Commander Eriana Kiryn
Most of the reactions were pretty much what she had expected. Axilya was loyal to the chain of command, Ryan was relaxed and cheerful as always, Falles responded with cold logic and indifference, and Tamsyn thankfully seemed largely indifferent and annoyed that this had been brought up now rather than furious.

Some, however, she hadn't been so sure about. Vultog she hadn't been sure of because of his own personal experience with blood magic, making his support that much more comforting, and she had had no clue how Morna and Verus would react. Those two in particular were hard to read, even at the best of times. So, when Morna spat at her feet, it was incredibly difficult to keep from flinching back. Somehow, she managed, and she locked eyes with Morna as she spoke, listening in silence. Hearing her best friend called a monster so coldly raised all sorts of combative thoughts in her, but she kept them down, if only just, by remaining silent. As such, she watched Morna go without a word, and she was only pulled away by the words of the other Hellhounds.

Verus was following Morna. From the glimpse she had caught of his face, he looked concerned, and she hoped that he was following her to try and confront her, rather than the alternative. Cress stood next to her without a word, and she was grateful for that. She nodded gratefully to the ones standing by her, then to Gamnuri and Ryan as well. Ivalize and Kou remained silent for the moment, and she glanced at them briefly, trying to get a read on them, before looking back at the others.

"Thank you all." She spoke quietly, looking around at them. "Falles, while I understand the need for silence, I think there are probably better ways to go about that than 'disposing' of them, as you say. But we can deal with that later. For now, I wanted to make sure it was understood that nobody touches the General while we're still dealing with the monster threat, and I think that's been made clear, for the most part." She glanced the direction Morna had gone again, then sighed before tugging her sword out of the ground and sheathing it. "Join the others. I need to go make sure the General has found the Lady of the Harbor and make sure some shelters are set up for these people."

As she turned to go, she heard distant hoofbeats, and she glanced up to see Prongs, still a distance away. He was charging towards the plaza with surprising speed, with Taria and Jakob immediately visible on his back. She paused, frowning. They weren't supposed to return without Artemis, so where was...

She caught sight of a limp form draped over Prongs' back, in between Taria and Jakob. She froze a moment, eyes wide, before breaking into a run. She didn't look to see if the other Hellhounds followed, though she suspected some might. Soon enough, she reached Prongs, and he came to a halt. Up close, she could see the exhaustion and panic on Taria and Jakob's faces, along with bruises on Jakob she'd have to tend to later. What really caught her attention, however, was Ari. She lay unconscious, her arms a terrifying grey color. Her hands, it must have spread...

"Oh no," she whispered. She moved quickly to pull Artemis off of Prongs and lower her to the ground. "What happened?" she asked the other two, not looking at them as she knelt next to Artemis. Before they could answer, she raised her hands, muttering incantations, and rested them lightly on one of Artemis' arms.

Nothing. Her magic did nothing, and, terror creeping through her, she tried again, her voice raising as she continued to chant incantations. She pushed everything she could muster into her magic, not caring about anything else in that moment.

Cold. Everything was cold. She froze in place, eyes wide as she saw the black creeping further. She couldn't move, couldn't do anything to stop it. Everything else seemed distant, faded, as she watched that darkness spread, growing faster and faster by the moment. As it crept up to Ari's face, her eyes opened, and Eriana could see that her eyes were gone, replaced by darkness. She barely even noticed her hands couldn't feel Ari's arm any more.

As those dark eyes turned her way, she could see something there. Not Ari--she couldn't see any trace of her friend, other than that this thing vaguely kept her features. No, it was something else, something far more terrifying and ancient. A smile slowly appeared on the creature's face, and a primal terror took her. She longed to get away, away from whatever monstrosity her friend had become, but she still couldn't move.

Suddenly, it was gone. Ari still laid there, unconscious, and the darkness hadn't spread in the slightest. Eriana found she could move again, and her cheeks were wet. She jerked one hand away, raising it to her cheek, feeling the dampness. It had been a vision, one only she saw. All the other Hellhounds would have seen her frozen in place, with a look of horror on her face and tears running down her cheeks.

Is...is that going to happen to her? No, I can't let that...no... She closed her eyes, struggling to keep from breaking down in front of the other Hellhounds.

You can stop it.

She opened her eyes, startled by the thought. It felt so sure, somehow.

You can save her. You have time.

"How??", she whispered, not expecting an answer. Nevertheless, an answer popped into her mind.

Baemar. The capital, Arvena. An ancient gift lies there, one you have forgotten. It can save her, and it will give you power in the battle to come, power you will sorely need. Go, while you still have time.

The thought faded, and she blinked, looking down at Artemis. She had no idea how she had known that, and some part of her felt that there was something greater at work here. But that didn't matter right now. If there was a chance, however slight, to save Artemis, she would pursue it. And if that chance meant another way to stop the monsters? Even more reason to go after that.

She stood, surprised to discover she was shaking, and took a breath to steady herself. She looked around at the Hellhounds around her, and gestured sharply at whoever was closest.

"Gather the others. Now." She waited for the others to assemble, and once the Rose Company was gathered in front of her once again, she spoke, voice still slightly shaking, though it steadied quickly.

"We're leaving. These people need help, but we've done all we reasonably can, and we have a new mission. We'll ride back to Fort Siane and send a message to the queen requesting aid, and she'll take care of the rest. From there, we ride to Arvena. I have reason to believe that there is something there that we can use as a powerful weapon against the monsters, and, potentially, stop whatever is happening to the General." She looked down at Ari, then sighed softly and looked up again. "Time is of the essence, so when we reach the fort, take only what you need. Go find your horses, and gather your belongings. We move in ten minutes." She bent down and slipped her arms under the princess' unconscious form, lifting her up with care, and turned away, going to find her horse.

As she passed Gamnuri, she hesitated a moment before turning to face him. "Gamnuri, may I have a word?" She spoke softly and looked troubled, and she studied his face closely as she waited for an answer. If anybody knew anything about the thoughts that had somehow sprung into her head, Gamnuri probably did, with his interest in religion. She hadn't given much consideration to the idea of a higher power before today, but after what she had seen and heard, she figured she should try to learn what she could.

Cinzel Decorative; Trade Winds;

Morna Vaile

Morna was one of the last to respond to the calls to regroup, and when she arrived to see the blood mage laid out she hoped for a moment that the woman was dead and all the conflict would be solved like that. But alas, she still breathed, and Commander Kiryn spoke of a method to save her. Morna might have refused to join in any such mission, but a few words kept her from saying anything against it: a powerful weapon against the monsters. In truth, that was what the blood mage would hopefully be as well, assuming the apparent corruption in her arms did not indicate that she was too far gone to be of any use to their cause, so Morna would go along with the mission. She would also keep a wary eye on the blood mage, of course, to be ready to respond swiftly to any sign that she needed to be disposed of immediately.

Without saying a word to any of her fellow Hellhounds, Morna took off to find her horse and start making her way back to the fort. She already had everything she needed for a short notice mission, so she would use the return to Fort Siane to tend her current horse and switch it out for a new one. Important mission or no, there was no point in hurting a horse when it could be avoided. Her horse was easily found, grouped up with some of the others the Rose Company had ridden in on and grazing on the nearby grass. Morna mounted up and took off toward Fort Siane alone, going at a steady pace rather than trying to stay ahead of the rest when they moved out together. She felt no need to flee or to rush toward anything, she simply needed to stay in motion with a goal in mind to keep herself focused, because that was the only way she could keep her mind off of the self-recriminating thoughts about her emotional outburst that were just waiting in the wings for their chance to truly strike.

Gamnuri Balgron

The Commander was the first the spot Artemis and start running that way, but Gamnuri was hot on her heels. The sickly grey color along the arms was definitely a bad sign, but Eriana's evident inability to heal her and the horror on her face as she sat frozen in the attempt was far worse. When she called for the Rose Company to be gathered, he bounded off with the aid of his air magic to find as many as he could and tell them to hurry back. As he made his own way back, he quietly murmured a prayer to the gods, to see the princess through this affliction and back into good health.

He received an answer of sorts from an unlikely place: the Commander whose healing had proved unable to touch whatever was affecting Artemis. It seemed she had had some kind of epiphany, and he wracked his brain for everything he knew about Arvena to see if he could figure it out as well. There were a handful of folk tales that came to mind, but nothing stood out. It had long been the wealthiest city of Eymia, so if nothing else Gamnuri figured that would be the most likely place to find something rare and powerful. He was still standing there mulling it over when Eriana's quiet words pulled his attention back to the matters at hand.

"Of course." He didn't even need to see the worry on her face before responding, and he turned to walk alongside her as they spoke. Artemis looked halfway dead in the commander's arms, and Gamnuri couldn't help a worried frown of his own as he looked at her. "I hope you're right about Arvena holding some kind of secret to fixing her. If not, I'm gonna have to go about forcefully gaining access to the dangerous archives in the Consilium, and even I don't want to battle that mountain of paperwork and bureaucracy. Doubt I'd even have the time to get it done, what with the way she's looking" Gamnuri sighed and shook his head, then looked up to Eriana. "What was it you wanted to talk about?"

Cress Relaryn & Axilya Chadaen

The last thing Cress wanted to do was leave the people of Garas Harbor to their own in the ruins of the city—not now when they'd finally gotten the injured out and could help the survivors find some measure of safety and relief for the night. What would it do to the people to see themselves abandoned until further help could come? Part of him was ready to request permission to stay behind with them until the others arrived. He was familiar with mountains and navigating difficult terrain and he would be able to catch up if he pushed hard enough.

Looking again at the worsening condition of the General, Cress felt the knot of sickening anxiety tighten in his chest. He couldn't separate from them now. If what the Commander said was true, he couldn't spare the time and risk not catching up later. His heart went out to the people of Garas Harbour, many of whom he knew and had yet to check in with, but there were greater things at stake. When they reached the Fort, more people could be sent to aid them until relief from the Queen arrived in full. For now, that would have to be enough.

There was a lot going on they weren't being told-- and he hoped whatever waited for them in Arvena was worth this.

Without another word, Cress turned from the group and moved away to search out his horse. In the chaos of the battle, most had sent their horses away for their own safety— though it seemed they hadn't gone too far. A short distance from the city, several of the animals could be seen grazing and Cress approached them. Remarkably, he found his own mount among them. Although the large, stocky grey mare slanted an ear at him as he drew up beside her, she remained still as he checked the tack and saddle, then hoisted himself up.

A stone's throw away, Axilya stood with her arms crossed and an ever so slight scowl darkening her expression as she scanned the field for the familiar sight of her bay gelding. With growing frustration, she was forced to admit that her horse had not found its way to the same spot as most of the others, and there was no sign of it anywhere nearby.

After sweeping the area with her searching gaze one final time, she tugged her whistle out from under her tunic and raised it to her lips to blow one short, shrill blast. Several of the horses raised their heads, ears swivelled in her direction, but none came towards her. She waited several moments, trying not to hope that her horse might've been near enough to hear her summons.

Just when she was about to give up and approach Captain Relaryn to ask for a lift back into the city, she caught sight of a familiar horse emerging from the trees to her right, and it was trotting in her direction. Her tense posture relaxed, and she moved to catch the reins as the horse reached her. She spoke softly to it as she adjusted her tack and checked to make certain nothing was missing or broken, and once satisfied, swung up into the saddle in a single smooth motion.

With a flick of the reins, she urged her horse back the way she came, and within a few swift strides came abreast of Cress and his mare. For a few long moments, she was silent, unsure whether or not to speak. She felt confident approaching him, knowing that he'd also stood side by side with Eriana in solidarity with the General, yet uncertainty made her hesitate.

Waiting as the other Hellhounds slowly approached and reclaimed their horses, Cress shifted his gaze back toward the ruins of Garas Harbour for a fleeting moment, then tapped a heel back to start his mare forward and away from the city. Others, too, were leaving the harbour and he was somewhat surprised as Axilya pulled up beside him, their horses matching pace. After a moment, Cress glanced over at her, his scarred visage set and austere.

"Are you well?" It wasn't what he'd wanted to ask, but those were the quiet words that found his lips first. Honestly, she looked about as well as he felt, and he knew such a question was a farce-- but what else could he say? Too much had happened for it to be unpacked in a short time, and an urgent ride back to the Fort was hardly an ideal setting for conversation.

She inclined her head towards him at the polite inquiry, her brow furrowed ever so slightly as she took a moment to ponder her answer. Following a brief pause, she replied, "Truth be told I am…. troubled." She bit her tongue on saying more, instead taking a moment to glance in his direction. Much as she yearned to give voice to her own concerns and hear her comrade's thoughts on the events of today, there was an urgency to their journey that made it seem not the proper time.

"And you?" Axilya asked in a low voice, "How are you faring?"

"About the same." At least he wasn't the only one at a loss. "I don't really know how to respond to everything, though it is a comfort to see the majority stand with the Commander. Right now, I think the best we can do is remain united and in control of our sensibilities."

Though at opposite extremes, both Falles and Morna had proven their willingness to engage in violence against other Hellhounds, and Tamsyn's proclivity to denounce magic made him sure she held no love for the General after such a display. Where Verus stood, Cress was still unsure. But, as was his experience, even a single soldier with a complaint could spread discord-- and infighting could break a unit faster than any monster ever could.

"The last thing we need is to be at each others' throats," he said, his voice still low. There was a tense note to his words-- something he'd never had a gift for disguising, though he continued, "I've no great suggestion as to how at the moment, but I'd advise working to find common ground with everyone before we reach Arvena."

