Something-or-Anothers: Tales of the Confused Adventure's Shenanigans

"Ow? Sanzy.." Sage whined obnoxiously, her hands reaching up to rub the top of her head lightly.

"Well, I don't know if slimes is what you want to do." Rhea said looking over Sanz's shoulder. "Unless either one of you have some magic to use. I don't have any offensive magic." Rhea told Sanz, "They aren't immune to physical attacks, but they are certainly resistant to them."

"Hm, then maybe we should do something else?" Sage asked looking at the board. She saw one level 7 and a "keep any loot you find" option. "Kill a goblin nest that popped up near the city," Sage read it out loud.

"That one can be dangerous because of sheer numbers," Rhea mentioned. "Goblins are often plentiful in numbers. There can be upper numbers of a maximum of 30 in one den." Rhea told them.

"Jesus.." Sage half said.

Reactions: Ixidor92
Rhea seemed quite knowledgeable about the creatures in this world, and so far her information matched up with some of his assumptions... Couldn't hurt to double check
"They are numerous, but they're also fairly weak and stupid right? As long as we don't go charging right into the middle of a horde with no plan, we should be okay."

That is, of course, assuming he was right. For all he knew, goblins were much more intelligent, and going after a nest of them as a party of three was suicide. Hopefully not though.
"Does the quest say anything about a recommended number of people? Or is there an assumed standard for teams that go on quests?"

"Most just assume that it's team of four. So.. we can even the team out if we get a fourth or we can get a quest a little less challenging." Rhea told them two of them.

Sage suppressed a long sigh. Going in could lose them their life. Oh but the reward was so good. At least Sage felt like the reward was good. All the loot was theirs? That sounded amazing! "We're not too keen on inviting just anybody. We kind of don't want to spread the reward out too thin." Sage said.

"Then maybe we should pick something a bit easier? The slimes are easier, they just won't die as fast with your physical hits. Plus.. they are just slimes and don't do a whole lot. I mean.. depends on what kind of slimes they are, I suppose." Rhea sputtered on, stuttering a bit as she amended what she had said.

Sanz raised an eyebrow at Rhea. He was used to people being skittish and quiet around him--but not to this extent. She clearly had a lot of knowledge to share, but seemed doubtful of her ability to help others. Great.
"Well... what kinds of slimes are there then? And what would you expect to show up in that area?"

The man did agree with Sage, splitting their resources among another party was not something they could really afford right now. The safer option appeared to be taking lower-level quests that they could reasonably do on their own, but those wouldn't give as much in the way of rewards.... Maybe he could work out some kind of grinding regiment to strengthen himself more quickly? He looked at the sheet of paper himself, as if scanning it could give him easy answers. Unsurprisingly, it did not.
"If they slimes themselves aren't that threatening, then this is probably our best shot for the immediate future.

"Well... I guess it would be the blue slime. Water based. Slow digestion. Since they are so slow and not as acidic as green slimes, they tend not to be much of a threat. Though, they will eat away at your armors and weapons." Rhea warned them.

Sage hummed, thinking about her own blade disappearing slowly, "Eugh.." She said softly

Sanz looked down at his hand and flexed his fingers a couple of times. By the happy accident of choosing skills so that he didn't need equipment, corrosion would be a non-factor for him. Sage did though.. and his weapon was not exactly of the best quality in the first place.
"How dangerous are they in that regard then? Are we talking dissolve on contact, or do they need to focus on one piece of metal over a span of time? If it's the latter, then that quest is probably our best bet."

Sanz walked next to the board and pulled away the quest.

[fieldbox="Slime Garden, turquoise, dashed"]
Our crops have become completely infested with slimes! They aren't much of a threat to me or my boys, but if they aren't removed the entire harvest will be ruined. Could some brave adventurers please help clear them quickly?

from boys: We can't go out in the fields to play anymore! Everything's all squishy, blue, and if we stay out too long it starts to burn. Please clean up this mess!

Guild description: Clear out all slime-based organisms from the requester's fields. If possible, try to halt or repair crop damage.
Minimum level: 6
Reward: 4 silver
[/fieldbox]
"Your thoughts Sage?"

• Love
Reactions: Tiger Dragon
"No food. But we actually get silver instead of copper. I can get my second weapon. And you armor." Sage muttered to Sanz a bit quitely so Rhea couldn't hear them. She then gave a long, undefined shrug, "Sounds better than wolves, depending I guess. So, quick or slow?" Sage asked Rhea again.

