The vitriol wasn't really something Percy had expected, or anticipated. His father hadn't shown great disgust for any of the creatures he was certain existed (even if Percy was aware that he only saw them as vehicles for amassing more wealth). He didn't really understand how much humans were disliked, especially when he genuinely hadn't even known of monsters' existence until a week ago - and even now, he didn't hate them passionately. He was understandably cautious and overwhelmed, but hatred? He couldn't find it in himself to hate them purely based on an appearance, because that was ridiculous. He would hate someone if they hurt him, human or otherwise.

Forcing a smile quickly to cover up the initial shock, he returned to scribbling in his notepad, finding it always helped to doodle like that to help keep himself calm. "I... no. This is the first time I really got out of Scotland. My father and mother own homes in Spain and we have one in Iceland too, but... I haven't gone with them since I was a child, so... this is new for me too. I... I'm sure you could travel after school."

“No, no. I’m not a ‘pretty’ creature, like you. As long as you stay dry, you can casually waltz into a village and be fine. If I so much as be seen for even a second, they’ll have my head served on a platter to be gawked at by humans. You’re privileged, in that way. I would kill to be able to stroll out into a cute shop and buy some pastries...” he whined, his eyes closing at the simple dream. Of course, he was brought back when the horned teacher smacked his desk with a ruler, forcing him back to reality. With a growing frown, Renee reluctantly began to set up his notes.

“A boy can dream, right?” He whispered. “I mean, in all honesty, my parents prefer the cold. Their fur makes it hard to live in warmer places and I imagine it would be hilarious to see them without their fur.”

"...I think you're pretty. I guess you can't walk about down the street in a human-populated area, but... it doesn't mean you aren't a pretty creature, I... I think you're cool. You're the first person who talked to me like this-- everyone else is so loud and I can't interact with people like that," he murmured, that being the last thing he was willing to say now class had officially started. His father had pulled him from his normal school before he even had a chance to graduate, telling him that he could simply start working at the family business instead - but he still wanted an education. He was here for a few months, and he intended to use it wisely.

Although, by the time the lesson did roll to an end, he had gathered his things and wandered out before anyone else. He had surprisingly enjoyed his conversation with Rene, despite the fact he had done a lot of talking - it usually annoyed him if he had to answer questions about himself, especially when he was pretending to be someone he wasn't. It was precisely that that made him hurry out - answering more questions about some fake life and background was too much for one day.

"He hurried out quick, didn't he? Something you said? You can be bitchy without realising it, Rene~" Cooed Sylvan happily, hanging around at the back until everyone else had left, just so he didn't hold anyone up. "I'm free now, and I know your schedule, so I know you're free-- I won't hang out if all you're going to do his moan about that human, though. That's so boring."

“Oh, shut up,” he scolded, his cheeks still red after the compliments from the hour before. Adjusting his sweater, he tugged on his book bag before motioning the other to follow him. Pressing his lips tightly together, he offered a huff before walking down the hall.

“Fine, I won’t say a word... if you do my maths,” He bartered, a brow raising curiously as he pressed his books to his chest. “I could just babble on about how much it’s freaking me out~! I know you’re better than me.”

Reactions: potassiumboron
"You want me to do your homework? I'm not your servant, Rene. I don't like doing my own homework, let alone yours. But god, if it stops you moaning about how that guy is taking your attention, fine, I'll do some algebra," he groaned, tiredly accepting defeat as he caved in and nodded along - it was better than having to deal with him going on and on about a boy Sylvan barely even knew and hardly cared about, anyway.

"I could be with my boyfriend right now, but I'd rather be with you, so sure, I'll do homework if it means we can talk about something fun. Like... Angela Robinson's dorky haircut or how cute Luca got over the break. He was such a dweeb before it," he began to babble, trailing alongside his friend and smiling easily at the looks and unsubtle whispers they received. He'd be lying if he said he didn't like attention, so he ought to be just as invested as Rene was in taking it back away from Percy. He just couldn't be bothered investing his time in some boring 'merman'. "Or who my boyfriend is. I've dropped hints about him all day yesterday and you still haven't asked me who he is. The fact one of us has a boyfriend is pretty major, don't you think?"

