After everything Brennan had done to him, Sylvan had every right to scoff at the attack and turn his back on him. However, he couldn't help but feel sorry for the vampire when seeing him sit up with a nosebleed, which eventually left Sylvan carefully leaning down to hand him a napkin. He didn't do so with a smile, deciding Brennan didn't deserve that much, and as soon as he made the considerate gesture, he quickly turned his back and headed off into the warmth of the academy.

"...He's an asshole but you didn't need to hurt him that badly. He holds grudges, he won't let you get away with that and I don't want your first few days here to be spoilt by that brat, Marcus," he carefully whispered after a few seconds had passed by, stopping to examine the werewolf carefully. "...He did deserve it, though, I suppose. I would have hit him for you but I don't have that much upper body strength, so... look, don't pay him anymore attention. He was trying to get under your skin, it's what he does-- let's go to my room and warm up. I have a little kitchen area there, I can make us hot chocolate?"

“Yeah, well, he should know that I hold grudges too. I’m not going to let some puny little shit stain like him put me down. If he wants to start shit, I’m not going to do that whole ‘be the bigger person’ bullshit. He deserves to get his head smashed in,” he snarled before having to take a deep breath to relax his fury.

“... yeah, okay. Some hot cocoa sounds nice. I can’t have too much but... anything warm would be nice,” he admitted before offering a nervous smile. “Look, I’m not a violent person. I’m... nice, I promise. Hey, speaking of which, I can make a nifty stew. I’ll make it for you some day, if you want.”

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: potassiumboron
"He wasn't always like this. He used to be this really geeky kid that I used to coo over and think was adorable, actually. I think he got like this to impress Rene, I don't know. It obviously hasn't worked, Rene always whines about him," he shrugged, growing quiet again at the mention of the two. It made their kiss all the more confusing to him. Both of them whined about one another, and yet Brennan was confessing his love and Rene had returned the kiss? It hardly made any sense, but the more he thought about it, the angrier he became, and he didn't need that weighing on his mind.

"I know you're nice, silly. If I thought you were a violent thug, I wouldn't be by your side offering you cocoa now, would I? I like you a lot, you're sweet," he declared happily, a small smile growing on his lips the moment he opened the door to his dorm. He, like most creatures of his size, had a big room because he naturally required it, but his mother's fame in their community and his family's close friendship with Rene's allowed him a room that was only bettered by Rene's. The interior aligned perfectly with Sylvan's personality; it was loud and dramatic and glitzy; everything he adored and wasn't going to apologise for. He knew his taste wasn't everyone else's; that the pink decor and array of glittery items would be too much for most people, but he liked it and that wasn't going to change.

"You can hate this, I don't mind. Even Rene thinks it's a little flashy," he snorted, moving to the small kitchen area to flip the kettle on. "I think it's fabulous, obviously. I'd love a room like this back home but I share with, like, three of my brothers and they're too 'macho' for this sort of aesthetic, it's so annoying, you know?"

“I mean, I don’t hate it. Like, it takes a lot to have me hate something, Sylvan. Some makeup or a flashy room ain’t gonna trigger that, yeah? Jeez, calm down,” he teased lightly as he took in the whole large room.

“See, I’m not about that. I live in a very Spartan-esque home, you know?” He explained with a small smile before taking a seat on the edge of the sink. “I need my essentials and that’s it, really. The only thing I can’t live without is probably my laptop.”

"I'm not one to judge, obviously-- but I couldn't live like that. I need all the fancy stuff; all the gadgets and whatnot. I'm bored out of my brain otherwise-- we're pretty different, aren't we? I think that's cute. I like meeting people who are different from me," he assured, leaning back against the wall as the kettle boiled, tapping his nails against the marble counter slowly. Most of the boyfriends he had had were very different to him, Brennan being a clear example of that, and none had worked out. He had contemplated finding someone who was more in tune with him; who had more in common in terms of lifestyle and taste... but that would mean ignoring the clear crush he had on Marcus, and he didn't want to do that.

"I'd love to visit Scotland one day, see where you're from. Granted, I'm not sure how that'd work, I'm not exactly subtle-- but we'll see. Maybe humans will find out about us and there'll be some equality, that'd be neat. I could go sunbathing on a beach somewhere without anyone freaking out," he snorted, adding the usual extras to the cocoa before handing one full mug across to the other. "...Tomorrow, I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends in classes and stuff, you're really nice, Marcus. You can sit with me at lunch, if you like? Meet some of my friends, they'll probably like you lots."

“There are plenty of pretty secluded hills and mountains that are super beautiful, you could always go there. That being said, there’s the ocean you would have to cross... no offense - and maybe I’m wrong - but you don’t seem like someone who would swim very well. Maybe your mother has a boat, or a plane? I don’t know,” He babbled with a small smile as he stared at the mug, taking a hearty swig.

“Yeah? I dunno. If your friends are like Rene, they probably won’t like me,” he reminded as he ran his free hand through his shaggy hair, laughing at just how messy he was in comparison. “I mean, I’ve never been one to have a lot of friends.”

