruit sized wounds where the lungs once were.

He paused at the hairpin to send the drone on ahead, trusting the AI to overlook the clumsily bobbing thing now that he'd started. Sure enough, before he'd come to the the first lot of corpses there were a three simulated thugs thundering down the tunnel towards him. It seemed overeagerness extended to rookie programs too. FLASH FLASH FLASH the first two crumpled to the ground, their heads whipped back as violent periods to end their stories. The third however stumbled to the ground gripping his his throat in agony.

"Fucking light ass triggers." Convel bitched to no one.

WIth a snap shot he finished off the squirming program and continued down the tunnel network. The clock loomed over him as the Sword of Damocles. Before cresting the shallow rise to the next fight he took a deep breath and paused. Silently counted himself in and ran forward.

The burp of suppressed gunfire welcomed him to its den. Twisting he dove for the cover of a shallow alcove. A quick pat on either side to check himself for bleeding while he formulated his plan. The drone revealed that the AI had began flooding the oval room with its goons. The entrances to side rooms and passages all had guards stand pressed against their frames as well. Apollo, it seemed, was not one to play passive.

Tutting his tongue, Convel watched as another group emerged from a side passage. They fell into a rough wide wedge and proceeded towards his sanctuary with careful steps. His time to think running out he acted on impulse. One hand slid the grenade launcher open while its partner shoved a round in the opened action. Pausing to guess at napkin geometry, he pointed the muzzle roughly at the ceiling and fired.

*THUNK*
The shockwave hit his chest simultaneous as he was pressed hard into the far wall of his alcove. He kept his eyes shut tight and pressed the butt of his rifle into his hip. When he felt the invisible hand of the explosion relent he let out a breath and opened his eyes. To his relief no threat stood before him, however as he had expected his silent companion was very much gone. He shouldered his rifle and stepped out.

The fog of pulverized concrete hung in the air. His eyes blinked into night vision automatically, then after finding the gloom impenetrable they blinked once more to thermal. The gray haze of the sewer came into clear and devastated relief. The grenade had done its job and, thanks to the confines of the space, then some.

The initiative was once again his. Once across the haze he blinked his eyes back to normal and found the lights had all died with the occupants of the last room. Blinking back to the green miasma of night vision he resumed his assault. His time was half gone now, but he was getting close. A few bends in the tunnel and one final confrontation was all that remained.

Apollo had been generous thus far, in his estimation. None of the confrontations had been in open space. He'd always been given the opportunity to act before his enemy. Once he entered the large open space before the hostage room, Apollo changed that.

A searing white light staggered Convel, causing him to instinctually recoil. His ears gave the telltale low buzz of an auto-dimmed flashbang. Before he could overcome the automatic responses of his body, his shoulder whipped back painfully causing him to lose his footing and crash to the earth. This was a lucky break he realized as his eyes adjusted, taking in the sight of bullets pounding concrete behind where his head had been moments before.

His augments were still too dazzled to focus, forcing him to rely on the hazy silhouettes his natural vision could make out for targets. He forced himself to exhale and resist the urge to flick the rifle into rock and roll mode. FLASH FLASH FLASH one of the silhouettes crumpled. FLASH FLASH FLASH another stumbled with a clatter. FLASH it stopped moving. The remaining figures in the dark retreated behind columns. He hastily crawled to one of his own and caught his breath.

He had no idea how many more were in here, but he knew he had ten shots left in this magazine. A pat on his back pocket told him the spare he'd put there had been lost. Another unsurprising disappointment. Some good news did at least come with another blink, his night vision was back. With a measured exhale he risked a peek.

He saw a pair of eyes shining pack at him from across the room and fired on instinct. FLASH FLASH FLASH with a cloud of pulverized concrete the shining pinpricks of light jerked and fell to a heap. Gunfire answered his and soon he found himself in enveloped in a cloud of his own. Falling to his knees he risked another peek and saw someone steadily advancing on his cover, firing at where his muzzle had been. Another trio of trigger pulls and the suppressing fire stopped.
Still wary he pressed himself against the pillar and strained his ears. He couldn't hear anything over the beating of his own heart but that wasn't surprising. Staying against his cover he rotated counter-clockwise around it. On the second turn He caught another virtual attacker peeking. Running parallel to them in the direction of the next column he opened fire. As the bolt of his rifle chambered his final round the target contorted dramatically, and two more shot at where he had been.

"Two left." Convel thought to himself. "Two left and I've got one bullet for them to share. Fuck."

The time to improvise was here. He pulled the empty magazine out of his rifle and weighed in in his support hand. Only two and a half minutes left. The time to act was here.

He chuckk the magazine as hard as he could in the direction of the two remaining targets. It bounced off the far wall with a satisfying clack. The panicked yelps of the AI followed as he ran out of cover and towards them. To his great relief and satisfaction they both were diving into the open and away from the imagined grenade. A final report from his rifle caught the closer of the two in shoulder causing them to drop their weapon in pain. The other lay unharmed on the ground but blinking in confusion.

Convel pressed his momentary advantage and rushed the blinking one. As the AI got their bearing and rose to a knee he whipped them viciously across the face with his muzzle. The brake tore open the cheek and bashed against their teeth, forcing several to bend painfully inward. Automatically the AI grabbed their mouth in pain while the momentum of the strike sent them reeling. Convel shrugged out of his sling and grabbed his rifle by its barrel like a club. With a sickening crunch he brought the butt down onto the temple of the reeling simulated man.

He turned to find the one he had shot propping themself up on an elbow and taking aim. He threw his rifle turned club now turned javelin at them. The wet smack of the gore covered butt against the face of the target caused them to jerk and send their shot wild. Before they could recover again he was on them. A loud pop came as his mechanical arm seized their virtual wrist like a vice. The gun fell harmlessly to the ground.

Convel shoved the AI away from himself and the weapon as they wailed. Calmly he grabbed the gun and silenced the screaming guard. With a sigh he proceeded towards the door, the timer ticking down in his peripheral. It opened easily and he found himself smirking. His doppelganger pulled their chains taught and its hands away from the loop securing them to the concrete. With a wry grin the real Convel broke the link with a final pull of the trigger.

The simulation dissolved around him as his twin rose with a laugh. The grin still on his face, the now solitary man turned to face his squad mates. The song he had been whistling on his way down the stairs came back to him as returned. A nice little warm up, he thought. Good to knock the rust off.

Collab bet'w @Winter and @SilentxChaos

By the time they reached the training area, Sierra dozed on her feet. The little nap she'd stolen wasn't nearly enough and now her side was pulsing with a dull ache that occasionally hitched her breath. She figured it was a good sign-- it must be healing, to hurt like it did. But she couldn't help fleeting regret of choosing a fist fight hours before coming to Serenity. She tried to shake it off and concentrate on what Naomi was telling them.

Unfortunately, she was dozing again, and even missed her chance to go first like she wanted. She snapped up when she started leaning too far into Zadok and nearly lost her footing. Her hand shot up. "Me! I want to go firs-- aw," she pouted when she saw Hana stepped out, then squinted. "When did she get here?" she mumbled.

Shaking her head, Sierra stepped forward after Convel, slapping her cheeks to jar wakefulness. "Right. My turn!"

Naomi perked a brow at Sierra who seemed overly eager to get stuck into the training, which was actually a little bit refreshing if not worrying as she'd hoped the girl might have at least some caution about her when it was time for the real thing. "Works for me" she said, turning and keying some more commands into the console, transforming the room below to a version suited to challenge Sierra directly. "Alright head on down to the first room in front of the stairwell, once you're inside, the door opposite you will open after a timed countdown and you'll have eight minutes to clear each room and rescue the hostage. If at any moment you want to stop just say so and I'll terminate the exercise" she motioned towards a bench surrounded by lockers on the far side of the command room, "You should find all your effects over there if you brought any and… good luck… I guess" she shrugged.

Sierra nodded, clapping Naomi on the shoulder. "Got all I need right here. Thanks… er, Boss? Yeah sure."

She didn't wait for a response from Naomi but quickly made her way to the indicated room. She slowed when she came to the effects' room. Hmmm maybe I should ask for a change of clothes? Sierra pulled at her flimsy shirt and sniffed it suspiciously. She made note the gear that was in the room, but decided against using any of it, in case some of those items actually belonged to her teammates. She noticed guns, mostly, and retained enough sensibility to not reach for one. She had zero training in them anyways and would slow her down.

Within a minute, Sierra found the room. She walked in with arms held behind her head as she looked around. "Alright, I'm here! When's this test gonna--"

As soon as Sierra entered the room a digital countdown began above the doors opposite her, counting down from ten. "Once that counter reaches zero you'll have your eight minutes, you'll have no more contact with me during the exercise as you'll be working entirely on your own initiative". Once the countdown hit zero the door slid open revealing a long hallway that very realistically appeared to be in some kind of rundown apartment block, doors lining each side of the hallway, trash and broken glass on the floor along with curious coloured stains hidden behind graffiti.

The door she needed was slightly highlighted for her at the end of the hall and appeared to be an elevator door, but before she'd get to it the door would open let out a single note chime before the door slid open, four armed opponents walking out from within before they noticed Sierra. "Kill the bitch!" one of them yelled as they all took into cover behind outcroppings in the hallway wall, one of them moving behind what appeared to be a discarded couch in the hallway before they peaked out and began shooting.

Sierra raised her arms and tucked low, using them as semi-cover against the fire while looking for cover. Seeing none, she bent, then barreled into the nearest door, smashing through with her shoulder. It smarted as she landed heavily landed on the ground amidst broken splinters. Her foot lashed out to close the door, holding it closed momentarily as she destroyed the lock. "Wow you guys really don't mess around," she grinned at no one, forgetting that Naomi couldn't respond.

She landed in a makeshift apartment, lined with trash and a dirty mattress on the floor. She could hear the men moving up. A quick glance didn't reveal much in use. Mentally shrugging, she decided on plan B. Scrambling to her feet, Sierra took hold of the door and wrenched it free of its hinges. Bullets chipped at the door as the two closest men approached in front of her.

Smirking, Sierra charged.

The door acted as a shield that towered over the girl, not totally stopping the bullets but deterring them enough as she turned it into a battering ram. The guard in front of her screamed as the wooden door bashed with a force of an enraged elephant, pushing him back until he slammed between Sierra and the wall with a sickening crunch. She pivoted and charged the second guy, crushing his right arm between her shield and the wall, forcing him to drop his gun. A quick punch curved around the door caved in his helmeted skull and he dropped.

By now, her door was all but useless as the remaining guards continued firing. Sierra discarded it by throwing it at the guard crouched behind the couch and lunged for one of the downed guard's guns. She raised it and pulled the trigger.

Click. Click. Click click--

"The fuck?" Sierra looked at it with disbelief as the gun refused to fire. "What the hell? Why won't it fire?" She yelled, smacking it a few times.

The opposition had initially moved in on her position after she'd crashed through the door but upon seeing her charge them APOLLO changed tactics and withdrew them back, having them unload bullets into her makeshift cover to weaken it's resolve as much as possible. They shouted orders and information between each other, depicting an accurate scenario as they regrouped back towards the far room and adjacent stairwell on the right side heading upwards. They would dig in and as she tried to fire the gun they would open up on Sierra with a hail of gunfire as they focused their shots on her, each one punching into her with a distinct sting that simulated a hit, albeit not with enough accuracy to simulate actual bullet wound pain as the creators of the VR tech discovered it had adverse effects on the mind and body to the point that people would fall into immediate cardiac arrest as their bodies struggled to determine what was real. As soon as the wall of bullets peppered over Sierra the simulation terminated and the walls and opposition dissolved away.

"Wha- no!" Sierra flinched as she tried to straighten, watching with mounting anger and dismay as the simulation terminated itself. The bullets, real or not, smarted against her bruised ribs. She threw the gun, but it disappeared in midair, instead of giving her a satisfying crash and dent in the wall.

