[ Kirigakure | The Jirou Authority ]
[ Jirou Kanbe | Roju of the Jirian Authority ]
[ A Bad Situation Turning Worse ]

Looking over the reports, Jirou's eyebrows furrowed. He managed to convince the great clans to give him more time, in order to investigate matters, the vassals, without warning. And the Shadows still decided to strike again at the clans, likely for their lack of compliance to drop their claims over the vassals. As if things weren't bad enough already, they essentially just poked three giant bears and were insistent on awakening them. Then, the vassals themselves were asking him to calm things down.

If he had things his way, then he would've be afforded time to investigate the shadows. But clearly, the shadows were an impatient bunch, and wanted results to be in their favour, and immediately, not understand the risk they were putting the vassals in. And he knew well that all three great clans were ready to just march on the vassals and not bring them to their knees, but rather bury them six feet under.

Looking over his orders to his men, Jirou handed the papers to the Immortal Silver captain that was waiting in his room "Tell the men, no holding back. The vassals want it to be done with, and so do it. But the vassals will understand that as long as they were not proven innocent, then they are as guilty as the shadows that are acting on their behalf. Give no warning to the authorities there, get answers from anyone who you suspect. Investigate everything thoroughly. You don't come back until you have solid proof answers." He told the captain, who proceeded to salute, before leaving the room.

Turning to look at the wall of his office, Jirou stood up and just glanced at the map hanging there. There were more severe options he could pursue, but it was too soon to jump to extreme measures. First, he wanted to see if he could get answers this way. And if the Great Clans would still afford him the time he had asked of them after what had happened.

[ A Team 8 training | The 3rd Imperial Division's encampment, Sevudia ]
[ A collab between @Enigmatic_Entity , @Nim , @Autumn Song , @Oblivion666 and @Lesli ]

[ With the newest addition, Homura Unkei, being introduced to the respective units he is in, Aiko decides to organise a good ol' team training. It becomes clear that some members have progressed since they last were put up to some of Aiko's tests. But some surprises are laying in wait for the participants of Aiko's training. ]

[ Part 2 ]
~ Previous Part! ~

When the choices were laid out for what the three wished, with majority being him sparring against Hylli so they had more of a chance to see how experienced combatants fought he sighed and rubbed his head. Aiko did indeed get the chance one way or another too see his Obsidian. Switching places with Kuni and Homura he gave a soft smile to Hylli. "Well time too see if you can kick my ass." Kazumo said before darting towards the Hyuzu weaving handseals, with the last one forming Black Obsidian over his body.

"Heh, you are welcome." Hylli replied in return to Homura, as he even gave her a bow. Before Hylli could return any gesture of respect back, it dawned on her that the spar against Kazumo became a reality.
Focusing her attention on Kazumo, a pang of unrest shot through her body. Fighting Kuni and Homura wasn't that terrifying. But she had witnessed what Kazumo had done to the likes of Orun.

Not responding to Kazumo's words, Hylli raised her hands while adopting a more defensive position. A soft sound emitted from her gloves, a grey liquid rapidly starting to cover her hands and forearms.

Approaching her and seeing the grey liquid cover her hands and forearms, he would have a smile behind the black mask that covered his face. He had a few guesses about what she had planned but Hylli was one to think past certain things. So coming to a halt he would stare before weaving a few seals and a tap of his foot on the floor did it all. Only he did not sink into the ground, around them rose and formed a long tunnel around the two, cutting off the light. Which the black encased Scydling all but vanished into the darkness.

Readying herself, Hylli's eyes widened when Kazumo halted. Her gaze flashed to the surrounding changing rapidly, forming a tunnel around her.
"Shit."
The word escaped her lips softly as she noticed that Kazumo vanished in the darkness. Looking around herself, she didn't want to admit to herself what she felt. The cold beads of sweat forming on her skin, gently sliding down were ignored as she tried to reason what he was going to do. The rapid change had thrown a wrench in her plan and it frustrated her enough that it became visible on her features.

While Hylli stayed in the darkness and waited for whatever Kazumo might do. It seemingly never came, whether this was a trick or if he was playing around with her. Then came the sounds of piercing right behind her. Not on her or to her but directly behind her. At the end of the other side of the tunnel from infront of her a figure would appear.
"Do you surrender Hylli? Yes or no. You have three seconds to answer." Was all that would be asked from Kazumo at the far end of the tunnel.

Hylli's breath stoked as she heard the distinct sound of something moving behind her. Already half turning, Kazumo's voice resonating from the other side made her freeze. The confusion and doubt rapidly became overwhelmed by a cold anger, surfacing as she realised that her previous plan was nothing but reduced to nothingness.
"Surrender?" The voice radiating the contempt that Hylli already had for the mere suggestion. "Fuck no."
There would be a hint of soft shimmering, the only warning before a powerful explosion followed - sending sharp shards of debris and metal across the tunnel.

After she sent her attack down the tunnel towards Kazumo after her defiance. He would tilt his head. She exploded herself? Interesting technique. She wasn't suicidal by any means so he doubted she was actually dead. This attack was another story however. Wasn't dead, nor could she escape through the back without being super careful. Interesting indeed. He would however weave three signs before spewing water himself right down the tunnel. Stopping some debris, but not hindering all the metal as it flew out smacking into the chest of Kazumo who recoiled back. Only the metal bounced off as a large cracked seemed to be forming in the middle of his chest.

Trying to calm herself down, Hylli thought about the various options she had. Her right hand gripped the handle of two knives, silently her body rising out of the body of gummified water. Aiming at the back of Kazumo, Hylli knew that genjutsu would be a lost cause as he had more experience and techniques than she had in that field.
A soft blue hue appeared around the knives, only starting to hiss due to the density of the chakra imbued with the steel. Throwing the weapons, Hylli would climb out of the water as she tried to catch her breath - and halt her heart from skipping beats.

Kazumo's head would turn with a smile as the two knives found their way into the crack before halting in place there. "Smart. Using the previous fight for an advantage. Indeed you've grown." Kazumo would seemingly state before his skin would turn black and stop moving, seemingly crumbling into chunks on the ground before her. Meanwhile Kazumo would be sitting on top of the tunnel looking down and waving.
"So wish to surrender yet? Seem a little… nervous if you ask me."

Hylli's features changed from a glare to a disarming smile. "I didn't plan for it. I actually meant to use this to surprise and end the fight if those two were going for more." The Hyuzu admitted as she seemed to ease up. "Besides," raising her right hand, Hylli snapped her right hand fingers. "I am not going to make it easy."

A soft bell rang, only for Kazumo, as it would induce paralysis and create multiple images of Hylli smiling at him.
"Want to surrender?" She asked back, clearly mocking him in return as she snapped her fingers again, allowing another wave of painful paralysis to reach him.

Kazumo simply smiled only for it to fade as he suddenly had an intense pain in his head as he covered his ears as he witnessed multiple images of Hylli smiling at him, instead asking him if he wished to surrender. Staring at her as another hit of paralysis hit him, tensing his muscles.
"I do indeed!" Kazumo said, uncovering his ears looking down at her. "Is what I would say if you hadn't paused back at the tunnel." Kazumo said as he looked at her before jumping down.
"Think about it Hylli, when you paused in that dark tunnel. What did you. Allow me to do? You are smart, I'm sure Aiko taught you the basics on how to break out of them right?"

For a moment, Hylli felt like she was in control. Using the Bell Ring technique to keep Kazumo under control, the mere second that he seemed to be unfazed was enough to alert her. Her nose bridge wrinkled as her disdain became visible at her possible mistake.
"Of course." A heavy sigh flowed from her lips afterwards as she glanced around. The ring would impact him if he wasn't in any kind of solid cover, which meant…
Glancing at the likely Genjutsu clone, Hylli didn't make any attempt to attack or cast another technique.
"I think you need to stop treating this like it is a class." Her tone genuinely annoyed, "Stop playing around."

"Sorry. I teach those I like. You've had flawless execution though on just about everything. Blunder's can happen though, but yes I'm sure you figured it out so I ask again." The genjutsu clone would state before pointing down at the large black circle below both of them.
"Surrender." This time the tone came in a more demanding way, as the clone simply stared at Hylli.

Her hands clenched into fists, slightly trembling, as she realised the situation she was in. Her mind raced through the possible options and plans that she could attempt. Only for the scene of Orun being impaled with ease and fast on obsidian thorns, without any substantial decrease in their speed - meaning that their sharpness couldn't be underestimated.
Narrowing her eyes as she glared at the Kazumo visible, her lips parted but it was clear that the word was stuck in her throat.
Raising her hands slowly, Hylli averted her gaze.
"Have it your way, damn coward," the words giving away her frustration, only for her hands to shoot towards each other as she attempted to finish the few signs.

A look of disappointment appeared on the clones face as Hylli's hands shot to each other. Suddenly the black circle would vanish as did the clone. Rising from the ground in front of her he had his hand raised. "I surrender." Kazumo said as he began walking towards the others.

Hylli's eyes widened, just when she finished. A small puff of smoke appeared, a soft thud of metal ringing as one of her knives swapped places with her. Appearing on the new spot, Hylli stared blankly at Kazumo walking back to the others. She wanted to say something and then evidently continue. Only to have her shoulders to slump down and also walk back to the others.

Aiko simply observed how the spar went. Granted, a part of it was obstructed by Kazumo's earth tunnel technique. But then started to heat up as the two tested each other's waters more. Only for Kazumo to surrender, causing Aiko to click her tongue - the only betrayal of her thoughts. Once Kazumo and Hylli had joined them, Aiko gestured to Kuni and Homura to speak up.
"Before I will give my piece of mind, you two can say what you saw and thought."

It was a bit hard to follow parts of the battle due to the earth tunnel Kazumo had conjured and the darkness that came from it, but Kuni still did the best she could. When Kazumo surrendered, Kuni raised her eyebrows a bit. When Aiko gave Homura and her the chance to speak first, Kuni turned to look at Hylli first.
"Well, it was clever to use existing elements that were already there from the spar that came before. But if I had to say, it felt as though he was managing to get on your nerves and affect your strategies like that." Kuni then turned her gaze to Kazumo "Even if you showed your obsidian release, it felt like you didn't take it entirely seriously. Giving those types of remarks mid-spar? I understand you taught her, but each time you did, it felt like you decided to suddenly hold her hand for a brief moment while the two of you were facing each other." She told him.

"Other than those remarks, I was impressed by the techniques and each attempt at getting the other to yield. But I definitely was a bit confused on what made you surrender like that. Felt like you could've still had a number of ways to turn things around, from the different techniques you showcased alone." Kuni finished speaking, before looking at Homura, wondering what he had to say.

He struggled to follow the fight because a portion of it took place under a tunnel, from what he saw he was fairly impressed. Kazumo seemed to be superior in skill, and he was clearly talented specifically with his rare obsidian release - something Homura would eventually want to look into more when back home with access to research books. But it was obvious Hylli was proficient herself, and with due time she'd be just as scary in talent.

After Kuni spoke he nodded in agreement, "I agree with Kuni. From what I was able to see, both of you are skilled in your own abilities, with Kazumo taking an edge in both experience and rare abilities. Hylli's speed between this sparring situation and the one against us caught me by surprise by far."

"But,"
He took a lot of time to think clearly about what he would say next, "Kazumo, as Kuni stated, treated this too much like a lesson. If this were a life or death situation, with the way he seemed to be handling everything, I think he would've came out on top of this exchange. He used his skillset to his advantage, considering he's covered in obsidian I reckon it would have been hard to see him inside the tunnel he crafted - forcing Hylli to craft some form of explosion in due part risking her own life. Either way, tremendous performance from the both of you if I do say so myself."

A silence haunted the place as Homura finished his review. Aiko's gaze was fixated on Kazumo, still unmoving from the even expression. Slowly, she twisted her head slightly to throw a sideways look at Kuni, who had spoken first.
"I agree. It was quite clever to utilize existing elements. It also showed that your solution wouldn't have worked. Then again, I am probably the only one here who knew that Hylli dabbled in water release. However, you state that her emotions were getting to her. I disagree. There was no foolish charging and techniques that blew up in her face. Sounding angry isn't equal to rushing in like a bull." A soft smile crossed Aiko's lips. "Besides, it is not too abnormal for someone in a heated fight or situation to feel some emotion."
Gesturing to Homura, as Aiko's gaze once more settled on Kazumo, she spoke up. "It is true that this didn't seem like a proper spar. There is a time where you can learn and teach your pupils something. This," now the disappointment became visible as Aiko's left eyebrow perked up. "Wasn't the time. I actually understand why you surrendered. But you have actually failed."

The harsh verdict was given without actual attention to those around them. "Your reasoning isn't entirely without justice. But you have robbed your pupil of the potential to show you how much she has grown. So far, you were forced to stay somewhat defensive. A huge difference from the first time that you two sparred. And you treated it like a lesson."
The painful silence lasted for a mere second as the corner of her lips tugged downwards, the words conveying her thoughts not necessary. Yet…
"I am disappointed."

Turning to Hylli, Aiko seemed to consider something. "We will talk later, that is all I have to say to you now."
Raising her hands slightly, Aiko clapped them as her tone shifted to a more cheerful one. "Good! Now that you guys have seen some action, it is obviously time for some training. Or well, some more focused training." Aiko explained as she gestured to them to stand in a line. Once she had managed to organize them like she wanted, a nod followed that seemed to radiate Aiko's sudden cheerful mood.
"I suppose it is time that I have some fun now. I assume you all are known with this concept," pulling a pair of small bells from a pocket, Aiko flashed a smile. "The goal is quite simple. You all have exactly two minutes to come up with a plan. We will then discuss how viable that plan is. Tactical insight and cooperation are key here. However," using her free hand, Aiko pointed at Kazumo. "You aren't allowed to use any genjutsu or speak of my ability of genjutsu. You," her index pointed afterwards to Hylli, "aren't allowed to use your summoning. Homura," Aiko's smile grew, "in this scenario? Actually, seeing how you have done? You aren't hampered. Ah, Kuni." Lowering her index, Aiko flashed another smile towards the Amegakure native. "Anything but earth release. Discuss away."

Kazumo stood in silence as Homura and Kuni would grade what they seen, with Kazumo remaining for the most part expressionless, until it came to Aiko's turn to grade what she saw. With her more so disapproving of how he chose to not really take it that seriously going as far as to teach her during it. What hurt the most was her stating she was disappointed in him. He just bite his lip and kept his emotions under check, before she would line them up and tell them their next training. The bells. Kazumo's eyes stared at the two little metal balls before restrictions were placed on him in the form of no genjutsus allowed nor could he disclose her abilities. Hylli couldn't use her dragon and Kuni couldn't use earth ninjutsu.
He wasn't sure if this was just her way too see more Obsidian, mostly considering Hylli could just as easily disclose what she knows about Aiko. He had a hunch that's whom Hylli learned some of these new techniques from anyway. He however would just nod, but would keep his eyes on Aiko as he spoke. "As she said I can't tell you what she can do, I can however state that expect the plan to fail, also do not let her get out of your sight, nor hesitate." Already Kazumo was running new plans through his head, he wouldn't even be surprised that this was nothing more than a set up from her and this Aiko was nothing more than a clone.

The review of Kuni and Homura did little to impact Hylli. The Hyuzu had resorted to fold her arms out in front of her chest, her visage not even locked on whoever spoke. Yet, there was a clear absence of arrogance as she just seemed to ponder or consider something. Aiko's review gained some more attention of Hylli, only for a brief window of surprise visible on Hylli's facial features. Blinking twice rapidly, Hylli's lips parted slightly but then she opted to not question Lady Cho.
Hearing what the next exercise was and what kind of condition was placed on her, Hylli just nodded. Then Kazumo spoke up and Hylli felt like replying. But she then weighed words and decided to just focus on the exercise, rather than to let her emotions run her tongue.
"Still, better to try than to just do nothing," despite the spiteful phrasing, nothing in Hylli's tone hinting that she meant it like that, "We all know that Lady Cho is a genjutsu master. She knows what natures? Wind and Water. Hmm," now it only dawned on Hylli. What did she actually know of Aiko's specialities and fortes?
"She is also quite masterful in stealth. Last time I even saw her in action, if we can call it that, she took almost literally the piss on me and two other genin. Even with the use of earth, she knows how to use water release to still get to us."

Homura knew of this exercise all too well from the Academy, but the instructors there weren't as talented as Kazumo, and if his idea of Lady Cho were correct this was going to be a challenge. Kazumo's words seemed to strengthen his thoughts, whatever their master plan was, Lady Cho would most likely find a way to foil it. He rubbed his chin while listening closely to Hylli describe what she knew of Lady Cho's abilities and what they were to expect. Every time she mentioned one of her strengths he ruled one of his abilities out.

"If she's a master at genjutsu that means any kind of genjutsu I throw at her, she'd be able to see right through it," He paused for a moment and thought about how advanced Kazumo must be at it considering she negated him from utilizing it, "I specialize in fire. From my first conversation with Lady Cho, my sudden arrival here and being encamped so far from home didn't allow her to look into my file. We may be able to get an upper hand on her with that, unless she was able to deduce that herself when I used that technique with the Kunai."

"Not to underestimate her or anything, but Hylli,"
Homura cocked an eyebrow, "That ability you're able to use. With the Kunai. If the three of us distract her enough, whether it be through direct combat or anything else, do you think you can knock the bells away from her giving us a chance to pick it up or grab it?"

Hearing of the bell challenge presented to them, along with the restrictions, Kuni looked over at the others and seemed to ponder something. Kazumo presented a rather pessimistic view, Hylli and Homura both started to think over her skills and potential ideas. At Homura's suggestion of using his nature as a potential surprise, she glanced at him.
"Given she was out of combat and had time to think about it, I reckon she would figure out what nature you have. But if you have any other techniques, those can be used to our advantage. I've seen her once face my first sensei, who had explosive release, without her knowing of any of his techniques, and still managed to bring the fight to a draw."

Looking at Kazumo, she slightly nodded "Every moment she is out of view can be a chance for her to do anything. Genjutsu, vanish into the mist, spread out a poison gas. But, if we can create blindspots, then we could potentially turn things our way. She may be more wary, and know the skills of the three of us well, but she still can't see through walls, as one example." Kuni said, still thinking of Aiko's match against Eiji as the best example she saw of a proper match she took part in.
"She is also capable of holding out in a taijutsu fight very well. And she said you can't talk about her genjutsu ability, not her other capabilities. Any detail can mean the difference between a defeat ahead of time and a potential victory." Kuni's gaze moving from Kazumo to the rest.
"I think that at least one person needs to keep an eye on Aiko, while the others make their attempts. And if needed, we can always switch the people around." Kuni suggested her thoughts on it.

He continued staring at Aiko and knew that them discussing this was actually more damaging to them than it was to her. It was actually angering him to a point, he knew what she could do. Giving them two minutes to think of a plan was also giving her two minutes to do whatever she wished. He had no doubt in his mind this was just a clone, and Aiko was elsewhere, genjutsu was funny in that way. An Advanced genjutsu clone could easily fake her and those bells. The remarks from the others wasn't helping him think in the slightest either, mostly Hylli's comment. Everyone talking made it more difficult to think as he just bite his lip while staring at Aiko. Then came more remarks and more! His hand started clenching and unclenching as he took deep breaths in and out.
Why was being punished this time more….. infuriating? In fact, why was he even punished for holding back? This was training and yet for training he was being hindered? He only bite harder on his lip as his mind now began racing with more and more thoughts. He could feel his blood forming on his lip. Was he more upset over being punished for something he didn't understand fully, or was he upset that Aiko was risking her health right now of all times.

"Never said we weren't going to try, just to expect her to hinder any plans we make. Homura, it's indeed not a surprise you know Fire release but keep your other techniques on the downlow. Less you say the less she knows, other than that, that is actually a solid plan. Also yes I can't speak of her genjutsu ability which is basically the biggest red flag you all need right now. Sure I can speak of her water release, but so can Hylli. As for her wind release she seems to use that to help support her or her allies. Aiko is crafty, she can make that wind release hurt just as much as her water release. So if you want details Kuni, then I would say a major detail is we are more than likely creating a plan to hit a clone that could be normal, water, or even the genjutsu clone. Also if you've seen her fight your sensei then you are also well aware of what she can do."

