Sagas of Wayward Suns - Arc 1

Radiant Shine

At first, from some miles off, Shine worries the smoke is a plague pit.

Closer, he imagines it is contraband burning, and uses the hot water to make tea instead.

Close enough to see the Imperial Mon, Shine sighs heavily and sits on the veranda of the little hut that sits upon Ba Sao's broad, shaggy back. Lighting his pipe, he begins pondering how best to repel a siege by Realm forces for when the punitive army inevitably arrives.

Reactions: FuzzMonster
Gentle River

The earthshaking sound of the bell ringing snaps River out of his daze. He turns on his heel, and looks up at the young wildsman, now bathed in golden light and crowned in antlers.

"Oh. Oh fuck me sideways."

Ferat:

Such shameful behaviour. This was merely replacing one tyranny with another. Ferat would not have it. He scanned the mob for an obvious ringleader, someone enjoying the cruelty as opposed to being caught up in the deceptive euphoria of revolution and freedom. The crowd shearing the hair from elderly women were particularly distasteful.

As Ferat strode towards them, Shalla slinking behind, he heard the town bell sing across the city, almost as much essence as sound. Looking up, he saw the blazing display, heard the words chiding Zala's dishonourable behaviour, and Ferat permitted himself a rare smile. So, we have company in Zala. This will be interesting. Perhaps I won't have to beat someone to a pulp as an example after all. Shame.

Still smiling, arms still covered by his old hide cloak, Ferat cocked his head at the group of shearing men. "I'd listen to the horned glowing man if I were you, boys. You don't want to end up with more enemies than friends after taking a city, believe me."

Shalla, sensing her friend's mood, slowly stretched and yawned, displaying powerful legs and jaws that had taken down trained Imperial soldiers in plate armour in the past.

Gentle River

Ignoring every instinct telling him to avoid this situation, that it wasn't his business, River moved across the square to where this stranger was intimidating some low-lives. "He's right, you know. This is a day for celebration, clearly - don't you think this brutality is beneath you?" He nodded at Ferat companionably, his hands out and open at his sides to show he bore no weapons. "Why don't you let those poor women go and we'll get the ale flowing, eh?"

Ferat:

Ferat glanced over and froze. He had no words to describe feeling what had to be someone else's déja vu. Something there in the young man's words and mannerisms called out from a place he didn't know, or maybe had forgotten? He wasn't sure. Looking at the open hands and friendly attitude, Ferat instinctively made fists under his cloak. Those gestures looked perfectly friendly, at least towards him, but behind them his mind saw a jumble of violent images all the same.

In the end he let out a surprised, thoughtful "...huh", and nodded back, before refocusing on the mob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resonant Hammer's Descent

"I.. Violence is not my..." Resonant Hammer's Descent tapers off as the young woman dashes off into the city. It seemed that further violence was inevitable. He turned towards the gate, and the stream of people slowly filtering into the town. The more people that come in, the more that are going to get hurt. Hell, if this goes bad there could be a stampede.

Resonant Hammer moves back into the arch of the gate, his bulk effectively blocking the flow of traffic. "Due to civil unre-" Resonant Hammer realises that his quiet manner can't be heard over the general din. He clears his throat and tries again. "Ahem. Due to civil unrest Zala is sealed until further notice" he bellows, reaching back into his cart for a pot, his hands filling with the strength of his will. He pulls the lump of iron from the cart, already shaping it into a thick bar as the air around him erupts into light, the half sun on his brow shining brightly. "We thank you for your patience." His hands become a blur, pots, and tongs, and horseshoes melting under his touch, quickly forming a grate that blocks the influx of traffic.

[Craftsman Needs no Tools: 6m, full Crafts (Architecture) Excellency: 6m]
[12d6; 6 successes]

Reactions: Sarky
Gentle River

While in training, Ajurda Malen had always told River to assess each situation, determine likely outcomes, and then ensure he was in charge of how the situation went, no matter what. It was a lesson he'd internalised thoroughly. He took a quick moment to scan the scene again: at least two of the people here were.... like him. Three, in fact. The giant was doing something over at the gate and glowing like a torch, and above the archer was surveying the scene. The air was ripe with the potential for violence. He could try to talk people down, and possibly succeed, but the facts were this: this town was a powderkeg waiting for a spark, and in all likelihood it would explode before the spark went out.

Take control of how the situation flows. Twist a situation to your advantage, and hearts will follow after.

