Learning to Love (Tinder and Saren)

Sephanir’s words were acknowledged with a quick nod as Cisa lost herself in her work. She went on to spend the majority of the evening after dinner addressing the leaks. She collected a number of buckets, moving barrels and boxes alike to reach the bare ground. She attempted to mop up the water, placing her buckets once the ground was clear. Before the end, the room had been nearly torn apart in her attempt to identify the whole problem. Though it was a temporary solution, she hoped her half-measures would at least hold until Sephanir had a plan.

-

During the week leading to the Water Wizard’s arrival, Cisa dedicated her time to the storeroom. She decided to begin by organizing the stores, identifying the items in each container before stacking them safety away from the leaks. Every now and then, she dumped the buckets of water to keep them from overflowing. It was tiring work, but the good sort. It reminded her of her time working in her father’s forge. She pushed herself hard to keep up with the work, but did so happily. She preferred the hard day’s work to the mundane cleaning she’d been doing most days.

Her only time away from the room was during meals and sleep. She’d found a number of new ingredients among the boxes and with them a new confidence to experiment. Though with her attention focused on the storeroom, she had little time to do more than add the new ingredients to her existing understanding of cooking.

Scalesworth reappeared from time to time, slithering through the kitchen and storeroom. The first incident had been unnerving. He slipped by her feet in the kitchen causing her to jump and nearly dropped the dish of bread dough she’d been carrying. She glared down and grumbled, “I agreed to leave you be. The least you could do is be elsewhere.” He didn’t respond or even acknowledge her presence; he only continued on with whatever errand he’d arranged for himself. She really hated that snake.

The only breaks in her day were her meals with Sephanir. Their conversations were minimal. Cisa felt too worn out for more than the a few questions and Sephanir was being himself. Truthfully, she didn’t mind the silence. It was companionable, comfortable, unlike the silence she’d felt during her first weeks in his service. As though both of them were enjoying the other’s presence. Cisa feared she knew Sephanir too well to really believe such a thing, but it did not change the fact that she enjoyed her time in his study. Her eyes would wander around the room, taking in the latest oddities or examining the map hanging on the wall. She felt little fear in his presence. It was difficult to believe she ever had.

This day she was once again working in the storeroom. She’d almost finished identifying and organizing the contents of the room. She hummed as usual, the sound of the dripping water long since turned into white noise. The musty odor of dirt and water had dulled as well. She reached up and wiped sweat from her brown with the back of her arm. A barrel stood next to her newly created meat section, containing what looked to her like dried venison. She leaned back on the barrel a moment, taking a quick breather. Knowing all the food that was stored down below made planning future meals easier. She glanced toward the buckets, half-filled again with water after less than an hour. She would need to make another run before long. That Wizard needed to hurry it up.

As though summoned by thoughts, Cisa became aware of Sephanir’s voice in the room, distant but present. He was speaking with another, male from the sound of the voice. It had to be the Water Wizard. Sephanir certainly hadn’t been expecting anyone else. And gods knew no one had yet made a spontaneous trip to see him.

She stood up off the barrel, dusting her clothing off. Her shawl was tied to her waist, the heat from her work making it too hot to wear. She’d tied her hair up as well, though several strands had fallen out and stuck to her neck and cheeks.

A portal appeared on one of the walls and after a man stepped out. Or stumbled, she wasn’t sure which. His appearance was not what she’d expected. He was…a handsome man. Not tall, but muscular beyond a doubt. The blue robes he wore left his arms and chest exposed. Bright blue eyes drew her to his face, where she noticed for the first time that he was soaked though. Remembering Cromdali’s entrance, she could only guess that this Wizard also carried his element with him wherever he went. It was then that she realized she’d been staring. Her eyes moved away for a moment, collecting her thoughts.

She walked forward, smiling pleasantly as she greeted him. “You must be the Water Wizard. It’s good to meet you. My name is Cisa.”

• Love
Reactions: Saren
Though Sephanir's pushy attitude had caused him to almost stumble into the room, the Water Wizard recovered easily, straightening up and squinting his eyes in the near darkness. The torches on the wall flared briefly to gather more light, but Sephanir knew Cisa could adjust more quickly than the Water Wizard. It was a fact that amused him when it shouldn't have, if only because his new guest was suffering for a few seconds. The Dark Wizard saw Cisa looking toward the other man in a different way than she saw him. A spike of emotion stabbed at him and he refused to acknowledge it. Cisa was his helper and nothing more, just as he'd told the Water Wizard. She also just so happened to be a pretty helper who had to live in his home for the next eleven years.

The Water Wizard smiled as Cisa stepped up. "So you are the one Cromdali talked about!" he exclaimed. "She was so happy to have made a new friend. And yes, I am. Telasorin, at your service." He bowed to her, and Sephanir rolled his eyes. "Seph tells me that there are a few issues with the pipes. I'll have to take a look at all of them, so it might take a while."

"Of course it will...." Sephanir muttered under his breath, turning back toward the portal. "I will check the pipes in my work room myself. Hopefully you fix the problem sooner rather than later." He shot Telasorin a yellow eyed glare, but the Water Wizard only grinned back. Sephanir pushed his hand through the portal before the rest of his body followed, the shadows swallowing him and disappearing with him. Now, only one dark portal remained from the store room to the kitchen, as if he was determined to make Telasorin walk everywhere.

"It must be uncomfortable," said Telasorin, looking back toward Cisa and the leaky pipe. "You know, to walk around with a stick up his arse all the time." Chuckling at his own joke, he stepped up to the pipe in the corner, running his hand on the cool metal. Even in the darkness, it was easy to see where the cracks were. He had installed the system quite some time ago, when Sephanir was more agreeable and didn't hate him for whatever reason. The water amassed under his hand, called by the presence of his magic, and for a brief moment, the dripping stopped.

"We'll have to check every room with a pipe running through it, which are, uh... most of 'em, if I remember right. This place sure ain't small, that's for sure."