Yeah his anger was starting to get the better of him, Aiko was certainly going to be even more mad now. Taking another deep breath in and out, he would still keep his eyes locked on Aiko before speaking again. "I suggest this as a plan, Homura you will be with me. Do not be afraid to use fire techniques that might hit even me, trust me on that. Hylli, I do recommend to use your knives to keep her busy and moving. More energy she expends the better. Kuni…." Kazumo started to say before realizing Aiko forbid Kuni from using her earth release. Was that the only release she knew? Shit more time wasting on what Kuni could do would only increase what Aiko could plan.
"Try to predict her movements and aim for those spots with your ninja tools. Obviously don't blow up my sensei. And if anything seems off about any of us, cause very minor pain. It's the quickest method to try and break a genjutsu if you're not experienced enough in knowing how to break them."

Hylli's eyebrow knitted a frown on her brow as she saw how Kazumo kept staring at Aiko. Paying attention to what was being said, Hylli wanted to oppose some points. Yet, she remained silent for a while as the others spoke up their minds.
"Wait," Hylli shot a confused look at her allies, "we are supposed to just present a plan. Not prepare to execute it," Hylli reminded them, hoping that would take some tension away. "We are even going to discuss it." The Hyuzu added as she decided to respond to some points.
"My technique with the knives can somewhat work, yeah. But I need sight or an idea where my target is at. Lady Cho is, however, one of those opponents my technique is going to fail at. She can hide in the mist and likely other water sources as she provided me a scroll to learn how to do that with a water's surface." Hylli answered as elaborated, "I do think we could go with a distraction. Lady Cho is amazing but she is only one person. The only issue that genjutsu is going to be a terrible option at first sight." Casually, Hylli raised a thumb and pointed at Kazumo. "Then again, that doesn't mean we have to scratch it. Master Scylding also is better at genjutsu and I wager he didn't foresee my bell ring genjutsu."
Lowering her hand, she threw a glance at Aiko.
"I can try to use my knives but I can't use them if someone goes in close range. However, I got some tricks I haven't yet shown with my metal release. I think it is maybe a better idea if Master Scylding provides back up and provides a guiding role. We want to acquire the bells but we are with four. We need to cooperate, she told us. Whereas she is by herself. She doesn't need to watch anybody's back and that means she can just throw everything she desires at us. Unlike us," Hylli further added to her answer.

[ Operation: Jirian Ducks | Team Asami ]
[ A collab between Team Asami. ]

[ Team Asami heads out to investigate the odd library that has been uncovered. The odd location and features that have been reported have piqued the interest of the Northern forces. As such, team Asami is assigned to perform an investigation. ]

Asami chewed on a dry piece of beef jerky. Her mood was as per usual not that best. But what had truly brought it down was the mere fact that she was told to work together with Jirians. The fact that they were allied to those skulking bastards was one insult that Asami barely could tolerate. To then work together with them was a slight on a whole different level.
"Damn rats," Asami mumbled as she shot a glance at the two present pupils underneath her leadership. "Alright, recap of what we are going to do." Asami said, after clearing her mouth.
Using the remainder of the beef jerky, Asami casually pointed at the dark entrance of the cave as various corpses of Rongese foot soldiers laid around the dark entry. "We are going to investigate what is going on there. With, of course," the annoyance in Asami's voice crystal clear, "that some Jirian team is going to require some hand holding. Just remember. Don't speak to them. Don't even acknowledge them and don't try to make friends. Last time that we even remotely tried to trust those slippery eels, they tried to do all kinds of sketchy things. Those Jirians aren't worth your trust or effort."
Frowning, Asami's tone became sharper. "Got that?"

Ottome had her thumbs behind her weapon belt. She had thrown a few curious looks at the ominous entrance. The sight of dead Rongese twisted her stomach but she wouldn't allow herself to show any weakness. Not with Asami being around and more so when Asami wasn't in a good mood. When the respective Sanosuke spoke up, Ottome nodded rapidly.
"Understood, Sanosuke-sensei," Ottome replied as she wondered what the Jirians would add to this mission. Hopefully, not worsening Asami's mood. Judging, however, by what Asami had said so far, Ottome doubted that the presence of some Jirians would improve it either.

Reyna picked at a piece of loose thread in her tunic as she listened to the jounin. She was nervous, but also excited to be back out on a mission. Her last training with Asami had been… different, to say the least, and Reyna was eager to prove herself. The corpses surrounding the dark entrance to the cave had caused her nerves to kick into overdrive, but Reyna forced herself to focus on something else to keep her mind from getting the better of her.

Glancing at her teammate, Reyna felt a small measure of relief to see that Ottome seemed to be at least somewhat calm and composed despite the scene in front of them. As Asami explained the situation, Reyna found her curiosity piqued to hear they would be working with the Jirians. She wasn't overly excited to be working with another team, especially one from a different country, but her natural curiosity made her wonder what they would be like. Asami's words quickly caused Reyna to refocus, however, as she realized the jounin clearly didn't hold a high opinion of their temporary comrades.

"I understand as well, Asami-Sensei," Reyna replied after Ottome. Pausing for a moment, the girl wanted to ask a question, but decided against it. She had learned enough during her time with Asami to know that the woman would share what she felt was important and nothing more.

"Good, then we can get headstart." Asami told them as she created a shadow clone. Gesturing to her pupils, Asami started to descend the hill. There was work to be done.

With leaving a shadow clone to 'welcome' the Jirians, Asami had already conducted an investigation on the corpses. One of the Rongese soldiers laid on his back as Asami's gloved index finger pointed at the man's eyes.
"There are various ways to discover how long and how exactly someone died. Without needing to get your hands dirty," she explained to her pupils. "See how the eyes are dried up? Signs like that can tell a lot about a corpse. How long it died. If it seemed a bit moisty, so to say, you could say that the corpse was fresh."
Crouched next to the corpse, Asami glanced at the stab wound. Her index finger trailed lower, to the man's abdomen area. A soft 'tch' escaped Asami as she shook her head lightly. "Something doesn't add up here. See how clean this cut is? It is done with a sharp instrument. A blade or something that entered, from here. You can see it from how the wound caves out, likely by the murder instrument being pulled out and shredding the skin and cloth. Odd is that it is done with such clean precision. As if they didn't fight back."

Asami's lips pursed as she stared at the wound, as if that would grant her answers. "This guy is dead for a while. But no sign of decomposing. The area isn't devoid of life. Which means that scavengers, fungus and what not should have a feast here." Asami lifted her head and peered at their surroundings. Slowly, she rises from her crouched stance. "This is odd." Muttering the words, she looked at the tracks with a certain caution and care, gesturing to her pupils to remain behind her.
"Pay close attention. Remember what I taught you before? That tracks can reveal a lot? See how some imprints are deep? That means that whoever left them pushed themselves to sprint or run. If they walked, the imprint would look less deep and rough. It is also appearing that some of them stood still and died on the spot. See?"
Pointing out the various signs, Asami would reveal how she figured out the information.

"This was no fight. It was quick and sudden. I only have one thing in mind, that I can try out. Aside from cutting the wounds and investigating it further. But we don't have much time before those idiots will arrive and probably profit from me doing the heavy lifting."
Crouching next to the Rongese with the best gear, Asami reasoned that it was an officer.
"Seems to have more quality stuff, eh? Probably sergeant or whatever. Still got murdered with the rest of his bunch." Bringing her hands together, Asami sped through a few hand signs as she then touched the man's cold neck. Her eyes narrowed and a soft hiss was produced. Retracting her hand from the corpse, she would flex her fingers before throwing a look at the girls.
"They are devoid of chakra. Odd. A corpse usually has traces left. Which would allow me to peer in the last remains of their mind, to perhaps see what they saw before being, well dead. I could try the rest but I reckon the result is the same. It is also quite abnormal that we aren't smelling anything. Corpses have a notorious reputation to follow, of being absolutely smelly. Yet, here we are. And they couldn't smell any better, bravo on these boys."

Straightening her back, Asami frowned as she stared down at the dead Rongese officer. "So we got some dead that aren't decomposing or being feasted upon by fauna or flora. They should have traces of chakra but are devoid of it."
Crossing her arms, clearly annoyed, Asami scoffed. "This is unsettling. I haven't seen this sort of shit before. And I have seen a lot of dark stuff," Asami said, although it appeared she was just thinking out loud. "I could place a nice welcoming surprise for those Jirian ducks. But instead," Asami threw a look into the dark entrance of the 'library'. "I think we should investigate the library. We are done here."
Taking out three torches, Asami handed two towards her students and would ignite them with a simple snap of her fingers as fire chakra provided sparks for the ignition.
"Don't try to burn anything down and stay close to me, girls." Asami said as she entered the darkness.

Holding out the torch, she drove the somber darkness away. Revealing shelves hacked in stone, in which rows of books and scrolls were laying in dust. Intrigued, Asami would pick a book and inspect it.
"Curious," she mumbled, loud enough for Reyna and Ottome to pick up. "Not a language that I can recognise. I see some signs of Taika and also vaguely Chonobi. But it might just be a mere coincidence."

So far, Ottome had followed and tried to memorize all that Asami had pointed out as explained. For all the scary, bad-assery that Asami had portrayed in their time together, Ottome did appreciate that the woman made her work transparent. Even if it did raise Ottome's neckhair. In a morbid way, it was intriguing to see how the Sanosuke investigated the site and the corpses.
Accepting one of the torches, Ottome nodded firmly when Asami instructed them to be cautious. She already considered doing a favor and ignited a spark with her lightning, only for Asami to do it with fire release.
"Oh," muttering underneath her breath, she had desired to actually be useful. Understanding, however, that her lack of knowledge or abilities would just hamper the investigation for now, she quietly followed Asami's lead.

The 'library', for as much as one could call it like that, was absurd for Ottome. Who decided to hide a library in a place like this? Having questions, Ottome opted to keep them to herself. Shining light, she looked around for any obvious signs of traps. The lack of those made her frown.
"Sanosuke-sensei, eh," Ottome felt her nerves growing, "I don't mean to bother you. But what if there is some sort of oddity being placed? You know," unable to put her thoughts properly in words didn't help to calm her nerves down, seeing who she was speaking to, "like some sort of genjutsu. Or weird techniques being placed to protect whatever is supposed to be important here?"

Despite her initial reservations around the corpses, once Asami started explaining the science behind what she was doing, Reyna found her nerves being replaced by a strange curiosity. She had learned about decomposition and such from her parents when she was younger. They had spent a lot of her youth educating her around medical techniques and the human body. Those lessons had primarily been focused around how to keep people alive rather than how to study them after they were dead, but nevertheless she had still picked up a few tidbits of knowledge around what happened to a body after death.

The jounin explained her findings and Reyna made a mental note of all the oddities, hoping she could research later to learn more about what could have caused the issues with these corpses. When they eventually moved away from the bodies, Reyna was glad to have been handed one of the torches. She was not a huge fan of the dark.

She followed the others into the cave, nervously checking behind her as they walked, wanting to make sure nothing was going to sneak up on them from the shadows. As they entered the relatively large 'library' Reyna glanced around, taking in the strange sight. She loved books, but the ones she read came from nice places, not strange, dark, holes in the ground…

She heard Asami commenting on one of the books and looked to the shelves herself, curious. Keeping her torch at enough of a distance that she wouldn't risk burning anything, Reyna tried to scan the spines to see if any titles were familiar. Strangely, however, she could see no lettering or symbols on any of the spines. Reaching out, she took hold of one of the books and pulled it from the shelf. Holding it delicately in one hand, she opened to a random page and her eyes narrowed, confused. Flipping through to more pages, it was all the same. Empty.

Replacing it on the shelf, Reyna grabbed another and flipped through it, only to find it as blank as the first. Turning to the others, she tilted her head. "You said this was a library right? Why were they storing a bunch of empty books?" Putting it back on the shelf alongside the others, Reyna turned to hear Ottome voice her concern about something protecting the library. She felt the hairs on the back of her neck rising as Ottome finished speaking and Reyna looked around nervously. If there was something protecting this place, she only hoped Asami would be able to keep them safe.

The question of Ottome caused Asami to throw a glance at the girl. "Good question. But no. I already received word that before us some investigation was done. Sensory and such, to scan out if there were any barriers or other nasty protections to become a hurdle for us." Asami explained, flashing a disarming smile. "But keep yourself on your toes. There is a lot that could be lying in wait, to surprise us." Asami continued as she placed the previous book back. Asami was about to venture deeper in the eerie-silent library, which had more in common with an odd tomb than an actual library. However, Reyna's words caused her to halt.

"Empty books?" Asami repeated, frowning and not hiding her confusion. Half turning, she threw a look at Reyna. It was evident that the jounin was debating various options, only to beckon to Ottome and Reyna to come over.
Picking a book out of the shelves nearby, Asami went through it. She couldn't decipher it but that wasn't her goal. It was simply to see if there was any content in it.
"Okay, both of you see if you notice any content. Just if you see it. Not if you can understand it or be able to guess it." Asami explained, a certain eagerness becoming present in her tone and body language as she held out the book towards her students.

Asami's response to Ottome's question brought a small measure of relief to Reyna. Knowing that the area had already been cleared of many potential threats, the girl did not feel quite as paranoid. When the jounin responded to Reyna's comment about the empty books, however, the girl found herself confused. Asami seemed… excited, or at least as excited as Reyna had ever seen her. Chewing on her lip nervously, Reyna glanced at Ottome before making her way over to Asami.

As she looked down at the pages, Reyna's eyebrows raised for a moment before she looked back up at her teacher. "There's nothing here, Asami-Sensei," she said, wondering what was going on in the jounin's mind.

Ottome was a bit confused but she had learned to not question Asami, unless there was a good grounded reasoning for it. Taking the book from Reyna, Ottome went through various pages and seemed confused. "I do see stuff in here," Ottome said as she turned the book around so that Asami could see it, the gesture betraying some of the girl's nerves. "So what now, Asami-sensei?" Ottome inquired, quite puzzled about what this could mean.

Patiently Asami waited for her pupils to respond with their findings. Intrigued by the different outcomes, something flashed through Asami's mind. Taking the book from Ottome, Asami would weigh the object in her hand as she gave a new set of instructions for the girls.
"Take a few books and rally back to camp. Don't share any findings yet with anybody. For now, state that I will be trying to investigate further but that I gave strict instructions for you two to delay handing information until I return or if I won't be back by tomorrow. This information is vital, so memorize this." Placing the book in her bag, Asami proceeded to create a shadow clone. "I will cover you guys. I am going to investigate a bit further and will be aiming to travel back to camp. The Jirian team will come here soon and see if I can learn something from them. Understood? Good."

Asami wasn't worried about her proteges. Ottome had some potential despite inexperience regarding specific fields. However, she had managed to survive various situations in which lesser genin had succumbed to panic or even died. Reyna? Clumsy and naive at times. Yet, Asami felt obligated to keep mentoring her. Their dynamic wasn't the best, and Asami felt like the girl could achieve much more. Then again, Reyna had proven her worth before, and as such, Asami didn't bother fretting if they could get ambushed on the way back to the camp. Else? Her shadow clone would trigger an alert.

Using a torch, Asami proceeded further into the hall. Halting as she noticed something, Asami pressed one of her gloved hands against the wall. The wall was smooth, and that made her wonder. The fact that the walls were smooth could have various explanations. Perhaps animals that had rubbed against it over a prolonged time. Another cause that Asami found more likely was that human hands and tools carved out a tunnel. The presence of the odd library supported the latter theory.
"Still doesn't explain why there are dead Rongese, just laying there," Asami muttered as she continued onwards. Her torch drove the shadows away and illuminated the hallway. Asami noticed how the walls opened up to a much larger room upon a certain point. The resonation of her boots faintly became more evident, allowing her to detect the change of space.

Slowly Asami crouched and placed the torch down. "Time for more light," she mumbled as her hands moved together. Conjuring several fireballs, Asami activated another technique. The small pistols would illuminate the room with more light - allowing Asami to witness the space.
"This is unexpected, quite unexpected," the Sanosuke whispered upon sighting the inscriptions on the walls and floor. The room was empty and lacked any other entry or exit point than what she had used to come inside.
Rising from her previous stance, Asami walked around. The visible lack of danger didn't allow her to lower her guard as she went around to inspect various glyph and rune looking symbols. Various of them had a familiarity that sparked Asami's interest. Recognizing some particular understanding with Chonobi and Taika script Asami's eyes narrowed in delight. "Curious," the word left her thin lips as an excited whisper. Asami's mind started to race as she continued, hoping to find a pattern among the mysterious inscriptions.

A potential theory was that this room could have been a sealing and barrier contraption. That theory gained some ground as Asami remembered the dead Rongese. What if this space had been a prison of something hostile? Some guardian of the library that had been set free upon the Rongese entering the library?
Continuing with that theory, Asami did realize the flaws of said hypothesis. If the location had a guardian, why didn't it linger around? Why had the scouts not found any tracks of it? There was also an absence of signs that the space had any barrier or sealing formulas, so far Asami could find. Weakening the first hypothesis but not demotivating Asami from further investigating the room.

Another theory that started to gain momentum was that this could be a safe area. There was no telling why anyone decided to hoard knowledge in a location away from civilization. Perhaps to hide it from prying Rongese or any other hostile eyes? Only that theory started to lose ground rapidly as Asami doubted that. Why could Reyna not read any of the content while Ottome could? It wasn't the first time that certain safety measures were used. Specific safety measures employed by intelligence operatives had something similar: they could be only detected or read if a clear perimeter had been reached or activated. This perimeter could be something as subtle as a chakra signature, even knowing the exact way to trigger it.
Standing still, Asami stared at various glyphs as she remembered multiple ways to trigger said safety measures from her time as an ANBU. But whatever she tried, nothing responded.

"So no chakra. Perhaps blood," Asami said softly, thinking out loud. Brandishing a knife, the woman pricked her left thumb and allowed a drop of blood to hit the ground. Asami remained silent and still, trying to detect any shift in her surrounding. But nothing that gave away that some mechanism had been triggered. No creaking or cracking of wood or stone. It remained silent aside from the soft sound of her flames.
"Perhaps I should have taken some of her blood," Asami whispered to herself, sounding annoyed as she made a mental note to next time take some blood from Reyna. The girl would oppose the idea, but Asami would find a way.

For now, she continued investigating. Until a sensation crept through her body, her shadow clone had released itself. The knowledge and remaining chakra joining her system and mind made Asami softly sigh. The Jirians were here.
Noticing various beams sticking out from the walls, Asami decided to take a position on top of them. Dismissing her fire technique, the shadows quickly flowed back in the room as Asami would wait and listen.

Reactions: FrostedCaramel

[ Operation: Screeching Darkness ]
[ Sevudia ]
[ Team 11 - Team Nishi ]
[ A Collab between @Oetje , @DeliciousFood @Sakayanagi Selko and @Nim, with special guest @Aliceee ]
[ The team gathers back together, before heading out to a cave that holds a few mysteries for them. ]

Part 1

The journey to the rally point wasn't in or near the fortress of Balagan. Nishi had rallied Alsanna and Yuyuko, with the clear instructions that they had to prepare themselves for a difficult mission. Not much else was shared as Nishi seemed to put pressure on them to move out as soon as possible.
The trek would take them further than the established camps of the allied forces, past various meadows and hills until they seemed to reach a rather tall hill. Situating herself and the squad on the hilltop, it provided them with a good sight of their surroundings. Clearly looking out for something, Nishi would speak up to her two subordinates.
"The Qinjings will be arriving soon. Then we will go to our mission location to investigate a rather curious site." The jounin explained, not throwing even a glance at the two chuunin. "There also will be a Northern unit present. I will do the talking with them. It is in our interest to not cause any agitation with our allies."

