Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
masquerade-mask-banner-3.jpg
scriptina.regular.png

• In the year 1692 the infamous Salem Witch Trails took place in colonial America, staining the country in the centuries to come. Salem was meant to be a theocracy, a haven on earth to follow the word of God in every way a human could, until of course witchcraft infiltrated the Puritan society. Tituba, a Caribbean slave woman who had the unfortunate task of watching two young girls when their parents were busy, took it upon herself to teach these young girls tricks from her childhood. Little did Tituba know that these girls would turn her in for her little tricks, claiming witchcraft when they were questioned of doing witchcraft themselves. Because these young girls, and a handful more, were witches themselves. They had all been touched by the land, and to save themselves they threw Tituba and so many others under the bus. Over twenty men and women died in Salem simply because a small amount of young witches didn't know what they were, reveling in the power of being able to get away with anything simply if they pointed their little fingers at someone else that had less influence in their society.

Thirty-four years later Dorothy Goode, daughter of Sarah Goode who was one of the first women to hang for witchcraft, founded an academy to help young people realize what powers they held inside themselves and what to do when the powers become overwhelming. Dorothy never wanted something like Salem to happen again, as it cost the life of her mother and infant sister, even putting her in the position of death at a mere four years old. Her late husband, James, was a scholar who believed in wild theories of all sorts and loved the idea of building his own academy so that he could study these willing-to-be taught witches. Unfortunately, James didn't get to conduct the study he so longed for, as he died shortly after the last tiles of the grand academy were finished. As a woman during this time it was incredibly hard to keep her school afloat and be the sole instructor for the whole place. But as the years progressed students started to come in more frequently, and some students even stayed to help those who came after them. Dorothy was proud of what she had started and ran as the headmistress until her death. The academy was officially christened "Dorcas Academy" after its founder.

The masks came about a hundred years later, after a headmaster by the name of Lawrence Francis took it upon himself to try to protect the identities of his students in a way that didn't alarm students to what may be happening outside. For an organization had been hunting down witches across the country, mainly those who had mastered their skills from Dorcas itself. Francis knew it was only a matter of time before the organization stormed their doors, so the masks were the first line of defense. If no one knew what each other looked like, there was a better chance of survival in the outside world. Knowing someone's name and believing they are guilty of being a witch is one thing, but seeing them use magic, see their face deep in concentration, is another thing all together. The masks were a hit among the students, a s sense of mystery and elegance added to their already magical life. The organization seemed to fall out of existence as quickly as it came, but Francis doubted he had really saved a school full of students just by asking them to put a mask on every morning.

Now the year is 2018 and the academy is the most active it has ever been, the touch of the earth heavy with this generation of witches. Headmistress Solona Osper is a stern middle-aged woman who expects students to take their training and educational progress as serious as she does, even though they never do. Dorcas Academy has evolved to be a constant live-in haven, one that teaches both the everyday school standards and the standards of being able to live a regular life while secretly a witch. Because even though the school is centuries old, it is still not safe for witches to reveal who they truly are to most people. Additions to accommodate the increasing number of students have been added over the years, along with other buildings needed to be considered a school by state standards. The masks, however, have stayed throughout the years. It's more of a tradition than a protection method anymore, but it a requirement for every teacher and student to have a mask on before they step foot onto the grounds. Masks are a way to express students in a way that is different than any other school, a way to express both their connection to their magic and their souls. Because of this over the years the students have begun to fondly call Dorcas Academy "the Masquerade Academy."

• We will be playing as the current generation of witches in the process of graduating from the Academy. It will be basically a private academy set in modern day Massachusetts, the only change being the witch aspect. Both male and female characters will be referred to witches, as it is being used as a gender-neutral term. Solona and all other teachers will be played by me, so we can focus instead on our character-building relationships that go past the superficial depth of a person's facial features. Once this starts going I do have an arc prepared with witch hunters, but I would like our characters to get to know each other first. So, uh, hope that's okay <3

