1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
My family is pretty superstitious. My mom refused to go through with a buy when one of her orchids inexplicably fell, swearing up and down it was a sign of bad luck. Then my dad doesn’t like the beds to be positioned with the door in sight, because it makes your health fly away? XD

And then there is this old lady who always predicts my supposed luck and wealth through my face and hands. Sometimes I’m not sure if I should be insulted or flattered.

Are you superstitious? Or did you grow up in an evironment that is superstitious? Tell me and share some random superstitions with the rest!

• Love
Reactions: Dipper and junebug
I believe that a ouijia board opens a gateway and if not closed properly it will mess with things.
Don't care how unrealistic it is, better to be safe than sorry. Actually now I just avoid ouijia boards entirely.

I also think that anytime you do some "Give me a sign" nonsense and something actually happens that is weird and might be a sign - is.
Hard to be more specific than that because there are several situations where this could apply.

I also have the belief that if your belief in something is strong enough, you essentially make it true. How it works, don't know, don't care, but if you're 100% convinced that X means Y, then X does mean Y for you and reprogramming yourself is going to probably involve lots of shitty luck (whether it be through subconscious self-fulfilling prophecy or other means).

(So in your example, your mom believes the orchid falling is a bad omen, but let's say she goes through the sale anyway - watch as the sale ends up bringing terrible luck because she ignored her belief).

This also extends to ghosts and the like (assuming you believe in those). A christian exorcism only works on a christian ghost unless the person who is doing the exorcism holds a much stronger belief that it will work (i.e. basically the exorcist's courage and intimidation is super strong).
Hope that makes sense.

Not that I go around interacting with supernatural often. I don't. I avoid it, but I used to be really into it and so a lot of the beliefs carry over even though they're not too applicable to my current life.

I grew up in a fairly non-superstitious home and don't really hold much to superstition myself. My mother has some slightly superstitious leanings, though (she believes that the spirits of loved ones sort of hang around trying to protect people when they can, ties into something from her childhood where she believes that her great-grandfather's spirit saved her life).

I joke around about having really, really bad luck (I am a frequent victim of RNGJesus) but that's about the extent of it and with most things, I just think that probability explains it away and the times such things go well for me are so insignificant compared to the times it went badly that I just don't remember them.

You probably don't want me rolling a die for you, though, just in case. If RNGJesus exists, I don't think I am his chosen child.

Last edited:
You probably don't want me rolling a die for you, though, just in case. If RNGJesus exists, I don't think I am his chosen child.

I once had to roll a die until I got a six for maths. When I didn’t get it after thirteen rolls my teacher proclaimed me the unluckiest. Next board game we played I rolled only sixes all the way. I dunno about RNGJesus, but if he exists he is a troll.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Vars and Kitti
RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE- I'll go before I break something.

When I really smol, I sort of believed if you made, like, a pact to some ephemeral being out there and stuck to it, that they'd fulfill some specified condition of yours. So basically, lil' me made a very strange pact to ensure that I'd grow to marry a certain girl.

Every time I flushed the toilet, I'd have to stick my tongue out and do the Fonzie thing with my hands.

The idea being, if I stuck to it for like a year or so (or more), I'd get da girl. And if I forgot even once, then that was that.

Other than that, I'm predisposed to not stepping on cracks.

I am the epitome of superstition >:3 I do not know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

-A single magpie means a death in the family
-Babies should not look into mirrors until they are past 1 years old
-If you spill salt, throw it over your left shoulder or else you will have bad luck
-Do not wish ill on others, it may curse them or backfire and you can curse yourself
-Breaking a mirror will give you bad luck
-DO NOT PLAY WITH OUIJA BOARDS.
-Do not invite anything into your home
-If you hear a faint inhuman scream at night, stay indoors! That is a banshee. Also a sign of death
-If you hear you name at night, ignore it and do not look outside/in trees. That's a wendigo. An extremely real thing.
-A falling feather means a loved one is watching you
-Dropping a knife means you will have a male visitor, fork means a female visitor
-If you dream of someone, that means they have been thinking of you

I'm not crazy, I swear.​

Little things like salt spilling or seeing a certain animal, I don't believe in.
Anything that is ritualized or involves occult paraphernalia though, I prefer to keep away from.
Heard too many accounts, including from people I respect, to dismiss such things entirely.
So just in case, I try to avoid that stuff, or people who are deep into it. I have enough problems I can't explain to other people.

-Babies should not look into mirrors until they are past 1 years old
I'm curious about this one, why after a year?
I know that there is a decent amount of superstition associated with babies (probably due to how fragile they are) but I don't think I've heard this one before.

I am, however, familiar with one set of believes that considers baby showers and anything else that draws attention to an unborn child as bad luck since it invites the attention of death/misfortune.

I've had a few nightmares that involved some unseen force pushing me down. After wake I often heard clicking in the room. During an especially bad episode I thought I saw someone sitting in my chair. And called out assuming it was my brother. When I heard his voice coming from a different direction. I realized it wasn't him and I heard the clicking. My brother woke and asked what was up. And I told him it was nothing and to go to bed. I decided that it was best not to acknowledge the possibility of what I was thinking. Because what I was thinking that it was a ticking demon. So I closed my eyes and cleared my mind as best I could.

