Heartland Ranch a Place for Troubled Horses & Troubled Hearts (~Dark Disney~ & Camo Only)

ImmaCamoPrincess

Rebellious Southern Belle
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
Online Availability
Depends on my work schedule
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance is a must, pretty open
"Damnnit." The words slipped past the young woman's lips as she ran her hand through her hair, pausing the bay thoroughbred in the middle of the barn aisle after leading him from his stall. "Your finally at a good weight to start working on some muscle and you come up lame, let's see whats going on with you bud." Ash commented softly as she tied the horse to one of the tie rings before she knelt down next to the horses front right leg, running her hands from the horses knee slowly down to his hoof to feel for any sort of heat. She felt none in the knee, none along his cannon bone, but once she got to the top of his hoof she could feel the heat. Another sigh escaped from her lips as she glanced up toward the horse who snorted, glancing down toward the young woman. "Okay bud, feels like you have an abscess - guess I'll have to get the vet out to make sure that's what it is. Let's just get you back in your stall for now, I'll give you some bute to help until he gets here." She commented, standing up once more only to return the horse to his stall. Once the stall door was secure, the young woman began her hunt for Killian - the only ranch hand her father had left at the ranch while he was in town and he had the others riding the cattle's field fence and fixing any issues they found.

She didn't have to go too far before finding the ranch hand out by the round pen where her newest training horse was prancing around, almost as if he was floating - the sun shone off his jet black coat. He tail and mane bounced as his hooves made soft thuds in the sand footing, "Hey, um - Ruger, the bay thoroughbred needs to stay in. I think he has an abscess. I'm gonna have the vet out to see if that's what it is and maybe have him check this guy out to make sure he traveled well. Did his owner say anything that he needed or do they just want me to call them?" She asked softly, leaning against the fence the watch the horse more closely as he snorted - darting away from them with his tail held high like a flag as he raced around the round pen. A small smile pulled at the corner of her lips, he seemed to have a fire within him and she looked forward to working with him - she could only hope that his owners weren't trying to force him into something that he wasn't meant for. Just the few minutes she had watched him she could see him ruling the three-day eventing shows.

• Love
Reactions: Dark_Psycho
As the sun rose, so had Killian, he been at the Ranch a few weeks now. He sighed as he got up and went to shower, washing his toned tan muscles. He was letting the warm water wake him. Finally finishing up he stepped out and dried off his body. Making his way to his room, he grabbed clean boxers and put them on. Then he slipped on dark jeans. Over his head, he slipped on a black wife beater and then a black and red checkered flannel shirt. He put on a black ten gallon hat, a leather belt and leather boots with long black socks on underneath. Tucking his jeans into his boots, Killian made his way downstairs to grab some breakfast before going to do his morning part of his day. He clean stalls clean the horses then feed them, next were the other animals. He had gotten a routine down and was quick. As the sun finally came up and started to heat up he took his flannel shirt off and hung it up.

Some people had shown up with a horse and dropped it off with him. He released it into the pen and watched it a while. He was sitting on the bars of the pen when his boss came up to him. He would be turning the horses out here in a bit to graze and run around, but she probably had something to tell him. "Okay I will go clean his stall and make sure it's overly clean and some soft bedding."He said. "He seems okay, I looked him over no problems from what I have checked and seen, but wouldn't be a bad idea." He said and looked over at her. "They said just call them."He told her. He hoped down into the circular pen and held out a carrot to the horse to get him to come over. He hooked a lead to the horses halter. His hand petting his nose, "Come on buddy I got to turn the others out." Killian said. He went to go put the horse in his new stall and went to lead a few horses out to go running, he finished that and went to check Ruger. " Come here buddy let me see."He says and gets him to lift his hoof. "Oh yeah buddy you got a nice one going on."He said and patted the horses side gently. Tying him out while he cleaned and gutted the horse's stall before sticking new bedding in and letting the horse back in." Sorry buddy, got to feel better before we let you go out." Killian spoke.

Killian closed the stall and went to go to the house for lunch washing his hands and face Killian walked to the kitchen spotting Ash. " Ruger. Is all set till the vet gets here, do you want me to meet the Vet? Or do you want to?" He asked her as he grabbed some food for lunch.

