The Dragon Wardens

Aurea was gazing longingly at a long stone in her hand. She had already forgotten the other little pebbles and what they represented. Even the constructed Haven was lost to her. Her limited memory was focused on remembering her dragon companion. She caressed the stone as if it were one of the scales of the earth dragon. Aurea could recall their flights, though not one in particular. She remembered the wind through her hair, the feel of the grass that grew upon his skin, and the chirping of a happy Plainswalker. Yes, if she could keep but one memory, it would be the bond between warden and dragon.

Then Aurea was pulled away.

The stone fell from her hand as a stranger led her into a circle of other strangers. The young warden tried to reach out for the stone, but she found both her hands secured. Aurea didn't hear what the others said, nor did she care. She was focused on keeping her memory of her friend. If she lost Plainswalker, she wouldn't have anything at all.

"Plainswalker...Plainswalker...Plainswalker..."

Without warning, she was pulled out of her dark prison...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aurea felt like she woke from a bad dream. She could barely remember the darkness that held her for seemingly forever. Now she was surrounded by snow-dusted plains. She looked down upon Id and Waethrin as she sat upon a hill with a familiar tree. The bond she felt...this was no hill.

None was more surprised by this than the dragon Aurea sat upon.

The ground erupted as a head emerged from the icy snow to see if what he felt was truly Aurea. He immediately stood, causing Aurea to hold onto the tree on his back to avoid falling. The dragon arched his neck to smell his human. He didn't hold back: he sniffed furiously at her.

"It's me! It's me!"

He cried out in joy, a cry that could be heard from miles around. He thought they would never journey together again. After flying off to mourn his loss, he did return to the same spot where Aurea left the world. The dragon had destined himself to spend his days buried to be closer to his fallen warden. He didn't care how Aurea managed to survive. She was here, that was all that mattered.

They still had many years with each other remaining.

Last edited:
[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

[/bg][bg=#F5E538][bg=#339588]
There wasn't much luxury for respite in the face of a war like the one they were up against. Raleia would have needed centuries to recover and reflect, but it didn't seem like they were going to get so much as an hour. She would have liked to sleep… to just sit… to be still for a moment or two, without her thoughts twisting to the violence and devastation they had witnessed, but Winnock needed looking after as much as she did.

With a bucket and rags, she made for Winnock's side, and as he flopped down onto his belly with something of a disgruntled sigh, blowing smoke from his nostrils in curling grey tendrils, she set about wiping him down, "Quit fussin'... You'll be plenty more unhappy if you get an infection, and we've got to chop something off. Big baby."

Zuzu had patched Thannel well, giving his mangled eye privacy under a navy blue bandanna. It was tied loosely around his head so as not to agitate the stitches, silver hair bunching in a mess where the fabric laid. He had been avoiding most everyone for a time and had been sitting in a windowsill overlooking where the smaller dragons rested within the walls or on top of the roof to occasionally bat away the grey veil.

Winnock looked less abrasive when interacting only with Raleia. It was supposedly a common thing, or so he'd been told, for fire dragons to be less keen on anyone but their bonded. He couldn't really fathom a mental link with anyone. His head hurt enough as it was, and the medicinal tea Zuzu had given him didn't fog up the throbbing enough. It hurt to move his good eye.

The tin cup that held his hot beverage began to cool as it found itself empty. His dirty fingers cling to it still, laced around the handle and fiddling with its placement in his hold as he warred between sulking and socializing. Things were different now - too different from the life he had on his construct. What good had he done to this point? He chose exile in order to aid, but the guilt of his efforts in vain made him reclusive.

He needed to give back the cup now that it was no longer in use and reluctantly pulled himself away from the window to descend the staircase leading out to the courtyard. "Is he injured?" Thannel asked Raleia upon approach.

Winnock started to lift his head at the sound of footfall, but as Raleia looked up, she patted the dragon's neck, "Easy, Big Guy… Just rest." Gaze shifting, it lingered just briefly on Thannel's face, on the bandana covering the devastation, before flickering to his good eye, "His pride, mainly. He'll be alright."

Dropping the rag back into the basin, she dried her hands on the front of her pants, before raking them through a mess of red curls, "How about you? You gonna be alright?" She'd noticed his sullenness, and in truth, she had felt the strain, herself… felt the draw to retreat, to isolate herself from everyone, from everything. But their part wasn't over, not really, and despite what she felt, she knew she would never forgive herself if she'd given up.

Dropping her hand, she rubbed her arm, worrying at the edge of her lip, "...I wanted to thank you, Thannel. I… I'm not sure I would have made it through that mess, if I hadn't run into you."

His head fell as he shook his head, hints of shame evident in the features hidden behind the mess of hair that fell over his face. "I'm sure you would have figured something out," he said, and lifted his head to look at her. But his eye darted away just as soon as it looked at her electing to fixate on everything but the people in the courtyard. "I think I've done something. Something bad for us." He finally looked at Raleia with a mixture of concern and severity as if to silently warn her against protest to his words. "Can Shadow Casters take away memories?"

"I'm not so certain I would have wanted to figure it out…" she admitted, and her expression shifted, softened as she turned her eyes to him again. A frown fell in place, however, as he continued, a brow lifting, "...I… I'm not sure. I never really understood where their limitations were, but I… suppose they could. What do you mean?"

A pained grimace formed as he looked around them for eavesdroppers, air sucking through his teeth at the instinctive quick eye movements his injuries protested against. No one seemed to pay any mind to the pair, but he closed the distance between them none the less and lowered his voice.

"Savere," he said, and motioned in general to himself. "He was trying to get information from me. I was his captive. I remember him trying, and I remember a woman… Everything is hazy after that until she left. Savere looked pleased."

Blinking, Raleia reached out, her hand resting against his forearm as she shook her head, "Thannel. What… what happened to you was not your fault. You cannot blame yourself." Pausing, she seemed to consider something, frowning gingerly, "But it is important that he not have too much of an advantage. What… what would he want to know? Why would he question you, in the first place?"

A haunted look fell upon his features as he brought himself back into the past, back when the world faded into darkness by Lisella's command. "There's a darkness," he began hollowly. "Everpresent, Raleia. It… I can't explain it now that I'm here. That spell Lisella cast in the fields before the orcish army pulled me into the void, and in that darkness I just knew it's just constant but we can never see it."

He shook his head at his own rambling, his hand brushing through the air as if to toss his tangent aside. "It took me to Savere, and somehow he knew I was exiled and helping Dragon Wardens. He questioned me about it all. And when I would deny it he got frustrated. That's why his pleased look plagues me."

"But what information do you have that he might not know, already Thannel? What could you have told him that would inspire such a reaction? Even you didn't know our numbers at the time… and we'd yet to convince the Orc and the Thalls to help us. He could have pulled anyone of us through… It's like he chose you for a reason. Why?"

Shaking his head, Thannel shrugged, his fingers turning over the tin cup in his hands. "That I don't know," he said. "It could be any reason. Or possibly just as simple as that. I didn't see any other captors in that tower. I looked. So perhaps I was just convenient. At the very least they may know we are coming to Folhath. What would really please a man like Savere like the possibility of believing he has the upper hand?"

Reaching out, Raleia covered his hand with her own, tipping to meet his gaze, "As long as we don't give up, he'll never have the upperhand. And there's more Wardens than even I knew of. The very fact that he thinks he's one step ahead of us… we can use that to our advantage. And if we alter our own plan… then whatever you might have told him won't even matter. You escaping the fog, Thannel… I seriously doubt that left him with a smile on his face."

An uneasy huff of a laugh escaped him, and he nodded thoughtfully. He did find his escape clever in retrospect. Had he believed in luck he would likely assume he was full of such a thing. Holding up the empty cup, he looked back over at Raleia with a sheepish, crooked smile. "I should give this back to Zuzu."

Smiling, Raleia nodded, "She did a good job." Her hand shifted, stretched up and hovered carefully beside his cheek, "It must hurt. He's going to answer for it, Thannel. For all of it. Everything he's taken from us." Her free hand glanced across Valnir's amulet, "Everything."

[bg=#F5E538]Collab with @Effervescent, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

• Love
Reactions: Effervescent

Thannel
A Collab with @Elle Joyner

A pit formed at the sight of Valnir's amulet runed with elvish enginuity. It was warded against Shadow Magic skillfully and subtly and was their best defense against Savere and his lackeys, especially when around the neck of a Dragon Warden. He tried to hide his concern with a faint smile and a nod, fingers tightening around the cup anxiously. "Let me know if you need anything," he said, and then headed for the nearest door leading into the fort.

"You, too, Thannel." Raleia offered, watching him go with a small frown. Beside her, Winnock picked up his head and nuzzled it into her hip and with a chuckle, Raleia gave the dragon a pat. As her hand brushed his muzzle, a brow lifted and she glanced down at him, "Stay here…"

Moving quickly, she took off to the door Thannel had disappear through a moment earlier, "Thannel!" She called, "Thannel, wait."

He turned around to look at Raleia, slight confusion evident as he did not anticipate a request so soon. "Everything alright?"

Pausing, Raleia seemed to war with herself for a moment, before she moved closer, folding her arms around Thannel in a hug, "I'm glad you're safe, Thannel. In the fog… i wasn't sure it was you, but I'm glad it was… and you're safe."

The Refuge Within the Fog

The wind carried a chill that nipped at those out in the courtyard. Conversations both serious and lighthearted carried on as Dragon Wardens readjusted any armor on themselves or their dragons and checked their saddles. Mizzik was a rather large earth dragon that positioned himself outside, mostly due to his size. His bonded rider cooed at the dragon as he sat on the roof tossing a rock up for the dragon to tap back to him in a game. No one looked like they expected to stay long, their eyes constantly looking over to the tower where Lo perched himself in waiting for Dromast. The arcane dragon looked out at the fog, wings occasionally beating it away with the help of another dragon as they chirped and clacked in their own draconic conversation.