• 1. All Iwaku rules apply.
    2. As the GM I have every right to turn your character away or ask you to make changes, which you can either follow to be accepted into the roleplay or politely decline to be a part of the roleplay. If you break the rules I will either call you out on it, so you can change your actions, or I will ask you to leave the thread all together.
    3. Do not ask if I can add certain powers or restrict certain aspects just to fit you or your character needs, as I have put every power into place because I think it fits what I am going for in the roleplay.
    4. I do not require even genders, but if you see fifteen ladies and three guys, please make a guy to even it out a bit. Same with powers, if you see a lot of people with the same affinity then please maybe think about making a character with aspects different from everyone else.
    5. A max of two characters can be made per roleplayer but making only a single character is fine. I would very much like that if you make two characters that they be different genders, but I'm not going to freak out if they aren't.
    6. I think a post every few days, every week at the very least, should be good enough for this roleplay. I will not install a posting order but do realize that a lot of people don't want to read just two character's interactions for three whole pages.
    7. This roleplay has only a little historical aspect to it, as it will be a more modern day private high school type of roleplay. So, do realize that our characters will be eighteen and under. If you have read everything please put "Durian" as your character's favorite fruit.
    8. A three paragraph minimum will be enforced, along with a five-sentence minimum per paragraph. That means at least fifteen sentences per post, which isn't exactly asking for a lot. I understand not everyone is the greatest writer, but please try to help each other out and provide some substance. Writing more than fifteen sentences is encouraged, as I'm not going to enforce a post length maximum.
    9. Swearing is okay if it is used in a way that isn't ridiculous. A lot of people cuss, it's just how the world is, but I'm not going to allow every other word to be a swear just because you want your character to be "hard." Romance is allowed, even encouraged, but if anything gets too tense you better fade to black immediately. I will not allow anything other than mild kissing, and sometimes even then people abuse that aspect.
    10. To add more if needed

• Witch powers are not all flying on broomsticks or dropping bird bones into a vat of boiling water, but more being touched by the earth itself. There are several different ways the earth can favor a person, and even witches with the same affinities do not always have the same abilities. No one has ever had more than one affinity, and no one has ever "lost" or changed affinities during their life.

Sun Affinity - Healer and Fire Abilities
    Those with the sun affinity have the ability to be healers and fire tamers. Witches that have been touched by the sun are at their best when the the sun soothes over them during the day, feeling the heat and breathing deeply. Healers usually have an easier time accumulating in the normal world than their fire brothers, as healers have the simple ability of curing minor harm that befalls those around them. It takes time, usually draining their strength for a bit, but healers usually enjoy helping those around them. The less tame fire half of the sun has some of the hardest training to overcome so they can graduate, as they must not become emotional enough to shoot fire out from their body. Fire abilities usually means being able to control flames, such as when a bonfire is burning, but those with irregular emotions or a strong affinity can produce flames all on their own.

Moon Affinity - Shadow and Blood Abilities
    The moon affinity is the rarest of all affinity, as she rarely turns her head to peer down at us humans down below. Those with the moon affinity are highly dangerous, and must be on a strict training regimen so that they can learn to not accidentally harm themselves or those around them. The shadow ability is the ability to draw the darkness from around oneself and make it do your bidding, to take the shadows from their resting points and ask them to almost come alive. Shadow abilities have been extremely helpful in the past in the form of security, as it can be a mere flick of a hand of someone with the shadow ability to restrain people wondering the grounds or sneaking in late at night. The shadows are more of an imprisonment method than anything, as the shadows cannot actually harm a person like we can as flesh and blood. The blood ability, however, is another story. Those with the blood ability have been known to drain the life out of someone just by looking at them if they are strong enough. They feel the pulse of life around them, and stop that pulse at a moment's notice if it so pleases them. The Blood ability is the rarest ability of all, only a handful of students who have come to Dorcas have ever had such a power.

Wind Affinity - Storm and Air
    Storm and wind go hand-in-hand, to air sisters that are nothing short of twins. Storm can call upon the rains to do her bidding, lighting and thunder dance just at the edge of her finger tips. Air can summon dust storms and tornadoes with a wiggle of a brow, just as dangerous as her wind affinity sister. But most students do not have the power to call upon such dangerous weather abilities, as only very few have been able to call more than a gust of wind or a sad rain cloud up above their heads. Those with the air affinity are usually pretty tame, and their training merely includes deep meditation and practicing their wind gusts.