The travel to the meetup point was made somewhat easier for Hikari, as she was both accompanied by six Qinjings, and they were coming there on horsebacks. While the news of her departure from the Jinsan Fortress came rather suddenly, she wasn't too surprised. Her stay in the fortress already felt like quite the extended break from the type of activities she was used to.
Arriving at the rally point, Hikari dropped from the horse. Taking her things off the horse, she nodded to the other Qinjings, along with a small, polite bow to them, before watching them turn away and head off. Turning towards the team, she put her bag on her back, before approaching them "As ordered, I've arrived, Nishi." She said.

Back to the usual grind. Alsanna's look hadn't changed much beyond slightly more pronounced bags under her eyes. Her demeanor didn't show that much fatigue, but efforts to keep herself busy did seem to have their impact. Her attire was certainly very proper, all clean and even with some freshly polished boots, but otherwise it was the regular medic with her regular bitch-face, "Mornin', chickpeas." she addressed the two during their departure in a very usual manner, and would do the exact same to Hikari when she'd arrive, "Mornin', Chickpea."
Although there was one thing that stood out, and it was her messenger bag being slightly larger than usual. Was she carrying more goods? "So, like, how many will we be? Y'know, in case I gotta triage and decide which of the two foreigner groups is more valuable." lovable as always.

Upon receiving the news that the group would need to move out as quickly as possible, Yuyuko noted the tone in Nishi's voice as she quickly went over the things in her bag that she prepared previously just in case for travel.
After which she hurried with her things she needed in tow to catch up with Alsanna and Nishi to be ready for travel. ""Good morning, Sensei, Alsanna" she said politely as the chunin hurried along feeling the pressure from Nishi to hurry along.
Soon after when the group arrived at the location,she noted the Qinjings and Hikari as they arrived, waving at Hikari, happy to see her again shrugging as she noted Alsanna's comments and Nishi's instructions.
"Yes, Sensei.""

The arrival of the Qinjings with Hikari was met with a frown from Nishi. The jounin wouldn't halt the Qinjings or pose the questions that she had for them. Their immediate departure said enough, confirming some of Nishi's suspicions. Throwing a glance at Hikari, Nishi performed a subtle nod.
"Welcome back, Hikari." Nishi hooked a thumb behind her belt as she seemed to observe the chuunin. Only to throw a look at the other two chuunin. "We are going. Once more. I will do the talking. The Northerners are awaiting us at the meeting point." Nishi informed them with a stern tone. "I will say it here and now, a final time. We ought to cooperate with them. But there is a subtle difference in working with them and just working for them. You three adhere to my commands. Keep that in mind and don't overshare just because someone is nice to you."

Not responding to Alsanna's welcome or Yuyuko's wave, Hikari just listened as Nishi seemingly repeated something she hadn't been around to hear before. They were working with the northerners and needed to follow her orders. The mention of oversharing just because someone is nice made Hikari wonder if Nishi would ever manage to learn anything about the Qinjings, if she was a liaison.
"Understood. Not that I even know what we're going to be doing with them." Hikari remarked, wondering why Nishi deemed that she was needed. It wasn't like she ever really needed her before.

Alsanna yawned after a light stretch during Nishi's quick briefing. It was the usual, and nothing other than the mundane would come from the medic of the squad. Blue eyes then counted the three members of her team, passing a quick but scrutinizing glance upon each of their figures to make an assessment before she'd speak up, "So, no numbers. Got it. I'll just decide, as usual." from her larger bag she'd whip out a water bottle, and she'd promptly indulge, "Ahhh. Oh, yeah, we're going to a place of learning to- surprise surprise- learn." a condescending nod along with an exaggerated pursing of her lips came to punctuate that comment before she'd toss the half-empty bottle at Hikari, as a welcome gift. Maybe. The new Chuunin would seem pressed to get this done, keeping close to Nishi and not wasting any time.

The trek towards the destination wasn't far, as it only took roughly ten minutes before Nishi and her team arrived. Their surroundings were dotted with vegetation but nothing that was too dense to mark it out as a forest, more as obstacles. Various hills varied in height but once more Nishi seemed determined to find the tallest, for whatever reasons.
Arriving at the top, she would point out towards the opposite side of the hill. Descending down was where a grim sight awaited them. Corpses of Rongese soldiers laid on the ground, frozen in pools of their own blood as an entrance into darkness was revealed.
"The library," Nishi informed her team, tossing a glance at her pupils. "Now we await the Northerners."

"We were already here."

The voice came from a nearby tree, the tone clearly a modicum of amusement and sort of disdain. Within mere seconds, a woman dropped from the branch she had been sitting on. Landing with a certain grace, she immediately inspected the pack that Nishi led. Scoffing, the red-haired woman placed her fists against her hips.
"What a shame. You would think that the Knife of Miyanai would have a more," raising a hand and performing a gesture towards the troop of Nishi, a circular gesture, "prettier gang? Discipline tends to do favors for those who are able to groom themselves. Even if they are this ugly, dear gods," the woman stated before fixing her gaze upon Nishi. "Anyhow, a pleasure to meet you and all that jazz. Asami of the Sanosuke clan," a clear mocking display of a half bow was performed before Asami frowned at the Jirians.

Goodness was that trek painful, at least for Alsanna. All that climbing, and of all the hills the biggest one was always Nishi's choice. Suffering in silence was not a notion she'd abide by on this day, but she'd shut herself up when the library was reached with an admirative gaze dedicated to their destination that displayed her newfound vigour.
Then the redhead appeared. The corner of the chuunin's lips twitched and an awkward titter escaped her. How could one contain themselves here? For the first briefest of moments, she just bit her lower lip and fixed her gaze on a patch of grass near Nishi's feet. Then she just spoke up, "Anyone got some water? Nishi? Someone just lit a fire on that dead animal over this lady's head." oh yeah, she had that shit-eating grin and an electrifying glare devoted to the Northerner.

Nishi's palm would smack against the back of Alsanna's head. "I told you something," the jounin softly hissed at her pupil, before gazing back at Asami. Not immediately did Nishi reply, simply allowing some silence to persist after her 'correcting' Alsanna.
"Good. Then we can discuss how we go about this mission. It was kind of you Northerners to share this finding with us. I propose that we investigate the bodies again. For that reason, I brought someone that can perhaps determine how they died. And then both our teams post a detachment of our team to guard the entrance, while we split up to scout out the library."

The introduction of Asami already made Hikari think much more highly of the Qinjings than the northerners. As wary as the latter were, at least they had some sense as to how to talk to people they are going to work with. And this lady spoke like she was nothing more than a shitty brat.
Watching as Alsanna gave her response, Hikari just remained quiet. She had no reason to try and back her teammate up, as far as she saw it. Once Nishi was done, Hikari glanced in her direction. Now things were starting to make more sense, including what Alsanna meant before. A library. And probably one in Renese. Crossing her hands, she wondered if Nishi even knew how much she learned, or if she brought her there on nothing more than an assumption.

Asami's gaze immediately went towards Alsanna. Instead of anger or something that indicated that Asami was in any sense hurt or harmed by the Jirian's words wasn't shown. Instead, a grin started to creep on Asami's lips - even before Nishi slapped the girl's head from behind.
Turning her attention to the jounin, Asami raised her right hand and seemingly inspected her nails. The boredom that the Northerner radiated seemed to also bring forth a cocky attitude, only further emphasized as Asami threw a glance at the two pupils of Nishi that hadn't spoken up.
"I suppose that can work. It is a simple enough plan that I expect rats like you lot to complete without me or my team needing to guide you with." Asami's gaze rested on Hikari, an odd shift taking place on Asami's features. Lowering her hand, she continued but kept her gaze fixed on the Jirian chuunin. "We will go with that. But seeing that we were so kind to share this finding with you, I want some sort of," clicking with her tongue, Asami looked back at Nishi, "exchange of trust. I wanted to say some sort of prisoner but that has a negative ring to it."

Pointing at Alsanna, Asami frowned at the Jirian jounin. "How about that one? She goes with me and my team. As long as you guys keep to the deal, we will treat her as one of our own. Without of course giving her anything too useful. We only brought tools and such for my team, not an extra."

Alsanna braced herself, for she had seen it coming. The inevitable retribution from a teacher she had grown to know. The chuunin's head fell forward, the girl's mane projected at the same direction and thus covering her lowered visage. The rest of her body barely budged, and she kept still for a few seconds before rising back, her hand furthest from her messenger bag brushing her black hair back to a somewhat presentable angle. A mere exhale came from her nostrils afterward, as the verbal battle had been stopped.
Then came Asami's proposal. No surprise to Alsanna's face, and instead an intrigued eyebrow raise along with her hands opening up to a shrug, "Me? Huh. Guess I got ya' all star struck, huh?" she smirked before presenting one of her hands forward, index pointed up, "But randomly choosing me is probably not too brilliant. One should factor in your own team's composition, yes?" a light tilt of her head had Alsanna take the temperature of the situation, and see if everyone was following, "I am, after all, my team's medic. Do you have a medic of your own? Should such a valuable resource be considered more thoroughly?" and then both her hands clapped together, "In any case! I think I'm also the anonymous, qualified party to conduct an autopsy, yes yes? Something we should all get a little out of."

Yuyuko on her part did not appreciate the long trek as she tried to keep up, tho for the most part, it was not overly tiring even with the huge amount of of trekking up the hills, something that while not overly tiring, was certainly not helped by Nishi's possible obsession of climbing every one of the tallest ones like a man possessed as Yuyuko followed on for what seemed like the millionth time. Shortly after, the group came face to face with Asami, assumingly the person who led the group they are to team-up with...supposedly.
While Yuyuko considered saying something, she figured that silence was better as she quietly watched the exchange on the side, partially letting out a groan as she heard the smack that Nishi did to Alsanna followed by the exchange that happened.
As she noted the banter, Yuyuko moved a hand to let it rest on her katana, Fuurai's hilt watching the process go by and seeing what would be Nishi's final choice.

Nishi seemed to actually consider the suggestion. Her eyes were searching for something, in a subtle fashion before fixing the woman's gaze back at Asami. Shifting her attention to Alsanna, Nishi spoke up. "It is a fair request," she began, "but I prefer to keep this one at my own side. Besides her useful talents, she is a real trouble to keep under control. I prefer to be aware of what she does than to allow her to roam free." Nishi responded. "I would offer the presence of my other two chuunin. But their lack of specialism won't make it much worth for you," gesturing to Yuyuko and Hikari, Nishi then shrugged lightly, "unless you perhaps can return the suggestion yourself?" The jounin then visibly looked around as she continued, "I have yet to detect them. We agreed that two teams would undertake this mission, no? Anyhow, this is all that I can offer you, at this stage."

Clicking with her tongue twice in a row, Asami ignored pretty much the words of Alsanna as Nishi spoke up. "A shame. But yeah, my team is around. I already assigned them to a task. Seeing that we have yet to determine what took out those poor chaps," pointing casually at the corpses at the base of the hill, Asami's head then tilted slightly to the side. "I would offer an exchange. But as you put it," Asami's gaze went towards Hikari and Yuyuko, only for her lips to curve downwards, "I have no use for chuunin that have no useful abilities. If I need some weed-whacking, I will find a way to do it myself rather than to leave to grunts." The Sanosuke's nose wrinkled as she inhaled and then twisted her head slightly, to the side, to spit some saliva out of her mouth.

"So nah, that suggestion is off. I suppose the only trade we can do is in any items, to provide a guarantee of trust and cooperation." Asami's voice became a tad more serious, "I take it, after all, that the Knife of Miyanai is accustomed with this rite, right?" Asami asked, once more only fixing her attention at the Jirian jounin.

As the others kept on going back and forth between them, Hikari moved her gaze to Alsanna, who decided to reveal her own nature as the team's medic, and the one who would determine what killed the people. Thinking back on what was said, Hikari had a slight hunch on what might've killed the Rongese. But it was irrelevant until Alsanna performed her own inspections.
As Asami made the gesture of trust and cooperation, Hikari closed her eyes. It was good that there were no Qinjings present, she thought to herself, before speaking up "Maybe we should get going, so we won't burn anymore daylight."

As Yuyuko watched the banter that went back and forth, she decided to think about what did kill the ones that their teams would be inspecting as shook her head in response to Nishi when her Jonin sensei glanced in her direction indicating that she had no better suggestions herself. With that, she shrugged checking the items she brought while keeping her hand rested on Fuurai "Whatever the case is, i am sure we are ready to head off on your orders."
She said as she wanted to see if Nishi had any more negotiations to do before the teams moved to do the job they were ordered to do.

Nishi's right hand was raised. Gently, Nishi pinched her nose bridge as she half closed her eyes. Remaining silent for a moment, the jounin would flash an apologizing smile towards Asami.
"It seems that some of my team don't know the old customs. I am familiar with them." She would respond to Asami, deciding to not entertain the replies of Yuyuko and Hikari that brought nothing to the exchange. "I would be happy to commit to a trade. We lack anything, however, that confirms that deal. Unless we decide to postpone it until the end of this mission?" Nishi added, wondering what the Northerner would decide.

One side ignored her, the other opted for questionable advertising. Both parties left Alsanna with a dull stare and a frown dedicated to each of them. Although Nishi would score the faintest of chuckles from the dark haired chuunin as she stood in the metaphorical middle of the two adults. There came a desire to speak up, manifested by her hand rising up, only for the team medic to keep herself discreet as her attention was brought to the mentioned corpses nearby.
There was no warning or overt display of curiosity, she just walked to the hill's foot to give a first, quick inspection of the corpses. A swift gesture of her left hand over her right wrist caused her metal cane to pop into existence, clenched by the appendage that brought it to be, "Wakey-wakey." she brought the cane's tip over to the nearest body and commenced poking and lifting some of the limbs to get a first, distant assessment of the situation with her idle hand on her hip, and hopefully they wouldn't wake up.

Yuyuko, as she heard Nishi's comment, raised her eyebrow at the sentence of old customs. Apparently there was a sort of proper procedure to be done in this situation which she was unaware of but the chunin could not put her head on it as her gaze shifted to Asami and then to Hikari before noting that Alsanna had instead beaten them to it and was already beginning to investigate the corpses.
Yuyuko on her part considered telling off Alsanna for in a sense playing with fate before deciding to remain silent and keep am eye out,hand on Fuurai in case she needed to draw it.

"Shame," Asami simply stated as an answer, regarding that no trade could be made. Watching how one of Nishi's apprentices started to descend the hill, Asami clicked once more with her tongue. "That one spells both promise and trouble. Intriguing," returning her gaze to Nishi, Asami's eyebrows formed a frown on her brow. "Well, that said and done, we can rally here once we have something to share then. My team and I, will continue on our own investigation then," a smile flowed on her lips as she began a bow, only to poof away in a small bit of smoke - revealing the true nature, that she was a mere shadow clone.

"Ah," Nishi released a sigh as it was clear that Asami had left a shadow clone. Not upset that they had been stalled, Nishi threw a look down the hill as Alsanna was already working on investigating the bodies. At least, if there was some threat up ahead, that means that Asami and her team would have to deal with it first.
Throwing a glance at Hikari and Yuyuko, Nishi seemed to consider something. Only to shrug lightly and descend towards the base of the hill. The corpses were widespread, their skin pale and various wounds visible. The grim scene didn't gain much interest from Nishi who whistled to gather the attention of her pupils.
"Alsanna and Hikari, you guys investigate the corpses. Once done, get inside. Yuyuko and I are going inside." Nishi waited a second, throwing a look at Alsanna. "Look for what caused their deaths and possibly anything else that may be of interest. By any sign of danger, try to alert us. You are creative enough to figure something out."

That said, Nishi would enter the dark entrance. It took a few seconds before her eyes adjusted to the darkness. Considering the options she had, Nishi crouched down on a knee. Pulling something out of her backpack, it didn't take long for the jounin to light a torch.
"This makes it easier," escaped her lips as a mere muttering as she shined a light on the surroundings.

The inside of the 'library' was odd. Books, scrolls and more were lined up in a most organised fashion. Dust and marks betrayed that multiple individuals had entered and perhaps investigated it but at the same time that it was either old or long neglected. Entering, Nishi inspected the first tome that she could grab. The title on the front was written in a language that was entirely foreign to her. Opening it, she casually scrolled through in order to find something. Dissatisfied with not finding anything she could comprehend, Nishi continued to go deeper.
The light of the torch revealed that the floor descended, deeper into the ground. The stone shelves and wooden supports indicate that there was some thought being put into the work. Inspecting the wood, Nishi ticked with her knuckles against it. Visibly waiting for something, she repeated the gesture again but then mumbled something before descending deeper into the library.

After seeing the Northerner vanish in front of them and hearing the instructions, Hikari just shrugged, before heading down the hill towards Alsanna. Once Nishi left them, she started looking over the bodies.
"Right. Probably can't really help much with actual examinations of the bodies. So I'll just keep an eye and ear out until you do your thing, dickwad." She said, taking a couple steps away and starting to take a look around. Hikari would slowly and quietly start making a circular path around Alsanna and the bodies, keeping watch as she waited to hear when Alsanna was done.

On Yuyuko's part, she turned in surprise when the poof of Asami was heard as the chunin shook her head. "well..her team may have beat us to it..." she said with an annoyed pout before looking to Nishi who begun to give instructions with herself tagging along with Nishi as Yuyuko hurried quickly after Nishi into the dark entrance, the darkness being very overwhelming as Yuyuko rubbed her eyes while trying to get used to the darkness while contemplating of reaching into her bag.
Luckily she need not worry about the darkness for long as she saw the light from Nishi's touch which helped her hurry over, what little light that Yuyuko could see helping her make her way towards Nishi.
After which as Yuyuko caught up with Nishi, she noted the language was something she did not understand and apprantly the same can probably be said for Nishi as her sensei mumbled something before going deeper into the darkness, Yuyuko following after to keep pace.

No zombie, the corpses kept still after the pokes. Alsanna exhaled from her nostrils as a general scan of the body pile was done. The Northerner had poofed away and orders were now to be given, to which Alsanna merely tilted her head without moving her attention from the subjects, "Thank you, Nishi, without your guidance I would have just taxidermied them and re-enact tea parties I conducted as a kid, with my little dolls made more realistic. Truly, your insight is top." lips pursed as she gave a final glance to both Yuyuko and Nishi before waving them goodbye.
Now came time to work. That all so useful cane was made to prod the freshest body she could find. And, oddly enough, such a pursuit would already bring Alsanna to grimace in slight discontent, "Notice anything off, Hikari?" the tip of the cane was brought under the nearest corpse's chin. It was in a sitting position, with a couple of stab wounds to the abdomen, one dead at the centre and the other on the heart, and when its head was raised, it'd be revealed to be a male with a missing left ear and a terror-stricken visage. Rigour mortis never acted this fact, which would be evident to all, even the uninitiated, "Also, dickwad?" furrowing her eyebrows, she turned her attention to Hikari, "You can do better than that. Teach me some swears you've learned from the Mountain-people." focusing back on the corpse, the interesting thing about it was that it wasn't any more worthy of being examined than the rest. It wasn't fresher or more rotten than the others. The smell of death was absent, as if death had an entirely new meaning, where even the putrid odours weren't allowed to exist, "Start dragging some in the library."

Continuing her circle as she heard Alsanna talk, Hikari just shrugged "Don't care if you think I can or can't. That's what you get. And who said they even taught me anything? Those people are more wary than a squirrel trying to protect its nuts." She said.
When the request was made, she turned and rose an eyebrow "Drag a body into the library? You want any bodies in there, then we're bringing them together. Otherwise, forget it. I'm not a mule." She said, before walking up to the body that Alsanna was next to, and proceeded to grab around the armpits of the deceased.