Zuzu collected her items on the table to arrange them more closely together. She, like everyone else, anticipated Dromast's command at any moment and wished not to be the token old woman scrambling to catch up with the spry lot. She found herself once again in the presence of the lone Vuaturi, and a smile pushed away her focus in favor of warmth.

"You look a little dreamy there, Thannel," she pointed out. "I'm fairly certain my tea isn't that powerful."

The elf's brow pushed together in momentary confusion, and with realization it was shaken away as he held out the tin cup. "I suppose I am a bit out of it," he said. Zuzu took the cup in her own hand and pulled it to her, eyes thoughtfully looking over the work she had to do on his face. The eye was a right mess, but the strikes were clean. He wouldn't scar too terribly if she had a hand in it, and the pride in her work elicited a nod that bobbed the old woman's head.

"Thank you for the tea," he added.

"Always happy to help," she said. He looked less distressed than before, yet still a bit distant as he wandered off towards the staircase leading up into the tower. She could see another Dragon Warden, Coleite, out of the corner of her eye, perhaps lingering or hesitating on approach towards the woman.

Closing the distance between she and Zuzu, she tried to smile, in thanks for the tea, but it hurt her cheek to do so. She wanted another, but Coleite thought it rude to ask when supplies were so limited. So she sat in a stool provided by the medic and tried not to wince as she cleaned the wound.

"Were you always a medic, Zuzu?" Coleite asked softly, nerves fluttering as she eyed the needle. "Is it what you wanted to do?"

She smiled a bit at the question, nodding her head thoughtfully and heaving a fond sigh. "Ah, I've not always been a medic. But I was just too damn good at it to run away from it. I wanted to be an Emasari, partly out of defiance and rebellion against my mentor's encouragement. I can sew a wound clean shut, barely a mark when healed, but for the life of me I couldn't run a group of young'ns to even make a V formation."

Coley mirrored Zuzu's smiled, if a bit hesitantly. It warmed her heart, to talk, especially of the Haven and Warden creed but her testament also settled her nerves. The young Warden had never needed stitches, nor had she visited the hospital for anything more threatening than a headcold or sprain.

"Do you think it's true then," Coley asked suddenly, fidgiting in the stool. "That we're all destined for something?"

Head tilting, Zuzu hummed in the thought, lips wrinkling as she pushed them together. "Destiny down to the T? No," she said as she tied up a suture. "But since we were born we were destined for a bigger purpose than ourselves. I think that's where I got it all wrong. I was thinking of myself, you see. What I wanted and not what was needed. I suppose we are destined to be selfless in the end. It's a bit harder now, don't you think?"

She tied up the final stitch and clipped the excess, gingerly patting a damp cloth about the threads to clean away the blood before the bandage roll. "Perhaps the time for destiny is over. I think we are all trying to figure out what to do next now that the weight of the world rests on everyone's shoulders and not just our own."

Paper maps were still quite common among the lands, yet to Thannel it still felt quite archaic to look upon it without the lay of the terrain in three dimensions. Dromast had set out a map held back by crystals she had brought with her from the cave. He recognized a few others in the room discussing their next course of action. Sallen and the twins Resfald and Darn from the Mouth of the Mountain beckoned the elf over quietly to take part in the planning.

"Folhath needs to be our main focus," Dromast said. "What we can do is have our dragons beat back the fog. Give the Sur a rest."

"Our dragons need to rest, too," Sallen stated.

"They are expending a lot of energy here," Resfald added as he nodded towards a window. "They won't be able to keep it up in time for the armies to get there."

Sallen's finger tapped the Woodlands above Folhath with a thought. "We can make camp somewhere outside of the fog," she suggested. "We can be nearby for the Sur but allow our dragons to rest their wings."

"What about the idiot dragons?" Darn asked. The others eyed him curiously as they awaited further explanation. "The stubborn ones that won't rest."

"We're a driven organization by nature," said Dromast, "but we are all the survivors for a reason. Anyone left knows what they need to do to keep on and stay alive. We'll stress that at the meeting. Thannel. Nice bandanna. You had mentioned you encountered Orc Tainted in the fog. Did you come across anything else?"

The pit in Thannel's stomach formed again as his guilty conscience won the war with a single question. "Savere," he admitted. The expected alarm did not show on any of their faces, their silence urging him to continue. "And a woman he seemed to admire. She was more powerful than him in their magic, and he revered her. He wanted to be like her."

"What did she look like?" Sallen asked. Dromast and the twins shot the woman a curious look, but she had a focused stare on Thannel.

"Dark hair, somewhat aging, vibrant dyes in her clothes, blue eyes," he listed.

"Were they an unsettling blue?" Sallen asked further, and Thannel nodded.

"Deeper in hue than arcane to be sure," he said, "but definitely not like any color I've seen in eyes before. I don't have a word to describe it."

Sallen looked over to Dromast with concern. "I've encountered someone with eyes like that before. They belonged to a man, though. He was the one Lisella brought in to interrogate the captured Dragon Wardens."

"They can somehow see into minds," Thannel added. The news brought a frown to Dromast's lips and a silence to settle in the room with tension. "They may know everything I knew before now."

Dromast nodded in thought, her eyes flecking back to look upon her map on the table. "We'll assume then they know the armies are coming," she said. "They don't know how many Dragon Wardens there are. We can use that to our advantage. Darn and Resfald can lead a small group to the armies to give an updated report. The rest of us can head to Folhath and assess from there before sending another report."

They left the tower soon after to hold a briefing in the courtyard relating everything they knew openly. Eosphelon croaked and chirped, his head suddenly bolting up as if to search the skies. A few other dragons observed him curiously, heads tilting in silent questioning while some trilled in response to the arcane dragon's excitement. He spread his wings and lifted off in a gust that whipped Thannel's hair as he entered the courtyard again.

"That's either a bad sign or a good one," Resfald noted as they watched the dragon disappear. "I'll go make sure all is well!" He waved back to Dromast and ran to his dragon, taking off soon after to follow after Eosphelon. Dromast urged the others to remain for the remainder briefing, detailing the split of a smaller group to head back with Darn to report to the armies what they knew while the rest flew to Folhath.

Thannel brought Raleia and Coleite together to confess a concern that weighed him. "They may know of your necklaces," he said. "They may even know your faces. I don't know. It's better to be cautious about this. Arm yourselves with weapons and never take the necklaces off."

Once the briefing concluded, Dromast assigned the lot to their groups and dismissed them all to mount their dragons. As soon as they ascended above the fog it slowly rolled back over the small fort leaving only the tower to be seen above the dense vapors.

@rissa @Elle Joyner

Currently
You're either on your way to Folhath or on your way to meet up with the armies. I leave which way up to you!

The Border of the Woodlands of Valnahar

The Thall army had caught up to the Orcs before the rendezvous point, which became the brunt of a joke among the Orcs that only furthered the tension and unease the humans felt while among them. There was an obvious segregation as each stuck to their own kind in the march apart from their leaders. Drau'zul insisted on Addiver's presence once the Thalls arrived more for company than diplomacy. They talked of the fog that lingered to their right and of what was to come in the fight for Folhath.

"I'm impressed," the newly appointed leader said as she looked behind them at the march of humans. It was not an impressive number to Addiver Cald, but it was a number of men and women with conviction and drive to make a difference. He followed the direction of the orc's gaze to note what impressed her so, catching on yet not sharing the sentiment.

"It took some time," he said. "Most of the lot was against what their former queen had set in place. There isn't a lot of faith left in the monarchy, but the princess gave her blessing without hesitation. Little things tend to encourage us humans."

"I will bear that in mind," she said thoughtfully. "But may they find encouragement in our big weapons as well."

"We know their power is formidable," he said. "And complicated. I hope your people will see the respect we have for you."

"Your people need to respect more than us Orcs," she stated.

They approached a group just at a treeline, the obvious silhouette of a large earth dragon apparent. As they drew closer, Addiver could make out the familiarity of the group; a wizened old bearded man, an aging Dragon Warden, and an exuberant young girl alongside her dragon companion. He struggled to recall their names, but he remembered them from the fields. He remembered the flash of anger from the older man in regards to Lisella most notably.

"Hmph," Drau'zul huffed as she noted the Dragon Wardens, plus one. "So this is where they disappeared to."

Nudging his horse forward, Addiver trotted to the group and hailed them with a wave of his hand. "Quite a fortunate coincidence running into you," he said upon approach. Idhrenan looked at him hesitantly, her focus more in tune with the distant pull she felt of Eosphelon. He was coming to her, and they shared in the elation with a fluttering heart. She long more for her friend than to take interest in the presence of a Thall Officer.

The Stranger had come with them through the void, her dark hair collecting flakes of snow like stars as they slowly fell from the tufted clouds above. She felt out of place, and looked the part too, eyes wide as if in shock. Addiver almost had a mind to address the woman, but elected against approach.

"Eaahhhhhh," was all he managed to give, his eyes falling on Waethrin in hopes the final adult could be of more talk. "We're headed for Folhath," he continued. "Orcs and what I could muster of Thall. We've got another half an hour before we reach our rendezvous. We'll make camp there for the night and wait for a report from the other Dragon Wardens. You are all more than welcome to join. Hot meals and a tent are in order, don't you think?"

@Red Thunder @Toogee

Currently
Your characters will find their new reality to feel more real than ever before. Life no longer feels dreamlike or lost, though Waethrin will still notice the void where Ancalagon's bonded presence should be. You are free to collab if you'd like and even have your characters make it to the field where the armies will make camp and wait for the Dragon Wardens to report. Orcs will be less aloof or standoffish towards the Dragon Wardens.

[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

There was little to say about the notion of going to war. Raleia had lived her entire life believing that peace was her mission and all else was failure. But things had changed so much since the sacking of Haven. The world had changed - it had become colder and crueler and the fog covered more than just the lands. It covered the hearts of the people, filling them and blinding them to goodness and honesty, to fairness. Peace couldn't be achieved by words, anymore. They needed to take the Shadow Army to task for their misdeeds and build anew on the foundation that remained thereafter.