River stepped back, his face shifting instantly from serenity to a look of genuine horror and dismay as the circle-and-dot symbol of his caste flared to life on his brow and golden light limned his limbs. Loud enough to carry, he called out in a clear voice that carried across the town square "I mean you no harm but I will defend myself!"

And he stepped neatly forward and punched the biggest, ugliest motherfucker in front of him directly in the nose just as hard as he possibly could.

OOC: Rolling Join Battle, enhanced by Open Palm Caress. 4m peripheral. As long as at least one person beats my Join Battle roll everyone watching (including the people I'm attacking) will genuinely believe that I'm the victim of an unprovoked attack in the face of all available evidence. They can try to make a reflexive Read Intentions roll to beat my Guile and see through this, and I gain 1 initiative for each person I successfully fool to a maximum of my manipulation. Spending an additional 1m peripheral on Shadow Over Day to raise my Guile by 1 for the tick to 5. Anima is at Glowing level. Essence Pool is at 13/24.

Initiative starts at 4, depending on any extra gained from bystanders etc.

Red Snow's Herald

Now THAT'S making a scene.

A smile slides unbidden across Red's face as she see's the Archer draw the crowd's attention. It turns into a grin as she sees the giant making a grate and the prettyboy throw a punch. She's found her tribe.
Red allows her fury to flow through her as she strides into the chaos, feeling the mark on her forehead awaken. A low snarl fills the air as Wolf's Hunger falls into her hand from, well, wherever the hell it is she sends it, and her anima flares as she falls into the rhythm of the war dance that sings in her blood. She allows her fury to flow through her and past her, forcing the onlookers to take heed of her might. 6 feet of dense muscle, the pelt of a white wolf over her shoulders and a gleaming silver halberd resting in her hand as if it weighed as much as a bamboo cane, she strides into the middle of the crowd, anima blazing around her. She is the Red Queen, war and blood and death incarnate, and they will witness her.

"My name is Red Snow's Herald. My father was the North Wind and my mother was a bear. THere is no honour in killing you, lay down your arms or die in this street like dogs."

Red is ending her commitment to Summoning the Loyal Steel, recalling Wolf's Hunger. Activating Harmonious Presence Meditation (7 motes) and White Reaper Form (8 motes). Her anima is now Iconic. Peripheral Essence pool is 13/33

Reactions: Excession
Ferat:

Well this was certainly a spectacle.
Ferat chuckled. "I think the blazing warrior-queen over there also makes a valid point, to be honest. Look, I don't want to tell you what to do, but all I'm saying is I wouldn't fancy my chances in a fight with any of these folks." He looked thoughtful for a moment, glanced at the man who had lashed out at the handsome man who'd tried to help resolve the tension. "Especially the pretty boy."

He took a knee to rub Shalla's flanks, shrugging back the cloak so his smashfists were plain to see, masterwork of jade and filigree of materials Ferat didn't recognise. He looked at the mob, waiting to see if they made the smart choice.

• Love
Reactions: Ragoza
Radiant Shine

The city is a riot of golden light, as if wandering stars seek to outshine each other. As if the city would make its new dawn literal. As if, Shine thinks, someone was determined to do the equivalent of standing in the middle of a temple, covered in excrement, screaming 'all gods are bastards.'

He bids Ba Sao move out of the line of caravans and carts, pouring a cup of tea from an elegant but understated pot as the hulking beast brings his traveling surgery level with the masterful craftsman.

"If we are to wait, o wayward brother," he says, smiling faintly behind his moustaches, "may I offer you some tea?"

Iskandr

Very well.

Iskandr leaps from the roof, to a balcony one storey down on the other side of the street, and to the street itself. A ragged and resplendent figure in shades of bronze and dusty gold, the Hunter strides through the crowd to the prospective targets of all this public rage, seeking someone in their middle years, someone not entirely consumed by panic. Someone who will see the writing on the wall, and play along to save their life.

"And you. Will you feed the hungry? Will you shelter the weak? Tell your people what you will do for them, and be not afraid or ashamed."

Resonant Hammer looks around upon hearing the quiet voice from outside the gate. He starts briefly when he realises that he needn't look down to meet the stranger's eyes, until he takes in the yedim he is perched upon. "Tea would be lovely, friend, but maybe it should wait until these ruffians have been dealt with."