"Damn it!" she ruffled her hair and bared her teeth. "Naomi! Let me do it again." Sierra looked up at the ceiling, attempting to identify where a security camera maybe. "I-- I wasn't taking it seriously. That's my bad, really. Come on you have to."

Naomi looked down onto the bare training room floor from the control center, leaning forwards and pressing a finger onto the intercom. "Alright alright… one more shot" she replied, "Apollo, reset the floor. Sierra head to the starting area.. This time, try 'not' to get hit" she said as everything began to rematerialise before her. It was the same setup as before but unlike before Apollo would actively take her previous movements into consideration, removing the side door from the hall.

Sierra did as instructed, rubbing her hands together with anticipation. This time- this time- she'd get to the hostage for sure. Once the simulation started back up, Sierra was quick enough to notice the apartment she'd originally busted into was gone. She took the same precaution as before, removing herself from the open fire of the four men, by diving into a nearby hallway that dead-ended. Cautiously peaking around the corner, Sierra snapped back when the wall chipped away with a brigade of bullets. She chewed her inner cheek. "Great. Now what?" she muttered to herself.

It dawned on her this wasn't going to go well.

After thriving in fight club arenas, back alley scrimmages, riot breakouts and police raids, Sierra had zero problem in dealing with what came towards her fists. The problem, it seemed, were those experiences equating to "close-quarters combat". Hot and fast and chaotic. Perfect Sierra environment.

This was not perfect-Sierra environment.

She heard the men moving up. She tried to think fast, desperately looking for something to use but the apartment building was just that, and nothing but trash and some decrepit, dust-colored paintings. Tensing up, she waited until the men took initiative to come for her, twitching the whole time. She jumped out when two of the men were three steps away from her hallway. The first went down with a quick hit to the throat. Sierra grabbed his vest and hauled him over her, using him as a shield against his buddy's fire. She threw the man into him, following up with a grab of the still-breathing agent's arm and dislocating it with a foot pushing against his shoulder. He screamed, and she silenced him with a second punch.

As he went down, the remaining agents open fired. Sierra threw herself to the ground. She reached for the first thing that jumped into her hand, the man's gun. Hefting onto her knees, she threw it with all her might at the closest firing opponent.

The gun sailed, striking the closest thug in the forehead causing him to comically fly off his feet and hit the ground with a groan as two others dug in and opened fire beside him, one of them grabbing their fallen comrades arm before they appeared to be backing up the hall away from her. It seemed APOLLO had calculated these opponents wouldn't fare well against Sierra in a close up confrontation and opted instead to withdraw. "Fuck this, get back to the next room!" one of them commanded to the others as they continued to fire off shots trying to hit Sierra, not really aiming as much as they were trying to stop her advancing.

Once into the room at the end of the hall they would pull their friend through before stacking up either side of the door frame, peering out down the hall towards her. "Good luck bitch, you aint got nothin down there that'll get you close to 'ere!" one of them shouted towards her.

"Cowards!" Sierra bellowed back.

A manic grin belied her contempt of the retreating men as she watched them retreat to the very room she needed to get to. Once the gunfire stopped, she scrambled up to her feet, hopping on her toes some as she curiously observed the barricaded door. "Aight. I'm coming in there, so ya better be ready!" She yelled.

Reaching down, she put one hand on the opposite forearm, flexing her fingers with a smirk as she judged the distance and force she'd need to break down the door. Having no real clue as to what the men were using to reinforce the door, she didn't think it could be much. She made small adjustments to her augments. Then, bending down, Sierra got into a sprinter's position, and charged the door. As she ran, a curious thing started happening. It'd be imperceptible to the watching human eye, but not APOLLO, the governing AI. The faintest vibrations hummed from the pipes in the walls, as bits of metal, loose screws and the hanging, old decor, shook and bounced in their place as she passed. As Sierra reached the door, the attackers would find anything metal on their person suddenly protesting their current position and fly towards the entry point. The moment she made contact those pieces would reverse their attraction, flipping towards the back of the room with increased force.

Smirking, Sierra threw her right arm back and struck the door with all her reinforced might.

As the door burst from the hinges it flew back crushing another thug against the wall, the two on either side yelling as they threw themselves back and tried to recompose themselves to take her on, finding their weapons had been thrown from their grip. The one thug to Sierra's right balled his fist as he stepped forwards, aiming a strong hook towards the girls jaw while the other fell back to get his weapon. Inside the room was a normal cheap studio apartment layout with the hostage bound and gagged on her knees in what would make the living room, the hostage screamed and balled herself to the ground in all the commotion. APOLLO worked to throw in more resistance and soon more thugs would arrive from the way of the stairwell located back in the hallway, their yells and running footsteps audible from behind her.

Starlight exploded in her right field of vision and Sierra lashed out. Her arm struck her assailant's head, caving him into the wall behind them. She turned to grab his vest, throwing him across her body and into his buddy who was reaching for his gun. They toppled to the ground, the thug underneath yelling as his arm twisted in the wrong way beneath the extra weight. Sierra quickly bounded across the room and knocked him out with a punch.

"Now that's more like it." Sierra gave a satisfied nod.

Looking to the hostage, Sierra observed she was largely unharmed as she went to the broken door and heaved it up. The other attackers were flooding the hallway. Sierra leveraged her door like a broad javelin. "Don't you worry, we'll be out of here in just-" the girl grunted as she threw it just as they opened fire. "-a second!" Sierra thrust the door into the hallway with the force a fractured boulder; it barreled right through the first thugs heading their group, knocking them into the rest. The door flipped over and fell on those behind, splintering from the force. Pieces of wood showered the group.

While that chaos ensued, Sierra turned triumphant towards the hostage. "See there? Nothing to worry about. Now we just…" As the she reached down to help the captured woman to her feet, she suddenly froze, slowly disappearing in Sierra's grasp. The girl blinked as the simulation ended. She looked around, confused at first, until she saw the timer having reached its eight-minute limit.

"Oh you got to be fu--" A long, hair-raising string of curse words flew off her tongue as she realized she'd failed yet again.

Her surroundings once again returned to the large open training room floor and Naomi looked down from the control room, pressing a finger to the intercom as she spoke. "Alright Sierra, come on back up. And… don't worry too much, there's always next time… I think".

Gears and ratchets ticked away behind a gargoyle's caricature as Grimm watched members of the team work their way through the illusions of the simulation chamber. He stood crouched down, his simian arms wrapped around his shins as he observed their maneuvers and tricks. They were all clever, though the first two seemed a bit more clever than the man and his strange female assistant, who the mutant could now see she was far from an ordinary human, but he still wasn't sure exactly what she was.

Grimm slipped his mask over his corpse-colored face as he stepped forward, gazing at the gauntlet anxiously. His gloved hands ran like hungry spiders over his person, checking, fiddling, feeling every deadly secret and concealed wonder he carried. The mutant nodded once at Naomi before hobbling toward the first room, eyes wide and alert for whatever he might find.

As Grimm stepped into the starting area the simulation began to generate itself around him in the same way that it'd done with the others, orchestrated by APOLLO's sophisticated AI. Each of them appeared to have a differently constructed simulation and for Grimm, his environment took on the aesthetic of a derelict factory, a dark and dingy half lit atmosphere. Once the starting room door opened, Grimm would be greeted with a wide open factory room floor, metal support structures holding up metal catwalks that hung over large machinery. The hostage in this simulation would be located towards the upper section of the simulated factory, guarded by several combatants armed with generic weaponry. Spotlights immediately flooded the environment from above as a voice spoke over a simulated intercom directly to Grimm. "Fucking mutant, your brain must be rotted it if you think you'll walk out of here alive" the voice was deep in tone, indicative of a male.

Doors on multiple sides opened as guards moved into the environment, taking up positions behind support columns and machinery, more ducking low against metal panels on the catwalks above. "Kill 'em", the intercom clicked off as Grimm would be met with a hail of gunfire from the dug in positions.

Grimm's face contorted hideously beneath his mask as he suddenly sprung into the air with a pneumatic hiss and a twang of coiled steel. His cloak billowed with stagnant factory air as he arched over a guard, fists shoving into secret pockets to pull out a pair of metal spheres. A modulated scream of fury escaped the auditory speaker of the mutant's mask as he hurled them at the nearest gunmen. The dark factory flashed with fires of unnatural hues as thunder shook the catwalks, screams being cut short by flame and flak. Grimm grit his teeth as his fingers closed around a chain that trailed off into the shadows overhead, the links jingling like discordant chimes as he soared forward, feeling bullets nick the edges of his cloak as he swung through smoke.

Things hadn't quite played out how he'd hoped, being spotted right away, but the nature of this test was to prove he was able to improvise. He had to appear competent before the new team if he wanted a place in it. They were watching him as he had watched them. They wanted a show, and he intended to give it to them.

The chain ran out of momentum and began to slow before swinging back the way it had come. It clattered as the mutant swung around and unholstered a strange gun cast in brass and steel. A dragon's face leered from the end of the barrel, intricately machined and oiled scales shining bright as the sun as a streak of firework flames lit up the world below with a sharp crack. A guard's body jerked backwards as it was hit, the air filling with foul black smoke as synthetic materials shrank and crumbled in flames over his falling body. Grimm leapt from the chain and locked his hands around the rail of one of the catwalks, his boots landing with a clang on the grimy metal grate as he turned an artful summer-salt. Sparks immediately danced around him as bullets grazed the catwalk. The mutant surged along in a mad dash, reaching into his bag as he frog-hopped from one side of the walkway to the other. Some more smoke was needed, as well as a little confusion.

He grinned as his snaking fingers found their prey, wrapping around two small cylinders and pulling them out into the open. The white one was thrown first, clattering to the floor before one end burst in a stream of white smoke that billowed its way across the room. Grimm wasn't sure if APOLLO could make the illusions susceptible to his hallucinogens, so he'd used a simple smoke screen instead. But there were still other ways to trick the mind, even a simulated one. He glanced down at the black cylinder as his thumb pressed a sequence of buttons on its middle before hurling it into the growing cloud of chemical fog. A mad cackling filled the air and was joined by the deafening spray of a machine gun. Hopefully it would take them time to figure out it was merely a recording. Grimm began hopping through the maze of catwalks toward the hostage, gun ready for any guards that would spring out of the smoke at him.

The confusion worked as the opposing gunmen struggled to pick out a solid target, bumping into one another a little as the failed to coordinate a reliable counter offensive. Those that hadn't already been killed eventually tried to withdraw but found themselves at a loss for what to do about their missing target. By the time they pulled themselves together and moved into the smoke towards the target only to find out it was a recording, Grimm would have made his way to the room with the hostage.

"The fuck is going on down there?!" the voice from before called over the intercom before looking towards the door as Grimm would surely arrive, moving himself to the hostage before pulling him up and placing a gun against his head, "Listen here you mutant piece of shit! Drop your weapons or I'll put a crater in his fucking skull!" the thug spat, pressing the barrel hard into the hostages head.

Grimm tilted his head as he eyed the gunman, the mask hiding his gritted sneer. The mutant played a dozen scenarios in his head as he assessed the situation. Time was running out, and this would cause a severe delay. Every action, from the twitch of a finger to every breath he made would have to be precise. An arm silently rose to show the thug the strange, brazen firearm, the long seemingly, delicate clock-maker's fingers wrapped the barrel. At the same time the other arm had fallen down to his side, but out of view his fingers had crept into a pocket, the tips grabbing at a tiny cylinder tucked away from sight. The moment the gunman's muscles began to relax, the mutant's digits locked around the capsule and flicked it to the floor, slamming his eyes shut as it burst in a titanic flash of white photographic starlight.

The thug grinned and was about to raise his arm with the gun to aim a bullet right for Grimm's head before the flash caused him to yell, bringing his gun hand towards his face as he rubbed his eyes, "Fuck!" he yelled out, stumbling back as he fought to regain his vision.