• Love
Reactions: Tinder
Cisa stared at the blank wall with a frown. Sephanir seemed more irritable than usual. She assumed it had something to do with the appearance of Telasorin. Or she hoped it did. She couldn’t recall doing anything recently that would warrant that kind of cold shoulder. Unless he’d somehow heard her conversation earlier with Scalesworth. She may have mentioned something about locking him in a box or tying a bell to his tail. It had been a joke…mostly. She wanted some way to know where that little demon was before he slithered out of the dark corner she happened to be passing by. She would have sworn he was doing it on purpose, if he hadn’t been an animal.

But Telasorin’s response to Sephanir’s exit told her that his anger was directed elsewhere today. Though that didn’t tell her much. She turned her attention to Telasorin, watching him examine the pipes. He moved his hand around the leaks causing the water to collect there and almost congeal. She stepped closer to see around him, doing her best to keep from gawking. Sephanir’s insistence on using magic for everything had allowed her to grow more accustomed to it, replacing the fear she’s once felt with curiosity. What it must have felt like to wave a hand and bring water directly there…she ought to ask Sephanir more about his abilities when she found a chance to.

She tore her eyes away, nodding in agreeing with Telasorin. “I’ll help in any way that I can. Just tell me what you need done.”

She took a step away, examining the room to be sure those were the only pipes. Judging from the two Wizards’ interaction, it would be best for her to help Telasorin get his work done as quickly as possible. She couldn’t understand what about this man would offend Sephanir so. He seemed polite and charming, maybe a little easy going, but few shared Sephanir’s work ethic. Or obsession more accurately. He tolerated Cromdali despite her lack attitude, so why not this man?

Speculation would get her nowhere. “If you don’t mind my asking,” She spoke up again, attempting to sound casual, “How long have you known Sephanir?”

• Love
Though Sephanir hadn't told Telasorin what Cisa was capable of, the Water Wizard knew that she had done most of the cleaning in the store room and just about everywhere else he'd seen. The Dark Wizard was not known for his cleanliness, something Cromdali had told him of. It meant that Cisa had more work to do, but she was offering her help to him to fix the pipes. And he was damn well going to take that help, if only to piss off Sephanir more. It was just too easy.

Telasorin grinned, but he focused on the water first. The few droplets scattered on the ground came free of the dirt, gathering under his palm and merging with the water in the pipe. He forced it back down toward the well, halting the flow. In order to fix any leaks, no one could use any pumps for a while. Telasorin wasn't sure how often Sephanir bathed, so perhaps it didn't matter.

As Telasorin pressed the water back, Cisa spoke. She had asked Cromdali the same thing, he was sure, but their circumstances were different. "When little Seph came to the others, I wasn't who I am right now. My power didn't come to me right away. Even when it did, those around me ridiculed me for believing in such a thing as magic. My mentor, Nawania, she came to me soon after and helped me. That was only... I dunno, four years ago? Nawania, the old bat, she made me the Water Wizard in her stead, but she still helps me from time to time. When she named me, that was when I met Seph. I tried to be friends, but he had closed himself from the rest of us already. Only Pyri was his friend, though I don't much know how that one happened. Ever since then, Seph and I keep to ourselves. This is the first time I've seen him in a while. In fact, I was surprised when he even contacted me."

It was more than he could have said, but he'd answered her question. Every drop of water had been pushed back during the retelling of his past, and now, he could finally work. Pulling his hand away from the pipe, Telasorin turned to face Cisa. He still had the hints of a grin on his face, which meant that his story wasn't as sobering as he made it out to be. He threw an arm around Cisa's shoulders and walked toward the door.

"But enough about me. I want to hear about you! Seph's been hiding you from us... He wouldn't tell me how a human had gotten past all his traps and whatnot. I'm sure it's an exciting story."

• Love
Cisa watched as Telasorin worked, her eyes growing distant as he told his story. She recalled what Sephanir had said not so long ago after Cromdali had left. About how little the Wizards communicated. She’d thought he meant all Wizards, but the way Telasorin made it sound, it was Sephanir who chose to remain isolated. She could not imagine waking some morning with magic at her finger tips, nor living all alone with those same abilities. Yet Sephanir had chosen just that. His antisocial tendencies aside, she wondered what it was that had caused him to push all the others away. What could be worse than being alone?

When Telasorin turned back, she saw that his own attitude toward the situation was less concern and more acceptance. Or dismissal considering his cheery demeanor. And the change in topic confirmed that, as did his sudden familiarity as he put his arm around her shoulders. She could feel the cold water from his body dampen her shirt, reminding her again how little he wore. Her face became flushed, her relaxed posture growing rigid.

“There’s not much to talk about,” she insisted as she slipped out of his grasp, laughing nervously, “It was a simple accident. I came here looking for my sister. I just climbed over the wall and found an open door. Something was broken and now I’m working here to pay for it.” She left out the part about Sephanir threatening to kill Joanne, preferring to leave the unsavory memory in the past.

She opened the door to continue their work, deciding it would be best to change topics again and keep the focus off of herself. “What is the region like where you’re from? Is it far from here?”

• Love
Telasorin gave a light frown at her story, though perhaps it was related to how she ducked out from under him. The expression was quick, like it had never been there at all. Her story sounded like a throwaway about what had actually happened. While Telasorin prided himself on being a little pushy - or as he liked to call it, charming - but it seemed like Cisa wanted to keep some secrets to herself. He could understand that, though he had no problems telling his own past. It wasn't really a secret, and Nawania was still alive to reprimand him about it later if she felt like a human didn't need to know his tale.

"Ah, well, whenever Seph is mentioned, people always wonder if there's more to talk about than the official story. He generates that kind of gossip." With a wave of his hand, they continued walking like he had never even asked her the question.

"My home? Well, I can tell you it's much more lively than this old place. It's not as big, but Nawania and I have fun there. It's just two little huts on the edge of the ocean. We have the beach all to ourselves and there are cliffs and caves to go exploring in along the coast. We live not too far from Kanashon, the big city with the boats and all that. Beautiful place, really. You should come visit some time," he beamed while they entered one of the dustier rooms in the castle.

