Last Chance House (Shadez & Bored)

A soft sigh left Ivy's mouth as she tilted her head to the side, giving Dez better access to wear he was kissing. Her hands began to feel hot as she was barely able to control the fire inside her, demanding to join in on the fun. Sometimes it felt like such a part of her that she thought it had its' own needs, and right now they both agreed on one thing. As she moved her hands down the back of Dez's shirt little sparks followed, singing but hopefully not burning too badly, as she tried to hold on to him.

"Oooh~" Ven had walked back into the study, finding the rest of the house and the awkwardness of Roland and Cal to be uninteresting, only to stumble upon a nice little scene. "Tell her: I'll never leave you, Genie." He chuckled, not at all worried about any sort of fall out that might come from revealing himself now. It was a little irritating to see the two having fun when there was a literal bomb threat to be concerned about.

Ivy stiffened, having been sufficiently startled out of her moment with Dez, and she instantly jerked away from him. Her lower back hit the desk hard and she cried out, papers scattering off the desk as it moved just an inch with her weight. "What the fuck?!" This time the fire at her hands was strong and alive, reacting to her anger.

The weird eyed boy remained calm, almost amused with that perpetual smirk of his, and he moved further into the study. He stopped beside the reading nook, pushed the laptop off to the side, and sat down next to it. "Actually, you should try singing the lyrics to a song from Moulin Rouge. Zaire does that in the books at one point for Gene."

~X~

"Sure." Roland said in response to Cal's first words. He didn't believe her, refused to really, but he did stop in the doorway for a moment. It was terrible, but he couldn't help hoping she'd keep talking to him. It had been too long in his opinion since he'd let his disappointment in her keep them from talking. The wall he'd unknowingly placed between them was beginning to crumble down on his end, only for him to see that she'd built one of her own.

Roland trailed after Cal, in his usual puppy dog way, and moved to lean against the kitchen sink. It kept a healthy distance between them, but he would still be able to get to her quickly if she had another accident. "I honestly don't think it's a real threat, but your brother and Ivy have convinced me that we're going back in three days to protect the mall." A little too super hero for his taste, but better safe than sorry. "You're welcome to join. Maybe keep the kids in check."

Dez looked up, tensing on top of Ivy as he recognized the familiar voice. Cursing, he shifted off of Ivy, offering a hand when she cried out, trying to soften any blows. He'd already been trying to protect her from any harsh impacts with the wood when they'd been kissing, but this wasn't something he'd been able to foresee.
"Wait Ivy—" he started. It was one thing to have a threat in the institute, but it didn't mean he wanted his home burnt down. Stepping in front of her, he shot Ven a glare.
"What're you doing here?" he asked, trying to keep himself between Ven and Ivy.

~x~

Cal broke the noodles she'd retrieved earlier, letting them fall into the boiling water she'd prepared, listening intently as she cooked, staying off her feet as much as possible. She didn't want to cause anymore problems, especially after what'd just transpired.
Chuckling, she glanced to the side at Roland, shaking her head, a soft smile on her face.
"You know as well as anyone that I'm more of a threat to everyone than a bomb is… talk about making a bad situation worse," she said, turning back to the meal.
"I'm kind of surprised you're even talking to me," she admitted, glad to keep her gaze on the food at that exact moment.

Ivy was panting behind Dez, both from anger and trying to get her own hormones under control. Talk about a major cock block, she thought as she glared at Ven over Dez's shoulder. And using her own story lines against her in such an intimate situation made her want to laugh and punch him in the fact. "Talk. Or you'll see where Gene gets her anger from."

Ven grinned, his genuine child as Christmas smile, at her words and she frowned deeper, confused by his moods. What a fan boy. "Sorry. I, uh, didn't really expect to walk in on something like this." He gave Ivy a pointed look, his thoughts focusing on how adamantly she'd refused to using Dez as inspiration for Zaire. "Would you believe I don't have anywhere to go tonight?" His voice cracked a bit at the end and she felt a bit of her anger melt away.

Willing tears to prick his eyes Ven looked at both Dez and Ivy, trying for his best helpless little boy face. While Ivy found him to look a little pathetic, since he was so tall, she still shook the fire off her hands. Moving to stand beside Dez, no longer feeling the need to be held back from seriously maiming the boy, she looked up at him. "I don't think Roland will let him stay." She kept her voice low, suddenly recalling that they weren't the only ones in the house.

~X~

Roland flinched, barely visible as he moved to look out the kitchen window, and sighed. "You don't need to use your ability to be a help, Cal." But he didn't press the subject, especially when she brought up their lack of conversation. He shifted just slightly on his feet, looking at his face reflected on the window, and racked his brain for what to say in response to that.