The Wardens would no longer follow the path they had for so long - they couldn't with so few of them left, but they would need a purpose, and whatever that was, Raleia hoped it was for the best. Though whether or not she would be a part of it, she wasn't entirely sure. There was hurt... and it would need to heal. And a part of her, a large part of her, just wanted peace of her own...

If she even survived.

A sigh escaped as the briefing say the groups split - some towards Folhath and some to greet the armies. Raleia had not missed Eosphelon's departure and knew, at least to some extend what it might mean, but she dare not hope - not yet - that some of the others had survived. That Olsten...

Fists balling tightly, she looked to Winnock, her fingers gliding down his curved neck. If there were survivors, more Wardens who made it through, then they would meet again. But for now, there were more important things to focus on - There could be no life, not for any of them, until the Shadow was defeated. And that would be a much more precarious task, with Thannel's warnings over her necklace. With Winnock prepared for takeoff, she sought out the elf once more.

"I'm ready, if you are. That is..." Smiling gingerly, she shrugged, "If you're coming with me. I just assumed by now... Anyway. You're welcome to, if you'd like. But before we do, I've been thinking about what you said, regarding our necklaces... Mine and Coley's. Do you think there might be a way to use their knowledge of the necklaces against them? Do you think it's even possible? "

[bg=#F5E538]Collab with @Effervescent, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

From the back of her dragon, Aurea watched as Addiver addressed her fellow wardens. Idhrenan seemed to be in an entirely different place, not focused on Addiver at all. Waethrin…there was something off, but she couldn't figure out what. Perhaps the journey from the UnderElm affected them differently than the young warden.

For Aurea, it was as if a weight had been lifted. The fogginess of her mind and the constant loss of everything she was went away when she saw the sun again. Reunited with her dragon, Aurea hadn't been this happy since Id found her after the fall of the Haven. The nightmare that was the UnderElm was only a nightmare in her memory. The last reminder of that journey was the stranger standing amongst the wardens.

From what Aurea could recall, she wasn't on good terms with the stranger initially. The young warden didn't trust her in that strange world, often thinking the worst of her. Now, it was the stranger that had the shocked confused look across her face. Aurea knew the feeling. It was her turn to guide the stranger through a strange land. Aurea slid down the side of Plainswalker and walked to the stranger.

"Hey," Aurea said softly to the stranger and took her hand. "Don't get lost. I'll guide you this time."

Waethrin
a field in Thallas
A fog of a different kind lingered on in Waethrin's mind; despite the sudden and very welcome loss of memory of what the UnderElm had been like, he couldn't shake the horror of it. He merely stared at the snow, apparently entranced, trying to find some foothold in reality. To one side, Aurea reunited with her Wyrm; to the other, Idhrenan had a distant air about her, as if she were feeling her own Dragonish friend. For the old man, the piercing pang of loneliness that the darkness had infected him with remained despite the daylight. The lines on his face grew tighter as he considered he implications and found himself actually praying to the gods that his one remaining connection to his old life hadn't left him alone in the world.

"Hm?" Addivar's voice did finally break through, the first new voice in what felt like millennia, and the promise of a bed and a hot meal, not to mention reunification with the surviving Wardens, was the bit of positivity he needed. Warthrin grunted in affirmation. "Aye; we could all use that about now."

His eye lifted, following Addivar's path from where he'd come. Ah; the Orcs. The corner of his mouth lifted. It was good to see some small victory, even the small victory of conciliation. Lifting a hand to Idhrenan's shoulder, he gave it a small shake.

"Come; your dragon will find us whether we move or stay, and we must care for the little one. And you, Aurea! Bring your friend." The Stranger. They needed to repay her efforts in freeing them, if nothing else. And he had a sneaking suspicion she was connected to Lisella, wherever the nine hells she might have gone, and he had questions. "She needs those things as much as we."

@Effervescent @Toogee

Chapter 5
40th Day of Winter, Year 1354

The air was chilling as it began to snow once again. Raleia, Coleite, and Thannel flew upon the dragons over the dense fog. White tufts flew past them like shards as they made their way to Folhath with most of the other Dragon Wardens not far behind. Having the only complete defense against Shadow Magic put Raleia and Coleite at an incredible advantage, even with the enemy knowing.

"They could use the knowledge to their advantage," Thannel had told the two back at the fort. "But only in that they would know they would need to use physical force against you and that it would not protect the others or the dragons. We need to consider this as they may attempt to single the both of you out and take the necklaces."

It was a notion Thannel contemplated in the hours it took to reach Folhath. The City in the Trees was mostly enveloped in the fog, though the tallest trees still held their barren canopies above the grey. The elvish lookout nests were exposed this time of year as the wooden structures no longer had the shelter of the trees' dense leaves.

A Sur lookout greeted the band of Dragon Wardens with a wave to signal their welcome, and a horn blew down into the fog with one long tone. Descending into the thick vapors would seemingly never end, but fortunately the brush of the forest floor and the paths worn out by the elves revealed themselves in enough time for a soft landing. With the power of the dragons' wings collectively pushing through the air for their landing, Folhath found brief reprieve from the fog as it momentarily cleared.

The city itself seemed untouched, the structures carefully built around the trees unblemished. The Sur seemed overall frightened, relief on their faces as they saw not only the muted light of the sun behind the snow clouds but the presence of Dragon Wardens.

King Helryn N'myr approached the Dragon Wardens in Folhath's clearing where the trees broke away to a small field enclosed by the forest and the city. It would likely be the only place comfortable enough for the larger dragons to rest, and most didn't seem to mind it as their riders dismounted. They were all quite exhausted from all their traveling.

The Sur King was a rugged elf even without the constant war against Shadow Magic. His beard was thick and streaked with grey despite his face retaining an almost youthful appearance. His long hair cascaded down his back over thick furs and leathers and crowned regally and ornately in metal. He bowed respectfully to the Dragon Wardens as Dromast took the lead in introduction and briefing.

"We have much to discuss," she said to the king after bowing in return. "We've been through the fog and over it. Is there anywhere we may speak with you and your leaders?"

"I'll have them summoned," King N'myr said as he motioned for them to follow. Dromast urged Raleia, Coleite, and Thannel to come as well with a silent wave of her own hand to them. Most of the Dragon Wardens stayed behind to tend to the dragons or speak to any questioning elves that ventured into the field.

"The last time I was here was in Spring," Thannel said as they followed. "It still feels strange to be involved in these sorts of affairs. I suppose you two are used to this. Have you ever been here before?"

@Elle Joyner @rissa

As much as she wanted to wait, Idhrenan walked alongside the others as they followed alongside the fog. She would eventually be reunited fully with Eosphelon even if they moved onward and eastward. It was another half an hour, the snow accumulating and collecting around the soles of their boots as they marched. Those further along dealt with the mud and slush after the pounding of thousands of feet upon the earth, but the Dragon Wardens, and the Stranger, found themselves more upfront as insisted by Drau'zul and Addiver.

Aurea showed the Stranger unexpected kindness. Aurea hadn't initially trusted her, and looking back on the situation in the UnderElm it was a miracle no one had killed her. She walked beside the girl quietly for some time still attempting to gain her bearings yet knowing in her heart this was unfamiliar territory.

"My name is Amber, by the way," she finally said to Aurea. "I remember it all now. You… you seem to have everything back as well, correct?"

Plainswalker was unlike anything Amber had ever seen, and had it not been for Aurea taking her hand she might have fled in fear. But the Dragon was not so threatening in character as he was in presence. She looked over to the dragon, eyeing him curiously and almost too hesitant to pose her inquiry.

"What is it?" she asked Aurea as she nodded to Plainswalker. "It's docile and friendly to you, yet I would have assume it a monster."

The armies set up their tents and started their fires both for cooking and for warmth. The sun threatened evening as it lowered in the sky behind the snow clouds, the temperature dropping.

"It'll be cold tonight," Idhrenan said to Waethrin in idle chat. It was still a strange thing to her to be in the presence of a legend. "Do you think that was the end of Lisella, or do you think there's more to come of her? She cast us into the UnderElm… That's powerful Shadow Magic. I can only imagine what we are to face with Savere."

Looking over to Aurea and the Stranger, she shook her head. "We got lucky," she continued. "We were only able to get out by what she is able to do. Unless there is more like her, we won't be able to suffer another spell like that to any magnitude. And the portals… the portals in the sky up North. We are throwing ourselves into the fray of chaos once again, and while we may know what is to come, I am unsure how to properly prepare the others."

@Toogee @Red Thunder

[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

Back into the fog. Raleia nerves were frayed, her mind a whirling mass of uncertain thoughts, as by necessity alone, their journey took them once again into the grey. Folhath, at least, was a more civilized location, unlike the field of the dead that Raleia had discovered earlier, but the looks on the faces of the elves as they landed were less than encouraging, and she recalled how it was when she discovered Thannel wandering... how his mind had been warped, twisted by the whispering voices in the murky beyond.

There was no warmth, no life in the creeping fog. These people, their entire lives had become a waiting terror. Their only hope was in those few stragling survivors... And Raleia was not convinced there was much fortune in that at all. But she could not give in to the dread. They had no more advantages than they did before, yet they were willing to stand, willing to fight. If they could do nothing else, they would die, trying...

Thannel had suggested that she and Coley would be targeted for their necklaces, and this, oddly, had given her more drive than anything else. There was a chance they could use the information against their enemies, a chance they could make their stand on it. Thannel had not been meant to survive, of that she was certain, but his making it out of the fog had been the light they desperately needed. The light she needed. It was a stroke of luck that the enemy, she prayed, would not see coming.

Giving Winnock a pat on the neck, she instructed the beast to stay put, before she turned to the others. Looking over to Thannel as they followed after Dromast, she nodded faintly, "It's definitely more in the wheelhouse of what we're used to, though I've never been here, personally. Val'nir was here a few times. It seems so long ago, the prime of the Wardens. Hard to think it's only been but a few months."

[bg=#F5E538]@Effervescent, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

So the Stranger had a name. Just as Aurea's memory was restored, Amber seemed to be remembering things about herself. The young warden was curious about her new friend, moreso when she didn't recognize what a dragon was. Wardens had practically known of dragons since birth; it was surprising to meet someone who hadn't seen one before. Not everyone was a warden, of course.