[Join Batlle: 5 successes, 8 initiative]

He turns from the gate and marches forward into the square, pulling a hammer from his belt as he does so.

@FuzzMonster @Sarky @Chaka @Ragoza

After the strange foundry-like crash at the gate some streets away, a great calm settles upon the mob. The elders are released, sobbing and running hands over bloodied pates of pulled and cropped hair. Everyone is dividing attention between the daylight pouring from your bodies to the great scythe and mien in Red Snow, the shadowed aspect of the Archer, the fading peal of the bell, and gawking at their fellow who seemingly attacked the young noble. His pals drop their razors and stare directly at River, then their friend.

One finally speaks up, "Fuck you doin', Anja?" The other, "Man, they got the fuckin' Bull-glow like them priests was screaming about. You wanna kill us all?"

Any and all weapons in the crowd are being dropped. Murmurs rise like the tides.

@Chaka

As soon as his friend says, 'you wanna kill us all,' the man, Anja, spits out a few teeth from the sucker punch. The razor slips from his fingers as his hands dip into the blood dribbling from his mouth. His face scrunches in anger and utter confusion, then clarity. The usual question of 'why' becomes 'you're dead, friend' with conviction.

Initiative 5. Defense 2.

@FuzzMonster

The older man tries to peer at you, but can't for the shadows and light at play in your anima. He does, however, approach in a wary fashion, hands out to show no harm. He throws vicious glances at the brute squaring with your spiritual kinsman, but speaks to you. "We will do as we have always done in this land. We will survive. You don't know what's happened here. Justice is strange to outlanders. Be you Medoan? Have you seen the chattel trains? The dishonor to our ancestors and their sacred work?"

@Ragoza

"...Is the Bull finally coming to claim Medo?" A young lad of ten summers, stones for throwing still in hand, asks from behind a stout looking man.

@Sarky

The giant from the gate is rounding the corner and looking upon the now-stilled riot.

@Hair

Goddamn. Look at this. A lot of recognizable flairs of light pouring out of some of these strangers, cowing the mob to a sullen group of whisperers.

@Excession

Ba Sao looks at the impromptu grate the craftsman threw against the gate, could nudge it over well enough if need be. It could be shoved aside. Many of the people around the bonfire of saddles and now unrecognizable bounty gape.

Familiar terms start wafting up to your ears. "Anathema?" "The Bull has returned..." "We're doomed!" "You see, this is our curse for these events!"

Ferat:

Ferat gave Shalla one last pat and stood up to see to the victims of the shears, a goatskin of water produced from the recesses of his cloak, speaking as kindly as years mostly spent shunning civilisation would allow.
"Hey there, I have water, let's clean up those cuts. My name is Ferat. Please, just rest and breathe. Are you cold? Take my cloak. Let's find someone to fix you up. Hey, big man!" he turned to the giant who'd come from the clanging at the gate, "You a healer? You know one?"

Reactions: FuzzMonster
Gentle River

River can barely suppress a grin as the lumbering oaf, spitting teeth and blood and fury, stumbles towards him. He'd held back, hoping for this strike. It would serve his ends perfectly.

"Wait, please! I never did anything to y-" River calls out, stumbling back from the wild haymaker. To the untrained eye he seems to almost lose his balance, reaching out desperately and narrowly brushing the man's wrist with his hand, barely blocking the strike. Only an expert warrior would have any hope of seeing the deliberateness of the move. As he does he seems so aggrieved and helpless, despite the clear signs of power around him as his anima flares to life, that only the stoniest of hearts could not be moved.

Spending 5m personal on Harmonious Presence Meditation for 3 bonus dice on all non-Stealth social influence rolls and a one-mote discount on all social charms for the rest of the scene. As the attack drops his initiative below my new score of 8 (following on from the Initiative gain for fooling witnesses with Open Palm Caress) I'm also spending 6m peripheral to reflexively enter Black Claw Form, giving me +1 evasion and one automatic success on disengage and withdraw rolls, as well as reducing the initiative cost for those actions by one. If I attack an opponent within close range of one of their allies who has a positive Tie to me (or if they have a positive Tie to me themselves) my target takes a -1 Defense penalty. Finally spending an additional 5m personal on Torn Lotus Defense for +1 Defense and Parrying the attack. As my Parry is 6 I easily block the attack, and make an immediate counterattack roll of (Manipulation+Presence+1 for my attacker's Essence rating+3 from Harmonious Presence Meditation) and apply the results against the Resolve of the attacker and any witnesses (since I'm in Black Claw Form). Anyone who doesn't defend against this roll will be instilled with a positive Tie of love or admiration towards me.

