Shadow of a Doubt

With Alysia as a guide, the handmaiden carefully fixed Cordelia's hair into a set of braids twisting and weaving up into an elegant array. The princess liked to talk a lot about Faledrin and how much she missed it. "You'd thing with how dreary it is one could hardly find nostalgia," she had said, but it was clear in her sheltered childhood she really knew nothing of the troubles the citizens endured. Perhaps it was not something her father ever bothered to teach her. After all, she was destined to marry outside of Faledrin and move away to a distant land to solidify an alliance.

Parties such as the one they would attend today were part of her nostalgia. The dresses and conversation and friendships she held with certain nobles were part of her sheltered upbringing. She was encouraged to attend, to be a royal presence among the people that mattered to the king; the people that helped run this country in its state that only benefitted the upper echelon. They would even talk vaguely of business, to which shed no light on the poor working conditions of their workers. In her ramblings it would be clear she didn't know any better.

"I suppose I've talked for too long," Alysia said with a chuckle. "Ever since I left for Dradmida I've not had opportunity to make new friends. Yet here I am blathering about me. Tell me about you! What do you like? What do you do?"

vqGhRau.png

A part of Cordelia enjoyed the idea of espionage... of conning someone into believing something - the manipulation. She was good at it, too... had been, even without her abilities, but more so when they were used. But there was something in lying to Sothal's sister that sat poorly with her. The girl seemed nice - oblivious, but nice and the way that she had stepped in to help Cordelia spoke of a character that wasn't often seen in those with value to their name.

As she spoke, Cordelia listened, really listened and when Alyse paused and apologized for monopolizing the conversation, Cordelia only laughed and shook her head, "I assure you, I don't mind. Honestly, I've never had a sister of my own, and all the men want to talk about is strategy and tactics. Politics. It gets dreadfully dull."

Looking at her reflection, she blinked, taking in her appearance as if seeing herself for the first time... and really, truly, it did feel that way. Alyse's handmaiden had done wonders, and while Cordelia wasn't unattractive to begin with, there was something in the way she had been pulled together that was quite different...

"As for me, I'm afraid there's not much to tell. I live a rather drab life. I suppose it's part of why tonight feels so overwhelming." Tucking a stray strand behind her ear, she frowned, gingerly, "Truth be told, your brother rather rescued me, bringing me here for this. I realize I shouldn't complain... there are so many out there with worse lives than mine, but it is a lonely one." Turning, she looked up to Alyse with a bright smile, "I suppose we'll find out tonight if I enjoy a good party or not. Tell me... does Emrys dance?"

With a wave of her hand she sent the handmaiden away to stand in the corner. Laughter chimed from the princess as she shook her head in the thought. "What man or woman in Faledrin doesn't? We are obsessed with being just like Thalls," she said with a shrug. "They're so prosperous, you know. Decadence beyond what even this family owns. Our parents made it a fad to act as our neighbors."

She pulled out a box of rouge and dusted Cordelia's cheeks with the soft powder, her head tilting as she eyed over her effort. It carried a faint perfume of a floral variety, and the design of the box was very Thall in design.

"Faledrin is a failing kingdom," she continued to Cordelia in a quieter tone. "Dancing and parties are something we've always done to forget. To make us feel like it will be alright. And with my most recent marriage Faledrin has pulled itself out of a hole we weren't sure we could come out of. We may yet see Faledrin become just as prosperous as Thallas in our lifetime!"

She rose from her seat urging Cordelia to do the same as she clasped her hands around hers and gave them a squeeze. "You shall have to dance with him today," Alysia said with a smile. "There is a bit of politics involved I'm sure you are aware of, but apart from that I fancy giving him a hard time about it. He's so rigid. Are you ready? I believe now we can be tastefully late for a good entrance."

vqGhRau.png

"Indeed?" Cordelia posed it as a question, yet in her own mind she knew all too well the failing welfare of the city. There was no happy, political unions that would pull Windfeld out of the gutter. Prosperity was reserved for the noble and those with money to burn... The rest would suffer and starve and still go overlooked by their king.

"Well, you can hardly tell. Everything I've seen is absolutely opulent. Beautiful. Ours is a much more humble home, and what Emrys has shown me around here, it hardly compares." Rising, as Aylse urged her upright, she looked to the mirror and for a moment, there was silence as she took in her appearance, "My word..." She breathed, smiling faintly, "You've quite outdone yourself. It's lovely. Thank you."

Cheeks colored pink beneath the rouge, she looked to the princess again and her smile brightened, "You really have been too kind. And I cannot say enough how grateful I am. I thought for sure I was going to have to hide in my room all night. There's always politics involved in everything, but it is a relief to find common courtesy is not lost in all nobility." Smoothing her skirt, she nodded, "I think I'm ready. Hopefully I haven't made you too late."