Grimm struck. His whole body sprung forward with a mechanical hiss, leaping up onto the gunman's shoulders and swung the butt of his gun across his jaw with a sickening crack. The thug crumpled beneath him in a bloodied heap. The mutant holstered his weapon and turned to the hostage, a fully grown man blindfolded and tied in a chair, similar to the other simulations. Without a moment to lose he fell upon the ropes and tore them free, yanking the hostage from the chair and slinging him over his hunched back. With one arm around the man's waist and burdened with the extra weight, Grimm hobbled as fast as he could out onto the catwalks, knowing full well he had only a few seconds left. The heavy air of the factory jolted to life as the angered shouts of the few remaining thugs rose out of the gloom, the mouths they came from quickly moving from the other side of the vast room.

Grimm dove down a ladder, his free arm working in tandem with his crooked legs to scurry down the framework like a contorted spider over a rusted cobweb. The hostage cried out in confusion and terror as a bullet whizzed through the air a few feet away. Grimm swore and jumped to the ground, loping to the door full speed.

The simulation fell away in glittering chunks as he leapt through the door. Grimm stumbled as the weight of the hostage vanished, and he found himself facing his peers once more. He glanced over at the timer. Seven minutes and fifty three seconds. The mutant turned and gave a tired bow.

(Collabed with Winter)

Naomi watched each simulation critically, observing through both the cameras offered through APOLLO and via the windows in the control room allowing them to look out over the training room floor with some what of a birds eye view. She mentally made notes, moving her eyes to the screens adjacent to the cameras which ran numbers and statistics as well as a point score produced based on variables such as hits taken, time completed and opponents dealt with. Her brow furrowed at times, eyebrows raising at others and sometimes even a smirk would grace her usually stoic features when one of them would manage a creative or particularly interesting feat of skill. Once everyone was back in the control room and the simulations had finally ended, the camera screens faded, replaced what looked like a leaderboard detailing their final scores along with a letter grade beside it calculated by APOLLO's advanced AI.

The Lieutenant had said nothing as Sven dismissed himself, having watched him leave during the sessions and while she'd have preferred him to stay she simply decided not to press him too much as he appeared to an individual who wouldn't respond well to it. "Alright" she said as her eyes moved down the leaderboards, showing the following information.

#1 Convel (Score: 1385746)

#2 Zadok (Score 1385745)
Rank A+

#3 Hanlon (Score: 1245665)

#4 JD (Score: 1244667)

#5 Grimm (Score: 1165435)

#6 Sven (Score: 1158944)

#7 Sierra (Score: 1023456)

#8 Hana (Score: 98745)

The displayed scores would sit on screen before they would then filter into a larger leadboard for all the Stalkers within Serenity, their names and scores separating from each other into the roster but all of them aside from Hana seeming to score on the upper half of the board with Sierra teetering on the edge of being on the lower half. There were a fair amount of names on the roster but what was perhaps the most interesting part of the whole visual representation was that Naomi's name could be found at the very bottom of the leaderboard. For why this was however Naomi wasn't explaining, in fact if she cared it all it wouldn't be showing on her features as she turned towards the group with a small smile. "You all did very well, of course there's always room to improve" she began, "Once you familiarise yourselves with the base, you can come back here during your free time to work on your score and try to rise up the board... it doesn't mean anything aside from bragging rights but it's fun competition if you're into that" she shrugged.

"Now I noticed most of you making the same mistake when you found the hostage, an easy mistake but one that can cost you in the field" she looked between them as she spoke, "Most of you untied the hostage. I wouldn't generally advise you don't do that for a number of reasons, the first and foremost being that you're not aware of the mental stability of that person during a high stress situation such as that. If that hostage becomes hysterical or combative, not only are you dealing with your opposition but you're also having to deal with them also... that means potentially risking their lives and your own, more so with a time constraint" she said, realising for a moment that she was actually might be doing a good job with this whole training stuff. "... holy shit I just made sense... that's a weird feeling... " she commented before shaking her head. "That aside you all did really well as you can see by your placements on the board, so well done all of you".

She turned and made a small movement with her head for them to follow her out of the control room down the stairwell back to the training room floor, pausing once they were a good distance into the training space before turning on her heel towards them. "The next stuff to cover is pretty basic shit, nothing none of you can handle but its a good idea to showcase a little of what you can do to the rest of the team" she said before pulling out the tablet and swiping her fingers along it's surface causing what seemed to be a large mech to be constructed in the centre of the the training room. "Now before you get worried, it's not going to attack or move from that spot. All it's going to do is stand there while you beat on it" she said with a small amused expression, "Aim of the game is to deal as much damage to it as possible so APOLLO can run your damage output and threat numbers, unlike in the simulation it's not gonna suddenly blow up into weird light fragments or move about. For intents and purposes it's just a dummy to aim at... just make sure you hit it".

She moved to the side, allowing whoever wanted to go first to step up and have a go at pushing as much damage into the dummy as they could. Naomi briefly paused before adding, "Oh and just so we're clear... don't do anything that's going to destroy half the base, be reasonable even if it hurts your score. I'd rather you got a shitty score and we talk out the rest of what you can do than have to explain to Farro why we lost half the training room floor" she gave a small chuckle, moving herself over to the bench stands and taking a seat on it where she could watch from a good distance while watching the tablet to see their scores.

Last edited:
Everyone else's training continued and JD found an empty chair for maximum viewing. He twirled an escrima stick in his hand idly while cheering everyone on. The times something bad happened he'd flinch and offer an "Oooh" or a "Better luck next time!" Overall, giving everyone thumbs up when they returned. Seeing his new teammates fighting was more interesting than not to him. This was one of those 'don't judge a book by its cover' scenarios that he had learned and he was excited to see what they could do. He was even more excited to see when the stakes would be raised on their first mission. These guys could definitely handle their own by the looks of it.

The twirling stopped when the leaderboards were put on display. JD sat up at full attention, scanning the board from bottom to top. When he found his name, he gave a toothy grin and spun in his chair. "Woo! Alright, number four! Not too bad for a first try." He chuckled, letting the chair stop on its own while Naomi explained they were free to get better scores later. The idea alone took most of his attention because the rest of what Naomi started to say in regards to mistakes made seemed to go in one ear and out the other. His mind wandered to the idea of partner training and other settings the training simulators had. Before his thoughts could trail too far, Naomi was leading them off to their next assignment.

He quickly scrambled up to follow the group. Excitement turned into confusion and curiosity when the simulated mech was set in front of them. "Huh.. well. That takes some of the fun out of it don't you think?" Despite the question, JD was removing the other escrima stick off his back and began to fiddle with them while sizing up the mech. "Seems a little unfair for the mech. But whatever boss says goes I guess." He took several steps backwards setting himself up for a full sprint at the mech. In the process, he connected the two escrima sticks together. Had it been moving, it would have been much easier to pick a section to use as leverage. The flat ground wasn't at his advantage either, but he made do. The slightly extended arm was enough of a platform for JD to jump off of and reel his arms back before slamming the bo staff into the 'face' of the mech. Strength wise, JD was still an average guy- maybe slightly above average since he trained. So he didn't expect it to shatter or anything- although that would have been pretty cool. Instead, he hoped the slight jolt of electricity would do the trick, or at least, give the impression of doing the trick right.

In some brief moment of thought, he wondered if he should have tried attacking it more than once. However because his concentration broke and he technically didn't have a full plan, gravity caught up to JD's parkour tricks and he crashed back to the ground after the strike. "Hn.. Yeah alright, less unfair for the mech. That one was on me." Fortunately, he managed to shake it off with a laugh and a sore tailbone. During his descent, he let go of his staff and it ended up falling on his lap a few moments later. "Well." He stood and broke the staff in two again. "That coulda hurt... worse." JD walked his way to the side in order to let the next person have a shot at the mech. "Win some, lose some?" He shrugged at Naomi and wandered to the side in order to get out of everyone else's way. While off to the side he watched and fiddled with his weapons, turning the 'tasers' on and off.

Sven kept an eye on the remaining people alongside Hana, watching the others run through the scenes and observing how they adapted to the situations presented to them. He wasn't necessarily surprised seeing most of them complete the simulations, if they didn't know what they were doing they wouldn't have been invited to Serenity in the first place. It was interesting to see what all they were good at, arching his brow at their tactics some novice some advanced especially among the older ones in the group, which spoke more about their experience than words ever could. Sven tapped on his tablet on occasion as he watched, his eyes narrowing a bit at a select few before he put it away and folded his hands behind his back. His eyes moved over to Hana noticing that her eyes had shifted to red when the one named Sierra had stepped up.
"Problem?"
"Just looking at something," Hana responded her eyes returning to their normal hue.
Sven seemed to remained calm up until the one named Grimm stepped forward, seeing him pull out trinkets his eyes widened and his gaze shot over to Hana before he pointed down into the arena.
"Oi...he got to use his trinkets...what was this about playing fair," Sven said narrowing his eyes at his companion.
"I lied," Hana said keeping her attention focused ahead.
"I...hate everything that makes you you."

When everything concluded Sven stared at the leaderboard as Naomi explained what they had 'done wrong' in the simulation. Hana stared at the woman listening mainly for Sven as he crossed his arms, mouth twitching as he stared at his score. He eventually returned as they moved on, Hana explaining to him what Naomi had just told them. He only offered a nod in response going back to his pad as they walked.
He knew Hana didn't necessarily care about leaderboards or the like so he felt little guilt making her pay attention to their orders, that and she'd just blame the failure on him ultimately. The general problem on dealing with hostages was caring about the person being in danger living through the encounter, bits of data or not it was a bothersome scenario and he disliked the idea of ever doing a mission with such a stipulation. This made him wonder if they were able to decline missions or take other ones, protecting people wasn't really his forte after all.

Putting aside his own judgement for the time being he raised his head when they made it to their next destination, his eyes moving over to Naomi as she explained what the next test was, a sigh escaped from him at the idea of another trial.
"Another test huh..." Sven said staring at the mech ahead.
Summoning them all here then running them through gauntlets, he squeezed the bridge of his nose stopping his thoughts from going any further. He had to remain somewhat calm at the moment, whether he liked this scenario or not he couldn't allow himself to walk away from this annoying process. He just had to suck it up and play along for now, push the anger down and deal with it to the best of his ability, walk away when the anger comes and maintain an absolute calm.
That was easier said than done as the one named JD was not only loud but surprisingly easy to dislike.
He watched the other loud ones first attempt at the mech, glancing over at Hana noticing she was surprisingly focused on the movements of the stick wielding youth up until the end, which she offered a small applause towards him for his attempt. Sven knew it was sincere but it was sometimes hard to tell with her blank expression. He stared at the mech moving his hand to his chin as he took a moment to observe the object in front of him, he wondered what kind of model this was, just as he was about to pull out his pad and do a quick check, maybe try to figure out a glaring weak point in it's design he stopped seeing Hana walking forward.
"I'll go next," Hana said.
"The hell you will," Sven said lowering his pad. "She said not to destroy the training room."
"...I'll hold back."
"No you won't and I'm not dealing with the backlash, we'll do it together like always."
Sven took a step forward with Hana who offered a small shrug to him and took a few steps forward, Sven reached up and rubbed his wrist with a sigh as Hana leaned her neck to the side and rotated her shoulders, a few cracks following before she went still once again.
Staring up at the mech she looked at her first before turning and looking back at Sven.
"Sven can you turn it into a car?"
"...you know I'm going to say no right?"
"I'll forgive you for erasing my shows...I want to try something."
"I'm not doing that, it's a mech deal with it."
Hana turned back around and Sven noticed her shoulders droop a bit, her unhappiness wasn't his concern, he wasn't playing along with her weird musings today. Sven held his fingers towards Hana and the wires shot out of his sleeve before stabbing into the back of Hana's body.
The woman flinched a bit before her body relaxed slightly, Sven moving his fingers slightly causing Hana to move in response. She opened and closed her hands a few times, the wires letting off a small glow as data flowed through them before fading back into a dull color.
"Okay...synchronizing...adjusting damage output...and we're good. Do you have any control?"
The makeshift marionette cocked her head back at her puppeteer, compared to before her face somehow seemed calmer if that was even possible giving the minimal use of muscles being used in her expression.
"Minimal."
"Good...we'll keep it simple just hit the thing."
Turning back around Hana turned and walked towards the mech Sven finger's slowly moving as she made her way towards the mech with a casual gait. Compared to before Hana walked with a bit more conviction, a presence surrounding the woman almost for a second making her appear human, lifelike in a fashion even with bits of strings poking out of her back, permitted to walk onto the stage now that she was in her natural attire. Once she was within striking distance of the mech she raised her hand up as if she was shaking the hands of the device, and put her fingers against the bottom of the mech. She took in a breath and exhaled her body shifting for a moment, her hand closing into a fist with the slightest of movement. The Mech flew backwards it's legs leaving the floor before they returned to the ground a few feet away from the woman, the indent of her fist now a part of the mech.

