Skeletons in the Closet

o52UvLE.png
A genuine, heartfelt smile spread across Ethan's face as Kitty's words made their mark. He was rarely the type to get all sentimental, being the kind of person that he is, but hearing her words made him reflect on the things that have happened thus far. The young man sighed, throwing his arms in the air and placing them at the back of his head, reclining. "I like to think so too..." In what seemed like the first time since forever, Ethan looked serious, as in dead serious.

Preston, actually...Not just Preston, his mother must be dead worried about him by now. Hell, everyone else's friends and family were probably scrambling around Whittle Grove this very moment, pleading with the local law enforcement to make sure their children are out there, somewhere, unscathed.

He, they had to make it out alive out of this place. Returning Kitty's wry smile with one of his own, Ethan beamed at her, weary eyes betraying his grin. "Thanks, Kitty. That...that means a lot."

Trying to clear the air, Ethan nodded at Kitty, saying that this was a convenience store, though he was unsure if she even knew what a convenience store was, surely these little corner shops can't be that old. Again, he had to be reminded that what he sees isn't exactly as it seems. "Well..." Ethan said, voice trailing off.

"It's 2017, that much I know...I think it's still October..."
Time was hard to keep track of, especially when you've been trapped for the past few whoknowswhat in a spooky manor. "'Round this time of year tourists start popping up, they stay for the fair that's held every 31st, grab some quality pumpkins, or quote-unquote investigate all the haunts. It's not much, but hey, it keeps business booming."

Truth be told, in all his two or so years living in Bellwoods, there hasn't been too much excitement that didn't involve getting dragged around by his group of friends. He stopped himself when Kitty told him about her own version of Bellwoods...He had to agree though, life can be pretty unfair sometimes, "But sometimes...you just have to roll with the punches y'know? Life gave ya lemons? You don't just make lemonade, you share it with everyone else in the neighborhood." Whether that was supposed to be a message of cooperation or misery loving company, was left uncertain.

When a soft, maternal voice came from the entrance, Ethan's eyes immediately shot up to the roof. Oh dear, Jesus Christ, Nana Lyons. She looked as dainty as ever, and Ethan had the urge to help her, but he only had to glance at Kitty's frowning face to keep on repeating himself.

It'sNotTrueIt'sNotTrueIt'sNotTrueIt'sNotTrue

You aren't in back in Bellwoods, this is all a mirage, this is all an illusion, it's fake, it's balderdash.

Ethan began to stammer, at a loss for words. "Uhm, I just thought...y'know..." He put up a fake smile, hoping it didn't look too out-of-place. "Getting a quick snack, can't hang out with your home boys on a light stomach, right? Haha." He laughed nervously, he didn't want to be rude but he quickly excused himself from the elder, grabbing Kitty's arm without any prior notice and bolting out of the store ASAP, not even trying to look back if Nana Lyons was going to transform into some fleshy abomination, if what she said was true then they needed to get to the Red Copper soon.

Walking the streets of "Bellwoods" again felt surreal, a place he had set foot on for what seemed like countless of times felt so strange, as if he had been disconnected. He glanced back at Kitty, who was still hopefully trailing behind him, he asked, still in sprint. "Ya think we should heed her words or just ditch this dump?"

Last edited:
Jace_Banner.png
The sight of yet another familiar face as they approached the Red Copper made Jace's stomach drop. It was Matt; smiling and glad to see them as usual. Of course he would be out front of his family's establishment, where he often cleaned up the parking lot. There was someone missing though, a very important four-legged someone. This read as a good omen, even as they were able to see Marten there with their doggo dad friend. It made it feel less likely that Marten was a clone, as if by some chance Peter didn't make duplicates of those already in Henbard. That and her outfit was... strange, to say the least. It definitely didn't seem like something she would normally wear.

"I don't know.. Why would Peter duplicate Matt and Marten, but not Jo? I mean, surely that's not Matt, but I'm pretty sure that that's Marten." Jace whispered back. He understood Kelsey's skepticism and wasn't trying to brush off her concerns. Rather, he shared them; however, part of him was holding on to that obscure hope deep inside that the Marten before their eyes was indeed the Marten they entered Henbard with.

"We were just going for a swim in the fountain." He smirked and looked into the fake Matt's eyes. Peter was good and evidentially knew a lot about Bellwoods. "That's a good question." Jace remarked, wanting nothing to do with the faker. His smirk softened a little as he turned to Marten. "Merten?" He appealed to the grunette then, searching her face for the warmth and familiarity that the clones seemed to lack.

"What happened..." He paused to glance at the Matt clone a moment before continuing. "What happened after the meadow? I take it you didn't find Adelaide?"

Dmi2hvn3-hJoVBgLPXrS87zwXSMlm3elJg_eUXmBuiAvTebvRXcOAToocVuTLIM3z_GWNPu_CDU-YZqtKWZmD19NzBLClZa-lDyNyOmuz4_G_7rFAj_rtRz4w-9eLvybujghAaPV

There wasn't enough relief in the world to express how happy she was to hear Jace's voice. And it had to be Jace, because who else was that perfectly sarcastic. The guy had natural talent. Maybe that's why Ethan was determined to have his babies... super-duper, sarcasm-spewing babies. Taking her eyes off Not_Matt long enough to redirect her focus and wayward thoughts, she smoothly navigated closer to her larger group of peers than the imitation Doggo Dad and Co. Was that Mr. Clyde? Although, she didn't know how much help it actually was, probably more of a shallow comfort for her nerves. If any actual transforming happened, then Marten sorely doubted she would be fast enough to move out of the way with more than one chimera to face.

Regardless, she would take her relief and run with it if she had too. "Hey Tarzan." She gave the bronze-skinned... Of which she could see a lot more of than usual?! She distinctly heard the sound of a disrupted record go off in her mind. "Oh my god, you're n-naked!" The exclamation felt highly appropriate mind you. Yes they were in a schizoid nexus and yes they might die horrible deaths sooner rather than later, but Marten tried really hard to take all her moments one at a time. And at this moment her cheeks felt more on fire than after she had taken Peter's school girl punch.

Covering her face properly trying to avert her gaze from the man chest, she refocused on Kelsey, because Kelsey was safe to look at! Only to find the brunette similarly lacking full clothing with Kindle in the same predicament to boot! "What the hell happened!?"

What the hell didn't happen tonight...
"Urgh, I don't have time for lady boners right now..." Whimpering dejectedly, Marten settled stubbornly turning her body a staunch 90 degrees, much more willing to take in the details of Not_Bellwoods than look at her friends full on. Especially not down! She had had way too much shit and way too little sleep to handle scandalous swim wear on top of everything else.

"Well... aside from the obvious costume changes, we played Mario Kart. And I tied with the friendly neighborhood Slenderman. I... I also lost Kitty's stuff and Kindle's bat... there was a ring?" She repeated feeling confident that she had lowered her voice enough to not be obnoxiously loud with information but able to sufficiently inform the group. Even though, that didn't seem to matter. This Peter guy was always watching. He knew their town, their friends, and even certain personality traits and insecurities. It's like he took pleasure in throwing new stuff at them. They were just going to have to throw new stuff back.

