MAFIA (Out of Game)

Okay so it looks like we going to be staying at seven people. Allow me a little bit of time here (which will feel like no time at all because by the time this is posted I should already be done) to prune the list.

Detective: The detective may visit one person every night. They learn the faction--town, mafia, or neutral--of the person they visit.
Doctor: The doctor may protect one person from being killed every night. They have two self-heals.
Lookout: The lookout may visit one person each night. They will see who visits that person. The Lookout has a night chat with the Tracker.
Tracker: The tracker may visit one person each night and see who that person visits. The Tracker has a night chat with the Lookout.
Witch-Doctor: The witch doctor has access to three potions. A potion of Life, A potion of Death, and a Potion of nonsense. One potion can be used as a night action, and only one per night. Once a potion has been used it is gone. The potion of life will protect the target from night kills. The potion of death will kill the target. The potion of nonsense will give the target a challenge for the following day phase, if the target succeeds they will be rewarded.
Mafioso: Mafia-aligned. The mafioso is tasked with killing the Godfather's target. The mafioso wins if all of the town dies.
Consigiliere: As a night action, the Consigiliere will target one player and learn the role of that player.

If you have any comments or concerns with his list, please make them now. I did a few things that I think might be a little controversial so if you guys really don't like them please let me know and I will fix it. If no concerns are raised I will try to get the Role-PMs and starting the game tomorrow once I get home from work.

@neobendium
@The_J
@Kiilgore
@LuckycoolHawk9
@Elle Joyner
@Dipper
@CrystalTears

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone (who appears to be outside this game) has raised a concern that the town side is too powerful. I can see a few options to go from here and was wondering about your opinions.

1. Continue as stated, if it doesn't work well, then it doesn't work well but at least there's a game.
2. Replace the Lookout, Tracker or possible other roles with with vanilla townies
3. Replace Consig with Godfather, doctor with medium.

Another concern that was raised that this the current wording of the roles it sounds like the Mafiasco can't kill because they don't have a godfather. So just to clarify, the mafiasco will be able to choose the target. If the mafiaso dies then the Consig will choose the targets and make the kill as well.

I'm going to head to work but when I get back and if no one from inside this game has raised a balancing issue then I will proceed as planned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see a reason to replace Maf with GF since they have the same job. Replacing doc with med might balance things out, though. Tracker ought to be replaced though since we've already got a lookout.

If I add another mafia the game would become 3 maf v 4 townies. So after one night kill the mafia would have half the population of the town. So I guess we'll go with a vanilla townie??

Anyways I don't want to delay this game any further so after work I will get a new list up and get night 1 started.

Reactions: noodle
So I read up on mafia roles online so I think imma gonna add the miller instead. The Miller will be town alined but the cop will see them as mafia alined.

I'd rather have that than vanilla townie. I don't want anyone getting stuck with no role lol esp. if it's just ONE person. That would seriously suck.

Okay this is the newest list. I shall begin working on the PMs now. Night 1 will begin once you have received your PM.

Detective: The detective may visit one person every night. They learn the faction--town, mafia, or neutral--of the person they visit.
Medium: The medium can communicate with the dead. They will be part of the dead chat. While they can always see the dead chat, they are only allowed to talk to the dead at night. After they die, they will be able to send one message. They may choose who to send this message to at any time. The message will be sent at night.
Lookout: The lookout may visit one person each night. They will see who visits that person.
Miller The miller is town alined, however when investigated the detective will be given a guilty verdict.
Witch-Doctor: The witch doctor has access to three potions. A potion of Life, A potion of Death, and a Potion of nonsense. One potion can be used as a night action, and only one per night. Once a potion has been used it is gone. The potion of life will protect the target from night kills. The potion of death will kill the target. The potion of nonsense will give the target a challenge for the following day phase, if the target succeeds they will be rewarded.
Mafioso: Mafia-aligned. The mafioso will use their night action to kill a target. The mafioso wins if all of the town dies.
Consigiliere: As a night action, the Consigiliere will target one player and learn the role of that player.

• Love
Reactions: Dipper and noodle
Keep in mind that if you do call cat mean names, I will come to your house and slap you.

With a knife.

In the chest.

*hugs cat*

I got a role this time OwO

I can do something and it's terrifying and a lot of responsibility xD

Hey guys I realised I forgot to set a deadline. Also as it turns out I will be out of town from Thursday after work to Sunday when I get back home. So I am going to make the deadline Sunday, when I get back home. Future nights will me shorter though, this is just an anomaly.