It was strange, he was used to being the blunt one. "Hard to talk to someone that's never around." His words were clipped and harsher than he'd meant, but he hadn't been able to stop himself. While his brain mentally berated him for being such a dick for no reason, his outside appearance was neutral. But there was a slight feathering to his jaw as he clenched his teeth together, waiting for her response.

Dez's gaze skipped from Ven to Ivy, giving the girl a look of disbelief.
"Roro? I'M not willing to let him stay!" he grumbled, looking back at the other. He didn't care if the tears were real or fake. The fact that the guy had managed to sneak into their home, watch them interact without their notice, and creep on them all for an extended period of time was freaky.
"Seriously. Why are you here? Surely you don't think it is appropriate to sneak into people's homes unnoticed?"
'Not that I can really be speaking on what is 'appropriate,' Dez thought to himself, trying not to let his racing heart distract him.

~x~

Cal shook her head, stirring the noodles so they didn't stick together.
"Even so, someone could run into me or something could go wrong. It's not as if I can turn them off…. I could seriously hurt people," she insisted, finding it easy to criticize herself, voicing her insecurities. She shivered, stress starting to rise always made her feel a little chilly. Taking a small breath, she found herself frowning again.
"Hard to be present when you know you aren't wanted or needed," she stated. It wasn't harsh or meant to hurt his feelings. She wasn't angry, even. Cal didn't even hesitate in her response, making a point to keep stirring the noodles while she lit another burner, pouring spaghetti sauce into a pot. There was this numb feeling that began to pass over her again, something she'd grown accustomed to the last few weeks. Her stomach turned, twisting uncomfortably as her jaw clenched, shame starting to swell.
"I see the way you all look at me…" she said, lowly, color rising in her cheeks, despite herself.
'Let go. Just let go,' she told herself, eyes trailing to her wrists for the briefest of moments, before turning back to the sauce.

Ivy winced at Dez's tone and pursed her lips, trying to harden her heart a bit before looking back to Ven. She realized that he was certainly creepy and probably up to know good, but what if he was telling the truth? Wasn't this whole house meant to take in Acers with no where else to go?

"Well..." ven began, searching for a reasonable response to Dez's question. He could tell he had Ivy in the palm of his hand, latching onto her weak heart with barely any tears, but that was something he never questioned. Dez wasn't a part of his plans to get into the house, but Ven just had to be a smart mouth and interrupt their moment. But then again, who is to say that this wouldn't have continued all night if he hadn't stepped in. "I seriously have no where else to go and if you haven't noticed I'm not exactly the best with social situations."

She nodded at this, finding no fault in that logic, but Ivy doubted that Dez would give in. "We have a training room outside..." Her words were hesitant and she tried not to look at the boy beside her as she continued, stepping closer to Ven. "You can sleep in there tonight and tomorrow we'll contact the guy in charge."

~X~

"The offer stands." Roland said, ending that part of the conversation and not really wanting to push her. If something did happen at the mall and things got chaotic he would rather have someone who wanted to be there, it would raise their overall chances of saving people. Or at the very least not dying themselves. If he really took a moment to reflect on what they were possibly up against he'd seriously consider leaving Dez behind, knowing that the boy might crumble beneath the pressure.

"If it bothers you then you know what you need to do to change things." There he went again, sounding like an asshole. The strange thing was that his irritation was clear on his face for once, not that he really noticed as he turned from the window to stare down at Cal. "You're the strongest woman I know, save for Ivy but she's a tad immature," A quick in take of breath as he prepared himself to say more than he had said in the longest time. "And I know that if you just...put aside whatever is holding you back that you could master your ability."

He took a small step forward, reconsidered it, and stepped further away from Cal. He scratched the back of his neck, more for something to do as he turned his intense gaze to the floor. "We're only given as much as we can handle in life." Was the last thing he said, waiting for her to storm out as well as she could in her condition.

Dez gave Ivy an incredulous look.
"What? No! Ivy, he just fucking snuck in here, deceived everyone, and now we're offering him a place to stay? At least give us some time to talk to Charles before we just let him in here!" he said, flashing Ven an angry look, hand slamming on the table in frustration. Even for him, it was too risky, and he didn't like it. It wasn't a matter of keeping someone out, but keeping those that were already there safe, and Ven had already proven at least once that day that he wasn't trustworthy.