Sea Affinity - Water and Ice
    Water and ice are two sides of the same coin, but couldn't be more different from each other. Water ability people are joyful and enjoy teasing, causing great waves of water to splash over their friends and dance on top of the water's surface just to prove a point. Ice on the other is cold, about as cold as the ice they control. Their feelings have been dulled so that they can handle the harsh coldness that they contain inside of them, as it is just waiting underneath the surface to send a cold shiver of frost down someone's back that looks at them the wrong way. Water and Ice usually have very long training periods, simply because of how much control they need in the outside world to not allow others to get a clue as to what they may be hiding.

Earth Affinity - Animals and Plants
    The earth affinity is everything to do with what mother nature has provided, the life that she has given us and our way of giving back to her. Animal abilities allow people to sooth wounded animals, or even calm down great big beasts in a way that can only be seen as magic. Plant abilities provide the most bountiful harvests and the most gorgeous gardens, allowing others to stop and appreciate just what nature has been giving to us for so long. Those with the Earth Affinity are particularly calm people, but often find they enjoy the solitude of a forest or the peacefulness of an animal by their side rather than those who do not appreciate what has been given to them.

Soul Affinity - Grace and Charisma
    The soul affinity is an affinity that is often hard to see, as the abilities help out a person's natural charm instead of giving them something new to control all together. Those with the grace afinity have a knack for all things graceful: dancing, the arts, even just walking from point a to point b. They are a lovely people that breeze through everything, everyone's eyes always on them whether they wanted to look their way or not. The Charisma ability is more of a persuasion ability if anything, as they are a group of smooth-talkers that seem to get whatever they want no matter the price. With just a wink and a smile those with the charisma ability could have people bend at the knee just to please them. As such it is often hard to find people who truly like those with the soul affinity, and aren't just endued by their charms.

• Dorcas adheres to a strict code of conduct, which every student must agree to before being admitted to the academy.
    1. Your mask must never come off when you are around other students or faculty members, the mask may only be removed if you are alone in the confines of your room with the door locked behind you.
    2. Using your powers outside of training is forbidden, no matter what. There is a time a place to use your powers, and outside with others is clearly not the time.
    3. All students must wear the school uniform during weekdays, only on weekends are students allowed to wear clothing other than their uniforms.
    4. Treat all faculty with respect, there is a zero tolerance for students who do not behave.
    5. There is no sneaking off the grounds to go have some "fun" in the normal world, if you leave the grounds on your own volition you will not be allowed to return.

Basically, students are not allowed to have their masks off unless they're alone in their room blah blah blah Obviously students have taken their masks off in the past, but our characters should be wary of taking their masks off in front of just anyone. IF YOUR STUDENT HAS THE MOON AFFINITY THEN PROBABLY ONLY USE YOUR POWER FOR STORY PURPOSES AND DON'T GO TOUCHING PEOPLE'S CHARACTERS TO KILL THEM OFF OR MAKING SHADOWS SPAWN TO MAKE THEM CRAZY. People probably break the uniform code all the time, it's just weekends are when students are supposed to wear their common clothing. Most of faculty will be pretty chill, they aren't gonna care if you sass them a little bit. Solona on the other hand is a different story, she is a hardcore rule follower. Yeah, try not to have your characters sneak off into surrounding towns for fun, it won't be fun for everyone else left behind. I'll make up a plan for all of our characters to go somewhere if everyone wants, but no leaving people behind so some characters can go do something else.