As Hikari formulated her reply, Alsanna kneeled as to reach out for the corpse's eye socket and widen it. It was dry, the eyeball very much an unpleasant sight to behold. But it was 'intact', which got her to grin, "Cool." and then she looked over at her maybe-assistant, "Also, that is one redundant and time-consuming way to say 'No'. Cunt fits better, though." back on her feet, she kept still for a moment and just stared at Hikari, "Ah right, even for grunt work you need help …" an eye roll followed.
Although Alsanna wasn't much better with the lazy-factor, as she'd immediately go for a shortcut. Familiar hand signs would bring forth one of those awful clones. Although this time, it really just looked like Alsanna. A lifeless gaze as always, sure, but otherwise it wasn't malformed. It would take the role of assisting Hikari in the transport, "Y'know, I've heard of some bodies just not being that stinky. But a dozen without a shred of stench? Sounds pretty odd, no?"

As the flesh clone appeared to help her, Hikari just rolled her eyes. Of course she'd go the lazyass route. Starting to carry the first body in, she heard Alsanna's remark "About as weird as a person that decided to jump into a pit of lava on their own accord, yeah." She said, before entering the library and placing the body down near the entrance.
Heading back out, Hikari crossed her arms "How many of these do you want in there? Actually, nevermind, I'll just take in two more." She proceeded to go and repeat the process with the flesh clone two more times.
"You are on FIRE today." a very lazy and very ironic finger-gun was directed toward Hikari, "Now if you call me stinky doo-doo I'll forever be shamed. Keep moving." the last bit came as dry as it possibly could, as if all of Alsanna's patience had been dried out. At least until she could get back to work. Once the body was posed at the entrance, the medic reached for a coin in her vest's pocket and flipped it into the air. There'd be a subsequent 'poof' that then manifested a humanoid being. All red with auburn hair, a female around the age of Alsanna came to be. She wore a red kimono, hair tied properly and her eyes very much not-human. They were the eyes of a bird, an owl to be exact, but it moved and behaved like a human, just without the talking-bit. With that little transformation came also a quick summon of a sheet via a scroll, where the body would be made to lie over.
The odd girl would commence preparations for the autopsy, removing every piece of clothing with meticulous care while spreading out a few scrolls from Alsanna's bag, which when activated would bring forth the surgical equipment she needed, "Oh yeah, if you see any of them with worms of something, do bring a sample!" she called out as the second corpse was dragged in. Hikari would not find any maggot-riddled body. She would find nothing at all on them, not even a hungry scavenger nearby.

As she brought in the second corpse, Hikari briefly glanced at the entire preparation she had going on, including the weird girl that had shown up. Deciding not to say anything, she just proceeded to go and bring in the third body, and didn't bother to see if any of them had any worms, only going for the closest body to the entrance instead. They all seemed to be in the exact same state to her anyway.
Once she brought the third body inside, Hikari placed it next to the second, and proceeded to glance around the entrance of the library. Kneeling down, she grabbed a torch from her own pack and lit it on fire, before beginning to look around, staying in close proximity to Alsanna. Grabbing a book, she opened it and looked at the writing on the first page. It wasn't similar to the Renese she learned or seen at all, but there was a touch of something familiar. But she couldn't quite figure out what it was just from a first glance.
Closing the book, she turned to look in Alsanna's direction "Give a yeller when you're done. I'm staying nearby until then." She told her, before proceeding to look over a scroll.

The red kimono-girl mobilized herself each time a corpse was brought, prepared a sheet and made sure they were properly secured like the first. This entity's role was pure assistance, and seized the initiative at most times before Alsanna needed to vocalize anything. The medic herself continued to do a thorough inspection of external elements first. The wounds on the abdomen and chest clearly struck the liver and heart, and the weapon could've been anything, "Hmm, can't see any residues of anything …" she said, before peering over at the light provided to her. A little nod of approval was given to Hikari before Alsanna continued her work. Tweezers dug into the wounds to further investigate, and she was left rather disappointed, "Clear cause of death here. Hmm. Still." she exhaled from her nostrils before putting on a surgical mask and tying her hair back.
Now was time to open up this cadaver. A proper Y-shape and rib snapping later, the core was exposed for Alsanna to explore. And, unfortunately, nothing abnormal could be seen. Beyond of course the drying organs and the particularly small bowels. None of it appeared to surprise her, and if anything, she let out a mild 'Mmm' sound, as if pleased with something, "Hikari." she called out, while beginning to excise the liver and the heart, "Chop one of their limbs, and bring it here. Cleanly." she ordered while removing the organs and setting them on their dedicated scrolls set up by the red girl.

As she looked over another book, which still provided no language that she could read, Hikari came to a realization about what she felt was familiar. Even if she couldn't read it, the way it was written in symbols gave a sense of similarity to Taika. Not that it meant she could read it, but perhaps it could suggest something else about this language. Closing the book, she looked at how everything was arranged otherwise. A library through and through, albeit one that was barely touched in what seemed like years.
Upon hearing Alsanna's call and order for her, she raised an eyebrow "And you expect me to do it cleanly with what tool, exactly? Or perhaps you also want me to drop the source of light you currently have?" She asked, while approaching her, the strange girl with owl eyes and the three bodies "Not to mention, you're the medical expert. You know how to cut something cleanly. I don't."

Alsanna paused, right in the middle of investigating the unusual bowels, and just sighed in her mask. Eyes closed, body somewhat stiff, it took a good five seconds before she could resume, "A Tanto. She can hold it. Literally just chop it." everything was answered in one breath, and then she inhaled again. Removing the intestines was going to be a bit more tricky, as in their current state they were prone to tearing. Still, she went for it, like pulling out a very long piece of cloth and rested it all on a thicker scroll than the rest. It looked so dry, and so much thinner than any other organs.
Investigation went deeper into this bizarre organ, opening it up and going for a few tests she could do on the spot. One involved her sticking her nose out for a smell test. Nothing. There was some dried and barely noticeable fecal matter at the end but even that was completely off, "Everything's dead …" she mumbled to herself, just barely audible enough for the two other entities in the entrance to hear, "Cause of death is exsanguination from what I can tell. Heart and Liver damage suggests fatal injuries. But." the scalpel was brought to the subject's arm and was promptly opened up. She'd then bring a magnifying glass. A good one made specifically for nerve and chakra-line observation, given how small they were. Nerves seemed 'fine' as far as a drying corpse was involved, but the chakra lines suggested something very abnormal.

The response that came would just get an eye roll from Hikari, before she proceeded to hand the torch to the strange girl, drew her tanto and moved to sit herself next to the second body. Tearing the sleeve off the body and clearing her view of the arm, she placed the tanto's blade next to the topmost part of the arm. Using both hands to stabilize the tanto's blade, she'd start to push it into the flesh, doing it slowly so as to not cause any unneeded damage to the arm. It would take a couple of minutes before Hikari managed to finish separating the arm from the rest of the body. She wiped the blade away on the body's shirt from the bits of flesh that remained on it, before sheathing it.
When she was done, she took the arm and placed it next to Alsanna. Taking the torch back from the owl-eyed girl, she went back to the shelf. Hikari had heard what Alsanna mumbled, but she didn't know what to make of it. So instead, she opened a fourth book and decided to continue studying this unknown language. Specifically, try and find any repeating symbols that may repeat often, ones that could serve as a more 'common' symbols for whatever language this was.

When the arm was ready, the kimono-girl rushed to gather it, trading it for the torch that Hikari was to keep with her, and delivered the arm neatly next to the one Alsanna was examining, "Thanks, love." she was clearly addressing the silent entity. The same opening was made on the forearm, and findings were now compared, "Super cool." she blurted out in a louder voice that echoed through the entrance, "Not an injury or an aberration." she grinned a toothy smile under her mask as she seized some particularly thin tweezers.
The line's were essentially 'pulled' out and while razor thin, she could get an interesting glimpse without the zooming feature, "Do you know how long it takes for chakra to fully leave the body, Hikari?" she inquired, her gaze fully dedicated to the strand she tugged out, "About a month for traces in the lines to vanish. In truth, it is theorized that there's always a trace of one's chakra- a signature- even when you're down to a dusty skeleton. But, there is observable chakra for at least a month." setting aside the tweezers, the medic went on to inspect the face of the victim, and then traced her gloved hands over the male's skull, "They have nothing. Zero. So much so that it stressed their lines to the point of damaging them in ways I've never even seen. It's that, just, pretty rad?"

As she started to look over the book, Hikari sat down on the ground, placed the book gently on the floor, before taking out her journal and pencil, opening the journal to an empty page, and started to write down symbols that she found repeated in the book in a fairly recurring manner. Both separately and in pairings.
Hearing Alsanna speak up, she raised an eyebrow at the news. Completely drained of chakra. That was certainly unnatural "So whatever killed them sucked their chakra dry that much. Definitely counts as weird." She remarked back, before looking back at what she was writing down and the book
"Meanwhile, it seems as though the books and scrolls here are all in a language that isn't Renese. Seen enough of it the past month to know for sure. And then there is more. While I can't read it, there is a slight resemblance to Taika. Both are symbol-based languages when written. Which could potentially suggest that one of the languages may have influenced the other at some point in time." Hikari noted, as she put down the pencil and closed the book, before standing up and putting it back on the shelf. Grabbing another book, Hikari would repeat the process with the symbols yet again.

"Not unnatural. We've seen Boggarts of all things feast on the stuff." Alsanna said in passing, gesturing in dismissal while pointing at the liver she had on display, "But this thing is very cool. Took out like, at least ten guys without them even leaving some trace on their weapons." she said, almost giddy, "If it appeared, right now, we'd be soooooooo boned. And suckled completely too." then she migrated over to the intestines, which she waved around for Hikari to see, "Absolutely NOTHING is alive in this body. Not even fungi. Not even bacteria. Nothing. Whatever got them, whew, it's either super sanitary," the guts were dropped, and finally she took a gander at the pierced heart, "Or it's not just unnatural. It's against nature." a slightly dramatic and dark tone was employed. It was hard to tell if she did this on purpose or not.
Standing up, the medic peered over at the avid reader among the two, "Yeah, very cool. We'll find a translator. Let's, uhm, focus on the immediate concern, yes? The super-death mystery thing?" her gloves were purged, though only for her to get a new pair, "And to know a little more, I need bugs. Flies, centipedes, roaches, as well as a decently sized scavenger. Like, uhhhh, a vulture or something." she paused, peering upwards, "Okay, you won't find any vultures here. Nor hyenas. Maybe a fox? They're predators, but they'll gladly feast on unspoiled meat."

Hearing how easily Alsanna dismissed the mysterious language, Hikari sighed. Of course she wouldn't appreciate it. As the medic started noting down what she'd need further, Hikari stopped her writing and turned to look at her "Well, even if any of them were around, you'd still be missing one vital thing for them to even approach. Scent. If there is no scent, then most animals would disregard it in favor of other things that do give off some kind of smell." Hikari remarked, before turning back to the book in front of her.
As she went over the pages, she started to note down which symbols she already wrote were repeating, and how many times she had seen them. Even if she could memorize the page in its entirety, it would be redundant for her to do so without knowing what it was about. So she decided to stick to repeating words to try and see if she could use those for some kind of a base.
"If you want bugs like that, maybe your little companion could find some under the shelves." Hikari suddenly mentioned "Some of those do thrive in places like these."

A loud crack came from Alsanna's direction as Hikari dived back into her books and gave a passing comment. Her right ring finger had been pressed down by the adjacent thumb, while the idle hand rose up to clear the surgical mask from her face. The more flakey gaze she may have had while pondering what they could do and working up hypotheses was gone in favour of an unnervingly focused glare toward Hikari. Although the intensity of it may be hard to gauge, as her eyes remained far too large to be a usual squint. The mask was tossed to the ground and she marched her way to Hikari with aggression easily recognized in her gait and gestures.
"What the fuck is this?" she asked just as she reached out for the book Hikari had been studying, aiming to get a quick look onto it before crudely tossing it further away as if it were a piece of junk, "I'm here busting out quality work and you decide it's time for a little midday read? Are you joking, Hikari? Are you actually taking the fucking piss?" turning quickly, she'd bend over to seize one of the unused bowls for potential organ categorizing and tossed it near the other's feet, "Go on then, piss away ya' twat. Because that's about the extent of your use here." her freshly gloved hand rose up to brush some of her rebellious locks back, "Y'know, that ginger cunt had a point, you two really are fuckin' decoration compared to other Chuunin." steam nearly erupted from her nostrils as she ranted, her gaze directed mostly to the opened entrance of the library.
Alsanna wasn't done, though, kicking aside one of the containers that held a lung, which made a mild mess, and randomly selected one of the nearby books. Skimming through it by flipping the pages with stiff and rough movements, she'd end up giving a condescending chuckle to herself, "And, like, you can't do this in your own time. Or like, y'know, realize this crap here," she held the book opened and held it by one end only, causing it to crudely hand, "that I'm sure you'll figure how to translate on the spot, yeah. I'm convinced the death-thing-whatever that wiped out these assholes, some of which out-raking us I'm sure, would be so impressed that it'd spare us." and then she just let the book drop onto the floor, "Do as I say if you've nothing useful to contribute to our job, Torimoto. Or fuck off entirely."

Alsanna came, kicked the book away, and Hikari stopped and turned to look at her as she gave her very aggressive rant. About her and how she was basically useless, only reading. Glancing back at her journal, she closed it and put it back in her bag, as Alsanna continued on. Once she was done, Hikari stood up and approached her "Well, you are right that I can read these at any time. But I suppose wanting to figure out what was in this library that something so unnatural caused all these men to die like that isn't as important as figuring out what killed them in the first place."
Sighing, she went and handed the torch to the owl-eyed girl, before going back to one of the shelves, and moving to lay on the floor. With the light being faint, Hikari could barely spot some bugs that were scattering around. Taking out her tanto, she carefully slid the blade underneath the bookshelf, picking up a few of the bugs with the blade, and then taking it out, before going and putting it by the body Alsanna was studying "There. Got a few centipedes and a cockroach for you, with a couple of what looks like worms of some sort. Now, as I said before, without scent, these bodies won't attract animals. Only way to do it is to fake a scent for them, or cook them. So, I can offer to give a few drops of blood to have those serve as a source of scent and see if any foxes come for the bodies outside."
While she took out a kunai, she glanced at Alsanna "And I might've been rude about it, but I did still help you. It wasn't as though I just told you no and no to both your instructions. And you're the medical expert between us, I wanted to give you the space to concentrate and silence, instead of being up your ass. But if that bothers you so much, then too bad. Nishi told us to be together, and I'm not about to leave you here alone when whatever did that," She gestured to the three bodies "Could still be around. So no fucking off for me."

"Yeah, that's Nishi's job. Your job is HERE. With ME. Like, it isn't some random fucking book that'll tell you of the many wonders that can spawn whatever did this." a light tilt of her head had her motion point to the three corpses nearby, "And no, you're just undermining everything I do with pointless input and complaining. The fact that you're assuming what I want to do with the animals while you're half-paying attention is driving me nuts." again, mild steam escaped her nose, although her tenseness in her posture dropped a tad.
When given the insects after a brief search, Alsanna wordlessly gathered them into a sterile container, and later dropped the majority into the intestine bowl. There, she'd closed it with a lid and let nature run its course, "Let's get some things straight here. I am indeed the expert. Which means you are not to question the dumb labour I ask you to do. The FASTER I get this done, the higher our chances are of surviving. If I asked you to hop off a cliff, sure, whine away. But getting an animal and dragging corpses, just fucking do it." she shook her head, "Your scent theory is null anyway. The point is not to have them eat the flesh. It's to see what makes it so revolting that even the naturally grown flora in the guts also just died off. Is there something they can detect from the body? Is there a poison that has decayed over time and I can't find traces of it? Is it something else entirely? In any case, do as I say. We'll probably live longer that way."

Keeping her eyes fixed on Alsanna, Hikari listened until the other chuunin finished both her own input on what she did wrong, and then the explanation on why she needed the animals. Thinking back on what Alsanna said before, she came closer to the second one, the one whom arm she chopped off, and glanced at it "Well, I can set up a trap for a predator, but I can't promise it will actually catch anything. Not an expert on trapping. But, you said before the bodies were completely dry of chakra, right? Everything in nature has chakra. What if it is exactly that? The fact they can't detect any chakra at all just repels them, as it is unnatural."
Looking in her shinobi kit, she took out some string "It could also explain why the natural flora died off. Even in normal corpses, there is a bit of chakra still there, as you yourself said. Probably what helps maggots sustain themselves off bodies too. So without any chakra, there wouldn't be anything to help, well, even the things that feed off corpses live." Hikari said, before standing back up.
"Right, I'll head out to make the trap. I'll keep myself right outside the library entrance, so if you need anything, just give a yell." She said, before turning to exit "And sorry." She said in a softer voice, but one that would still be audible for Alsanna.

"That is one hypothesis." Alsanna claimed, now returning to her set of bodies when tenses seemed to drop. Next on the list was the body with the severed arm, and the rest of his body lacked injuries for the most part, barring a single stab wound behind the head. It was deep enough to make it obvious the brain had been destroyed, ruling out the cause of death. A new surgical mask was put on as she turned to check on Hikari, "Try to catch anything that isn't just some bug and eats meat. Birds too. I want to see how more lively specimens behave." she said, already running her scalpel over the torso half-way through her request.
"M'hm." was the medic's response to the apology. Her attention was solely dedicated to the corpse, and like the other, the intestines were shriveled while the other organs were also drying but remained somewhat consistent with a more recently deceased. The exact same thing happened here. Realizing this, Alsanna took the time to check the bugs in the bowl. When she lifted the cap, the bugs were actually all crawling on the edges, as if avoiding the piece of flesh, "A second possibility," she called out as to let the other hear, "is that somehow the bodies are tainted and most creatures can sense it. The fact that these bodies aren't natural to us too can be our own way to discern the danger. Still …" she pursed her lips behind her mask, with one hand holding the body's chin to rotate the head, "To leave them with such an expression even after a swift death. Yeah, I don't know, this isn't something I've ever seen before."

Hearing the request to catch other animals that don't just eat meat, or potentially birds, Hikari thought about remarking how she basically included every other animal that isn't a bug or meat eater, before deciding to just continue out.
Once outside, she went to the nearest tree, and started picking branches in order to build a makeshift trap. Likely for some kind of small critter, considering there was some forage she could try and use as bait. Finishing work on the cage, she carefully set it up, before covering the bottom part of the cage with some leaves. Looking over the bushes, Hikari realized she didn't know enough about the local flora to be able to tell which was poisoned and which wasn't. So clearly, not the best option if she wanted to bring a live animal back. So instead, she took out one of her rations, grabbed the slice of bread from it, and tore it into smaller pieces, before carefully spreading the bread crumbs over the bottom part of the cage.
Grabbing the string that was attached to the top part, she climbed onto a higher branch of a tree, giving her a top view of the trap, before silently pulling the trap up. Now, it was simply a matter of waiting, and hoping something would be baited.

The darkness was cast back by Nishi's torch. The sounds of her and Yuyuko's boots resonated faintly, echoing briefly with each step. Glancing at the sides, Nishi noticed that the walls were smooth and could possibly allow roughly three adults to walk side to side before they would touch the walls.
Slowing down her calm pace Nishi brought the torch closer to the walls. A soft 'hm' escaped Nishi as she then placed a gloved encased hand. There was nothing but dust lingering against the walls. Shaking her hand, Nishi frowned as if she expected something more.
But no sort of genjutsu, barrier or other obstruction seemed to hamper them.
"Might be the Red Devil's work," Nishi thought out loud, remembering that Yuyuko was present, "that also means they are ahead of us," Nishi added as she continued down the hallway.

The shelves of books suddenly halted as the hallway continued, the dark conjuring more of the odd smooth walls. Once more did Nishi halt. Noticing that the hallway started to gradually descend, the jounin's eyes narrowed.
Debating clearly if she should go back to check if Hikari and Alsanna were doing alright, Nishi lightly shrugged as if someone else was there to question her. Continuing onwards, the woman suddenly gained a sense of dread. A soft sound would herald in the minds of Nishi and Yuyuko, faint but clearly present. The sound of someone whistling.
"That's a warning." Nishi calmly stated, frowning as she weighed their options. There was no sign of the Northerners or anything that gave away that they had encountered a struggle. In a sense, that was a positive. But it also meant that the Red Devil and her team would be able to acquire anything of interest before Nishi or her team could investigate.
Going further, Nishi's pace betrayed her wariness as it was slower and she seemed intent on not making any sound. Holding the torch out in front of her, the darkness would continue to be driven away as she proceeded further. A slight curve appeared in the hallway, indicating that it was turning ever deeper into the content of the earth.
After following the curving descent deeper, the walls seemed to expand outwards, which hinted that they were about to enter a large room. Halting at the opening of the space, Nishi became silent and even gestured to Yuyuko to remain still as well silent.