Essence Pools are at 3/23 (5m regained at the top of the initiative ladder), anima is up a step to Burning. Initiative is 8.

Resonant Hammer rounds the corner just in time to see the thug attempt to strike the young man form the gate. In an instant he hefts the hammer in his right hand and lets fly.

[1m on Precision of the Striking Raptor, lowering Anja's Defense to 1; Launching a Decisive attack]

As the hammer leaves Resonant Hammer's hand it glows bright with the Sun's radiance, blinding the aggressive thug as it strikes his eye.

[Resetting Initiative to 3; Peripheral pool at 15/33]

Gentle River

River cocks an amused eyebrow as the golden hammer whines just over his shoulder and cold-clocks the thug in the face. As the man staggers back from the stunning force of the blow, River delicately steps forward and catches the guy with a gentle hand on the shoulder to stop him falling. As he did so he leaned in a little and whispered gently in his ear.

"You know, you really just brought this on yourself."

He gives the thug a friendly smile and sucker-punches him in the gut point blank.

Decisive attack. Spending 1wp to make this an ambush as per Open Palm Caress' secondary effect, so the thug's Defense is 0.

5 successes to hit, rolling 8 dice of bashing damage.

5 levels of bashing damage. Initiative resets to 3, 4 willpower points left, essence pool still at 3/23.

Resonant Hammer breaks the sudden stillness following the thug's fall, approaching the site of the scuffle and retrieving his hammer. He glances at the dying man beside him. "That got out of hand. You ok, little dove?" He looks over at River, stands, and puts a protective hand on his shoulder. He addresses the crowd, "you should all return to your homes, and pray to the Dragons for deliverance. The streets appear to be unsafe today."

He turns to Ferat. "I'm not a healer myself, but I met one at the gate. I'll return with him presently." He squeezes River's shoulder [assuming River hasn't pulled away], "you coming, little dove?"

Gentle River

River looks down at the man in the dirt before him, curled up around two broken ribs. He's breathing. Good. You lost yourself to the violence, and the way it makes them love you. You can't be like this. You're not her weapon anymore. They're so fragile now, even big bullying brutes like this one. You sowed the seeds you wanted here, but what may you reap?

Shaking himself out of the reverie, he squeezed the giant hand on his shoulder like an old friend. "Yes, I'm fine. Thank you." He lets his stance shift slightly, ignoring the siren call of Mara's art of loving war. "Please, let's find this man a healer."

As he turns away, he notices the way they stare at the glowing, golden boy. Some are in awe, and not a few show naked lust in their eyes. A few more beaten street-rats and they'll die for you. is that all you want to be?

OOC: releasing the committed motes for Black Claw Form and Harmonious Presence Meditation.

"Come along then, this way." Radiant Hammer gently herds River back the way he came towards the gate. " You should be more careful, young man. I'm almost certain that he was fixing to kill you." He reaches to his belt and takes his hammer from its loop.

[Spending 6m from my personal pool to activate Craftsman Needs no Tools]

"You're Anathema, like me, like that howling barbarian up there." He removes the head from the hammer and begins rolling it between his hands, shaping it into a rod, tapering at both ends. He pinches a roundel out about a third of the way up, and with quick chopping motions turns the longer end into a wicked triangular spike. Tucking the blade into his belt he takes the haft of the hammer and breaks off a small section. Raising it to his lips he blows a narrow hole from the core then fixes it below the roundel of the dagger. With a final strike of the heel of his hand he rivets the end of the tang to the blade. Using his thumb nail he shaves the handle down to a diameter suitable for River's hand and scores the grip with cross hatching.

"You really shouldn't be going about unarmed."

[Rolling Craft (Weaponsmith)]

[Is it appropriate for this to be applied as an instill action, forming a positive tie in River for Resonant Hammer?]

Resonant Hammer smiles as they reach the gate, proffering the newly made knife to River. "I go by Resonant Hammer's Descent, I do wish we could have made our acquaintance under better circumstances."

"Ho, friend," he gets somber once again as he addresses the doctor on the yedim. "Don't suppose you have any tea left? My young friend here was assaulted." He pats River gently on the back, grimaces a little. "I'm afraid that we have work for you, as well"