Right away, Telasorin could tell that Cisa had done her job admirably and tried to clean all the unused rooms in the castle. Her efforts were not entirely in vain, but he knew how dusty old books could get in a short amount of time. He knew Sephanir would have his head if a room like this had a leaky pipe, so he was quick to walk to the corner and peer up. The only reason this room had a pipe to begin with was because one of the many bathing rooms above them had a tub that didn't move. That probably went unused too, but Sephanir had wanted him to check everything. Even if the Dark Wizard didn't like him, that was preferable to an angry Wizard.

"One of these books probably has a map in it, if you want to look while you wait," he said, hand moving up along the length of the pipe. The muffled sound of rushing water could be heard as it went up through the pipe, following his fingers eagerly. He reached the middle of the pipe before a drop seeped through and slid down the metal. "Ah, just a loose pipe in here." He let the water go, grasping the pipe and twisting one part. Metal squeaked and popped as the pipe was righted back into place. He hadn't checked on this place in several years, so it made sense that eventually things were going to break. Why Sephanir had waited this long to mention it was beyond him though.

“I’m beginning to understand that,” Cisa muttered under her breath before Telasorin launched into another story about himself. Her dark thoughts were left behind as he went on to describe his home. Her eyes grew wide, curiosity overtaking her previous caution as she fell into step with him. “Your home sounds wonderful,” she smiled, turning her attention to the hall before them, “I’ve never seen the ocean, though I’ve heard the traders tell stories of it. Some of my favorites spoke of fish that were bigger than even the ships they sail, while others talked of far off lands where they traded for rare metals and plants.”

She followed Telasorin into the room, too distracted with thoughts of the distant country that he had described to notice the return of the dust. I’d like to see the ocean someday. She laughed at herself, knowing the likelihood of her ever finding time or coin to travel so far was slim. The next decade of her life would be dedicated to working here in the darkness of the castle and after that…she preferred not to think of that.

As Telasorin began his work, he mentioned the books sitting on the side table where Cisa had haphazardly stacked them. Her good mood disappeared in seconds, “Oh, of course.”

She stared at the stack, feeling her heart beginning to hammer in her chest. She had no idea what was in any of those books. They’d been in the way of her cleaning and so she’d put them to the side, attempting place them where Sephanir would see them should he need to find one. I can’t just stand here. She took a step towards them and stopped. What if I pick up the wrong one? If her choice was completely unrelated to maps, Telasorin would know something was wrong. She looked at the book on the top of the stack. If the book was in another language it would be understandable, but she thought she recognized a symbol or two from the cover. Stop hesitating, he’ll become suspicious! She reached for the top book, but stopped herself. I can just say I’m not interested. She pulled her hand back. You waited too long, pick up a book! She moved her hand again. Don’t! Her confusion became visible on her face. Just pick up the damn book!

She swiped the book from the top of the pile, flipping it open in the center. Words as far as the eye could see. She froze, uncertain if she should flip through the book or put it back. Her eyes glanced at the next book in the stack. No, just look through this one. She flipped the pages gently, scanning the unreadable text. Why can’t the Wizard put more pictures in his books?

• Love
The room fell silent as Telasorin began to check the other sections of the pipe. There was an odd lack of noise from Cisa, but she seemed to have taken his suggestion. He left her be as he tested the rest of the pipe. He found a few more loose sections, but the small library was better off than the storage room had been.

He had missed her actions, but he heard the slap of a book opening and the hurried flip of a few pages. Dust particles fluttered off the pages as she moved them, cloying the air around his temporary work station. Damn Sephanir for having so many books. Telasorin knew the Dark Wizard had read through them all, and that was the worst part.

As the Water Wizard turned back to face the young human, he found her far too tense for simply reading. Her eyes were scanning the pages, but she didn't look very focused. He stepped over, peering down at what she was flipping through. It was a book on plant life in dry regions and not at all a map.

"Cisa?" he prompted. "Are you all right?" He reached out, grasping her hand to prevent her from moving any more pages. He didn't tell her that she'd not picked up a map. He didn't say anything that might come off as offensive or insensitive. Something in her demeanor had changed, and it was a stark contrast from her smiles from earlier.

-

Unbeknownst to both human and Wizard, Sephanir was listening to them. He had a terrible habit of eavesdropping, which was how he knew Cisa often talked to herself while she worked. She hummed sometimes too, though there were no words to accompany her song.

When Cromdali had been around, he had been a little more mindful of his habit. However, Cromdali was not Telasorin, because Sephanir trusted the Earth Wizard. The Water Wizard was not so lucky, and he had been careful to keep an ear on their conversation. He didn't need to see them with his own eye to know what they were doing. He was aware that they were in one of his older libraries, the shelves and tables stacked high with books from his youth. Some were written in his own hand and others had been designed and written by Malkore, his old master.

Telasorin was smart enough not to touch any of the books, and it should have been an easy check up on the pipes. However, they were lingering when they should not have been. He heard Telasorin question Cisa's sudden mood swing, and it brought him out of his quiet writing. He turned his head as if he were listening to something behind him, and he waited for an answer, just as Telasorin did.

• Love
Cisa froze under Telasorin’s touch, his cool grip pulling her hand away from the pages of the book. Damn it. She concentrated on the lump of paper before her, fighting against the blush rising to her cheeks. He knew. She’d picked up the wrong book and now Telasorin knew. I haven’t said anything, she reasoned pitifully, perhaps he only suspects. Not that his level of certain changed the situation.

This is silly. I have no reason to be embarrassed, she argued, attempting to find her dignity beneath the creeping wave of embarrassment. Plenty of people from the village can read no more than a word or two. It’s a skill meant for the upper class in the big cities. That logic left her feeling colder. The Wizards all knew how to read and write, in multiple languages even. To say reading was meant for her betters was to place the Wizards among them. Leaving her beneath it all; beneath them. I am beneath them, she reminded herself, why should that bother me? The image of Sephanir’s face scowling disapprovingly flashed through her mind. She turned her mind back to the present situation.