"Oh, this guy?" Aurea said to Amber. "This is Plainswalker, an earth dragon. Most people do think of them as scary monsters, especially these days. But the dragons and us wardens, we're paired for life to protect our neighbors."

While Aurea spoke, Plainswalker craned his neck over Amber's head. With his giant nostrils, he sucked up her hair to catch her scent. She didn't smell like any of the wardens. In fact, she didn't smell like anyone else. Something was different about this one…

"It's best to just let him finish. He's just getting to know you." Aurea advised Amber, smiling as the dragon ceased. He got up on his feet and followed the pair from behind.

"Maybe in the morning, I can take you for a ride. And after our business is done here, I can take you home. Say, where are you from anyways? Thallas? Baladur? Faledrin?"

• Love
Reactions: rissa
Waethrin

"If in fact they would even find the idea feasible. Truthfully, even now, it seems such a outlandish consideration, that we were in the UnderElm, of all places."

Waethrin crunched through snow unceremoniously, his booted feet falling with the weight of exhaustion. He smiled in spite of himself as Aurea took to chatting amiably with … Amber, it seemed. She looked uncomfortable with the scenario, being surrounded by strangers and being investigated by a large dragon

The thought tore at his heart, nearly causing him to stumble. To distract himself, he brought his mind in to focus on Idhrenan's concerns.

"Can we say that there is sure preparation? Will any last second advice we might provide override years of honed instinct, or worse, ingrained character flaw?" His eye shot to Addivar momentarily, flashing with worry. But he seemed otherwise occupied in thought. Waethrin lowered his voice a bit more anyway. "Naught we might prepare them for, besides. As you stated, we got lucky.

"And I hope, as much as we were, that Lisella was not. Regrettably, though, I can't say for certain whether her actions merely encompasses her in the same way it did us, or whether she had to sacrifice herself to do so."

Suddenly, he stopped short, gripping Idhrenan's arm with vise-tight fingers. His voice dropped to a whisper, barely containing furious concern.

"And the good of the many be damned. If you ever insist on a similar plan to what you did Beneath, I swear to the gods I'll knock you down first." He let go, taking a step back. "The world still needs the Wardens, and the Wardens will still need you. What you tried to do was noble but damn stupid. Leave the sacrifice to others of less worth."

@Effervescent

coleite

"It's hard to believe it's only been a few months…"

Coleite trudged across the foreign forest floor, a few paces behind Raleia and Thannel who were but a few paces behind Dromast and the rugged Sur King. She'd been silent and introspective for most of their journey here, reflecting unspoken emotions between the bond she shared with Briseis... but Raleia's words jolted her brain back into focus, back on to the task at hand.

It came as a surprise to hear it like that, it felt like years had passed since it's Sacking.

Ignoring the throb in her chest, Coleite took a few long strides in order to catch up to the pair. "What was it like during Spring, Thannel? I wish I could've seen it then, without all the Fog… Maybe once… Maybe once we… yeah. I bet it was beautiful."

@Effervescent

• Nice Execution!
Olsten
With @Effervescent
His gut churned as he fell. All concept of time, direction and place vanished like leaves scattering in the wind. Space and time flashed by in brilliant hues, faster and faster he blasted toward the looming darkness at the end of the narrowing tunnel and then-

Nothing.

His mind reeled as he tasted dust. Something hard pressed against his chest and belly, his eyes fluttered open and stared into a dusty little attic. Never before had he been so happy, so relieved to be flat on the ground and promptly kissed the floor. Thank you, he muttered in the privacy of his mind to whoever was listening. Groaning, he raised himself and brushed the sawdust and cobwebs from his cloak. As he stood, the crown of his head nearly touched the worn-out woodwork of a modest room. A deadly silence lingered in the house, and a beam of sunlight poked through the thatched roof, setting the air ablaze with a thousand specks of floating dust. For a second he froze, struggling to comprehend how he'd made it through the darkness. Where were the others? Where was Grybil?

The scent of stale air hit his nostrils. No one had been here, wherever here was, in some time, yet the bed was made and clean. He reached out for Grybil, but the nothingness that answered was all too familiar. For a second he feared Grybil had perished, but then he reminded himself that perhaps he was simply too far removed from the slim dragon. Clenching his jaw he cast out any feverish thoughts. This was not a good time to panic, he needed to think.

Slowly but surely his mind re-organized. How he'd gotten here or why didn't matter so long as he didn't know where he was. He jolted and desperately checked his belt, then sighed in relief as his fingers recognized the grip of the pommel. The cold steel glistened in the pale winter light as he unsheathed the blade. There was no sound of occupants even beneath the rows of wooden planks. Through the slats the brightness of the lower floor could be seen decorated in colors of reds and yellows that matched the quilt upon the bed upstairs. A portrait rested on the bedside table set within a frame kept close to an oil lamp depicting a Thall soldier in full attire.

Fine strokes outlined a man in the prime of his life, the only sign of age being the crow's feet near his wide, laughing eyes. Just his luck to be miraculously transported into the home of a Thall soldier. He puffed his cheeks and set his gaze on the stairs leading downward, already pitying the man should they cross paths.

One creaky step after another he made his way down, checking every corner and treading as lightly as possible. There was still daylight, even brighter downstairs, shining through the dusty windows. Cobwebs lined the corners and wooden beams that stretched across the ceiling to keep the upper floorboards in place. There were more paintings on the lower floor that decorated the walls around the coldness hearth made of smooth river stone. He lowered his guard and hesitated a moment.

"Hello?" he called.

No answer came but the gentle whistling of the wind slithering through the nooks and crannies of old wood and stone. His eyes fell on the pictures lining the wall, absent-mindedly scanning the set of faint and worn paintings, perhaps hoping that the people thereon would provide some answers. Nothing. Except-

The blade slipped from his hands and clattered down on the hardwood floor. There, on the wall was a painting next to the soldier he'd seen before (although younger in this depiction) of a baby having never grown up in this house, for on his head was a noticeable tuft of red hair. The name of the baby was just as plain to see as the red hair painted on the canvas, etched within the wood in crisp letters. It was uncommon for families to keep mementos of a warden child they had to give up, but this family chose instead to commemorate rather than forget. He strode forward, and grabbed the painting with both hands.

'Olsten' read the inscription.

His chest heaved with a deep, shaky breath as he looked up to those faces. Could it be? Could it really be? This was some dream surely, some trick played on his mind by dark sorcery, but as his finger slid across the frame depicting his father, he was certain. He was home.

• Nice Execution!
The Veteran Debrief
a collab between @Effervescent and @Red Thunder
"The world still needs the Wardens, and the Wardens will still need you. What you tried to do was noble but damn stupid. Leave the sacrifice to others of less worth."

The old man grunted, nodding to Aurea with a softer look than he'd had for too long. She seemed to be whole again, recovered from the awful disconnect that the UnderElm had forced upon them. She smiled, for gods' sakes, an act that itself leveled out Waethrin's perpetual frown perhaps a bit.

"She needs you, Idhrenan. She, and whatever other gods-forsaken riders who may have survived. You are intelligent, even if you can be brash, and the Wardens will need that."

A bit of embarrassment flushed Idhrenan's cheeks at Waethrin's words, her head shaking it off ever so slightly as she looked from Aurea to the cloudy sky. "We are all needed" she countered. "I know my own worth, and I felt the cost was just if it meant the return home. It's a silly thing, I suppose, to think of such things. To think I had to do it."

She looked back over at Waethrin finally, arms crossed over her chest as she eyed the old Dragon Warden over. "Do you think you're not needed, Waethrin?" she asked. "Even before all of this… You left the Dragon Wardens all those years ago. You were one of the best; a legend even."

He scoffed in return, giving a small drift of snow an awkward kick, the petulance of his youth returning momentarily. Silence answered Idhrenan's statement of fact for uncomfortable moments, neither contradicting nor validating it. Gnarled fingers groped for a hilt, seeking comfort in familiarity, but the blade was as absent as his purpose.

"Legends are fairy stories, chi- Idhrenan, told by those with no part in them. Told by those blessed with the ignorance that the span of years and the leagues of distance grants." Waethrin's eye stared ahead, clearly avoiding her own glance, and his face was rigid. "I left for good reason. And I remained for shame. The Wardens were always better without, for no smith of worth keeps the hammer that rends and breaks iron."

There was a past she did not know, one not told in the stories of the Inferno. Watching him speak without much of an explanation showed her it was not her place to know despite her curiosities. Her head nodded, slightly yet enough to display her acknowledgement of the answer he chose to give. "What made you decide to return?" she asked. "The fall… Do you see your worth now? That you aren't a faulty hammer?"

"Even the hammer that rends iron will rend skulls. A few youths were taking far too much joy in the news of it. After … teaching them respect, we headed north. Toward the Haven. But you have seen how, even as a skull crusher, this hammer has collateral.

"But that is the past. Looking back detracts from the task at hand." Finally, Waethrin looked to Idhrenan. There was anticipation in his glance. "What of the Wardens now? Will you rebuild the order? Or will you let it die, as the world at large seems to desire?"

"I'm not sure," she responded wistfully. "I'm not sure it's up to just one person. I think it's up to us all. Do we collectively want to rebuild? It would be a question to face once all this is over. Would you join the Dragon Wardens once again? That is, in whatever we decide to do."

As before, he was silent for a moment.

"I'm not certain I still qualify for the position," he whispered, his expression downcast. His bond with Ancalagon still felt … missing. Empty. The Drake had yet to show up, and he hadn't dared ask anyone what his fate might have been after he and the others were ripped into the UnderElm. Idhrenan wouldn't know. "Regardless, it wouldn't be as anything greater than teacher. Should the Wardens persist, maybe there are things I could pass on.

"And you? What role will you play?"

