Outlaws of the Multiverse

Layla actually chuckled at his last line, Cerberus being romantic. It's ironic when you think about it, a group like them being seen in such a romantic light. It would be like giving the Taliban a romantic light, something just seemed so wrong with it, but sounded all too funny to hear as well. "I'm guessing your parents were alright in you joining? If they're still around, of course." She asked. Most kids who joined Cerberus didn't have family to back to, and perhaps had a small grudge against aliens for their deaths. Jules didn't seem like a kid who'd be into human race first type of beliefs, or rather would be racist towards alien life.

Then again, she could be wrong. Most people she met who worked in Cerberus never seemed likely to have any agenda against aliens. They cared about giving humanity a chance in a massive universe, not be controlling over it. Though if she talked to people in the lower levels, soldiers and commanders, perhaps a few people up at the top, there'd likely be some fellas with beliefs of making interment camps for aliens who mess with Humans. Give them poison like they were rats infesting a home.

............ God, her thinking got dark right there

And indeed, Layla was quite right in that regard. They were plenty of people who had genuine racist and hatefull views regarding aliens. The Phantom generally didn’t interact with them though. They tended to be a bit...nutty. And some of them also had a bit of an aggresion issue. All in all, not a pleasant lot to be around. As for himself, aside from batarians, Jules never really thought much of aliens. Neither in a positive or negative way.

“Oh, they certainly weren’t.” Denied Jules, shaking his head. “They were extremely pissed about it...Said that if I left, I wouldn’t have to come back.” He replied with a wince. To be more precise, it was actually ‘her’, considering his mother had raised him and his brother mostly on her own. “Of course I didn’t listen at the time. They did warn me about Cerberus, but as I said, I thought Cerberus was pretty much a bunch of vigilantes who did all sorts of good things.”

Indeed, his mother and the rest of his family had been quite furious. He was to stay home on the colony and help out with the farm. But in the kid’s mind, joining Cerberus would help the farm. In retrospect, he really should have listened. Then he wouldn’t have gone through the ruthless Cerberus training programm and he wouldn’t be here in...Where were they, actually?

“Would you...mind telling me where we are?” Asked Jules the older woman cautiously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Layla looked back at him with a small grin on her face, amused by the question. Telling him the truth would be the same as lying, he wouldn't believe it, and honestly he'd be better off. If he knew half of her operation, or even a third of it, that information would make Jules a dead man walking. Best not have Ben find out she let such information leak out. "You're in a prison, in the middle of a ghost town, with desert surrounding you for miles outside. I think you can see all that from your window, no?" She mockingly answered. "I'll admit though, I can relate a little to your parent issues. Mine weren't too happy when I left home, and I never really got back into contact with them. But, hey, what can you do?" Layla did answer that part honestly. Technically, it had been nearly 10 years since she last saw her folks, and she never really thought about getting back in touch with them.

She'd moved past them. No need to reconcile. "You seem like a nice guy, friendly to talk to, seemingly have some unsolved issues at home, but...." Layla stood up from her chair, putting back aside. "I don't really have much use for you. I mean,I have most of the info I want on Cerberus, I doubt you can offer much else outside of that. Not to say I'm gonna kill you, I'm not that heartless, but.... Well. You're gonna be stuck here a long time." She had a rather sad look on her face, one that showed sympathy for his situation. But, he couldn't let go. Too much of a liability. "I'll try to see what I can do to give you some room to move around, I don't wanna keep you stuck in that cell forever. Food's gonna be very scarce, I can't offer much, hell, even water will be an issue, so expect from time to time to go a day or two without it. You might wanna think about drinking your own urine if you feel desperate-- I'm joking."

With that, a large grin appeared on Layla's face, with a good laugh to follow for Jules' reaction. "HAhahahaha! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist." She apologized, clapping her hands together. "Oh, you looked fuckin' scared there dude!" Rubbing her face, Layla tried to calm down, but she got Jules good with that, and she was gonna enjoy it. Once she did calm down, she looked back at Jules. "I'm not gonna keep you in there forever, I like you so far! You're not going back to Cerberus though, I fuckin' saved your life by takin' you with me."

Last edited:
And indeed, Jules' eyes widened at that, momentarily forgetting that the whole 'drinking urine' thing was actually a popular myth that in reality often backfired. And dying of thirst, starvation, sandstorms or whatever else roamed outside….Yeah, that didn't really seem all that pleasant or rewarding either. While he wasn't gonna beg for his life, he was about to make some sort of protest, before Layla burst into laughter. While initially confused, he soon figured out she had been joking and he couldn't help but crack a grin as well, chuckeling a bit.

“OK, maaaybee just a little bit.” He admitted. “And thank you, I’m flattered you think so highly of me.” Added the kid, teasingly arching an eyebrow regarding the comment about Layla liking him. “Still, I am getting you-wait, what do you mean, ‘save my life’?” He asked, blinking in surprise. It wasn’t unheard of for Cerberus assests, agents and soldiers to be killed off, but there was usually a reason for it. As far as he was aware, he’d never done anything that was worth killing him about....

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulling out a small phone from her back pocket, she twisted it around so Jules could grab it. It was unlocked, and on the screen were several report of experiments going on in the same Cerberus facility Jules was stationed in. A lot of it involved genetic mutation, brainwashing, and mentions of 'Husks.' "Don't think Cerberus cared too much for you, boyo." Layla told him, her smile wavering just a bit. "I gotta get going now, but you can keep the phone if you'd like. Has internet on it, so you won't be too bored." Considering where they were, he had on way of contacting for any rescue. Even if he felt inclined to. "And hey..... You're welcome."

With a wink and a sly smile, she walked out the door, clothing it shut, and leaving Jules to ponder over some certain life choices that could've easily killed him.

Jules, initially skeptical of this, took hold of Layla’s phone and started reading the information on it...And boy was his mind blown! Sure, the Phantom had figured out Cerberus had done and still did some questioneble things. But this...The process of being turned into these things and the end result...These ‘husk’...They were horrific!

He shuddered, imagining himself being impaled on those things, and he actually grew quite pale.

“Gods, I...Thank you, Layla.” He told the older woman, just in time to see her wink and flirtious smile, before she left. “H-Hey! Wait! Come back!” Called Jules after her, though he doubted she would answer. Growling in frustration, he looked around the cell and then at the phone.

“Now what...” he murmered to himself. He indeed didn’t try to escape. If Layla was to be believed, there was no point in trying. And besides...There was something about that woman. Something that made the kid want to stay...