"Slow. Green slimes disolve things quickly. As long as a part of your body doesn't go too deep into their body, shouldn't start dissolving. And.." Rhea looked over at the flyer now, "Plants are living things, so any of them that are not outright dead, I can heal them, in a sense." Rhea said.

"Alright! what do we get for it? Doing that extra step?" Sage asked.

"Depends. Nothing, or maybe something. Extra money. An item. Or if it didn't specify before, any loot you find." Rhea said. "The only thing he has to give you.. is the reward. Otherwise, the guild would step in and revoke their ability to ask for help and force them to pay plus a fine to the guild." Rhea said.

Sanz made a bit of a face behind the quest paper. It wasn't that he was against the idea of helping people for the sake of helping them (not that he would ever voice that opinion) but it wasn't something they could really afford to spend time on given their current status.

"Right then. Sounds like that is our best bet then. We can talk about whether it's worth trying to fix the damage or not when we get there. Do either of you need to grab anything before we head out? We should leave soon, otherwise it will be dark when we're heading back."

"I mean, besides asking if Rhea can heal this.. can you heal this?" Sage asked, pointing to her arm and Sanz's shoulder. Their injury from the quest the other day.

"Oh yes, I can. That would be two heal spells. Right now I have about 7 total a day." Rhea told them. "Before I get really tried. Oh, and you can just give me 1 of the four silver. You two can have the rest." Rhea told them with a smile.

"Oh, I see." Sage said, thinking about everything Rhea said.

7 uses... did that mean she could heal 7 injuries, or heal of of someone's injuries 7 times? Conversation for the road perhaps. They needed to get moving.
"Then unless there's anything else let's get moving."
Sanz made sure the three of them were registered for the quest before heading out. According to the guildmarm, it would take them a couple of hours to reach the location. A couple hours there and a couple hours back already put them close to twilight, even without taking into account how long it would take to finish the quest.

"So Rhea, how exactly does your healing magic work? I'm not..."
He debated how to break the subject without sounding odd.
"Magic isn't common where the two of us come from."

"Oh lets see." Rhea said putting her hands together, "So, magic works a lot with your energy. As you grow stronger, you get a bigger energy. If you cast too much, you'll past out, but you'll know when you are reaching your limit for casting because you'll start feeling tired. Getting rest if the only way to get your magic back up again. Kind of the same with your stamina when using abilities and health when you are injured. You can buy potions that people have brued to recover much faster and without sleep!" Rhea explained to him.

"Oh wow, so, how do we learn magic?" Sage asked, "Can you teach me a healing spell?" She asked Rhea.

"W-we.. well I can.." She said when the question seemed more related to her, "But there should be a fair trade involved because it will take a whole lot of time on my part to help you learn." Rhea said softly, "I mean I can help if you don't have anything to give." Rhea said shyly.

Sage was itching to take advantage of this girl, but her instincts said that Sanz would hit her if she tried anything in front of him, "Ah, well maybe when I get a skill worth teaching we can trade!" Sage mentioned. A heal spell seemed like an amazing thing to have. The ability to self-heal.

• Love
Silently, Sanz was also considering how he could learn that kind of ability. It was clear Sage and himself would not be making it out of most quests unscathed. Whether they did so in the middle of combat or after the fact, it would definitely be a desirable skill.
"So you say everyone has this energy they can use for magic. Does that drain separately from your stamina for other abilities?"
If that was the case, then he and Sage had made a mistake in not taking any magic with their initial points.

The man kept walking along the road, having written down the directions for where they needed to go. But he kept looking out of the corner of his eye at Sage and Rhea. It wasn't that he didn't trust Sage... Okay no that was exactly it. He didn't trust Sage around an innocent young girl.

• Haha
"Y-yes. Everyone can use magic. And, magic and stamina skills use two different pools, though if you get too tried from using one or the other, you get drained either way. It's like.. if your body is tried, then even though you've not used any skills, it'll still be hard. I guess. I'm not sure I'm explaining that right." Rhea said softly.

"Basically, if we don't take care of ourselves then, in the end, it doesn't matter." Sage said, "No worries. Though.. I'm thinking I should have taken a magic skill. So to gain magic points, I have to use magic skills. But to use the skills... I have to have a skill. How do I get a skill if I don't have one?" Sage asked.

