The Tales of Agganoth

31cef51315ebbc76637e76ad029f74ba.png

"Nightmares..."

Ardryan counted the figures in the room. One, two, him--three, ...nine. Ten. The ethereal touch of the spectre felt like a soft summer breeze in the still claustrophobic space of the storehouse.

"This is what you dream of, is it not?"

His shoulder ached from the spear toss before. The weapon was not made to be thrown like a javelin, its weight had strained his arm nearly numb.

"More of someone else's causes to fight for, more masters to grovel beneath."

Throwing himself onto a dusty crate, which cracked worryingly under his weight but didn't break, Ardryan removed his sword strap and dropped it on the floor, throwing up a cloud of rot and wood chips. He told his fingers to reach for it, to perform the familiar ritual of cleaning the blade and perhaps calming his mind. His hands didn't move.

"By now the quartermaster would have sent the Death Sigil regardless of what you said. By now Father and Mother would have known. How will you ever face them ag..."

"I am with you, always." He said, simply. Not for the Oracle, or for the world. For his own sanity, and perhaps even that of the people in this room.

Another mission. Another war. He plan to lose himself in it.

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Reina and Greenie
Don't Touch That Girl
Collab w/ @Ultra Paradox and @RJS

Sindri collapsed into the storehouse, gasping for breath as his legs finally gave way beneath him. The events of the day so far had left him almost inhumanly exhausted, and there was still much he was struggling to understand. What had happened when he woke up? Why had there been black sand on the ground. He sank down to the ground with a groan, before looking to Alana. She'd seemed to be suffering with the effort of hiding them all, but it wasn't until he looked now that he realised the true extent of it, with vicious-looking black veins streaking throughout her body. He shifted closer. "Alana? Are you ok?"

An exhausted Alana stared back at Sindri. She couldn't believe she had made it to the storehouse and even less that she was able to use magic to the extent she had. Looking down at the blackened veins that had gone all the way up her arms and had covered her chest and even face, she shook her head. "I don't know," she managed to say through gritted teeth. "They're very painful." It was difficult to even raise her hands, they hurt so much. "It's like the shadows are inside me too." She tried to adjust herself the best she could, trying to ignore the pain and listen to the man speak, the one she had helped save and the woman he loved.

Wymond felt the strain in his aged legs, as he bent over trying to catch his breath. After composing himself and steadying his breath, he removed the cuirass from his body and watched it thump as it hit the ground. Dust rose steadily into the air and he waved it away, a couple coughs escaped his lips. He took a few seconds to look around the old building they found refuge in, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, haystacks in the corner, and salted meat tied neatly in bags.

"That's the plan Darin, none of us are safe here," He then shifted his attention to the strangers who helped in their escape, "That's including all of you, and most definitely you." He was speaking directly to Cassie. After hearing what Shireen had to say, Wymond remained silent, yet couldn't help but find some trouble processing what she said. The Oracle is missing, magic is back, and they're here to save her. Things just kept getting more and more unreal, screwing with Wymond's reality.

He needed to sit, he trudged towards a wall near two of the strangers and sat on top of a sack of hay. The girl seemed to be in rough shape, seeing as she was the reason any of them made it out of there alive. "Hey...you don't seem to be doing so good," He paused for a couple seconds and then reached for his leather canteen and unscrewed it, motioning it towards her, "Here. Drink."

Alana's eyes found the new man who was offering her a drink of his canteen. She did want water, she could probably use some too but she was still weary of anyone new. So she politely shook her head. "Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment but I'll be ok." She grunted as she attempted to sit up a little straighter. "I'm sure this will go away soon." At least she hoped it would go away soon. She had never experienced this before.

"Hm," His eyes continue to wander over her sickly figure, yet he shrugged and took a sip from the canteen. He then turned it over towards Sindri, "Would you like some?"

Sindri gratefully accepted the canteen, the water helping to ease the lingering soreness in his throat. He would have like to have drunk more, but to drain the whole thing would have been rude, and so he contented himself with a few sips before reaching out to hand it back.

After the man answered he looked back over at Alana. "You really saved us out there. None of us in here would of survived against those brutes if it weren't for you, the least I can do is help," Wymond offered but Alana once more refused. "Really, it's fine," she said as she looked down at the darkened veins still very visible on her hands and arms. She wasn't fine but she would find a way to heal herself on her own.