He paused a moment, considering. Finally, he added, "I understand I have no special authority here, but if you need anything, I will do all I can."

With that, he kicked his heel back once more and urged his mare onward, slipping away into his thoughts as he rode.

Axilya nodded gratefully at the offer and found herself drifting into perturbed thought as he pulled ahead. Cress made a sound point; she had no idea how to begin forging common ground with the rest of the Rose Company, but to try would be a necessity. They couldn't afford to be divided - and the people they lived and fought to protect couldn't afford it either.

Last edited:
Questions & Answers

Despite everything that had just happened, a faint smile tugged at the edge of Eriana's lips. Even in times as serious as these, Gamnuri never failed to cheer her up, and his remark about the Consilium was exactly what she needed.

"I appreciate that, Gamnuri. Thank you." The smile faded, and she lowered her voice. "Gamnuri, I need you to keep quiet about what I'm about to tell you. It's a bit--no, a lot unusual, and if the other Hellhounds hear about it, they might think I'm crazy, and that's the last thing we need right now. We're struggling enough as it is." She sighed. "If that's too much to ask, I understand. But if anybody knows something about this, I've got a feeling it's going to be you."

"Well, I think you might be underestimating the Rose Company a bit there. Seems like we sort of live for crazy. We just fought a dragon, we've accepted Tamsyn as one of our own, and they've gotten used to my oddities as well." Gamnuri shrugged one shoulder. "But if you'd like it kept quiet, I'll keep it quiet, no worries."

"You may have a point, but I'm not sure I want to risk it." Eriana looked down at the limp form of Artemis before sighing and looking back at Gamnuri. "I'll see how I'm feeling after this talk.

"Speaking of your oddities, they're exactly why I wanted to come to you about this."
She paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to word what she had seen, before speaking slowly. "When I tried to heal the General, I...saw something. A vision of some sort. I'm not sure I understand exactly what happened. All I know is that she was overtaken by whatever corrupted her arms, and it transformed her into something else. Something that I was scared shitless of, something I couldn't run from." She shuddered briefly at the memory, the image of the creature lingering in her mind a moment, before continuing on.

"When I came out of it, all I could think was that I couldn't let that happen to her. I had no idea how to stop it, though, not after my magic failed. As I was thinking that, a thought popped into my head. The thought that I could save her. It was so sure of itself, so confident, that it didn't feel like it had come from me. When I wondered how, another thought followed it, and that didn't feel like it came from me either.

"That thought was that I need to go to Arvena, that there's an ancient 'gift' there, long-forgotten. That gift has the power to save her and help us to fight the monsters, and I got the feeling we would need it to survive some kind of oncoming onslaught.

"Now, I have no idea what could be in Arvena, but...the thought was just so sure, and if there's a chance, we have to take it."
She seemed to be reassuring herself, almost, the conviction of moments before being slowly replaced with creeping doubt and worry. She shoved her doubts aside for the time being, focusing on the questions she had for Gamnuri.

"If those thoughts didn't come from me, and I'm sure of that, they had to come from somewhere else. So, I have a question for you." She watched him intently, seeming ready to listen, if only to gain some reassurance.

"The gods you believe in. Do you know if they ever intervene directly like this? And this 'gift', do you have any idea what it could be?"

Gamnuri ran a hand over his beard as he let out a low whistle after Eriana asked the two heavy questions. He'd felt a brief spike of envy as she described what she'd heard, but that was easy enough to quash. For years now he'd been offering worship and prayer to the gods in the expectation that they would never be returned, and he was not so arrogant as to believe himself more worthy of divine revelation than anyone else. Assuming that was even the true origin of her thoughts, of course.

"I've already been thinking over what might be in Arvena, and I've drawn a blank. Maybe my thinking on the matter went backwards: rather than a place of once-great wealth being the right location to search for something powerful and ancient, perhaps the gift is why the city was so prosperous in the first place. I'm not familiar enough with the history of the city to make a guess, unfortunately."

He stroked his beard thoughtfully as he chewed over the first question in a few seconds of silence, recalling everything he'd read about the subject of the gods and their direct actions upon the world. When Gamnuri spoke again, his words were uncharacteristically tentative where he normally spoke with firm certainty and even authority on scholarly matters. "There are wildly conflicting accounts of what the gods do and how they do it. Most tend to say their actions are kept behind a curtain of sorts, manipulating odds with an invisible touch to make the unlikely certain and to steer events as they please. Many in history have claimed that one or more of the gods spoke directly to them."

Gamnuri looked up to Eriana with a hint of a smile tugging at his lips. "Most of them were raving madmen who spent years in solitude, of course. Easy to discount those ones. Others claimed the gods said things that just so happened to align with their own desires, such as one fellow who claimed keeping slaves and working them to death was morally sound because the gods told him so. Those ones are also easy to cast aside too." He held up a hand with four fingers extended. "But I've found four separate, credible accounts of folks saying a god spoke to them, not with outlandish sets of rules or convenient support, but with warnings and commands. From what I've read, and believe me it's been a lot, that fits in best with how the gods seem to have operated ages past. Small nudges and whispers, nothing grand, and leaving us mortals to heed their word or suffer for failure to do so.

"That said though, it's worth considering that it could be something else."
Gamnuri gestured vaguely with the hand he'd held up, wiggling his fingers for emphasis. "Magic is a tricky thing. Could be you've got some hints of prophetic ability in you that got goosed by the panic of not being able to heal Artemis. Could be there's someone with a unique talent for manipulating someone's thoughts making you believe you heard these things and is leading you—and by extension the Rose Company—into some kind of trap in Arvena. Neither is particularly likely, but then neither is a god whispering in your ear. Even though I'm willing to believe that's exactly what it is, the practical side of me says we ought to go in cautiously, just in case."

Eriana nodded slowly as she listened. It all made sense, and she was glad she had asked him. The idea that it might be a trap wasn't comforting, but knowing that there were accounts that backed up her initial belief and knowing that there were also alternate explanations definitely eased her mind some.

"Thank you. That helped. It's good to know there's an explanation, or a couple, even." After thinking it over a moment longer, she added, "If it's a god or some kind of prophetic ability, I think we should follow its lead. And if it's a trap, well, a sorcerer like that is a significant threat, and if they've gone unnoticed this long, maybe the best way to catch them is walk headlong into it." She shrugged, hint of a smile tugging at the edge of her lips. "Or maybe it's not, I don't know. I've never really been the subtle sort. That's more Artemis' style." Her face grew serious again.

"And, just in case this does turn out to be some kind of mind-affecting magic, let me know if I start acting oddly or recklessly, alright? This is new territory we're treading here, no matter what it does turn out to be, and I want to be sure I'm not taking unnecessary risks."

"As long as we keep our wits about us, anyone stupid enough to try setting a trap for the Rose Company is going to be lucky if they only walk away with a broken nose. Subtlety isn't my forte either, so I'm all for going in openly but carefully, ready to meet an ambush at any moment." Gamnuri clenched his fist with a little burst of flame for emphasis. "And I was already planning to keep an eye on you to make sure you aren't being played like a fiddle by some clever manipulator, so no worries there. Whatever's going on here, we'll figure it out together or punch our way through it, whichever needs doing."

Eriana smiled, grateful that Gamnuri had her back. "Thank you, again. I'm glad I can rely on your help, truly." As they approached the horses, she paused a moment, looking at Gamnuri a moment longer. There was a lot she didn't know about the gods, still, but that would have to wait until they were on the road to Arvena.

"I'd like to ask you more about the gods later, but for now, we both need to get ready to leave. We'll continue this discussion later." She nodded in the direction of the horses before moving in the direction of her mare and Artemis' stallion, already working on figuring out how she was going to get the two horses, herself, and Artemis all back.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Rae and Applo
1d5f3d3e49429be9f7aa122bde97f6a1.png

"So, where is the coin now?" Tamsyn waved off Gamnuri's summons. Right now she had more important business to attend to. In front of her stood a young girl of maybe five or six years old at most. The child's face was a maze of little cuts, and her eyes were red and puffy from crying. The tears had dried now though, and her attention was focused on Tamsyn's closed fists.​
"Is it in this one?" A little hand tapped the left fist which opened slowly to reveal an empty palm. For a moment the girl looked perplexed and then her eyes shifted to the other fist. Slowly, Tamsyn open her hand to reveal another empty palm. Perplexion shifted to full-blown confusion on the girls face and Tamsyn got the sense that tears wouldn't be far behind. Reaching behind the girls ear, she slid the coin from under her right-hand thumb into her fingers.​
"What's this doing here?" Tamsyn's hand brushed against the girl's ear as she brought the coin under the girls nose.​
"No fair. You said you wouldn't use magic!" The girl looked about as cross as her young face was able to manage.​
"I didn't," A smile spread across Tamsyn's as she pushed the coin into the girls grubby hand. "that's what makes it such a good trick."
"How did you do it then?"​
Without saying a word Tamsyn held up her left palm which was still empty and slowly raised her thumb exposing the little coin tucked underneath.​
"Why don't you practice that to show your mumma and pappa later eh." The second coin was also pushed into the girl's hand. "I need to go, but you keep those. Maybe you could buy your dolly a new dress with them." The dolly hanging loosely at the child's side would need quite a bit more than a new dress if Tamsyn was any judge but the little offering had had the desired effect. As she walked away, she glanced over her shoulder and saw the girl already practicing the trick. The traumas of today had been forgotten, at least for a short while, it seemed.​
While there were a few other stragglers like her, most of the Rose Company had already assembled by time Tamsyn joined the ranks of her comrades. She was perfectly content to linger at the back of the crowd and use the time to inspect her bow for damage and thus she only half paid attention to the Commander Kiryn's orders. That was until the commander mentioned the general. Standing on her tiptoes Tamsyn noticed the body sprawled over Taria's horned abomination for the first time. Even excluding the fact that general was apparently unconscious it was obvious something was wrong. Skin that colour was normally only found on those resting beneath the earth. Tamsyn was half tempted to point out this obvious example of the evils of magic. One look at the Commander's face dissuaded her though. She had too much to live for to commit suicide like that.​
When they were dismissed, Tamsyn didn't bother searching for her horse. The beast been headed into the city at full speed and if it was smart would still be running. No, that horse was now someone else's boon now. Instead, she made her way towards a large cluster of people who were not doing much.​
"Where is the nearest place I could find a horse?" The reaction the question got from the crowd was less than stellar. A few people looked at her like she was a lunatic, everyone appeared to have not heard her.​
"Can anyone tell me where I can find a horse? A stable, coach house, your filthy rich neighbor who lets it shit on your doorstep, anywhere at all." This got just as poor a reaction as her first attempt. Tamsyn rolled her eyes. "There's a silver in it for the first person who can answer my question." Twenty minutes later, Tamsyn rocket out of the city gates and onto the road that led to Fort Siane. She knew she was probably some way behind the rest of the company but she wasn't worried. It would take the power of the gods to make Vultog's poor beast as fast as hers.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: RJS

VULTOG

Vultog couldn't fail to notice the panic and concern on the face of the Commander. She wore it well, putting on the face of a leader, but when her closest friend lay gravely wounded and her healing magic did nothing, then it was understandable that a little would seep out. He had waited patiently by as she had spoken with Gamnuri, though about what he had no idea. It was clearly something the Commander wanted to keep private, and he trusted her judgement on that.

He watched as she began to try to manoeuvre General Artemis over a horse, struggling with her unconscious weight. That would not do. She had struggled enough today. He strode over, moving to take hold of the General before checking himself. "Commander, would it wrong of me to help you carry her? Never quite got royal protocol to be honest with you." He shifted from foot to foot, hoping he hadn't just suggested some grave crime. Human civilisation had weird rules about their chiefs after all.

Eriana had decided the best way to handle the ride back would be to have Artemis in the saddle in front of her and to lead the stallion behind. It shouldn't be too difficult, since both the horses were well-trained, and Artemis was smaller than her, if only slightly so. Still, lifting her into the saddle was tricky, and she was struggling with it when Vultog approached her.

She looked up at him with some surprise. Focused as she had been earlier, she somehow hadn't noticed him, which was unusual enough, considering the orc's sheer size. She blinked at him a moment before shaking her head, a smile creeping onto her face.

"No, it wouldn't be wrong. I'd appreciate it, actually. Thank you." She let him take Artemis and stepped back, trusting he would handle her carefully.

Vultog sighed with relief as the Commander spoke. Always nice to know there wasn't some unspoken law he'd just broken. After all, humans had very fancy difficult ways of dealing with disputes. Orc life was simpler in that regard. If you were still alive, you were in the right.

Reaching down, he gingerly lifted the Princess' body, cradling it as he had seen mothers do with infants. He took in her sickly pallor up close, the ash-grey accentuated with the sheen of cold sweat. A look of concern crossed his face for a moment, before settling into a resolute determination. The General would do what needed to be done, and so if they could not aspire to that strength they did not deserve her as a chief.

He glanced over to the Commander as they walked towards the horses. "Commander, do you think this happens to all of them? Anyone who uses blood magic?"

A lot of people would have been surprised at how gently Vultog held Artemis. However, Eriana knew Vultog better than most people, which was why she had been so ready to entrust her friend to the orc. Seeing how carefully he held her only caused her to smile again, though there was a hint of sadness in her eyes. Seeing Artemis like this...it pained her, and Eriana wished she could do more for her friend.

Still, standing around wasn't going to get them anywhere, and she started forward again, Vultog falling into step next to her. The question caught her off-guard, and she glanced up at him, considering the question for a few moments before shaking her head.