She had to say something. The silence was stretching on far too long. “I…” she paused. Just lie, a petty voice within her begged. She took a breath and forced herself to continue, “I can’t read.” She could feel her cheeks glowing in the gloom, wishing she were anywhere else. She pulled her hand away from Telasorin, closed the book, and placed it back on the stack carefully. “There was never enough time or money,” she explained, her voice controlled as she remained focused on the wall before her, “Tutors cost a great deal this far away from the capital and my family had enough difficulties getting by.” That kind of money could not be wasted on a bastard child. She lifted her hand to rub the back of her neck, massaging the raised skin momentarily. She glanced back at Telasorin, attempting a smile, “Not that it bothered me growing up. Before I came to this place, I’d only seen a handful of books in my life, all of which sounded quite boring when read aloud. I still don’t see what all the fuss is about.” She remembered night after night of Joanne sitting at the table reading her books, going on about some king or the types of wildlife found in the nearby woods. Cisa laid in bed, grateful that she could sleep even as she envied the skill with which her sister read. Cisa turned to face Telasorin, her eyes flickering away from his face, “I would rather Sephanir didn’t hear about this. If you wouldn’t mind.”

• Love
His question and her subsequent silence seemed to darken the whole room, but in reality, it was Sephanir waiting for an answer. Cisa had never been so quiet about anything before... as far as he knew. She had told him some things about herself, and he had done her the same courtesy.

When he heard the answer, Sephanir let out a breath, every light in the castle flickering with his power. It was a second nature reaction for him, and it was an action that went unseen by everyone who entered and exited his home. Not that there were many people that did that as of late.

Cisa kept going, talking about why she could not read, and Telasorin was patient enough to listen. Both Wizards waited until she finished her story, but she wasn't quite done.

"I would rather Sephanir didn't hear about this. If you wouldn't mind."

Sephanir was surprised to find that the words stung him. She was willing to tell Telasorin, but not him. He had told her about all the times he'd written books and how half the books in the very castle were written by his hand. He was clearly knowledgeable, but she didn't want him to know.

She thinks herself stupid, a voice nagged on the inside. Was he... too smart for her? Every time she watched him, she must have felt inadequate. To her, it must have been like he was boasting his skill, uncaring of those who were illiterate.

He frowned, his hands moving to close the book before he'd even realized he had done so. He knew right where Telasorin and Cisa were, but if he showed up now, they would suspect them. He sighed, forcing himself to wait. Telasorin could handle the situation... even if Sephanir didn't want him to.

-

By nature, Telasorin was not so patient. Nawania had smacked him upside the head many a time for his unwillingness to wait for anything. With women, he had learned, it was smarter to let them finish before he interrupted them. It was a problem with most, because he couldn't always figure out when they were done talking.

Here, however, Cisa's final words were just that: final. She didn't want Sephanir to know, and he could respect that. "Well... he and I don't really talk much, so I can promise you he won't find out from me," he said, watching her gaze slip to the ground.

"Hey," he bent down so she had to look at him, "It's okay. I couldn't write for the longest time either. Nawania had to teach me to scribe in her language because she complains about her wrists hurting too much. Something about her being old." He tried to smile for her sake, but it seemed like she was just too embarrassed about this new information.

"Just because he's smarter than all of us put together doesn't mean he'll hate you because you can't read. You said it yourself, you didn't have the resources. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Besides, you're clearly not stupid. Your inability to do something doesn't make you worthless, because I'm sure you have plenty of other skills to offer."

He used both hands to sweep out, showing off the room. "I mean, have you seen this place? I wasn't sure the dust would ever come off the walls here, but you managed to find the stone under it all."

• Love
Cisa took a step back when Telasorin appeared before her, surprise driving the gloom from her expression. She followed his movements around the room, silenced by his sudden gush of sympathy and praise. It was odd to hear such kind words for what was ultimately a trivial matter. While she hadn’t expected Telasorin to be overly cruel, his positivity was also overwhelming. It took her some time to find words to respond to him, beyond the blush on her face. “Thank you,” she managed, smiling to put him at ease, “That’s…very sweet of you to say.”

Relief should have followed. Her secret was out in the open and Telasorin had accepted it, but unease remained. Cisa felt the smile on her face slip away again. Why would she ask him to keep this from Sephanir? Telasorin had said it himself. The Wizard would not hold something this petty against her. It would be another fact about herself, one he would perhaps gawk at momentarily before he continued on. Yet dread remained buried within her in. It would be fine until he had more questions. Her hand returned to the back of her neck momentarily. Questions that followed behind this secret would have dark answers. Now is not the time to worry about this, she told herself, Telasorin doesn’t need to know any other details. Change the topic.

“I have a favor to ask you,” she said, focusing her attention on Telasorin. That is a change in topics, but what favor?! She froze, going through every possible options. Some heavy lifting? Too suspicious. Issues with one of the pipes? Hardly a favor considering the circumstances. Then she remembered her letter. “Could we, ah, check in my room next? There’s something I need...help with there.” Vague, but asking to have something read to her just sounded…childish. It would easier just to show him.

• Love
She was giving him a blush and a smile, and that was good enough for him. Her inability to read wasn't her own fault, and she had to know that. There were too many circumstances that prevented non-mages to do a lot of things, since having magic often got someone noticed, for good or bad. He knew he'd gotten lucky, and though Nawania was a hard teacher sometimes, he knew she was proud of him... mostly. She'd be happy to know that he'd at least helped a non-mage while he was visiting Sephanir's castle. She had been quick to shoo him away after all.

The room fell silent again, and Sephanir waited with bated breath for Cisa's response. He'd already heard the warmth in her voice, but it was not something he had personally been shown. Telasorin was the lucky one, getting to hear that kind of tone from her first. Perhaps Cromdali had as well, but the Earth Wizard had a habit of making even the darkest of people smile for her.

With a sigh, Sephanir went back to his book, sitting roughly in his stool behind his pedestal. Telasorin was here to fix the pipes, and Sephanir fully expected him to do that and not flirt with his helper. The Water Wizard's comments hadn't even been suggestive; he'd seemed genuine in his desire to see Cisa happy again. A sad helper wasn't doing much to help, and Telasorin did have a way with women, flirtatious or not.