~x~

Cal felt like she couldn't breathe for the longest moment, blood running cold, mind racing. Roland couldn't possibly be suggesting that she— no. He wouldn't do that. Turning to look at him, she didn't bother to hide the desperation in her eyes, only to catch him stepping away from her. He wouldn't even look at her. Was she really so revolting to him? But she was the strongest woman he knew? Cal didn't follow, instead turning back to the spaghetti, breathing starting to hitch, stress levels rising higher than they had before. It had to be paranoia, right? She just needed sleep. Bracing both hands on the counter, she focussed on her breathing, trying to force herself to relax. Licking her lips, she took one big gulp of air, and steadily opened a cabinet, removing a few bowls and spooning noodled into one, quickly spooning sauce on top and holding it out for Roland, gaze shrinking as far from him as she could.
"Should I just leave altogether? I could be packed by the end of the night. I could go far away. Dez can always call— he won't, but he could if for some reason he needed to get a hold of me…." she trailed off, falling silent. She didn't have it in her to explain where she'd go or how. It wasn't important.
There was a loud slam in the other room, causing Cal to jump, dropping the bowl of spaghetti. The bowl hit the floor and shattered, Cal recoiling into the stool, shrinking as small as she could possibly make herself. A second later, she was on the floor, mopping up the mess, biting her lip hard to hold in any and all sounds as she picked up the glass.

Ivy jumped when Dez slammed the desk and turned to glare at him. "Fine. Call Charles. But I bet you anything he doesn't pick up. He never does." So much for being safe when the one person who was supposed to be taking care of them was never reachable. She rolled her eyes at his attitude and moved to the study door, waving Ven to follow her. "Come on, weirdo."

"Yes, ma'am." Ven walked around Dez to get to the door, flashing him his smirk, and ducked out after the girl. "Don't blame the poor guy. I did interrupt something, clearly." She shot him a glare over his shoulder and a nearby curtain went up in flames if only to accentuate her bad mood. It quickly was put out, no worse for the wear, and she stepped into another room. When Ven stopped in the doorway he instantly knew it had to be her bedroom. It was messy and covered in all the things he'd imagined someone like he to possess. Not to mention that there was a nice Yeti mic set up a desk inside, probably the one she used for her streams.

Ivy grabbed her comforter and one of her many pillows, pushed past Ven who very easily made himself nothing, and continued on her way. It wasn't until they hit the living room that she took hold of his hand and gestured for him to do something. It took him a moment of her yanking and gesturing before he finally noticed the two people having a fight in the adjoining kitchen. He very effortlessly made them ghostlike and she continued to lead the way.

~X~

"Leave?" Roland really did seem to lose it then, the first actual hint of anger lacing his tone as he full blown glared down at Cal. How could she ever suggest a thing? Where would she go? Who would keep her safe? Working at a diner couldn't be enough to support a life style and he found his fingers curling into fists at his sides at the idea that she'd be petty enough to say that to him. Or maybe she didn't realize how much she was hurting him with her words? He knew he certainly was missing some sort of piece of information. Some clue that could fix the mess between them.

To him it felt like this had all started when the house pushed for Cal to learn to use her abilities, but a tiny part of him knew the truth. This was a long time coming. A fallout between them. Both had their own fucked up issues that clearly put a bigger wall in the way. One that neither knew how to break down, not without the other being able to help first. He knew for a fact that he was so stuck in his own ways and mind and past that he couldn't really help Cal. And it killed him to see how she shrank away from him even while reaching out with the food. The food that he had basically annoyed her into making.

As the bowl fell to the ground Roland was stunned. He was usually able to stop those sorts of things from happening, but clearly he was losing it. Some sort of snap inside himself had released these pent up emotions and he was afraid that he'd push things too far if he didn't get away from Cal. "Leave." He barked, kneeling down towards the mess and brushing her hands away. "Just...go check on Dez."

Dez let out a frustrated sigh, knowing he'd said the wrong thing, but unable to ramify the situation. Ven was staying, and no amount of arguing would change the fact. Angry and hurt, he matched Ven's glare, leaving the study, door slamming behind him, only to find Roland and Cal in the kitchen, catching the tail end of their fight.

Cal flinched, frozen in place.

Dez, frustrated, and now utterly uncomfortable with what he'd walked into, moved to peel his sister off the floor, recoiling at first touch, surprised. She was freezing. Picking her up properly this time, her body was tense, movements slight. She didn't speak.
Dez looked to Roland, his stomach turning at the angry expression he now wore.