"No, I don't think so. From what little I understand about blood magic, it does take its toll on the caster, but this...I've never heard of anything like this happening before." She looked at Artemis again, brow creased with worry. "It's something dark and evil, I know that. And I know if we don't stop it, she'll..."

Her voice broke, and she felt tears threatening to break loose again. She stopped, taking a breath, struggling to regain her composure. She didn't want to break down in front of the Hellhounds, but that was a lot more difficult now that she didn't have something else to focus on.

"Sorry," she mumbled. "Need a moment." She was surprised at how calmly the words came out, but her voice still trembled a bit.

Vultog was now torn. He needed to carry the princess and now the commander needed comforting. At the same time, the commander's words echoed in his head, and his eye began to itch. "Then of all of them, it shouldn't have happened to her." Awkwardly resting the bulk of the General's weight against his shoulder, he reached down with his left hand to deliver what he hoped was a comforting pat.

"Come on Commander. We're the Rose Company. If we can handle a dragon, we can handle whatever's got our General. I don't know that I'll be much help figuring it out, but when you're ready to point someone at something you know I'm here."

He shifted his arm back to support the Princess. "And that goes for that ungrateful bitch Morna too. If she's so upset at being saved by the General, I am more than willing to rectify that." He strode slightly ahead as they neared the horses. "This is my family. If you want me to hold back if she speaks again I will. But if you don't order me not to...nobody threatens my family twice and walks away unharmed."

The pat caught Eriana by surprise, mostly because she hadn't expected Vultog to respond immediately. Despite his care, the pat was delivered with enough force to cause her to stumble a bit, but she quickly regained her footing, looking up at him with gratitude in her eyes. She smiled again as he continued speaking, expressing his support in the way he knew best, which was promising to hit things if she needed it.

Yes, most people would be surprised that an orc could be gentle or caring. But Vultog was, in his own way, one of the most loyal and caring people she knew, and she was glad to have him in the Company. He cared deeply about the Company and their wellbeing, and would defend them fiercely. Even his comment about Morna showed that, violent as it was.

"Thank you, Vultog. I think that's exactly what I needed right now." She picked up the pace as he strode ahead, whistling to her mare and signaling the horse to stay put as Vultog approached. "As far as Morna's concerned, I'm more worried about her actions than her words. Both are concerning, but as long as she doesn't actually try to attack anybody, I think I can probably handle her." She glanced up at Vultog again, forcing her concern about that probably down and smiling again. "If she does try to kill Ari, or another one of us, I'll definitely want your help."

"Understood. Should the time come, you needn't even ask." He looked across at where the horses had been...and at the large horse-shaped cinder that stood where he had left his own. Some would have been dismayed at the sight. Vultog felt only relief. In its last moments, his horse probably had too.

"Guess I'm running back to the fort." His newly upbeat mood at the thought of not having to squat on the horse carried through in his voice. "Probably for the best - I'm less likely to drop the General that way." His gaze flickered to Eriana and a slight smirk danced across his lips. "Race you, Commander?"

She had to admit, she hadn't expected this when Vultog had offered to carry Ari. She had expected him to help her get Ari onto the horses, rather than carry her the whole way back. Still, it meant Eriana wouldn't have to worry about Ari falling off the horse or going at a slower pace, and Ari would probably be safest with Vultog anyway.

So, she smirked back at Vultog before whistling again to her mare, calling it over. Her face grew serious again as her mare began to trot over, though it was clear from the way she held herself that she was looking forward to the race. "Alright, but we don't start until the others are gathered, and you bring her back to me immediately if there's any change in her condition. If she wakes up, if the thing in her arms spreads or retreats, anything at all. Got it?"

Vultog nodded, paused for a few seconds, and then grinned. "Of course Commander. That being said, it sounds like you expect to be behind me the whole way. Surely you don't expect to be outpaced by me on foot, do you?"

Eriana looked up at him, smile returning to her face. "Well, we'll have to see, won't we? Though, if you fall behind me, I assume you can call out to me if something changes?"

Vultog's grin twisted into a smirk. "Don't worry Commander. I'll make sure to not let myself get too far ahead of you." He looked down at the General, cradled in his arms. "And I'll make sure that no further harm comes to her."

bd43437466a58775bffe922d190632c3.jpg

76e4a6472215db9885648c9c0610dd11.png

The world shifted at a constant rate beneath her, the steady beat of what definitively did not feel like a horse carrying her at great speed. Artemis blinked slowly, her head roaring at the pain of consciousness for a moment before drifting away. She looked up, smiling slightly to see Vultog was the one carrying her. Why am I not surprised…

She glanced around, although the movement wasn't entirely possibly being cradled in the orc's arms. She laughed, wondering what her mother would think if she could see her now. The laugh was cut short by sobering memories of her mother's hateful screams. It would be no different.

"Vultog!" she called out. "Where is Commander Eriana?"

Vultog glanced down at the sound of the brief laugh, relief etched into his face for a moment before being replaced with a slight smirk. "Good to see you're awake, General. Unfortunately for Commander Kiryn, she is currently eating my dust, with a side of humble pie." His expression shifted back to concern...and hesitance. "General...can I ask you something?

Artemis crossed her arms as well as she could given her current predicament, arching an eyebrow. "Yes, but I cannot guarantee a proper answer." She braced herself for any number of possible questions that could come from the giant orc, her mind racing as she remembered all that had happened. Oh gods…

Vultog's stomach lurched at the General's response. A thousand questions and suspicions swirled in the back of his mind, rising up unbidden as his eye itched furiously with the memory. And yet, he couldn't let himself doubt. He couldn't tear the family he had here away from himself. What right did he have to pry anyway? She had saved his life...hell, all of their lives. Why was that not enough for him? Ignoring the scratching whispers and muttered doubts and blinking against the pain, he shook his head. "Never mind, General. I was out of line." His pace began to slow. "The Commander wanted me to inform her should your condition change in any way...hopefully we won't be waiting too long."

Artemis pursed her lips but did not press him. She turned her head, relieved to see Fort Siane rising in the near distance. "Hurry on to the fort. I will explain what I can when we get there." Her meaning was quite obvious. She wasn't entirely sure what had happened while she'd been unconscious, but she was sure it wasn't good. She could think of at least a couple of her company that would despise her for the use of blood magic. Morna came to mind first; Tamsyn was an obvious second.

The General then finally noticed her hands, too preoccupied with her own thoughts to give much attention to her condition until then. Her eyes widened. Her fingertips were completely black, as if dipped in tar. Her veins stretched with grey, winding up her forearms all the way to her shoulders. She could feel the dark magic emanating from it, and Artemis remembered how easily the illusionist had been able to reach her mind. That should not have happened. As the Crown Princess, she'd undergone years of training to protect herself from mental invasions like that. She knew, deep down, that the black magic trying to overwhelm her body had something to do with it. Is this the price I finally pay for using blood magic?

She grimaced at the thought of how this would affect the Rose Company in the future. They thrived partially because of the trust between its members, no matter their differences. The broken trust would have to be mended--and quickly. Their enemies would seize on every weakness, and it was perhaps her own failure in not telling them everything. Even Eriana did not know everything.

It was time Artemis told them the truth.

Vultog's stride faltered slightly. "General...I mean no disrespect but...if you mean to talk to everyone we'll have to wait anyway and...Commander Kiryn was concerned about your well-being. And now you're overriding an order that she gave me...are you sure you'd rather not see her first?"

The general sighed. Eriana always worried, though she had to admit there was plenty good reason this time around. "Alright, let's go on and find the commander. Hopefully she found my horse." Knowing Eriana, she was probably not far behind.

Vultog's face bore a palpable shade of relief. "As you wish, General." Turning, he began to jog back the way he had come, calling loudly. "Commander! The General is awake!"

Eriana had handed off Artemis' stallion to one of the other Hellhounds while they'd been gathering, so she could devote all her attention to the race. Even so, Vultog was quite a bit faster than her mare, but she managed to keep a respectable distance nonetheless. When he turned around and began calling out towards her, she urged her mare on, closing the distance easily.

In a few moments, she was slowing down next to Vultog, relief visible on her face when she saw Artemis awake and--seemingly--in a stable state. "Ari," she murmured, smiling with relief. "You're alright." The smile faltered, however, upon recalling what she'd seen, and her expression quickly grew somber.

"We need to talk. A lot's happened since you left, and I…" She hesitated, though unsure why. Artemis needed to know what she had seen, and Vultog could definitely be trusted, so why didn't she just say it? Still, she bit back what she had been about to say and continued on, hoping the pause hadn't been too noticeable. "I think there's something in Arvena that can heal you. We're stopping at the fort for supplies and to send a message to the queen, and then we're moving on to Arvena." She paused, half-expecting arguments from Artemis and determined to shut them down if need be.

When Eriana approached, Artemis mustered the strength to leap out of Vultog's arms, landing as gracefully as she could manage given the circumstances. She listened to her friend and second-in-command intently, crossing her arms and seeing the rest of her company approaching in near distance.

When she mentioned Arvena, the general stiffened, the wind whipping into a frenzy only slightly before dying down once more. She studied Eriana, knowing that her friend had more to say. So reluctantly, Artemis nodded without much argument, but it was clear through her body language that Eriana would have much explaining to do.

"We'll discuss the...particulars at the fort, Commander. Where is my horse?" Artemis finally said, all business and formality. She scanned her approaching company, eyes quickly finding the beautiful white stallion she called her own.

Placing two fingers at her lips, she whistled, using her magic to pierce the air with the sound. The stallion quickly rallied to attention, breaking free of whatever bond had kept him tethered to one of the Hellhounds. He raced towards them, years of training and careful devotion spurring him back towards his master. Artemis smiled as he finally approached, speaking softly to the beautiful horse as she ran a hand down his mane.

"We've got little time to waste. I must send a messenger to the Queen at once about what happened at Garas Harbor. Relief troops will need to be sent as well to aid the survivors." Mounting her horse with practiced ease, she kicked him into a gallop, racing off just as the rest of the Company finally caught up with them. An unknown sense of fear weighed down on her mind; the Queen needed to know about the illusionist as soon as possible.

mountain_pass_by_piotrdura_d9efjj2-fullview.jpg

3d97c5865b3c0990d0cd866181055e66.png

"Raise the gate!"

Artemis slowed her horse barely enough to give the guards of Fort Siane enough time to raise the thick iron gate that had kept out enemies ever since it was built. Her stallion was violently heaving from the exertion when she finally pulled on the reins to bring him to a stop, swinging off the saddle with practiced ease.

Commander Rolan Griel was already there to greet her, his expression grim. She wasted no time, relaying the essential information. "Send soldiers immediately to help the survivors. Do not, under any circumstances, approach Rockfell Castle." Rolan's questioning gaze was unmistakable, but he remained silent.

A strange sense of ordered chaos soon swept through Fort Siane as the commander barked out orders to his men. They obeyed without question, readying several companies to march towards Garas Harbor. Among the chaos, the Rose Company soon came galloping into the fort.

Artemis let out a breath, looking at each person under her command. "Leave the horses in the care of the stable boys. It is time you all got some answers…but not here."

She spun on her heel, leading them towards the Rose Company's personal command center of sorts, untouched by anyone except those allowed by the general herself. Guards stood sentry outside the thick iron doors, dutifully opening them without so much as a grunt of effort. Artemis nodded her thanks, eyes focusing on the large room within.

A long table with more than enough oak chairs for the Rose Company was in the center of the room. Smaller tables filled the rest of the room, heavy parchment and books stacked tall on each of them. Small windows were scattered throughout the wall, but they were covered with heavy drapes, letting in only the smallest light.

A large fireplace still warm with old embers stood opposite to the doors. Waving a hand, fire sparked to life, instantly bringing warmth and light to the somewhat chilly room. At the same time, candles throughout the room lit up, including an iron chandelier centered above the long table.

Wordlessly, Artemis took her usual place at the head of the table, her back to the fireplace. She waited patiently for the rest of the Rose Company to take their seats, the iron doors slamming shut when the last of them was seated.

The crown princess clasped her hands in front of her, well aware of the visible black magic that snaked through her veins. The move was a calculation. She watched their reactions, having a hunch who remained loyal and who saw her as a monster. She waited only a moment before speaking.

"You all know why we're here. Even if some of you didn't see it happen, you've no doubt heard of it by now. I used blood magic to help stop the dragon…the ultimate taboo…or so you've been taught. The truth is not so simple." She took a deep breath, years of strict training causing her to pause. But she pressed on.

"Even before it was outlawed, the royal family of Donnwick has used blood magic as a means of protecting the throne from usurpers and assassins. Centuries of special knowledge have been passed down through the generations and taught to every daughter in the royal family without…"

She blinked slowly, memories seizing her. Her mother's hand, her voice…white-hot fire blasted towards her relentlessly until Artemis finally fought back like they wanted…

"…without question. Despite what the law would have you believe, if you train properly, blood magic can be used quite easily without losing your mind. The law…the law is there to keep the people under control. Those in power use blood magic, while those who aren't are told they'll lose their heads if they even try…both literally and figuratively. This is true in every kingdom, not just Donnwick."

Artemis looked somewhat pointedly at those hailing from other kingdoms, although her gaze drifted across every person's face.

"You don't have to believe me when I say that I was not given a choice when I was told to learn how to use blood magic. If it were up to me, the crimes of the aristocracy would be revealed to the whole world, but the chaos it would create is not currently worth the satisfaction. We have bigger problems to deal with right now."