Hana lowered her hand and mentally counted the distance she had pushed the mech back, Sven had basically just wanted her to shove it back a few feet, feeling that was enough.
"I'm making adjustments later," Sven said flexing his fingers. "I think that tic is back."
The wires came out of Hana flying back into his sleeves, the woman flinched and with a sigh she faded back into the background as she always did making her way back over to Sven.
"You should have made it a car..."
"I'll make one later we're in the middle of something,'" Sven respond sighing. "Consider it a bonus for actually listening."
With a nod Hana walked past Sven causing him to arch a brow before she walked over to JD, staring down at the man she pointed at his sticks.
"Curious," she said making sure to meet his gaze.
"Hana."
Hana glanced back at Sven who stood a few feet away, his eyes shut and a hand in his pocket. She watched him noticing his tapping foot and looked back at JD.
"If possible...let me see them later."
Hana turned away from JD and made her back to an impatient Sven who turned to watched the rest of the members of their motley crew.

Han cocked his eyebrow and shrugged as he saw the results come up on the board. This attempt at quantification seemed strange to him. Combat, from what he has seen in his life, was so absurdly multifaceted thing that even the thought of expressing it in such short list of numbers was just wrong. But whatever makes the paperworkers happy, he thought, and off from trying to interfere with actual human labour.

The mech takedown was something much closer to his heart. That was something he knew from before.

Walking armor was quintessential for any kind of modern urban warfare. A city block can be easily turned into a small fortress, by quickly building barricades, barring up windows and booby trapping sewers. You were of course trapped inside if you did all of that, but the Rebellion decided to let themselves be trapped at home. Han was not sure if barding yourself up at your home counts as being trapped. Regardless of that, wheeled vehicles needed relatively flat surfaces to travel. Tracked armor could handle some rubble and simple barricades, but you needed a proper walker to get through a barricade that was made out of a dropped skyscraper. As such, they were the highest threat to any defensive position the Rebellion had set up, and Musilin knew that. The Regiment quickly requisitioned any police riot control walker they could find. Rubber bullet shotguns were replaced with chainguns, tear gas dispensers replaced with flamethrowers. Dubbed "hellwalker", these mechanical perversions quickly became the worst and most hated enemies of the Rebellion. Something had to be figured out.

Something less suicidal than trying to hit it with a stick. Or trying to hack it, no matter how high arcane level of computer science you knew.

Han stood up and faced the mech. "Now, if I may. JD here had the right idea, in a way. However, you need to think ahead, so you don't have to waste time thinking in the heat of the moment. S'what kills you, especially with these things. This seems like an PW-51(rc), if Sven and Hana would agree, yes? Phased out a few years ago, but reliable design, the newer PW-53 is not all that different, but the electronic control suite has better DMZ and firewall solutions, or at least that's what I heard. The outer armor is electrified to 200 kilovolts, too, to prevent people just putting limpet mines on the legs. However, there is a weakness which, to my knowledge, hasn't been fixed so far."

He reached into his coat and pulled out a glass bottle, about two thirds in filled with dark amber-red liquid sloshing inside, with a rag wrapped around the top. It was reeking of petrochemical products and engine oil well into the second row of onlookers. "Now, you all know this one from the history book, I imagine no explanation is necessary here. There are many variations, depending on materials you have on you at the given time. You can have different flammable liquids inside, though usually you want a mix of something that is sticky, something that is burning quickly and something that burns slow. You can light it with a rag, with a flare, anything you can soak in flammable liquid. Knew a guy who was a womanizer, he used spare undergarments of his girlfriends, that can work as well."

"But that is not the trick. The trick is in the hydraulics, or specifically, the Raybach brand self-sealing hydraulic fluid running inside them. In theory, and in practise, when the hydraulic hose gets pierced, the liquid that leaks scabs over the hole and seals the hose, so the mech can at least make it back and doesn't go limp right in the middle of the fight. Funny thing is, this scabbed matter, if coupled with certain catalyst and hight temperature starts to burn at very, very high temperatures." He raised the bottle and pulled out a flip lighter. "Bottoms up."

He flipped the lighter open and lit the end of the oil-soaked rag hanging from the bottle. "Now, you want to wait a sec, to get it burning nice and hot, and then throw it hard enough it will break upon impact!" With a well practised move, he reared his arm back and tossed the bottle at a right knee of the mech. The bottle broke with a soft clink, and the onwatchers could see the flammable fluid spray around. Then the burning rag touched few drops of the oil, and a deep, loud whoosh sound follow as the room got filled with a bright red flash and wave of heat. A moment later, the automatic fire suppression systems kicked in and fire retardant foam was sprayed from the corners of the room, coating the mech's right leg, and stopping the fire.

Hanlon was unamused. "Welp. That was... somewhat unexpected, he commented. It usually takes about ten seconds before the flames get hot enough to melt the hydraulic hoses. Imagine the whole mech on fire if you will. Dramatization welcome. People screaming, sirens blaring, a random trash can also on fire."

Collab bet'w @Happy Trails and @SilentxChaos

Convel hummed his song all the way through the last chorus and into the waiting room outside the AI fueled jungle gym. His wry grin returned when he saw relatively blank expressions of his squadmates. The animated exception, to his surprise, was the woman who'd been zoned out for almost the entire time he'd known her. She was in such a rush to get in there after him her feet scarcely touched the stairs on the way down. Standing perplexedly blinking at her wake for a moment he shrugged and returned to his seat.

As he let his eyes unfocus on the monitor in front of him, his mind returned to the quiet fog of impressions it had been before. The woman was there in her simulation, and it didn't take any real talent to see she was asking to be baited. Sure enough APOLO played it just so. Still, she surged ahead with near animalistic fervor in futility. By the time she was chasing the soldiers in their final retreat a thought had fully formed in his mind.

"The chrome's good and she knows how to use it, needs practice with the beef." Her final crash into the hostage room forced him to smile and amend this. "The chrome's good and she's amazing with it, still needs to practice with the beef."

The show over, and the next batter on deck Convel gave the group as a whole another appraising look. They were a carnival for sure, but at least they seemed to be one with more aces in the hole than jokers in the pack. Once the woman came back into the room he could feel the frustration coming off of her in waves. A small part of him that had never left team sport behind spoke up then.

"Good motor."

Sierra was burning a hole into the wall with her angry stare, too busy muttering "dumb AI" this and "fucking unrealistic simulation" that to register Convel's comment. She grunted and nodded. Half a minute later she blinked and something in her expression cleared. "Wait, wha?" she turned to the man.

"Good motor." he repeated, a warmer lopsided smile replacing his previous one. After a beat he added, "Y'know good effort."

Another blink reflected her taking Convel in for the first time. Being half-asleep through most of her teammates' performances, it occurred to her she didn't quite know what they looked like or who they were-- apart from Zadok. And maybe Bird-Face, though his appearance couldn't be forgotten by anyone. She leaned back and swept Convel up and down with a fighter's eye, sizing up a potential opponent. He was human, mostly, like herself with pesky soft flesh and bone. Something about him suggested he acted older than he was, which reminded her of Arnos, her second older brother who headed the family when their mother was at work. A critical eyebrow rose at his attire-- she couldn't even begin to put a name to it, but it looked silly. Like something those semi-rich folk would dream up to pretend they had more money than they did, except Convel made it look like fashion of a bygone generation.

Under this lingering look he was taken back to a time not too long ago, when such things were chances to pound his chest. Memories of sitting in bars with other young hot blooded men, fueled by testosterone and social oneupsmanship as much as alcohol. Flexing everytime a gaze lingered too long. These memories caused the smile on his face to falter. The look he was getting was far more interrogative, and even the echoes of his arrogance made him uncomfortable.

Eventually her eyes lighted onto his arm, his smile falling fully from his face when they did. Immediately, all aggression deflated as she started reaching for it. "Another one, eh? This group's just getting better and better. May I see? What's the reading on this? Is it custom or streamline job?"

"Reading? " he raised an eyebrow in confusion, then after upon hearing her next question, he proffered the prosthesis. "Sure, go crazy. Don't know too much about it. It was a nicer retirement present than the watch they normally hand out.

Sierra had his sleeve pushed up as he spoke but nearly dropped his arm in disbelief. "What you mean, you don' know much? You dunno what's attached to your own flesh?"

Pulling his arm out, Sierra's fingers danced along it with prodding lightness, feeling its density as she turned it this way and that. As her hand passed, he felt the faintest tingle and twinge. "Hm. You got a dense piece here, that's for sure. Probably meant for mid-ranked warehouse workers. My brother says loads of workers at the docks got them, those that handle the shipments and loading. Feels pretty light though. Don' suppose there's other specs to this?"

"What can I say? I didn't want to know much about it." He shrugged. "Woke up with a new arm and a pair of doctors that sounded more like they were trying to sell me a vid screen than give me a prognosis. Boys told me that they persuaded HR to cover some upgrades and it was industrial strength."

His skin began to crawl the way it always did when he focused too much on the prosthesis. He could feel the skin at the connection point inflame and rebel, crying out for its lost organic companion. With a slow breath he pulled the cigarette off of his ear and dug in his vest for his lighter.

"You probably already know more about it than I do, to be frank." He chuckled.

Her face screwed up. "How can you not know what's attached to you?" she repeated herself. Dropping his arm, she stepped back and placed fists on her hips. "Well, you probably ain't wrong but without getting my tools I know 'bout as much as those doctors rattled off to you. If you ever wanna lemme at it, I'll make it worth your time."

Sierra winked before getting distracted by Naomi's talk. She made a half-disgusted look at the idea of yet another test, but it quickly deflated to some thoughtfulness as her gaze drifted back to Convel's arm. "How did ya come to lose it anyways?"

For an instant Convel was filled with a snapshot of the smell of antiseptic, the sound of his ears ringing, and the taste of copper. Biting on the inside of his cheek he took a long drag from his cigarette. As he exhaled a cloud of smoke the momentary surge of adrenaline quieted and allowed him to answer in an even keel.

"I was impatient." He smirked. "Ran through a boobie trapped door."

"Ah. That sucks," Sierra replied. She shoved her hands into her coat's pockets, lingering with Convel as the group moved to the next area. "Whaddya do that for?"

"Dude on the other side needed to die." he said matter-of-factly, letting out a small grunt of exaggerated effort as he got to his feet and slung his coat over his shoulder. "It was a teachable moment though, that's for sure. What about you? You get that chrome voluntarily? Let's walk and talk. "

She made an emphatic grimace, feeling for the guy. She opened her mouth to correct him on his usage of chrome, thinking it'd be a nice plating but horrible base metal for prosthesis, when he redirected her question to… well, her. Sierra chuckled nervously and scratched her head. "I, uh, I dunno exactly."

As they walked, she held out her hands and stared at them with a little frown. Tiny nicks and and chipped coating revealed their age, despite Sierra's extreme diligence and care. Her hands and under arms were crafted from dull gray metal, industrial-grade like Convel's, with a thicker plating running up her forearms to the shoulder, protecting the delicate interior workings. Not as nice-looking as her talking partner's, but doubtless boasted extra augments Sierra wouldn't trade for even the top-grade components. She flexed and wiggled her fingers.