2ij7CmHMe5v66-0r78hXPSJsE07Lf85VImadDcZTfO3GRq1IDyOuKqCrPsFarIPjOE27mvtYjqdLTYj0PNLNNPTlvzBUGAOt608-336STNPBR4lWl2oEgbVVrQ5yAxa0jllffuoa
Jace made a very good point. Joseff wasn't there because he was somewhere else. During their short stay in the hell that was the Rabbit Hole, Kelsey had yet to see a clone of anyone who was actually in Henbard. It was a small relief, knowing that they had this idea to fall back on, but who was to say He wouldn't change the rules when he grew bored with this game?

She ignored Matt then, choosing to focus on Marten instead.

"Like Jace said," Kelsey groaned. "We went for a swim. Nothing as fun as Mario Kart though, but we did ride a jellyfish." She was more exasperated than scared now even though her heart was still beating like a drum in her chest. Was this really Marten? The familiar cheer and colorful comments seemed to say that it definitely was.

"You might as well take a long look while you can, Marten," Kelsey teased as she made the saddest excuse for jazz hands in front of Jace and Kindle's bare chests. "If we're going to die, we might as well take all we can get, eh?"

She was starting to miss a certain fireman.

Of course, there were more important matters. "Kindle? You holding out okay?" They needed to make sure he didn't catch his death of cold, at least, not until they found Ana and everyone else and made it out alive.
35nx9mW.png
Matt listened politely, not at all perturbed by the strange coldness Jace and Kelsey seemed to be treating him with. He wore the same thin smile Mr. Clyde wore, polite but distant. It seemed as if everything they'd said had slipped in one ear and out the other. "I'm glad everyone is back together. Now that we're all here, we should head inside and get you warmed up."

Mr. Clyde was the same, he ignored everything everyone else had said and continued on as if he were playing some role in a play. "I'll wait outside for the others, Matt. You should go ahead and run along inside."

"Yessir! You heard him, guys. Let's go."

With that said, Matt lead the small group into the first floor of the Red Copper in. It was just as they remembered it, a diner with cozy wooden tables and chairs scattered about. There was the distinct smell of beef stew in the air, and a cozy almost alluring warmth radiated from the fire place. "Lunch is just about ready, please sit down and rest." He looked to Jace, Kelsey, and Kindle. "There are bathrobes on the counter. You guys know where everything else is. The rest should be here shortly."

wLuyZusek4Ygxu_V7Wq7VgYnoOakTCLf8ucgkaXD_nObVLhzqjRw5xWBDCnLrW4FnWc2stokvwnf6PuOHQrFEg71gp7ASIZ0bfjcGOz9oupW3tVXSz8ErJB7DWRunxPadQ7VX2lL
2017? She'd lost track of time after the first few years, but she hadn't been expecting this large of a time gap. Kitty's lips pulled into a tight frown, she had nothing to go back to. She knew that already of course, but knowing for sure was another pain entirely. "Thank you. Now that I know for sure, nothing will hold me back." There was nothing left to lose, no more false hope to cling to. Ethan's sentiment regarding lemonade and rolling with the punches was bittersweet, but she couldn't find it in her to smile. The decades in Henbard had not been kind to any of its residents.

Anyway, there was no time to be sentimental. There were more pressing matters - the old lady who Ethan seemed to know.

She was right. He knew him, the way he reacted - tugging her out of the store in a rush - spoke volumes. "Who is that supposed to be? Your grandmother?" When Ethan suggested they leave the old woman and the store behind, Kitty shook her head. "I wish we could, but this is his world. We don't have anywhere else to go. If you want to find your friends and go home, you need to play his game. I know it's a shot in the dark, but it's just something you need to do." She gave Ethan a squeeze on the shoulder then, out of all the loud kids who'd wandered into Henbard tonight, she figured she liked him best.

Kitty had just about finished giving her advice when Matt's grandmother exited the store after them.

"Ethan dear? Why are you in such a rush? Meeting Preston today are we?" She caught up to them. "You look a little pale honey, we should get some food in you before you go." Oddly, she ignored Kitty, as if the woman were no longer part of this elaborate game they seemed to be playing.

Grandma Lyons didn't wait for a reply, merely walked ahead (much faster than her real self) to lead them to the inn.

Kitty followed, tugging the dazed Ethan along.

Eventually, they reached the parking lot where Mr. Clyde was waiting for them.

"Rosie," Mr. Clyde called out in greeting. "I see you've brought some guests?"

"Yes, they're my grandson's friends," the woman replied before finally turning to Ethan and Kitty. "Why don't you two go ahead and run along inside? I believe my grandson and your friends are already there. I'll catch up."

Kitty arched an eyebrow in response but didn't protest. "Shall we?" She asked as she turned to Ethan.

o52UvLE.png
Ethan looked downtrodden as Kitty spoke the bitter truth. It was always a hard pill to swallow, and knowing Ethan, he wasn't always the type to swallow. She was right...If he wanted to have the tiniest bit of chance of seeing him and his friends alive out of this mess, it was to play along, at least for the time being.

Sweat began trickling all over his body, from the paranoia and the running, it was all a rush that he didn't want to deal with it. "Y-You're right..." He lamented.

It didn't take long for Nana Lyons to catch up with them...Wait, just how fast were her feet able to carry her? Ethan was sure he was practically at sprint, and surely he and Kitty didn't take that too long of a time trying to debate over what to do next. Stuttering again, his hands twitchy and his voice worried, Ethan expressed his such. "S-Sorry, Nana, it's just-"

She didn't even wait to hear them out before walking away from them. He and Kitty following behind. It must be the way the Rabbit Hole was working its magic because it seemed like they were already there at the Red Copper-well the parking lot anyway-in no time at all.

"W-What the-"
Aghast, the young boy's face was that of confusion. Either Nana Lyons is secretly a Time Lord, or she tapped into the Speed Force without telling either of them. That or she might have an illustrious Stand. Really, all of them felt plausible to varying degrees.

He looked at Kitty, still a bit shook from the whole wonky way time was working, but she only responded in kind. This kind of stuff must be expected...

"I don't like this...Not one bit." Ethan bit his lip, murmuring his displeasure at being faced with their current situation, it was their only option right now however...He looked at Kitty, face mirroring his doubts, "As long as I can count on you to have my back."

With that, they were inside, the ever-lingering feeling of dread haunting him.

Jace_Banner.png
Lady... boner? Jace blinked at Marten, his face gradually turning red until even his ears burned. The frustration (and not the angry kind) was clear on his face; Kelsey's jazz hands didn't help in the least. He cleared his throat after a moment, plastering on as serious an expression as he could muster and eying them grimly. This was neither the time nor the place for inappropriate jokes and sexual tension, especially not when most of that tension was his own.

"We're not going to die." Jace scolded Kelsey through pursed lips. He wasn't ready to accept that as even a remote possibility, at least not anymore; and she shouldn't be either. "Also.. it's probably best if you don't tell Kitty about her items." He murmured to Marten, recalling how catty the older maid had been towards Marten just earlier in the meadow. It was possible that the grunette's stomping off Kitty's arm had something to do with it, but it seemed like there was more to it than that. He expected that Kitty would notice her items were missing, though.