Masks should be able to cover ones nose and eye area, with holes obviously made for seeing. The mask may not be large enough that it covers the mouth and chin region, but it may go up and cover one's forehead if they would like. Students are allowed to buy their own masks before admittance, as long as they follow the guidelines, or they will be sent a copy of the Dorcas mask that was worn when Lawrence Francis was Headmaster. Embellishments such as glitter and feathers are allowed, in moderation.
    I'm going to provide some links to unreasonable and reasonable masks, just so you have an idea. Also, DO NOT COME TO THE ACADEMY DAY ONE AND BE LIKE "OOPS DIDN'T TIE MY MASK ON TIGHT ENOUGH" AND HAVE IT FALL OFF IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOMETHING SCANDALOUS LIKE THIS HAPPEN PM ME AND WE CAN MAYBE TALK IT OUT.
    Good Masks: [
    one] [two] [three] (Feel free to use any of these as long as no one else has already snagged them)
    Bad Masks: [
    one] [two] [three] [four]

• Everyone adheres to this schedule, only electives and clubs can be chosen.
    8:00 - English
    8:45 - Maths
    9:30 - Science
    10:15 - Elective One
    11:00 - Lunch
    12:00 - Training
    1:15 - History
    2:00 - Elective Two
    2:45 - End of Day/Club Activities

Elective Options:
    Fine Arts
    Ceramics
    Foreign Language of your Choosing
    Creative Writing
    Drama
    Cooking

Club Options:
    Basketball
    Archery
    Chess
    Dance
    Journalism
    Writing
    Gardening

• Sun:
    1. male (Arayvian)

Moon:
    1. female (Dark Disney)
    2. male (MiharuAya)

Air:
    1. male (MiharuAya)

Sea:
    1. male (Dark Disney)

Earth:
    1. male (colorprincess)
    2. female (Hufflepug)

Soul:
    1. female (Arayvian)
    2. female (DANAsaur)

• Age does not matter when picking room numbers. Each student has their own room, but most share a bathroom with one other student. So, if you pick room 1 your bathroom-mate will be in room 2. I can add more rooms, this is just for now. If you see someone with room 101, don't pick it. If you want to be sharing a bathroom with that character, obviously pick room 102. If there are characters already in rooms 101 and 102, pick a number 103 through 124 friend.

Girls - Rooms 101 through rooms 124
    Boys - Rooms 201 through rooms 224

• [Realistic Photo Here]
    General
    Name:
    Nickname:
    Birthdate:
    Sexuality:
    Room Number:

Appearance
    Height:
    Weight:
    Piercings/Tattoos:
    Mask:
    Weekend Attire:
    Brief Overall Description:

Powers
    Affinity:
    Ability:
    Affinity Level: (Low or High. It only means how powerful you are, it isn't that important)
    Control Level: (Low, Medium, High. How good you are at controlling yourself, those with high levels are close to graduating)
    How Many Years Have You Been at Dorcas?: (1-5)
    Electives: (Pick two)
    Clubs: (Can leave blank, up to three)

Inside
    Personaility:
    Favorite Fruit:
    Habits:
    Hobbies:
    Friends: (can leave blank)
    Enemies: (can leave blank)

History
    Homeland: (Does not have to be inside the United States)
    Languages Known:
    Family:
    Brief Background:
    Other:

Last edited:
I am interested definitely may I take moon affinity

Thank you for your interest! There are no limits on who can be what, so of course you can claim a moon affinity slot! Do keep in mind that both moon abilities will be more story purposeful than roleplay purposeful, since they are a bit stronger than some of the others.

Thank you for your interest! There are no limits on who can be what, so of course you can claim a moon affinity slot! Do keep in mind that both moon abilities will be more story purposeful than roleplay purposeful, since they are a bit stronger than some of the others.
oohh sweet got it okay I will make a male sea and female moon affinity than sweet I am so in will work on them and wait for actual thread

Reactions: cry
Hi, could I reserve a male moon and male wind affinity spots?

This looks like a gorgeous roleplay!! Count me in. I'd love to have a male with Earth affinity, if that's alright??

Hi, could I reserve a male moon and male wind affinity spots?
Of course, I'll put you down.
This looks like a gorgeous roleplay!! Count me in. I'd love to have a male with Earth affinity, if that's alright??
Thank you friend! It'll be lovely to have you here <3

I will probably make up the sign-up thread either later this week or the weekend, whenever I have the time to properly dedicate to the thread.

I’d love to be apart of this, I’ll take a female with soul affinity and a male with sun affinity.

May I please have female with an earth affinity?

Hello! Can I join and make a female character with soul affinity? ^^

cs's are done dear we await your approval @Ioun