However, both men tensed up at Cisa's question. Telasorin let it go quickly, but Sephanir was not so fast to let himself relax. Perhaps Telasorin's charm had rubbed off too much on Cisa already. Damn him, Sephanir huffed in his own head, but he didn't move... not yet. If he felt like he had to intervene, he would. Cisa really wasn't making it any better by inviting Telasorin to her room for help with something. The Dark Wizard bit back another growling sigh, gripping his quill so tightly that he snapped it. Tossing it onto the ground under his pedestal, he grabbed another from the shelf behind him. Quills snapped often with how much he wrote, but it had been some time since he'd snapped one out of... anger. Why was he angry? He had no reason to be.

-

"Oh, uh... sure." It was suddenly awkward, but he shook it off. "Show me the way." With one last check on the pipe, the two headed back out into the hall toward her room. "Hopefully Sephanir was smart enough to put you in a room that has flowing water. I can't imagine climbing any of these stairs or even walking these dusty halls to find a place to get clean." It was where the ocean came in handy; he could bathe without anyone but the fish seeing him.

"Wow, Cromdali wasn't kidding when she said this place had actually been cleaned up," he marveled while they walked. He was sure dirt and dust would forever be stuck to the stones, but even the carpets and tapestries looked like they'd been scrubbed. "If Sephanir's old master was still alive, I think he would have liked you. He was the most clean guy I'd ever met, so he really hated it when the Air Wizards came around and blew his papers across the room."

• Love
Cisa released a pent up breath, fearing for a moment he might ask for more details. A genuine smile crossed her lips then, “Thank you. This way, we’re not far from it.” The walk allowed her time to think and process what to do about this whole mess. Telasorin chatted as they walked, seemingly content leaving the subject where it lay. So long as he says nothing to Sephanir… The thought alone kept Cisa on edge. She felt she could trust Telasorin, but he did enjoy talking. And he seems to enjoy taunting Sephanir even more. It would be better for Cisa to find a time to tell Sephanir herself, the next time they were alone perhaps. She could explain herself fully then. He would respect her wish not to discuss the reasons behind it all. It had been inevitable, though in her delusion she had pretended otherwise. Spending years together would have made it impossible to avoid the subject forever. Informing him would mean one less secret between them. She only had to survive the remainder of Telasorin’s visit.

She laughed as Telasorin talked about Sephanir’s old master. “I’ve heard a little about him. It is difficult to imagine someone so neat living with Sephanir. Would that mean cleaning the castle was once a part of his duties?” She joked, though the question could be a genuine one. Perhaps the state of the castle was a direct result of the work his master had once forced on him. That does sound like something he would do. He’d justify it as well, putting more time into his studies and letting the cleanliness of the castle drift away simple as that. Completely hopeless.

They arrived at her door a few minutes later. Cisa ushered Telasorin inside, checking the corridor before closing the door behind them. “Good, I think we’re alone.” She sighed, grateful to see that Sephanir had not been following them. Considering how quickly he left earlier, I doubt he’s going to leave his rooms until Telasorin leaves the castle. She walked toward the dresser, stopping when she remembered the dress within. Considering Telasorin’s previous comments about her clothing, it might be better if he remained unaware of it. She’d never grown accustomed to the kind of attention Telasorin had been showing her.

She turned back to him and pointed toward the door to the washing room. “The pipes are in that room. Go ahead and check those first. I’ll just…prepare for that task I asked you about.” Just say you’ll get the damned letter out. What are you, a child? She hated being so secretive, but the whole situation was already uncomfortable enough. She doubted anything she said could make it worse at this point.

• Love
“I would certainly hope so. Sephanir’s old master was a stickler, but I guess his lessons didn’t stick too well to our Dark Wizard. He always seemed like the bookish type anyway,” Telasorin shrugged. Sephanir had never tried to hide who he was; even as a teenager, he had been more inclined to hide away in his books rather than speak to others. After Malkore had passed, it had been almost a month before Pyrisilka had even bothered to check on Sephanir. There had always been a private celebration when a new Wizard was appointed, but Sephanir never attended the ceremony. Some assumed he was too caught up in the wake of his master’s death, but perhaps it was just for Sephanir’s own sake. He had been an outlier, a loner for quite some time, but clearly time had not fixed that aspect of him.

They were silent until Cisa practically pushed him inside her room. She was quick to shut the door behind them, leaving the room a little on the dark side. Sephanir hated candles too, so it seemed. Still, even by the dim lighting, it was easy to see that the room was not personable by any means. Though it had a bed and a dresser, it was still dark and gloomy. Cisa didn’t have anything to show that the room belonged to her or that she even slept in it. The bed was immaculately made, and he had a feeling that Sephanir’s did not look so nice. Cisa probably wasn’t allowed in his room, but that was probably because it was just like the rest of the castle: dirty.

Her voice broke him out of his observation, but she seemed embarrassed of her own words. In that moment, he wasn’t too sure what to think. She had barely wanted his arm around her while they had walked, but now she was all flustered after inviting him to her bedroom. “Uh, sure,” he said, rubbing the back of his head while she turned away. “If they aren’t broken, it shouldn’t take long.” He followed where she had pointed, pushing the smaller door open to reveal the bathing room. This room felt more used, as there were actual soaps and linens for her to utilize. So Sephanir hadn’t left her completely in the dark, though it seemed more and more that Cisa’s servitude wasn’t exactly voluntary. The first indication of that was the fact that Sephanir even had a servant. He’d made it clear that he wanted little to do with anyone, but here Cisa was, getting “prepared” for a certain task. One thing was certain: Cisa certainly was a little confused.

To preserve her dignity, Telasorin closed the door behind him and let out a quiet sigh. Per Sephanir’s forceful instructions, Telasorin was respecting Cisa and her need for distance. The poor girl was making it hard on him with comments like that though. He steeled himself, focusing on the task at hand. He didn’t think there was anything wrong with the pipes in here, but it never hurt to check. He ran his hands over the cool metal, feeling water rush up and down without being impeded. He made sure the water ran all the way up and around to the tub as well as back down into the ground, but there were no problems.