@neobendium
@The_J
@Kiilgore
@LuckycoolHawk9
@Elle Joyner
@Dipper
@CrystalTears

Also some people haven't sent a night action. If everyone sends a night action before the deadline I will do my best to get day 1 started from there. Also just to clarify, you guys can use your night action during night 1. If you are choosing to take no action I would also appreciate that noted in the role pm.

Reactions: Elle Joyner
We not using a separate thread?

Hey guys, im still out of town but all night actions have been submitted and I have a few minutes here so I will resolve night actions and try to get day 1 started.

Well that game was an interesting experiment. I hope you all had fun. I do have a couple of things to bring up here for discussion though.

I think that for a smaller game like that, giving the town two investigation roles proved too powerful. I admit I should have seen this coming, however from past discussion here people wanted to see how the consig, the lookout/watcher duo and the cop interact with each other. And I am happy that we did get to see some of that here. Next time though I don't think I will commit to a list until after I know how many people are wanting to play.

What did you guys think of the flavour for this game? I deviated a fair bit away from the normal so I hope it wan't to weird. Also I had built in a secret solution where everyone, except for me, would have won. But you guys didn't explore deep enough to scratch that, so I won't say much more on the matter for the rights of now. Anyways do you guys prefer the abnormal story or would do you guys prefer the normal "You are in a town that's having issues" story. I think it might be fun to alternate back and forth.

Oh and I saw a little bit of confusion on how the mafia death works. You see in my mind that death action belongs to the mafia faction and is preformed by any member of the faction. Its just when a Mafioso is alive the action defaults to them. Maybe this comes from how I started with mafia by playing the real-life party game where we never really payed attention to which mafia member committed the killing. But if you guys see it a different and/or better way go ahead an let me know about it.

Well that game was an interesting experiment. I hope you all had fun. I do have a couple of things to bring up here for discussion though.
I think that for a smaller game like that, giving the town two investigation roles proved too powerful. I admit I should have seen this coming, however from past discussion here people wanted to see how the consig, the lookout/watcher duo and the cop interact with each other. And I am happy that we did get to see some of that here. Next time though I don't think I will commit to a list until after I know how many people are wanting to play.
What did you guys think of the flavour for this game? I deviated a fair bit away from the normal so I hope it wan't to weird. Also I had built in a secret solution where everyone, except for me, would have won. But you guys didn't explore deep enough to scratch that, so I won't say much more on the matter for the rights of now. Anyways do you guys prefer the abnormal story or would do you guys prefer the normal "You are in a town that's having issues" story. I think it might be fun to alternate back and forth.
Oh and I saw a little bit of confusion on how the mafia death works. You see in my mind that death action belongs to the mafia faction and is preformed by any member of the faction. Its just when a Mafioso is alive the action defaults to them. Maybe this comes from how I started with mafia by playing the real-life party game where we never really payed attention to which mafia member committed the killing. But if you guys see it a different and/or better way go ahead an let me know about it.

I love the abnormal style. I do wonder if the idea for everyone to win is to rally against and try to hunt you down. Definitely will explore that next game.

Okay, notes- the lookout and detective duo were powerful, but we need to talk about something else here. The Witch-Doctor.

The Witch-Doctor actually had a ton of pull this game. With the fact that the witch-doctor essentially acts as a combination between the jester silly antics, the vigilante, a touch of Bodyguard and the doctor, it's a touch too much. I know town needs to be powerful, but with the medium, lookout and detective along with the witch-doctor, it was too much. Let me point something out- if the Witch-Doctor was just a normal doctor esque character, Elle would have been protected and there still could have been some killing. Singlehandly, the lookout and Witch-Doctor combo led the town to victory. That being said, the Witch-Doctor has no checks. Zero. If they protect someone, no cost. If they killed someone, no cost- with Vigilante, if they shoot a town member, they feel guilty and kill themselves. If they issue a challenge, no cost. The thing that makes Mafia balanced is the fact that information can be mangled. It was indeed dumb luck Elle found me visiting, especially with two visting town roles ( Detective and Witch-Doctor). Also, I'm going to be honest, Miller kind of just acts as normal townie a lot since they can't do anything. Otherwise, nothing really to complain about.

Also, did the math. @Elle Joyner and @Dipper get 1.19 a piece with a penny difference.

Oh yeah, if we keep the abusurdist story, we do need a reason for people to come back from the dead or with different roles. ( It can range from extreme necromancy to clones. ;) ) @Canadian Cat