"Why is Mr. Clyde in charge here? If anyone, I imagine Ms. Brackett or pops woud be calling the shots?" He whispered to the girls as he shot the fake Matt a look and ushered his friends indoors. "No, pop wouldn't be here. He'd be in the woods, leading the search party." Jace thought, relieved that he hadn't seen any of his family members in this fake yet eerily realistic Bellwoods. Not that he was taking orders from the fake Mr. Clyde, Jace marched over to the counter and snatched up the bathrobes. He threw one each around Kelsey and Milton before putting donning one himself. It felt a great deal much better than freezing.

"You should dry off properly, before you get any sicker." Using the sleeves of his robe, Jace began to vigorously towel dry Milton's hair. "Better yet, why don't you go sit by the fire and warm up?" Hands on his shoulders, Jace guided his friend towards the fireplace where there were a couple of empty chairs. Something caught his eye that made him pause, two somethings actually. One was a familiar black pea coat with gray fur trim that hung over the back of one of the chairs; and the second was a large, grayish brown furry something laying at the foot of that chair.

"K-Kenai?" Jace croaked out, his face paling. No, it couldn't be Kenai. If there was a search party, it was without a doubt that Kenai would be a part of it. He was an excellent tracker and would prove an asset in the search for the missing kids. That was not his Kenai; it was Peter's rendition of him. That coat also meant that there was a rendition of Jace's sister somewhere close by. That fur-trimmed coat was Nita's favorite fall and winter accessory. Jace's fingers curled into Milton's robe, fists clenching until his knuckles popped. Peter was only adding fuel to the fire that was Jace's temper.

Dmi2hvn3-hJoVBgLPXrS87zwXSMlm3elJg_eUXmBuiAvTebvRXcOAToocVuTLIM3z_GWNPu_CDU-YZqtKWZmD19NzBLClZa-lDyNyOmuz4_G_7rFAj_rtRz4w-9eLvybujghAaPV
Of course Kelsey was unperturbed. She was perfectly set in her flirtationship with the fireman! "Jazz hands, really?" She'd sigh and sidle up to the girl she had genuinely missed for the past few weeks. If nothing else went right tonight, Marten was pleased as punch to have gone out with the best damn friends a girl could ask for. "We've got to work on your presentation skills. Obviously this level of abdominal excellence requires double dream feet." The grunette cracked a joke that she'd laugh at even if no one else would.

I'll miss the internet most of all... She thought semi-morbidly while they transitioned to indoor Not_Bellwoods from outdoors. Peter was a fine details sort, for sure. "Geez..." It really did look like Red Copper. What the hell were they dealing with? It was one thing to find out magic was real. Suck it Kris Angel! And another entirely to deal with a full on mystical adept. Maybe if they had super, special powers or were in an actual videogame there would be a beter chance, but as it was they were going to be hard-pressed fighting this thing on its own turf.

Ruminating on her thoughts, the Speed Racer would take a seat in one of the chairs, not quite so close to the fireplace lest she burn up in the heat with her suit on. They really needed to come up with some kind of plan.

35nx9mW.png
Matt smiled blithely as his friends settled around the inn. It seemed he was completely oblivious to everyone's suspicion, or if he wasn't, he simply didn't seem to care. "Grandma left the stove running, so the food should be ready in a bit." As soon as the words left his mouth, the distinct smell of freshly baked bread began to fill the inn. Peter wasn't just a master of details, he was a master at playing with the human senses as well. The bread had a pumpkin-scented aroma to it, one that would undoubtedly remind the group of the bakeries around Bellwoods during October - of the famous pumpkin sprout loaf that tourists loved.

"Yep! Just a few minutes now. Make yourselves at home guys!" With that, the blonde disappeared into the kitchen.

2ij7CmHMe5v66-0r78hXPSJsE07Lf85VImadDcZTfO3GRq1IDyOuKqCrPsFarIPjOE27mvtYjqdLTYj0PNLNNPTlvzBUGAOt608-336STNPBR4lWl2oEgbVVrQ5yAxa0jllffuoa
Now that Matt had left, it was just them in the emptiness that was the Red Copper inn. The bed and breakfast was far from huge, but now that all its regulars were nowhere in sight, it seemed much larger than Kelsey remembered. He was good. He'd gotten down the details just right, everything from the cozy fire place to the old oaken tables. It was difficult to remember none of this was real. All of it was overwhelming in its own way and she pursed her lips as she soaked in His creation.

She couldn't answer Jace's question. Why Mr. Clyde was in charge was beyond her.

"He might be planning something," she whispered back before Jace went to drag Kindle off toward the fireplace. "Good idea. We should get him warmed up before something else happens." Knowing their enemy, this moment of respite would not last forever. Kelsey had just put on one of the bathrobes when Jace's distraught voice pierced through the silence. Kenai was here? Her gaze landed on the dog and she frowned deeply. So many familiar faces. What was He planning?

She would have moved to comfort her childhood friend, but just then, two more familiar faces walked into the inn.

Relief washed over Kelsey when she noticed the resident milkman was safe, but it was short-lived because neither London nor Charlotte were anywhere in sight. Joseff and Castor were still missing too.

"Ethan, you're okay. London isn't with you?"
wLuyZusek4Ygxu_V7Wq7VgYnoOakTCLf8ucgkaXD_nObVLhzqjRw5xWBDCnLrW4FnWc2stokvwnf6PuOHQrFEg71gp7ASIZ0bfjcGOz9oupW3tVXSz8ErJB7DWRunxPadQ7VX2lL
Kitty felt the beginning of a headache. It appeared Charlotte was nowhere in sight either. "She must still be out there with Charlotte. If it helps, since you're all here. I have a feeling they'll be joining us soon."

It seemed like He was organizing a get-together. She didn't know why. "I see everyone is alright?" Kitty wanted to tell them that things were going terribly wrong and that they ought to be careful what they do next, but she couldn't, not when either of them could be fakes. She lowered her voice. "Do you still have the items?" If worse came to worst, they would be able to give them to her before Peter could use her against them.

mwwtPkBGhK-3OsPMoaB7gEO-uQKS-zK6ic_6Taab20EdzXTPv3NSdR2Tnpszzuqt3VCZLIYmv1L-Wm8JJ-AQMIhOjD5O_VnhL5_ugheKNlyajcMiyEBTmfZHFAg_SD_IqB6I7ZJ1
Bellwoods was empty. Other than the four people entering Bellwoods Plaza, no pigeons, cats or humans could seen in the area. The emptiness unnerved London. She hated the pigeon colony living near the fountain but their absence felt wrong. What happened to everyone in Bellwoods?

"What a lovely day," Mr. Nori commented.

"Yes. It's a good day to go buy a fresh loaf of pumpkin sprout bread. I feel like making cheese sandwiches with tomato soup tonight," Mrs. Nori added.

Charlotte perked up a little when the woman mentioned the bread. "I remember that! It's a brown crusty bread with pumpkin seeds on the crust. Dark brown yet sweet because of the molasses. The sisters really loved it."

Mrs. Nori smiled. "Pumpkin seeds, yes. That's the one. Nice and fresh."

It was the same conversation they had the morning London headed into Bellwoods. Minus Charlotte's part, of course. They'd caught her leaving earlier than usual, suspiciously with backpack and wooden katana in tow.