"One of those problems is an illusionist I encountered at Rockfell Castle. All the kingdoms—not just Donnwick—have been concealing the growing problem of dark magic users. The Queen tried to hide the danger posed to Lady Morra from me. Because of that…I wasn't able to save her. Lady Morra is, without a doubt, dead at the hands of the illusionist, and we encountered countless blood mages who had already lost their minds at that castle."

She paused, wondering if she should trust her next words with everyone in the room. Hours before, she would have, knowing their loyalty. But now…it was rather ironic how easily loyalties could change. But nevertheless, Artemis needed the Rose Company, and Donnwick needed her.

"What I'm about to say shall not leave this room, or I will have no choice but to kill you myself. The Queen…my mother…is not fit to rule. She is a danger to herself and this queendom. It is my intention within the next year to depose her, but I will need your help."

"Obviously, whatever that dragon's dark magic did to me requires fixing," she held up her hands, "and I believe Commander Eriana may have insight for that. We will soon set out for the city of Arvena. We will take the path through the mountains. It is almost winter, so pack accordingly. It is imperative that we discover more about the dragon attack, including how it was able to use such terrible magic. I felt it, and I am sure you all did, too. That magic…it would have killed us all."​

VULTOG

Vultog had listened to the General's speech quietly and without comment, perched on a chair that was larger than usual - though not large enough to prevent his knees from rising up to his shoulders. All in all an uncomfortable experience, not least because of her words. It felt like the floor had fallen out beneath him. Blood magic was...condoned? Secretly perpetuated? His eye itched furiously at the knowledge. Perhaps his tormentor even now lived a life of luxury, enabled by the nobility. He wanted to scream, to hurl objects across the room...and yet he could not.

This was his home, his family. The only place he had ever found true friends, allies. The events of today had already done enough to strain the ties that had held them close, and his outburst would only stretch them further. So he stayed his tongue, biting down on it hard enough to taste the bitter ferric tang of blood in his mouth. And when the General finished, he rose to his feet, threw a crisp salute and left the room ahead of any other.

He hated that he mistrusted the words of the Princess, that his mind strayed to thoughts that the deposition of the Queen might be motivated by selfish, power-seeking reasons. He hated that he doubted whether the widespread use of blood magic would be revealed even if there were no monster threat. The waves of anger and sadness rolling off of him as he stalked through the castle to the training ground precluded any of the passing soldiers from even unintentionally getting in his way. The training ground was mercifully empty, a few wicker training dummies set out for practice. And Vultog could restrain himself no longer.

He was next aware of himself standing, panting heavily, surrounded by shattered wicker shards that were all that remained of the dummies. Splinters that he barely paid notice to dug into his hands in countless places, and two cold, wet streaks ran from his eyes down to his face. The right eye - tears. The left - blood. He had no idea of how loud he'd been, or if he'd been seen. He could only hope none had noticed. Rubbing his forearm across his face and smearing the streaks from existence, he headed to the barracks to pack and make ready for the trip through the mountains.

It was an uncomfortable silence that Vultog left in his wake and no one it seemed, wanted to be the person to break it. Slumped in one of the large oak chairs, an arrow twiddling between her digits, Tamsyn wondered what exactly it was that had silenced the other members of the company. Shock? Anger? Fear? In the flickering light of the candles that illuminated the room blue-green eyes flicked between the faces of the remaining Hellhounds as she tried reading their thoughts.

For her part, Tamsyn remained fair nonplussed about the princess's first revelation. She had had plenty of time to think on it on the ride back from Garas Harbour. All magic was an aberration against the natural order. That was something she had known and believed for as long as she could recall. Perhaps blood magic was more physically revolting than other forms to some but morally, Tamsyn saw no difference. The fact that the royal family she served stayed in power by using it certainly wouldn't help the gnawing guilt that sometimes kept her awake at nights. But that was something Tamsyn had been dealing with since before she had even thought of joining the Hellhounds. She had seen the princess looking at her, evidence of her corruption on show and smiled back. She was well practiced at that game.

The fact that the princess planned to depose her mother from the throne was more troublesome. No matter how clean and precise the strike there would be some who bucked against the change. There would be violence and mistrust and those considered strange or odd would be particularly at risk. Her own village had been founded out in the wilds to avoid having much contact with the rest of the corrupted world but they still had to trade and rely on queensmen for protection. It was all to easy for Tamsyn to imagine violence and magic spreading to her home. Despite the general's threat, she knew she had to send some warning of what might be to come and that to do so she had to act fast.

Wordlessly Tamsyn climbed out of her chair, gathered her things and left the hall. She was been tempted to make some joke about how they were all heathens to her anyway to lighten the mood but decided that it wasn't the time. Stepping through the enormous door, her ears were assaulted by the not to distant sounds of splintering wood and pure rage. She left that well enough alone. Dealing with Vultog could be someone else's job. Instead, the auburn haired hunter practically sprinted to her room. Packing wouldn't take long. Writing something would. Particularly, as Tamsyn knew she had to scrounge something to write on first.

Dumping her gear onto her bunk, Tamsyn spun on her heels and back out of the door. After a moment to listen for the sounds of anyone else coming up the stairs, she gently pried open the door across her own. Axilya quartered in this room and kept a small library of books and tomes in it. A library that Tamsyn sometimes raided for a scrap of paper. She always tried to take blank pages rather than those that had writings on and so as she picked the first book of the shelf she opened it at the back. Unfortunately she was greeted by a wall of text and a thin nub of a removed page. It appeared that she had already raided this particular volume. Swearing Tamsyn picked another tome that had a good layer of dust and was rewarded by a sheet of blank paper. Swiftly, she employed a dagger to slice the page from its binding before returning the book to its place before gliding out the door and latching it behind her.

Tamsyn Trelawney & Axilya Chadaen

brought to you in collaboration with @Applo

Seated in a large oak chair near the foot of the table, Axilya remained poised and expressionless as the General spoke, watching her leader and hanging on every word.

This is true in every kingdom, not just Donnwick.

All the kingdoms - not just Donnwick - have been concealing the growing problem of dark magic users.

Her attention shifted ever so slightly from the General to the crackling fire in the hearth behind her, but remained otherwise expressionless. But in her soul, Ilya felt a sinking, draining weight begin to seep through her. And then, the General spoke words that made her blink once, twice… words of treason, of usurping the throne. Her face unchanged, Axilya murmured a soft, "Hm."

As soon as Artemis finished, Vultog excused himself from the premises, leaving behind an awkward silence. Then, Tamsyn followed close on his heels. As the door fell shut behind her, Axilya slowly rose from her chair to stand at attention, facing the General. She spoke in a casual tone, almost as if they'd just finished a friendly chat about the weather. "Anything you need General, you know we've got your back; I'll be packing for the journey if I'm needed." She saluted, and exited the room without a backward glance.

The few short minutes between the hall and her quarters turned into a hundred mile journey. She stared ahead without really seeing what was in front of her, taking each slow step out of habitual familiarity. Ever since leaving her homeland to fight alongside the Hellhounds here in Donnwick, General Carrow had been the object of her unflinching loyalty. She looked to every order without question, accepted every task with a nod and a 'yes ma'am,' and never once thought to distrust the best superior she had ever served under. But now…. Things were not so simple.

She was afforded little opportunity to dwell on her thoughts, however, as the moment she reached the top of the stairs, she stopped dead in her tracks, watching dumbfounded as none other than Tamsyn slipped out of Axilya's room and latched the door, a page in her hand. Slowly striding towards her comrade, she cleared her throat.

"What, may I ask, is the meaning of this?"

At these words a violent twitch of surprise racked the gangly redhead. As blue-green eyes were raised to meet Axilya's own, the hand that held the piece of paper was hurriedly and, somewhat hopefully thrust behind the woman's back.

"Uh… Lieutenant, I…" For a moment it was practically possible so see the cogs turning in Tamsyn's mind. "I wanted to ask if you have been through these mountains before. I've never been that far east." The woman's empty hand nervously tucked a strand of hair behind an ear as an attempt at a trustworthy smile spread across their lips.

Axilya took a few slow steps forward, her steady gaze focused on Tamsyn. "I'm afraid my travels have never taken me quite that far either." She halted her advance, eyes narrowed. With a casual wave, she gestured to the hand the other knight held behind her back. "Come now, no need to stand half at ease."

"What?" Tamsyn looked confused for a second until it apparently occurred to her just what Axilya meant. "Oh I was jus-" Whatever sentence the woman had come up with was abruptly cut off as volley of violent sneezes near doubled her over; between each expulsion it was just possible to hear the noise of crinkling paper. When Tamsyn stood up straight again her eyes were watering and she conspicuously wiped away the tears with both hands.

"Sorry, the dust here still gets me sometimes." With that the Grand Knight began to step crab like around Axilya so that her back was to the wall. "I should go pack."

The Lieutenant crossed her arms, a slight frown playing at her lips. She casually stepped slightly to the side, making it more difficult for Tamsyn to get by her. "Hm. Of course…. But, before you do that, why don't you tell me what you were really doing sneaking out of my room?"

"I'm not sure I understand you, Lieutenant." For a long moment the pairs eyes bored into one another before the knight blinked, averted her gaze and mumbled. "I just wanted to ask you something, that's all."

"Most folk who are looking for someone don't do it by lurking about in places they know that person is not, and leaving when that person arrives," Axilya replied flatly, steely gaze unflinching.

"I thought that… you… might of…" The sentence died away seemingly through a lack of words presenting themself to the Grand Knight's tongue. "I really should go and make ready for the trip. My bow needs a new string and my blade could do to see a whetstone." With that Tamsyn resumed sliding along the wall in a slightly more hurriedly fashion than before.

This time Axilya stepped slightly away, allowing Tamsyn just enough room to easily get by her. "And I'm sure this most recent page you've nicked from my quarters is due to see a quill."

With the revelation that Axilya knew what had happened and why, Tamsyn's face went stony and cold. "I will not leave my people in the dark while the Princess and her mother play their games. I took an oath to protect those who reject magic and it's evils. We are few enough already in number. I don't intend to let us dwindle further if I can help it."

"Your intentions may be noble, but regardless, I'm afraid I cannot allow you to betray the General's confidence." Axilya held her hand out expectantly for Tamsyn to hand over the pilfered parchment.

"With all due respect Lieutenant, mind your own damn business!" The hunter started to back away from Axilya while a hand came to rest just on the pommel of her sword. The handle wasn't grasped but the message was clear enough. "I've travelled a lot of this Queendom. Even at the best of times it could hardly be called peaceful. What will it be like when the Queen's and Princess's supporters turn on each other? Many will wield unnatural magics. What happens when they decide my people support the wrong royal? Or that my village has supplies they need? The only way my family survives that is by being prepared! By being warned. When I left home, I accepted that my soul would be stained. I will not stain it further by doing nothing now."

Axilya's hand drifted to one of the knives strapped to her belt, but her wrist remained relaxed and she made no move to draw it. At Tamsyn's verdant defense of her actions, thoughts of home briefly flickered through her mind, along with a deep, heart wrenching pang of guilt. Unfortunately, she understood entirely too well why the Knight felt the need to take action.

One slow step at a time, she kept up a steady advance as Tamsyn backed away. With her free hand, she reached for the cord dangling around her neck, and tugged out her whistle. "I believe it's time for the Princess to be informed, then."

As the whistle was brought into view, the hand that had been resting on the pommel of Tamsyn's sword slid down and clenched around the weapon's hilt hard enough to turn the knuckles white. There was a slight metallic scrape as blade shifted slightly in its scabbard and then near silence. The woman had gone ridgid, eyes fixed on the whistle. The only movement was that of her chest rising and falling as if though she had just finished an exhausting training session and an increasing tremor in the arm that held the sword.

"Please, Lieutenant…" Tamsyn's voice cracked in between ragged breaths. "Doing nothing isn… I can't just… I have to do something. I can't abandon them."

For a brief instant, Axilya's raised hand froze. Then, she gave a slight shake of her head. "And I cannot abandon my duty." And with that, she raised the whistle to her lips and blew a long, piercing note.

For a moment Tamsyn stared open mouthed at the elf before her face twisted with incandescent anger. "YOU FILTHY MAGIC USING BITCH!" The shout filled the corridor almost as much as the whistle had. "YOU WANT TO STOP ME? THEN DRAW YOUR BLADE AND TRY." Tamsyn's sword glinted in the torch light that lit the corridor as it was drawn and leveled toward Axilya.​

• Haha
  • OMG
Reactions: Joan and Applo

Morna Vaile

Morna sat quietly with her jaw clenched as the blood mage spoke, and the words did nothing at all to soothe her inner turmoil. The supposed truth of blood magic being used by the ruling class of all nations had shattered her plan to inform those loyal to the Queen about the broken taboo. She wasn't convinced it was true, but if it was... then nothing would come of getting word to the Queen. It would be impossible for that information to be used to take down Artemis, and it was easy to envision a scenario in which she would end up dead to ensure her silence after revealing that she knew of the royal use of the taboo power. The talk of a coup was much less bothersome to Morna, because she had already concluded on her own that the Queen was unfit for the position, but it would certainly be the most effective secret to share if she wanted to see Artemis removed.