“Don’t remind me,” He huffed. “How have I gone so long without holding a proper boyfriend? Girlfriend? I’m cute... right? I’m a cute guy, I deserve someone cute too, right?” He whispered, his brief facade of confidence fading by his frown. He was able to hide it by turning the corner to his own personal room, that of which he had been living in for the last few years of his life, as was evident by the fact that it was already personalized with little knick-knacks and Polaroid pictures he took of his family together during the summer, despite its still winter weather. The two were leaning down to fit in the picture, their towering 7’5”+ heights towering over their adopted son easily.

On his dresser sat an electric kettle and some candles. Immediately lighting the candles, he eased back and started up the kettle with a pout. “Okay, who is it? Who is your boyfriend? Your hints are awful, Sy.”

tumblr_p4f4krQcEo1trz2o9o3_1280.png

His own smile immediately faltered once his friend took interest in the conversation. That was the plan, because he did want to show off the fact his years of flirting had finally paid off with someone, but he only realised how scared he was to admit who he was with when Rene asked him. Rene's opinions did mean a lot to him... and he already knew he had a less than friendly opinion of the teenager Sylvan had started to date.

"Before you get mad, I really like him. Since he's come back to school after summer, he's really... I think he's gotten super cute and, sure, he's still an ass, but I... I think he's funny. You need to get to know him and then he's much more nice to be around," he babbled, perching himself on the faux fur rug in the room, just to have something comfortable to sit on. His room back home was full of soft furnishings, his whole floor practically covered with soft rugs and pillows for him to sit down and be comfortable whatever spot that was in.

"I... Brennan came up to me last week for help with maths homework and then I saw he... he got a tattoo done, and I like that, you know I do. Then I saw he was much taller and, god, he's got dimples. I never realised he had dimples before-- and his cheekbones are to die for, Rene! He's not a little twerp, he's... he's pretty gorgeous," he gushed, biting his lip to himself with a growing blush spreading over his perfectly-made face. "...You only hate him because he isn't interested in popularity and stuff. It's kinda brave of him to, like, shun that, I think..."

Getting ready to set pillows down for his friend, he paused upon hearing Brennan come out of the other's lips. His curious face turned sour almost immediately, pulling into a grimace. Instead of carefully setting the pillow, he tossed it onto floor carelessly before deciding to sit on his bed. After a moment of silence, his grimace turned to sudden laughter.

"Are... Are you fucking kidding me?! Oh my god, Sy! That - I'm so upset," he admitted despite his laughing. " 'He isn't interested in popularity'? That's bullshit, Sy! He's just trying to be cool because he thinks it'll make him popular, and it clearly did if one of the cutest guys in this school has fallen for him... it's kind of like this new guy, huh?"

"He doesn't care about popularity! He'd be, like, forcing himself into our circle if he wanted that, right? And he's always kept away from us since we started school here, so... so he doesn't care. I like that about him. He does his own thing and... and he isn't like that merman. He's weird and he... you said we weren't going to talk about him," he pointed out irritably, even if that anger could only last a second more when his brain finally recognised the compliment he had been given. He always thought of himself as cute, and he especially appreciated those words when they had come from Brennan's lips, but Rene saying so meant a lot. He trusted his insight on things, so if he said he was cute, then he had to be.

"Just... I like him and I get he's always been an asshole to us both and our friends, but he's changed a lot. He said his Dad, like, put him on this strict schedule and he only had animal blood to drink all through summer, 'cos that apparently should help him-- I dunno the details. All I know is that he's nice to me and he's cool and... I'd rather pursue a guy like that, than some strange, weird newbie who barely says a word."

"First of all, Sylvan, I do not have some strange attraction to the merman," he corrected quickly, his laughing coming to an immediate stop at the mere suggestion. "He's far from my type, and so is Brennan from you. Sure, the vampire isn't ugly but his manners and personality are proper shite. If I were you, I'd hunt after that cute centaur in AP Physics. He is krasivaya - beautiful. He hasn't asked me out yet, but I'm hoping he will..." he murmured, scoffing.