Mrs. Nori had been cooking at the stove while Mr. Nori tried fixing a broken board at the cafe's bus window. His favorite porcelain Japanese tea cup rested within reach, probably filled with a shot of espresso rather than green tea. And tomato soup? That was what Mrs. Nori liked to cook when the days got colder. London preferred her ramen no matter how good the tomato soup tasted.

He was not supposed to know these things, but he did.

London's insides twisted. She did not want to be there - did not want to see her memory of the Noris manipulated by someone hellbent on hurting her and her friends. Yet, there was a question she had to know. Something that she hoped Peter or Butzy or whoever He was would have an answer for, since he seemed so acutely aware of her personal life. "That's... nice." In all honesty, she couldn't care less about pumpkin sprout bread. "A-Anyway, did my mom-... is she-... she's not too worried, is she?"

"Your mother? What a fine woman she is! Very resourceful," Mr. Nori praised randomly. London quirked an eyebrow. "Did I tell you about the time she managed the pancake crisis two days ago? We were out of batter and the customers wanted some."

"What? That's not-" London started, but was swiftly interrupted.

"Oh no no, she meant her mother being worried. I think it's fine. I'll get gruyere cheese from the supermarket. She likes that, doesn't she?" Mrs. Nori cut in as if she wanted to correct her husband. Her reply wasn't quite accurate, either. This was her reply to something later on in the same conversation that morning. Words perfect, even.

"Um… I think she meant her mom would be worried about her," Charlotte explained. "I don't know why cheese should be worrying. I don't recall Miss London being lactose intolerant. She had quite a bit of cream and hot chocolate earlier and she seems fine."

"Yeah, I'm not-" London, again, found herself interrupted. She frowned. Either He didn't have an answer to tell or was purposefully keeping her in the dark. Neither one London appreciated.

"Lactose?" Mr. Nori asked.

"Oh, we lack toast!" Mrs. Nori exclaimed suddenly. "Dear, let's go to the supermarket. Beth needs to have her breakfast."
LrZ_5x84k82tNdRDPDFuOjwBeHtht38tb88tUqwXp0SMmzP80U49Ort3iGr-lefnZtaCq-w9k7aSzJk01IgNZoEwZh_5hrtNK1yTpcxNqOH34b9eNWG2Up0Eb5mI-i9VE_NdU9l3

Mrs. Nori let go of London's hand and started to walk towards the book shop. Charlotte couldn't help wondering if the bespectacled woman was half-blind. Based on what she remembered, book shops don't sell bread. Then again, it had been such a long time since she disappeared. Maybe they sell bread with books now. Shops were always selling new things like that black coca cola drinks in the drug stores.

"Books and bread," she wondered out loud. "Why would a book shop sell bread? Is it a cookbook shop perhaps, Miss London?"

Still frowning, London watched the old married couple wander towards the bookstore. "They don't," she said flatly, "not typically anyway." She made no move to follow the Noris. Instead, dropped her voice, "I think we should go on without them." London obviously wanted to get away. These were not her Mr. and Mrs. Nori. They were recordings of them on loop.

Charlotte nodded. She felt London grab her by the wrist and yank her forward. The ex-nun had only the vaguest recollection about this town. She remembered a small chapel close to the woods. This bubbling ornate fountain and the shop house surrounding it. The gothic architecture reminded her of her trip to Europe months before she came to Bellwoods for Easter. She couldn't recall anything else. Except that! She turned her head towards a particular shop window.

Many pairs of beady glass eyes met hers. She froze. Their uncanny smiles sent a chill down her spine. Mini Pumpkins. Lots and lots of them! They were all sitting suspiciously still. Yet she didn't trust them at all. One of them had to be the real Mini Pumpkin. She pulled away from London and approached the store window. She pressed her hands against the glass and continued to glare at them. She waited for one of them to move.

After a moment London followed her. The two women stood at the window, staring at the dolls in silence. Beside Charlotte, London slammed a hand against the window as if to startle whatever might be inside. None of the dolls moved. "It's in there, I just know it..." Clutching the two halves of her Cryptodex, she scowled. "Come out!" Smacked the window with the ruined half of the Cryptodex. "Hijo de puta…" Expressing her upset was apparently easier at the tourist shop window than at the Mr. and Mrs. Nori look-a-likes.

The dark haired girl reached for the doorknob to the shop, though just before her fingers brushed cool metal, she stopped. Retracted her hand. With one last glare at the window dolls, she made to leave. "Let's go, Charlotte," she said tersely, "Red Copper is this way."

"Okay." Charlotte didn't know what to say. London's outburst scared her, so she followed meekly behind the huffing girl. Her head was slightly bowed towards the ground. She prayed that London would cool down eventually.
mwwtPkBGhK-3OsPMoaB7gEO-uQKS-zK6ic_6Taab20EdzXTPv3NSdR2Tnpszzuqt3VCZLIYmv1L-Wm8JJ-AQMIhOjD5O_VnhL5_ugheKNlyajcMiyEBTmfZHFAg_SD_IqB6I7ZJ1
As they walked, London pointed out a building in the distance. In the blink of an eye the building appeared directly in front of them, cutting their five minute walk down to zero. London gawked. "What the-" she looked at the door, brows narrowing. Glared up at the sky, as though Peter could see her glowering. "Pendejo." He wanted them all together for some reason - that much was obvious - and if she hadn't wanted to be with her friends so badly, she'd have turned and walked away just to spite him.

Throwing the door open, London shoved herself through the door frame, giant dress skirt squishing to fit. Inside were her friends, accompanied by a tall man she didn't recognize nor bothered to get to know. She didn't remember him from dinner, so he was probably one of Peter's impostors.

Counting heads, London felt her shoulders relax. She was the last to arrive. Her attention fell on the others' outfits, curiosity tugging her mouth into a weary smile. "Hi, guys…" It was good to see them. She couldn't resist a more playful grin in Ethan's direction - Brokeback Mountain? Nice. The get-up looked nice on him. Likewise, Marten rocked a sleek speed racer suit; maybe there was merit in living a healthier lifestyle. At least Peter knows how to dress some of us. Granted, Charlotte's dress did flatter her, but London was unsure the same could be said for herself; she was far too uncomfortable to feel pretty. Kindall, Jace, and Kelsey on the other hand… London decided not to comment on their bathrobes. They looked easy to move around in, at least.

A thought struck as her eyes landed on a breathing heap of fur resting soundly by one of the fireplace chairs. Kenai, most likely. Her heart felt for Jace, but the dog reminded her of another furry friend who was actually supposed to be there, yet wasn't. "...Jo isn't here?"

Jace_Banner.png
Jace glared at the fake Matt over his shoulder, dark eyes following him until he disappeared into the kitchen. They darted between the fake Mr. Clyde and his fake canine companion before they settled on Kelsey. His brows furrowed not in anger, but in skepticism and concern. Why he looked to Kelsey, Jace had no idea. Perhaps it was because she was the connoisseur of everything weird and supernatural; although, it wasn't like she could answer any of his questions. She didn't know any more about what was going on than any of the rest of them. Perhaps it was to gauge her reaction to all of this?