But was that what she wanted now? As much as she wanted to view everything the blood mage said as filthy lies born of madness and corruption, Morna could not deny that there was a twisted ring of truth to the allegation of widespread use of blood magic to maintain power. In times of strife and revolution, the side that usually won was the side with more strength of might and magic on their side, and what better way to ensure the longevity of a given dynasty than to keep a very powerful form of magic away from the commonfolk so that it could be used to against them as needed? It was still abhorrent to her, even if the risk of madness had been falsely inflated, and the corruption in Artemis' arms and her account of a foul illusionist with a legion of blood mages in thrall made it clear that there was an undeniable danger to the use of blood magic. Unfortunately, the grave perils facing the world meant that blood mages could not yet be eradicated for posing dangers of their own, because the possibility existed that there could be other monsters out there with overwhelming power to match the dragon that would have killed the lot of the Rose Company without the power of blood magic on their side. So long as blood magic remained a tool that was needed to protect people from monsters, the only sane course of action was to abide the foulness until the monsters were eliminated.

The conclusion to Morna's stormy thoughts left a sour taste in her mouth, but she swallowed that imagined bile and gathered her composure as she rose to speak in the wake of Tamsyn and Axilya leaving. Now was not the time to be emotional, not while the monsters roamed the land and killed innocent people, and so she faced Artemis to give her response in the emotionless deadpan that she normally presented to her fellow soldiers. "You say there is no true danger to the use of blood magic, but your own marred flesh and your own tale of maddened blood mages working with the illusionist seems to prove that it makes the user vulnerable to foul influences. That, in my mind, makes you and every other blood mage a danger to the very people we have sworn to protect. Only the fact that such powers are useful, and perhaps necessary, to combat the greater threat of monsters keeps me from doing what must be done to eliminate that danger."

Morna held Artemis' eyes as she let that statement and its implications sink in, to let the blood mage see that she possessed the necessary resolve to follow through on the threat. "I will tell you exactly what I told the others while you laid unconscious after the confrontation with the dragon: I tolerate your continued existence and use of blood magic only so long as it remains necessary to kill other monsters," she paused again to let the emphasized word and its implicit meaning take hold, "and does not become an imminent danger to those I vowed to protect. Should you become corrupted enough to lack control over your own actions, I will not hesitate to strike you down. I swore an oath to protect those who could not protect themselves, and I intend to fulfill it even if it kills me. I'm sure you understand." There was just a hint of grim mirth to those last words, a hint of the morbid amusement Morna felt for leaning on shared values right after her polite declaration of willingness to kill the woman she was speaking to. "As for the other matter, I find myself struggling to care who ends up wearing the crown, so I see no reason to speak of your plans. I'll go pack now."

Morna inclined her head toward Artemis, just low enough to act as a token of respect for her superior, and on a whim decided that maintaining an outward veneer of respect would be necessary to go about the business of slaying monsters. That meant using things like proper titles, rather than calling her 'the blood mage,' so she offered a single word along with the nod to make clear her willingness to continue to follow orders for the time being. "General."

And with that she turned on heel and walked out of the room. The sound of some heated conversation down a hall as she passed by didn't even merit enough interest for her to turn her head and see who was involved. Whatever it was, Morna was riding on a high of cathartic relief after confronting the General and as far as she was concerned it was probably none of her business if she wasn't already involved in the matter. Luckily her own quarters were down a different hall, and so she hurried off that way to get ready for the next journey.

Gamnuri Balgron

Rather than feeling any shock or dismay or what have you, Gamnuri fell deep into intrigued consideration of the General's talk of the use of blood magic and her plans for the future. He'd already been interested in the prospect of learning blood magic for his own purposes even when he thought there was a heavy risk of corruption, so hearing that such a risk was in fact a ruse made it more attractive still. And if blood magic was kept as the domain of royalty and those they trusted to protect them, then acquiring knowledge of such power would be a simple matter of gaining the total trust of a monarch... say by way of helping a princess pull off a coup to take the throne. Perhaps that wouldn't be necessary at all, given Artemis' stated desire to reveal the lies, which would in turn perhaps lift the taboo and make knowledge of blood magic a very common thing. Regardless, he was perfectly fine with helping her take the throne whether or not he gained anything from it, simply because he was convinced that Princess Artemis was a much better fit for the job than her mother.

Gamnuri listened with a crooked smile growing on his face as Morna laid out her not-quite-ultimatum. Her thoughts on blood magic in fact having some corrupting quality were interesting, worthy of consideration at least, but the rest was more or less the same as she'd said not so long ago in the wake of the dragon being defeated. He waited just a few seconds after the door closed behind her, then spoke directly to General Artemis and let his deep amusement suffuse his words as a grin pulled at his cheeks. "Well, she's good at self-righteousness, gotta give her that. For all her talk, the fact that she didn't act immediately means she really doesn't want to. I figure as long as you don't go mad and start slaughtering innocents, she probably won't act on the threat." Gamnuri scratched at his beard for a moment, grin fading, then spoke in a more speculative tone. "Of course, it's still a threat, and I believe there's generally some kind of punishment for threatening your commanding officer. Can't say whether it'd be better to let it go or throw the book at her, but that's why I'm just a soldier and not a leader. I can say it'd be a damn fool idea to try to throw a punishment her way without a handful of others on hand to make sure she doesn't do anything stupid, and I volunteer for the job if it needs doing."

The dwarf pushed his chair back from the long table and stood. "Far as I see it, not much that matters has changed. The monsters still need to be dealt with, you're still the best person to lead the fight, and that's all there is to it. Whether that means insurrection or a long trek in the cold in search of answers or anything else, I'll be along for the ride." Gamnuri snapped off a quick salute to the General, then headed off without another word to get some supplies together for the trip.

He had half a mind to chase down Morna and try to talk some sense into her, but the sound of a whistle being blown drew his attention even as he saw her disappearing around a corner. It wasn't coming from her, so he hurried his pace and turned down the hall she'd passed by. The sound of shouting was a surprising addition as he was turning the corner to see what was happening, and it took him a moment to process what exactly he was seeing. Tamsyn had always been an odd one, but he didn't take her for the sort to threaten someone without good cause. Axilya was standing unarmed against her though, so what possible cause could there be for drawing steel? There was only one way to find out.

"Now, I dunno what's going on here," Gamnuri chattered with amiable calmness as he approached them with his hands swinging loose and unthreatening at his sides, "but I'm gonna guess it's nothing good. Whatever it is you're looking to do, Tamsyn, you won't get it done by spilling a comrade's blood. Cut her down, and perhaps me as well, and what'll happen is you get hunted down by folks less inclined to have a polite talk. For your own sake, I suggest you put the blade away before others arrive to see what the whistle was all about." The dwarf ended up standing a few feet away from the two women, and he remained in a decidedly peaceful stance rather than squaring up to fight. As sure as he was that he could resolve the problem with a swift leap and a punch, without getting more than a shallow slice for his troubles if he was lucky, he figured tensions were too high among the Rose Company to go for the violent solution. Not as the first option, at least.

1b2256e32ca428b69036e72941cf085c-700.jpg

eac995fb1aed6f61f4297302609b8638.png

The general watched in stoic silence as, one by one, her comrades left the room. Morna's piece against her had been expected; in fact, she would have been surprised if the elf had not said something of the sort. She nodded slightly towards Gamnuri, but she refrained from giving any real response.

She knew that it would take time for many of them to accept the way things were. She only wished she'd been better prepared to tell them everything. Even her closest friend had been ignorant of the situation; that was her only true regret. Eriana deserved better. Quite frankly, they all did.

When only she remained, Artemis finally stood, walking briefly towards the various maps and logs scattered on one table. Her eyes roamed over the map, easily finding the marked places where all the known dragons were supposed to be. As she thought, not a single one lived within a hundred miles of Garas Harbor. It was impossible for one to attack without warning; they should have seen it coming.

Deep in thought, she walked through a single door hidden in the side of the room that led to her own quarters. Closing it quietly behind her, she began to slowly remove the leather armor meant to protect her. It was badly damaged, charred beyond reason and stained with blood. Her clothes underneath were not much better, but they were at least intact. It mattered very little; one of the few benefits of being royalty meant that she had plenty of clothes and armor to spare.

She smirked at the thought. When she was younger, Artemis wanted nothing to do with the crown and blood magic. At first, her mother had been relatively understanding, willing to at least forego blood magic training. But one day, something changed...drastically. She never discovered what happened, no matter how hard she looked into the matter. All she knew was that, right after her younger sister was born, her mother became an entirely different person. She was no longer the kind woman who sang her daughter to sleep. She became indifferent and even cruel, forcing Artemis to learn blood magic by any means necessary.

Although blood magic could indeed be taught and learned safely, Artemis always had the sinking suspicion that her mother was trying to drive her into madness. When that didn't work, she made her general of the Hellhounds, hoping that her own daughter would be killed by monsters. It gave the princess a bitter sense of satisfaction that she proved herself to be stronger than her mother ever was. But that did nothing to erase the scars caused by so many years of torment.

A sudden high-pitched whistle forced Artemis back into the present. She turned towards the door, panic racing through her mind. Have we been attacked? Recognizing the whistle's pitch to be Axilya's, she took off running towards the Rose Company's barracks. As she turned the last corner, ready to conjure fire and shadow at a moment's notice, she stopped in her tracks, practically skidding in her leather boots.

Heat flared in her cheeks as blood rushed to her head. Fire sparked between her fingertips--a rare loss of control caused by the overwhelming fury she felt at the scene. Artemis marched forward, pushing past Gamnuri and shoving the two women apart. "How dare you draw your blade against your comrade?" she barked, her voice even but loud enough for anyone nearby to hear. Her hands shook, but Artemis ignored it as she forced Tamsyn back, the archer's head slamming against the wall with an eye watering crack.

For several long moments a strange hush settled over the scene...until an erratic metallic tapping shattered the silence. As Tamsyn's eyes seemed to focus on the general's anger contorted face, her whole body began to shake violently. It was impossible to tell whether fear, anger, or a combination of both was the cause of the tremor, but the result was the tip of the woman's sword bouncing off the stone wall.

"I- I- I was ju- just…" The attempt at an explanation faltered into nothing, and Tamsyn's eyes vanished behind grime-stained eyelids until the tremors that had been racking the knight's body subsided some. "I just wanted to-"

"I don't give a damn what this is about, Tamsyn. I never want to see something like this again. We are in the middle of a war against creatures that are stronger and faster than all of us. We cannot afford to fight between ourselves for a single moment, or people will die. Do I make myself clear?"

Once again silence descended, though this time it was heavy and tense as green eyes glared at royal ones. Also as before, the quiet was broken by the sound of steel on stone as Tamsyn's sword clattered to the floor. At the same time, a crumpled ball of parchment landed by Artemis's feet.

"People dying is what worries me." The retort was all but spat in the general's face. "Good people."

Artemis shook her head, opening her mouth to reply, when she noticed that the hall had grown colder and darker. The space returned to normal within the space of a breath, but the presence of magic would have been unmistakable to anyone with half a mind. Pain ebbed its way through the general's arms a second later.

From an outside perspective, she suddenly looked like a mere apprentice who had yet to learn control; it had been years since her magic had manifested against her will. Combined with the sudden pain in her arms, where she could sense the dark magic growing in power...it could not be a coincidence. Anxiety gnawed within her, but the general would have to deal with the possibilities later.

Instead, she stood silently for several moments, ever calculating as she noticed the piece of parchment crumbled on the floor. She did not know exactly what had transpired, but instinct told her it had something to do with that piece of parchment. Artemis picked it up, not taking her eyes off of Tamsyn except to look at its contents. Surprisingly, it was blank.

A letter.

The princess stiffened in realization, her muscles coiling with the anticipation of a fight. She forced herself to relax, as Tamsyn's statement was now made clear. Aware that they were no longer in the secure space of the war room, she stepped forward, forced to look up at her subordinate due to their difference in height. She kept her voice quiet this time, knowing that anyone could be listening.

"I can only make a few guesses as to why you would try to send a letter, Tamsyn Trelawny. You say you're worried about people dying; so am I. But if you think that telling anyone about my plans will help them, you are wrong. You will be signing their death warrant. My mother's spies are everywhere. If she catches even the smallest hint, she will not hesitate to spill blood."

Artemis paused, making a decision to prove her point through more personal means. She lifted her shirt, just enough to reveal her stomach. It was a rather horrifying sight. On her right side, the skin twisted around and around, tinged an angry pink. On the left side, three wide lines sliced through the otherwise perfect skin, deep gouges that had only just begun to pale.

The scars were unmistakable--a fatal wound on the left and a terrible burn on the right. She could not completely prove that they were both caused by her mother, but Artemis did not need to. She shoved her shirt back down quickly, her point made.

"You know absolutely nothing about what the queen will do to stay in power. And allow me to remind you that I do not make idle threats. When I said I would be forced to kill you, I meant it. I will do it, not just for my sake..but also for the sake of the people you would be damning as soon as you try to send word."

Artemis looked directly into Tamsyn's eyes, searching for any sign that the woman would try to send word regardless of her warning. Her voice became even quieter. "Please do not force me to follow through on my threat." It was as close to begging as the crown princess would ever get.

Gamnuri watched the confrontation unfold with an unpleasant amount of trepidation rising in his gut. He wasn't worried for Tamsyn, and in truth he was a little surprised the general was being lenient enough to give her a second chance. Rather, it was Artemis herself that was the source of his concern. Those two clearly unintentional displays of her magical power might have simply been caused by her exhaustion and stress… but there might be a more sinister cause for them as well, perhaps related to her interaction with the dragon's dark magic. His mind quickly skittered away from that thought, rejecting it by reflex. Of course it was just the physical and mental strain. She'd damn near died, it would've been more strange if there weren't some kind of side effect to that experience.

