The Princess and the Toad

He blinked, then blushed slightly and looked away. "I'm game. Same time next week, or...?"

They did have their usual schedule they'd told each other, or so he assumed. A weekly lunch date would be nice. Get him out of the usual routine and add something pleasant. "And doesn't have to be here, but... we can figure it out by text if we want to go somewhere else."

A glance at the wall clock, and he huffed slightly. Yeah, it was getting late for lunch. Damn.

"Same time would be perfect, I'll let you pick for that one," Barbara said with a grin. Standing up, she started to shuffle through her wallet for her half of the lunch. After all, she couldn't assume that Aldric would pay for everything. This lunch was only just the first date. More than anything she didn't want to be the one making Aldric think she was in it just for a free meal.

"Anyway, You have my info, so I'll leave it up to you to send me to info for our next date."

He blinked as she started digging through her purse, then gave a brief and singular laugh. "Don't worry about the bill," he said, "You can pay next time if you want to. Watching someone spend time digging around for money bugs me a little."

He flashed a smile.

"Hell if I know why." He gave a little cackle and waved over the lone waiter.

He handed over a couple crisp bills. "Anything left is your tip," he said with a nod, "Thanks."

"Sir, you're supposed to pay at the counter," the young man answered.

"Can't see over the counter," he huffed quietly.

The young man blinked, then reddened. "Ah... right. Sorry. I'll ring you up."

"Thanks."

Barbara was a bit surprised when he told her to put away her own money. After all, this was just a first date. She hadn't even expected him to pick up the full tab. Thankfully, he was more than willing to let her pay for next time, which implied that she wasn't the only won wanting a second date. Grinning a bit, she set her wallet back in her purse and watched as he paid, noting just how nervous the poor waiter was at this point.

Thankfully, the young man was more than willing to go about things the way the older man needed them. As she stood beside the table, she grinned a bit as the young waiter walked off. Before Aldric could even stand, Barbara leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. "I'll see you next week, Aldric."

What that Barb headed out the door, waving happily at the man as she hurried back to her work.

(( I'm awful ToT I'm so sorry this has taken so long! ))

Aldric blinked his one eye, then reddened, visibly stunned by that little kiss. He managed a small, uncertain wave before she left, and the waiter returned with someone else.

"Sir, are you bullying my waiter?"

Aldric blinked, snapping out of it, then looked up, glaring, only to grin as he recognized the manager. "Hey!"

"You're in a good mood, creep," the manager took a seat. "It's not the usual meeting day. Find some luck elsewhere?"

Aldric snickered. "We'll see. Met her at the gym."

The manager couldn't restrain a grimace, and Aldric snickered. "Imagined it, huh?"

The manager reddened and cleared his throat, which brought more cackling laughter from the twisted little man.

The next date couldn't come fast enough!

Next week couldn't come fast enough for Barbara, which was rather surprising considering that she had more so accepted these dates on a whim. Sure, she had been honestly curious to have a date with Aldric and get to know him, but never before had she actually gotten eager to see a person for a second date. This man as proving to be far more influencing than she originally believed he would me.

Fiddling with her phone, she had been hovering around it waiting for a text from the man that involved their date info. They had been lightly chatting, which she enjoyed, but it didn't have the same effect as talking in person. She liked the way his face shifted when he was thinking, or how his face would scrunch up a he tried to smile. Something about it made her just want to smile with him.