"Cal… we need to talk…" he said, lowly, pulling her towards the sink, spaghetti sauce dripping from her hands and pooling at her feet. Shoving her forward, he turned on the faucet and threw her hands beneath it, rolling up her sleeves in the process.
'Nothing new,' he noted, turning off the water and shoving a towel into her hand. It was then that he realized she was shaking.
"Cal…" he tapped her shoulder.
She didn't respond, eyes glassy. She almost seemed like she looking right through him, obviously not present.
"Cal… seriously," he shook her shoulder lightly, grip firm. He didn't have the patience to play this game with her, but still there was no response.
"Callé knock it off!" he growled, pushing her this time. Her leg bumped the counter, sending fresh pain up her leg, and it seemed to catch her attention, a small cry leaving her lips as she found herself again. Dez's hand was still on her shoulder.
"What was that just now? Seriously? You're gonna pull this shit again?" he asked, nerves on edge.
Cal shrunk away from her brother, but he didn't let her go, his grip squeezing around her shoulder. Cal cried out again, pulling herself away from Dez, surprising him. He hadn't realized he'd been holding on so tight, his anger getting the better of him.
Dez only shook his head. She looked awful, thinner, exhausted, and she wouldn't even look at him, body shaking violently now.
'Is that BLOOD on her pants? Jesus…' he thought, his heart gave a hard pang, guilt sitting heavily in his stomach.
He tried again, this time being a bit more gentle. Touching her arm, she flinched, and he bit his lip, fearful that she'd do or say something drastic. He tried again, managing to rest his hand on her shoulder this time. Cal looked up, finally registering that it was Dez in front of her, tears starting to well in her eyes, though she was frightfully silent. Dez shivered, tears springing to his eyes. She looked so fragile and broken. It was then that he realized how long it'd actually been since they'd talked. Pulling her into his arms, he hugged her tight, but she didn't move, instead just shivering as if nothing had changed.
"Callé….you're scaring me…." he said, voice just above a whisper. A low sob escaped her, muffled by hold on her. It took him another moment to be able to usher her upstairs, too afraid to leave her alone in her room. Helping her into her bed, he curled up beside her, holding her close.
"Let me go…"
"No."
"Just let me GO," she cried.
"No. I love you, Cal."
"I DON'T BELIEVE YOU," she sobbed, curling into herself. Dez only hugged her tighter, her skin like ice against his. Had he known things had gotten this bad, he never would have left her alone, but to his dismay, she was nowhere to be found the next morning, her phone sitting on the bedside table, untouched. No explanation for where she was or where she'd gone.

As Ivy pulled Ven into the training room she let go of his hand and sighed, looking around. She felt torn at the moment, wanting to be on Dez's side since this guy was a creep but also not wanting to leave someone out on the street. Things could get scary out in the real world, especially for an Acer. Ven was lucky since he was able to basically ghost out if things got too sketchy, but it still didn't mean she'd force him to take his chances out there. "Where did you used to live?" She asked him as she dropped the comforter and pillow, moving to the mats and beginning to drag them out.

Ven instantly began to help her, feeling a little bad at how easily he'd won her sympathy. "I, uh," He had known that he'd be asked these sort of questions, but he had mentally prepared himself for an interrogation. Ivy sounded sincere as she got to work setting up a makeshift bed for him. "Here and there." It wasn't a thing he liked to reflect on and he had a feeling not only from Gene's background in Ivy's story but in the way the girl watched him that she knew where he was coming from.

"Parents?" She asked, taking a step back to admire her work and sighing as she went back in, dividing the mats and moving one pile off to the side.

"Dead." He responded, voice cold and detached but she figured that was his defense mechanism. "Why two beds? Gonna' have a sleep over?"

"Not if you don't watch your mouth." She snapped and he gave her an appraising look. At the mall she had been very submissive, letting him walk all over her. Even around Dez she seemed to waver between letting him take the reins and doing whatever she wanted. "I'm going to sleep out here too. Dez is worried that you're up to no good so since I want you to stay for the night, until we can get ahold of Charles, I should bite the bullet."

"Not worried about your boyfriend getting jealous?" Ven was genuinely interested as stared at the single blanket and pillow, suddenly realizing they weren't for him. Ivy paused at this question and swore, as if it hadn't occurred to her until he mentioned it. "Maybe you should just leave me alone?"

"No way, Jose." She finally finished with her set up and moved the blanket and pillow to her piles of mats. "Now...I'm going to go get you a blanket and pillow, can you stay here? If I find out that you're being a creeper again then you're out."

~X~

The next day Ven startled awake, not really recalling where he was. It wasn't the this hadn't happened before, but it had been some time. He sat up, a slight shake to his body as he tried to get a grip on his surroundings. Eyes rested on a fluffy purple comforter and the red and black hair that peeked out from one end, and he managed to remember. Last Chance House, right, he thought as he scrambled out of the 'bed' and moved to where he had plugged his phone in to charge. After unlocking the three different locks on the thing he sent a text out to one of the higher ups asking for some help. He hoped that by the time the whole house started moving that this Charles person would've called to give him the okay.

In the mean time he pulled out his copy of Persuasion, finding it a little difficult to focus with Ivy sleeping so close by. It wasn't that she was snoring, or really making any sort of noise, but just her presence in general. For the last few years he had always wondered what his favorite author was like and Ivy wasn't really what he had imagined. Gene was just so complex and the things that happened to her were often dark. Even with the recent addition of the love interest Zaire, who he could now see strongly resembled Dez, Gene still managed to have a pretty fucked up life.