"Rene isn't my friend-- our mutual friends can stick with him, I assume they will because of who he is. That means I get to hang out with some of my other friends who aren't as... focused on popularity. I have plenty of friends in different circles, Marcus. We can sit with people who will give you a chance, hm?" He reassured, waving off the worry easily. He had earlier declared his fear that Marcus wouldn't make friends, but he wasn't as worried about that now. He knew that others would be as welcoming as he was, particularly some of the other werewolves he was friends with. If anyone was going to understand Marcus, it was them, right?

"Besides, you'll always have me as a friend, so that's something. Rene can sit with Percy and they can have their large gathering of people eager to be near them, but I'm perfectly happy just sitting with you. I'm not into popularity as much as people think I am."

“Well, can you blame them for assuming? You hang out with popular people, like a popular person,” he reminded before deciding to shimmy out of his coat. Taking another sip of the cocoa to thing before talking again. He had always been bad at talking prior so thinking about what he wanted to say was ideal.

“Listen, I can’t help you with the friends you pick, Sylvan. I just can say that I like your companionship,” he admitted with a smile before letting out a yawn. “God, it got late fast, huh?”

Sylvan didn't have anything bad to say about being labelled popular; that didn't mean he was a bad person, and he knew he wasn't. He never once bullied people (though he did have his admittedly bitchy moments where he would gossip ruthlessly about them) so even if people thought he belonged to a single 'group', he knew himself that he mingled pretty well amongst everyone. His immediate acceptance of Marcus, when many others would judge him, was evidence of that.

It was why he had absolutely no issue walking straight into the hall for breakfast the next morning beside him, ushering him to take a seat at a table that he chose for its distance from Rene's. He had no doubt that people would be gossiping about why they were seated away from one another, but he could easily ignore that.

Percy, meanwhile, couldn't. He was completely unaware of what had happened, being blissfully ignorant of the fact his new boyfriend ha kissed someone else, whether it was a meaningful kiss or, in this instance, one that meant very little. Quietly watching Sylvan pass did make him frown curiously (though most of that was because of his dislike for Marcus), he slowly turned his gaze to Rene questioningly.

"Did you guys argue?" He asked gently, setting his spoon down beside his bowl of cereal. "...It's not about me, is it? I know he doesn't like me but... I wouldn't want him to stop hanging out with you, he's your best friend. I can deal with him hating me."

“Yes we had a fight, no it was not about you,” Rene replied quietly as he took a sip of coffee. While Rene tried his best to come off as someone cool who didn’t let emotions get to him, it was clear just how much the whole thing upset him by how quiet he had been up to that point. Shooting a glance towards Sylvan, he nervously adjusted himself in the seat with a growing frown that he hid with his drink.

“I don’t want to talk about it. If Sylvan wants to go and have a tantrum even though I apologized, more power to him. He’ll... realize that this is all stupid and be friends with me again,” he whispered to himself before letting out a heavy sigh and moving to eat his muffin. “Lets stop talking about Sylvan. I’m more curious about that scruffy guy. You knew him?” He confirmed, his Russian accent firm as he offered raised brows.

Now it was Percy's turn to shift awkwardly, which he tried to cover - but ultimately not very well. With his own glance towards Sylvan's table, an inevitable grimace formed at the sight of Marcus, which he was in no mood to try to cover with a smile.

"We've known each other since we were kids. We were at the same primary school, went onto high school together. We're... not friends. We move in different circles, have different friends. I didn't know he was... a werewolf, though. I don't want to talk about him that much, we really don't get on," he sighed, resting his head on his hand. "He thinks I'm a jerk, I think he's loud and rude. There's not much more to say. If he's friends with Sylvan, it makes sense. They can both insult me together."

“ ‘Other circles’? What circle were you in, then?” He questioned curiously. After all, for all he knew Percy could have completely changed his identity over night like Brennan did. Percy could actually be a giant loser putting on an act, of perhaps someone in trouble with the law somehow and is keeping it quiet.

“You should tell me more about your old school. Obviously it’s different than here, probably not as nice. I want to hear about it all. Oh, describe the humans! I’ve only ever met people who are pretending to look human, like you or Marcus, and I can’t imagine how boring the humans look,” he teased as his tail swayed absently.

"He was friends with all the other 'outcasts'; the guys who didn't fit in because they chose not to. I, on the other hand, didn't have friends because everyone thought I was weird and I didn't get on with anyone. They annoyed me, it wasn't a good school. Everything was breaking, the walls were falling down half the time, the students were unruly... Humans aren't all bad but the ones I went to school with were horrendous," he spoke truthfully, having to calm himself down a little the moment he realised how angry he was getting at recalling his old school days. He had hated it there, that wasn't at all a lie. Every day was hellish for him, having to go to a school full of people he didn't like. He was sure they hated him too, which made the experience twice as bad.

"...Marcus doesn't like me, but that's fine. I'm used to that. He's... not a bad guy, really. He's rough and a little rude sometimes, but I'm sure he has his good points. I'm not so bad that I can't see the good in people-- you should too. Humans aren't as bad as some monsters paint them out to be. You should judge someone once you know them," he admitted, desperate to get that in now so Rene could think about it. Inevitably, he would find out one day that Percy had been lying, and he wanted the other to at least recognise that he was a good person... despite the lies he had been telling. "...What class do you have up first? You're my only friend so I'm at a loss without you in my class."