Only an eerie silence that had been plaguing the space before greeted them. Still waiting a few seconds until she was sure that nothing else was laying in ambush for them, Nishi continued. What she first noticed was that there were signs carved into the ground. Crouching down, she used the light of the torch to see anything that could be off.
The markings had something 'ominous' to them. It was hard to describe for she couldn't comprehend the possible language or runes that were etched into the ground. But it still managed to radiate a certain sensation. A foreboding one, as if it was an evil omen.
"Nothing that indicates it is part of some sort of seal," Nishi remarked as she tried to trace any sort of lines or hints that some sealing was erecting a barrier or other kind of obstacle. The darkness also didn't make her nervous as she peered at it. Redirecting her attention at the markings, the sense of dread returned.
"Odd." She whispered, knocking on the etchings and waiting for something. Nothing.

Yuyuko on her part took a few moments to get used to the darkness to some degree as she carefully used Nishi's light to help illuminate the ground and quickly caught up with her sensei, noting Nishi's comment as she remembered Asami or rather Asami's shadow clone and assumed Nishi meant her. With that, she trudged on at the slow pace as she then saw the sign, and clamped her mouth shut to reduce any noise she might make.
As they continued to explore and check out the place, Yuyuko noted the markings and began to look around as she heard Nishi and then tried to reply as quietly as possible. "umm...I am not sure but is there anything you think I should look for...the markings don't seem to show anything...umm...special...or well."
She said as she carefully gave the area a once over with her eyes.

"They don't?" Nishi frowned as she half turned to the girl. The jounin remained silent for a few seconds as she stared at the girl. "What you should look for," Nishi repeated as she released a heavy sigh afterwards. She gestured with the torch to the area and darkness around them.
"Anything that should indicate what the Northerners did. But you didn't bring a torch or light one," Nishi said, the disappointment clear in her voice as she crouched. Studying the odd symbols and figures on the ground, the meaning was lost on Nishi. But it was the mere presence that caused distress. How? How could such emotions be raised if the meaning wasn't present?
Once more did Nishi's gloved hand move gently across the fine lines on the ground. Pouring some chakra, she waited for a response.

Nothing.

Her lips parted as Nishi threw a look at Yuyuko, clearly intent on saying something. Only to decide against it at the last second.
"Alsanna would find this work probably a lot of fun," the jounin mumbled underneath her breath, as she held out the torch and spoke a bit louder. "Just hold on to this. And try to keep some light present, so that I can do some work here."
Waiting for Yuyuko to follow the simple instructions, Nishi observed several of the markings etched into the ground. It was impossible to say what they had in relation to each other. But then again, perhaps she was starting off wrong? Beckoning Yuyuko to keep up, Nishi walked towards a nearby wall. Once sufficient light was present, Nishi could see a total different set of symbols carved into the stone.

Once more did Nishi knock against the stone, awaiting a sort of reaction.
"No reaction on small surges of chakra. Interesting," Nishi mumbled as she would proceed with a series of handsigns. Finishing with the Rat sign, Nishi attempted to apply a sealing method. From the mere place that she had knocked against, black lines started to surge and surround several of the symbols. Only to brighten up and vanish into nothing.
"It is not a barrier or anything else. Could be a cursed seal," the woman whispered, attempting another try but applying several changes to her handsigns. The black lines started to surface and move in a different motion around. As if they were on the hunt for something to surround and trap. A soft hissing emitted from the wall before the lines lighted up and a sharp snap resonated through the dark space.
"Ominous," Nishi mumbled. Crossing her arms out in front of her chest, Nishi cupped her chin with her left hand, staring at the various symbols. The light just provided enough to witness that the symbols weren't visually connected. But there could be something else that had them connected.

"We are going back," Nishi only stated as she took the torch and started to head back towards where they had left Alsanna and Hikari, the jounin's pace being quite brisque - the only hint that something made Nishi worried about her recent findings.

[ Sevudia ]
[ Team 11 - Team Nishi ]
[ A Collab between @Oetje , @DeliciousFood @Sakayanagi Selko and @Nim, with special guest @Lesli ]

[ The 'Special' Guest has something very much special for the squad. The sinister presence makes itself known, and nothing but misery comes of it. ]

Part 2

The sounds of Nishi's boots resonated with a fierce beat, betraying the woman's pace as she headed back to the room where Hikari and Alsanna had been left. Whistling to catch the attention of her students, Nishi would speak up with a stern tone.
"We are going further. Prepare for the darkness. Well, Yuyuko," Nishi threw a sideways look at the chuunin, "you take this torch. I will light another. Hikari and Alsanna, round up your work."
Handing the torch she had lit before was passed to Takeda. Crouching as she placed her bag on the ground, Nishi worked immediately to light another torch. Hoisting the bag on her back again, Nishi threw a look at the handiwork that was on the ground. The corpses that had been cut open and limbs being sliced off did little to upset Nishi's stomach.

"Anything that I need to know?" Nishi asked, her gaze shifting to the medical operative on the team, "Because if you found anything weird, you are in for another treat down there," the jounin grimly added, pointing to the direction she and Yuyuko came from with her left thumb.

A sense of something suffocating started to roll into the area. The suffocating feeling started to instill a sense of dread and cold, that radiated a certain malice that couldn't be shaken off. Breathing would become much harder as the tangible tension would seek to hold the individuals from team Nishi in their current places.

Hikari finishing her trap would receive the brunt of this sudden shift in the air. The intensity was enough to keep her in one place, the fear refusing to let her do much else beyond breathing and moving her eyesight - as the rest of her body seemed to be frozen and held in a nervous suspense.
A faint sound started, heralding from Hikari's left side. The sound was followed by a mistbank, sweeping and creeping towards the girl. The slow paced sound came again, metal and leather creaking. Each step it repeated itself as the mist thickened.
But it wouldn't thicken enough to mask the presence of something approaching the girl. An individual donned in blackened gear. The design of the protective ornaments being dark, near obsidian, and looking vastly different from anything the Jirian chuunin had seen. Slowly, the individual approached Hikari, the sensation of suffocation and paralyzation becoming stronger.
Reaching the chuunin, a soft femine voice could be heard.
"Tsk, tsk," crouching next to Hikari, the figure would raise a hand - encased in the dreadful black armor - towards its helmet. Lifting the visor that seemed to resemble something warped and twisted, bearing a resemblance to a nightmarish creature that seemed to suffer agony, a pale face stared at Hikari. The smooth complexion seemed to indicate that the armored figure couldn't be older than perhaps twenty. Her lips were blood-red, even providing a sharper contrast alongside the paleness.
The eyes squinted, the expression shifting towards curiosity. Gently, the figure tapped Hikari's shoulder. A smile started to creep on the unknown individual's lips, a certain malice flowing before Hikari's body would start to revolt. A surge of incredible pain moving through with a rapid speed, the intensity bearing the likely intent of shattering her mind.
"Tag, you're it."

Yuyuko on her part did what she could to keep up with Nishi as the two continued investigating the area, the chunin being alert enough to quickly pick up the torch from Nishi as she kept pace. Soon after meeting up with the others, the Chunin keeping one hand on the torch and the other on Fuurai as they left, soon after finding the others and relaxed,preparing to move only to feel the choking sensation as her grip tightened around Fuurai, trying despite the pressure on her head as she tried to discern what was going on, trying to find their attacker. "Sensei… Hikari… Alsanna… anyone, do you… see… anything?" she croaked weakly, looking around worriedly, as best as she could.

Waiting on the branch, the sensation that came over Hikari at first simply made her freeze. Something wasn't right, and her entire body was refusing to listen to her. As a figure approached, making creaking metal noises, Hikari turned her gaze, the only thing she could still move, to observe the armored figure. It was far from anything she expected to see.
Then the pain came. It caused Hikari to lose her balance on the branch and fall down to the ground, landing on her right arm as she seemed to be incapable of controlling the movements of her own body. And yet, she barely felt the pain from her newfound injured arm, as the pain that kept surging through her was overwhelming anything else. As her eyes started tearing from the intense pain, she tried to look in the direction of the library, only she was with her back to it now. As it felt like the pain was intensifying further, she opened her mouth and let out what was probably the loudest scream she ever screamed. She couldn't think of anything. All she wanted was for the pain to stop.

On Alsanna's side, the cadaver investigation went smoothly with the owl-girl holding the torch just far enough to let a dim light illuminate her working space. Hikari had done as she was told and soon after Nishi had returned with Yuyuko to the library's main entrance. A quick glance was conferred to the duo before it dropped back to the task at hand. The bugs she had put into the bowl sought to flee it all the more, growing more agitated despite fatigue the longer they were inside. She didn't answer Nishi right away, taking her time to stand, removing her surgical mask and gloves, and giving a final passing glance to her work station.
"Riveting. But, yes, a few things of note. Notably, as you can see they lack s-" as she was about to summarize her findings like it was clockwork, she'd feel it too. The bird-girl did first, in a way, as would most creatures that could sense just how foul such a presence had to be to do this to the corpses. Alsanna froze, her eyes widened just a tad with her pupils shifting about as if she were paranoid over something. It got a little colder. Then came the blood curdling scream, one only comparable to those in agonizing hospice care in the medical tents. Even Alsanna grew a little paler to that sound, with her hairs extending out and her stomach turning for the first time in a long time. No longer was she paralyzed, as her head swiftly turned to the exit.
The medic wordlessly trotted out of the building, her parasol already conjured and her guard raised. The nearby cyto-clone followed in tow while the owl stayed inside, "Shit." she cursed under her breath upon seeing Hikari, "Should actually watch y-" her first deduction was fallacious as best, assuming she had fallen and gotten hurt, but it obviously made little to no sense. Eyebrows furrowed, with a light step taken backwards before she'd form a single hand sign while keeping her weapon on hand. Her ability to glance into one's being, get a glimpse of their physical characteristics, internal and external, via a small and barely noticeable shockwave was the course she took. And there she could already correlate the current phenomenon with a finding. Hikari's chakra lines were being unnaturally tugged and stressed, and this effect reverberated throughout her body in a way that almost looked like some form of epilepsy. But her brain was fine. Her nerves, while certainly flaring, were overall fine. Her organs were fine. That wound was not causing this cry of agony. It kept Alsanna unnervingly quiet.
For a brief moment she was just there, attempting to assess the situation. Of course, before anyone else could get close to the suffering blonde, she'd call out "Don't touch her." she ordered, her idle hand emphasizing the order, "Keep her still, but do not touch her." the initial shock had given way to an adamant focus, as a senbon from her back pouch was drawn, and her Juinjutsu-brand of purple-like aura coated it. She was going to hurl the need into Hikari's calf, attempt to make her with a Cyto-clone, and see just what horrid thing would come out of it, if anything at all.

Nishi awaited the report of Alsanna. But when the shift came out of nowhere, Nishi's eyes widened and her lips slightly parted. Only for her body to freeze as the developments seemed to prevent her from doing anything. Near immediately did Nishi attempt to twist her head as she wanted to throw a look from the direction they came from.
Then Hikari's scream pierced the air as the hair on the back of Nishi's neck rose. Without wasting a breath, the jounin moved the mere moment she felt the odd suffocation ebb away.
Allowing Alsanna to move out first, Nishi waited and then proceeded to leave the cave. Wary of an ambush and judging how the corpses had been laid out on the ground, it was evident that the woman suspected multiple assailants to swoop down on them.
The fact that nobody or nothing came to attack them made Nishi immediately turn on her heels and jog towards the location of Hikari's screaming.

No word escaped Nishi's lips but her expression hardened upon seeing her pupil in pain. Only a subtle nod was returned as answer to Alsanna's instruction, despite both having their attention on the pained girl.
Pondering for a mere second, Nishi crouched as her hands shot together. Weaving the necessary signs to activate her chakra, Nishi focused intently on the respective technique. Finishing the streak of hand signs, the jounin placed the palm of her hand on the ground. Within two seconds of the motion, the ground around Hikari would slowly and almost gently start to wrap around the compulsing chuunin. Leaving clear openings within the strips of earth, Nishi spoke up.
"She never did this before." Nishi stated, only to remember something. Throwing a look at Yuyuko, Nishi continued. "Takeda. Go back to the entrance, check if nothing comes out of the cave. If it does, alert us." The jounin stated, only to refocus her attention back on Hikari.

"Sshh," the femine voice sounded. The voice came from close but it was foggy for Hikari to locate the voice's origin. "Don't resist. It will just become worse. Way worse, actually," a playful tone could be detected as it remained silent for Hikari. Only for the clicking of a tongue, the sound loaded with disappointment repeating itself thrice.
"How frustrating. I am just trying to work here with what I got." The voice seemed to be softer, as if the origin was mumbling. Only for a much sharper pain to go through Hikari. "Stop fighting back, love. I am just trying to start something here." The words seemed disappointed, only for more flares of intense pain following - yet refusing to let Hikari sink in a blissful darkness.
While unable to hear what was going on 'outside', Hikari would be able to hear a soft humming from the femine voice.

Hikari couldn't register the arrival of Alsanna or Nishi. She didn't notice the earth that wrapped around her. All she felt was the pain, and heard the voice that spoke to her. That femine voice that seemed to have no origin.
Only humming came as Hikari's scream grew louder, the pain intensifying all around her body. She kept wanting to kick this pain, this voice out. But the pain was too overwhelming.

Nothing came of the senbon, and it even seemed like the internal pain completely trumped the stabbing caused by the needle. An easy deduction would be that the cursed chakra was drained before it could even take form, which left one wondering just how long Hikari would have before being drained like all the others. These unfortunate results prompted Alsanna to grit her teeth. She then gestured for the idle flesh-clone to go in and merely set its hands upon the ailing Hikari. Given it was actually fleshy, more so than a clone, perhaps it could lead to some insight as to how the process decomposed chakra.
"I'm going to have to sedate her, if we can't find anything." she said, biting her lower lip, "Nishi, can you turn her in any way to see if there's a mark on her? Anything." she threw a gaze to her superior, expressing her concern over the situation, before she reached for a bottle with purple fluid within from her messenger bag.

Moulding her chakra, Nishi would oblige to Alsanna's request. The strips of earth would gently attempt to move Hikari from one side to another. The trembling didn't make the work easy but Nishi managed.
"I can't see anything." Nishi remarked as she peered at Hikari, looking for any possible signs or marks. There was no point of entry for any wound either. No sign of blood flowing out of a cut or stab.
"Sedate her," Nishi instructed as she attempted to keep Hikari's body still without causing any possible damage.

As the events unfolded, Yuyuko could only look on in horror as she watched the events unfold, almost cursing her helplessness only to realise the effect that has previously plagued her is gone as Nishi gave out her instructions for Yuyuko. "Right away Sensei."
The chunin says as she hurries to the entrance she and Nishi were at drawing Fuurai and readying it in one hand while holding the torch at the other ready to shout and attack if anything were to so much as show up from the cave,not sure what else she could do and praying that the others can help cure Hikari.

The humming halted, replaced by a heavy sigh. "I can't work with this all going on." The voice spoke, though it was unsure if it was just thinking out loud or responding to Hikari's struggles. "But I got what I need. You have been a real help, my dear," the voice became honeyed as it informed Hikari of a rapid change. The pain flowed away as a different pain surfaced.
On the branch where Hikari had been before, a small form started to come into existence. The form seemed to be in a gaseous form, with dark tints of purple and black being dominant. Within mere seconds from becoming visible, the small condensed form of gas would start to give form to a young woman. Her legs dangled from the edge as she sat on the branch. Her attire being similar to Hikari's, only sporting the darker tints of colors. Red lips curled up in a mischievous smile as the pale-complexion brought out the woman's lips and eyes. The dark eyes narrowed in delight as the young woman leaned slightly forwards.
"I tried to help her. But she seemed a bit clumsy," the mysterious woman informed Nishi and Alsanna, gesturing with a simple nod to Hikari. The accent of the woman was strange, betraying that Taika wasn't her first language. "But how about we drop the hostilities and have a nice chat? Hm? Alsanna and Nishi?"

Neither dead nor Alive

As the voice spoke some more, Hikari didn't quite understand what she was meaning. What was going on? All she felt was-
Within a moment, the voice spoke again, and seemed to vanish, and along with it the intense pain. Only to feel her right arm ache quite a bit, but it was nothing in comparison to the pain she just experienced. Noticing she can't move from the spot, she blinked a few times to get her vision to focus a bit more. She started to hear a voice speak from above, and glancing in the direction, Hikari managed to make out a figure sitting where she was before.
And the voice was exactly the same as she heard in her mind. Fixing her sight on the woman, Hikari called out "What did you do?"

No marks, nothing. Things were getting desperate. Alsanna was just about ready to step in and be a little more hands-on despite the risks. But as she got closer, the parasitic entity opted to emerge from Hikari's body, going from amorphous to something tangible. And familiar. The medic stopped in her tracks and dedicated her attention to the shadowy entity. The initial surprise had worn off, as the dots were now connected and this creature was an oddly fitting piece to this disconcerting puzzle. Palpitating Murmurs revealed the nature of its body too, something even sorrier than the corpses it had supposedly left behind. Medically, this thing should be dead, and yet here it was.
Alsanna's right hand was still grasping her parasol's handle, while the other clenched the opposite tip. Her eyes were now half-lidded, hardly a squint, as she examined the monstrosity, "It took a few things from you. Most notably, your great sense of style." sardonic as ever, her gaze did not relent from the threat, "Don't let it get close to you, Nishi. Of all of us, you shouldn't be compromised." the medic then exhaled from her nose, before taking another deep breath, "You know our names. If we're to have a chat," briefly, she'd peer down into her folded umbrella and nodding ever so subtly, "you should tell us yours, first."

Locking her sight on the unknown entity, Nishi's lips formed a thin line on her features. The jounin remained silent as the first exchanges were swapped between them and the unknown entity. Rising from her crouched stance, Nishi whistled softly.
"I am aware. But it took Hikari by surprise, judging how things went here." Nishi spoke up, briefly ignoring the presence of the entity. "A nice chat would be great. But is that all? I can't let people just come by and molest my subordinates. That would be quite the bad image if I let that slip by." Nishi replied. Her head tilted slightly to the side as her hands were placed on her hips.
"Perhaps if we come to an agreement, we can suspend the hostilities." Nishi continued, her tone awfully friendlier than usual.

"What I did," the unknown woman peered back at Hikari, the expression turning sour. Raising her index briefly, only to point it downwards to Hikari, the woman spoke further. "Meeting a most unpleasant person. But it is alright." The stern and disappointing tone seemed to vanish as the woman directed her attention at Alsanna and Nishi.
"It is true. I should share my name. But you seem to know curses," the woman's left eyebrow perked up slightly. "It isn't a wise thing to share the likes of names with an expert on curses. Or with someone that is quite good in murdering. And also seals." The woman turned her attention to Nishi, only to seem saddened suddenly.
"I do find it a shame. I wish I could learn more from my interaction with your rude pupil. Maybe I should pay a visit to her family. Just making sure that someone pays for this sort of rude behavior." The woman stated as she then flashed a warm smile. "But alright, an exchange. What do you propose?"

As the chaos was ensuing, it took a good deal of yuyuko's fortitude and will power to ensure she would not look back due to the job she had to do, the worries of what is going on bouncing left and right like ping ping balls. However as things continued, much to Yuyuko relief,she heard Hikari's screams get softer as she relaxed slightly, taking a few glances back to see. After deciding and debating back and forth in her mind, Yuyuko relaxes slightly noting the entity and sheathed Fuurai in it's sheath and headed back cautiously watching as she whispered to Nishi. "Nothing of note, Nishi sensei. I noted what was going on and came over to check" she said as she rests a hand on the hilt of Fuurai cautiously.