"I don't remember anything about the… the accident." She shrugged and lowered her arms. A second later, she reached up again to tug at the chain on her neck. "Pa told me it was some kinda explosion. Burned my arms to crisps, eye boiled in its socket. Um... oh, can't feel anything in my calves no more but they're flesh. Mostly."

Grinning, she reached down to pat her leg, making an awkward hop in the process. "Didn't wake up with any fancy new limbs though. Lucky you." Sierra teased with a smirk.

"I just hope the reaper doesn't realize I'm playing with loaded dice." he chuckled. "You remember when that accident was? Wonder where I was when it happened."

"April 22nd, 2898. Six years ago."
They reached the training floor. Sierra paused long enough to hear Naomi out. She still felt salty about her failure, and the idea of hitting something as hard as she could earned a vicious grin. "Now that is what I'm talking about," she muttered under her breath. She glanced over at Convel with a raised eyebrow, continually playing with her necklace. "So? 'Member where you were?"

"Eeyup." Convel paused to consider the Paladin in front of him with a dubious quirk of his brow. "I was walking my beat, South Howston blocks S337a to S339c. Can't say I remember getting any calls or anything about it." with a flourish he took what remained of his cigarette and stubbed it out on the back of his mechanical hand. "Happy to know at least I wasn't that accident."

"My name's Convel by the way. Don't think we've been properly introduced." he extended his organic hand.

"That far into the poor districts? You wouldn't." Sierra replied.

She raised an eyebrow to his hand and slowly took his grip in her own. "Sierra," she answered.

"You're a cop, ain't ya? Don' suppose you know a former precinct captain by the name Khunalki? Used to oversee the Docks?"

As Sierra questioned him she kept a firm hold on his hand until he felt faint discomfort. Convel's grin broadened as her grip tightened. Being an officer meant accepting hostility from those you served. For most it came in fake smiles and passive aggressive gestures, though the longer you worked the more naked it became. Though she did not know it, this maneuver by her had crystallized his impression. This, at least, was someone he understood and could work with.

"Only by reputation and an outdated one at that. I was a beat cop for a year then went to gang squad so I didn't deal with the day to day of the docks. Why, did he get on your bad side?"

She nodded. "Good. Saves you being a messenger for me." Matching his grin, Sierra released him. "Oh, you got no idea."

She made a fist with one hand and slammed it into the palm of the other, her eyes sparking with malicious intent as she turned back to the group making their strength debuts. The mere thought of the captain she mentioned got her blood boiling. She needed to hit something-- hard. Fidgeting, Sierra glanced sideways at Convel. "You ain't going next… are you?"

Convel tutted his tongue softly and looked at the Paladin once more. After a moment of consideration he turned back to Sierra and said with a smirk "I don't feel much like playing by the rules on this one do you? Just because the assignment is stupid doesn't mean we have to be."

Both eyebrows perked up as Sierra glanced between him, Naomi and the training dummy. Her eyes sparked with mischief. "Wha' ya got in mind, uh…." Sierra's eyes swept him up and down as her arms crossed. "Uh...hm. This is usually easier...oh well. We'll stick with Convel."

Convel chuckled and pulled his coat back on. "Nothing? Not Scarface or Bluebird or Hipster? I'm sure you'll figure it out later. Seeing as I'm fresh out of rocket launchers and air strikes I think we oughta get creative." He gestured at the paladin with a wave of his hand. "These things fall over a lot. Well, comparatively. They're top heavy hunks of junk that intimidate more than anything, least that's the way the motor-pool boys talked about them. I reckon you're strong enough, from what i've seen. that if you hit it right square in the canopy as hard as you can it might just-" With his hand him mimed it crashing to the ground.

"After that it goes into an emergency mode if there's no conscious or live pilot in the cockpit. There's an emergency latch that deploys on the outside for responders to pull. Blows the canopy clean off. Might not be 'fucking it up' the way they intended, but a disabled mech is a disabled mech. Plus the real point of all this bullshit is for us to start working together right?"

Her head tilted this way and that, analyzing the mech with her chin tucked into a palm as she listened to Convel. The exercise seemed simple enough, Sierra thought, and she wasn't entirely sure what bending the rules was going to do for them. Even so, Sierra never been one much for rules. A smirk crept its way onto her features.

"Is it? Certainly don't feel like it."

She nibbled at a fingertip. "Thing looks pretty sturdy… but yeah, I can get it knocked down." The girl turned and smirked at him. "What's your role in this though, partner?"

"Me? Oh I pull the handle." Convel smiled. "Can't go getting myself dirty."

Sierra barked a laugh. "Can't get those pretty clothes ruined, can we?" Folding her arms, she leaned back against the wall. "Alright you got yourself an accomplice, Officer. Pro'ly should wait for the others though...I'd hate to break the toy before the others' get their debut yeah?"

Convel shook his head with stifled chuckle. "Fair enough. S'pose we'd better play nice with everyone." He pulled his pack of Coffin Nails out of his coat a with a smack opened it to Sierra. "Want one?"

Sierra gave a side glance and wrinkled her nose. "No thanks."

His frame was silhouetted by an explosion of electricity. He half turned to look the source of the sizzling ozone. The street kid was standing with his arms akimbo while current rippled across the stoic form of the Paladin. With a low whistle Convel turned back to Sierra.

"So the light show is just him, eh? Groovy."

Giggling at Sparky's comical fall, Sierra didn't immediately register Convel's remark. "Huh? Oh yeah. Kinda fun, makes me think of…" Her voice died through when she witnessed Hana and Sven's debut. Her mouth dropped, watching the mech fly as Hana's fist and she released a long, low whistle.

"'Scuse me for a moment." Sierra went over to the pair and began peppering Sven with "how you do that?" and, "what's the reading on your damage output?", all the while reaching for Hana's arm and looking at it with shock and awe.

Convel shrugged while his partner in crime flitted away for a moment. He listened with mild interest while Hanlon gave his lecture on the specifics of the Paladin's weaknesses. He lit his cigarette and considered the incidental details, letting his eyes focus on the trail of smoke for a second. Things were falling into a neater picture for him. One made of news reports, war stories from older officers, and rumors from his less scrupulous friends. As the flames rushed for a split second across the mech's canopy the frame was made.

"Still trying eh." He muttered to himself. With the roar of the fire suppression system he was snapped back to the present. "Sierra I think it's our go."

Sierra had her chin in one hand, leaning towards Hana with an indomitable smirk. "So, you got any plans ton--" she stopped when her name called. Looking up, she saw Convel coming near and sighed. "'Scuse me, gotta make my debut. Don' go anywhere yeah?" She winked.

Capering to his side, Sierra made a little wave at Naomi as she beelined for the mech. "Ya sure about this? I mean I'm all for bending the rules a bit, just not seein' what you're getting out of all this."

"To ride your coattails of course."

Even as she talked, Sierra shrugged out of her ragged coat and tossed it into a corner. She rotated her right arm, inspecting its condition, while analyzing the mech. She hadn't paid one cent towards hearing Hanlon's little speech, too 8enraptured with the cyborg girl and her puppetmaster, and missed the opportunity to understand what stood before her. She chewed her cheek as she estimated the mech's weak spots and the calibrated force she needed to knock to the ground and permit Convel to do his thing. Her right eye gleamed brighter as she flexed and looked to the man.

"Ready Officer?"

"As I'll ever be."

Convel stepped stride for stride with her for the start. The clicks of their heels in unison solidifying their conspiracy. Upon reaching an invisible mental line of commitment he stopped, letting her overtake him and enact the primary phase of his plan. Sierra swept past him. She broke into a run, gaining momentum, and with a short cry punched the mech with all her might. To her disappointment, the mech didn't fly off its feet, but she hadn't really expected that outcome. Her hit connected to its lower leg joint. No flashy show of strength or mech-destroying prowess. The reinforced armor caved beneath her fist, injuring its inner workings, and with a groan the mech went down to a knee-- or, whatever its equivalent was.

"Holy shit." was Convel's immediate response. Blowing out a knee wasn't the plan or something he had thought possible, but it did give the now rapidly improvising part of his brain an idea. "Guess it's time to see what this piece of junk can do."

Doing his best impression of Sierra he charged the Paladin. As his warcry facsimile escaped him he jumped up the bent leg and unloaded a right hook into the canopy. A loud dull clank rang out and echoed in the room. To his shock the force from the blow was enough to send him hurtling backwards to the ground, a mirror of the mech crashing along with him.

"Fuck." he winced. "Maybe I should learn what this thing can do. Pull the handle. Should be bright red next to the canopy."

"Hah! Ya should really work on your landing, Convel," Sierra shouted as she reached for the handle. Her fingers barely began to curl around it before it wiggled, then snapped into its opening position. The canopy blew open. The explosion caused her to recoil slightly as the force of it sent the cover flying clean off. With a slight flourish she jumped down.

"All done!" She grinned and gave a mocking bow.

Convel rose from his splaid out position and joined the bow letting out a half hearted. "Ta da."

Zadok stared reverently at the colossal machine with his eyes. What a magnificent war-machine, even if it was only essentially a model. He counted himself lucky to have had the opportunity to fight alongside an older World Government model sometime during the silica jihad. What a sight it was, to see an entire profaned factory be brought down to rubble with but only a single strike. Truly, Zadok thought, there was no greater or more glorious sight.

But the machine wasn't the only thing that caught his eye. By complete random chance, or maybe by the will of the Deus Mechanicus, one of his new squad-mates possessed a rather unique ability. He transmitted a small blurt of data that, once decoded, contained a short message.

<I HAVE FOUND THE DIVINE CONDUIT. AVE DEUS MECHANICUS.>

Once done, he patiently waited until it was his turn to step up and face the mech.

He walked towards the great metal beast and gently placed a metal hand on it's leg. With a silent plea of forgiveness, he reached inside of his robes to pull out a data-spike that was attached to a cable that ran under his sleeve and somewhere into his body, before slamming the spike and puncturing the steel-hull. Within moments, Zadok was communing with the machine, bypassing the firewalls, as data flowed to and from each other.

<"Machine."> He intoned, still standing. <"Kneel."> For a moment, there was nothing. But then, the generator within the giant machine sparked into life and the mech's internal machinery started to hum into life. It's joints whined as it dropped down to one knee. Zadok, unplugging himself and thanking the mech for allowing communion, took a step back and stood infront of it. Then, taking out his galvanic pistol, fired a single shot at the lowered and now exposed cockpit, right where the pilot's head would have been. Satisfied that it was a good demonstration of his skills, he turned around and took his place among the crew once more.

Grimm watched the team's attack on the stationary mech from behind the gray steel of his mask. His eyes flashed with curiosity at the weapons used by the younger man. The crackling blue staffs reminded him of something he'd dreamed up at one point but had never found the time to work on. They were used with considerable skill by the purple-haired one, and it was clear he'd had some sort of training in regards to combat. The next two also earned the mutant's interest. It was the man and the strange woman from earlier, and the man seemed to have attached long wires from his sleeve to the woman, who then knocked the whole machine backwards. Grimm tilted his head. Clearly one of them was an android, or a cyborg, at the least. More likely the girl.

The mutant gritted his teeth behind his mask as he held back a snicker. He'd been very interested in the one called Han's speech having rarely encountered such mechs in his home district, but the way the plan of attack had suddenly been extinguished by the room's safety measures was simply comedic gold. At the same time the mutant understood how effective it was. He hobbled over to Han and nodded, trying to offer support.

"A sound strategy," he murmured, voice muffled from behind his mask, "Very effective out on the field. Improvisation is key, after all."

Next up was the well dressed gentleman and the woman with the metal arms. They worked surprisingly well together, managing to bring the machine to its knees and tearing open the cockpit. Grimm steepled his fingers as the cybernetic priest stepped in and somehow communed with the mech, bringing it down to it's knees to fire a shot into where the exposed cockpit.

It was his turn now. The mutant clasped his hands for a moment as he glanced around at the group. He lacked the cybernetic upgrades some of them had. He didn't even possess a conventionally formed body. But he'd learned to work around those drawbacks. Grimm reached into his bag and retrieved a steely sphere, pitching it into the open cockpit.