Absentmindedly Ven closed his book and rested his head against the wall he was leaning on, closing his eyes. She'd called him a weirdo and a creeper, which had hurt. He felt something hot run down his cheeks, but he didn't bother to wipe away the tears. It wasn't that he didn't know what he did was unusual, but this was just the only way he really knew how to talk to people. Being normal wasn't something he'd mastered and he had thought Ivy of all people would be able to understand. He saw the compassion in her eyes last night, but also the worry. Dez looked about ready to throw him out. He could only imagine what the Roland fellow would say to him, seeing as how he had completely ignored him the first time they met. Cal...well he doubted he'd see much of her.

Dez knocked lightly on Roland's door, holding one arm in his other hand, his mannerisms mimicking his sister in her absence. Clothes rumpled and wrinkled from the night before, he hadn't even bothered to wash his face before turning the house upside down. He wanted to be absolutely certain she wasn't here before he started searching all of her places. Still, Dez was pretty certain her and Roland had had another fight the night before, meaning it was safe to assume this would be the last place she was, unless she'd somehow managed to work up the courage to talk to him. Dez knocked again, a little louder this time, antsy, but trying hard not to actual be his usual pesty self. He liked getting on Roland's nerves, but now wasn't the time, and he wanted to make that abundantly clear.
"Hey uh… Sorry to bother you, it's just…. I can't find Cal. She….she isn't here with you, is she?" he bellowed, leaning against the wall, turning her phone in his hand.

Roland opened the door, naked save for the towel wrapped around his waist and the angry glower he wore, and stared at Dez for a solid minute. He'd been woken up earlier than he would've liked by a phone call from Charles, alerting him to the fact that their little friend from the mall was to be staying at the house for a few days, and couldn't fall back to sleep. After pacing in his room for a good hour he'd finally cracked and hoped in the shower, only just getting out now, and all in an effort to avoid Cal in case she was already up. If it wasn't clear from the obvious pissed off look on his face, which he was sure Dez had never truly seen, then it became clear as he said. "No. She probably left as soon as she woke up."

Though every fiber of his being was screaming for him to slam the door closed in the young boy's face he knew Dez well enough to recognize that the guy was being a little off. Besides, Cal had rarely been in the house for the last month or so, so why would he bother asking about her now. "Why?" The frown faltered as something cold and hard settled in the pit of his stomach, as if it could sense that something terrible was about to happen.

~X~

"Are you...crying?" Ven jerked his head forward at the sound of Ivy's voice and snapped his eyes open to find her sitting up in her little bed. Her hair was wild from sleep and her face a little puffy, but otherwise she seemed just as she usually looked. It appeared that she had slept in her clothes from the day before, not trusting Ven enough to leave for too long. "What happened?"

"Sad part in my book." He croaked, swiping furiously at his cheeks as he slipped the book back into his bag and stood up. He quickly made his way to the mats he'd slept on and began putting them back.

"Oh yeah? Find out that Louisa is alive and well?" Though the comment made him smile a bit, Ivy's serious gaze kept the air between them tense. She clearly didn't believe him and he wished that he'd been reading Jane Eyre instead, it would've made more sense to cry at the little girl's misfortune. Ivy stood up and followed suit with Ven, leading him back into the house when they were finished. "I'm gonna' go shower and change..." She paused, giving the boy a slow once over and pursing her lips. "I'll ask Roland if you can borrow a change of clothes." For some reason she didn't want to ask Dez, worried that he might still be upset. But then she remembered the fight she'd overheard between Roland and Cal and wondered which man would be less awkward to talk to.

"What should I do while I wait?" Ven asked, looking around a room he had already surveyed the night before and one other occasion.

"Make me something to eat." Was all Ivy said as she bounded up the steps.

Dez shrunk under Roland's harsh gaze, turning his gaze to the wall, shifting feet uncomfortably as he held out her phone.
"She doesn't leave the house without it…." he mumbled. He wasn't trying to set the guy off, and Dez was increasingly aware of how much stronger Roland was in that exact moment.
"I'm….seriously not trying to pick a fight or anything. I'm just looking for my sister," he said, managing to pull his gaze away from the wall long enough to look Roland in the eyes. Dez frowned, beginning to fidget even more in place. Roland could be intimidating when he wanted to be.

Roland looked at the phone like it carried the plague, but didn't really move. He felt glued to the spot as a million thoughts raced through his mind as he gazed at the plastic device. What was she thinking? Leaving without a way for us to get in contact? "Idiot." His words were a low grow that he barely understood and he wasn't directing it towards Dez. He wasn't even really sure he was directing it towards Cal either. "Let me get dressed." He barked, turning to go back into his room as he continued snapping, "Then we'll go look for her outside." First a bomb threat and now they lose Cal. What happened to the peaceful lives they were living not too long ago?