"We are not eating anything." Jace said sternly. "It's the Rabbit Hole. Who knows what the hell is in it, or what it really even is. We might really trip shrooms then." The food in Henbard itself was sketchy at best, but food from the Rabbit Hole? It just sounded a million times worse. Besides, they'd just eaten before they entered; they didn't need to eat now. Well, Jace didn't need to eat; he couldn't say much for the others.

A little bit of relief washed over him when Ethan and Kitty entered the Inn followed shortly after by London and Charlotte. The gang was back together, minus the dogs. Where were Joseff and Castor anyhow? What had happened to them at the meadow? If they got the chance, perhaps they could go looking for them. With everyone now gathered at the Inn, aside from the dogs, something felt off. Was Peter trying to get them together? Was it important that Jo and Castor not be here? Was something going to happen? It-it didn't involve Kenai, or rather his spitting image, did it?

"Eth, London, good to have you back." Jace mustered a half-smile as he nodded to them. He looked them up and down, concentrating mostly on London and Charlotte. Their outfits were ridiculous and almost made his swim wear look more functional by comparison. "I think the first order of business is clothes. Where the hell do we even find any around here?" He looked around as if a clothing rack would magically appear, which wasn't out of the realm of possibility in this place. While they all needed proper fall-on-the-verge-of-winter outfits, Milton needed one the most.

"He gets ten layers of sweaters and socks."

Kitty might have been unshaken by the whole experience, but Kelsey was just about losing it. They'd already lost Ana... had Peter taken London away too. She bit down on her lip then as a struggle to reel herself in played out. It was getting harder to stay calm because all Henbard had given them was chaos. "We should go out and look for them."

Kelsey had just spoken when Charlotte and London made their return. Relief washed through her. They were complete again--they still needed to find Ana and Joseff, but for now it would have to go. "I'm so glad you guys are safe."
"Charlotte, it's good to have you back." Kitty wanted to scoff at the silly dresses London and her fellow maid were wearing, but it wasn't like anyone's costume change was much better. Also, they had much more important matters to attend to. It seemed her theory was right, He was bringing them all together... but why? What sick joke did he have prepared this time.

"Your friend is right," Kitty nodded in Jace's direction. "Don't eat anything."

Then again, that was common sense wasn't it? Eating dinner had gotten them into this mess. They probably knew better by now, but one could never be too safe, some of them seemed more careless than others. Speaking of, the green-haired girl had yet to answer her question. Kitty frowned tightly and prepared to approach, but was stopped when someone else exited the kitchen and entered the room. It was Matt's grandmother... but hadn't she been outside?

"It's so good to have you all here! It's been awhile since we've gotten together for a meal, hasn't it?" Rosie (Matt's grandmother) was exiting the kitchen with a food cart. Several silver platters were perched on top of the cart. They were all covered the same way fancy thanksgiving turkeys were, with the metal lid, it was impossible to tell what waited inside.

"Gather round the table now, kids," Rosie said. "We can't get started if you don't sit down."
35nx9mW.png
"I know you love grandma's cooking, guys!" Matt appeared behind Rosie with his own food cart stacked high with silver platters. "You've all been gone an awfully long time. I'm sure you're all hungry."

Kelsey frowned. "What's for lunch?"

"You'll have to sit down to find out dear." Rosie's smile was eerie to say the least. "It's something you'll need if you want to play His game right."

Kelsey's head snapped up. Was Peter finally talking to them directly through his illusions?

"You, too," she looked between Jace and Kelsey. Her smile turned awkward at the focus on her and Charlotte's costumes. Stupid dress, stupid layers, stupid, stupid. The corset around her waist suffocated her and the layers of dress skirts and hoops weighed her down uncomfortably. She wanted to sit - to relax - but she doubted even that would be possible in such an inconvenient, stuffy garment. Her eyes scanned the room for anything like a clothes rack (at the mention of new outfits, London had visibly perked up). Deflated when there appeared to be none.

Matt's grandmother entered the room with carts of food. London poorly concealed a face of disgust. After their experience with dinner she hoped nobody intended to eat. For all they knew, lunch was a disguise for the goop that ran through Charlotte and Kitty's veins. "Um, thanks but we-"

She stiffened at Matt's voice. Pointedly looked away. Butterflies erupted in her stomach - or were they buzzing bees, stinging her insides? London did not want to see his face. Not after watching him bleed out on the cellar floor; not when, standing there, she could so clearly remember the feel of intestines slipping through her hands; not when this Matt knew how she felt. Or... had felt?

She did not want to look at this Matt, because his sole purpose was to hurt them.

Yet, when Grandma Lyons mentioned His game, London did look over. Big mistake. Her eyes caught on Matt's light hair and pretty face and suddenly everything was worse: This Matt looked exactly like theirs, just as he had before, but something was off. She saw it now. Wished she had seen it in the cellar. It made her simultaneously sad and angry and nauseous.

"W-Why are you doing this?" She forced her attention to Grandma Lyons. If that bastard really was speaking through his illusions, London refused to play along. "Why us?"

o52UvLE.png
A smile spread over Ethan's face as he saw a familiar face, he greeted Kelsey with wide open arms, embracing her as tightly as he could. "Good to see you too, Kels!" He looked around to see that Jace and Milton were here as well, only now noticing that their choice of costumes were...less than appropriate for the occasion. He couldn't help but snicker a bit.

"Hope you guys have something underneath, things are a little breezy after all."
He laughed, at least his costume was only slightly embarrassing. Looking around a bit, he waved at Marten who was also there with them, he had to admit, she looked good in the whole racer get-up.

It wasn't until Kelsey asked about London's whereabouts did his laughter stop in its tracks.

He sighed, casting a downwards look as she mentioned London, explaining to her that he got paired up with Kitty, someone who he had actually struck quite an odd friendship with. His newfound friend however wasn't exactly feeling up to par, she looked...anxious to say the least. Whatever kind of party that was about to happen in this bizarro version of Bellwoods' Red Copper, he was sure it was going to end up in flames.

Suddenly, the door flew open, and Ethan immediately got into a fighting position, his arms relaxing when he found out it was only London. Relief washed over him after he realized that everyone was still alive and breathing, exhausted maybe but at least alive.
Of course, reunions between all of them never spelled good news. Whenever they all gathered together, trouble was always afoot not long after.

He gulped when Grandma Lyons called everyone to lunch. Whatever the fuck these shapeshifters were serving, clearly no one was going to have it. Darned costume didn't have a weapon to go with it, if only he had some revolver to just shoot all the impostor's away...though that would probably only make them angrier...The boy's movements were cautious, his eyebrows raised as he gazed over at the table where Grandma Lyons and Matt were seated, deja vu much?

If there's one lesson he learned from Henbard, is that when people offer you food for no good reason under the pretense of being polite, then it's probably going to kill you from the inside out. Sit down, huh? "I don't suppose you'll let us sit down without wolfing down some of your alien food first?" He asked, pensive. False bravado was the only thing saving Ethan's face right now, as the mental image of one of your best friend's grandmother talking like she's possessed by the devil wasn't exactly the best thing right about now.