She looked over at Waethrin, age only apparent in the white of his beard and the lines that etched across his face. "Perhaps the same," she said thoughtfully. "Or perhaps just a caregiver. Someone to make sure there's food on the table and a roof over their heads. A place where we don't have to live like this anymore. Whether or not we take back the mantle of peacekeeper may not even be up to us. Would this act of freeing the elven people be enough to redeem all that was lost? All that the Shadow Wardens destroyed?"

A spot appeared just below the clouds and grew as it closed the distance. Idhrenan smiled in immediate knowing, eyes casting back to the sky to watch Eosphelon's approach with shared excitement between them. "How far is Ancalagon?" she asked Waethrin.

He snorted dismissively, but his heart seized in his chest. The small bit of gratitude he'd felt at Idhrenan's obvious joy at her dragon's reappearance turned sour, only emphasizing his own dragon's absence. With every step, his legs seemed heavier.

"The fool is late, as usual." Waethrin eyed the Arcane Dragon as it approached. It was a beautiful creature and reflected well on Idhrenan. Desperate, he reached out once more, seeking to feel his friend's emotions. The emptiness that again greeted him made bile rise in his throat. His face contorted in discomfort; he had never been good at lying. "It's fortunate that yours isn't."

At first, his words didn't strike her with any second thought. Eosphelon grew closer bubbling with anticipation that took over much of her focus. But as she watched the arcane dragon fly below the clouds her memories of events prickled the back of her mind, inching forward as her companion crew nearer. He sensed her concern in the thoughts now of why Ancalagon was not with Eosphelon, or why Eosphelon was not with Plainswalker.

The dragon swooped downward in the nearest clearing and called out to her in an impatient groan. "I don't know why our dragons were separated," she said to Waethrin as she asked Eosphelon to wait. "The lost connection with us likely caused distress or disorientation. But if he feels you then it shouldn't be much longer. I'll see how long we intend to camp here before marching on to Folhath. We'll need every dragon and warden on duty."

What if one qualifies for that position no longer?

But he couldn't give voice to that thought. One corner of his mouth lifted at the sight of Eosphelon.

"Aye. And that duty will find us, no doubt sooner rather than later. For now, someone seems to ache for your affection." Waethrin gestured toward the dragon encouragingly. "Go, lass; the concerns of an old man shouldn't dim the joy of your reunion."

"Indeed, he does," she said with a chuckle as she turned towards her impatient dragon companion cooing across the camp. "It was a good talk, Waethrin. Glad to have you back with us."

Hope Rekindled
By @Toogee and @Red Thunder

The road to the campsite outside Folhath was long. Aurea was glad to have a place to rest not just her body, but her mind. Her near-death experience (which she was still having trouble recalling) had left her wondering about the future. Whether they were victorious against the Shadow or not, where would that leave the wardens? She remembered talking to Id about just leaving this world behind with the remaining wardens. She said they had an obligation to defeat the Shadow: they were the only ones equipped to do so.

How far did that obligation stretch?

Aurea wanted to consult Waethrin. She hadn't spoken to him since they rejoined the Thalls and orcs. Finding him again was tricky within the hustle and bustle of the campsite. When Aurea did find Waethrin, it seemed he had other things on his mind.

The old man sat in a small tent, weathered and stained from long seasons. He had a large whetstone in his hand that he was running back and forth across the length of a black blade of middling size: a gift from a repentant and guilt-ridden Thall. His surroundings were necessarily meager; apart from the bed roll that lay unopened in a corner and the stool he now sat upon, there was a ragged table not two feet across, bearing some variety of hard tack, dried meat, and cheese.

The flaps of the tent fluttered as Aurea peeked within, and Waethrin glanced up before returning to his work.

"How is the woman doing?" He ran the whetstone against the metal again, and a muted grinding filled the enclosure.

"Amber? She's doing well, considering."

Aurea let herself into the tent. Using the unrolled bed roll as an extra seat, she watched as Waethrin sharpened his blade. She appreciated these simpler times, where they could just sit in silence without any worry from the outside world. The hypnotic motion almost made her forget as to why she was here.

"Do you think," Aurea broke the silence, "do you think we get to see the world without the Shadow?"

There was a pregnant pause, only intercut by the monotonous scratch of the sharpening. It was a practiced motion; the gnarled hand held the stone gently, applying only the pressure necessary to shave away just that bit of steel as would bring a satisfactory edge back to it. Within the thoughtful lull of conversation, there was another; Waethrin bent down, removing the whetstone to examine a minor flaw in the blade before grunting and resuming the work.

"The world existed before the Shadow, lass; it would follow that it shall exist after it." He didn't return her glance. "Yet I can't say whether it will be us that sees such. Much work is needed, I kin, before it is removed.

"But what will you do, to take steps in that direction?"

Aurea stayed silent on Waethrin's question. She knew what she would do: to take what was left of them and run. She was too ashamed to say so to her elder, one who came back from exile to save them. Still she skirted around her answer.

"Lady Id said it was our duty to protect the world from the Shadow. But we've been attacked by enemies and those we were sworn to protect. There aren't many of us left now."

She lingered upon the sound of the whetstone. Thoughts of the Haven's fall filled the silence.

"How long must we carry this burden? Have we not paid enough?"

The stone fell silent at last, the careful poise of his form falling some degree with a measured sigh.

"There are some deeds for which the debt is too great. Some deeds that require eternal payment." Waethrin stared blankly at the floor, his mind clearly elsewhere, before looking back to Aurea. "Yet I'd wager the Wardens are not doomed to forever pay for a sin not of their making. This is a tragedy for all involved, with only the Shadow as malicious in intent. In success or failure, it becomes evident that the world will form ranks together against it, forgetting mistakes of the past.

"But I did not ask of Idhrenan's intent; I asked of yours" he admonished, a slight disciplinary edge in his tone that was not unkind. Hindered though he was in his vision, he saw through her reluctance clearly. "Speak honestly, lass. You'll find no judgment from me."

Aurea let out a sigh. There was no use hiding from the old man.

"If it were up to me, I would gather what's left of the wardens...and leave. Take everyone south, beyond the Glassy Sea. Find a place to settle and live out in peace for as long as we can."

"I know it's not our way. I used to think we could go back to the way things were. But...our ways...they died at the Haven, didn't they?"

"I can't say, lass."

Waethrin set aside the whetstone, taking up next a strap of leather. Stepping on one end and gripping the other in his left hand, he ran the blade across it, adding a finish to the metal that the whetstone had ruined. Much would be determined by the events of the near future, the conclusions of which would likely set the stage for how the Wardens were to conduct themselves. Yet regardless of their doom, new redheads -Wardens, if not trained as such- would continue to be born of the populace at large, and if the Wardens hide in isolation, as he had done decades ago, who might provide them guidance, or safety?

"I can't say."

Aurea took some small comfort in knowing that the great Inferno may have had the same doubts as she did. Decades ago, Waethrin made a decision to leave the Wardens. She wondered if he still had those sentiments, the same she was considering with what remained of her kin.

"What about you? If you were made the one-man Council, where do you take the wardens?"

Funny, that she should touch on the topic so soon after his discussion with Idhrenan.

"My opinion matters little, lass, and it's therefore unworthy of consideration. Besides," Waethrin trailed off, pausing in his work as his gaze became distant, "I'm certain I'm a Dragon Warden no more."

"With all due respect, Master Warden," Aurea began, "you were highly regarded even in your absence. Your opinion matters most of all."

"There were these guys, back at the Haven. They thought the Council was 'too soft', admired your legends. They had this poem they would recite at the local tavern. ...Maybe poem is too proper a word. Well, I don't remember all the lyrics but it went something like..."

The young warden straightened up, cleared her throat, and began to sing the words, a reminder of a happier time:

Waethrin, the Mighty Inferno!

The Warrior Warden, the Woe of Foe!

When word held no power and battle was near,

He brandished the sword, and enemies cleared.

But when Council declared that fighting was done,

That our weapons could rest at last,

He rode upon Ancalagon,

And flew into our past.

Waethrin's eye closed, his mouth a thin line as moisture gathered above his cheek. He'd stopped running the blade against the leather as Aurea started reciting the poem, and as she finished the blade rested on the ground, hilt still held but largely forgotten. His chest rose and fell, steadying his breath against the shudders that threatened to rise from his diaphragm. Finally, he found his voice.

"I will do what is needed, child, whatever is needed of me. For whomever needs it."

Aurea nodded after hearing Waethrin confirm his commitment to the wardens. No matter where the wardens ended up, they would need his knowledge in order to survive.

"I will help too. I want to make sure our knowledge isn't forever lost in the Haven. I want to learn from you, so we never forget who we are."

She hoped she wasn't too forward with her request. Aurea would never have imagined asking someone of Waethrin's caliber to be a personal teacher, not in the days of the Haven.

As she stated rather concisely her desire, Waethrin's eyelid rose, and his baleful glance fell on her in obvious consideration. It was far from traditional, for a Warden of one affinity to apprentice a Warden of another. At least, to his memory. Tutors of every magic taught broadly, of course, instructing on skills and knowledge that perhaps only tangentially referenced their affinity.

Aurea had drive, for a typically stoic Earth Warden, and she spoke with passion about the Wardens. It was a point of commonality from which to start, if she were asking what he thought she was.

"Are you asking to apprentice yourself to me, child?" There was no harshness in his voice, beyond what came naturally, save perhaps a touch of hesitation. "The legacy of that position is one of misguidance and betrayal. Be certain."

"I am," Aurea replied. "I am certain that I want to help what's left of us. I don't know where that takes us, but I believe we will need your guidance, now and forever. I'm not doing this for your strength. I'm doing this for your knowledge."

Aurea noted Waethrin's warning of his past apprentice. Yet she spoke with confidence. She didn't believe what she was asking for would somehow corrupt her.

"Besides, we have Id and the others," the young warden offered a smile. "They won't let us mess this up."

"Beware that confidence, Aurea; Surety and Pride wear the same garb.

"But this is good. Yes, I will do what I can for you, though I suspect my methods may no longer be considered orthodox."

As if remembering what it was he had been doing before being interrupted, Waethrin raised his hand and examined the sword it held. The edge he'd given it looked to be strong, and he ran an inspecting finger over its length. Satisfied, he stood, knees creaking.