"Oh umm, you get more White EXP or you learn from someone," Rhea told her.

"Then, would you please help me learn magic?" Sage said, putting her hands together, "I can try and teach you one of my skills or... how about I do a favor for you?" Sage asked Rhea, "I mean, I might not be useful now. But I can be later!" Sage said.

Sanz continued to quietly listen in on the conversation. From the sounds of things, there was very little reason for the both him and Sage to not invest in magic. Learning their initial skills would probably be difficult, but it also sounded completely worth it. He would have to look through those options later. That being said...
"Perhaps we should hold off on those thoughts until the quest is finished? I assume we're going with our previous plan Sage, where I draw aggro and you pick them off from the sides. Rhea, where can you be most effective in a combat situation?"

Focus on the immediate problem, then worry about further tasks when that was done. If they had a plan when they got there, then they could hopefully finish quickly and return before nightfall. He didn't care if Sage talked Rhea's ear off for the entire evening as long as he kept his hands to himself.

"Well.. I heal. And.. I can hit them with my stave!" Rhea told Sanz, "I also can cure disease." Rhea told Sanz.

"Well, do slimes give diseases?" Sage asked Rhea slowly.

"Well... they can." Rhea said shyly, "I-I... mean any.. creature.. can." Rhea said slowly.

"Yes, all creatures can carry disease. The question is how likely would they be to carry it? Rats and wolves can both carry various types of diseases that they pass on through bites, but the former are far more likely."
Sanz let out a long breath, as if to calm himself down. The man was already putting himself in the mindset for violence, which was not what anyone around him needed right now.

"I'd say avoid engaging the enemy unless that's impossible. Stay behind me and you should be fine. I'll be trying to draw as many of the monsters my way as I can."
The man found himself looking down at his bandaged arm as the statement left his mouth. It was still slightly sore from the previous night, not that he would tell anyone that. He would do what he had said. Hell, he would continue to invest in his ability to do so. But how long could his body hold out?

His thoughts were interrupted by the sight of another farmhold on the horizon.
"It looks like we should be there soon. So if you have anything else to prepare, best do so now."

Rhea caught Sanz looking down at his arm and she glanced at Sage's arm as well. "I should heal your current injury so you can both fight at your strongest." Rhea atold the two of them.

"Quick question, how do we kill them? Just... swing at them till they die?" Sage asked.

"Yes. If the slime is see-through, then they usually have a little core that does critical damage if you can hit it. Usually for slicing weapons." Rhea said.

Sanz flexed his fingers as Rhea spoke. It was useful information to have--but he couldn't do much with it. The man had a sinking feeling that he was going to be little more than a target this time around. Hopefully that was not the case... His train of thought was stopped when the path opened up. The farmhold was now visible, as were the crop fields... and Sanz could already see many, MANY flecks of blue throughout the plants.

"So... how exactly does this healing thing work?"
Sanz turned to look at Rhea. If they could be in top-shape before fighting, that would be for the best... especially given the sheer amount of slime that he saw from here. They were going to be here for a while...

"Wow, that... is a lot." Sage said, stopping and peering out to the farmland that was getting ravaged.

"Ok, um. Just.. come stand next to me. I need to touch you and the wound." Rhea told Sanz.

"Oh oh, you can touch me." Sage said with a grin and held out her arm to Rhea.

Rhea gave an innocent smile and put her hand on the bandaged portions of Sage's arm. A few moments later, a soft green light enveloped Sage's arm.

Sage seemed to almost visibly relax as the pains from her injury melted away, "Wow, thats good."

Rhea smiled, taking her hand away and looking up at Sage as the boy took off his bandages. Sage inspected himself and then gave a nod, the wounds were completely gone! No scars or anything.

"Would you like me to heal you next?" Rhea asked Sanz.

• Haha
Sanz had to blink a couple of times at the process. He had understood the world was magical but... seeing it in person was an entirely different thing. Sage's arm was completely healed, as if the injury had never happened. This was something they needed if they were going to keep up with the daily quest grind. Sanz made a mental note to look for training options.

"Um... yes. If you would."
The words stumbled out of Sanz's mouth, as his brain still tried to digest what he had just witnessed.