If he was honest with himself, Sylvan was quietly enjoying the interaction between the two opposing creatures. He loved Brennan, despite the vampire's shortfalls, and he was clearly attracted to Marcus. The two boys were complete antitheses, yet they were both clearly to Sylvan's liking - and their fight was something the drider was secretly enjoying.

Admitting that wasn't going to go down well, of course, so he had to follow Rene's lead and vocalise some dissatisfaction, however little he truly felt that.

"Can you both stop? Sit down, Brennan. You shouldn't be alone," he smiled as he beckoned the other to the table, only to turn to smile reassuringly to the werewolf. "Ignore him, alright? He's doing it on purpose to get a rise out of you. Kill him with kindness."

Or I could just really kill him!” Marcus suggested loudly, his hands raised in anger before folding his arms, grimacing bitterly. “Are you seriously going to just let him act as if I’m garbage?! I don’t think you’d appreciate it if I put you down, would you, Sylvan? Fuck this - I’m going to my dorm. I don’t want to breathe the same fucking air as this guy.”

Watching Marcus go off, Rene was left to awkwardly sit beside his own boyfriend, his eyes darting between Marcus and Brennan. He was always a fan of drama... when it didn’t involve him. Literally sitting in between Marcus and Brennan, he nervously licked eyes on the book.

"Well, he certainly has a temper, doesn't he? Honestly, I don't think it's wise for you to entertain his company if you want to maintain your reputation, Rene. I know you care a lot about that. Having that boy in your group isn't going to do you any good," the vampire remarked calmly, tapping his nails against the table as he watched Sylvan hurry after the werewolf, his eyes rolling to himself at how predictable it was.

"You two are cute, though-- as cute as a monster-human couple can be, of course," he smiled, deliberately dropping the 'h' word to analyse Percy's reaction, which immediately made him realise his hunch was correct. Percy's wide eyes and open mouth spoke volumes, after all. "I knew it. God, you're actually a human? Like, ew. "

Rene had grabbed Percy’s hand to hold once sitting back down, though immediately let go the moment he saw Percy’s reaction, his own eyes wide in horror. Getting to his feet, the monster’s cheeks grew dark purple in a cocktail of anger, hurt and fear.

“Percival... please tell me that isn’t true,” he pleaded, his eyes beginning to well with tears. “Please tell me you aren’t human. You - I thought you were being honest to me? This...” He stammered, his English slipping as his tail went between his legs. After growing silent in fear of babbling out none sense, he took his own leave, bolting from the library, going as far as to use all four limbs for speed - it’s what he would do for gymnastics and was one of the reasons he was the champion gymnast.

Causing Marcus and Sylvan to argue was the natural aim, but breaking Rene and Percy up (which is what he assumed would happen) was an added bonus for Brennan, who sat back with a satisfied smirk at his swift dismantling of the friendship group. Inevitably, his guilt kicked in. He cared about Rene, so seeing him as angry and hurt as he was didn't sit well - though he was hardly the real villain here. Someone who pretended to be human and had constantly lied was.

It took longer than anticipated to find Rene (luckily before Percy had), though the sentences he had planned to say disappeared when seeing how distraught he was. Any desire to gloat eventually disappeared too, leaving the vampire looking genuinely upset for him.

"...Are you gonna tell your Dad about this? 'Cause, as much as I hate Percy, your Dad would murder him. Like, literally."

Buried under his many, hand-knit blankets given to him through his mother and his face pressed into his pillow, one would have to be deaf not to hear his sobs, even through the door. He had been told the stories of how horrible humans were to their kind, how they had killed his adopted family and, although it was grim, might have killed his real family as well. While Rene knew he fell easily for others, it didn’t mean the truth of his boyfriend being human didn’t hurt any less.

“Leave me alone, Brennan,” he replied, his voice muffled by the pillow. “I... I don’t know what to do. I don’t want anything to happen to Percy b-but I cant let him hurt us.”

"What's a human going to do, Rene? He could tell his father, I suppose... that would be a disaster," he admitted, deciding that being tactful and saying what Rene wanted to hear really wasn't useful. Besides, it was hardly Brennan's style to be gentle with what he said. If he felt something, he would say it.

"...Do you want me to break his laptop and his phone so he can't contact his Dad? I don't mind doing that. It'll buy us time-- and hey, it's the least the dickhead deserves, Rene."

"I just want to know why he would lie so much to me?" He whimpered. "I love him, Brennan. I know I shouldn't, we haven't been together for very long, but... I love him. What am I supposed to do? We can't keep him here forever a-and, if he leaves and tells his family, we'd be found out and could be killed." He reminded. "Humans killed my great, great grandparents a-and... and I don't want to die. I'm not like my parents, I can't fight a human. Were any of my feelings cooperated? Was it all a lie? I feel like a moron. Я dolzhen byl znat' luchshe."

Eventually turning his head to take in Brennan, he made no attempt to get out of the bed. "I don't want to hurt him. He... isn't mean."

"He lied to you; to everyone. And for what? To expose us? We're in hiding for a reason. We shouldn't be so soft on him, Rene. Being soft and tentative is what got our ancestors killed. It's what my sister did; she was sympathetic and tried to be understanding when she came across a human, and what did she get for it? A fucking stake through the heart. We don't... we shouldn't try to understand it just because he's your boyfriend. He's a liar and an impostor," he declared sternly, his expression matching. He wasn't deliberately adopting a stern stance just because of his personal dislike for Percy. He was adopting it because he knew it was the best way to act.