Thinking was literally never her forte. Marten's brain was just a few dendrites shy of schitzophrenic. So really the grunette was unsure of why she even bothered with the task aside from morbid curiosity of just how weird things could get up there. The conclusion? Pretty damn weird. So in lieu of trying to ruminate ever again. She pasted a pretty smile on her face for her arriving friends. She'd just face the music with these guys. There wasn't a better team out there after all... Although she wouldn't have rejected Batman. He would be useful right about now since Peter was basically a supernatural Joker.

Standing Marten would brush off her racing suit and run a few fingers through her hair which probably looked like fifty shades of nonsense at that time of night. "I'm glad everyone is alright." She would say toward the new arrivals still smiling. Sadly she had to swallow a groan next, as she worked up the courage to face the cat. She just knew there was a reason cat's didn't like her. Maybe because she was unreliable? "Sorry Kitty... I lost them." Even after getting punched in the face.

The table spread was something the green eyed girl was content to ignore forever if she could. She would never trust food again! Lamentable, but also apparently the biggest key to survival ever! She was so happy Kindall was becoming a scientist. She was going to make him test all her food from here on out! And she was becoming a raw vegan! No one but her was ever allowed to prepare the food she ate ever again! So of course she was on her friends' side about sitting at that table. In this stupid house, nothing good ever happened around a table.

L6p0V9h20RWjOxK7RKL_nF4txcKqYhiL7dIVC9GEVmIA0WBitlV5Z_c4FWwBzox7R99DlfyUiDswnLjkgU5KAHloJvZECd1PSr2UIHUkrnnZtttbobJn5otZCVDK-vCecE-CA4HF
Kindall sat hunched over on his chair with his eyes trained on his bare feet. His absolute silence and vacant expression meant that he had shut out the rest of the world and retreated deep into his cavernous mind. It was a habit he retained from his moody teenage years and one that Ethan, Jace and London were familiar with. Kindle, as they came to realize, needed his time out at least twice a day. During this hour or two, he'd sit quietly in an almost meditative state at his desk or on the couch staring into space while his mind worked on some top secret project or other.

Milton enjoyed these sessions but today he was frustrated. His brain was swimming in a heavy icy fog that impeded his ability to fill in the gaps in his memory. To make things worse, it felt like his flu addled brain was reluctant to remember anything, because the little information he retrieved added to his confusion. He was very certain they entered Whittle Grove on Halloween morning but nothing indicated that they ever left. There was this big gap between their morning expedition and him ending up in this dream world. Did they end up camping inside? Did he lose consciousness along the way?

He rejected either conclusion as neither explained why he is body was aching so badly. He doubted that physical pain be present in dreams. At least, not the type of dreams he had so far. This left him with very few plausible alternatives – hallucinogenic drugs (maybe mushrooms), alcohol or mass hysteria. He ranked mass hysteria on the same level as alien abductions, absurd and highly unlikely. So, that left him with hallucinogens and alcohol. The latter was eliminated because he doubted Kelsey would be capable of an elaborate prank that would make her family worry so much. Hallucinogens, eh? He doubted he'd take drugs willing so perhaps mushrooms were to be blamed. He recalled Kele telling him to avoid the thick clusters of Psilocybe when they were camping in the woods.

"It has to be mushrooms, doesn't it? Nothing else makes sense."
aljy9Nh.png
"How puzzling these changes are! No one can be sure where they are going from one minute to the next," a woman exclaimed gaily.

Her tinkling laughter was enough to bring Kindall crashing back into reality. Still in a semi daze, he pulled himself up and turned towards the source, a slim brunette sitting at the head of the long table furthest from the group. She was dressed in a striped purple and pink gown with a large fascinator perched on the left side of her head. The headdress was an explosion of pink and blue feathers. With her ruby lips curved into a wide smile and her mascara laden eyes half-lidded, she could have been mistaken for a magazine model dressed like the Cheshire Cat. Her delicate fingers were interlaced.
LrZ_5x84k82tNdRDPDFuOjwBeHtht38tb88tUqwXp0SMmzP80U49Ort3iGr-lefnZtaCq-w9k7aSzJk01IgNZoEwZh_5hrtNK1yTpcxNqOH34b9eNWG2Up0Eb5mI-i9VE_NdU9l3
"Madam!" Charlotte exclaimed.

Adelaide's eyes opened wider but she didn't look in Charlotte's direction. She stared straight ahead at no one in particular. "Now that we've seen each other, do you believe in me as I believe in you?" she asked them. "Do you believe we are sitting down at a round table with dinner about to be served?"

"No amount of wishing will make a long table round," Kindall replied sarcastically.

He wanted to ask the mad woman to identify herself but he knew her name was lost somewhere inside his mind. She was so hauntingly familiar that it was starting to make his head hurt. Her name was related to Geography. Something not too common but not unique either. It irked him that he couldn't remember it at all.

"Aren't we all mad? I'm sure we are seated at a round table." Adelaide insisted.

She snapped her fingers and things changed in a blink. The six college students found themselves seated around a circular glass table. Jace sat opposite Ethan, Kindall opposite Marten and Kelsey opposite London. Each person had a gleaming cloche in front of them. For a moment, it appeared as if Charlotte and Kitty were missing like Nana Lyons, Matt and Kenai. However, it didn't take London long to spot the maids. Charlotte and Kitty, who had been shrunken down to the size of a paper dolls, were seated on top of a pile of warm dinner rolls at the center of the table. Charlotte looked visibly distressed.

"Madam, Madam!" Charlotte cried. "We need to find you."

"Find me? My reality is different from yours. You're the ones who lost their way."

She leaned forward so close to Ethan that her cool breath brushed against his cheek. "Even sunflowers are roses hidden under different petals. Reality is what you want it to be."

She turned to Kelsey who was seated to his right and whispered. "Why don't you open and see for yourself? Everything here is very real."

The madam of the chateau guided their hand towards the top of their respective cloches and she squeezed their fingers around the fancy knob. Her body grew fainter and fainter after that until only her ruby red lips remained. They curved into a wide grin, revealing her very white and even teeth.

"He's watching," they whispered ominously before disappearing with a loud pop.

Last edited:
Kelsey watched with bated breath as London addressed Him directly. It seemed as if He were using His illusions to speak to them, but would He actually entertain any of their questions? A part of her wanted to, but another part of her, didn't want to know why He was doing such twisted things to them. "Rosie," Kelsey called out. "Won't you tell us?"

She didn't of course. Instead, she merely smiled that same tight-lipped smile as London stared and as Ethan ranted over the food. Kindle's comment about mushrooms fell on deaf ears, and while the three of them focused on Rosie, a certain maid had other things in mind.
"You... you lost the items?" Disbelief coupled with bubbling rage. The grunette was in charge of one thing and instead of doing it, she'd gone and done the opposite. If He decided to use her against them, there would be no way of stopping her. "How could you lose something so important?" Kitty was about to unleash hell when something stopped her.

The madam appeared, but... was it really her.

"Madam," Kitty's voice softened. Adelaide was dressed in a flamboyant outfit of pink and purple and she was acting strange. Nothing she initially said made any sense. "Is it really you?"

"It might be another one of his tricks," Kelsey whispered.

The kind woman who'd treated them to dinner (before drugging them) was talking on and on about round tables different realities. It was both frightening and confusing and Kelsey didn't know if she was trying to communicate with them in riddles or if He was playing another one of his sick jokes.