There was a flash of white light and a crack of thunder, and the machine's interior blazed wildly until the room's safety measures put it out.

WmqHKG0.png

Light drifted into the dimly lit apartment from the city in the distance casting it's bright glow over the rooftops of St Aylers Warrior-Square. A recurring shadow travelling across the room with each cycle of an animated billboard from the building across the street. Sitting at a table dressed in a black overcoat was a man, the top half of his face hidden as he held a cigarette in his hand above an ashtray, wisps of smoke fading between the light and dark. "And what is it you want exactly?" he asked, his voice deep with a slight rasp earned likely from many years of smoking. "Money and power doesn't seem like the kind of thing you're looking for out of all this" he leaned forwards as he stubbed out the cigarette, the rest of his face coming into the light with the movement to reveal piercing blue eyes and hardened features.

"You're right, neither of those things interest me" the second voice belonged to a woman, though her voice had a slight synthetic echo to it as she spoke. "I already told your superiors what I want but it seems you've not been informed so I'll be clear with you from the start". She turned from looking out towards the city through the glass double doors of the balcony, regarding the man for the first time since his arrival as she folded her arms and leaned back against the wall. "Immunity" she said simply, "When all of this comes to a head I want me and my team to be as though we never existed. No records, no trail and no repercussions for earlier transgressions". Her eyes had a magenta glow to them, angular symmetrical lines running across each of her cheeks indicative of cybernetic enhancement.

96kHE6J.png

Alister reached into his coat and withdrew a folder, tossing it onto the table before pulling out a square silver wallet, opening it and pushing his thumb against a fresh cigarette which he took between his lips. As she spoke he put the wallet away and took up a lighter, pushing his thumb against the flip lighters lid to spark the flame before pausing when she finished, looking up at her. "Those are certainly interesting terms but you should know the WGA doesn't easily forgive or forget and you've been quite the thorn in their side over the years Jacklyn" he replied, finishing lighting his cigarette before stowing the lighter away into his pocket. "That being said... with what you're offering that shouldn't be too difficult to arrange". The man took an inhale before exhaling a plume of smoke in her direction.

"Good" she replied simply, "Once I have confirmation that the records are in my possession I'll fulfil my side of the bargain... but not before then and if I get the slightest inkling that you're not going to deliver we'll be gone and your opportunity along with it... understood?".

"You have my word".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Naomi watched as each of them made an attempt on the stationary mech, occasionally looking down at her tablet to look at the damage numbers some of which were expected while others caused her to raise her eyebrows in surprise. The show made by Sierra and Convel was particularly entertaining and even managed to pull an amused smile from the Lieutenant as they finished looking like they might have actually had some fun with it. "Nice" she replied with amusement clear in her tone, waiting for Grimm to finish up with a grenade to the cockpit before APOLLO dismissed the mech into light fragments.

"Alright I think that's just about all APOLLO needed as far as your combat information goes" she announced, taking one last look at the tablet before placing it aside. "Tomorrow we're going to set up for a group simulation of the mission ahead to get a feel for what we might expect and how we might tackle the situation, but for now we'll keep on with the theme of standard and simple... mostly because I have nothing else planned since I had basically no time to prepare for this. So how about you guys find a sparring partner and prepare for some good old fashion combat training" she said with a small grin.

"After all knowing each others capabilities will make you better able to use each other in the field and what better way to do it then to actually fight one another. Feel free to pick whoever you want for this, you can engage in hand to hand or you can have APOLLO generate an environment if you fancy seeing which one of you can shoot the other better, same goes for hand to hand unless you just want to go at it in a nice open space" she stood up and stretched her arms a little, "Since I don't want to do the paperwork if you kill each other the rules are simple, first one to be immobilised is out or if they tap out, as for shooters... first one to receive a fatal hit looses, APOLLO will generate your weapons for you because... well, live ammo kills... obviously".

At the offer of a spar, Zadok stepped up towards Naomi. He had seen everyone fight and in their own ways, they had impressed him, even the mutated heathen with his crafted atrocities. But there was one person he didn't see fight. He had access to her combat records, but it is not the same thing as witnessing it up hand.

<"I wish to spar with you, to find out what you are capable of."> He said, still in that musical tones.

Naomi had pulled out her phone to check the time while people were starting to pair up, contemplating what to do when all of this was over and toying with the idea of going to get some food or perhaps visit the local scrapyard to see if anything new came in. When Zadok approached she looked up before perking her brow slightly, "Me?" she replied, "Sure I guess that's fine. What do you want to do? Fists, guns and do you want to have APOLLO generate an environment or would you rather a flat open space?" she asked casually.

<"Flat space, and whatever weapons you like. This is me assessing you, do whatever it is that you normally do."> Zadok walked as APOLLO began the procedures to generate the environment, facing Naomi as he stood opposite of her. His hands came together, his metal fingers interlocked with each other except for his index fingers as the tips were brought together. Naomi could see, in between the fingers, interchanging metal and wooden beads strung together with a thin cord and a small iron pendant. Raising his hands, he pressed the tips of his index fingers against his breathing apparatus, where his lips would've been, in silent prayer before dropping his hands onto his side and pocketing his pendant within his dark purple robes.

<"By the grace of the Deus Mechanicus, I am ready.">

"Works for me" she replied, reaching her hands up behind her to make sure her hair was stille secured into its ponytail to prevent it coming loose during the spar. She followed Zadok over to a flat space away from the others so that they wouldn't get in anyone else's way and likewise not be disturbed, continuing to do a few stretches as she waited for the cyborg to prepare himself. Normally she would have her sidearm with her but given they were in a flat open space she opted against using it since it'd be rather pointless to just shoot at him at such close range without any obstacles or opportunities for cover. Naomi would slide her left foot forwards as she angled herself to stand side on towards Zadok, raising her fists up. "Ready".

+++INITIALIZING COMBAT SUBROUTINES --- PACIFIST MODE+++

+++COMBAT SUBROUTINES SET+++

+++AWE DEUS OMNISSIAH +++

The world, from Zadok's perception, pulsed before settling down. Colors were brighter, detection of movement amplified. Even with his limited processor, built more for designing great works of art in the service of his god rather than for the rigors and trials of combat, his perception of the world slowed down. Time, from his perception, seemed to pass by at 95% of the regular rate. He walked towards Naomi, his arms down, as if waiting for her to strike first.

This was new, people didn't often start a spar or any fight for that matter approaching with their arms down. To Naomi this was either incredibly foolish or he had some method or strategy to follow it with which is why she responded with a backstep once he neared a closer proximity, moving not away directly but just enough that she maintained room to work with as her eyes narrowed slightly. Although lacking a computive mind that could calculate success percentages the Lieutenant instead relied on her wealth of experience and brutal training in a multitude of different martial disciplines, waiting for just enough time as she observed his movements before deciding on an approach.

Pushing from her back leg she would quickly step forwards, twisting her right foot to point her ankle towards him before following up with a spinning back kick towards his chest with her left foot as she left the floor to throw her weight and power behind the momentum into the motion of the kick.

Zadok took everything in with his eyes, both his natural gold and his bionic red, from her stance to her maintaining of space. She was trained in a variety of different, but typical, martial arts. But this wasn't new information. At her sudden kick, Zadok simply, yet with a surprising amount of speed, stepped aside, feeling the boot brush past harmlessly against the folds of his robes. To counter, he did absolutely nothing aside from standing where he was. His bionic eye penetrated past the layer of her skin to reveal something interesting. She had been enhanced in some manner, as to the level he could not tell, but in a way he had not seen before. Curious, he continued to stare at her while doing nothing.

When the kick failed to land on the cyborg she followed the momentum into a nimble landing, her right foot landing first before stabilizing with the left as she fell back into stance. She'd anticipated a counter but when none came she was almost a little disappointed, albeit curious as to why given he'd had an opportunity to engage. Instead she followed up herself, stepping forwards and lifting her knee as if she would attempt a strong side kick, however it was merely a feint as she instead stepped up closer to throw a few light left handed punches towards him. They were testing punches, none that'd cause much damage even if they managed to land, given only to prompt reactions from Zadok to see what he would do about it.

Her strikes hit nothing but air as Zadok stepped back, recording and analyzing all the techniques she was using. Slowly, with each missed punch and kick, Zadok was building a more complete profile. No matter how hard she tried, or how fast she struck, the cyborg priest was never where her limbs were. However, that also meant that he couldn't hit her, but that was okay with him. It gave him more time to see how the sub-dermal enhancements worked in motion. It was on her last punch did Zadok unexpectedly stand still and caught her fist within one metal hand. He held it still and raised the arm to his eye level, gently twisting it to get a more thorough picture.

<"Interesting…"> He said, before pushing her back and letting go of her fist.

Naomi raised her eyebrow as he still maintained distance without responding with any kind of attack. She looked bored when he grabbed her fist, not responding with another attack as he seemed to observe something before pushing her hand back again. "I'm… sure it is" she replied flatly, wondering why he'd asked to spar if all he wanted to do was watch and observe her. In any case she decided to up the ante a little as she pulled back, this was just as much for her to see how he handled himself as it was for him to learn more about her. A purple colour bled into her irises as she centered her gravity, her fist pulling backwards as her body woke from within as power filled her form before she planted a foot forwards and threw a heavy punch in his direction causing a concussive pressure wave projectile to release outwards in a cone towards him.

+++ WARNING --- MASSIVE POWER ANOMALY DETECTED - subcategory designation MOTIVE FORCE +++

His golden eye, gleaming with some hidden power, widened in shock, but his body did not slow down. While he felt his soul well up and rise with power, his mind and body had sprung into action. Leaping forwards, he caught her fist, absorbing the physical and spiritually-enhanced blow with the activation of his own motive force. Statiscal data blurred down his vision as he measured both the strengths of both impact. The physical attack was strong and focused, far stronger than a woman with her weight had any real right to be. The spiritual attack however, while surprising and very impactful, was entirely without focus and discipline, little different than blindly swinging a sledgehammer. Zadok, after a moment of the two standing still together, let the build up of emotions and spiritual energy out with a silent meditative prayer. A faint blue mist seemed to rise from his shoulder before fading away to nothing. He let go of her fist and stood back.

<"I have seen everything that I needed to see."> Before stepping down and away from the arena.
+++ DISENGAGING COMBAT ROUTINES +++

Naomi would usually have been frustrated at this point in a real fight and with that her power and strength would typically increase the more annoyed she'd get, but given she had no real desire to hurt and or kill Zadok the attack was far lighter than what she'd used before in the field. Such attacks were usually saved as a trump card for difficult situations, like fending off a mech toe to toe or busting an APC to stop it shooting at her. Nevertheless he'd caught it which was interesting if not a weird experience. "You know if you wanted to hold my hand you could have just asked" she replied with a perked eyebrow before he'd let her fist go again, watching as he walked off after having apparently seen all that he'd needed to see. She lightly shrugged before deciding to head away herself to wait for the others to finish up, feeling the power empty from her body as her eye colour returned back to normal once more.

Collab bet'w @Capt. Blu and @SilentxChaos
Peculiar sounded a little rude to describe Sven and Hana's display, but it was definitely something he had never seen before. Most of interest was put into how much damage the two caused and he let out a cheer when it was over. Eager to see the next, he almost got taken by surprise when Hana approached him. More curious than confused, JD offered a bright smile only for it to fade slightly at the mention of his escrima sticks. "Uh, you wanna… see-?" But Hana was already walking back to her partner before he could respond. It felt a little rude to deny the lady, but he also didn't have a well thought out excuse as to why only he could 'turn on' the electricity in them. It would just have to be… a problem for later because the rest of the group was up and he heard his name. Hanlon managed to get his attention for most of his explanation. JD was sure he missed a few bits and pieces of info, but getting to see him throw a flaming bottle at a mech was pretty amusing nonetheless. Everyone else that followed brought a similar excitement to an otherwise mundane performance and he applauded them as they came.