"Fire shall purge the impurities from Stone, that the Stone may be the stronger foundation. And because I'm an old man and I find amusement in petty displays of pithy axioms, the first thing you will learn is the forging of a good blade.

"Come; there is much to be done."

Without waiting for her acknowledgement, he strode out of the tent with a vigor that belied his age.

Aurea immediately grabbed her journal tucked into her belt. But she waited until Waethrin cleared the tent. She then gave the tiniest squeal. Not only was she the Inferno's little friend, she was now his apprentice! She immediately started jotting down her thoughts on the first page:

Aurea, Inheritor of the Inferno That Will Become the Spark That Will Ignite the Shadows

She took a moment before adding an important edit:

Aurea, Inheritor of the Inferno That Will Become the Spark That Will Ignite the Shadows

Surety = Pride

Realizing that the old warden was moving like a man half his age, Aurea raced out of the tent, intent on catching up to him. Her hope was rekindled.

AA Meeting
By @Toogee and @Effervescent

It didn't seem like Amber understood even after Aurea explained, but she hardly had time to process the words before Plainswalker began his inspection. The dragon's head, larger than her own self, lowered towards her, the air around her sucked into his nostrils in quick, thoughtful inhales. Amber went rigid so close to the toothy maw of such an intimidating creature. The girl next to her seemed unphased by the act, trusting in her bestial companion not to eat her in the end.

She visibly relaxed once the dragon pulled away, finally able to think on more than just the dragon's teeth. "I'm from Falgan Falls," she said, head shaking somewhat in a thought. "I don't think... I think my home is too far from here for you to take me. But thank you for the offer."

"Falgan Falls...never heard of it."

Aurea prided herself with knowing the geography of the Allied Kingdoms. Despite this, she had not heard of a town or country called Falgan Falls.

"Tell me about it. Does it have actual waterfalls or is it one of those towns named after features that aren't there? Like Rosenfall. I don't think I've seen a rose bush or a waterfall."

Aurea caught herself before she ranted on about misnamed towns.

"Er, sorry. Pet peeve of mine"

Amber huffed a laugh at Aurea's thought, nodding her head in agreement at the sentiment. "There is a waterfall in Falgan Falls," she said. "Well, I suppose it could be considered three. It breaks off from a small little river and cascades into a pool not far from town. Festivals are usually held around there if the weather's right. It's very green, very... almost untouched. A little nook of nature next to a growing town. More and more business comes to Falgan Falls because of how close it is to the university."
Aurea reminisced about going to such a faraway place, away from the troubles of her world. Falgan Falls sounded like just the place to go. It even had a school! Oh what she would do to get off the battlefield and back to her studies...

"A school!" Aurea exclaimed. "So you're a student? What are you studying?"

Amber shook her head at the misunderstanding, but huffed a laugh at the enthusiasm. "Oh, I wasn't a student," she said. "My father was a professor of history and my mother was an astronomer. She studied the stars. So we lived in Falgan Falls to be close to the university."

Clearing her throat, her eyes roved to look about at the orcs, unfamiliarity laden in her expression. "Tell me of your home," she said. "With dragons as friends I imagine life was quite fascinating."

"Ah..."

Aurea looked wistfully ahead, eager yet sad to revisit the only home she ever knew.

"My home was a place called the Haven. It was a massive castle with a banquet hall big enough to hold all the wardens in all the world. We had a small town nearby, had everything you could ever want. Travelers would stop by and rest, for nowhere in the Allied Kingdoms was safer than in the shadow of the Haven. It was my school, my refuge, ...my world. Anyone with red hair would reside there. We and our dragons."

Aurea reached her hand out above her head. By cue, Plainwalker's chin met her touch. He elicited a soft coo with the gentle rubbing of his chin.

"Our dragon partners...we're bound to them like destined lovers, except it's not weird I swear. Their strong presence gives our words weight, allowing us to resolve conflict through diplomacy. And if that doesn't work, well...they fight pretty well too."
"Those were good days... "

Tucking a dirty, matted lock behind her ear, Amber once again looked up at Plainswalker as Aurea further explained their history. "I suppose having such an imposing creature at your side would help in diplomacy," she said thoughtfully. "We could have used someone like you in Falgan Falls. Someone to keep the peace, at least. One murder caused a rift so substantial it threw us into a war."

From the dragon, her stark white eyes shifted to look out at the Orcs and humans clad in armor as they set up camp or wait for further instructions. l, repairing their armor and sharpening their blades. Large siege weapons were pulled to a resting place in silhouettes against the fog just as imposing and ominous as she found Plainswalker.

"Perhaps war is not always something we can avoid," she continued. "What are they marching towards?"

"Folhath," Aurea replied. "We're regrouping with the rest of the Thalls and orcs to figure out our next move."

Aurea was saddened to hear that not even a faraway place like Falgan Falls could avoid the perils of war.

"If it were only that simple, having one person to keep the peace. Seems like it takes everyone to keep it but only a few to lose it all. Is that why you left your home? To get away from the war?"

The question triggered a distant thought in the woman, eyes staring out at nothing in the momentary pause. When she pulled herself back to the present, she offered Aurea a small, brief smile. "I suppose you could say that," she finally answered, and placed a gentle hand on the girl's shoulder. "I do need to see about making arrangements to go back home. It was a pleasure meeting you, Aurea. I'm glad you're feeling better."

"Yeah, see you around," Aurea replied, waving Amber goodbye. She was still a mystery to the warden. Falgan Falls must have been far from the Allied Kingdoms: she never heard of any wardens sent there to keep the peace.

Amber's city sounded far more desirable a place to move to than anywhere in the Allied Kingdoms. If there were ever a place Aurea would take the surviving wardens, it would be there. Perhaps they'd have better luck winning a war in Falgan Falls...​

Folhath

Bitter were the days ahead, as cold as the Winter Season that drew closer to its precipice. The fog felt crystalline, solidifying the grey further around the woodland like panes of frosted glass between the trees. The clearing was their only reprieve, and it felt like walking into nothingness beyond the veil.

Dromast looked back at the three, and then to King N'myr solemnly. But the king smiled at the question Coleite had asked Thannel, keeping his thoughts to himself to allow the Vuaturi to express his own interpretation of Spring in Folhath.

"It is," Thannel answered. "The leaves are the richest shade of green I've ever seen. It's a more precious color than any jewel and more potent in hue than any dye could achieve. It's as if the woods were blessed with life. That alone brings reverence and understanding into the holiness of the Woodlands of Valnahar. I could not bring myself to speak lest I miss the whispers of the trees through Spring winds."

"We consider the Woodlands sacred," King N'myr said thoughtfully. "I believe that is part of why Folhath has fallen under attack."

The line of sight through the fog was not forgiving, only offering them a mere twenty or so yards around them of sight. The king confidently led them down a path that opened up to wider natural roads among the trees, silhouettes of their trunks rising and fading into nothingness. They eventually came upon a staircase spiraling up a thick trunk and ascended up into the first tier that bent along its trunk and joined with another.

The room was closed off from the fog, warm with everfire and it's magical orange glow. Throw rugs of animal hides lined the stonework floors with sturdily crafted chairs carved with ancient symbols. Three elves stood about the room in waiting, their gazes turning to the door before bowing as their king entered.

"We've much to discuss," the king said as he approached his leaders. "As you've surely been informed, the Dragon Wardens have come to our aid with insight into what is within the fog."

Dromast looked back at the trio and nodded over to the elves in silent invitation to follow her over. The Sur eyed their guests thoughtfully, the woman speaking out first in their regard.

"It's rare to see Dragon Wardens ready to join a fight," she said. "Even more rare to see a Vuaturi so far from his people. Tell me, why is it you have banded with the Dragon Wardens?"

Thannel was now no longer a visage of his people. The ethereal and aloof air of the Vuaturi was no longer present in the elf as he stood next to Raleia and Coleite almost as if empowered and headstrong. He carried himself like a man prepared for whatever may come, confident and resolute. The cloth that hid his marred eye and the makeshift bandages displayed his experience that piqued the Surs' curiosities as they all turned to gander at him like a rare beast. He took it in stride, brushing their expressions away, for it was to be expected.

"The Dragon Wardens have been an inspiration," he answered simply before pushing forward to business. "As the King has said, we've much to discuss, and we have seen much of what is in the fog, and what foes we may face."

Currently
Your characters are in a room with the king of the Surs and his trusted leaders to brief them of their experiences as well as formulate a plan to save Folhath. I've left the floor open for Raleia and Coleite to provide information of what they've come across. Anything of note such as the orcs and humans coming to their aid, Shadow Wardens, Savere, or anything they've found in the fog would be pertinent. You can have the leaders ask questions if you'd like. They've been left vague for the purposes of being utilized should you choose! Your post doesn't have to be long.

@rissa @Elle Joyner

The Border of Thallas and The Woodlands of Valnahar

Idhrenan felt a shiver course down her spine as she turned away from Waethrin. He'd been so severe, so potent it was almost frightening. Playing the role of calm and collected was still a talent, but one that she felt waning with time from the weathering of their circumstances. Legends of the Inferno did the man no justice, for the fire in his soul could only be fully measured in person as she had witnessed. She was willing to sacrifice it all for a greater good, but he countered it with his own definition.

Eosphelon could feel the concern emanating from the Dragon Warden as she approached and raised her hand. The dragon pushed his nuzzle into her palm and trilled gutterally, urging her to feel more peaceful. But she couldn't shake the feeling Waethrin would do something just as stupid as what she would have done in the UnderElm. His words made it sound like he felt he was less…

Her eyes looked up to the sky for a time, searching the clouds for signs of Ancalagon. Perhaps his dragon could ground the old man's thoughts and bring back a sense of purpose to his life.

"We should hopefully see a messenger soon," Addiver said as he approached Idhrenan. There was a look in his eyes that made her sense his words were more to broach a subject, as if perhaps he knew what Idhrenan was looking for.