Instead of going right back out, he gave Cisa a few minutes to collect herself and do whatever she needed to do. After waiting inside the bathing room, he pushed the door open slowly, letting his feet lead rather than his head. “Is everything good?” he asked, just the barest hint of hesitation in his voice.

• Love
As Telasorin stepped into the bathing room, Cisa slapped her hand over her face, groaning silently. She had the social graces and subtlety of a rampaging bear. When had communicating with another person become so difficult? I’ve been here far too long. Sephanir is starting to rub off on me. Telasorin had probably guessed what she intended and now was playing along to keep from embarrassing her. I should have just mentioned the letter. I’m a grown adult, not some whimpering child. She walked over the dresser and, after a brief glance over her shoulder, cracked it open, swiping the envelope from its place at the foot of the dress. She breathed out, feeling some of the tension leave her. The dress had been a thoughtful gesture, but Cisa couldn’t bring herself to wear it. Her job required her to dress practically so that she could move freely while she worked. Unfortunately Wizards seem to be fond of impracticality. She couldn’t imagine how Sephanir would respond to her wearing something…so feminine. Her eyes strayed back to the closed doors. He had been surprising vocal about the clothes Cromdali made the first time he had seen them. That he’d noticed anything at all had been a shock. He would think me foolish for not wearing it. Or perhaps Cromdali foolish for making it. She shook her and made her way toward the bed, a frustrated frown on her face. She would rather not have to explain to Telasorin why she had left Cromdali’s gift untouched for so long.

She retrieved an unlit candle from one of her drawers, tipping it to light the wick with a candle already burning. The glow it gave off was dull but enough to read by she hoped. Sofia had always insisted Joanne use several candles when she read at night, something about reading in the dim light leading to blindness. Sephanir would have asked me to take the light away. She glanced at a dark corner, wondering what he’d been up to while they checked on his pipes. He probably had his nose buried in his book, hardly aware of the time passing. She sighed again, trying to put the Dark Wizard out of her mind. He’ll stay locked away for the rest of the day, at least until Telasorin leaves the mansion.

Speaking of, Telasorin’s voice came through the door as he reentered the room. Had Cisa not known better, she would have sworn he sounded hesitant. She laughed at her own foolishness. As though a Wizard would have any reason to fear her. Telasorin would have more to worry about with a disgruntled goat in the forest. She came forward, swallowing her pride and presenting him with the torn envelope. She bit her lip before forcing the words from her mouth. “Cromdali left this behind a few weeks ago. I tried to read it, but it I couldn’t piece any of it together. Would you be willing to tell me what it says?” I could not sound more pathetic even if I tugged at his pant leg and whined. She was beginning to understand her father’s hatred for paper and words. Asking to be read to was an uncomfortable position to be in.

• Love
Telasorin was expecting a lot of things from Cisa – and some tiny part of him truly expected her to take their sudden friendship a little farther – but when she handed him a crumpled note, he found himself at a lack of works. She was saying that she could not read it, that it didn’t make any sense to her. He carefully took the note from her grasp, looking down to scan the words. The handwriting was loopy and flowing, and he immediately recognized it as Cromdali’s handiwork. She had always had beautiful handwriting, though it was unclear where she had learned to flourish and flow so well. A small smile quirked at his lips as he scanned the words, and for Cisa’s sake, he read them out loud.

“Dearest Cisa, I very much enjoyed the time we spent together. Do not worry about Sephanir. He may act like an old fool, but he is a kind man in his heart. He has spent many years alone, but it will be good for him to have such a wonderful helper like you. He would not reward you for being good to him, so I thought I would take it upon myself and leave you a gift. I know dresses are not practical for cleaning or taking care of another, but you deserve to feel beautiful.” He glanced up at Cisa, but she wasn’t wearing the dress; in fact, he didn’t see it anywhere. Perhaps it was too embarrassing for her, though he thought she would look good in anything Cromdali could fashion. The Earth Wizard had a knack for creating colorful clothing that looked perfect for anyone, no matter what.

Looking back down at the letter, he continued, “I hope I can see you again soon, and perhaps Sephanir will decide to grace us with his presence when that day comes. Scout misses you dearly as well. Sincerely, Cromdali.”

He ended his reading with another small smile and a shake of his head. “Trust Cromdali to make you something free of charge. That girl gives a lot without any care for herself.”

-

Sephanir didn’t know why he’d become so angry. It didn’t matter that Cisa couldn’t read or that Cromdali had left a note full of feeling and happiness. The dress didn’t matter either. It was that she hadn’t been open with him about her illiteracy. She could have told him and he would have been fine with it. She was still intelligent and capable, so what did it matter if she could not apply it to books or parchments?

It occurred to him then that he was asking of her what she silently asked of him. How could he expect her to be open when he was so closed off himself? It was a foolish thing to ask. He let out a sigh, setting down his fresh quill and raking a hand through his hair. He could have simply let her go, but he’d forced her to make up for her sister’s mistake. The gem her sister had broken was worthless; it hadn’t been able to hold any magic for years. It was just a reminder of his childhood, and when he looked back on it, it had not been as glamorous or special as he had once thought. In fact, he had likely inflicted a far worse fate on Cisa than Malkore had on him all those years ago.

• Love
Cisa crept closer as Telasorin read and peeked over his shoulder. While she connected few of the words to the symbols, she preferred to make the attempt and stare down at the page rather than only listen to Telasorin. The words alone were worth the awkward effort. Cisa smirked when Cromdali spoke of Sephanir. Her predictions lined up with the previous weeks almost too well. Though she had to admit she’d enjoyed the days far more than she would have thought possible a month prior. Sephanir had even thanked her once. They’d managed to hold conversation for more than a few minutes. And in all that time…she’d told him next to nothing about herself. Their conversations had been neutral, usually revolving around magic. He’d never tried to ask her anything personal, only vague questions on occasion about what they were discussing. Though she hadn’t tried to learn much about Sephanir either. She breathed out slowly.