• Love
Reactions: ImmaCamoPrincess
Ash sighed softly, hoping the owners would be up front with her about what was wrong with the horse and what the problems were, why he was here and they didn't stick around to talk to her about the horse in person but preferred to talk over the phone. Surely she would find out enough when she called and spoke to the owners. She watched as Killian handled the horse without any issues, he did seem spooky on the ground - maybe it was a riding issue? She shrugged it off and sighed softly, figuring she would go in and call the vet before she worried about the owners of the newest temporary resident. The young woman moved toward the house, figuring her father and the rest of the ranch hands should be returning sooner or later from the north fields for lunch before heading out to check the south field. Tomorrow she and the ranch hands were supposed to check the east and west field along with the field that had the obstacle course she planned to take Ruger on before she found him lame in his stall, but maybe she would take the new horse out to see what he was capable of.

The young woman picked the handheld phone as she dialed the phone number for the vet that she knew off the top of her head, holding the phone between her head and her shoulder as she placed sliced meat and cheese, along with bread, and condiments on the table. The young woman explained the situation to the vet, hanging up as Killian stepped into the house. "Um, I should be able to be here - he said it'll be a few hours, I guess they think there are some pregnant mares at the feed lot so he is going to go check them out to see if they are in fact pregnant and then see if anyone is willing to rescue - including us I guess." She commented softly with a small shrug of her shoulders before glancing toward him once more. "Unless you need something in town, I'll be going into town before the vet comes to check out those horses in the feed lot and pick up our grain order for the month." She added softly, glancing toward the door as boot steps sent the dogs racing down the stairs as the door opened and her father stepped through.

Her father was followed by the other stables hands, James who was in his late thirties with black hair and black scruff on his chin and cheeks along with green eyes - he was the ranch foreman who was in set to be in charge whenever her father was out of town. Next was Damon, his blonde hair was always kept in a marine style buzz cut with a clean shaven face and brown eyes, he was were a few years older than her and loved to pick on her - he had his way to flirt and pick on her all at the same time. Then of course came Conner, who has just graduated high school a matter of months ago and took it upon himself to move away from home and begin his working career. Her father flashed a quick smile at the two who already stood in the kitchen as he grabbed a plate, "Ash hasn't been bossing you around too much while we were gone, has she? I'm gonna have ya'll help her check the horses pastures and the obstacle course fencing tomorrow while I go into town to pick up the temporary stalls and stable tent, along with the temporary pastures for the up coming clinic. How many horses and handlers were coming again?" Her fathers husky voice the silence as Conner and Damon chuckled, throwing Ash playful glances as she rolled her eyes.

"Um...I have a confirmed ten horses and handlers, some of the handlers are under eighteen so their parents will be here as well. I will check tonight to see if anyone else confirmed they are coming or not. I know I ordered enough for the number of spots we had for the clinic, so we had some extra room in case they all confirmed they could come." Ash commented softly.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dark_Psycho
Killian shrugged, " Mmmkay Thought I offer."He said as he grabbed a drink from the fridge. Killian shrugged I can go with you, got a few things to pick up any way."He said. He sipped his drink and leaned on the counter. He was about to say something else when the others came in. He glowered at them,but changed his look to a blank look. He was drinking his Gatorade when her father asked him a question. "No sir had a nice quiet day no bother from anyone. Yes sir can do." He said. He nods to Ash and went to go grab some food. He was kinda friendly with the other ranchers, but he liked to work in peace and quiet. He often wore headphones to ward others off. He keep the volume low enough to still here around him and high enough to hear the music.

Oddly enough Killian was good at being a ranch hand and damn good at working with horses. He use to work on his uncle's Ranch, before his uncle passed and the ranch got sold. He got to keep his two favorite horses Hercules and Morgana, His Mules Zeke And Mo, Draft horse Shade, and dog named shadow. He had a trailer and a truck that were in his name he been driving before he found this ranch, he was running low on money and food. They were looking to hire on a new ranch hand. He spoken with her father, said he take care of his own horses and the mules if anything happened it come out of his own pay. Her father had agreed and here he was a few weeks later easily slipped into the groove of things. He took good care of all the horses, he let Them all runaround eat and be healthy. He use Shade, Zeke and Mo for work help and pulling things. He used Hercules for jumping and Zoey for barrel racing. He been one of the best back where he came from.

