THE GREAT BBCODE CRY THREAD - Aka It's Broke, Is It Fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
A very important thing for all coders to remembers is that all code eventually becomes incompatible or out of date. BBCode is no exception. On Iwaku we have a lot of custom BBCodes because we love you and want you to have nice shiny things for your roleplays. Some are addon modifications, others are hand coded by the surly Owl Mother. Any time we run a software update on the forums, there is a chance that bbcodes will become incompatible. This is completely unavoidable. We all have to deal with it.

I know a few people are cranky and inconvenienced - so am I! ;_; I have to learn how to recode a lot of our bbcodes from scratch so they can be made available to you in a format that is as close to the original as possible and won't break your coding. You don't just type the bbcode in to the control panel. You have to convert HTML, CSS and sometimes even PHP and Javascript in to a context the forum can process. Some of them I don't have the skill to do myself, so if there is not an updated modification for it, we don't get to use that bbcode anymore.

Your patience is VERY appreciated as we try to get things on track! :D

BBCODES WE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH

These are the bbcodes I know we're missing or having issues with. If I miss anything, please post in this thread with what BBCODE is missing or broken. I'll tell you if I can find it, fix it, an alternative, or if we're just boned.

BIMG
This is now IMGR. It should(??) work the same.

ACCORDIAN
This is an advanced bbcode modification. I can't recode this one myself. Consider this one dead. :(

STABS
Also dead. It's an advanced addon that is no longer available. I can't recode this one myself.

FIELDSET & COLORED FIELDBOX
This is one of my customs, but the new bbcode system works differently and I am style learning how to use it. These will come back when I can figure it out.

SLIDERS
This is another advanced bbcode, I am not yet sure if I can replace it.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ELSE IS BROKEN PLS POST

Last edited:
Is there currently a way to float images using IMGR? Not finding it if there is, and that's a large part of what I used BIMG for.

I think sliders are broken as well? At least on mobile they seem to be. The sliders on my test thread no longer change to the next slide when clicked.

imga seems to not be working for me at the moment - it displays a link error when img gives a correct image for the same link.

Reactions: GuanYue
div boxes only display if there's other text wrapped inside, which makes using them to display lone images for aesthetic purposes difficult. I've been told that you can either use transparent text or separate the style specifics to separate lines to make it work, but that can complicate some things more than they need to be. I'll still do it, but I figured it'd still be worth mentioning. (at this rate I kinda wish I could just style with the html and CSS myself since I know how, but I'm pretty sure that's not possible on the forums right?)

Is there currently a way to float images using IMGR? Not finding it if there is, and that's a large part of what I used BIMG for.
You can use IMGA! This code is made specifically for image floating.

I think sliders are broken as well?
Yes T_T Not sure if I can fix that one yet, and it is now added to the list.

imga seems to not be working for me at the moment - it displays a link error when img gives a correct image for the same link.
imga should now be working properly!

div boxes only display if there's other text wrapped inside, which makes using them to display lone images for aesthetic purposes difficult.
Give it a test now and see if it works like it used to and let me know!

• Thank You
Reactions: RJS
minor things:
  • [GLOW] used to be able to be used without specifying a colour, which I believe made it match the default of whichever style you're on—so black or white text. Now you have to type something like [GLOW=white] which would look weird on light themes.
  • [TABLE]'s coding has changed, and one thing I haven't been able to replicate in the new version is background colours for cells. This can be achieved by using [DIV]s instead, so whatevs.
  • [IMG] doesn't work within [ISPOILER] tags, the replacement for [SPOILI].
  • I can't find a way to view [TOOLTIP]'s hover-text on mobile.
I don't think these need to be fixed, just figured it might be good to be aware of them.

I've noticed how Spoili were affected, at least in a roleplay I'm in.
Anything that is under a Spoili:
Merely fades to black without decreasing the space on a page. (Before it actually decreased the space of each space too, allowing for a quicker flow across a page)
Any code used within a Spoili appears to not work, as if it treats the Spoili like a code cancel.

Thought it might be good to mention this.

Reactions: Astroblaze
Asta said it should go here, so reposting it here to make sure it doesn't get missed out on!