Everything seemed to fizzle to a stop until Naomi ordered them to pick a partner to spar. There was a brief flash of nervousness that passed at the idea of killing each other, hoping none of them would resort to that. Immobilized sounded fair, but JD had a feeling yelling 'uncle' wouldn't work for a good majority of them. But it passed and JD's curiosity got the better of his worry. He strolled over to where Convel and Sierra had stood and looked between the two. "Either of you care to spar?"

Sierra dropped Convel's arm, obtaining a second inspection once their round had finished, to look at who was approaching them. She beamed when she recognized JD. "Sparky! Count me in, always happy to do a bit of sparring." Walking up, she clapped the man on the back. It became quickly clear she hadn't paid a penny of attention to Naomi once Grimm made his show, thinking JD just wanted to go head-to-head to test the competition.

"I'll try not hurt you too badly," she said with a wink.

He didn't expect such eager acceptance but he didn't back down from it. In fact, he returned it with his own toothy grin. "Don't worry, I'm sturdy I can take a hit." Before they could just start fighting right then and there, Naomi mentioned something about APOLLO being able to give them a better suited environment. JD… forgot how that worked. "Ah, hold on. The boss over there's going to have to give us some room to fight so we're not in everyone else's way… or maybe we're going one at a time again…" He seemed to fall into a bit of confusion for a moment, only to shake his head and call over to Naomi. "Hey, boss! We're gonna spar. How's the room thing change again? Can you do that?" He waited for the answer, watched as the others cleared the floor, and then watched as the scene around them changed, much like their first exercise.

It wasn't just the abandoned building that he was tossed into when he had to rescue the hostage Now it they were street level- and judging by it, in the slums at best. They were surrounded by old buildings and dirty alleyways, something all too familiar from their homes. "Huh.. cool." JD commented only to thrust his hand out in her direction. "Well! I guess nice to meet you again? Y'know after you ran into me earlier today." He couldn't help but laugh. "May the best win?"

Sierra paused long enough to take in where APOLLO dropped them. "Ah. Home sweet home," she said as she performed some stretches. When he brought up her running into him, she blinked, having forgotten that'd happen only a matter of hours ago. It felt like everything happened at once...and then, nothing at all. She rubbed her side absently as if remembering it still hurt. "Huh. Howabout that."

Shaking it off- Sierra never saw the need to dwell on what happened, really only the present mattered in the long run- she clasped in his hand in a gesture of good will. "Sure. But, just so you know Sparky?" Sierra grinned manically as she pulled him close. "I'm going to win."

Suddenly her metal grip tightened on his hand and with a heave, she yanked him forward and into the closet wall.

He could practically see it coming the moment her grip tightened around his hand, but he wasn't quick enough to yank away before he collided with the nearest building and fell to his knees. "Alright, yeah… that one… you got me." He pushed himself to his feet and stretched out his back. "I'll call that one a freebie." Chuckling, he took a single escrima stick off his back and twirled it around. "No need to get so feisty, we're on the same team." It was an innocent tease as he walked forward. The walk quickly turned into a quick sprint towards Sierra. Fortunately for him, what he didn't have in strength he made up for it in speed as he attempted to strike his opponent with the escrima stick in hand and then proceed to quickly grab the other to strike her legs and get her to fall.

"Bein' on the same team doesn't mean I'm gonna be timid," was the retort as Sierra followed up on her initial attack. She yanked back at the last moment when his fancy, sparking sticks flashed out. The hairs on her upper arm stood on-end, and she even felt the faintest tingle racing through her circuits. Grinning, Sierra hopped to avoid his next strike. "Hah! Nice one, Sparky. Nearly zapped me there."

She landed on one foot and spun, performing a roundhouse kick aimed for his head.

"Trust me, if I wanted to zap you I would." JD quickly leaned back and raised one of the sticks up to replace where his head would have been. With the amount of force that went into nearly knocking the escrima stick out of his hand, JD was glad he moved out the way. He wasn't trying to get KOed so early into the fight. And according to Naomi this was just one of the many ways they were supposed to "impress the officials" or something like that.

As Sierra's foot went down from the previous kick, JD took the opportunity to kick the leg she was standing on in order to throw her balance off, hoping to follow it with a more focused strike on her side, this time being careful to avoid accidentally electrocuting her without meaning to. He figured since it was a spar, there was no need to go around shocking and injuring his new team, especially not if they had a mission sometime soon.

Sierra bared her teeth as his kick connected, feeling the bruise to come, but only wobbled a little as she regained her footing. She saw his torso contort as he came in for the next strike. Instead of scrambling out of the way, she let him make contact. A small yelp followed as his fancy stick hit, and then she leaned forward and aimed an arm around his neck in hopes of capturing him into a headlock. She immediately followed it with shots to his side facing her before she even managed to secure her hold.

He wasn't expecting her to try and grab him, so the sudden headlock he was in caught him off guard. And he grunted at the rapid hits on his ribs. His hold on his escrima sticks tightened when faint sparks jumped off his hand and he raised them to try and defend himself from the onslaught of punches. When he realized that wasn't working, he turned his wrist so the escrima stick pointed towards Sierra. "Real sorry about this one." JD wasn't sure if his strained words could be heard, but he figured the warning was better than outright electrocuting her. Fortunately, it wasn't enough to knock her out, JD was careful. But it was enough to attempt to stun her just long enough so he could break free of her hold and put a little distance between the two.

Sierra sucked in a breath as her body jerked and spasmed, her hold on JD loosening as his stick shot painful electricity up her side. They pulled away, Sierra barely maintaining her upright position. Soft chuckles came out in huffs as she grimaced and rubbed her side. "Ooow, that hurt. Good one Sparks. Heh guess that means gloves are off, yeah?"

Slowly straightening, Sierra rubbed the pain out of her side and took a second look at his weapons. "Say...how high do those settings go anyways?"

JD's hands reflexively went up. "Ah...hah, I dunno about gloves being off per se. That was just a uhhh, love tap." He grinned. "I'm mean, you're still standing right?" He watched her for a moment before looking down at his escrima sticks. "Uhh…" He had an idea of how high the voltage of his electricity was, but getting to that level was more than likely impossible for a set of sticks he used as a conductor- and decoy for that matter. "Ya know, I've used it so much on stun, I forget. I'm pretty sure it can get up to 'heart stopping' though. Something we won't be testing here of course." He laughed and put up his arms as he got back in a defensive stance. "You seem like a cool person, would be a shame to do something as ridiculous as kill you for no reason." He tapped the sticks together as if beckoning her forward.

"Heh, thanks," Sierra gave him a toothy grin. "I'd say the same to you but, eh, don' know you too well yet if you get my meaning." She raised her arms as well, but seemed more content to hold back than rush in like she had earlier. She was still looking at the sticks when she asked, "By the way, what're they made of?"

Seeing she wasn't going to come towards him, JD decided to slowly circle and debate when he could move in to strike. "Fair, fair. It's only been a day after all." He briefly glanced at his escrima sticks and then back at her with an almost sheepish grin. "You know what that's a good question." He tapped them together. "Not as easily breakable as the last pair I was given. Sounds like metal." He gave a shrug. "Never really took the time to figure it out." As he spoke, a light bulb went off in his head. "So whatever you think could withstand me getting punched and or kicked by you, something to keep the electricity flowing, and," JD connected the escrima sticks together and leapt forward, swinging the staff at Sierra. "Can't forget the connection piece."

"What's with you men and not knowing what your parts are made of?" Sierra snorted. However, the moment mentioned they were metal, the grin returned tenfold with an extra gleam in her eyes. "Well I certainly hope-- whoo!"

Sierra twisted away from his stick-to-staff weapon, feeling giddy with adrenaline as she fell into a defensive mode, contorting her torso this way and that to avoid JD's strikes. She moved back in pace with him, but made no effort to give herself a wider berth, or to simply move farther to one side to get a hit of her own in. She, instead, waited until one particular strike brought the staff parallel to her hip.

Smirking, Sierra lifted one hand and tapped it.

A vibrating sensation thrummed through JD's hands. Suddenly the staff leapt out of his grasp as if being pulled by one great magnet, flying far down the alleyway. In the same instance Sierra aimed a kick squarely for his chest.

"Hey! It was a gift, cut me some slack!" He couldn't help but be impressed with how easily she dodged his attacks, but then he considered the fact that he wasn't actually trying to cause lasting damage.

Just as he was about to say something else, his staff was suddenly yanked from his hand and sent flying into the alleyway. "Wh- Hey, my staff! How'd you-" His weapon being mysteriously tossed and his own surprise left him wide open for the hard kick to the chest that sent him flying backwards. JD hit the ground and was gasping for air, but instead of dwelling on the pain, he sat up and looked back towards where his staff had flown too. "Whoa! How'd you do that?!" He paused, taking a moment to rub his chest and actually breathe.

"That was kinda cool! But also, bring it back?" JD was still sitting on the ground looking between where his staff was flung and where Sierra was standing. By his expression, it could've been safe to assume that he wasn't even focused on the fight anymore, much too enthralled by the sudden move.

Sierra brought up her arms, waiting to see if he'd hit back or not. When he sat up- Sierra blinking at surprise at the speed of his recuperation from one of her kicks- she lowered them and cocked her head. "Uh, heh thanks? It's a simple collaboration, really, to the main components-- oh, yeah."

Turning slightly, Sierra raised her hand. The staff clattered off the ground and flew into her hand. She gave it an experimental swing and tap on the ground. "Hmm. Pretty sturdy. Thought'd it be heavier though with all the stuff inside. Y'know, to make it go zap-zap?"

She rolled the staff in her hand a second more, puzzled. She shrugged and started to hand it towards him but stopped short. "First, yield."

JD stared with wide eyed fascination when the staff flew back to her. He watched her hand, not spotting anything like magnets or contraptions on them, but they were also prosthetic so who knew what was going on in those hands. Fascination turned into a nervous laugh when Sierra started inspecting his staff. "Aha, well, y'know. It's gotta be easily portable and breakable." He watched as either end remained a dull blue in color since there was not electricity running through it and hoped that would be the least of her worries.

"Thanks-" He reached for his staff only to pause in confusion. "Huh? Yield? Yield to what- oh! You mean the spar? Ah yeah sure you win. I didn't wanna get kicked in the chest again anyway. That kinda hurt." He reached for his staff, almost expecting her not to return it, and quickly snapped it in two and placed them on his back for safe keeping. The less she questioned about them, the less he had try lying about it. "But, I held up my end of the deal, now you." The environment around them began to fade back into the training room the moment it was official that Sierra won the match, but JD barely noticed because he was much more interested in getting an answer.

She gave a shrug, shoving her hands into her pockets. "It's nothing special, really. Just magnetism focusing. Master helped me upgrade 'em when the riots starting getting bad in my district. Needed somethin' to give me an upper hand, y'know?"

Taking her hands out, she pushed the coat sleeve back to bare the whole arm. "See these?" she tapped thick plating around her forearm. "Kinda like protective plating. Keeps me from ripping out my own, ferromagnetic bits and pieces. A simple touch lets me manipulate the magnetic fields around things-- those with a high magnetism to begin with. Metals, y'know? Mostly all metals, some are harder than others. Master tried to tell me how everything generates a lowkey field but...eh," she shrugged and started playing with her necklace. "Kinda like your electricity."

"Huh… that's pretty cool." He was mostly responding to the fact that his guess was right in which Sierra had strong magnets to mess around with. 'Ferromagnetic' sounded like something familiar, but he wasn't too sure what it meant. There was only the nagging feeling that one of his own teachers had attempted to teach him about it and he promptly forgot. Instead of dwelling too much on it, JD grinned and took a step forward, gesturing out of the training room so whoever else wanted to spar could have more room. "Man that'd be one hell of a punch if you play your cards right!" His eyes lit up. "Oh man, you could like, I dunno punch a tank or a real mech. Or a person which still could be pretty exciting."

"Who says I already haven'?" Sierra grinned and winked at him.

Sven had pulled his attention back to his own musings deciding to finally double check the information on the mech when the one named Hanlon spoke up, he had gained the young man's attention before calling out to him as he presented plenty of information on the mech itself. Though Sven didn't offered much of a response Hana nodded her head in agreement to him and Sven with a small swipe checked only to find his information was correct. Loathed as he was to admit it, the one named Hanlon's knowledge had superseded his in this situation, he knew the model but not the little 'tidbits' behind it. He could tell the man wasn't talking out of his ass but it was a small blow that he had the knowledge readily available.
Due to Hanlon's knowledge he actually took the time to pay attention to his attempt, though before he could lose himself in the display the one named Sierra came over and spoke to him. He offered little more than a blank stare in her direction at her questions and when she went to touch Hana she glanced over at him. Sven closed his eyes and she didn't move away from Sierra's touch, her arm didn't seem cybernetic from first touch but after that Hana calmly pulled her arm away tilting her head at her sudden questions before pointing at Sven.
"He has the specifics," Hana said.
Sierra was already running off however which caused Hana to look over at Sven, noticing his glare for outing him just moments before.

The remaining displays were observed more by Hana than Sven and she joined JD in clapping at each one, Sven did pay closer attention when the tiny one stepped forward but that was about the extent of his interest. Hana explained what had happened in detail to him later eliciting a nod from him as he stood up glad to be done with the simulation. Though when Naomi mentioned that they were just going to have another simulation tomorrow he squeezed the bridge of his nose, he was still trying to get past being summoned here, then run through test like lab animals, it was irritating. Whatever the purpose he would be more than happy to be done with it.
"Seems there was no...catch to this one I suppose," Sven thought looking back up at the group. "He made it kneel, the other two knocked it down...and the remaining exploited it's weaknesses...hm."
Sven was pulled from his thoughts at the mention of sparring and his eyes twitched before he walked away from the group at that notion with Hana placing a hand on his shoulder.
"Sven."
"...hah...damn it seriously," Sven said turning to face her.
Though the woman's face remained a blank slate he seemed to catch something in it and rubbing the side of his head made a shooing motion with his hands towards before speaking.
"...No hand to hand fighting, even with my control you don't know how to hold back against people. Guns are fine."
Hana gave a small nod to this and the two turned to watch the people who stepped forward first, the one between Naomi and Zadok seemed to hold her attention the most, with her eyes switching to a dull red for a moment during one of Naomi's attack but that was the extent of interest shown, as they faded back to their normal color seconds later. She stared at her own hand after the bout but whatever thoughts resonated through her skull remained there and she instead focused on JD and Sierra as they exchanged blows. Sven tried to ignore them but with all the nose they made he inevitably ended up watching them. His brows arched at the staff flying off and the subsequent explanation of why, but his head lowered back to his pad afterwards.
Hana made her way over to Convel afterwards and pat her hip imitating a firearm.
"You're a good shot, may I see it first hand in a friendly game," Hana said staring at the man.

Grimm looked nervously about with green crystal eyes as he was instructed to pick a partner for sparring. This was something he should have expected, and to a degree he did, he hadn't counted on them being quite so powerful. Small chisels of teeth rattled against each other in the mutant's mouth as he searched for a partner among the lot. Some seemed preoccupied with themselves, unwilling to participate and leaving him with a very limited selection. His neck craned up to look in their faces, mask gleaming from his hood as he set his sights on the cyborg woman who'd just fought with the gentleman wielding the electric sticks. His gloved fingers nervously touched each other as he made his way over to her.

"Excuse me," he said, his voice muffled and modulated from within the confines of his mask, "Would you care to spar?"

After their sparring session, Sierra stuck close to JD as they observed the other fighters and chit-chatted. She really, really wanted to test his sticks for herself but felt it he'd be a tad reluctant to it and it was a bit unseemingly to handle another's tools after a fight. One never could be certain if it was out of fascination or desire to ruin them after being defeated. Kicking back, she yawned wide, and nearly missed Grimm's approach.

"Eh? Did someone say-- shit!" Sierra jerked back in her chair, shocked by Grimm's abrupt appearance. She relaxed when she recognized the mutant. "Shit Bird. You're sure as hell quiet, heh." She paused with a tilted head at his request. "Spar huh? Well Sparks and I just did...but yeah, always up for a fight. That's me."

Getting to her feet, she stretched and grinned. Thanks to Grimm the onsetting boredom was gone and she couldn't wait to see what this little guy was capable of. "So what tricks you got in your sleeve, hm? Once fought a mutant you know. He was a midget like you but boy, he packed a punch!" She laughed. "Said he got titanium in his blood. Never did figure out if he was lying or not." Leading the way, they took the next open sparring room. She gestured for Grimm to set the setting as she performed her stretches for the second time.

Grimm tilted his head and smiled sheepishly behind his mask. He hadn't meant to startle her. But years of skulking in shadows to avoid being seen had left him hard to detect. She called him 'bird' again, something he took for a nickname. His eyes widened at the mention of another mutant, a small one, like him.

"Really?" he said, "Interesting...I'd like to meet him, I haven't met many like me before…" He looked to the machine that produced the settings and took a cursory glance, randomly selecting something that looked more familiar to him. The scenery changed, and he and Sierra were suddenly enclosed by rapidly forming walls of synthesized material that sprang up in a labyrinth of narrow alleys and dark, empty streets. Grime and soot covered walls and cement, and the air was thick with the smell of smoke and despair. An old slum had been chosen for their battleground, something that would have been familiar to them both. Grimm looked over to Sierra, anxiously twitching his fingers together. He supposed it would have been fair to set aside his firearm, seeing as she had none.

"Shall we begin?"

"Sorry but he died some time ago. Got caught in a raid." Sierra replied as she straightened. She watched the setting transform, wrinkling her nose against the rising smells and decay of the place. "You really know how to pick 'em," she muttered, sticking a finger against a nearby wall. She pulled a grime-covered tip from the wall and rolled between the digit and her thumb. Very realistic too.

She side glanced at the twitching mutant. A smirk played on her face as she turned and twitched two fingers, gesturing for him to make the first move. "C'mon, don't be shy. Let's see what you got, Birdman."

Grimm nodded, "As you wish," he answered. There was a brief hiss of air and the sound of springs twanging before he was suddenly sailing through the dark towards the cyborg, firmly planting both his feet in a kick squarely on her chest. In another moment he pushed back with his legs, throwing himself back where he landed, his boots crunching against coarse concrete dust. The mutant clenched his teeth. He wasn't sure if this was the best way to begin a friendship.

Sierra's arms crossed against her chest. She caught Grimm's kick squarely, propelling his motion backwards as she forcefully uncrossed them. The kick did move her back, ever so slightly, which made her press her lips together. More tired than I thought I was, she assessed but then shrugged it off.

Sierra flew at the mutant with fists and speed, falling back on traditional boxing moves to start this fight. The looks of JD and his sparking sticks gave her a valid idea of how he'd fight, but with Grimm it was a new scenario. She hadn't lied about fighting mutants; she learned the hard way they packed various tricks and hidden powers you wouldn't expect in their mangle forms. They scavenged the sewers and created unique toys that you'd never expect. It's what she liked most about them.

Metallic fists whizzed past Grimm's head and shoulders as Sierra came at him, the mutant staggering backwards as he narrowly dodged her missile fists. She recovered far quicker than he'd anticipated, and her augmentations were devastating weapons in their own right. Once or twice a steely knuckle clipped a shoulder or arm, the blow softened only by his kevlar armor. Grimm gritted his teeth as he sprang backwards, trying to draw distance between himself and the cyborg. Perhaps it wouldn't be terribly unfair to use some of his tricks given the advantages she had over him. A flick of his hand brought a small pellet from his wrist, throwing it onto the ground where it burst in a cloud of ghostly white smoke. He took advantage of the diversion to throw himself at her once more, leaping around with odd acrobatics and swinging his fists at the faint silhouette she made in the cloud.

The gas was a surprise, but not the first time. Sierra was just counting her luck it wasn't poisonous as she hastily coughed, trying to keep watering eyes open in anticipation of Grimm's attack. The first came at her back. She stumbled forward with a hiss. Another flurry bombarded her from all directions, barely blocked by her metal arms. One or two hit their mark but as time passed, she became more efficient with her defense. "Shoulda known you'd rely on sneaks," she said to the smoke, smirking. It made sense with him being smaller; even his muscle mass barely matched hers, and she wasn't exactly made of well-balanced nutrition.

When the next strike came, she narrowly dodged it. Sierra rolled to the side, Grimm's passing centimeter over her head, and she sprang back. Sierra backpedaled until she struck a wall with her heel. There. She braced against it, and waited.

Her eyes opened wide and unfocused as she listened to her surroundings. By now, the smoke began dissipating, thinning out among the grimy corridors, turning into a vague fog. She listened until she heard the swish of Grimm's clothes coming from her left side. Without even looking to where she struck, her fist swung hard in the direction of her opponent.

Grimm wheezed through the filters of his mask as a metal fist made contact with his shoulder, throwing him off kilter where he landed half-sprawled a fair distance from Sierra. The dissipating smoke showed his outline rising from the ground and staggering back, grasping at his right shoulder as his fingers explored the dent left in his homemade armor. There was a dull pain beginning to form in tandem with what felt like a bruise, but that could be shrugged off for now.

"It's only fair, I haven't got much else," he said, a weak smile in his voice. His cloak fluttered as he charge in for another attack, his fists curled and jabbing at the cyborg.

Sierra raised a brow, wondering if she damaged the mutant. "Yo, you okay?"

He got back up and she shrugged. There was a Sierra-fist shape in his shoulder, but as he came at her again, the armor held fine and he seemed to be fine.

She traded blows with him as they moved around the passageways. Even in the midst of battle, Sierra couldn't help wrinkling her nose at the mimicry smells. They were real enough to rile her stomach, but she pushed it down. Dropping fast, she performed a sweeping kick to knock the mutant off his feet. Grimm skipped back in haste and stumbled. In a blur of motion, Sierra curled her fingers into the muck on the ground threw at his face. She sprang back with a shot to his lower jugular.

The dark alleyway world suddenly vanished in a splatter of poisoned earth, foul city mud splattering across the lenses of of his mask and leaving him sightless. He was clawing at them, trying to regain sight when he felt a sharp blow to his neck. Grimm's crooked chest heaved breathlessly for a moment before he fell back, catching himself in a crabwalk and scuttling further back into the alleyway. His legs swept backward and he shifted into a handstand, his simian arms suddenly flexing and launching him towards Sierra, both feet aimed for another kick to her chest.

His kick connected. Sierra grunted but saw it coming. She snaked a hand around his ankle and threw him down. Her arm stretched out and a ragged piece of broken piece flew from the trash piled in the corners of the alleyway, straight to her hand. She jabbed it toward his chest.

"Yield yet, Birdman?" she panted.

Grimm looked up at Sierra from the ground, making out the shape of a jagged piece of metal pointed at his chest from behind his smudged and dirtied lenses.

"I...suppose so," he finally said, static crackling along with his voice, "That is a very neat trick."

Waiting a beat to ensure he meant his yield, Sierra stepped back and offered her hand to help him up, much like she had with JD. "Thanks," she said.

She wiped her brow and gave Grimm a grin. "Gotta say, must be getting tired, or Sparks doesn't compare to you in terms of workout. Got me winded there, hah." Throwing her stick away, the scenario began disintegrated around them as Sierra wiped her hands against her pant's leg. "Mind you, could work a bit on those moves. They were getting predictable towards the end. Gettin' more power behind your attacks can't hurt either."

As they turned to leave, she clapped him on the back and laughed. "Though that smoke trick was pretty good! I don' doubt you got a lot more to show, dontcha?"

Grimm took Sierra's hand and stood up, his hooded head bobbing in an eager nod. "I do," he said, a spark of pride in his modulated response, "Quite a few, actually, and ideas for many more..." His voice trailed off for a moment as she patted him on the back, "Ah, yes, and I could use some help refining my technique."

Collabed with SilentXChaos