"Ah! Wait!" Ivy jogged the small distance from the stairs to Roland's room, not really having heard much of the conversation. "Roland, can I borrow some..." She trailed off as the giant man turned around to fix her with his glare, not even realizing that she was taking a step back until she almost tripped over herself. "Clothes?" The last word came out as a frightened squeak and for a moment Roland looked truly sorry for having scared her, but then any trace of emotions were gone. He shut the door behind him with a loud thump and she stood awkwardly in the hall, avoiding Dez as she fidgeted in place. Gods, I hope he's coming back soon.

Dez stood up straight in response to Roland's words, shoving his sister's phone into his pocket, letting out a weary sigh. He wasn't really sure where to start searching for the girl. There were only so many places Cal could possibly be, or so he thought. There was work, the park, the mall, on a run? Sometimes she like to draw on the edge of town or take her camera along some of the trails deeper in the park, but he doubted she'd taken her camera based on the current circumstances.
Shooting Ivy an apologetic look, he couldn't manage to wipe the frown from his face.
"He can borrow something of mine… as an apology for being such a prick yesterday…" he said, finding an immense interest in the texture of their ceiling at that exact moment.
"Room is kind of a mess right now, but anything in my dresser is clean…. Anything that isn't from the top drawer, that is…. I don't care if this dude is an acer or not, he's not welcome to wear my drawers," he said, trying to retain what little humor he had left. It was a struggle to maintain usual conversation when he was as stressed as he was at that exact moment. He felt like he couldn't sit still, concern rolling over him in waves.

Ivy opened her mouth to respond to Dez, not really sure how to respond to his kindness. She didn't really want to go through his room right now and search his clothes, not with this weird confusing feeling she was having about him. And not to mention that she thought Ven might get off on the idea of wearing Dez's clothes as well and use it to tease her some more. If she wanted to avoid burning the house down then Roland's clothes were the best bet. "Thanks, but nah." It was difficult to keep her tone casual as she avoided looking at the guy next to her.

It wasn't until she finally peeked over at him that she paused in her own self worry, turning fully to face him. "Hey," She reached out and placed a tentative hand on his shoulder. "You okay?" He was still in his clothes from last night and looking too tired to pass for well rested. Ivy wouldn't dare flatter herself by thinking that he'd lost sleep over her, so she assumed something must have happened to Cal. Of course, she thought as she mentally smacked herself, why else would he be talking to Roland? "Anything I can help with?"

"Let's go." Roland said as he broke up their conversation, stepping in between the two and continuing down the hall. Ivy had to press herself against a wall in an effort to not get knocked over and she just watched the two leave in silence. Once they were out of sight she went into her own room and got down to business, figuring she'd just do as Dez said and borrow some of his clothes.

Once down stairs Roland stalked into the kitchen, thoroughly startling Ven who had been in the process of putting ingredients in a bowl for pancakes, and stopped beside him. Ven looked to his side and then up to find the large man glaring at him. "Good morning." He managed to choke out, left hand squeezing a bottle of vanilla extract that he had planned to use to make the pancakes more interesting. "Hungry? I mean, I assume, since you're very big, but uh..." His eyes searched frantically for some sort of escape out of this situation, but Roland seemed to take up what he could see. If he wasn't so scared of the guy he might have found him attractive.

"Look, heterochromia weirdo," Ven's eye brows shot up at what he could only assume was a big word for such a simple looking man, but didn't stop Roland as he kept talking. "Dez and I are leaving for a bit. Ivy is in charge. I don't care if Charles said you could stay, one wrong move and I'll kick you right back out into the streets." The younger boy flinched, but nodded nonetheless. He was used to being threatened, but it didn't make it any less bothersome. "Touch her, and-"

Ven cut Roland off with a raised hand. "You'll kill me?"

Roland snorted, real amusement on his harsh face. "She'll kill you." The color drained from Ven's already pale face and Roland, pleased with himself and feeling a little unstable this morning, left the kitchen and walked out the front door. "Let's go, Dez."

Last edited:
Dez only shrugged, giving Ivy a somewhat forced smile, stuffing his hands into his pockets.
"Just don't do anything too reckless today…." he said, keeping an eye on Roland. He wasn't really in the mood to rehash their fight the night before about Ven staying. Really, he'd been a jerk when the guy just needed somewhere to be, but with the bomb threat and Cal missing, his timing really couldn't have been worse. Sneaking into the house also hadn't helped the situation. Hearing his name, he gave her a weak wave and trailed after Roland.
"Okay, I know you're not in the mood, but I seriously appreciate your help…" he gushed, unsure if Roland would even give him an answer.