Everything only led to more questions. Adelaide continued her odd exchange with them all before snapping her fingers. That was when everything took a turn for the worse. Kitty and Charlotte shrunk down and they found themselves seated around a round table. The silver platters were in front of them. Adelaide asked her if she wanted to look inside.

"What has this got to do with anything?"

Once again, there were no answers. Adelaide merely smiled ominously as she faded into thin air. The outline of her smile lingered and it was a horror book come alive. The steel knob was cold against Kelsey's fingers.

They didn't have a choice did they? If they wanted to proceed they would have to play his games.

Shaky fingers wrapped tighter around the steel knob before Kelsey lifted the lid of her own platter. What lay underneath—the severed head of her father—left her reeling. The air was knocked right out of her lungs. The same macabre sight awaited everyone else. Atop their own trays were the severed heads of the people they held near and dear to their hears.

Beth. Preston. Nita. Hobart. Marten's youngest brother.

The heads began to speak, spewing words that were meant to destroy and hurt.

"Why couldn't you have left this nonsense alone?" Pastor Crane spoke to his daughter. "I went off to look for you and now I'm dead. If only I could have been blessed with a less disobedient child. You killed me, you know? Just like you killed Ana, and your soon-to-be-dead friends."

And even though Kelsey knew her none of this was real, the words stung because they held a semblance of truth. Peter knew them well, much more than they thought he did.

Last edited by a moderator:
qciBoXLqt2BHx-6b-MH2mGNXhZ-xJz_8D_RpxBynx5rDcbMFvOIiIvfYv_E2AarZKmUHyEIzPyPN-xCNIIZGaihg2d0mraa1BqIsGRksvywsygz-GUh2kVSH2HOZRgf6_PYhGNza
"You lost the items?" From Marten she looked to Kelsey, eyes desperate for Adelaide's windbreaker but it was nowhere to be found. London stared at the two maids with wide eyes, her concerns about the illusions temporarily dampened. Kitty and Charlotte were now damned to a life of Henbard slavitude. Somehow, London doubted they'd be able to find the items again before squaring off against transformed versions of the Henbard residents standing in the room with them. He had brought them all together for a reason. Would fighting for their lives be punishment if they didn't play His game?

London looked back at the table. She felt sicker than before. Kindall blaming it on mushrooms made things no better: Her friend still had no idea what was going on and she couldn't exactly fill him in with her now ruined Cryptodex. Or, if he did, he was refusing to acknowledge it as reality. At least the irritation she felt towards him grounded her. "Kindall, seriously-"

A familiar voice turned her attention to the head of the table. There appeared Adelaide dressed in… Chesire Cat cosplay? It looked more regal than those found at conventions, similar to something out of a Gala or Royalty AU, but that made things no less disconcerting. Her discomfort heightened when, suddenly, they were all situated at a round table against their will. London looked at her friends, eyes landing across the glass surface at Kelsey who now sat directly opposite of her. Adelaide's vanishing act and parting whisper sent a chill up her spine. London shut her eyes. "I d-don't like this…"

Upon hearing the steel lids raise around her, London lifted her own. Truth be told, she expected bugs and lizards and frogs to come crawling out, but what lay beneath was much worse. She caught snippets of familiar voices sounding around the table and opened her eyes.

On her plate was the decapitated head of her mother. The lid fell out of her hand. "M-Mom?"

"I thought we were a team, Sweetpea," Beth cried. London simply stared; her chubby, rosie cheeks and bright blue eyes were perfect replicas. "No secrets. No lies. We were supposed to be there for each other, right?"

London felt her throat tighten. "We are, Mom. Always-"

"But you left me."

"N-No, I-"

"At least your dad said goodbye."

Her mother's face blurred through an onslaught tears. In the back of her head London knew this wasn't real - severed heads couldn't talk. Yet… everything her mother said was true. Prompted her to respond. "I'm so sorry," she babbled. The apologies were pointless but they needed to be said. "I'm sorry Mom, I didn't know-... I thought we'd be back by six! I-..." The guilt of having left her mother alone tore at her like claws.

"I tried to find you, but now… well... I guess being dead is better than being alone."

"N-No! No, no, no, you're not dead, you're-..." Not real. This isn't real. Don't let Him win. "I'm coming back. I promise."

Her mother's face smiled sadly, eyes wet with tears. "Oh, Sweetpea. Are you sure about that? So irresponsible, so selfish… always running from the things that scare you." London stopped breathing. "You're more like your dad than you think."

London slammed the lid back down, an attempt to seal away whatever else her mother had to say. It didn't work; Beth's voice muffled just clear enough through the metal for London to hear. Her grip on the knob tightened.

Last edited:
Jace_Banner.png
"Did she just...?" Jace looked on in tense silence, aghast gaze set on the abomination that Peter had made to look like old Mrs. Lyons. Had she just alluded to Peter? No. He was undoubtedly talking through her, directly to them. It had to be, seeing as all the fakes were likely made from his essence, that black goop that Salem had bled and that a previous fake Matt was made from. By proxy, these fakes were extensions of his being and therefore a form of him, weren't they? Whatever the case, that was the first time that he had addressed himself to the group in any fashion.

In spite of the warmth from the fire, he felt cold, like the icy breath of impending doom was breathing down his neck. As much as he didn't want to sit down at that table, it was very possible that there were useful items under those silver covers. Then again, it was also possible that this was a ploy to get them to sit down at another horror table, so they could be bound and tortured just like they had been in the cellar. "I might just need electroshock therapy after this." Jace gulped down the painful knot in his throat. Part of him wanted to pursue questions, to try to get some answers out of the bastard while he was feeling so talkative. Another part of him feared that this would only make things worse or initiate whatever plan he had for them ahead of time. The group was surrounded by his henchmen, whom he could warp into monsters and manipulate at any time. He had the upper hand.

As such, Jace was shocked when London of all people spoke up. He looked around briefly, expecting a monster to appear; but relaxed only very little when none did. Of course, there was no answer. Jace looked briefly to Milton, who'd sunken onto the nearest chair and gone down his own rabbit hole. It was disconcerting not to have his logic-spewing, even though it would have been aggravating and likely started an argument.

"Milton?" Jace reached a hand out, fingers barely grazing the shoulder of the fluffy bathrobe. His attention was torn back to the table where there sat none other than Adelaide. Well, it looked and sounded like her. There was a possibility that she was fake, too; although, there hadn't been any duplicates thus far. Something soft and heavy nudged the back of his leg and Jace turned to see the fake Kenai standing beside him. Jace made a low noise, a look of convincing horror spread across his face as he stepped away from the dog. Kenai licked his black lips and gave another insistent nudge towards the table. Before Jace could blink, he found himself seated at a round table.

"Uh..." His worried eyes traveled to his left, seeing his friends. They traveled right. In the chair immediately next to him sat Kenai, napkin tied around his neck where his collar ought to be. In front of him was a covered dish; and beyond that, Charlotte and Kitty were shrunken to doll size on a plate of dinner rolls. Kenai barked, a shock to Jace's already frazzled system. It was so much like his beloved pet. The dog pawed the silver cover, prompting Jace to lift it. He did. He let out a strangled yelp.