When the topic of the dress came up, Telasorin glanced up from the letter. He briefly examined Cisa before continuing. She took a step back as he did, realizing how close she had gotten as he read. Thankfully he refrained from asking about the absent clothing. This encounter had been awkward enough without her having to explain her mixed feelings about the gift. Perhaps she would try to wear the dress when Cromdali visited next. At least she would be able to appreciate her hard work that way.

“She’s a very kind person,” Cisa agreed as Telasorin concluded his reading. She met Telasorin’s eyes and gave him a warm smile, “Thank you for doing that, Telasorin.” She took the letter back from him and returned it to the dresser with the dress. She would have to try and look at it again tonight. Perhaps she would be able to make out some of the words after hearing it read aloud.

For the time being duty called. Having put her mind at ease, she turned around with a determined spark in her eyes, “We should get back to work then. We still have most of the mansion left to get through.” She led Telasorin out of her room and into the hall. She headed into one of the rooms down the hall. She intended to work from this hall out. With luck, it would help them to make up for some lost time. At least the stops would be cleaner.

• Love
Telasorin was quick to follow Cisa, and for the rest of their cleaning time, they remained together. It didn’t seem to be nearly as tense now that they had gotten Cisa’s secret out of the way. She smiled a little easier and was just as willing to help as she had been before. Of course, Sephanir couldn’t see her, but he could hear it as they talked and moved around his home. Instead of being happy about the repairs to his home, Sephanir found himself growing increasingly frustrated with the entire situation. After another few hours of listening to them chat, Sephanir had closed the portals he’d used for eavesdropping and gone back to his work. However, he soon found it too hard to concentrate. Unwilling to risk breaking another quill, he set aside his work and instead focused on the sapphire Cisa’s sister had shattered. The damn thing wouldn’t stay together no matter how much magic he pumped into it, and rather than be mended, the jagged edges glowed with flickering, yellow light. It stayed that way for a while until a piece broke off, much to his chagrin.

Biting back more anger, Sephanir resolved to rest in his room until he heard – with his own ears and not a portal – Cisa and Telasorin move toward his door. He sat up in his chair, granting them permission to enter his room when Cisa knocked. She’d been smart enough to pick up on his habits fast, and after the first day, she’d never been anything but quietly polite, respecting his unspoken rules.

When they entered, Sephanir saw the smile on Cisa’s face wane ever so slightly. Perhaps they’d been joking all the way up to his door, and now that they stood in his presence, they had to adopt an air of seriousness. Sephanir spared a longer glance at Cisa than he did at Telasorin, but ultimately, his yellowish-gold gaze settled back on the Water Wizard. “I trust everything is back in working order?”

“Yep,” Telasorin answered with a firm nod. “We checked pretty much every room, and we didn’t get lost in this place one time!” He glanced down at Cisa, and his grin returned. “I’d say we make a pretty good team, don’t’cha think?” he asked.

Sephanir didn’t give either of them time to continue that line of thought as his eyes narrowed and he spoke up once more. “Then I suppose you can leave now.”

Telasorin shrugged, not letting the underlying tone of slight irritation get to him. “I could, but it’s a long way back and it’s pretty dark out… I think it is at least. Cromdali mentioned all kinds of animals live out in your forest, and I’m not so good with them like she is.”

Sephanir bit the inside of his cheek, refraining from making any sort of retort. “…Very well. I’m sure Cisa can show you to an empty room. And while you’re here, you can help her make dinner.” It was as much of a sendoff as either one of them would get, so Telasorin followed Cisa out of the room, waiting until they were close to one of the permanent portals before he piped up.

“Does he seem more… hateful than normal? I help him and he tries to send me off to get killed by whatever gods-awful animals live out there.” It was the first and only time Telasorin had gotten truly upset while inside Sephanir’s home, but the moment didn’t last. He couldn’t be permanently bitter like the Dark Wizard.

• Love
The remainder of the day flew by as Cisa and Telasorin went through the mansion room by room. Conversations came more easily after her revelation. The encounter served as a sort of bridge over the awkward air that had previously engulfed them. Cisa found she enjoyed speaking to Telasorin with his infectious smile and easygoing air. They explored a variety of topics together, though the mood remained lighthearted. Neither had any desire to revisit the intensity of their encounter earlier that day. By the time they’d finished, they’d developed a friendly back-and-forth that reminded Cisa of the conversations she’d once had with Joanne.

Their conversation had turned to the creatures of the sea as they climbed the stairs on their way back to Sephanir. Telasorin had spent the majority of the climb describing a flat fish with a long tail that lived near the sea floor along with another larger fish that could jump high into the air and often swam with people in the water. Cisa shook her head as they neared the door, her eyes shining as she tried to picture them in her mind. “What it would be like to see such amazing creatures up close,” she mused aloud as she raised her hand and gave the door three firm raps.

When the door opened, the pleasant air soured as Sephanir greeted them. Cisa met his gaze, her smile disappearing into a confused frown. His cold demeanor seemed absolutely frigid as he asked for Telasorin’s report; a feat Cisa had not thought possible before. Telasorin tried his best to answer fairly, or so she thought. When he looked down at her, she returned his grin, prepared to back up his statement before Sephanir cut them off.

He dismissed Telasorin with a curt response, much to Cisa’s surprise. She knew he disliked Telasorin, but to throw him out after all the work he’d done that day was cruel even by the Dark Wizard’s standards. He seemed agitated in a way that Cisa had never seen before. He hasn’t even been near Telasorin today. Could he really hate him that much? Sephanir sent them off to prepare dinner before Cisa could say a word to him. She led the way out of the room, sneaking a quick peek at the Wizard over her shoulder. What the devil has gotten into him? She suppressed an exasperated sigh as they neared the portal.