Another pause, as Wymond went to touch her forehead, checking for any signs of a fever. "You aren't looking too hot-"

Alana's eyes widened as the man moved to touch her. Images of the day that altered her life immediately flashed before her eyes and the kind man offering her water from his canteen turned into the man from her shop. "DON'T TOUCH ME!" she screamed out suddenly. She backed away so quickly she fell from where she was sitting but she refused to stop, scurrying backwards and as far away from male hands as possible. "DON'T COME NEAR ME!" Tears streamed down her face immediately as she moved to the farthest corner. She was visibly shaking as she outstretched her hand to halt the man from coming closer. Pain radiated from everywhere but the terror in her eyes was all anyone could focus on. "Dont...don't come any closer to me."

Sindri physically flinched and recoiled from Alana's sudden outburst. She'd seemed the most collected of their group, and he certainly hadn't been anticipating anything of this nature. He looked at her now, seeing much that was familiar. The shaking. The fear, the panic lurking just beneath the surface. He felt a huge wave of sorrow for her. He knew what it felt like. Surely there was something he could do?

And yet, even as he empathised with her, the sting of her rebuke burrowed into him. It wasn't even aimed at him, but he felt it nonetheless. Was it right to ignore her words to try to help her feelings? Or should he respect her words and leave her to suffer? Even as he pondered, he knew the answer. She didn't want or need his help. And why should she? The sympathy and concern were twisted into self-pity, and from there to darker, angrier places. What was he even doing here? All he had done so far was be a burden - doubtless there would be other ways they could have saved that girl. He was holding them back, but because he was too scared and selfish to walk away from the security they provided he would continue to hinder them. He pulled his arms and legs tighter, physically closing himself off from the rest. Why had he even tried to delude himself into feeling he had accomplished something earlier that day?

Wymond flinched at her sudden outburst, still holding his hand out in the air before slowly retracting it. He stared at the girl with soft eyes, he wasn't physically hurt by her sudden outburst evoked a strong sense of pity within him. She was a beautiful and young maiden, and reminded him of what his daughter would look like if she ever reached that age. But someone hurt her, and bad. In one of the worst ways possible it seemed.

"It's okay," He held his hands up to show her he wasn't going to try anything, "Everything's okay. We're safe, you're safe." He looked around the room to check if everyone else caught on to the outburst and then he sat back against the wall. His eyes locked onto Sindri, who seemed to be in some sort of fetal position and couldn't help but shake his head. It seemed like no matter what his group has been through, they went through worse. Or they couldn't handle the stress? The events over the last few days could drive any normal man or woman crazy.

Alana breathed in a shaky sigh of relief as the man pulled away and kept his distance. She picked her knees up and wrapped her arms tightly around them in some vain attempt to comfort herself. The sudden movements exasperated the pain in her arms but she was thankful that he didn't come closer. She couldn't be touched, not by a man, not again. The pain within was worse than anything she currently felt in her arms and face. She always made herself to seem strong and collected and was now in her most vulnerable state. Alana simply shut her eyes and stood in the corner, waiting for the shaking to die down and her arms and face to return to normal.

A Mad World
A collab between @La Reina and @Kat

The darkness was all Rayela knew the moment she closed her eyes. She could hear everyone talking, but the pitch black behind her eyelids told her to sleep. Her head moved a little as she shifted and tried to find a comfortable position for her lower body. The lull of sleep beckoned her and just as she began to drift, a subtle pang in her stomach settled for a brief moment and she heard Alana scream. Her eyes darted open and she stood up.

"Alana?"

Rayela watched as the familiar woman retreated to the corner, terror etched in her body language and face. Her heart tightened and she went over and cautiously approached the pained woman. Rayela didn't touch her; she didn't think she was allowed to from what the display of fear told her when the two men tried to do so. It was frightening to see her savior like this. Alana always seemed to be confident in who she was; not now though.

"Alana," Her voice was soft. "What happened?"

Alana's eyes looked up at Rayela and though she didn't know her for long, was happy to have her near. She brushed the tendrils of hair that had covered her face back and spoke softly to Rayela. "The man...the new one beside Sindri. He…" She hated being this vulnerable. She prided herself in being the strong one and forcing others to do the same. Now she couldn't seem to find the peace she needed. "...attempted to touch me." It sounded ridiculous as soon as the words came out of her mouth but they were her truth, the reality of who she was forced to become. She blinked back tears attempting not to cry in front of strangers.