"Jace!" Nita's head barked angrily at him from the plate. "What have you done?!"

"Ni-Ni-Ni.." He stammered in a voice that didn't sound like his own. She was perfect: the sculpted cheek bones, the silky raven hair, the blue eyes set against dark skin. No detail was missed. Even her commanding voice was perfect.

"Why didn't you come home? You promised six o'clock! You promised mom!"

"I-I-"

"Dad went looking for you in the woods! He didn't come back!"

"Dad...is gone?"

"Mom and grandma are devastated. Dad is gone, I'm dead, and you're here having a fucking tea party! How are they gonna keep the business going now? They'll lose the house, the land - it's all your fault!"

"I-I tried... I'm trying to get back." In spite of the fact that, in his heart of hearts, he knew this wasn't real, Jace couldn't help but plead his defense with his fake sister's head.

"I told you to leave finding your friend to the authorities, but do you ever listen? NO! You just had to be a self-righteous hero! Does that little bitch mean more to you than your own family?"

"What?! No! I-I mean--! It's not--!"

"Your hero complex is so bad, it even caused you to lose your other friend. You tried so hard, too. Funny that you didn't try that hard for us - for me. Look at me! This is your fault!"

"I just wanted to protect them. I want to protect you. You don't know how hard I tried! For everyone!" Jace bit his quivering lip.

"It doesn't matter, because now, you're going to die, too. You and all your friends. You can't save them. You can't even save yourself."

Beside him, Kenai barked ravenously. Saliva dripped over his black lips; his tongue flicked hungrily over his teeth. In one quick motion, he lunged across the table and grabbed Nita's head in his mouth. Skin and hair tore away from bone. Kenai shook his head, sending a chunk of hair flying back onto the plate. All the while, Nita's head screaming.

Jace paled to a sickly hue as tears spilled over and he promptly lurched over the arm of his chair and threw up.

o52UvLE.png
Ethan didn't know what the hell just happened, all he knew was that Adelaide appeared, snapped her fingers and all of them were sitting around a table. He groaned, he knew that an Alice in Wonderland reference was imminent, though he never pegged Adelaide to be the Cheshire Cat...Though, when she began to spout some cryptic bullshit, he knew that she wasn't playing around.

The boy shivered, getting goosebumps as Adelaide expounded something about sunflowers and roses. Ethan began to sweat bullets, if she was saying what he thought she did, then it was, quite possibly, one of the worst things to ever come to fruition.

He looked in shock and horror as Kelsey and London's platter revealed their parents, or rather, their decapitated heads. "Oh God no..." The words left Ethan's mouth as he saw the pained looks on both of his friends. He wanted to throw up, covering his mouth with his hands, his eyes closed, mind trying to tell him that this was just fake, smoke and mirrors, all of it. "Ethan?" A familiar voice prompted him to look at his own plate.

It was a face-well, more of a head really-that Ethan knew all too well. Blue eyes pierced his soul altogether, and a smile that made him feel strangely at ease. His messy blonde hair captured his visage really well, even if he was severed head. "Aww, I knew you only had eyes for me, babe." The head said, its lips pursed into a mischievous smile. No matter how much Ethan wanted to deny that it was nothing but a parlor trick, the way Preston's head talked to him just had the same magnetic pull.

Ethan was skeptical, he wanted to know if this really was Preston and not just some perfect illusion conjured up by this shit hole. "If you really are who you claim to be...tell me something that only both of us would know." The head just grinned, almost seeming like it was mocking him.

"Well...You're a Taurus, born on the 17th of May, O-Positive. Our first date was in the Daily Grind, sat there exchanging really awkward glances at each other, I offered to pay, you said I didn't have to, yada yada. We have sex like, thrice every two weeks. You top first, I top second, and it lasts for give, or take, two or three hours. Oh, and you always keep the lube under the third drawer of the nightstand together with the fucking dragon dildo that Marten got you for a birthday present."
There was an awkward moment of silence before the head opened its mouth again, "Has anyone ever told her that she probably shouldn't gift dildos to people so casually?"

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

The young man just stood there, mouth agape, his mind trying to process the info dump that the head just served him and he was pretty sure that nearly everyone in the room just heard everything. Full stop. It was Preston all right, now pocket sized and portable for all your gayly needs.

For a severed head, Preston seemed to be quite lively, even amicable at the prospect of seeing Ethan. It looked at him up and down, prompting him to ask, "D...D-Do I have something on my face?" The head just laughed and said, "Brokeback Mountain? More like Bareback Mountain, what's up with the get-up?" Ethan sighed, palm meeting with his face, saying that it was a long story that involved a drugged dinner, murderous toys, and horseback riding. The head giggled, and Ethan couldn't help but feel enamored, Preston was always such a cute thing whenever he laughed.

"Anyway~" The head talked again, capturing the full attention of Ethan. "Where the hell've you been, babe? I'm fucking drier than a desert here waiting for your bitch ass to show up!" Ethan tried to explain, saying that stuff went south the moment they left Bellwoods and entered Whittle Grove, and there was the whole thing with the Hayes family and the fucking pumpkin. It was all a mess and Ethan was trying to explain it to the head as much as he could, ending with him saying that he's just glad he got to see Preston again...Completely unaware of the fact that he is talking to a head.

"Bull." The tone of the severed head suddenly went from 180 to 0 in a minute. "What?" Ethan asked, confused. "Spare me the theatrics, Ethan. You and I both know that the minute you get bored of me you're going to flock to another guy to spend the evening with." Ethan couldn't believe the words that were coming out of Preston's mouth. That...that wasn't true at all!

"You're a fucking manslut Ethan, and you know it. I know your type. Your fucking eyes wander in pursuit of your next fill, and when you're full? You ditch them at the next chance you can get. I don't even know how you expected Kindall to like you when all you are is a fucking cow. Literally. Hell, I don't even know how he manages to still put up with your shit!" Sweet and honeyed words had become poison and vitriol, and Ethan's temper was slowly starting to get the best of him, he wanted to call bullshit on whatever kind of balderdash this caricature of Preston was spitting.

"You know, when I finally fucking realized you probably never were gonna come back home, it was the first time in my life that I actually felt alone. I figured that you ran away because you got tired of little o'l me. I mean, who the hell would want to put up with MY issues, am I right? Kept on telling myself that you'd be back, but then days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. I just thought that you were getting railed balls-deep by some other guy you found when you were running away." Ethan's brows furrowed, he wanted to disappear, wanted the head to just shut up and start making sense.

"That's not true! You know that I l-" The head cut him off, demanding him that he sit the fuck down and let it finish first. "So I fucking did it. Pulled the trigger myself, ya'know? Trust me, it's a lot easier than you think. I have you to thank for that, Sunshine." It finished its story with a wink and a smile that looked like it was fucking proud of what it had just done. Ethan didn't even respond, instead he lifted the head from its plate and threw it half across the room, only to be surprised that another one had taken its place, sitting as if nothing had happened.

He gripped it again, harder this time and proceeded to do more of the same, and it just kept on coming back. He wanted it to stop. He wanted everything to stop. Everything didn't feel right anymore.

Last edited: