Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Science Fiction, Horror, Post-Apoc, Psychological
1542010290251.png
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC | IC
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It was just a camping trip. You and three of your friends.

Spring break, 2018.

The semester had been a hard one at the University of Colorado so far: grades slipping, all-night benders, losing your relationship; whatever plagued your semester this year, this trip would be the one to put a stop to the hardships.

A week of exploration.

A week of nature.

A week of horror.

On the third night, something in the forest stirred.

Something in the forest changed.

The whole forest changed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The Premise

You, and three others, took to the mountains in Colorado for a week's getaway from the college and city life, only to find yourselves in another world!
Work together to survive on this primordial world, filled with dangers unknown!

The Contents

- Giant insects! -
- Ancient illnesses! -
- Dinosaurs! -
- Crafting! -

And more!

The Players

Woodie Elison by irregular-neptune
Swana Night by @Lil Devil
Gretchen Truckey by @lepidoptera
Brae Roden by @Brea

The Sheet

Name:
Major:
About the Character:

Afternote

Bear in mind that all of your characters are friends with one another in some capacity, and that you're the run-of-the-mill college student! You might be friends with one person, but dislike another; and you might have been a Boy Scout as a kid or you could have been a city-slicker all your life! I look forward to what everyone comes up with, and to delving into the world of Primordial!

There is also the option of joining the OPTIONAL Discord server, for all of your communicative and question needs here.

Inspired by Gary Paulsen's 'The Transall Saga'

Last edited:
I'll bite, looks interesting. Do I just throw up a character sheet up here?
And, are you going to be making a character for this as well?

Feel free to throw it up on here! I'll make an ooc when all four slots are filled and an ic then, too.

Fantastic! Feel free to toss up a sheet on this thread when you are able @Lil Devil

Still looking for interested parties!

Will either post a CS tonight or tomorrow.

Oh man, I'm interested! I'll get a CS up asap

Great! I look forward to it!

Name: Woodie Ellison
Major: Biology
About the Character:
Growing up, Woodie was always fascinated by bugs and plants, and that followed him into his adult life. In high school, his best subjects were always the sciences. He prefers the hands-on sciences, not so much the math-based ones. This has led him to many hikes into nature, observing things and learning about the world around him. His knowledge isn’t extensive, hence why he’s in school, but he probably knows more than your average person. Like, what local plants are edible or not, and the most common local animals, and some good plants for medicinal purposes.

His mother was the single parent of he and his younger brother (who is still in high school), and Woodie was always very close with her. He came out as gay in his freshman year of college, and she accepted him, despite the rest of her family reacting negatively. It wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be, but it also could have gone better. He got out of it with his mother’s support, though, and that’s all he really needed.

This year has been particularly hard for him. Though it’s his third year in college, it has been the most difficult one so far, what with him having to write the longest papers he’s yet to write and take the hardest tests. He also went through a difficult break up at the beginning of the year and has just had a difficult year so far. He’s been shutting down on people a lot lately and, because of his busy schedule, hasn’t been able to put the extra negative energy towards creating art, a pastime and hobby that he’s practiced since he was young. This has been rough for him, so when his friends suggested a camping trip over spring break, he immediately jumped on the opportunity. He loved nature, and an entire week of it was sure to help him get back in touch with himself.
serbout-yanis-image.jpg

@irregular-neptune Woodie is a-okay for getting lost in the woods!

That said...still looking for interested parties for an expedition into the unknown, the archaic, the dangerous! Primordial offers a prehistoric experience like Ark, but without those pesky hackers that ruin your multiplayer experience!

Last edited:
Name: Swana Night
Major: Art
About the Character: Swana aka Swan spends alot of her time reading a good book or drawing, she tends to be anti social and doesn't enjoying talking much. She the middle child to a famous model mother and a ex marine father. Spending her time in the woods sketching out nature she skilled in basic survival tactics. Owning a pet cat named zephyr she holds a small group of people close to her. You never catch her without her art bag and book bag

Swan being the middle child spent alot of her time alone or with her father. She never cared for her mother's fashion lessons and loved the beauty of nature that her father showed her. Her older sister took after their mother and was becoming a model as well. Swan and her mother had a strained relationship since she saw Swana love of nature and art a fault of her father's need to make sure his little girls could survive if something happen. This was Swana's 2nd year in college and she didn't care to hang around to many people on her classes, though many of them would come and ask her about her latest drawing or what her mother and sister were working on next.

Swana always had a laid back look mo matter the season she didn't care to be all fancy and dolled up like others did. She was known in her art class for three things: her drawing skills, her quick anger, and her reflexes. Her cat zephyr was a black, white and brown cat who you think was chubby but was just big boned and tall for his breed. Swana never talks about her younger sibling for her own personal reasons. Swana wasn't to open but one thing was for sure she had the biggest sweet tooth.

Connection to Woodie: Upon meeting woodie in a nature class when they were younger Swana once showed woodie a collection of unique bugs and rare plants she had kept in her glass house before they connected over the beauty of them and became friends easy enough though as time went on they saw less of each swana putting more of her time in her art .

Connection to Gretchen : the weird female looked up to her mother for some strange reason but the two had became friends in a weird fashion, showing Gretchen a few of her art and noticing how her cat who normally hates others had easily became comfortable around her. Gretchen was one of the few people who swana could say made a small smile peak on her lips when she was around her.

Connection to Braeden: bumped into Braeden at one of her mother rare animal photo shoots. she enjoyed his weird humor and found the guy funny plus hearing about his animal loving she had come to once be friends with him.

Attachments

• 4e19651abf2a8f699b83f5ef58c8d986.jpg
    4e19651abf2a8f699b83f5ef58c8d986.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
This looks so cool and was what convinced me to bite the bullet and join the site. That does not mean you have to approve my character, but I'd love to watch the game unfold, or guest an NPC if I don't work out. :smile:

Adding some music, because I live/breath music, and because Gretchen is a musical soul.

Y'ever just...

Forget it, wasn't worth talking about.

• Name: Gretchen Truckey

Major: N/A; was convinced by her friends to come back and get certified in Automotive Tech.

About the Character: Gretchen is one of those people that you might think 'peaked' during their early years. Very social and a devoted student, as well as participating in several extracurricular electives (speech and debate, cheerleading), she just... Stopped, after she graduated from high school. Her friends could kind of see it building up; an unpleasant worldview and a sense that everything was predetermined, and there was no point in trying, because it was all worthless, anyway.

Leaving behind her childhood friends in Battlement Mesa, she part-timed at a gas station, while drifting between (amicably) divorced parents and 'making sure they weren't gettin' up to trouble' - in her own words. It was only the influence of her friends that convinced her to try college again after having tried and dropped it once, and it - hasn't been going well, at all. Working up interest has been hard, but she keeps on moving... Somehow.

She's always been terse, and is practically non-verbal, now. However, she does enjoy talking to people and making her presence known, and is very competitive. She likes to do new things, 'win' them, but then feels like there's nowhere else to go and loses interest. She's always had an interest in cars, and her dad's (significant rural) lawn is littered with the dying relics you find in the country. But it's not like they're her passion, or nothing. Just another thing to do, maybe make money - or whatever.

Though she was worried about the idea of camping, at first - she didn't want to let people down again at this low point, the more she thought about it, the more it sounded good, and she managed to kind of fire herself up about it, y'know?.. So here she is, and what'll come will come.

It's all fated, anyway.

• Appearance: Gretchen is tall, and lanky. She's about 6'0, give or take a slouch, and a bit stocky - stockier then she was growing up, for sure. She's almost always tanned, and has a lot of callouses, cuts, and badly-applied covers for them. She doesn't wear makeup or foundation - she kind of misses them, but it takes energy. (She's had a lot of trouble with that, recently.)

Her hair is unkempt and shoulder-length and light-brown, and she has dim brown eyes that get brighter when she's focused on something, and can motivate herself to care. She gestures a lot, and prefers it to talking when possible. She is a good public speaker, though, and enjoys speaking - or winning, at least. Her nose is slightly crooked, possibly from that one time she got it beat in from that nasty fall, few years back - hah, wasn't that a laugh and a half...

She doesn't smile a lot, and naturally looks like she's frowning. She's more comfortable around people she knows, and can even be a bit pushy; but she's usually pretty good at reading, and respecting, her friends and their space. Her smiles are always a bit lopsided, but really warm.

Rumour has it that her wardrobe consists entirely of red chequered plaid and blue jeans. That's definitely a lie, possibly even slander.

• Possible ways she knows her friends: Obviously, these are dependent on the above approval, her approval as is, and our brainstorming!

Woodie: She probably met him when she was first giving this 'college' thing a try - or maybe reconnected with him after having been friends at some point in their past. Thinks his knowledge about 'plants n' shit' is the coolest but doesn't really know how to express it. Might've been the one to suggest going camping, kind of sardonically?

But she strongly gets how he's been feeling, as of late. It's kind of nice, 'cause... Y'know, you don't have to say much. Life is just so - yeah.
    But going camping... It'd be nice. Like old times. Nothing to think about, just nature. What could go wrong?

Swana: This is totally embarrassing, but kind of, uh, looked up to Swana's mother? I mean, not looked up to, you know - geeze. Forget about it. Point is, they met at some point, and probably get on well due to not needing to yak at each other all day. Gretchen really likes her nature sketches, but likes Zephyr more. (Both her parents claimed animal allergies, so...)

Although she plays a mean game of paintball, Gretchen doesn't actually have too many survival skills, so she probably looks up to Swana's knowledge a bit, too, and is constantly trying to seem a little cooler around her.

• Random facts:
    • Hella superstitious. Like, don't even ask.
    • Used to be a bit of a bully. You can ask, but... She's not proud of it.
    • A surprisingly good cook. This one time (maybe?) Woodie brought over some weird milk vetch, or something, and she actually made a soup out of it - sure, it turned out to be kind of regrettable after the fact, but it was sure tasty.
    • Does not like either of her parents, but has a weird sense of duty to them.
    • The sort of person who sticks up too quickly for her friends, even when they don't need it... Or want it.
    • Loves horror movies; bored to tears by action flicks unless there's gore innit.
    • Hits - REAL country music (her definition), crunchy potato chips, the smell of grease.
    • Misses - Feelings, schedules, screwing things up when people are counting on her, nothing else, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
@lepidoptera Approved! I was curious at first to a lack of a face claim, but you did a solid description so you's good there. I'll leave it up to the others on your character connections. Also, super big compliment about joining the site for this story. Makes it all the more worth it.

@Lil Devil Approved!

Just needing one more, and we will be good to go! I'll start building the OP to the IC tonight when I get home from work.

• Love
Reactions: lepidoptera
Yesssss, I'm so excited for this!
I can definitely do a faceclaim, I just - am bad at placing IRL people to characters, ahaha. It'll have to be awhile, though - should we use this thread for OOC chat and brainstorming, or save that until our final member arrives?

@lepidoptera Yeah, I'm down with her connections to Woodie! I think them reconnecting after a while is a cool idea!

• Thank You
@irregular-neptune Sweet, I'm really glad to hear it! I feel like it's an angle that's not covered in fiction a lot, strangely.
When you meet up with someone you were friends with - maybe not even the best of friends? - but whether you've changed, or just experienced more, maybe hitting it off better, or being more honest, or just sharing more interests...

Anyway, I've got a hundred ideas kicking around in my head for this.
I'm really psyched for our group of campers-struggling-with-the-weight-o-the-world. Let's root for them!

Reactions: irregular-neptune
This thread will be the ooc thread as well. I'll update all that when I get home from work.

After speaking with Brea, we've determined they will be participating and getting a sheet rolled out in a few days once the festivities transpire. I will be working on an IC thread soon and we will be ready to kick off on Monday!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Woohoo!

Camping in Colorado, la-la, nothing can go wroooooong... Looking for adventure, hoping we won't be sacrificed by immortal death cults, lalala...
Fighting off malaria, or even malaria+2, ooooooOoooo...

Uh, it's not a theme song, or anything. It's a work in progress.
(It's not a work in progress.)

I'm thinking Gretchen is so (invisibly) excited she brought along her Lomo Instant, to take a few photos. 'Just for fun', she says, but she probably really treasures things like that?..