She glanced back at Telasorin when he asked his question. “I haven’t a clue, though that’s not really surprising,” she grumbled at the end of her sentence. It always seemed to happen this way whenever she thought she understood some part of Sephanir. He could be so utterly maddening. Annoyance knitted her brows together as she gave a huff. “I’ll try to speak with him after we’ve finished making dinner. Perhaps he’ll say something without you in the room.” She paused and gave Telasorin a weak smile when she realized the unintentional implications of her words. “Ah, no offense.”

They spent the better part of the evening making the stew. Telasorin proved to be quite helpful in the kitchen, acting as her taste tester for a few new herb combination she’d been thinking of trying. It was helpful to have the immediate feedback rather than getting a few mumbled words after she’d served the food. She mulled over what to say to Sephanir as she worked. While she’d rather not upset him anymore than he already seemed to be, he had to see how childish he was being. Telasorin deserved respect just as much as any other Wizard did. She walked herself through the conversation as she prepared a bowl for Sephanir. Telasorin set the table for the two of them in the kitchen. She refused to force a guest to eat alone, no matter how much Sephanir disliked him.

“I’ll be back in a moment,” Cisa called to him as she returned to the portal and stepped through. She came to the door, but found herself hesitating. She raised her hand, scolding herself for her foolish nerves. They’d spoken multiple times now and she’d managed to point out a few flaws in his thinking before. Perhaps not outright rebuked him, but even Wizards deserved to know when they were wrong. She nodded and knocked on the door, entering after he called out to her. “Hello again.” She attempted to remain relaxed as she crossed the room to him, hoping her attitude would have a meaningful effect on his own disposition. Judging by his expression, it had not.

She swallowed her fear as she set the bowl down on the table. “I’ve brought you some food. I thought that perhaps you would prefer to eat up here because…” Damnit. She tried to recover by clearing her throat. “I think it turned out nicely.” Tension settled in the room, seemingly increasing with each flutter of her heart. She had to say something before Sephanir had a chance to throw her out.

“I know it’s not my place,” she blurted out before pausing to regather her shattered thoughts. She met his eyes, drawing on her frustration to give her confidence. “But the way you’ve treated Telasorin, it seems—no, it is unfair. He came all this way to help you and did quite a bit of work today without asking for anything in return. He’s your fellow Wizard and a decent man. Don’t you think you could at least try to act civilly toward him?”

She relaxed internally, happy to have gotten the words off her chest. She knew Sephanir would likely just brush them off, but at least she would know she’d tried.

• Love
“None taken,” Telasorin assured. “He’s always been like this to me, but it seems particularly bad even today. Maybe he’s upset that I’m not Cromdali, but he’s the one that called me.” The Water Wizard shrugged, but they left it at that. He disliked all kinds of confrontation, but Sephanir seemed determined to sour what little relationship they shared. Sephanir had only ever been truly kind to Pyrisilka, but Cromdali apparently seemed to be an exception to his rule now. She’d stayed for several days, interacting with Cisa and brightening up the terribly dark castle. Maybe it came down to the simple fact that Cromdali was prettier than he was.

He did his best not to give it any further thought, choosing to ignore the bitter air they were leaving behind. The further they ventured from Sephanir’s door, the better the world seemed to be. Perhaps it was safer for everyone if Sephanir just locked himself away in his room permanently. It was a dark thought for someone like him, for he was the type to wish harm upon no one. He didn’t have enemies, and he knew what it was like to be frustrated without being truly angry. Nawania, his master, had certainly shown him that he could struggle and work hard to be good at something. Sephanir had been naturally gifted at magic, but he had neglected to share that knowledge with the rest of the group. He seemed determined to remain an outcast, despite anyone’s attempts to reach out to him. Cromdali seemed to have broken a barrier with her arrival, but it had all stemmed from Sephanir’s very strange idea to keep an indentured servant.

The Dark Wizard was given no more thought as they reached the kitchen. Telasorin, despite his slim physique, loved to eat, and he was more than willing to try anything Cisa put in front of him. He helped her purify and boil the water before she started tossing all kinds of spices and vegetables into the mix. He set out a few spoons and bowls so she could ladle the stew in when she was ready. It was quieter than their pipe adventure, but he didn’t mind the silent camaraderie building between the two of them. Cisa was far more capable than Sephanir seemed to give her credit for, but Telasorin kept his thoughts to himself.

He sat down at the table, fully prepared to eat with Cisa until she picked one of the other bowls up. When she said she would return, he nodded before he blew on his initial bite. She’d managed to boil the chicken well enough, and with the addition of rosemary and some other herbs, it didn’t taste as bad as before. He smiled as he chewed, tapping the side of his bowl and watching the water swirl into a whirlpool.

-

Sephanir’s call to allow Cisa to open the door was little more than a quiet huff of words, but he made his point. Normally, the portal led directly into his room, but with Telasorin’s presence, he had closed it off for the time being. When the Water Wizard was gone from his home, he would reopen it to Cisa, who was one of the few who had the privilege to enter his room. Now, however, it seemed like he wanted little to do with any living thing at his castle.

Once more, he’d been sitting at his podium, but he was not holding onto the quill as he normally did. In fact, he’d been staring at a fresh, blank page up until Cisa knocked. He’d stood, allowed her to enter, and now faced his map with his back to her. He heard her shuffle to the table and noted the wooden clink as she set the bowl down. She stuttered, a normal occurrence for her, but he’d grown to ignore it. “Thank you,” he said, but he did not face her. When she didn’t immediately leave, he remained silent for a few seconds while she worked up the courage to say what was on her mind.

And she had the audacity to tell him that he was treating Telasorin poorly.

The words hung in the air, and Sephanir stood stiller than a statue. He did not answer right away, not until he’d found the correct words. “Perhaps I would act more civilly toward him – as you put it – if he did not make a point to do something I asked him not to.” Finally, his head moved, but he only gave her a sidelong glance with his left eye, and her form was little more than a bright shadow to him. “Why did you refuse to tell me you could not read? Am I so untrustworthy with that sort of information? I could have taught you.” It seemed wrong to drop it on her that he knew her deep secret, but she had no right to tell him that he was being rude when he knew Telasorin was still flirting with Cisa, despite his every command not to do so.

• Love