"I just...can't be touched by a man."

Rayela didn't know what had happened to Alana that made her feel she could not be touched, but she thought she had an idea of why because of her own experiences with her husband. It was best not to direct the situation to herself though. Alana was in pain and in need of a friend, someone to support her, not a selfish woman.

Rayela could not remember the last time a woman cried in front her; Tumarans were emotionally hardened and it was rare to see them shed a tear, even from the women. It tortured Rayela to see Alana try and hold back those tears; she almost felt like crying too, especially when she began to speak again.

"It's okay if you don't want to be touched by men. It's not stupid. Men can be savage creatures and when you don't know for sure who's good and who's not, it becomes hard to discern their internal motives and make friends with them. Whoever hurt you Alana, it's not your fault. It will never be your fault, do you understand?"

Alana smiled at Rayela's words. They were simple and not anything she didn't already know but there was comfort in them. It felt good to have someone that seemed to care and perhaps even understand. Alana remembered how panicked Rayela was at the sight of Atum and the possibility of her husband finding her. It was nice to have such a kindred spirit beside her. They both had been through something similar though they had their own stories. Still, having Rayela during this time and through this journey would only prove to benefit Alana and even Rayela as well.

"Men are savage creatures, aren't they?" She couldn't help the chuckle.

She reached out and grabbed Rayela's hand. "Thank you. I appreciate your words and you taking the time to make sure I am well even though you don't know me. I guess it was the same for me when I had the need to save you from the disaster in Norcrest. I'm very glad you're here, Rayela."

Rayela's breath caught as Alana spoke. She hadn't expected much from her, but her smile lit a calm fire deep inside her. Her eyes diverted, unable to glance up at the woman as she reached out and took her hand. A sense of belonging and security rushed through her. Rayela placed her other hand on top of Alana's and squeezed it a little. Alana was fragile but strong.

"You're too kind," she murmured. "I will be forever grateful for when you saved me. You are strong, I know this. You are so strong, even in your weakest moments, Alana and… despite what others may tell you, it's okay to cry, if you need to. I'm glad you're here too."

Rayela felt her eyes blur a little and she blinked away her own tears. She smiled a little and glanced up at Alana for a moment before diverting her eyes away again.

"I really mean that, Alana. I'm really glad you're here too. I don't know who I would've turned to, had I not met you. I always feel so lost."

Alana rose to her feet pulling Rayela up with her. "No more being lost. There's enough going on around us." She looked down at her arms. The blackened veins were still visible and she was sure she had to look like some strange creature to everyone but there wasn't enough time to concentrate or focus on her inner turmoil. There was so much happening around them and with everything they had just witnessed, she could deal with her pain later.

Returning her eyes to Rayela she said, "We need to focus. I'm fine. I'll be fine as long as none of these men think its ok to touch me again. And I don't think they will, not after my...recent outburst." It was embarrassing but necessary.

"I'm strong and you are too. We'll be strong together. For whatever reason, fate has brought us together. It can't be a coincidence that magic has returned, that I saved you and now you're helping me." Alana remained close beside Rayela. After the events of the past few days, it was nice to have found someone she felt she might be able to trust and confide in. If anything, they could at least be there for one another until everything was set back in order.

"They won't touch you. I'll make sure of it," Rayela stated with a small smile and looked up at Alana. "We'll help each other. You've already done so much and we need to stick together with the others to find the princess, so our nightmares can stop. I'm here for you, Alana, if you ever need someone to listen."

"Thank you. Same here." Alana said as she squeezed Rayela's hand once more. Alana turned her attention back to the group. She took in a deep breath and held her head up high. Though the veins were still painful, she wouldn't allow herself to continue to be seen as weak.

"I agree with my group," she said towards the others, hoping they might forget her most recent display. "I did not put myself on the line for nothing. This…" She said as she gestured to her arms and face, "...will not be for nothing. Magic has returned and we cannot deny it. Our nightmares are becoming reality. We need to find the princess."

TAGS || @everyone @La Reina

[fieldbox="The Storehouse in Westhollow, green, solid"]
At first, Darin was certain that this small band of men and women would be what they would need to make a difference...to end these nightmares. Sure, not of all of them looked like they were warriors or fighters, but Rion wasn't and they had managed to do some damage in the Brothel before things went south. There was hope that all of them could do something, especially since some of them even had magic like he did. Even though they'd come to Westhollow for a whole different reason and failed...maybe this change in fate that brought these two groups together would give them some success after what they had endured.