"You're completely certain he likes you? Like you said, he's an asshole to us. Why in the world would he like you, and since when did you like him? You literally just said he was mean, so what about him is so great? His appearance? That's it?" He grumbled bitterly before laying back on his bed and stretching out his arms tiredly .

"I think he's kinda cool and-- and I'm not going to go and dump him. We've already kissed. Just once, but he said that he'd wanted to kiss me for a few months or something. Does it really matter that he used to be a dick? I think... everyone can change, right? And it does make sense that he was mean to me. Boys can be like that. He liked me, didn't know how to handle it, so was mean," he declared easily as he stretched his own legs out, grimacing at the faint cracking sound from his limbs.

"...It doesn't matter anyway. I like him. He said I could visit his castle when it's Winter break. If he didn't like me, he wouldn't do that, so... whatever. I regret telling you now, you're just going to be an ass about it."

“I’m not being an ass, I’m being a good friend by worrying about your stupid decision, “ he replied simply, his eyes rolling. “How do you know he won’t take you to his castle and just suck your blood? Vampires are manipulative like that, yeah? Look, I’ve seen the people you’ve dated and they were just like Brennan, all tough and edgy. How have every single one of those ended? With you sobbing on my floor babbling in German. If you wanna take what I say as being an ass then so be it but I’m just being honest.”

With a scoff, he closed his eyes and let his tail leisurely sway. Slowly pulling his lip into a frown, he eventually sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“How have I not gotten a cute guy yet?” He questioned. “Is it because I’m not cute enough? I thought I was super cute! I’m funny, too, a-and smart...”

And almost instantly, Sylvan grew silent and began fiddling with the thread on his jacket. He was very aware that all his ex-boyfriends had been similar: all tough and a little different, and he was also aware that every single relationship he had had during the school years had ended with him crying to Rene about it. But he did have a feeling that the current relationship would be different, even if that wasn't exactly going to convince his best friend that things would work out.

"...You're the cutest guy in the school, everyone says so. You're still the most popular, too. Our other friends are just caught up int he whole 'new guy' buzz. It'll end and... you'll find a boyfriend this year, I bet. Or a girlfriend, whatever takes your fancy. Just be patient. I get boyfriends easily, but look how successful I am. Being patient will work out for you," he attempted weakly, moving to rest his arms on the bed and, once finding a comfortable position smiled up at his friend from the floor. "That centaur guy's cute, right? I know you have a thing for them, and I could set him up with you if you wanted. I talk to him a lot, so it's always an option if you really did want to, like, date someone soon."

“That would be nice,” he admitted as he switched positions to carefully rest his head on Sylvan’s hand, fully expecting to be pet without asking. Whenever he was stressed, a simple pet made him feel immediately better and, on some occasions, put him right to sleep and the drider had some pretty magical fingers.

Their proximity often turned off other relationships since they were so close. The minute he met Sylvan, he was immediately taken in by his appearance. He had a thing for larger creatures, hence why he has a thing for centaurs, and he had already had a pretty heated and passionate night with a drider before. Initially seeking out Sylvan for a relationship, he soon found that he simply enjoyed the company, not needing anything romantic from the boy. Sylvan was the most stable thing in his life, after all, and the only person he’d openly cry to. Literally purring at the soft massage to his scalp, Rene’s tail swayed.

“Look, you’ll be so busy with this new vampire that you won’t even talk to me. I’ll be so bummed... I know how you get, you get all lovestruck just by looking at a cute guy,” he murmured through his purrs.

"That's dumb. I've been with guys before and we've still remained close. I get it, I'm a sucker for a cute guy, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go abandon you, Rene," he tutted beneath his breath whilst easily offering his friend the affection he both expected and deserved. Sylvan was perfectly happy to lavish him with a pet or two like this, given everything Rene did for him in return. Not everybody was as accepting of larger creatures as Rene was. Some people in the school (including some teachers) saw them as problems, given the amount of patience needed to accommodate them in classrooms and the like. The fact Rene didn't judge had always been one of the many reasons Sylvan liked him so much.