"Lisella is dead," she said, more in prompting confirmation rather than in knowing. He nodded shallowly.

"At least, we're assuming," he added. "There's no body. She just sort of… turned into darkness. She took out a portion of the orcs along with you. We haven't come across them. Where did you go?"

"The UnderElm," she replied. "It's the afterlife for magical beings. But… since we were not dead, we weren't there the way it is intended."

"Is that how you met the stranger?" he asked as he nodded towards Amber. Idhrenan spared a glance in her direction only briefly before nodding.

"She's powerful, but I don't get the sense she is malicious," she said.

"She looks lost," he added as he continued to study her, almost in scrutiny. Amber stared almost blankly at the scene before her. Orcs, elves, and humans set up their tents, cooking meals and repairing shoes and armor for the coming march in the morning. Plainswalker stood out like a mountain next to the campsite still carrying a sense of awe and disbelief in her.

"She was lost when we came across her," Idhrenan said. "But she got us out. She… I don't know if I even comprehend how. She was able to connect to us in a way I've never felt, like she was creating a channel through my soul. And then we just appeared out in the field like we had always been there."

"Maybe you were," Addiver said thoughtfully. "Maybe she was able to break some sinister illusion."

"We were there, Addiver," she responded with certainty. "We witnessed the UnderElm. I feel enlightened in a way. I saw the roots of our magical source."

Addiver ran his fingers through his hair and blew out a puff of air at the gravity of her statement. He had no other statement or inquiry in the subject, only disbelief and hesitancy in the validity. In the growing silence between them, now drawing nearer to awkward, Addiver looked away towards Amber once again in thought. There was something to her to some degree, and he made a mental note to speak to her privately at some point for questioning.

To his relief, the messenger Dragon Warden soared through the sky and landed at the campsite giving Addiver an excuse to move on from talks of the afterlife. The dragon and rider were a grizzled pair, marred by the course of Thallas after the sacking of the Haven. He recognized them, even knowing them by name, but with a solemn air of regret.

"Sallen. Yisfel. Glad to see you made it," he said as he walked over to greet them. Despite their past, Sallen smiled slightly and shook his hand.

"I've news to report," she said.

"We've been waiting," he said, turning and beckoning her to follow as he headed back towards the line of tents. Sallen bid the ice dragon adieu, nodding to Idhrenan in silent greeting as she passed to catch up with Addiver.

"Not too long I hope?"

"Nah," Addiver replied as he waved his hand dismissively. "We just got here."

Sallen was led to the main tent where Drau'zul and Prince Asal sat in casual discussion, the two sharing a bottle of U'gul. They both rose from their seats, a sigh escaping the elven prince as they had to shed their conversation for business. Despite being interrupted, they both quickly switched to a focused air, intent on the coming news from Sallen.

"Your majesty, Zul," Sallen greeted with an inclination of her shaven head. "I come with news from the fog. The fog spans miles across the Tri Border thickly filled with the undead and creatures sensitive to light. These creatures are believed to be Tainted Orc."

"I've heard of my people succumbing to the Shadow Taint as beasts," Drau'zul said thoughtfully. "Rumor has it they are transformed into mindless creatures with wings of a bat and claws like scythes and a thirst for blood."

"All those things are true," Sallen confirmed. "Their skin is as hard as stone. Our only defense against them is sunlight. Otherwise they are formidable."

"We will need to mount our attack in daylight," Prince Asal said thoughtfully. "We can use it to our advantage."

"How far is Folhath from here?" Drau'zul asked the prince.

"Another day and a half," he answered. The tent fell quiet as Drau'zul mulled over their plans.

"We march just before dawn," she said. "They need some rest. We'll go as far as we can as fast as we can, but we'll be of no use to your people fatigued."

"The other Dragon Wardens headed to Folhath," Sallen reported. "They can help push back any assault until we arrive."

Currently
A briefing is being held in the large tent further within the encampment. Fog lies to the left and the treeline of the Woodlands to the right when facing the direction of Folhath. The orcs and humans and elves mostly keep to themselves but there are some joining together in comradery.

Your characters are welcome to join the briefing to contribute in planning or to explore the camp. If at the briefing, suggesting tactics or discussing what they are up against is very welcome. If exploring the camp, feel free to utilize NPCs for interactions to acquire food, armor, weapons, or exchange stories.

@Toogee @Red Thunder

[bg=#F5E538]

9fihn9R.png

"There are so few of us left." Raleia started, as she turned to address the others, "I think it goes without saying... those lines drawn among our kind... Among all kinds cannot stand if we hope to make it through this war. And make no mistake, your Majesty... We are at war.

Many of those I traveled with... So many have fallen, but their sacrifice was not in vain. The orcs have joined us to march against the Shadow Army. Addiver Cald commands a regiment as well. It isn't much, but we... We have hope. It is small and frail, but it is there."

Looking to Coley and Thannel, then back to the elves, she frowned, "We encountered creatures in the fog... Tainted orcs. They were difficult to fight, but not invulnerable. Fire and ice, combined seems to weaken the nature of their skin. And Thannel... He has seen Savere."

[bg=#F5E538]@Effervescent, @rissa[/bg][/bg][/bg]

COLEITE
Coleite felt out of place in the warmth of the room. Or perhaps it was uncomfortability in knowing she had far less experience than anyone in the room. She followed Dromast closer to the trio of elves as others spoke, but eventually decided to sink into one of the carved chairs. It felt odd to sit, to recline, and before she let herself enjoy the sensation focused on the matter at hand.

Thannel's comment took her off guard and she gazed at him softly, frowning in thought, especially when Raleia continued the dialogue. Coley couldn't help but flinch at her guilt, but nodded nonetheless when she spoke of their combined magic.

"It could be that any combined magic works to better subdue them… But I'm not sure I'd risk it either. They also make this--this blood curdling scream. I was in the fog alone with Briseis but we didn't see anything, not until we heard that scream. They also have wings."

She punctuated the end of her statement as if she still couldn't believe it.

This One Time in Orc Camp, Part II by Toogee and @Red Thunder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aurea couldn't stop looking at it.

The bright sheen of the blade shone in the sunlight. To anyone else, it didn't look any different than any other sword. There weren't even any elaborate details: it had the look of a tool with its plain flat blade. The handle had a simple leather binding around it. It had the look of a novice blacksmith's first blade. Yet this one was special. Aurea made this blade under the watchful eye of the Inferno. She had all the singe marks on her clothes to prove she shaped the metal herself (with help).

Currently, Aurea was helping out the orcish blacksmith Gad'Zooks. They had taken a break so Aurea could show off the blade she had made. The orc held the edge close to his expert eye, looking for any obvious weaknesses. Finally, he took several swings through the air before giving the sword back to the warden.

"Tis a good sword, fairy warrior," Zooks responded, nodding in approval. "If this warden thing doesn't work out, I would take you as my apprentice."

"Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with the 'warden thing' a little while longer." Aurea replied with a smile, putting her sword away. She continued to help Zooks put surplus swords into a nearby cart in preparation for the upcoming battle.

"Just as well. A sword from a master warden, worth much more. I know a couple of chieftains back home that would love a sword from the legendary Inferno. You think you could get him to make a couple for me?" One couldn't blame the blacksmith for making a few gold. That old man could be dead within days, which would only double the value of any swords he made. Zooks rubbed his chin, contemplating the price such a sword could go for.

"Zooks..." Aurea shook her head, seeing the blacksmith scheming.

"Fine fine. I will settle for something from his skilled protege. When you get better and are looking to make coin, you remember Uncle Zooks!"

"Oh really? Since when have you been my Uncle?"