Then the woman that saved them, Alana, overreacted when Wymond reached out to help her. She scurried away screaming that Wymond not touch her. Darin found himself stepping in front of Rion, positioning himself between Alana and her. His hand went to where his dagger had been and he silently cursed at himself for dropping it when Rion had crashed against him. Now, things were as uncertain as they were when they had all stumbled into the storehouse. Yes, Darin wanted to help find the princess if that would spare Rion...the world...those horrible nightmares, but more importantly, Darin wanted to keep Rion safe. This woman, if she reacted as she did when Wymond almost touched her, how would she react when the Untamed were the men?

Shaking his head, Darin stepped forward, "Listen, I'm glad that you have come to Westhollow to save the princess and I want to help. I've seen first hand what happens when the people you care about fall victim to their nightmares," he glanced over his shoulder toward Catriona, "But I won't put myself in harm's way and will definitely not risk anyone else's well-being with her."

He stepped back, his eyes bouncing between the other nine people in the room before settling on Rion, "Earlier, Catriona and I slipped through the gates using a merchant's cart at an Untamed checkpoint. They were looking for her. They were going to go through the cart which means they would have discovered her, but a woman's arrival distracted the men and they let us pass. As we made our way down the road outside of the palisade, we passed a cart where a woman and a younger girl rode. She was covered in a cloak, but she could be the princess," crossing his arms over chest, he continued, "Problem is, I'm pretty sure the Untamed are playing host to them in that Brothel of theirs. What are the Untamed made up of? Men. And if she reacts like that toward a good man," he waved a hand toward Wymond, "how much worse will it be toward those men. What happens if one of them grabs her thinking she's one of the girls? If she freaks out like that...we're all dead," shaking his head, he stepped up beside Catriona and slid his hand in hers, "I'm not dying because she can't hold it together. I have a future I'd like to see come to pass."

He swallowed and looked to Rion, he nodded and spoke, "We'll consider it if she's tasked to be the lookout. No way am I going into the Brothel with her surrounded by all those handsy men." [/fieldbox]

Alana Mcale

Alana could barely contain her anger as the man addressed her the way he did. He didn't know anything about her yet he was prejudging her based off a reaction Alana could not control. Her blood boiled almost immediately. He knew nothing about her life, what she had been through, what she has had to overcome and endure, the pain she dealt with daily and how the nightmares exasperated them. "Excuse me?!" she said as she took a step towards him releasing the comfort of Rayela's hand. "How dare you speak to me as if I was not directly in front of you?!" She glared at the man who stood as if he was some sort of leader. He had proven nothing to her. Why should she listen to him?

"You know absolutely nothing about me. You don't know why I reacted the way that I did. I met you a few minutes ago!" Alana's brow furrowed and it made the veins on her face look even worse. "Look at me! Do you see these?!" She pointed to her arms and face. "They appeared after YOU BEGGED ME to save HER," she said as she pointed towards Rion. "I could've hidden myself and been perfectly safe. I could've hidden myself and escaped without a scratch but I didn't. I chose to save a stranger. I chose to save the love of that's stranger's life!"

All fear from before was gone. She was the bold Alana once more and she wasn't going to allow someone to make her less than what she was. She already had a man do that once. She wasn't about to have it done again. "I held it together long enough to get every single person in this room to safety. I HELD IT TOGETHER. Do not judge me because I reacted to your friend. Those untamed..." She paused for a second, swallowed hard but continued. "I've already had an encounter with one of them. And that man....that man took my soul with him that day he came into my shop and ra-..." She couldn't say the words but she knew they all had to understand.

"I will not ask for forgiveness for my reaction. I reacted but that reaction did not put anyone in danger." She stood firmly in place and continued to stare at the man, refusing to step down. She was braver than she had ever been and of that fact she was proud. "So, please, do not dehumanize me. My name is Alana. And I'm the one who saved what you most love."

zTHyLJh.png
Rion's brow twitched upwards, as the woman who had shrieked at Wymond before driving herself into the corner, suddenly rose up and continued her tirade, this time aimed at Darin. There was no time for this behavior... no time for standing around fighting. The city was burning, but soon enough, they would tame the fire by the church and the Untamed could move more freely... and they would be searching. Searching and hunting.