Hearing the voices of Alsanna and Nishi, Hikari turned to look at them briefly. So they were what that figure meant when she mentioned more going on. Seeing Nishi rise, the blonde chuunin felt that the earth restraints around her started giving in, letting her sit up slowly as she checked her aching arm.
Remaining still, Hikari's gaze moved to the figure "If you poked so much around my head, then you probably figured by now that most things I know are useless." She said, keeping her sight on them "So much speculation and barely anything concrete!"

Alsanna nodded, "You're right, that'd be a bad idea," pursing her lips, something had brought the Chuunin to relent on her stance, passing her parasol over her shoulder while her idle hand met her hip, "if you weren't a corpse. I'm not even sure you can be cursed. Or even hurt." she spoke as if she were thinking out loud, but her eyes were still completely focused on the odd being that it was clear she wanted to be heard, "My, my would I love to see what makes you tick." she smiled.
With Yuyuko's arrival, Alsanna briefly moved her pupils to give the third wheel a passing glance before keeping her attention on what mattered. Slowly, the chuunin brought her hand to her own chest, conspicuously marking herself with the same curse she sought to mark the possessed Hikari with, "But, yes, I am Alsanna. Enchanted." then came the little bow, just barely more than a courteous nod.

Nishi threw a sideways look at Yuyuko, just nodding as the current exchange was more pressing. What Alsanna brought up made Nishi slightly confused. A corpse? Then suddenly Nishi's eyes widened. The reports of various threatening entities had brought the similar description: walking corpses of some sort.
"You threw a senbon at it before. Or well, Hikari," Nishi said, her eyes narrowing. "I want to try something. If anything, this is easily something I can't fight with ease. Best if we lure it somewhere with more space. Open space," the jounin informed the two chuunin near her with a softer voice.
"How about you inform us what you know about this place. Then we can share something we know with you. That sounds fair to establish a neutral start between us, doesn't it?" Nishi suggested, although beckoning Hikari to come over, "So, what do you say?"

Once more the unknown woman threw a look at Hikari, not hiding her boredom with the girl. "Really? You make it too easy. No challenge at all. But go, scurry to your leader. I will allow it, as a gesture of gratitude for allowing me to have a peek." Raising a hand to perform some dismissive waving at Hikari, the woman turned her gaze to the three other Jirians.
"What do I know about this place? Plenty. But I need to know something, to value how much I could tell you. If your little pet is correct, you are quite someone not to underestimate. Well, among other things. But I won't bring such thoughts to life."
Throwing a look at Alsanna, the woman started to smile. "I like you. Alsanna," letting the name roll from her tongue, the tone radiating a certain amusement. "Say, Alsanna," the woman leaned slightly forwards, "I know a trade. I will tell you all what I know. If I can," a grin spread further on the woman's features as her gaze went to someone's sword.
"Have Takeda's sword! You see," straightening her back, the woman went on, "I forgot my own. Quite silly, I am aware. But still!"

Looking between Alsanna, Nishi and that figure as the exchange went on, she did notice the beckoning from Nishi, before the figure decided to allow her to go back to her leader. Standing up, she held her injured right arm steady with her left, before heading back to Nishi. She figured she had nothing else she could say right now, at least to that figure, that would help.
As she arrived at Nishi's, she kept her back towards the figure for a moment "When she got in my mind, she looked different. Armoured." She whispered to Nishi and Alsanna, before turning back to look at the figure "Think I cracked my arm, if not worse." She said, with a glance to Alsanna.

First came Nishi's input and potential stratagem. Alsanna merely nodded at the idea, still determined to keep the star of this scene in her line of sight. Her features had since softened, her focus far less evident despite the persistent fixation. As much as she tried to sell that she was relaxed, however, the tense posture she held kept her real mindset evident, "Think you can keep it in one, specific place, Nishi? Very specific?" she briefly shot a gaze toward Hikari, and then to Yuyuko, before returning her attention where it mattered, with a voice that matched the others' to keep some degree of discretion, "This thing killed over a dozen in a single strike each. Any shot you have to do that, take it."
The medic then chuckled at the suggestion, shaking her head and slightly lowering it before turning herself slightly toward Yuyuko. A mere 45 degree angle pivot with her pupils directed to the swordsman of the team. She tend extended her arm and kept her palm flat, "You heard the lady. Surrender that piece of junk, Takeda. She's so graciously offering us intelligence, and even cleared the area of loitering soldiers." she smiled toward Yuyuko, "Although, it isn't like you need a sword to do what you gotta do, huh?" slowly, she turned her head back to the supposed corpse with a cheeky grin on her face and her eyes half-lidded, making it clear that final comment was addressed to the menacing entity.
Then, she closed her eyes and exhaled from her nostrils, "It's a minor fracture. Most likely. Not exactly the time to dress minor wounds." although despite that answer, she'd use her idle hand to toss a little vial half-filled with a transparent liquid, "Small sedative, only if it hurts that much."

"She did?" Nishi replied as Hikari shared something with the team. Keeping her attention fixed on the woman, Nishi was certain then what they were dealing with.
"Shit. I can try." Nishi softly replied, flexing the fingers of her right hand slowly. An itch started to become apparent. "If I am not mistaken, this is a Vrykyl. I received a briefing about these things before." Nishi elaborated, her nerves refusing to be easily calmed down. "This is going to be tough. It can leech chakra. One way to beat it is to pound it literally to beyond repair. Physically."
Which Nishi didn't favour either. Pondering on their options, she had one technique in mind that could perhaps aid them.
"To be honest, I think flight is our best option. But I doubt it will let us. If anything, I need you three to buy me some time."

On Yuyuko's part, the exchange was something she at least did not have too much of a concern for as Nishi and whatever that was begun to barter with each other, Yuyuko looking on worriedly but at least with some relief as the thing was not harming Hikari like before. At least for now and with the team together, it all seemed to be going fine...except then came the pitch which Yuyuko could only shake her head while taking a moment to process it, well at least hopefully her arguing would help buy time for Nishi.
"Absolutely not, I can understand not being armed and the pitch, But Alsanna, rude, calling Fuurai a piece of junk, he has a name and is not some stupid toy you buy in a gift shop…" she said glaring daggers at Alsanna but her voice was luckily not as fierce as the previous time before she turned to address the entity. "but why on earth do you need Fuurai...i mean my sword when you can loot any sword from one of the dead soldiers, hell, i would even help you find the best looking one from the lot." came Yuyuko's response showing that while.she knew the danger, her love for Fuurai was still something that ensured she would hesitste giving it up,despite Fuurai being as some would call it, a piece of junk as her eyes glanced at Nishi while the hand that rested on Fuurai tried to move to a pouch as the chunin contemplated trying to find an explosive tag and attaching it to Fuurai to in a sense make good on her comment the previous time, even if it meant breaking Fuurai herself.
"So...Sensei, what do you think on this" Yuyuko said but with a slight sense of dread as she fully expected Nishi to tell her to do exactly as Alsanna said as the girl continued to try to rummage for the explosive tag.

Watching with no hint of wariness or worry how Hikari went back to her team, the Vrykyl's lips curled upwards in a warm smile. Placing her hands at the branch at both her sides, the Vrykyl slightly leaned forward. "I can do a lot of things. Fun things," a wink followed by the statement, "but, I like to use swords. Of course, I could bring one of my own or scavenge one. But that is so un-lady like." The Vrykyl pursed her lips as she just finished replying to Alsanna, only to catch the response of Yuyuko.
The warm smile quickly eroded as the lips curled downwards, visibly displaying the Vrykyl's displeasure. "I asked nicely. I didn't threaten any of you." The voice of the Vrykyl shifted, becoming loaded with a growing anger. "I would even allow you to tend to your friend. It clearly seems she could use some aid."
The Vrykyl paused, the discontent evident in her body language as well. Without any hint of effort, the Vrykyl dropped from the branch and landed with a certain cat-like grace on the ground. Dusting herself off, the Vrykyl fixed her attention on Team Nishi again.
"Tsk tsk. Options, options." The gaze of the Vrykyl shifted slowly between the present Jirians. "I think I am going to take it. My style anyways. You can't claim you are amazing if you don't try to hamper yourself now and then, to overcome this sort of challenge. Well, aside from just wearing a mask, no offense." The Vrykyl stated, performing a rather subtle waving at Yuyuko at the end of her reply.
"Shame that none of you could be a fun test for my favorite fields. Actually," her tone became serious as well pointing towards Alsanna, "heal Hikari. If I am going to have to fight you four, I prefer it is a fair fight. Or well, as fair as it is for an adult to smack around three toddlers and one teen."

"Vrykyl." Alsanna repeated Nishi's words, loud enough so that everyone could hear. She nodded to everything else their leader had to say, although her gaze would be captured by Yuyuko and her objections. An exhale of frustration escaped the medic as her posture remained stiff yet lacking in the initial guard, "Listen, idiot, there's a reason she wants your sword, and it's not because it's good or special. So just-" she stopped herself, head tilting slightly before she returned her gaze to the branch-hanging entity.
Time was being gained, and information was being processed by the team's medic. Solutions needed to be found quickly, because this creature would stop playing with its food. And then came a grace, a mild respite to this volatile moment. When the suggestion was made, she immediately turned and lowered herself enough to tend to Hikari's arm. No medical ninjutsu, all standard but effective. From her messenger bag came all the necessary tools, and after a quick diagnosis, she'd say the following, "Sprained wrist, your arm's fine, just bruised." her voice was kept discreet, and then reduced to a whisper as she tended away, "Nishi has a plan. I do too." ointment to help with the pain and accelerate healing, bandages to make sure it penetrated the skin and shielded the painful area, and the sedative could be kept by Hikari if it still hurt, "If she attempts what she did to you, Takeda's the one we want. No hesitation. No fear. This thing is as apex as it gets." she took her time while making it look like progress was being made quickly. Those hands moved fast.
When the task was done, Alsanna peered backward toward the library, "Either in there, or on the hills, Nishi. Your choice." she muttered, her voice still kept to a minimum. Although she then conferred a glance to the undying monstrosity, "Why did you kill these men over there?"

As Nishi started coming up with a plan, Yuyuko's insistence on treating the piece of metal that was her sword as a person was starting to irritate Hikari. Then the Vrykyl, as Nishi put it, allowed Alsanna to heal her, and Hikari paid careful attention as she kept her gaze fixed on the creature.
"No qualms from me, but one issue. None of us saw how she did it. Not even me. And trust me, I know very well how much of a predator this thing can be." She whispered back to Alsanna, after she watched her treat her sprained wrist quickly and efficiently.
Glancing at Yuyuko, she thought of saying something about her continued resistance, before her thoughts went to what Alsanna just asked. Wasn't this creature allied with them? And yet, there was no doubt in her mind that if it wanted or needed any of them dead, then it would've already gone for it. Fixing her gaze back on the Vrykyl, she thought on what she knew. What did she know that those dead soldiers wouldn't have.
Staying behind Alsanna, Hikari started to ponder on something "I think this is a trap, but not for us. If it was after us, then it could've probably killed me before you ever reached me. It wanted to confirm who else got here." She whispered, trying to keep herself only audible to Alsanna and Nishi.

The hairs on the back of Nishi's neck started to rise as the Vrykyl moved from the branch. As far as Nishi could see, this situation was heading to a confrontation now - no matter what they would do. The arrogance of their foe, insisting that Hikari should be patched up, did little to comfort Nishi. When Alsanna questioned where they should engage the strange foe, Nishi felt a shiver going down her spine.
"Inside," the jounin decided as she replied softly. Sucking briefly on the inside of her left cheek, Nishi then spoke up a bit louder.
"I frankly don't care," Nishi replied to Yuyuko's question and her fretting about a sword, her gaze still fixed on the Vrykyl. "Give that sword, don't give that sword. We already pissed it off." The jounin already worked on part of her plan. The issue was that she doubted the Vrykyl would allow her to make handsigns. "But I do wonder. Why not let these kids go? Just fight me. If they aren't around, I can go all out. If you prefer a challenge, that should suit you. And I would prefer to keep these brats alive."

Yuyuko on her part was more hesitant about handing Fuurai over which was the root of her objection unless being told to by Nishi, granted she never liked that to begin with but then begun to question if her objections was correct as the creature had apparently not appreciated her answer as then came the change in hostility. However there was not much that can be done as the chunin's hand begin to tightened on Fuurai's grip but on Yuyuko's part, the Vrykrl caused her to shiver as she heard it make a comment directed at more towards her
"how did..." she started before pausing and trying not to think about how it knew of Yuyuko's own previous obsession but then now, she was not sure what to do as she knew it was her fault for not wanting to give up Fuurai but at the same time, she hated the thought of her sword being used by someone else, however as she had no plan and she knew some sacrifice is needed, she then called out
"Miss...perhaps we got off on the wrong foot but Fuurai here was a bit of a gift from my parents and in some ways a brother to me, hence why I said what I said. But...if at least to bring this conversation to a friendlier one or perhaps be more amicable so we all can leave on friendly terms…" she then looked away biting her lip as she hated having to say this, partially hoping the creature would just let them go alive as the creature might notice her lip bleeding from the visible anger of even considering it, as though she was sacrificing a brother for her own life
"I will give you Fuurai…. no tricks, with only a request that you take care of him and use him well.." granted her words when she said well felt very forced as tho she was being forced at sword point to give it up, but whatever the case, since she did felt responsible for calling it, she felt she needed to at least try to resolve it peacefully, at least without having the team fight it out with the whatever that thing was.

"I would relish the challenge. Judging from what I could delve from your brat, you seem competent." The Vrykyl told Nishi, a playful smile crossing the being's lips. "But, I see no reason to let your critters run amok and be a nuisance later. Cause, they always become a nuisance." Shrugging casually, the entity seemed to ready itself with rolling her shoulders and stretching with no hint of worry.
"Don't even bother," the foe informed Yuyuko. "I am going to likely let you swing it. Then I will stab you with the same blade. Irony and art, all combined." The Vrykyl joyfully said as she straightened her back, her hands folded together as she finished her last stretch.
"Alright. Know what? I feel generous. I already let you guys patch up Hikari girl over there. We are cool right?" The Vrykyl winked at Hikari, performing even a gesture of a thumbs up towards the respective chuunin. "Being super close for a moment and all that. I will maybe miss you after I am going to hang you with Alsanna's entrails."
Turning more serious, the Vrykyl raised her right hand slightly. The cold of before sprang back, more intense than before. The cold seemed to make the bright day even darker as if the entity was suffocating the light around them and keeping it to herself.

"Great." Alsanna replied to Hikari's input on the lack of information regarding the Vrykyl's ability, although she didn't bother to express too much frustration. That would go to Nishi, earning a disapproving glare from the medic when martyrdom became a subject to consider. Although no pleading from either Yuyuko or Nishi would quell the flame started by the vile persecutor of the situation. It was going to attack, no matter what they did. The more that undead expressed verbal cues that it was coming for them, the faster Alsanna's heart beat, until her name was once again mentioned. There, her parasol was held as if it were a rifle and aimed it at the base of the tree.
"Here it comes." she announced, before firing off a ball of explosives from the tip of her parasol, letting it land like a cannon-ball onto the tree's trunk, obliterating a part of it and leaving it to burn, though the main use of it was the smokescreen that came with it, "And inside we go." she said as she immediately ninja-hopped backwards as quickly as she could, while ensuring there was at least someone between her and the beast. Whether it was out of self-preservation or the right strategy, it was hard to tell. Luckily they weren't too far from the entrance, "This thing killed every one of these fucks in one hit. Don't try to go head-on, even if it seems vulnerable." Alsanna's light pant was audible as she spoke, and given she hadn't really exerted herself, it could tell magnitudes as to how disconcerted this scholar was to what she was dealing with.

The talk was over. And as such, Nishi's hands shot towards each other. Weaving the required handsigns, she would stomp on the ground with her right boot. In mere seconds, the terrain started to shift to form four walls around the Vrykyl, briefly and hopefully hampering whatever it was attempting.
"One-hit?" Nishi grumbled, not really sounding excited by that prospect. Her right hand shot towards her tanto while moving back with a short skid - putting herself between the Vrykyl and the medic of her team.

Keeping a watch on the ongoing developments, Hikari saw the Vrykyl start to act, before Alsanna quickly reacted with her parasol, followed by Nishi's earth walls. Runnin next to Nishi, Hikari took out a pair of kunai and some string, tying them together, before throwing them at the ground right next to Nishi's earth wall. It was very simplistic, but she hoped that maybe, a simple tripwire could earn them even an extra second. Plus it didn't rely on chakra.
Heading inside, Hikari had a thought in mind as to what they could possibly do, although it was a risky plan, and one that could end up being very bad for the Northerner team.

At the movements of the others, Yuyuko returned to her original stance, holding the torch for earlier and Fuurai each in separate hands ready to take a position between part of the team where Hikari was with the Vrykyl and Nishi on the other when the chunin saw that Alsanna attacked first with her parasol firing a blast that destroyed the supporting branch their attacker was on, as the two made a dash for the entrance of the cave as, the chunin decided to ditch the torch and position her self behind Nishi a short distance away from her sensei and from the entrance as with fact the Vrykyl quite literally read her mind about her mask despite making no mention of it, she figured it was pointless to feint any sort of ignorance and instead watch Nishi's back and try not to slow her sensei down. " Sensei, let me help back you up, this is partially my fault and don't want to make anymore stupid mistakes."
She said as with her now free hand, she reached into her pouch to take out 3 to 4 kunais with explosive tags on them ready to throw it at the Vrykyl should it break out of the stone confinement and whether it was affected by Hikari's own trap, granted she made sure to focus her thoughts on trying to stay alive and on how to break off the engagement together Nishi once they have bought enough time for Alsanna and Hikari to be in a safe place...well as safe as that cave could be anyway.

The Vrykyl didn't even move as Alsanna initiated the first counter-attack. The walls, conjured by Nishi, combined with the smokescreen from Alsanna's attack was enough to acquire a moment of reprieve.
Only for the cold to snap back and the light to diminish further. A faint echoing laughter would ring through the minds of Team Nishi. The words that followed were soft but some could be picked up by Hikari.
All of a sudden, the ground trembled slightly, only for tendrils made out of some dark material attempting to wrap around the limbs of the Jirian operatives.

They had safely retreated with little retaliation from the Vrykyl. A potential moment of respite that Alsanna used to reload her parasol, while her blue gaze remained fixed on the exit. The fixation would leave her open for a surprise when seismic activity would come to be with the laughter of the creature echoed what felt like everywhere by the fact that it only truly reverberated in every team member's mind. Then came the appendages. Out of reflex, Alsanna snapped her fingers together to force one of her previously applied self-marks to push out a cyto-clone in an attempt to have it encumber some of the tentacles. With hopefully one arm unimpeded, she'd then use the blade that pushed out of the tip of her umbrella to hack at the rest. Yes, it was quite sharp.
"Fuck! Should've given the fucking sword!" a half-hearted attempt to keep her cool, her focus was directed at multiple things as she did her best to avoid a tentacular demise. The clone itself, should the appendages drain chakra, would 'melt' upon being sucked, but unlike other clones, the process wasn't immediate and still made for an obstacle a bit longer than usual.

The fact that Yuyuko dropped the torch in an underground library made Nishi twist her head, throwing a look at the chuunin. Before the jounin could respond, her eyes widened by hearing the ominous laughter in her mind.
Wanting to spring to action, Nishi felt the ground tremble. In a reaction, the jounin moved away, only to have a tendril wrap itself around her left arm. Flipping the tanto, the jounin drove the tip of the blade in the appendage, intending to rip it apart to free herself as she noticed that it became darker.
"Fuck."