Now he kinda just did it on his spare time when no one was around. He set up courses and race them around. He normally got up early to do it or late at night when the others did whatever they did. He finished his meal in silence and grabbed a bag of carrots and apples. Biting into a apple, he went about sharing some fruit and vegetable with each horse. He fed the carrots to a lot of the others and apples to his and the lame horse Ruger. He pet the horses snout and smiled. " I know buddy, here is another apple alright. Will be getting that foot looked at today, you hang in there."Killian spoke soothingly to the horse. He walked to the new black male and held out a apple. "Come on buddy I am not going to hurt you."He said. "Good boy,"Killian spoke softly as the horse ate from his palm and let him pet his snout.

" See were friends here." Killian told the horse as he pet him gently. His hands rubbed his nose and kept rubbing a bit higher. He watched the horses body language and climbed up to sit on the stall. His hand brushing his main gently. " There we are a bit skittish, but we can work on it buddy."Killian zaid and sighed as he heard banging on a stall. " Hercules I get it your being pissy, I will release you in a second."Finally climbing down he goes to halter Hercules then Morgana and led them to the circular pen, he released them to run around. Making sure the trough was full, Killian turned out Shade and the two mule brothers with his horses. They all got along so he didn't worry about them being together. He looked up when he heard Ash call him. Pad locking the gate he walked over to her. "Want me to drive we can take my truck and trailer."He told her.

• Love
Reactions: ImmaCamoPrincess
A small smile pulled at the corner of the young woman's lips as Killian moved toward her, offering to drive his own truck and trailer into town and to the feedlots. "Sure, if that's what you want to do and it's already hooked up. I mean, it shouldn't take me too long to hook up the ranches rig." She commented softly, hearing the screen door slammed shut behind her - hearing that all too familiar chuckle behind her.

"What are you planning, trouble? Something I'm sure your father wouldn't be too pleased whatever it is, and involving Killian, really?" Damon commented, a playful smirk on his lips as Ash glanced over her shoulder at him - rolling her eyes.

"Haha, very funny. No, seriously - just a little trip to the feed store and maybe, just maybe a small short little trip to the feedlot because Dr. Cardinal thinks there are some pregnant mares and a few horses that can be rehabbed into good horses." Ash commented softly, aware that her father probably wouldn't approve of bringing in more horses with winter only a matter of months out and that they were stocking up on hay for the horses they already had.

"Oh now you know how your dad feels about those kill pen rescues you bring here, remember what happened the last time? That horse had you put in the hospital for two months and it took you a year to get back in the saddle, Ash...that was bad, none of us want to see that happen to you again." Damon pointed out, giving her a concerned look as the young woman sighed and nodded - remembering the accident like it was yesterday instead of three years ago, she had been riding for two years now - still having nightmares at night but she was finally confident enough to get back in the show ring and to work with clients horses again.

"I know but I learned my lesson, he wasn't really ready to accept a rider and I pushed my luck. It was my bad, I mean...at least my dad hasn't sold him, he would just end up at the feedlot again and ship out this time. He will come around, he just needs time." Ash commented softly, flashing Damon a quick smile as she glanced over to the fenced area with a run in - watching the jet black stallion that stood in the back corner, clearing watching the three humans every move.

Killian finished up and went to grab his truck and trailer. He pulled up outside the house and honked the horn. He leaned on his truck smoking as he waited on her. She looked over and packed what she needed to and he hopped into the driver seat, waiting on her to get in. Once she was in. He put the large diesel truck into gear only to park when his dog came over.

Killian opened the door and let the dog hop in the back. Closing the door he put the trick in gear again and drove them for toen. He had snapped his radio off since it didn't really get good reception out here. "So what's with you and those other ranch hands?" He asked as he drove. " Either your leading them on, or your oblivious to the fact they like you or you don't care."He said. Killian listened as she spoke and nods his head. " Ahh I see."He said. He didn't say much more. Killian was a quite male, the silent brooding bad boy male. He stared at the road, he kinda gotten out of being a bad boy cause a smart mouth often got him fired or kicked out of places.

Killian watched as they finally pulled into the outskirts of town and pulled into a gas station to fill up his truck, and asked if she wanted something from inside. Going into grab whatever she wanted, and himself, he hopped back in the truck and followed her directions to the feed store and pulled up jumping out, his dog at his feet. He walked over to help with whatever she needed help with to put in the back. He easily put the heavy food in the bed of his truck and some in the trailer. They went to the store for him to grab some necessities he really needed. Last was the Feedlot. He pulled up and got out. He walked over next to her and said after her. He walked up to see what the Vet, with some horses.