The dwarf sighed quietly to himself and gave Axilya a wave of the hand and a grimace that was meant to indicate that it was perhaps best to withdraw for now. Tamsyn was no longer a threat to anyone present with her sword out of reach, so there was no need for any extra hands around to keep things from getting violent. Gamnuri put that suggestion into action for himself immediately afterward, turning round and heading away to allow Artemis to handle the trouble as she saw fit and Axilya to make her own choice about whether to stay or go.

The Lieutenant gave the dwarf a nod as he excused himself, taking half a step back and clasping her hands loosely behind her back. As his footsteps retreated from the hallway, her impassive gaze drifted to the General and the trembling Tamsyn, blinking once, twice. She remained still, waiting for something, anything - an order, a dismissal, a word or small gesture that might indicate if she should stay or if her part in the matter was concluded.

Pressed against the wall, Tamsyn seemed to flinch slightly everytime the general breathed on her. At her sides her hands were clenched so tightly into fists, the veins of the woman's arms stood out all the way to the elbow, and her eyes had closed again. "I made blood oaths to my people long before I made a vow to you. Do what you must, just…" Here the voice that was so full of bravado faltered slightly as a slight pleading tone crept in. "use a blade."

The general's shoulders dropped, disappointment and hurt weighing them down. She had hoped to reason with Tamsyn, but it seemed there would be only one option. "I can grant you that, at least." she murmured quietly.

Artemis glanced over her shoulder at the sound of Gamnuri's retreating footsteps. Ever the soldier, however, Lieutenant Axilya still stood there, awaiting orders. Quickly Artemis turned back to look at Tamsyn, hiding her conflicted expression as she wondered how this had come to such a terrible ending. "You may go and prepare for the journey to Arvena, Lieutenant. I can handle everything from here."

Without waiting for the elf's response, she unsheathed the long dagger she almost always kept with her. It had been a gift from her mentor--sharp and effective, etched with runes to keep it from becoming dull or breaking. Although she had resolved to kill anyone that threatened her plans, Artemis paused. Despite their differences, the general respected Tamsyn, even liked her. But she could not risk even a moment of weakness, especially now. The princess was nothing if not true to her word, and she never made empty threats.

She turned the blade in her hand, deciding to make the execution as painless as possible. Officially speaking, Tamsyn should be granted a court martial, but the general simply could not risk discovery. No, this would have to be done here and now. Artemis knew it was necessary, but still...she hesitated.

What are you waiting for? Kill her. She betrayed you. A voice whispered from behind, soft as the air. Artemis froze, her eyes widening as she felt something behind her. That voice...she had heard it before. She whirled around, slicing the dagger through the air in a killing blow. But there was no one. It was still just her and Tamsyn in the hall.

Why are you hesitating? She needs to die. The throbbing pain in her arms started to return now, and the hallway grew cold. Her whole body began to shake, a primal fear completely taking over.

"Show yourself!" she finally snapped, ripping the very shadow away from the walls. Light shone brightly, illuminating every speck of dust around them. The presence remained, an unmistakable feeling that assaulted her senses. But her eyes deceived her, as she could not see any sign that they were being watched.

The voice laughed, the sound echoing inside her own head. Artemis then realized it was exactly that--inside her own head. She began to recall lessons about the madness of blood mages; it always began with voices that no one else could hear.

Do it! Kill her! The voice screeched at her. The pain in her arms sharply increased, forcing a cry from her lips. But the pain was not what scared her. It was the complete helplessness she felt as she watched her arm move of its own accord, preparing to strike against Tamsyn. Her arms shook with the effort to stop the motion, but it was as if she had lost control over her own body.

Just as suddenly as the unknown presence took control, it disappeared entirely. The general fell to the floor, shaking uncontrollably as she stared at the ground. Her dagger had fallen from her grasp, but she didn't even bother to pick it up. Hot tears streamed down her face, though she couldn't remember when she started crying.

When Artemis finally looked up, she nearly screamed. Several feet away, four figures stood passively, each one emanating a powerful aura. She recognized one aura as magical, but the rest were completely foreign. The primal fear she felt before returned, though this time it was more in awe than absolute terror.

The figures themselves were hard to describe. The left figure was shrouded in a mixture of light and dark to the point of being indiscernible, but two distinct eyes peered out at Tamsyn and Artemis. The second seemed animal-like to Artemis, but it was constantly changing. Its fur changed colors, while its body changed shape. The effect was nauseating to see, but she almost couldn't look away.

The third was the most...normal out of the four. The figure appeared almost human, but the look in his eyes belied an ancient and unfathomable existence. The final figure--and also the one with the magical aura--seemed to resemble a living flame with a thousand colors, blisteringly hot and bright.

Artemis remained on the floor, completely frozen. She had no idea if Tamsyn could see these figures, but she didn't dare look away from them to check. She dared not speak, either, for fear that they would retaliate. Instinct told her that, if these beings chose to, they could kill both women with barely any effort.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of fearful silence, the figures spoke. They spoke as one, their voices mingling together into the most beautiful sound she'd ever heard. Not even the best instruments could compare. And yet, the sound only heightened her awe and fear.

"We can only do this much for you, Artemis Carrow. They will be back, and we cannot return as we are now. You must reach Arvena, but be warned. Chaos is growing, and they will try to stop you. You and your fellow mortals must restore the Balance that has been destroyed before it is too late. Order is diminished, but she is not gone. You must find a way to revive her; only then can Balance return to Eymia."

The figures began to fade, their melodic voice dwindling. Artemis could only stare, completely dumbfounded. What the hell?

Just before they disappeared completely, the figure shrouded in light and dark spoke in a feminine voice. "Spare this one. It is not her time to die, and you will need all of your allies. You cannot succeed without them."

With that, they disappeared completely, as if they had never been there in the first place. Artemis finally looked up at Tamsyn, her hands still shaking despite her efforts. Picking up her dagger, she got back on her feet, the feminine figure's words repeating in her mind.

It is not her time to die.

As for the archer, she was slumped on the floor, staring wide eyed at the spot where the four figures had been. Whatever internal force had kept her calm on the precipice of death, its limit had seemingly been reached and surpassed. Her breathing was rough. The tremor which she almost had under control returned to its full strength, and a long string of snot hung from her nose.

It took the woman several moments to notice that Artemis was back on her feet. But when she did, her gaze swung magnetically to the dagger; green eyes wet and full of fear as she tried to crawl away from the general.

Artemis stared at Tamsyn as she desperately tried to put distance between them. It took her several moments to realize that time does, in fact, still move on after such a harrowing experience. Shaking her head, she placed her dagger back in its sheath then crossed her arms to keep them from shaking for a moment longer.

The gesture was a peace offering, given the woman's obvious terror. Guilt gnawed its way through her core, and she shuddered in memory of the voice that tried to compel her to kill Tamsyn. Even though she thought herself justified only moments before, Artemis now felt almost...tainted.

"Did you...did that just happen?" she asked tentatively, her voice unusually quiet and small. The general's mind was still reeling over what she saw and heard, but she needed to know that she wasn't the only one who saw those figures. If Tamsyn saw them, too, then maybe I'm not going mad after all.

The redhead wiped at her face with her arm before slowly nodding. As the general's dagger had been sheathed, Tamsyn had given up supporting herself at all and now lay flat on the floor, somehow looking much smaller than she was. Her eyes actively avoided Artemis's gaze and, for the most part, seemed fixed on the ceiling. "Wh- What… What happens now?" Even in the corridor, these words were hard to hear.

Artemis did not answer her for several moments, her mind racing with various possibilities. Those beings, whatever they were, they had not seemed...mortal. Her thoughts drifted to Gamnuri, who had always been rather shameless about his religious fanaticism. She recalled his various rants about the gods. The general, along with the rest of the Rose Company, had always passed off his words as those of an antiquated belief system. She'd always thought that, even if the gods were real, they took no interest in their lives.

But now...she wasn't so sure. Artemis could hardly say for certain whether they had just encountered gods, but she did know that they were unlike anything she had ever seen. And they had known her name...and where they were planning to go. Even more troubling, their presence seemed to be directly correlated with…whatever it was that had tried to control her only moments before. They mentioned something about Balance, Order, and Chaos...but none of it made sense to her.

For now, the questions in her mind would have to wait. The general turned her attention back to Tamsyn, painfully aware of the woman's fear. Her gaze wandered over to the crumbled piece of parchment on the floor, which she must have dropped during the whole ordeal. She picked it up once more, turning it over in her hands as she contemplated their predicament.

Tamsyn's resolve was admirable but treacherous, and she seemed to willfully ignore the danger she'd be causing for everyone--not just Artemis herself. Or perhaps she truly believed sending a letter to her people would actually help them, rather than place them at an even greater risk. Regardless, Artemis could not let it happen.

But she could not ignore what she'd been told. Even though it was quite possible--even likely--that the four figures had malicious intentions, something told Artemis to trust their words. The feeling came from a deeper instinct, though logic screamed at her that sparing Tamsyn would be foolish.

It was only after she recalled the feeling of seeing her own body move at the command of someone else that she finally came to a decision. Above all else, she knew that voice wanted her to give in to violence by killing Tamsyn. Even at the mere thought, the dark magic in her body seemed to swell in anticipation, as if it hungered for the traitor's blood. Regardless of the meaning behind the sudden appearance of the "gods," Artemis knew that she could not give into the voice's compulsion.

So she decided to let Tamsyn live.

Without hesitation, the general burned the piece of parchment to ash before reaching a hand out towards the archer. "You heard them. It's not time for you to die yet." She paused, waiting for Tamsyn to--hopefully--take her hand as a sign of truce.

It took some time but slowly Tamsyn used her arms to push herself off the floor and up the wall before reaching out and taking the general's hand, using it to pull herself fully upright. Tamsyn had never exactly had a tidy appearance, but even by her standards she knew she looked a mess. Her mouth hung half open, stray hairs plastered her face, there were trails under her eyes left by tears, and snot bubbled from her nose.

"What are your orders, general?" This question was asked at a volume barely louder than Tamsyn's previous question. The woman still couldn't seem to meet the general's eyes, staring off to the side into nothing.

Artemis did not fail to notice the archer's refusal to meet her eyes, and guilt once again twisted into her gut. Pursing her lips, she took a few steps back, giving Tamsyn space to breathe. "Prepare for the journey to Arvena. We leave before sundown." She turned, deciding to leave the woman be for now. She would tell Commander Griel to restrict Tamsyn's access to the messenger birds in the fort. That would have to be enough.

Glancing back at the redhead, Artemis paused as one final thought occurred to her. "Tell no one about what you saw, not until I tell you otherwise." Until she was more certain about what they had seen, it was better to keep the information under control. With that, the general walked away, leaving Tamsyn to her own devices.

When Artemis finally reached the war room, she nearly collapsed into a chair, spent from the adrenaline. Despite her exhaustion, she only allowed herself a few moments to rest before forcing herself to stand once more.

The general wasted no time packing her things. Mentally, she catalogued the necessary supplies: extra clothes, spare set of leather armor, her bow and quiver of arrows, silver and gold, as well as woolen blankets. After changing into new clothes and armor, she left her quarters, making her way through the fort to the kitchens. They would need rations for the journey ahead.

On her way there, she passed by Commander Griel in the courtyard, taking the opportunity to relay her orders regarding Tamsyn's access to the ravens. He listened to her in silence, but the expression in his eyes betrayed the questions racing through his mind. Artemis ignored it, trusting Rolan to follow her orders regardless.

A sudden shout from one of the guards grabbed her attention. A moment later, the entrance to the fort opened, metal and wood creaking loudly from the effort. Artemis breathed a sigh of relief, her lips forming a rare smile when she saw the reason behind the commotion. A horse carrying a familiar elven woman trotted through the gates, coming to a stop in front of the general and Commander Griel.

"Lady Thessalia, I did not expect you to return so soon. What news from Laeva?" Artemis asked, rather glad to see a member of the Rose Company who knew nothing about her blood magic--yet.

Thessalia rolled her shoulders back as she finally entered through the gates, looking forward to a short rest before she was thrown into the turmoil that seemed to always accompany the Rose Company. She dismounted her horse, fondly named Fleetfoot, allowing him to be led away for food and water.

"Laeva continues to refuse our assistance." The sigh in Thessa's voice was evident as the days of diplomacy with her uncle began to wear at her patience. Her aunt had been much more receptive to her suggestions of compromise while her uncle simply wanted new information on her allies. However, Thessa's attention was drawn instead to her general as a frown tugged at her lips. "Are you alright, General?"

The princess seemed tired, and that was only what she could surmise on the surface. Weeks away from the company often left her anxiously wondering how they were faring without her, and her concern only multiplied when it came to the general.

"I hope that I didn't miss much during my travels." She looked at Commander Griel, her dark brows furrowing.

Artemis nodded in reply, unsurprised that King Theodas remained stubborn in his ways. In his thousand years as king, he had never been known for compromise, and it was no secret that he despised receiving help from others--especially non-elves. Still, it was a shame that he continued to put his own people at risk by refusing her aid. She had thought that Thessalia might be able to persuade him as his niece, but alas…

Shaking her head slightly, the general forced a smile when she heard Thessa's question. "There is not much time to brief you, Lady Thessalia, but I will give you the important details. A dragon attacked Garas Harbor; we were able to defeat it but at a great cost. I will fill you in on the specifics later.

"For now, gather supplies and then meet back here in the courtyard. We leave at sundown for Arvena, and it is vital that we get there as soon as possible."
Artemis recalled what the supposed gods had told her. You must reach Arvena, but be warned. Chaos is growing, and they will try to stop you. She still had no idea what it all meant. Hopefully, they would find answers in the famed City of Riches.