Continuing to run at Nishi's side, Hikari felt a shiver go over her as the laughter was heard, followed by something that she understood was basically taunting. But before she could say anything, the tentacles came out, with a pair launching themselves right at her.
Drawing her tanto, she stuck the blade in one of the tentacles, only for the other one to grab a hold of her right leg "Damnit. She's taunting us and now this." Hikari said, before taking the blade out of the tentacle she struck.
As the light continued to dim around them, she looked around "Nishi, I think we might need to turn the light up a bit. I can make one, but I need a moment of freedom" Hikari asked, hoping the jounin would understand.

Yuyuko when she noticed the look from Nishi took a moment to wonder if she had screwed up as the chunin had probably not thought too far ahead but sadly, there was no time to think as the shakes from the ground along with the faint echo of laughter in her mind, causing the chunin to shiver slightly while she kept her pace with the others. "Oh darn it" Yuyuko cursed as when the tentacles burst out, she made a move to stab one that was away from the others she did not accidentally stab the others,however as she did, like Nishi's own tentacle, it darkened as Yuyuko became more and more worried as she spoke up.
"Could I also suggest using my seal,hopefully I can distract the creature and blow a way out before disengaging, if that helps since I should be able to keep it going for a short while before needing to disengage." she said as a suggestion for Nishi to consider since Yuyuko had the option to begin with.

The tendrils seemed not capable of resisting steel as the weapons sliced through it. The cyto-clone of Alsanna would become wrapped, as more tendrils started to seek it out. Gradually, the creation started to appear melting as chakra seemed to drain from it.
The sound of something slithering resonated in the mind of the Jirians, only for more tendrils to shoot out of their surroundings in an attempt to constrict the shinobi as well drain them from chakra.
"Go ahead. I want to see what you all can do." The voice of the Vrykyl sounding in the minds of the Jirians, the tone clearly mocking the shinobi. "So far, I am far from impressed."

With confirmation that chakra was being drained from anything touching them, Alsanna began to look in every direction she could. Evidently with the lack of lighting, it made tracking a challenge, although some options remained, "Do NOT do that, Takeda, you ape." she barked out in a dry, almost resentful tone, "Hack away and don't get killed. You can't even remember what Nishi said." Alsanna kept herself closer to Nishi, as to relegate most of the tendril-slicing to her and ease the burden on the medic of the squad. She needed to think.
Just as she had done with Hikari, Alsanna took a glimpse into the tentacles she was close enough to see, sliced or otherwise. Because they came from the earth, it was difficult to follow their entire form, but she could potentially see enough to get a general sense of where the Vrykyl had roosted to spawn so many tendrils. Perhaps with some lighting, those blue, focused eyes could stake out some details and get off this defeatingly defensive predicament, "How's that lighting coming, Hikari?" she asked in a slightly more discreet voice, dedicating her gaze to the blonde and striking some appendages that may interrupt what she was doing, now that lighting was a priority.

Hacking away at the tendrils, Nishi ignored the voice in her mind. Almost instinctively, the woman stretched out as well, positioning herself between the emerging tendrils from the Vrykyl and Alsanna.
"Go ahead," Nishi responded to Hikari as she would keep the defence ongoing. "Try to slowly fall back." The jounin ordered, cursing softly as a tendril wrapped around her arm. Managing to slice through the tendril, Nishi was already forced to deal with another that tried to bypass her to have a go at the chuunin.

Alsanna came asking for the light, and only afterwards she got a brief confirmation from Nishi, before hearing the order. Hikari first stabbed the tentacle that had a grasp over her leg, before beginning to step backwards. Glancing at Alsanna, Hikari made a soft whistle "I need my hands, catch." She said, before tossing her tanto to Alsanna. Quickly taking out the spare torch she had in her bag, Hikari put it under her armpit.
Forming three seals, Hikari would form a small ball of fire above her finger tips. Upon unmaking the tiger seal, she quickly grabbed the torch and touched the tip of the torch with the ball of fire, before the small fire dissolved into nothing "There, light!" She said.

While the events were playing out, Yuyuko winces as she heard the voice on her head, the effects being rather pressuring but luckily, the chunin did not fall for the taunt as she heard Alsanna's remark, as the chunin after using a good few moments to gauge the distance was able to make good work on the tendrils thanks to Fuurai's reach. "Right, right."
The chunin said as she moved to position herself near Alsanna and Nishi but just outside of Fuurai so she does not harm them but enough such that she could assist them with her weapon.
Then as Hikari used her chakra to create the ball of fire, Yuyuko turned slightly to ensure the light will not blind her and help her keep an eye on the attacking Vrykyl, ready to respond to any orders Nishi might give.

Suddenly, the tendrils retreated as the gloomy darkness that tried to suffocate the light vanished. Only at the exit of the library, the darkness seemed to stay strong. A laugh softly echoed through the mind of the Jirians, once more the words spoken in Rén, the accent being vastly different from the Qinjings.

Hikari's whistling did good in its role to get Alsanna's attention. Her idle hand quickly seized the tanto and made good use of it to give Hikari adequate cover while she lit up the place. When the lighting improved, the blade was tossed back with a light warning, giving time for Hikari to gather her bearings, or at least sheath the blade, "Hmmm. Yeah. Not like we can be anymore cornered than we already are." exhaling from her nostrils, the scholar gave a deep, focused glance to the mass of darkness at their only exit from this cavernous library. No attempt was made to even experiment with it, the results so far had all been the same, and this did not appear to promise an exception.
Being the one furthest back, she dictated the pace, which was slow but not sluggish. Her head was turned to frequently peer behind her while the ball of flame provided enough visibility to allow for smooth maneuvering, "Nishi," she kept her voice discreet, "think you can keep that think locked in someone longer than twenty seconds if it happens again?" she inquired, keeping herself close to the Jonin. Then came the new-speak, and immediately the medic's gaze diverted itself toward Hikari, "Sounded a little like our ex-captors, no?"

Not immediately sheathing her weapon, Nishi glanced at the wall of eerie darkness. But it seemed that their foe didn't venture further. Catching on what Alsanana said, Nishi replied in kind - with a barely audible volume.
"I can and will, yeah." Nishi said as their opponent didn't go on with the harassment that they had to repel before. Half turning, Nishi looked at the only way that they could take now. "Seems that we have to venture there. I already have an idea what we can do." Nishi announced, on a normal volume.
Throwing a look at her team, Nishi spoke further. "We are going in a formation. Hikari, you at the front. Alsanna afterwards and I will cover the rear with Yuyuko."
Gesturing for Hikari to continue, into the other direction, further into the odd location, Nishi spoke again. "I tried to investigate the place up ahead. It seemed devoid of any dangers. Although there are symbols etched into the ground. Oddly enough," Nishi threw a glance at Alsanna, "they seem to lack any construct or semblance to seals. Yet, they radiate a certain ominous presence. It is very weird."

Catching the tanto with her free hand, Hikari initially kept it as steady as she could, only to watch as the tendril and darkness seemed to stay back. Keeping her tanto drawn, she slightly lowered it, as she heard Alsanna make the remark about being cornered. When the voice came into their mind, Hikari couldn't make out entirely what was being said, but the tone helped Hikari understand that they were essentially being mocked.
As Nishi spoke up about their next step, the blonde chuunin nodded, before taking her place at the front of the formation. She listened to what Nishi had to say, before speaking up herself "You're on the money about the language. It is Rén, albeit with a different accent than the Qinjings. But I can't completely comprehend it." Hikari remarked "And did you check if perhaps the symbols are the same as the ones in the books? The language in them is foreign, and nothing like Rén. So I wouldn't be surprised if they are potentially the same. Which would suggest something made by whoever set this whole place up."

As events progress, Yuyuko panted from the effort of slashing the tendrils as the chunin heard the words spoken in Ren by the Vrykyl, not understanding a lick of it, granted it probably was better she did not know as the chunin held Fuurai at the ready but careful to stay within the light due to being concerned of their enemy striking them from the shadows as Nishi gave their orders, Yuyuko interpreting it as a sign that they could relax to some degree as she loosened her grip on Fuurai's hilt slightly to catch her breath "Alright, Sensei"
She said as the chunin brought up the rear of the formation with Nishi, following the others as they gave their comments.
"While i was with Nishi sensei, i admit i cant confirm how similar they are, just that they seem similar, other than that,i can only confirm what Nishi has already told you." she said shaking her head as she had hoped to give more information but that was as best she could do, as she carefully looked around for anything that could help them or if the Vrykyl might try a second attempt at them worriedly praying they can all survive this encounter and mission alive.

A new formation was dictated, and Alsanna obliged so long as it kept her in the safest spot. The Vrykyl did not attack, and instead gatekept the exit for a reason. The medic gritted her teeth slightly as she shifted her gaze between the obscured exit and the bowels of this holy-forsaken library. They were going in deeper without rushing it too much, and Alsanna kept her attention on the unnatural dark until it was engulfed by the natural darkness of the library, "An ominous presence and a common theme of alien glyphs." she pursed her lips, her eyes softened a tad as they approached the smooth tunnel with an increasing amount of these patterns existing on the ground. She could feel them under her boots, if just a tad, the lines on the stone. And of course, an ominous and difficult to describe sensation that started to radiate when her attention was conferred to the markings.
The medic kept herself quiet, focusing entirely on this bizarre experience. No chakra involvement from Nishi's own input and nothing suggested it to the seal and medical expert either. This was very much novel, "I'd say cool but, what the fuck?" she very suddenly blurted out, her voice radiating little concern as if the previous encounter hadn't even occurred, "Hikari can probably make a better prognosis, but the patterns do resemble those in that book I tossed, yeah." both her hands clenched her umbrella at both ends, her nervousness growing once more and made verbal via her posture, "I've no clue what they are, or what they do. But-" her nostrils flared before she exhaled loudly, "We have a more-than-just-weathered corpse loaded with chakra, if we consider it eats it like a fat kid in a Fuzou Gala, I would assume this inert stone oozing of … Something may very well suggest it is connected to that thing." then she peered over at Nishi, "It did corral us here, after all. That's my most logical deduction."

Arriving back at the spot before, Nishi glanced around. There was still nothing else that disturbed the eerie silence other than their presence. And it seemed neither that Vrykyl followed them inside the place.
"I don't know if that is something I can support. If this place was in a way connected to that thing, why didn't it continue? It wasn't exactly losing," Nishi replied, biting on her lower lip as she considered the possibilities. "We can't even state that it was responsible for the earlier deaths. Actually, now that we have gained some sort of reprieve. What was up with the corpses?" Nishi asked, frowning as it was clear that she was feeling far from comfortable in their current situation.

Listening to the input of all three, Hikari glanced over the symbols as they started appearing, etched into the ground as Nishi had stated before. Once all three were done, Hikari remained silent for a moment, before glancing towards Nishi "I'm inclined to agree with Nishi. If they were connected, then surely nothing would've stopped from perhaps even utilizing the place itself. And Alsanna is right, the symbols are similar. I can see at least a couple that were also present in a couple of books. So whatever is in play here, it isn't connected to that. But if I had to make a speculation,"
Hikari glanced over at Alsanna "You put a seal on someone that you want to be triggered. You wouldn't try triggering it yourself, you would let someone else do it, if it is meant to be a trap. Nor would you trigger it if it's meant to protect that someone. Right?" She said, before looking at the symbols.
"What if whatever these are meant to do, are also preventing that thing from entering uninhibitedly? Something that doesn't target chakra as we know it." She suggested.

A counter-argument was given, which prompted Alsanna to raise an eyebrow at the two that agreed with it, "I mean, yeah, that's sound input too." her hand holding closest to the sharp tip of her parasol began to brush its palm around it as if cleaning it, though she had no rag, "And you're probably right. Which is why I'll stand by the less probable but still dangerous alternative. That thing's playful nature doesn't put me at ease, and could just as well be using us to find the Northern squad to get an easy two birds, one tentacle sort of deal." clearing her throat as they approached a more open area with just as many odd glyphs and symbols, Alsanna strayed from the group a little, not too far, and continued to inspect the patterns, with the tip of her parasol-blade tracing through some, "But let's assume the more probable scenario, then, something's keeping it out. Has anything been found that could indicate a threat to both it or even us?" a couple of taps were applied to the stone beneath her, "Or do these symbols bear some unseen power we've yet to study or even gain any insight on?" with that, she clicked her tongue before again directing herself toward Nishi.
"Right, the bodies. All dead by a single fatal strike. Drained of their chakra beyond the post-mortem norm. As in, absolutely zilch chakra with the lines damaged. Rigour Mortis did not cause their distorted expressions, and I've yet to determine what could cause that, but I've concluded that it was deliberate." she continued pacing about while waving around her parasol to gesture, "And, the most interesting, was that everything was dead." she paused for a moment to get a reaction, "As in, nothing at all lived in those bodies. No fungus. No parasites. No signs of scavengers taking a little bite. No intestinal flora bacteriana. Nothing. They didn't even putrefy and instead began some very strange form of mummification despite the average humidity of the area." nodding her head a little, pupils peering downwards a tad, she seemed to be pondering, "Given that Vrykyl's methods and clear display of power, I assumed this was the culprit for the massacre. Doubled by a lack of any monstrosity found here that could do anything of the sort. Yeah. Unless they were found the dead here, then it all points to the Vrykyl."

Yuyuko shrugged slightly as the others discussed as the chunin while wishing to provide any sort of help was few and far between as unlike the others, her forte and most of her focus was directed at battle and immediate survival which meant a good deal of what they mentioned was new information to consider. However she tried her best processing as much information as she could take and try to consider what the team could do as she spoke up. "Whatever the case is, with us here and we don't even know if the other team would or can even help us, especially with our Vrykryl friend camping outside the cave. I don't know but this leaves us trapped here, unless we can find a way to break out of here at least so another random team does not run into this."
With that, Yuyuko tried and kept thinking of ideas on how to break the deadlock and to help the others and herself escape.

Last edited:

[ Border of the Tokugawa and Senju lands | Empire of Akino ]
[ Hiroshi Hon and Lord Gakuro Senju ]
[ Collab between @RedFox and @Nim ]
[ Hiroshi continues his investigation and discusses things with Lord Gakuro Senju ]

I can't believe someone offered to meet me here.

He leaned back in his chair, enjoying the few minutes left until the Senju delegation would arrive, led by Lord Gakuro Senju himself. Highly unusual, but appreciated. Closing his eyes for a few seconds, he felt his emotions twirl around in his mind. A part of his was scared of facing another encounter with the likes of the Unkei. Just the thought made him feel uneasy in his stomach. On the other hand, he looked forward to getting - hopefully - the final piece of the puzzle to this border dispute. It will either be the final piece, or a door to a plethora of unanswered questions.

His thoughts were interrupted by Lieutenant Reyko opening the door. The pair exchanged only a brief nod. With a sigh, Hiroshi stood up and straightened his uniform, then adjusted the papers on his table. First impressions matter. A few more seconds later that seemed to drag themselves out forever, the door opened again. First came Lieutenant Reyko, than the members of the Senju delegation.

Entering the space, Gakuro nodded to the Lieutenant who let him in, escorted by a pair of guards that followed him in, but remained by the entrance. Looking at Hiroshi, Gakuro offered a polite and small bow to the man "Commander Hiroshi Hon. I wish we had met under better circumstances. I'm Gakuro Senju." He introduced himself, before sitting down at the chair opposite of Hiroshi, taking a glance around "I apologize if you had waited long for my arrival. Whenever I travel nowadays, my clan members try to stall me by giving their concerns and complaints in person." He said, moving his gaze back to Hiroshi.

Returning the polite nod, Hiroshi remained silent for a few seconds. Sitting down only after him, he could feel some sympathy towards the man opposite to him. Stay neutral. A biased investigation is a bad one. Reminding himself of the fact, he nodded again." The feeling is mutual, Lord Senju. Thank you for finding some time to meet with me. As much as I'd like our meeting to be under more pleasant circumstances, I do wish to get straight to the matter of our meeting. If you could, explain how you perceive the current - situation regarding this border dispute." He straightened his back and leaned forward, his attention focused on Gakuro.

Nodding, Gakuro placed his hands in his lap "Of course. As you are likely aware, things started becoming intense between the two clans when my clan elected to accuse the Tokugawa of a crime that has since been deemed a wrongful accusation. But that accusation, nonetheless, caused things to heat up among my people. However, none of them truly went and acted out, aside from calling for the Tokugawa to be brought to justice." Gakuro said, slightly shaking his head as he did.

"However," Gakuro's expression turned more stern "The 'Crime of Shinraha' occurred. Something that was deemed severe in the eyes of all the Senju, including my own. A Tokugawa patrol had somehow gotten too close to a Senju settlement, which should be unlikely for them to do, unless they went and passed the clan borders themselves. Unfortunately, with the already heated emotions, matters took a turn to the worse, and both sides suffered for it. So, the Senju had elected to secure our borders with the Tokugawa, to ensure their own patrols won't accidentally pass to our lands yet again. And we agreed to partially comply with their demands, and decreased the number of soldiers. Yet so far, the Tokugawa had done nothing but pretend as though this crime meant nothing, despite their own patrol being involved."

Once more shaking his head, Gakuro's expression turned back from serious to a neutral one "I wish for all of this to be over, but I cannot simply ignore my own people. And I cannot ignore the fact that the Tokugawa refuse to acknowledge their own part in this, and pretend that we are the sole aggressors, when our action is, in fact, a reaction. One aimed to protect my people." Gakuro finished explaining his side of things. He did not expect any sympathy from an agent of the government, but he had hoped it would help clear their actions some.

Making sure not to miss a single word of what was being said, Hiroshi managed to maintain a neutral expression. This matter is getting more and more complicated. But I'm glad I learned what I did. He took several seconds to ponder about something that could use hours of thinking about." I understand, Lord Senju. I'm glad that a wrongful accusation was righted. As for the 'Crime of Shinraha', I wish I could offer you a solution straight off the bat. I understand your concern for your people, and rest assured that The Tiger Claws will do whatever we can to assure their safety. And the safety of the Tokugawa as well. "

Taking another break, he looked straight into Gakuro's eyes. " The Tokugawa informed me that they refuse to back down, unless the Senju do so first. If what you said is true, and I have no reason to doubt that - I am sure you wouldn't mind if I would personally visit the mentioned sections of the border, perhaps with someone whom Lord Tokugawa could trust. Just so that the Tokugawa could have proof that you upheld your promise. I would, of course, personally oversee the report being delivered so there is no room for foul play."

As Hiroshi spoke, Gakuro locked his eyes with Hiroshi. He listened quietly, before slightly shaking his head "I cannot simply agree to back down. Not unless I get some assurance that there will not be a repeat of what had occurred. However," He said "I do trust your words and your own promise of things. If you could arrange some of your own men to remain near the border, until this is all concluded, then I will have what remaining patrols be called back. If your men, who are neutral to both sides, are present, then I see no reason for either side to act up. Not when it risks bringing the fury of those who answer to the Empress herself upon them." Gakuro explained.

He felt relief at the words he heard, but again did his best not to show it. " Once again, I understand your concerns. I can assure you that my men will be impartial on the matter at hand." He pondered briefly on the last words he heard. Is this respect towards Imperial authority? Abandoning the thought, he continued. " I'm not here to bring my fury down on anyone, Lord Senju. I'm here to keep the fury of the parties involved at bay, and transformit into peaceful solutions. The Empire, now more than ever, needs to be united. And I will use whatever methods at my disposal to maintain the unity." Perhaps his words came off more threatening than he intended. " That would be my last resort, Lord Senju. After meeting with Lord Tokugawa, I believe we all have the same goal - a peaceful solution. Seeing that you agree to my suggestion, I will make the necessary arrangements and inform you on their progress. Now, we all know the demands of the Tokugawa. I would also like to hear about your demands now."

Nodding as Hiroshi once more reassured him, at hearing the mention of demands, Gakuro didn't seem to take long before talking "For them to acknowledge that their patrol was involved in the crime, and not throw it down as 'Taika insecurity'. And for their forces to also back away, but as you stated, that will occur once the Senju take the first step. And I will make arrangements for the forces to back away as soon as we conclude our meeting, seeing I am already in the area." He stated.