There was no time...

"You're right. We don't know you." She stated, simply, with as delicate an edge as her frayed nerves could afford, "And no one here begrudges your sacrifice just now. Nor anyone else's... This man..." She gestured to Sindri, with a soft frown, "Walked into the fire to rescue that poor girl... And Wymond and Ardyran risked their lives as well, for a stranger they'd never met. I don't imagine any of us are taking what's been done today for granted. But if you think Darin was dehumanizing you, that's clearly because you don't know him. Either way, though, this isn't about you, or any of us, solely.

This is about the princess and getting her out of the hands of these men. They massacred my family... including my little brother and sister. Children... much like the boy we brought with us, tonight. And I have been in their midst, myself. I have seen what they're capable of." Rubbing her shoulder where the knife struck, she frowned, "The only way Darin could convince them he was one of them was to do this to me... " She gestured to the bruise on his cheek, the split in her lip, "They are heartless and cruel, and they will kill anyone they perceive as a threat. Anyone. No discrimination. No hesitation.

And if you aren't capable of controlling your reactions, as you've just said, no matter what causes them, and believe me when I say, no one here is anything but sympathetic to what happened to you, but if you can't control it, then you could get yourself and everyone else killed. It might not have put anyone in danger just now, though I would argue that... given you don't know the nature of your powers any more than the rest of us do, but it will put us in danger if it happens while we're looking for the princess. And I would hope everyone here could understand why that might make us uncomfortable. At any rate, we can't afford to stand around fighting amongst ourselves. We need to come up with a plan, or it won't matter who goes or stays... the princess will be gone before we can help her."

TAGS || @...everyone?, @DarinValore

2ed08748160cd81354971bb1c8d647f8.png

Shireen crossed her arms over her chest. One thing was for sure, everyone needed to stop being antagonistic and pointing fingers at each other. She looked between Darin and Catriona, and then to Alana. She could understand the latter being upset at the words Darin sent her way, and in the same breath she could understand his concern as well.

"It'll be fine, Alana." She gave the woman a nod and a genuine look of friendliness; no one knew what any of the others had been through, but that didn't mean a little sympathy wouldn't go amiss. "Rest please, ya need it." She looked to Rayela pointedly; the two ladies already seemed to have an understanding between them and it also seemed they had to suffer the same sort of abuse in the past. She hoped Rayela could help Alana just like she had helped the Tumaran back when they were still in Norcrest. After all, it was always nice to have someone being able to relate to what you were going through.

"You're right, Catriona." Her gaze returned to the woman standing by Darin. "This ain' the time to be fightin' or pointin' fingers at each other. We gotta work together." Looking around the storehouse yet again, she could see everyone was close to burning out. "I'm thinkin' we all need to rest a li'l. We're exhausted, an' y'all must be too. If we keep pushin' ourselves while we're tired, we're just gonna end up makin' stupid mistakes while facin' the enemy. Tiredness is as bad as someone' reactin' badly to a man."

Even as she said those words, she could feel the weariness draping over her like a cloak. After a small pause, she continued. "No reason for everyone t'go. 'Specially not you, seein' they're after you. Rayela can' go either, she's still hurt..." And despite Alana's words, it was fair that she should stay back as well. "I've been here 'fore, an' I've been 'round rough types m'whole life. I ain' scared of these sons of bitches. I'm ready to go with whoever else is plannin' on goin'. Once a plan's made and we've had even a li'l shut eye."​

"I'll go. Dealing with people of this character is nothing new to me either, and neither is combat should, or rather when it becomes necessary." Atum spoke up. He'd been quiet during the entire exchange between Darin, Alana, and Rion. Despite how heated it got or what he felt about it, he was too tired to speak on the subject. He was grateful that, so far, it seemed to have died down and the conversation had switched to planning. Dissension among the ranks this early was never good.

"As far as plans go, how will we be sneaking into that Brothel?" The Untamed were definitely on high alert now, but he also assumed a number of them might be out on patrols, but their home? That was sure to be well guarded. "Darin, she mentioned that you had to convince them you were one of them. What do you know about the brothel? Walking through the front door doesn't seem like a good idea."