Thessa blinked at the quick briefing, but nodded quickly despite her confusion at the statement 'great cost'. Had someone fallen in her absence? What had been sacrificed for their victory? Her lips parted to inquire further, but the princess was correct. If they left at sundown, she would need to get her things together. She placed a foot back, her dark hair bobbing as she gave the princess a low bow, followed by a nod to Commander Griel.

"I'll go prepare then." She raised her head and began her brisk walk towards her quarters. Her steps paused for a second as a bit of anxiety broke through her otherwise collected exterior. "And let me know if you need anything, General. I've found that a steaming cup of tea and a quick nap can improve one's health exponentially."

She spared only one glance over her shoulder before she continued walking.

Artemis nodded, giving Thessa only a slightly forced smile in response. She waited patiently until the elf disappeared from her sight before turning to Commander Griel, who once again failed to prevent his own questioning expression. She shook her head, making it clear that he was better off not knowing. Rolan huffed but said nothing.

"Send ravens to the Grand Marshals. Do not mention anything about the dragon attack or our mission to Arvena. Simply tell them to come to the fort as quickly as possible, even if it means abandoning a mission. Understood?"

"It will be done, Your Highness." Commander Griel bowed low before turning on his heel, heading straight for the fort's dovecote. Artemis, on the other hand, went the opposite direction towards the kitchens.

It didn't take long to acquire military rations, though Artemis still wasn't sure if it would quite be enough if a blizzard trapped them in the mountains. It would have to do; there were enough packs for each member of the company to carry one--in addition to all their other supplies. And a couple extra for Vultog.

With an hour to spare before sundown, the general decided to follow Lady Thessalia's advice, returning to her quarters to brew herself a cup of tea. Unfortunately, it did little to actually calm the anxiety that weighed upon her mind. Too many unknowns were before her.

The four "gods" and the malicious voice, not to mention the illusionist at Garas Harbor with an army of insane blood mages. On top of that, their whole mission to Arvena was based on the unknown, starting with whatever Eriana had learned. She had not yet spoken with her closest friend about this whole damned situation, and Artemis couldn't help but feel a sense of dread at the inevitable conversation they would have.

Shaking her head, she downed the rest of her tea and gathered the supplies she'd prepared, noticing that the sky outside her window was beginning to darken. It was time to leave.

The general arrived in the courtyard before everyone else. The packs of rations had already been prepared by one of the fort's soldiers, left ready near the center. All that remained was to wait for the rest of the Rose Company.

They watched the human princess from the shadows, their lips curling into a smile. These pathetic mortals, unknowingly giving them more and more power. Before, the "Hellhounds" had been such a nuisance. But ever since this meddlesome human fell into their trap, they no longer worried if these mortals would interfere. The dragon was not truly meant to spring the trap when it did, but it no longer mattered.

Yes, letting the beast die had been worth it, for everything was falling into place now. "Artemis" would soon be under their control, and the rest of them would scatter like pitiful rats without their leader. They might even catch a few more along the way. The magic-hating woman and the cursed orc were particularly interesting...so many wonderful possibilities.

The interference of the others had been a minor setback--one that would never happen again. They chuckled, remembering the terror on the mortal princess's face when they started to take control. The more she lost control of her magic, the faster their influence spread. It would not be long before she would be unable to resist their commands. And when that time came, the others would not be there to stop them.

But there was one thing that concerned them. The other four said that Order was not completely destroyed, but surely that was not true. After all, they had watched her die, and it was her death that finally set them free. Perhaps it was a lie to distract them.

Or perhaps not.

They could not take the risk. If Order was truly alive, then they needed to accelerate their plans. It would take away much of their amusement, but ultimate victory was far more important. They turned from their prey, taking only a step before finding themselves hundreds of miles away in Evanis--the home of their favorite puppet.

They stood behind an elaborate throne of wood and gold, inlaid with precious gems. In front of them stood a court bustling with humans, elves, and and even the occasional dwarf. There were no orcs or merpeople to be seen, not in Queen Adira's court. Some sort of celebration was going on; they did not care what for. No, they were here for a very specific purpose.

Unheard and unseen, they leaned forward, invisible lips only inches from the queen's ear. She sat on her throne, looking regal but bored. As soon as they began to speak, however, she straightened. Her pupils dilated, and her lips parted slightly. Anyone who noticed the sudden change in the queen's demeanor quickly dismissed it, assuming that she'd had one too many glasses of wine.

Your daughter is trying to overthrow you. She's plotting against you even now, turning your beloved people against you. She will try to kill you. Send three assassins through the mountain pass to Arvena. She goes there to bargain with the Miser King. You must stop her.

Queen Adira stood suddenly, and the clamor of the court ceased in response. Her face was pale, and anger contorted her expression. If one looked closely, her shadow seemed to grow a bit darker. Turning on her heel, the queen left the throne room, and the celebration soon continued without her. Her queensguard followed silently, their dark armor reflecting sunlight and then torchlight as they moved deeper and deeper into the bowels of the castle.

She paused before a door made out of obsidian, seemingly carved from the very stone of the earth. She held up a hand, signaling her guard to stay put as she opened and closed it behind her. Unfathomable darkness surrounded her for several moments before white fire lit several torches along the walls, revealing what appeared to be a large dungeon. Five cells were on each side, all of them occupied except one.

In the center of the dungeon stood a large cauldron filled to the brim with a dark liquid. A bowl stood ready next to it. The queen filled it, not caring at all when the liquid splashed on her silk gown. She worked in a hazed frenzy, approaching the first occupied cell on her left. If one looked inside, all they would see were three collars connected to a chain, hanging in the air like some magician's act. Opening the cell, the queen approached the collars and held out the bowl, waiting patiently for the beast to appear.

It growled first, low rumbles that were silenced when the creature noticed the presence of its master behind the queen. The cerberus appeared then, morphing out of shadow and air to reveal its three gaping maws. It hungered for blood, but it knew the mortal queen was off-limits. Instead, it focused on the offered bowl, recognizing the scent instantly. The blood from the cauldron that had always smelled so tempting...it was finally being offered to the beast.

The cerberus leaned forward, rolling out one of its red tongues. The other two heads howled in response, begging for a taste. This put the beast into a frenzy, and the queen responded by tossing the blood onto the three heads. It was a rather terrifying sight as the three heads immediately thrashed about, each fighting the other for a chance to get another taste of blood.

When the beast finally began to calm, the queen moved forward, unlocking each collar quickly before skittering away. The beast looked at its invisible master, waiting for final permission to seek out the scent of their new target. The master nodded. The cerberus disappeared with a howl, morphing into shadow itself.

Queen Adira repeated the process twice more with two other cerberi. By the time she was done, her light blue gown looked purple. She hardly seemed to notice as she finally left the dungeon, and her queensguard made no comment as they followed her out of the depths of the castle to her quarters. When the queen finally came out of her daze, she wondered how she had made it to the baths without even realizing it, but she eventually concluded that she drank too much wine.

All the while, they had simply watched, an amused smile on their face. Satisfied that their plans were now in motion, they left their puppet queen to her own devices. Even if Order was alive, she could do nothing to stop them now.

Indeed, the Rose Company would never reach Arvena.​
collaboration with Applo, Jorick, Starlighter, and Jinx!​

VULTOG

Vultog breathed heavily, crimson smeared over his hands. On the table before him, the water in the bowl was stained a vivid crimson while wicker shards floated across the surface. It had taken the better part of an hour, but the splinters had all been dug out, and the dulled pain had been a welcome distraction from the events of today. Still, the small incisions where they had been removed continued to ooze blood, and he knew from experience that they would reopen if he had to fight. As such, he grabbed a spare linen sheet from his pack and sliced it into makeshift bandages. There wasn't enough to hide the red stains, but there was enough to keep his palms from slickening. After that, it was time to pack the essentials. Battleaxe. Spare battleaxe. Warhammer for heavy armour. 6 thick-bladed knives. Armour. Then the less important stuff. Spare clothes, coins, tent in case of heavy rain… the rhythmic methodical movements helped Vultog shut out all else, all the little whispered doubts. He trusted the General. They would go to Arvena and heal her. It was the right decision. They'd pull the dark parts of these nations out into the open by their own entrails. He repeated these thoughts as a mantra through the whole process of packing, though it didn't shake the lingering doubts in his mind.

And what of you, former bandit and murderer? What right do you have to judge? A quiet nasty voice whispered to him - his own. And as much as he pushed it aside, it hardened his resolve. He was ashamed of what he had been, and without the assistance of the Hellhounds that would be where he would return to - a mad berserker driven to rampage to distract from the pain of his eye. As much as he had doubts, worries, frustrations...he also had nothing else to go to if he left. Maybe they were making a mistake, but better to be near the General than far in that instance. He just had to put these nagging doubts aside.

Sighing heavily, he headed to the courtyard by the quartermaster's office, where he left several coins to cover the damage he had wrought in the training grounds. He'd left enough destruction in his wake. This was the only place he could be anything different...right?

As he headed into the courtyard, he saw the General waiting with a pile of supplies. As was customary, Vultog shouldered 3 of the packs, throwing a crisp salute to the General and standing at the ready for the rest. Questions welled up in his mind, doubts and hopes of reassurance, but he forced them aside. No matter what was said, only actions could determine would transpire. Better to have purpose than to stand paralysed with doubt. Fear led to weakness, weakness led to treachery. Rubbing his left eye absentmindedly, he stood in the evening chill. This was the right choice. It was.

5xadE01.png

Returning with the General and Jakob had been only the beginning of what Taria would guessed would be an arduous time that would only continue for the forseable future. The tension amongst the Rose Company was thick and she could see the expressions on her companions faces. The blood magic would not be forgotten, and truth be told, she could see why it would cause such contention. In fact, she very would could have been one of those frowning in anger if she had already been weary and brought to the edge by her, Jakob and the General's escape for their lives.

She was sure Commander Eriana would be taking care of the General, so once she was off Prongs, Taria stole away to be by herself for a the little free moments she had, slipping off Prong's back, careful to land properly and not aggravate her weak knee. She stretched out, feeling the tension in her muscles- it seemed her body was still prepared for anything unprecedented to happen. She shook her head and a tired smile turned her lips up the slightest bit as she reached over to pat the battle unicorn's neck. "Thank you," she murmured. If it hadn't been for his odd behaviour, she was unsure if they would have had the sense to bail when they had. "I'm sorry, you need your rest too, but let's head back to Fort Siane first."

Prongs nickered and butted his head against her hand before standing still, waiting. Taria patted him a couple of more times before pulling herself back up onto his back. "Let's get going."

***​

Fort Siane brought no rest. Taria had known that the General would have to address the subject of blood magic being used, but she did not expect treason against the Queen. That being said... she understood. This was something her uncle Gerrant feared for Oris, for Kiallan in general. He too didn't deem King Dorian fit to rule, but the problems of Oris themselves were enough that he had more important matters to take care of. But if he could... would he? That was a question that continued to race through Taria's mind as she took her leave from the rest and headed to her quarters. Blood magic, a puppet queen, disunity among the Rose Company. Morna had made her disgust open for all to see, which probably made her less dangerous than the ones who were keeping things within.

Who to trust? And who trusted her?

She was busy packing up her gear when on her desk she spotted a sealed letter. Blinking in surprise, she headed over and picked it up, ready to break the seal and peruse the contents. That however was interrupted when she heard the loud whistle. Quickly stuffing the letter in her satchel, she headed out of her room in search of the commotion, though she stopped quickly and kept herself to the shadows when she saw the General, Tamsyn, Axilya and Gamnuri. What had happened? It was hard to tell from here, but she could see the sword in Tamsyn's hand.

Best to stay away for the time being, she decided, slinking back towards her room to pick up the rest of her gear. She could only hope cool heads prevailed, otherwise it would be a long and tedious journey to Arvena.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Joan, Rae and RJS
Falles had departed from the rest of the Hellhounds some time before they had arrived at Fort Siane, some time before the Crown Princess awoke. He did this without warning or announcement, for the Commander had greater worries than a single tardy monster hunter -- indeed, he'd simply reconvene with them on the path to Arvena -- and he felt no obligation to inform any of his comrades. Certain things needed to be done in silence, kept even from Eriana. He bore an obligation to the Hellhounds, yes, but never a single Hellhound. That distinction, as Falles understood it, was the very essence of duty.

So it was for duty that Falles had returned to where they had left the survivors. He approached the mass of ruined buildings on the back of the Swarm-Capricious, a thousand wings that carried him through the skies. As he drew nearer, he bid the Swarm to descend and disperse. What was to come next required discretion, and not the sight of a man flying on the back of butterflies. He would ascertain, firstly, if details of Artemis' 'happening' had been compromised. Then, if necessary, he would silence those who needed to be silenced. For all eternity.

Falles was not a paranoid man. He was simply thorough. Sometimes, even Falles wondered if there was a difference. He stepped over rubble and past old men with crippled legs lying in rest. He averted his gaze as the parched and the famished stared at him, wide-eyed and with the black of smoke caked on their cheeks. He questioned the coherent and incoherent alike, probing them for all they had seen. If they had seen the Princess who glowed white then the black of the dragon's flame, and then grey. Hours past, and it seemed that they had not.

You are a fool, Falles Sumarvil. Those who run from beasts and destruction do not oft look into the face of it. Sensible men, sensible women. They look away.

"You think that's amazing?" a girl said, showing off a newly mastered coin trick, "I saw someone jump into a dragon's fire! She glowed white and it was-."