Knowing it would be one of the most difficult letters or discussions he ever had, Hiroshi nodded. He could resolve this dispute in a way that would prevent further bloodshed. That's what matters the most." I understand. I will make sure the incident will be properly acknowledged by the Tokugawa as well. Seeing how my meeting with Lord Tokugawa went, I think this is a reasonable demand. As for the withdrawal of your forces, I do take your word for it - but I will still need to see for myself, Lord Senju. Please, think about it as seeing this matter through. As soon as this move is done on your side, I'll make sure that the Tokugawa will do the same. And just for good measure, I'll inform both sides of me acknowledging the withdrawal and a reminder that the situation will be monitored by a small detachment of my unit. But I trust their stay to be one of surveillance only." He gave Gakuro an exhausted smile, hoping that he was satisfied with his summary of steps that will be taken.

"Of course. As I said, once we have concluded the meeting, I will go deliver the new orders post haste. And it is good to hear your forces will be there to overlook things." Gakuro said with another polite nod "You can consider me reassured. Now, are there any other concerns or matters we need to discuss, before I go take care of matters on the Senju's side?" He asked.

He could feel a small smile appear on his lips, one he could not suppress. After several attempts, during which he considered if there's anything else he could ask, he decided he had a reason to smile." Nothing comes to my mind, Lord Senju. As soon as you leave, I'll put together a group of my most trusted men who will oversee the withdrawal of all forces from the border area and remain for observation. Thank you for agreeing to meet me on such short notice. I do hope that this will lead to returning these lands to peace. Now, if you'll excuse me, Lord Senju, I'd take my leave to oversee the preparation of my unit immediately. " He knew he shouldn't be the one to say this first. He hoped that Gakuro would understand his reaction. I still have much to learn.

Reactions: Aliceee and RedFox
[ Sevudia ]
[ Team 11 - Team Nishi ]
[ A Collab between @Oetje , @DeliciousFood @Sakayanagi Selko and @Nim, with special guest @Lesli ]

[ Team Nishi descends further into the odd library, as they are being cornered by the Vrykyl. Only to come to the realisation that they have one way to go. ]

Part 3

"I wouldn't indeed want to help you."

Asami's voice came from the dark, above them, perched on a small outcrop on the wall. The form of the woman barely visibly as her eyes seemed to briefly light up, observing the Jirians with a certain look that could be compared with a panther observing a bunch of slow goats.
"A common case of a mere grunt that thinks with fists and steel, instead of trying to figure out the why," the voice of Asami dictating clear disappointment and even some venom. "But ignoring the pointless addition, please. Do go on. I was enjoying the points that were being shared among you lot." The Northerner stated, her voice once more giving another hint at what she thought: that she held no inkling of respect for the Jirians.

"Cause so far, I think I have discovered more than you guys have done so far." The eyes of the woman narrowed. "And I have yet to find a reason why I should even aid you rats, beside that, there is a Vrykyl lurking outside."

Taking in the information that Alsanna gave, Nishi was about to say something but Asami's voice made the team leader silent. Moving her gaze to where she had detected Asami's voice, Nishi felt her worry increasing.
"You got your answer." Nishi said, her tone giving away that it was a sarcastic response, nothing more. "But time for the grown ups to talk," the jounin as she beckoned to the entrance. "Go stand guard and just let us know if the Vrykyl decides to come inside," Nishi ordered Yuyuko, only to return her attention back to Asami. "Once more we find you without your team. What is the case with that?" Nishi asked, planting her fists against her hips. "I am aware that we don't share responsibility or any mutual friendship. So no need to act upon anything fake. But seeing the situation, perhaps it would be beneficial if you and your team join our efforts?" Nishi proposed.

As the voice of Asami came, Hikari kept her attention on the symbols. If the Northerner had no intention of even thinking of working together against a mutual enemy, then she didn't really see a need to talk to her.
Instead, Hikari tried to focus and see if any part of the ground was different. If any of the symbols were more out of place than the rest. But as she didn't want to disturb what this was, she elected to only seek the difference via sight, while staying close to both Alsanna and Nishi, so they would be kept in the light.

No sinister presence beyond the odd sensations ushered in from the marking, and the lighting suffered no disturbance. Alsanna could only react calmly to the familiar voice that beckoned Team 11's attention, raising her head just a tad while her parasol served as support for her lazier posture, "Ah, fire-head's here." more and more she leaned into the tool she kept pressured to the stone with both her hands gripping the handle, "Now I feel truuuuly safe." she then exhaled from her nose, letting Nishi handle it.
And when the team leader had her say, the medic straightened her posture and swung her weapon over her shoulder before resuming her pacing, "Grunt. Rat. Very pleasant attitude. Mmm, I've seen this skit before. Like, seventeen times. Alright, wait, let me do the next part." she stopped, balled fist in front of her mouth as she cleared her throat, and commenced, "Something something, Northern Dog, blah blah, Winter Peasant, Thingy Thingy, hah hah hah I am cooler than you." her index then pointed toward Asami, "Then you say, blah blah, troublesome brat, rabble rabble, I'm even cooler." then, a clap of her hands, "Formalities done, we're all friends, let's figure out how to get rid of that literal piece of trash outside. Not in the mood for more quirky styles clashing together." she didn't seem too happy!

As Asami made her presence known, Yuyuko tensed up, her grip on Fuurai tightening as she almost expected the Vrykyl to try and get the jump on them with the team pinned down in the cave.
With Asami there, while not exactly Yuyuko's first choice, it at least meant they might have a way to break the deadlock. However Asami being insulting and unhelpful did not make things any better as the chunin put a hand to her head.
"We are doomed."
She said quietly to no one in particular but at least lightening up when Nishi put her on guard duty near the entrance of the cave, at least to look out for the Vrykyl. And as Asami came to tell off the team, Yuyuko made her way near the entrance of the cave but at it so she would have some cover in the shadow of the entrance, keeping Fuurai's blade away from the light and prepared herself to shout should the Vrykyl try to attack her while defending herself.

Comfortably seated on the stone Asami peered down at the Jirian operatives. The dark made it near impossible to read beyond the silhouette that provided a soft contrast from the shadows.
"My team is already off with some information," Asami told Nishi, blatantly ignoring the whinging of Yuyuko or Alsanna response, "Aside from this room, there isn't anything else to the library. But you say a Vrykyl?"
It was faint but a scoff could be detected from Asami. Slowly the woman shifted and allowed herself to drop down to the ground. Landing without a visible problem, Asami would keep an evident distance from the Jirians, as if the distrust had to be represented in a non-verbal fashion.
"Huh, that one is dead," Asami casually stated, pointing rather lazily towards the entrance with her right thumb towards the only exit of the odd room, "I assume it is an intelligent one. The Vrykyl that is," Asami stated towards Nishi although it was clear that the comment was altogether a remark towards Nishi's subordinates as well. "If that is the case, it is best to strategize. I would propose a distraction and then splitting up when we make a run for it." Glancing at Hikari who seemed to study the symbols. "And to think I was planning to eavesdrop on you all, to see if you could decipher more from this room. A shame."

Nishi watched how Yuyuko decided to go further than what was instructed. A soft sigh escaped Nishi's lips as she turned her attention to Asami.
"Alsanna, not now." Nishi muttered, keeping the volume of her voice soft to only allow Hikari and Alsanna to hear her. "No need to make a second enemy."
Once Asami stated that her team was already gone Nishi couldn't feel any sort of envy. It meant that the Northerners already had acquired some sort of information and were steps ahead of them. Despite the complaints and vocal dislikes of Alsanna and Yuyuko, Nishi was actually far from disappointed. It seemed that the Northerners, at least, knew how to advance and deal with a situation.
"It is one that has a mind of its own, yes. It seems to possess the abilities that were handed down with the briefing, such as chakra absorption." Considering the situation, Nishi wasn't pleased to learn that there was no other exit. Only through the same entrance could they leave this place.

"I think that would be best. Providing it with many targets can allow us to escape with the least amount of casualties," Nishi replied as she considered her team abilities versus the Vrykyl, "the Vrykyl is holding the entrance underneath a sort of barrier. I reckon that it is aimed to absorb chakra upon contact. It may be possible to try to enter a false negotiation with the Vrykyl in order to lower their guard."

With the ongoing conversation, Hikari slightly turned a glance towards Asami as she mentioned her team had already acquired some information. So they potentially had someone who knew about this language, on some level. Or perhaps found something she didn't bother sharing.
As they moved to discuss the Vrykyl, Hikari elected to use a moment of silence to study the symbols more and memorize them the best she could. She already wrote some in her journal before, but she had hoped she could grab a book or two before they departed.

Turning to Nishi, Hikari slightly shook her head "Not sure if it will work a second time, attempting to negotiate. Even if the Vrykyl can't enter, if it is as dead as Alsanna stated, then it could potentially just wait until we end up dying, from starvation, dehydration, or otherwise. They hold the entrance to the cave, all they need to do is wait." She stated a bit more loudly, as she approached Nishi.
"I think I may have something more." She muttered under her breath, so that it would only be audible for Nishi.

Alsanna scoffed at Nishi's reminder to keep things civil, "War won't be declared over shoving one's own shit back at them. But whatever." considering Asami didn't confer much attention to the medic, there'd be reciprocation with Alsanna sleuthing about through the various books and markings in the area. There'd be purposeful dents made to the stone glyphs below them with her sharp parasol-blade, while she'd run her digits through the old books to potentially find any discrepancies, like a switch to open a passage one would usually read in a novel or something.
Strategy was to be discussed, and Alsanna kept on checking for potential elements they could miss that would betray the nature of this establishment, "We did blow our chances to negotiate, or at least delay it." she confirmed, whipping out a book to briefly skim through it, "And now we're cornered. So, it leaves us with few options." losing interest rather quickly with the piece of undeciphered literature, she'd set it back and confer a glance to both her team and the jounin outlier, "It can also infiltrate individuals by entering some peculiar, gaseous form. From there, I would assume it takes information from the host. Which means dissemination of information is discouraged." pursing her lips, she leaned her shoulder against one of the stone pillars near her, "I've articulated one plan to my team. Going into details would put it at risk. But should it ever turn into that gas-like form," the medic raise her chin to point toward the passage that led to the entrance, "make sure she gets swallowed up."
Then, she yawned, with her free hand covering her mouth, "Mmm, anyway. If we're facing that thing head-on, two options. First is we prepare all conventional weaponry we have to combat it. Anything that doesn't involve chakra. I reckon explosives are a good choice." and then slowly she slid down to sit down and lean her back against the pillar, "Second, given we have all the time in the world, is maybe figuring out what keeps it at bay. Maybe we can, y'know, figure out some way to repel it?"

As Yuyuko neared the entrance of the cave, she slowed her pace, gingerly going as close her gut would let her, one hand keeping Fuurai's blade behind her back.
For the most part, she did not go much closer than 2 feet from the light that emanated from the library, her eyes not seeing hide nor hair of the Vrykyl.
The chunin contemplated remaining on guard there but after some thought, it hit her that while Nishi did ask her to stand guard, her jonin did not specifically position Yuyuko at the entrance.
With that realization, Yuyuko bit her lip to hold the urge to kick herself in anger.
After that, the chunin took a moment to take in what she saw, not wanting to waste the trip there before she carefully inched backward towards the others, eyes focused on the entrance while keeping her footsteps measured so as to reduce any sound being made for a short distance before changing to a measured pace making her way to the others.
Luckily it seems she was not followed as Yuyuko stopped near the group, well at least close enough that she can pass on what she saw with her own opinions once she is sure the others had finished talking.
"Sorry everyone, but I think I may have misunderstood sensei's instructions earlier. While probably not much, I was not able to see hide nor hair Vrykyl outside from where I stopped but whatever the case is, it is relatively quiet outside with no movement whatsoever.
While I doubt it, I suspect it might be focused on something else or it could be just waiting, since from what I remember hearing from it, the Vrykyl sounds like a cat to some extent. I remember Father mentioning in one of his sessions with me that cats when they believe that their prey is assuredly trapped let their prey do as they please within their reason since the cat can end their prey's life at anytime.
That and how people who talk or act like what the Vrykyl is acting is similar in that regard. I doubt it is much but I hope this information helps.
"
She said worriedly to them as she turned her head to focus on the way to the entrance as what she was supposed to do from the start.

Asami crossed her arms. Judging from her stance, she paid some mind to what the Jirians informed her about but the facial expression revealed that the Northerner wasn't impressed. In fact, she seemed to be disappointed. The return of Yuyuko didn't drive the disappointed expression from Asami's features.
"This place lacks a barrier or anything that should hold back specific signatures," Asami began as she gestured to the dark hall, void of anything living but them. "I suspect that the Vrykyl is just comfy in wearing us down. There is no other exit or some secret passage that I managed to find. Which may be enforced by the fact that the 'cat thing'," a certain mocking emphasis flavored Asami's tone, if only briefly, "is just blocking the only possible way out."
Pausing, Asami threw a look at the only known way of exit, shrouded in shadows now that there was no light source available. "That is a new ability. The chakra absorbing was something that the allied forces already were aware of. I remember that some of the Vrykyls got beaten to a pulp. Literally. So if we need to beat the absolute shit out of it, then slapping it enough around should do the trick." Asami sighed, the sound radiating irritation, "however, I prefer to avoid a prolonged fight. If anything, we got not enough information on the intelligent sort of Vrykyls that convinces me to fight it."

The information that Yuyuko provided was evidently dismissed by Asami. "I am really starting to wish I had left earlier. Anyways, I am not going to engage it for a prolonged time or with the aim to beat it up. I have what I need from this place and I intend to reach my superior without being leeched or taken over by some living undead edgelord." The woman fixed her gaze upon Nishi. "Your team does what it needs to prepare themselves. I am going to take my preparations at the entrance. Good luck, Knife," with that said, Asami would calmly pace into the shadows and darkness that surrounded the dim light of Hikari's torch, into the direction of the hallway.

Alsanna presented the options she considered viable, Yuyuko came back with her own observations, and then Asami elected to depart to perform her own preparations. As her gaze followed the Northerner as she stepped into the shadows, Hikari pondered on something for a moment, before taking a step in the direction of Asami "The Vrykyl might be after you!" She called out to her. Turning her glance to Nishi, Hikari shrugged slightly.
"If the Vrykyl is just trying to wear us down, then why? It already stated before that she got something from me. And if there is nothing holding it back, then why not just go after its target, or us? What if it is trying to keep us locked in here, like a cage, while trying to see if someone else was still present?" Hikari said, before gesturing in the direction Asami went to "The Vrykyl must've seen her in the memory of when we first met her. I doubt it would be hard for it to just snatch any of us easily. But seeing back then it was a shadow clone, it must be trying to play it safe. Get us to come to it and surrender information about her." Hikari summarized her own theory.
She briefly turned her gaze towards Alsanna, before turning it back to the symbols "Until a plan is chosen, I am inclined to agree with Alsanna. We should continue to study the room." Hikari said, before continuing to memorize the symbols. As she looked at them further, she stopped by one sign. Aside from the fact it was written similarly to Taika, in symbols, she felt like there was another sign of semblance for her. Kneeling down, she took a closer look at it, studying it the best she could to figure out why it felt familiar, though in a different manner than how it resembled Taika.

Nishi waited, though she waited as Asami took her leave. When things became silent, Nishi cupped her chin as she seemed to ponder. The pondering didn't last long as Nishi spoke up, speaking to her students.
"Technically, we aren't cornered. I got a way out of this mess." The jounin threw a glance at Alsanna, "but I prefer to keep that under the rug as long as possible. We may not be enemies with the Northerners, we aren't actually best of friends either. So we could ditch the Red Devil here without any backlash."
However, it was clear that something was bothering Nishi regarding that decision.
"As for this space, I am not so sure if we want to stick here. There are few theories that I have in mind. The bodies outside were Rongese soldiers. If the Vrykyl is responsible for murdering them then why didn't it corner or attack the Northerners? I still don't suspect the Vrykyl being behind the murders in front of the library's entrance. In fact," removing the hand from her chin, Nishi gestured to the room they were standing in with the strange symbols, "we can turn the situation around. The Rongese patrol found this place. Perhaps by accident or by purpose. Whatever was hostile and murdered them could have been trapped until some sort of security system was triggered." Nishi thought out loud, her eyes narrowing as she became silent for a few seconds.

"However, what really bothers me is that there was no sign of the Rongese trying to take the books. Nothing that indicated that they were planning to sack the place, right?" She brought up, starting to pace back and forth. "Same with the Vrykyl. Why did it show up? Nobody here is a valuable target. None of us has given a reason for the Rongese to send such a foe after us."
Halting, Nishi turned only half to her team. The dim light and shadows created an ominous spectacle of the woman's facial features as some visible worry became visible. The words that left her lips were mere whispers as she stared into the dark.
"Unless Ignis," her voice trailing off.

"Huh?" Alsanna paused and refocused her attention to her team once Asami had opted to depart, "That was the Red Devil? I suppose I wasn't wrong to predict a degree of redundancy with someone holding such a title." conversations were made, ideas thrown and initiatives were to be taken, and the medic opted to take her turn in slacking off a little, sitting herself on top of one of the bookshelves, "The amusing thing is, assuming conventional ideas, such as a barrier, would work on something like a Vrykyl is awfully standard thinking. There could be a multitude of things keeping it back, including its own logic, of course."
A little after Nishi's own input, Alsanna added her own thoughts into the mix while remaining sat comfortably, one leg over the other, "Y'know, when I saw the attitude of that thing, the idea of it eliminating Rongese troops to potentially cover up this place, or whatever other reason it may have, I had assumed it indulged in some lunch or even got rid of some folks that had seen too much. Although it did leave the issue of the Northerners being fine and dandy." arms crossed under her chest, her head shifted left and right, "But if your hypothesis is true, Nishi, then there may very well be something that rivals the levels of danger that thing displays near us. With an eerily similar inclination for chakra draining and corpse perversions." she smiled bright, yet not bright enough to ignite a single light and make her expression known to the others, "Man, all of this is pretty fuckin' cool when you think about it, yeah? Minus the serious chance of dying and all."
The back of her heel frequently tapped against the shelf she reigned over, making for a consistent pendulum-like echo that resonated throughout the place, "Igniiiis, Ignis, Ignis. Yet another friend?" she inquired just as the girl-turned-owl returned to Alsanna's shoulder, and whispered what she had observed during their altercation, "Well, I assume there are other passages we've missed?"

Listening to the two, Hikari thought about it. The way the corpses died felt consistent with the Vrykyl and its capabilities, but what Nishi said made sense. They didn't enter, nor did the Vrykyl. But something still killed them. And something was still causing the Vrykyl to stay at bay. And yet, these symbols, this language, which she felt had signs of both Taika and Rénese in it, had to mean something. The place was also a bit peculiar. The deeper they went, the less books and scrolls were around, and more of these symbols were present everywhere.
Glancing in Nishi's direction, Hikari recalled something she was told back at Jinsan "It is possible it wasn't the Rongese or Vrykyl that killed those soldiers. The Qinjing told me of something called Liúwáng. Which are people who can use special capabilities. I haven't been told exactly what capabilities, but from how it was explained, I got a sense that it is a controversial role, much like a shinobi. So it could be that those got rid of the Rongese soldiers, and then the Vrykyl was sent to investigate. And then found us instead." She suggested.

Looking in Alsanna's direction, Hikari shrugged "Probably missed a few. But I also got another hunch about the place. Not that it contains something dangerous. No, I think it is the place itself that might be important for the Rongese. This language, whatever it is, has signs of both Taika and Rénese in it. I can't say I can translate it, but considering how old the place seems to be, and how rare it is to hear Taika around these parts, I think we might be in an ancient temple, which doubled as a library. So the deeper we go, the closer we'll get to wherever the shrine is." Hikari finished explaining her theory, before glancing at Nishi "Could double as an explanation to why neither the Rongese nor the Vrykyl have entered. Sacred ground to them."

Reactions: FrostedCaramel