So you could say I'm superstitious. But in a weirdly logical way. It cannot exist if I do not believe it to exist.

I never have, and never will, open an umbrella indoors. Or broken a mirror. Or stepped on a crack on the sidewalk. Just typical western superstitions that have stuck with me since childhood, really. Even knowing they could be 'silly', I won't do it.

:cookie:

-If you hear a faint inhuman scream at night, stay indoors! That is a banshee. Also a sign of death
Do you know what coyotes sound like?

FREAKY
[spoili]
[/spoili]
They can also sound like shrieking babies.
Anyway, imagine a huuuge pack of them at night, howling/crying like this.
It woke me up at like 3am. ._.

Would've scared me shitless if I had not already known what coyotes sounded like!

Anyway, I'm not trying to prove your belief wrong or anything. It could very well be banshees too.
I just thought coyotes might be a bit relevant since they also have a lot of superstitions surrounding them.
Coyote (mythology) - Wikipedia

Do you know what coyotes sound like?

FREAKY
[spoili]
[/spoili]
They can also sound like shrieking babies.
Anyway, imagine a huuuge pack of them at night, howling/crying like this.
It woke me up at like 3am. ._.

Would've scared me shitless if I had not already known what coyotes sounded like!

Anyway, I'm not trying to prove your belief wrong or anything. It could very well be banshees too.
I just thought coyotes might be a bit relevant since they also have a lot of superstitions surrounding them.
Coyote (mythology) - Wikipedia

Hahahah yes, I do know how coyotes and moutain lions/cougars sound like, it's just superstition ^^ There are very few I firmly believe in, these have just mostly been passed down througg family culture and belief ^^

And @Kitti the babies and the mirrors I think originate from people thinking mirrors stole souls, so if a baby would look into a mirror it would then mean it would pass away ._. Again, just superstitions, though I tried my best avoiding this one with my little one haha

Yes and no? Some are based off of very real and practical situations, doesn't always make them right, but I can see why they came to be. Like walking under a ladder. You probably shouldn't do that for your own safety and the person/people operating the ladder. Black cats are notoriously hard to see in the dark and since cats naturally walk in diagonals they will trip you and something bad may happen. Not to say you shouldn't own black cats because of this, just maybe have a light handy for those midnight journeys to the restroom/refrigerator.

The ones involving tools and charms are a mixed bag for me, but it is fun to look at the stories about these things. Ouija board in particular is fun. I had one, but it didn't do anything. When I tried to use it I had the realization that it was literally a board with some randomly arranged letters on it, nothing more. I didn't have any questions for spirits, I wasn't seeking guidance, or on the hunt for ghosts; I was simply not the sort of person this board needed to function. I'm sure it can summon someone's personal demon, just not mine. xD

Similarly my Tarot readings are always hilariously bland. It's mostly "Keep doing what you're doing" over and over and over.

I do have a want for faeries to be real from my heritage, but considering all "evidence" of real faeries is fake it doesn't look like it's so. All the same, they are cool stories.

My mom is superstitious. I sort of poke fun at her for it. It's in good spirits though. She can believe what she wants.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
Similarly my Tarot readings are always hilariously bland. It's mostly "Keep doing what you're doing" over and over and over.

I knew someone in college that did "tarot" readings using Yu-Gi-Oh cards. (Whether they believed in it or just did it for fun, I dunno, but they were super in-depth with it).

Reactions: Shiri
I believed in one as a child. The one about "step on a crack and you'll break your mother's back", mom had told me this as joke when I was really little and walking down a sidewalk. I desperately tried to avoid all of the cracks only to look up and find my sister purposely stepping on them and looking back at my mother.

I also have the belief that if your belief in something is strong enough, you essentially make it true. How it works, don't know, don't care, but if you're 100% convinced that X means Y, then X does mean Y for you and reprogramming yourself is going to probably involve lots of shitty luck (whether it be through subconscious self-fulfilling prophecy or other means).

• Useful
Reactions: Vars
I am not particularly superstitious, but I will shamefully admit that when I watch 'scariest urban legends!' compilations and they give a warning that, in lore, the person who hears the story is going to die, I definitely just skip over that particular story.

I don't wanna take any chances

(just like, whenever I say, 'ugh just kill me,' I have to very quickly say to myself 'just kidding, I wanna live', just in case some higher power is listening)

My family is definitely a bit superstitious, particularly one thing about how you're supposed to sit down when you come in from outside without doing anything out there? There's also some thing about not walking on the other side of, like, a pillar or railing or anything, than a family member.

As for me personally, I believe in luck (and RNGesus), horoscopes (to a superficial degree), ghosts, and those dumb little charm things. Mostly small things that either have little bearing on what I do.

When I was younger, I believed that one thing about stepping on cracks, but it went away pretty quickly (partially due to the fact that trying to avoid stepping on cracks in my city is like trying to dodge rain).