But a child…

Falles gripped the pole of his spear, "Girl! May I have a word?"

There must have been something about the way he had said it, or the way he looked at her. The girl's friend scurried away, tossing the coin back at the child. The girl herself stood still, staring back at the man with solemn death in his eyes and a spear in his hand. She stared back with a curious interest.

… a child is not sensible.

The girl gulped before she spoke, "Hello, mister! Do you want to see a magic trick?"

Falles approached her, and his shadow engulfed her small, diminutive form. It felt uncomfortable, and he knelt so that they could speak on level terms. "I'm afraid not, child. I was… interested to hear your story. Could you tell it for me?"

She could, and so she did. A farmer's daughter. A wagon into the city before the dragon had struck. Stuck beneath the wooden debris of a ruined stable. Edge of city. Peering out. A woman glowing. Leaping into darkness, unafraid. The red of tears had not yet died on her eyes, and still the child's clarity was worth commending.

What she's seen, and what she knows, but what she does not know she knows. What is that worth?

Death. It was worth death, of course it was. Fales tightened his grip on his spear, and felt ridiculous at the gesture. This was a child. Just a child. He was not a paranoid man. He was thorough, and he was sensible.

"Child," he began, letting the spear fall to his side, "I have a trade I would like to make with you."

"What do you want to give me?"

"Wouldn't you like to know what you'd be giving me, first?"

She shrugged.

"I would like for you to never tell that story again. Not once. Not even to yourself in your sleep."

"But that's not fair," she whined, "it's a good story. The best story I'll ever have."

He placed his hand on her shoulder, though he found it unusual, "That's why you can decide what I give you."

She whined some more, and she pouted, and she paced and stomped the ground and made a grand show of it for Falles before eventually she was convinced she had the greatest idea of all. "I want you to give me a better story."

"I'm sorry, child. I don't have a good story. Perhaps I never will."

She glared at him, "Why not? You can tell me that."

It was a rare thing, but Falles smiled, and bowed his head in what was almost admiration. "It is a special kind of person, that can tell a special kind of story, child. An excellent storyteller -- a storyteller like you -- they keep a drawing in their head, and they keep it with them their entire life like a talisman, and all the stories they tell thereafter, even the ones that tell of something other than the drawing, are a wondrous thing, I promise you. But it has to be the right drawing. Like a white woman diving into fires black."

"What's the drawing in your mind?"

"My father was a farmer that lost everything to a banshee. I see him hanging from a tree over the village grey. No one has bothered to cut him down, and through rains and storms, the branch that holds him does not break. He is there, and he is still. Who could possibly tell a good story of stillness? That is why I am a man who has not one good story, child."

"What happened to the banshee?"

"Nothing worth telling of, I'm afraid."

They exchanged long glances, and at long last the child spoke, "I won't tell anyone the story again, mister. After all, I have a good, strong drawing in my head!"

He thought that a wonderful and sensible thing indeed, and left the girl where she was. A child was silenced, and the men and women were sensible. He could leave the ruins tonight, and meet the Hellhounds on the path to Arvena. All was as it should be. Yet as he stepped a single step past the ruined borders of a ruined city, he saw a lady who mouthed silent nothings to herself, gesticulating like a mummer. Her eyes were wide, and ringed from sleepless nights, and a flame danced in her head that was madness. She gave those silent nothings voice soon enough.

"... the white woman… a dragon's breath…"

Falles tightened his grip on his spear, and turned back to follow her.

When at long last he began his trek to the Hellhounds, her blood had dried upon his spear. Falles was a thorough man.

Morna Vaile

Morna sat cross-legged on the floor in her room, eyes closed and one hand resting loosely on one knee. The other was busy twirling a blue feather back and forth, pulled from its usual place in her hair. Some days it felt like those feathers were the only things keeping her on her feet and moving forward, and today was certainly one of them. They were all she had left of her previous life, but they were not exactly a happy memento. The feathers had been the last thing Vanir sent home before the devastation of Kiallan by the monster called the Reaper. Where time wore everything else down, those lovely enchanted feathers remained marvelously vibrant. They reminded her of why she fought: to avenge her loved ones as best she could before falling and joining them in death.

The fight had gone on much longer than expected, and it was taking its toll. It used to be easy to wear her mourning mask at all times, to suppress her emotions and focus entirely on doing whatever it took to kill the next monster, but now it was becoming a struggle. It felt like she was failing to uphold her vow to live for nothing but vengeance, like she was betraying Vanir and Tamirel every time she let that firm control slip. Morna felt that pain like a dull knife in the gut, twisting and twisting and twisting by never managing to cut anything to end her agony. What did it matter if the General used blood magic? That confrontation had done absolutely nothing to get her closer to killing more monsters, so it was utterly pointless in the end. She needed to remain dedicated to her cause from now on, she knew that, but she also knew it was going to be damned hard.

Wouldn't it be better to just be done with it?

Morna sighed and slumped forward, letting her eyes open to stare down at the floor. It was far from the first time she'd had such a thought. Pushing it away seemed to get harder every time. That was just another twist of the metaphorical knife in her gut, another form of weakness that spat on the memory of her son and her husband. She adjusted her gaze to stare at the feather instead, slowly spinning round and round one way, then back the other between her fingers. Of course she couldn't end her own life. She had to die fighting, and fighting hard, or else... Morna didn't know what exactly would happen, but some primitive and superstitious part of her mind was certain it would mean there would be no reunion with her loved ones in death, for they would shun her and cast her into darkness for failing to keep her word. There was no guarantee that such a reunion was even possible, of course, but she needed that shred of hope to keep herself going and she wouldn't dare do anything to let that pitiful flame gutter out.

With a heavy sigh, Morna pushed herself up to her feet and put stuck the feather back into her hair with the other two. She wasn't sure how much time had passed while she sat there silently castigating herself, but she could hear people moving about with some urgency nearby. That was as good a sign as any that it was time to go, so she grabbed her things and hurried out to the courtyard. Only a few people were present, one of them being the General. Morna paid no heed to any of them, holding her face still and expressionless and her eyes focused anywhere but those other people. She grabbed a pack of supplies from the pile and slung it over her shoulder, then hurried off to tend to her horse. There was no need to brush him down or inspect his hooves or feed him, because the stablehands would have taken care of all that, but it gave her something mindless to do while they waited for the others to arrive. That was all the reason she needed for it, so she set to work immediately, trying and for once succeeding at keeping all her dark and stormy thoughts at bay for a while.

Gamnuri Balgron

As soon as he got back to his room, Gamnuri did what he always did after getting back from a fight: he prayed. It was rarely anything specific, just gratitude generally directed toward the gods for everything they had done and continued to do, even the less than pleasant things. After all, who was he to look down upon the grand design of the gods simply because it inconvenienced mortals? Monsters, famines, disasters, all of it was likely part of some greater plan that he simply could not understand from his limited perspective, therefore he had no right to critique it. Sometimes he understood why others found him crazy for his beliefs, and that amused thought generally came as he was winding his way down this exact line of thought about why the gods might allow horrible things to happen.

Rather than keeping this day's prayers entirely verbal, Gamnuri decided to go with the full ritual he'd cobbled together from his readings in the Consilium. His talk with Eriana had felt like a sign that he was moving in the right direction to get his answers, so it seemed appropriate to give the gods the best worship he had to offer. He cleared off the section of the stone floor he'd used for this practice many times in the past and got down on his knees to do it once more and grabbed a familiar length of wood to get it done. It had at one point been an old and worn staff used in the training yard, but after one end got cracked he had appropriated it for his own uses rather than letting it be thrown into a fire. One end was blackened by fire already, but Gamnuri went over it with one finger blazing with magic at the tip, charring the wood well enough to ensure there would be enough to scrape off for his uses.

He began by using the charred wood to draw a line on the stone floor as he spoke a dedication to the first of the gods. "Cateus, heart of Eymia." Gamnuri made another line, angled downward from the end of the first. "Sinera, giver of life and magic." Another line, and another, and a final line to close off the pentagon. "Idia, lady of death. Pamus, bestower of free will. Fasion, keeper of order and opposition." With their names spoken, he began drawing a five-pointed star inside the pentagon, with each tip touching the center of one of the lines. Normally he would give a quick declaration of gratitude as he did so, but today he drew the star more slowly and added more to the usual line. "Thank you for all you have given us, and all that you continue to give us. I believe I'm getting closer to understanding whatever it is you might allow a mortal to understand about your nature, but I'm still so far from actual answers. It's frustrating, but I'll keep working anyway. I don't know if it was actually one of you who spoke to Commander Eriana, but I hope that was the case. If so, thank you for your guidance. If not..." The dwarf frowned down at the completed symbol, one of many ancient emblems of worship he'd found in dusty old tomes, and let out a heavy sigh. "If not, then any help you could manage to help us out of whatever trouble is afoot would be greatly appreciated."

It wasn't much of a prayer, Gamnuri had to admit, but it wasn't like anyone else here in Fort Siane was going to offer anything better so it would have to do. Sometimes he'd wipe away these soot drawings once he was done, but today he left it. Maybe if the gods were paying attention they'd appreciate the gesture meant to make up for the rambling prayer for exactly that, rather than a product of laziness. Not that he expected anything to change either way, of course, but sometimes faith meant just trying your best and hoping it worked out. Gamnuri took his time packing up for a longer excursion, trying to come up with something better to say to the gods in order to maybe justify a second ritual, but he failed spectacularly. There was nothing for it but to shrug and leave things as they were, so he did exactly that and headed out to join whoever else had already gathered.

There weren't a ton of folks out and waiting to go, but he did spot Morna heading for the stables. That was a pretty good sign, he supposed, because it meant she wasn't going to stay behind and do something stupid like report on recent events to the Queen. It was impossible to miss Vultog's towering presence, of course, but he looked less than pleased about something and had bandages wrapped around his hands, so Gamnuri decided to leave him to his brooding. Instead he grabbed one of the packs of rations that had been prepared and shoved it into his bag as he approached Artemis. A quick look was all it took to know that something was weighing on her mind, but he wasn't about to come out directly and ask about what had been done with Tamsyn. Instead he just gave her a proper salute and a respectful "General," then took up a spot nearby that wouldn't infringe on her personal space but was close enough to act in case... Well, there were any number of things that could happen, from the General passing out again due to whatever had happened to her arms to someone trying to attack her for the use of blood magic. If anything unpleasant was going to happen, Gamnuri wanted to be at hand to handle it if need be, just in case.

As the sound of Artemis's footsteps faded into the background noise of life going on in the fort, Tamsyn stared vacantly at the spot where she had last seen the woman who had been mere moments away from sending her to whatever world came after this one. She felt numb. Detached. Adrift. It was as if her soul had shrunk away from her flesh. From almost as early as she could remember, Tamsyn had known that her community had to come first. She had always justified her actions, her place in the Hellhounds even, by the fact that keeping the queendom peaceful benefited her people as much as anyone else. Now though, through stupidity, carelessness and cowardice she had failed to warn her people of looming a threat. On top of that, she owed her life to the woman who was the cause of the danger. Part of Tamsyn wanted to scream and shout and rage at herself, the general and the world. Another just wanted her to curl into a ball and cry until everything stopped. This internal conflict meant that the red-haired archer stood rooted to the spot for no short amount of time until the feeling of something warm and wet running between her shoulder blades snapped her out of her emotional stupor.

Reaching over her shoulder, Tamsyn wiped at the mysterious liquid with her hand. When her fingers returned to her vision, they dripped with a bright red liquid. It took her several seconds of blank staring to realize the substance was blood. Her blood. Gingerly, the archer reached her other hand over till she was touching the back of her neck before slowly following the warm slick trail of blood up and into her hair. The whole back of her head was sore from bouncing of the corridor's wall but after several moments of finger tip exploration through the slick locks, a sharp stinging sensation told Tamsyn she had found the offending wound. Pressing a hand down on the wound, the archer let instinct and habit take over as she started to move towards her chambers picking up her sword as she did so, leaving darkening red stain behind on the wall.

Once in her chambers, Tamsyn grabbed a half empty bottle from the bookshelf next to her bed and pulled out the stopper with her teeth. The smell of its contents made the inside of Tamsyn's nose burn. Kneeling down next to her rooms chamber pot, the archer took a couple of deep swigs of the liquid and then quickly, while her face was still screwed up from the burning in her throat, leaned forward and slowly poured it over the back of her head. The stinging sensation made Tamsyn's eyes fill with tears but she kept going until the stream of liquor faded to erratic drops. Dropping the bottle Tamsyn blindly ripped a strip of fabric from her bed and used it to staunch the wound properly.

With her injury mostly taken care of, Tamsyn set about preparing for the trip. Even with only one free hand it didn't take her long. Her years living as a missionary had taught Tamsyn plenty about exactly what was needed to survive in the wilds and what wasn't; most of what necessary she carried as a matter of course and was already packed from the expedition to Garas Harbough. All Tamsyn had to do was add cold weather clothes, which she wrapped in a blanket, and a handful of spare bowstrings and she was pretty much ready. The only other thing she would normally have done was slowly and painfully write a letter to her parents; an effort that would clearly be wasted today. Even if Artemis didn't turn her into an ant and stomp on her, the letter wouldn't leave the fort apart from as ash.

With nothing else to do, Tamsyn decided to open the windows of her chamber and sit and enjoy the fresh air while she waited. The idea of being around the other members of the rose company didn't appeal, and she was sure the general would send someone to fetch her, if only to make sure that she had tried to escape the fort to spread the woman's secret in person.