“Psychology,” he replied quietly, seemingly mulling over the idea of treating humans with more sympathy. Instead of announcing that Percival was right, he instead grimaced before aggressively stabbing his eggs with a fork.

“Maybe it’s because you’re a merman and you can blend in better with everyone but you don’t realize how... how bad humans are, Percy,” he murmured with pursed lips, somewhat struggling to be articulate with what he wanted to say in English. He was far from an English speaker, after all, and only really started to learn English when he attended the academy. “Do you think I could walk down to the city right now? They... would tie me up and send me somewhere, or maybe shoot me on the spot. Humans - there might be one or two who would be understanding but that isn’t enough. One or two outliers would not stop the majority from wanting to get rid of us. We may be more powerful than them physically but they both have more numbers and better weaponry. My mama has shown me guns, showed me what weapons humans have after killing a few trying to infiltrate our home. They’re scary.”

"They're not all scary," he weakly replied, beginning to fiddle with the strap of his watch. It wasn't possible for him to grow any more awkward than he was at the moment, grimacing at the table in front of him. He was human after all, so hearing his boyfriend (someone he had grown to care about incredibly quickly) offer his opinion on his species didn't fill him with hope that he would one day accept him. If he had been open from the start, about why he was there and what his father was planning to do, maybe he could have won his trust and something between them would have developed. He would have shown he was a good human with morals, who didn't want innocent monsters suffering.

Instead, he lied and wasn't doing his species any favours whatsoever.

"I... I dunno, can we not talk about this? I don't know what you want me to say. I... I just know that, from my experience, not all humans are jerks, but... I've had it easy because I can hide in plain sight, s-so..."

“We don’t have to talk about it, no,” he agreed before deciding to let a hand sneak to hold Percy’s, an apologetic smile on his lips. “I’m sorry, it is just... a very stressful for my family and the millions of others like our kind. I don’t want to bum you out, Percival. I cate about you very much, you do not need to stress over something so silly.”

In an attempt to solidify the apology, he leaned up and offered a kiss on the merman’s cheek, his own growing rosy. “You know, I talk a lot about my parents but you don’t speak of yours often. I would love you to show-“ he paused, his pupils growing wide like a cat finding a new toy. “Oh, what am I saying?! I completely forgot, my papa is coming tonight for a meeting! My mama is staying home to watch for my ded so... oh, that would be lovely~!” He purred, jittery in his seat with excitement.

"Your... papa is coming here for a meeting? I... that sounds great, sure," he smiled as convincingly as he could, even though, in reality, he felt like he was suddenly stuck in a nightmare. He'd seen plenty of grand portraits of Rene's parents around the place and, naturally, they terrified him. It became scarier when he became paranoid that Rene's father would somehow realise he wasn't a merman but a regular human, which would be disastrous. He knew he was overthinking things and becoming too concerned, but he couldn't stop the sudden fear he was hit with.

"...I, uh... yeah, I'm down for that. I'd never want you meeting my Dad though, he... isn't a very nice guy. He's strict, you know?" He shrugged, poking at his cereal with the spoon absently, having lost his desire to eat in those few seconds.

“Oh, relax!” He insisted, sending the other’s tense muscles. “He’s very scary, yes, but papa is very nice - like, ah.... what do you call it? Teddy bear! He as long as you are respectful, you will be fine,” he reassured, his toothy smile exposing his fangs as his tail swayed behind him.

“My papa, he’s much different from yours, I imagine. Perhaps if you do ever have your papa over, you can make a trade deal. He has been mentioning how there isn’t much of a connection with the merfolk, though it’s because your kind is very secluded. You are one of the only mermen who attend our school, they prefer to do their own thing, like Sylvan’s family,” he explained. “Ah, and perhaps you can come and stay over winter break once you meet him! That is, if you’re up to it.”

"Of course I'm up for it, why would I turn that down? I... I'm sure it'll be fun," he promised. He had no intention of actually staying over during the break, but he knew it was better to promise him now and break that later on. At least, it was better to do that now and give himself time to make up an excuse, rather than come up with one on the spot and make himself look like he was very obviously lying.

"I'm not nervous, it's just... a big thing, isn't it? Meeting the boyfriend's parents and all of that, it's... a big occasion and we haven't dated that long. I want to make a good impression, so... so maybe I am a little nervous," he shrugged, turning his eyes away from Rene awkwardly. "...How many people are on the board? I assume you'l be on it one day, huh? That's cool."

“Five. My parents, Sylvan’s mother, Valerie’s father, Abbigal’s sister and Roberto’s parents,” he explained, looking up to Count with a hum. “We’re in contact with North America though their representative hasn’t officially joined, yeah? I believe that’s what they are discussing, in fact. Ah... yes, I am to take over a spot in the committee along with my family’s business at some point but my family lives for a very long time so there’s no garuntee I will even outlive them, but the idea is fun!” He insisted, his cheeks rosy.