"Since you started making swords under a legendary warrior!"

~~~

"The space I require isn't so large as that."

The orc grimaced and spat to the side.

"The space isn't the issue. A sparring ring? Pah; we've neither the time, the supplies, nor the spare troops to build such a luxury."

Waethrin couldn't decide if the aide-de-camp was giving him the run around or not. His expression turned icy, a frightening sight.

"It's a matter of safety; I can't have a novice sparring in an open space. Besides, tradition states-"

"Shove your tradition. Got you far with the Thalls, didn't it?"

The old man's eye flashed, and the snow about his feet began to melt against the heat suddenly emanating from his form. But he held his tongue, choosing instead to turn away in a huff and stomp off back toward the smithy. Zooks had at least shown some deference toward him and his inclinations, and Waethrin had no qualms with leaving his newly christened apprentice with the orc while he'd gone to prepare some form of training ground.

They would apparently have to do with that. Waethrin brushed aside the smithy tent flap with irritation.

"Girl! Come, and bring your steel. It is time to see whether it breaks."

With a small glance and nod to the blacksmith, Waethrin disappeared outside again to await Aurea. He stood some fifty feet from the tent, arms crossed and staring out into the plain as he looked for an ideal location.

While Gad'Zooks was tallying up how much a sword that crossed the Inferno would be worth, Aurea was nervous. From the sounds of it, Waethrin had invited her to a duel. She knew the stories of the Inferno's legendary fighting prowess. His swordplay was just as fierce as his fire magic. But that was a long time ago. A really, really, really long time ago. The only time she recalled seeing Waethrin in battle was on top of his dragon. Her memories of the Underrealm were cloudy at best, so there wasn't much to go off of from that adventure.

Though still a novice, Aurea was worried that she would somehow hurt Waethrin. If anyone else his age fell over, they'd never get back up. What would the wardens do if their most important figure shattered a hip just before a major battle?

These were the thoughts going through the girl's head as she left the tent. A duel ring was already set up. A few orcs were gathered around, taking a break to watch the coming spectacle. Just what she needed: witnesses.

"Are you sure we should be doing this so soon before a battle?" Aurea asked Waethrin. Her doubts and concerns seeped out of her speech. She really didn't want this to be the end of the Inferno's legacy.

Had the orc been stringing him along? Teasing the old man, riling him up while knowing full well that a sparring ring was indeed already available for use? Waethrin grimaced, upper lip tightening around his nose in building anger. He'd half- more than half a mind to go back and torch the son of a bi-

The girl's inquiry, concern-laden, tickled his ear. The old man snorted impatiently.

"It's because we are so soon to battle that we are doing this. You are green. Untested. Like a shield bright with the shine of new wax upon a perfect face. And judging by the way you hold your sword, utterly unfamiliar with it." He turned to her, tone losing its edge. "But do not fear. This shall not be an actual contest, but rather an evaluation. You and I both must know where it is you stand in the way of martial skill.

"Come."

Paying little attention to the badly hidden asides and comments the small orcish audience made, Waethrin made his way into the ring, grunting loudly as he bent under the rail. He pointed to a spot some ten feet in front of him.

"Stand there, and present your blade."

Like a shield bright with the shine of new wax upon a perfect face.

Aurea was really appreciative of Waethrin's comments about her complexion, though that probably wasn't his intent. The comparison with weaponry implied that her face wouldn't be so perfect for very long. She would have fangriled harder if that weren't the case. Just as she dreaded hurting him, she also didn't want to look like she lost a battle before even entering one.

Nodding, Aurea climbed over the fence and took the sword in both hands. It was held in such a way that the blade was directly above her head. Her upper arms framed her face, her elbows slightly bent from the weight of the weapon. She was prepared to strike down like a spring-loaded trap.

Her legs were arranged just like when she practiced with a bow: her left was in front of the right. The front of her body was facing away from her opponent. While this worked with a bow, Aurea found it incredibly uncomfortable keeping the position. The heaviness of the blade made it difficult to keep it above her head. Her arms began to shake a bit as she shifted around to find a good fighting stance.

"Sword's are heavier than I thought," Aurea commented, shifting her feet to see if a mirrored posture would be better.

"They are, when you hold them badly."

Canted. Blade held horizontal to the ground. Feet better placed for an archer than a swordsman. In older times, Waethrin might have smiled at the attempt. It was actually a fair one; though inappropriate for melee combat, it showed that Aurea was capable of hard training, of retaining what she learned, and of returning to it on a moment's notice. The problem, of course, was that she'd have to unlearn the bowman's stance first. He drew his sword.

"Not like that. Face your opponent. Feet just beyond your shoulders' width. Right foot a full length behind the left. Bend the knees a touch. Pull your shoulders back. Straighten up. Now, lean forward, as if preparing to take a blow. Place your arms- so. Open the elbows out."

As he instructed, the old man demonstrated. With each step, he moved, pausing for Aurea to follow along in kind before proceeding.

"Were this better times, the effort would be given for refinement. But time dwindles rapidly, and other things are more important."

His eye stared hard at her sword, and he nodded.

"Strike me."

Upon Waethrin's command, Aurea winced. She had done her best to mimic his stance. She faced Waethrin, spread her feet, left foot forward, stood straight, and all the other instructions. She was a mirror image of him, albeit a smaller, more girly image. Though it wasn't perfect, the older warden skipped to the striking portion of the lesson. The girl really wished she could have practiced more. If there was ever a time that she accidently hurt Waethrin, this would have been the time. Now came the point where she would have to apply her skills. The orcs watching were now paying full attention to see what she would do.

With ten feet in between them, Aurea made the short sprint to cover the distance. She struggled a bit keeping her feet right as she moved and eventually didn't worry about it until she got close. Once she came in striking distance of Waethrin, her moves became slow and deliberate. She put her feet back in position and brought her sword down in a diagonal slash. However, great care was taken to not so much as brush against the old man, lest he fall over like a house of cards. The slash was in slow motion, the strike was stopped just next to Waethrin's arm.

Aurea looked expectedly at Waethrin, wondering if her form was correct.

As she approached, Waethrin hadn't moved. He remained immovable, utterly stoic, and his eye followed her movements analytically. There was passion in her approach, and power, and he felt his heart begin to swell.

It crashed down with the full weight of utter disappointment. The blow may as well have been delivered from another individual entirely than had sprinted toward him. So when her blade came to a stop beside his arm, he batted it aside with a backhanded blow.

"I said, 'Strike me!'"

The volume of his voice was matched only by the suddenness of his own attack. While not truly quick, it was nevertheless unexpected in its speed from such a withered individual, and the air whistled. From outside the ring, the orcish blacksmith gave a cry of anger and nearly vaulted the barrier; Gad'Zooks was certain the girl's arm would very shortly be in the mud.

The sword never reached her, instead halting at plate mail's width from her shoulder. The old man withdrew his sword and stepped back, eye lidded and dangerous.

"I am old; I am not incapable."

Aurea was taken by surprise by the speed Waethrin still had. She winced as the sword came directly for her. This was her punishment for underestimating a warden of the old era. More orcs gathered around the ring; suddenly this practice match was getting interesting. They were reading to see the brutality of limbs flying all over the place.

Fortunately, Aurea would not become the next Feria.

Without a word, the young warden walked back to her starting position ten feet away. She was much too embarrassed to even apologize. Aurea took a few breaths to refocus on the match and tightened her grip upon her sword. Once more, she charged towards Waethrin, but this time she didn't hold back. The momentum from her charge turned into a leap as her sword attempted to slash Waethrin as she passed him by.

"Kya!" Aurea gave her battlecry as she tested her might against Waethrin's steel.

His black blade met her new edge with a sharp crash. Waethrin's sword shifted, turning the attack to the side as eased his weight in the opposite direction. As Aurea landed, feet kicking up sod, his arm retracted, coiling like a snake, before racing forward in a spearing stab toward her side.

He would not relent in this training and evaluation; he could not. For the girl's sake. Increasingly it seemed to the old veteran that she had seen little of the fury of battle, and he had to know her limits. And her strengths. He had to know how far she would press into herself and into her enemies. He had to know she could survive when push came to shove.

Most importantly, she had to know. And though Waethrin wouldn't risk actually gutting her, if Aurea didn't feel like he was about to, she would never know just what she might or might not be capable of. So he pushed and pushed, seeking her fighting spirit.

Aurea was pretty sure Waethrin was trying to kill her.

Was she too forceful in her opening strike? It felt like whatever she did only intensified the fight. As swords traded blow, Aurea didn't quite stick the landing. She landed on her side as the elder was stabbing towards her side. The young warden rolled away in an attempt to get away. Of course, she was nearly covered in mud.

Mud was the natural element of an earth warden.

Aurea needed time to regain her stance against an advancing Waethrin. In an arena covered in mud, she turned to her own magic. Raising an unarmed hand, Aurea used her magic to have the ground beneath Waethrin to take hold of his feet by his ankles. It wasn't a grand battle strategy. It was a reflex honed during the mock battle sessions she had done back in the Haven.

Any time gained from the maneuver was used to get back on her feet and get into her stance.

"I instructed you to strike me, not muddy me!"

He glowered at her as Aurea scrambled to her feet, covered in mud herself. Yet he glowered to keep from cracking a smile. She could adapt; good. Better yet, she used the time she'd gained well, falling into a stance not quite what he'd shown her and yet more efficient than that which she'd first adopted.

That swell of pride returned. Not that she needed to know yet.

"So, you wish to include magic in this education? Very well." Bending at the waist, Waethrin placed a finger on the ground between his entrapped feet. Spreading from the central point, furious heat raced through the mud, vaporizing the water within it. The sudden transition from liquid to gas caused the water to expand rapidly, and the mud, now little more than dust from the lack of water and ignition of any binding components, was thrown into the air in a minor explosion. Grunting, he pulled free his feet.

"Come," he said, sneering. "Your lesson continues, now in defense."

Sword raised vertically beside him, he attacked once again.

Waethrin's fire turned mud into dirt, removing some of the advantage that Aurea had in the battle. The orcs in the battle had mixed feelings about the use of magic. Some thought the girl cheated. Others saw this as the way of the Wardens: they mix magic and swords to overwhelm their enemies. None took their eyes off the battle.

Aurea felt the glower of the elder, as though she committed some faux pas in using her magic. Yet, to not use every tool in battle was foolish, or so she was taught. She was not yet adept in swordplay, but she could make up for it in her earth magic. She didn't have the Inferno's raw power, nor did she need it. A slight shift in the ground could be the difference of a strong defense or an opening from a weak stance.

Seeing Waethrin's vertical strike, Aurea hardened her defense. She raised her sword above her head to meet the Inferno's. She used the momentum to strafe to Waethrin's left. She pointed her sword to the ground beneath Waethrin's feet. In such a short amount of time, she was only able to make the ground a bit uneven. It was a bit difficult given that the mud was more firm.

She followed up her magic with a horizontal strike coming from her left, hoping she was quick enough to follow up.

He stumbled.

He stumbled.

Damn his old legs. It wasn't much, but it broke his attention from the girl oh so briefly, and Aurea made good use of the distraction. Waethrin took two steps that he didn't intend even as the girl coiled and struck. Her mettle was met with his, even as their swords clashed as he brought his up in guard. The corner of his eye creased more deeply than they stood at idle, wrinkled from the upturn of his mouth.

"Enough," came the gravelled command, and withdrawing, he sheathed his black blade. "You adapt. Good. You use unexpected, some might say 'underhanded', techniques. This is also good. War is dirty and ugly and serves only one purpose: winning. Those who champion 'honor' in a battle can't feed they'd children with it, and will not earn their children the spoils of war."

From the lines, dark murmurs began filtering through the crowd; the Orcs clearly saw that such was a jab at them. But Waethrin gestured for Aurea to follow and began striding toward temporary bathhouse.

"Come; we must wash this mud away. You show promise, but there is more to training than a fight."

At Waethrin's command to cease, Aurea breathed a sigh of relief. She wasn't sure how long she could have kept up. There was some since of pride in having tripped up the mighty Inferno. That pride quickly diminished when he called her tactics "underhanded". The looks of some in the crowd seemed to agree: her fighting lacked honor. Waethrin felt it was good in war, but Aurea certainly didn't feel great. By using her magic, was she no better than a rogue or thief?

As these thoughts rolled through her head, she followed along to get herself cleaned up. Just as she thought they were done, Waethrin spoke of there being more than just fighting.

"There's more..." she said to herself in exasperation.