~x~

Cal held out a gloved hand, stroking one of the dogs from the shelter, thankful the tears had finally started to dry up. Some of the dogs that were more familiar with her kept bringing her toys, and she wasn't really in the mood to play. The usually attendees needed someone to keep an eye on all the shelter while they did a food run, so they'd left her in the back with them, their only concern being that the girl looked even worse for wear than the usual. After an hour of silence, the front door swung open, a soft ringing coming from the bell that hung from the frame. Cal stood up, peering ever so slightly from the back room towards the counter, a girl making her way up to the counter, blue hair striking against such pale skin. Cal sauntered up to the counter, struggling to find her voice for a moment, thankful that the counter was separate from the front, a few dogs trailing behind her, their tongues lolling out of their mouth as they panted, some going as far as to whine for her attention.
"C-can I help you?" she asked. The girl gave Cal a once over and frowned, making a point to catch the happy dogs that trailed behind the girl.
"Um…can I help YOU? Girl, you look like you've been through hell. Are you okay?"
Cal pursed her lips, a little caught off guard by this response, leaning against the counter.
"Uh….the dogs….are you um…here to adopt?" she asked, trying to deflect the attention. Rowan quirked an eyebrow, leaning against the counter now, body relaxed.
"I…work here. We've met twice now…" the girl said, giving the other a shy smile.
Cal flushed lightly, looking away, embarrassed that she'd been so thoughtless.
"Oh sorry… come in. Here," she offered, opening the gate after she'd held off two of the dogs. The girl only laughed it off, changing into her work uniform once she was in the back, occasionally making idle conversation.
Cal felt lighter just being around her, her worries still heavy on her mind, but less of a priority than she'd originally thought moments before.

"Where would she even go?" Roland said aloud, not really registering that Dez was talking to him. He knew all the places they went to together, and where she worked, but what if she wasn't in those places? Why didn't she just take her phone. "Let's start with the diner, she might just be working and have forgotten her phone." After that they'd take the route she used to jog and make a stop at the nearby park.

After not finding Cal at the diner or along the trail she had frequented the last time he'd joined her for a jog, Roland was beginning to panic. If Dez had said anything to him between these places he hadn't heard it, lost in his own terrible thoughts that seemed to be set on repeat. What if who ever left the bomb threat also had something to do with Cal being missing. No, not missing, just not at the house. He sincerely hoped that she had just forgotten her phone. "Why didn't we check to see where she's been going this past month?" Roland snapped at Dez, making it sound like it was not only his fault but the brother's as well. "She could be..."

Roland knew from experience how bad things could get for an Acer outside the house and he worried that maybe someone had discovered she had powers. It wasn't entirely rare, just rare for where they lived, and so it was a possibility that they would have to entertain at some point. Until then he'd sent a worried text to Charles to update him on the situation. One new person staying and one other person just gone.

~X~

"Pancakes!" Ivy couldn't keep the surprise and delight out of her voice as she entered the kitchen. She was in a baggy shirt she'd stolen from a guy outside the house and a pair of booty shorts, which earned a raised eyebrow from Ven. "Hey, no judging, street rat." He flinched at the term, but she didn't really see anything bad about it. "Go get a shower. Up the stairs, third door on the right. Dez was kind enough to lend you some clothes, no underwear though."

"Why can't I just borrow your clothes? Looks like you have some male oriented attire." Another scornful look at the shirt and he wondered if she was even wearing pants under it. But after she opened a cabinet, reached up for a cup and thus tugged the fabric up, he was disappointed to see that she did have shorts on.

"Hm..." She thought on that as she poured a class of milk and picked a pancake up between two fingers. "I guess I could. Don't have any pants on me, but you look pretty skinny." Her eyes focused on Ven's waist and he shifted under the look. It was weird because for a moment he almost thought of her as an actual girl and not just an author. "Wanna' wear my clothes then?" No judgement in her voice, just honest curiosity.

"No." He huffed and she shrugged as if to say 'suit yourself' before devouring another pancake piece by piece. "Is it...good?" She nodded, turning the next into a taco of sorts as she pour syrup into the crease. It was clear to Ven that she was pretty childish in certain aspects and in others she had an uncanny ability to remind him of Gene, but that made sense. "Where did your friends go?"

"Ah..." Ivy frowned, actually upset that Dez and Roland had left to go somewhere without her and without even clueing her in. Not that she wanted Ven to know that.

Dez grew more and more worried as they visited all the places he could possibly think to check for Cal, mind beginning to race with the possibilities. He flinched at Roland's words, knowing deep down he should have made more of an effort to talk to Cal the last few weeks at all, let alone care enough to know where she'd been going each day. Suffocated by the thought of harm coming to her, he found himself jogging to keep up with Roland, trying to catch his attention by tapping his shoulder.
"We…we could check the dugouts at the baseball field…. I used to play when I was younger and she'd wait for me…. sketched and painted while she waited…" he suggested. It was true that they no longer lived in the same neighborhood and it was a bit of a stretch, but he would rather check there than call the local hospital. Instinctually, he knew she wouldn't go there unless she was serious about hurting herself. Grinding his teeth, he let out a defeated sigh.
"The hospital…. we should check….if someone hurt her….or she hurt herself," he gulped, cursing to himself knowing it was still a likely possibility.
"We should check there," was all he managed.