"...Brennan's cute, and we are dating, but I'm not going to turn my back on you. He'll have to get used to the fact we're this close, that's all. I'm sure he will, if he likes me as much as he says he does," he hummed, his smile growing more on his lips. "Besides, I don't know why you're jealous. You've had sex, and I haven't ever gotten to that point. I should be jealous of you, if anything."

“Sex isn’t love, Sy,” he reminded quietly as his arms stretched out wearily. Peaking a black eye open, he took in the other’s form with his own lazy smile before letting out a yawn. “I guess this is bad to admit but... but I don’t think anyone has ever loved me, y’know? Like, I’m cute but not cute to hold down a steady relationship. Maybe I don’t want you to be with Brennan because he’ll treat you properly while I get no one, I guess...” he grumbled admittedly, huffing.

“It doesn’t matter. If you abandon me for some cute guy, I... I’ll be sad, sure, but I’ll be angry, too. More angry than anything, in fact. I will personally have Brennan kicked out of this school if I have to because I’m not losing you, yeah?” He declared by lightly slamming his hand on the bed, though his body was still very much relaxed.

"Well, that's a mature response, isn't it?" He quickly teased, if only to try and lighten up the heavy atmosphere a little. He didn't regret telling his friend about his new relationship, or about how excited he was by it. If he didn't tell him now, it would have just led to trouble when Rene eventually found out, so informing him now wasn't a bad option. That didn't mean he liked how he reacted, though, because he had no doubt that every word from his mouth was the gospel truth - and he really didn't want to lose the relationship he'd managed to start up. He did have a good feeling about this one, so losing it before it really started wasn't ideal.

"Brennan's nice, I promise. Just... a-anyway, let's leave that. It's making you all stressed and I don't like having to think about Brennan being sent away," he continued, pulling his hands away with a decidedly annoyed frown. "...Besides, you've been ignoring me a lot since that merman joined. You skip breakfast to be with him rather than me, so you... you're a bit hypocritical, Rene."

“Oh, god forbid I miss one breakfast,” he scoffed, lifting his head with a frown. “I’m not all goggly eyes over him like you, huh? I’m just annoyed at this guy is being a big hotshot, especially since there is nothing special about him. Doesn’t that grate you? I just - I know it’s stupid for me to be annoyed but I just am, okay?”

Before the other could move, he tugged Sylvan’s Hans back lightly with a pout, his wide eyes watering a tad. Seeing his friend annoyed with him bothered him to no end.

“I’m sorry, really.”

If there was one thing everyone knew about Sylvan, it was how notoriously stubborn he could be. He still hadn't forgiven a girl in their class for drinking from his water bottle accidentally when they were first years, having been freaked out by the potential germs he'd unknowingly digested. The fact he'd gotten sick not long after hadn't helped matters, and he'd refused to speak to the girl ever since, often going as far as to glare at her if she tried to approach. However, the likelihood of him holding a grudge when it came to Rene was slim, even if he'd badmouthed his boyfriend and the possibility of their relationship going the distance.

Eventually, his stubborn frown melted away, replaced with a small smile despite how annoyed he had been just seconds ago. With a faint sigh, he rested back down on the corner of the bed, stretching out his arms tiredly.

"I mean, that guy is weird, right? He's average and so anti-social, yet he has our friends trailing after him? I dunno. Perhaps it's because he lives around humans, that is sort of interesting. Trust me, it'll wear off, Rene. Stop focusing so much on the brat. He's a merman. None of them ever stay popular, they're utterly boring in personality and appearance."

Reactions: saturnia pavonia
“Why would they care about humans anyway? They’re monsters,” he hissed, his casual and stretched out position immediately stiffening at the mere thought. “They’re so ignorant a-and... and they’re so toxic. Vse lyudi dolzhny umeret,” he grumbled in disgust before taking a deep breath and flopping back. While Rene would often make a fuss, it was usually just him being over dramatic. The one and only thing that truly enraged him was humans, especially because of the tales his grandfather spoke of humans killing their kind. While he wasn’t a ghoul himself, he cared for his grandparents greatly.

“What’s so different about humans, anyway? They’re boring monsters with no originality. All they want to do is check their ‘phones’ all day and just... look gross. One time, my grandmother took me pretty close to the humans one day and they all looked disgusting.”