BBcodes/images seem to be broken on profile posts:

tAKQYDS.png
(rip. Seems image broke again? That also happens at random sometimes. OTL)

Also, while using div codes like Italics, bold don't work within the div-elements. It is possible to work around it with the use of another div-element and font-weight properties, but it is rather random as underline does work properly within the elements while coding.

I also forgot to mention the Google fonts. They work on some pages and then default to Times New Roman in others. It is odd.

Asta said it should go here, so reposting it here to make sure it doesn't get missed out on!

BBcodes/images seem to be broken on profile posts:

tAKQYDS.png
(rip. Seems image broke again? That also happens at random sometimes. OTL)

Also, while using div codes like Italics, bold don't work within the div-elements. It is possible to work around it with the use of another div-element and font-weight properties, but it is rather random as underline does work properly within the elements while coding.

I also forgot to mention the Google fonts. They work on some pages and then default to Times New Roman in others. It is odd.
The thing about Google Fonts I can actually answer. We think it's a caching issue, but server-side; it's Iwaku's cache that is being wonky. We're looking into a fix for this.

• Thank You
Reactions: Nemopedia
You can use IMGA! This code is made specifically for image floating.
I can't use them both on the same image, sadly.

minor things:
  • [GLOW] used to be able to be used without specifying a colour, which I believe made it match the default of whichever style you're on—so black or white text. Now you have to type something like [GLOW=white] which would look weird on light themes.
  • [TABLE]'s coding has changed, and one thing I haven't been able to replicate in the new version is background colours for cells. This can be achieved by using [DIV]s instead, so whatevs.
  • [IMG] doesn't work within [ISPOILER] tags, the replacement for [SPOILI].
  • I can't find a way to view [TOOLTIP]'s hover-text on mobile.
I don't think these need to be fixed, just figured it might be good to be aware of them.
I'm not sure about most of these but I think that spoili had more broad "compact hiding" functionality and ispoiler is literally just inline as far as I can tell, working only for text. On the bright side, spoiler has become a lot more compact than it used to be?

I tried using IMGR to resize my signature and noticed something was off with it, ended up having to switch back to Rich Text to resize it adequately.
But I still wanted to test the code out and see what was wrong with it, turns out it won't resize any sizes above 200px...

See more about it in this TESTING POST I made. For a comparison, the one currently in my signature is restricted to a width of 465px.
I don't think I'm using it wrong since I copied exactly what was in the BBCode Help page...

Last edited:
The HR code for line-breaks ONLY appears in white, so on light themes it is nearly invisible.

Dashed is now dash. Can an alias be created to link the two?

div boxes only display if there's other text wrapped inside, which makes using them to display lone images for aesthetic purposes difficult.
Give it a test now and see if it works like it used to and let me know!
It works perfectly now! Thank you! Now I just have a question: what's the best thing to use with the new system to substitute the broken accordion tag?

CRYING

the LIST code doesn't work within the TAB code. It breaks the TAB code completely, making the contents of the tabs unavailable (even the stuff that is NOT within the list codes).

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Mollisol
CRYING

the LIST code doesn't work within the TAB code. It breaks the TAB code completely, making the contents of the tabs unavailable (even the stuff that is NOT within the list codes).
did you make sure to double check your post for missing end codes? typically if content is missing on a coding standpoint it's because one of the codes didn't get ended properly which causes the code from then on to malfunction

CRYING

did you make sure to double check your post for missing end codes? typically if content is missing on a coding standpoint it's because one of the codes didn't get ended properly which causes the code from then on to malfunction
yep :P

• fdgjsndfgjknfg

• dfjgdnslk
    • sdfjgndklfg
      • dfjgdsfg
      • argaerg
        • dfgdf

I hate this 8D I tried earlier this morning just like that and it wasn't working. GREMLINS >:[

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Loveless
CRYING

yep :P

• fdgjsndfgjknfg

• dfjgdnslk
    • sdfjgndklfg
      • dfjgdsfg
      • argaerg
        • dfgdf

I hate this 8D I tried earlier this morning just like that and it wasn't working. GREMLINS >:[
then yeah, you probably missed an end tag somewhere. List tags are pretty easy to lose track of those with (not to mention tables) so I don't blame you for struggling ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.