He wasn't storming to Rene's father to gleefully relay the information because he wasn't that much of an asshole. He was willing to let Rene make the decision first - but not if it was to go easy and soft on the human. A mixture of understanding and sternness seemed the best way to handle the weird situation.

"...It's up to you, yeah? I just think we should be strict, that's all. I'm not gonna tell anyone, promise. I'm... I do like you, Rene. I don't... want to hurt you more than I already have, so I'll keep quiet about this and you can decide what happens next."

“Thank you, Brennan,” he replied, offering a hint of a smile for emphasis. “See, this is the side you need to show everyone. I think you can be a jerk but... but you’re better than you pretend to be,” he whispered before deciding to bury his face back into the pillow.

“He’ll show up soon, you should hide in the closet if you don’t want to leave. I want to talk to him,” he murmured through the pillow.

"I spent a good few months getting the guts to actually come out the closet and now you want me to jump back in one? Honestly, Rene. You're so rude," he snorted under his breath, obediently heading to the closet to get inside and use the time to get comfortable. There was no chance he was going to head out and miss what would go down between the two. It would satisfy his craving for drama and allow him to be close if Percy did get violent. He hardly seemed the type, but humans didn't have the best reputation for monsters, after all.

It didn't take long for Percival to finally make his arrival, awkwardly entering the room and shutting the door behind himself. For a long few seconds, he fiddled with his hands to try and find the words to say, only to fall silent every time his mouth opened to say something.

"...I... I guess you won't believe me if I said I didn't want to cause anyone harm, would you? I... I'm not a bad person, Rene. I didn't want to come here, I just-- I haven't said anything to my father, he's really mad at me for going quiet on him but I... couldn't say anything."

“What if you’re lying? How do I know you aren’t lying?” He countered quickly, sitting up the moment he saw Percy. “How do I know you haven’t been lying this whole time? Were you lying about your feelings with me? I... I think it would be ridiculous for you to think I wouldn’t be pissed. You... Your kind killed my family a-and you think I’ll just think, “oh, Percy not only lied to me but also is a human, that’s totally fine!?” I... I’m disgusted, to be honest,” Rene ranted, his cheeks stained in tears as he paced in his room.

“If you had no intentions of hurting me, why did you come here? To have a pleasant chat? Don’t be dumb,” he growled, his eyes locked on the floor. “I shouldn’t even be letting you speak. I should be calling my father to throw you off the side of the mountain, back to your lying piece of shit father.”

"My father made me come here, I didn't have a choice-- I couldn't say no. He... He's always been obsessed with getting proof about... monsters, so he caught wind of this place and sent me here and-- and I don't have to tell him! I can lie, I... I can say it's a normal school. He doesn't even know where this place is. He had his assistant sort it all out. He shoved me on the plane and... that was that," he frowned, awkwardly taking a seat at the edge of the bed. He wasn't going to start claiming he was a victim worthy of sympathy, but he certainly didn't think he was the real person to blame. His father was but, in his absence, Percy knew he was going to get the brunt of the anger, especially when he had forged a relationship with Rene under false pretences.

"I-I'm sorry, Rene-- I didn't lie about liking you, or about anything else, really. Just... that I wasn't human," he grimaced, his expression falling further. "I-I can just go, yeah? I can call up my father, get a flight sorted and... and leave tomorrow morning, nobody has to know."

“I can’t let you go, Percival. If I let you go, what’s stopping you from talking to your father about us? What’s stopping him from thinking you coming home isn’t suspicious?” He quickly countered, his cheeks reddened. What his heart wanted and what his head knew what to do were conflicting clearly as Rene continued his pacing, biting his nails as he stared down at the floor.

“You aren’t leaving, no. It’s... in the best interest of my kind to keep you here. If my father was me, he would have crushed you by now but I care about you too much s-so... so you’re staying here until I say you can leave, got it?”

"...I don't mind staying, Rene. I-I like it here, I really do! I... my father's just getting worried about me, that's all. I was telling the truth when I said I haven't talked to him. He wanted me to pass on evidence of the existence of monsters, and I... I was going to do that at first, until I met you and... and realised that this place wasn't bad. I-- you won't forgive me, I get that, but... I'm not a bad person, Rene--"

"Oh, bullshit," snapped Brennan, unable to really sit back in the closet and listen to the human ramble on about how he was the victim of his father's insane ideas. He refused to accept that Percy was the victim in all this, and he completely refused to let Rene believe any of it. "...God, are you listening to him, Rene? He's a snivelling human piece of shit."

"Both of you, shut up!" He hissed in response as his pacing only became more aggressive. "I want to believe you, Percival, b-but... but how am I supposed to know you're being honest? You could be saying all of these sweet words to make me let down my guard, have you send off to w-wherever you're from and tell your father of what you've seen. Everything our ancestors have built up to this point, all for naught because I let a cute human leave," he reviewed to himself, his lips pursed.

"I don't... know. I don't know, okay? I don't know what to do. I want to trust you, I really do, but I just.. can't. You'll have to prove that you'll keep quiet, more than just telling me that you will."