Roland rounded on Dez so fast that for a moment he felt like he was floating and he knew that the look in his eyes screamed murder. "Don't touch me." He seethed and his vision seemed to blur and tilt as memories flooded into his view, but he quickly shook them away. While he didn't apologize right away to the other male he did try to make sure the look he was giving Dez was less hostile, before finally giving up and turning away again. His eyes searched in front of him, not actually seeing what was there, and he wondered why he was breathing so fast.

It took him longer than he'd like to admit to finally come back to his senses and register exactly what Dez had said before he'd gone off on him. "Hospital." He rushed out the word, sounding both scared and hopeful. "Okay." And he was stalking off towards a bus stop, since the closest hospital was a ride away.

~X~

Ivy had managed to avoid Ven's question, but she realized after a while that he had let the conversation be dropped on purpose. He'd left to go get a shower and when he came back down she made a point of not looking at him. It felt weird to see someone else in Dez's clothes, and even thinking that made her feel even weirder and more confused. While Ven had been gone she'd cleaned up the kitchen, something she'd gotten into the habit of doing since Cal was hardly around anymore.

"So...what was with all those papers in the study?" Ven asked and Ivy paused in putting a stack of plates back into the cupboard. "Sorry...I realize that your master plan was to hide them from view yours and Dez's bodies, but I'm not stupid. You went to the mall for more than just a book, didn't you?"

Ivy found it a little suspicious that Ven would think that or even bring up the topic, but she pushed that thought away. If she started thinking about Ven as a threat then it would make the prospect of being in this house alone with him terrifying. One of the main reasons she'd slept in the training room with him last night was because she hadn't wanted to spend the night alone, keeping an eye on him was just a benefit. She hated to admit it, but she was still scared.

"Well, I guess two heads are better than one." Was all she said as she waved for him to follow her up the stairs.

Dez stumbled back, giving Roland a wide birth from then on, unable to distinguish the different looks he was giving him. Dez could have sworn one seemed almost softer, but it was hard to tell, and if he was being honest, he didn't pay that much attention to Roland's expressions most days. He didn't find it all that important when the guy seemed perpetually angry, the exception being around Cal, or at least, it used to be.
"She uh…. well, we don't really care for hospitals. I'm almost certain the feeling is still mutual," he said, trying to make small talk. Roland seemed distracted, just as breathless as Dez felt trying to figure out where to search next.
Dez shivered, his face paling as he stood there at the bus stop, mind swimming with possibilities, bloody images starting make his stomach roil. Shaking his head, he tried to whistle a tune, but found himself just a little too tired to do so, settling for a low hum as the bus pulled to the curb.

~x~

Cal watched Ro wash one of the smaller dogs, her hands running circles in its fur as suds spilled over the counter. Cal, finding it particularly hard to keep her head up, leaned back against one of the walls, eyes struggling to stay open toys were nudged and dropped all around her.
"You know I can handle things on my own. They'll be okay," Ro called, making small kissy faces as she massaged the dog, who seemed miraculously content, if not happy to be getting a bath. Cal noted the rarity of the positive response alone, lazily raising both arms which were both quickly filled by two or three dogs, all rallying for her touch and affection. This continued for a few more minutes before Ro spoke up again.
"Not to pry, but do you want to talk about it?"
"Nothing to really talk about," Cal yawned, scratching ears and rubbing bellies.
"I don't buy that," Ro insisted, pouring warm water over the dog, suds running down the drain, now.
"Things just aren't good at home right now. Fighting with my brother and my best friend….it's kind of stupid…"
"No. That must be really hard on you," Ro sympathized, working some of the water from the sink head through the fur of the dog.
Cal looked at the girl, surprised she sympathized so easily, and it must have shown on her face, because when the girl glanced back again, she frowned.
"Seriously…. it's hard fighting with people you aren't close with, let alone TWO that you are."
Cal nodded, letting out a long sigh this time, her chin now resting on her knees.
Ro finally set the dog down, enveloping it in a huge towel and rubbing to get the excess water. The dog broke away a few paces, shaking water onto the two girls. Ro squealed and Cal found herself smiling, laughing even.
"So do you need a place to stay the night?"
Cal looked up, shocked. She hadn't really thought about where she was going to spend the night. She figured she'd go home later in the evening, hoping to avoid Dez if at all possible.
"That's….really kind of you, but I don't want to cause any trouble," Cal mumbled, looking away bashfully.
"It's no trouble. Really. My roommate is gone on a trip, so there's an extra bed available if you want," she offered.
"I…yeah, actually, that would be…really nice," Cal yawned again, eyes starting to close once more. A moment later she was out cold despite all the dogs that were vying for her attention.