"If there's a back door," He paused for a moment, stifling a yawn, "Or a side entrance. That would be even better. Someplace where we'd be scrutinized less as we enter." How he wished he had had the lay of the land. If he knew Westhollow even just a little better or had more time to get organized then a better plan could be offered. It was similar to planning an attack on another territory back home, but the end goal was different.

They were taking one person instead of a territory. And depending on the circumstances, that could make the whole thing a lot more difficult. Wherever the Princess was in there, she was going to be well protected, and that made getting inside the easy part.​

"Enough, we have a child here." Wymond disapproved of the bickering between their recent savior named Alana and the man he grew to come to accept as the rag tag group's leader. In the corner Henry rested his head on Cassie's lap, she was playing with his hair and his eyes were soft and droopy. "I respect you Darin, enough to consider you a friend. And I understand where you're coming from Alana. It's okay, everything's okay. I apologize for trying to touch you and we can just leave it at that."

He sat back listening to the group brainstorming on how they would sneak into the brothel and who would be keeping watch. After Shireen and Atum vouched that they would be going in, Wymond raised his hand, "I'm going too. I know how to handle my way around these kind of people."

When Atum starts talking about how they would get inside, a sudden lightheadedness fell over over him. He felt the blood drip from his nose and he pressed his fingers up against it. "Oh no…" He looked around the room until he finally spotted her. There she was Jenerith, his late wife. She stood besides where Atum was yet no one could see her but Wymond.

"Tell them…", Wymond couldn't reply out of the shock that he felt, and tears began to swell in his eyes.

"Tell them who you really were, show them. If you don't tell them now, you'll be hated when they find out later."

"I-" Wymond looked around the room and stood up from the haystacks he sat on to get their attention, "I know how we can get inside. Long ago, before I met my wife who since then passed, and far before I had my daughter, I was a part of some terrible things. I am most definitely not a good man. I'm not a hero. I have killed, I have beaten, kidnapped, all for money. That is my past, and I'm not proud of it. There are some things I regret."

He paused, took a deep breath, and looked at his Wife's ghostly being. She gave him a firm nod and that gave him the confidence to proceed. "But with that being said," He bent down and raised his pant leg. On his calf there was a tattoo that seemed similar to the Untamed markings, except with a couple differences. "I was once a part of the Untamed, or at least a branch of the Untamed. My name is Wymond Miles, and I'm no hero. But this, this, is how we can get inside." One last glance and his wife was gone, just like that.

[fieldbox="Westhollow Storehouse, green, solid"]
Whatever disagreement he had with Alana, and whatever planning the ragtag of a group had begun to weave was forced to the back of his mind. Nothing seemed to be going for the group. The day before the world had drastically been changed and Darin was certain that everyone in here had felt it in one way or another. He had lost his sister, Rion, a lead, Wymond a daughter..the cost of the Oracle awakening had been more than anyone really wanted to pay and, without a doubt, had been felt throughout all the land of Agganoth. On top of all of that, the events of today were still fresh. The risks that were taken by the small band that had first arrived were now overshadowed by the Wymond's confession.

"Wait," he started, Darin was running out of people he could trust...and quickly, "You knew who were we going after the whole time? And you said nothing?"

Maybe it was exhaustion, or perhaps the stress of the day, but Darin had the sudden urge to grip the larger, more scary man by his shirt and press him against the wall. Only the thought of Rion stilled him. If he did what he felt like doing and Catriona's emotions began to run high again then they'd all be in danger. Instead, he took a step closer to her, "I can't believe this," he breathed, a hint of anger in his tone, "Do you realize how much we could have avoided today if you had shared that earlier? Gods, Wymond," he shook his head, "Now you want us to trust you enough to use you to walk right into the Brothel? You could very well still be an Untamed as far as any of us know, and as soon as we get inside, you could turn us over to them. You know full well what they would do to her," he gestured toward Shireen, "and they would have no problem killing him and me in the worst ways possible," he tilted his head toward Atum.

Darin frustratingly ran his hands through his blonde hair, a short chuckle passed through his lips, "I don't even know what to do right now," he shook his head again in unbelief as he dropped his hands to his side before turning his attention to Alana with a raised brow, "I'm sorry. Apparently, I'm a poor judge of character."

Moving to a barrel, Darin leaned against it. Maybe it was the lack of sleep..maybe it was the stress of the day...or even a mixture of both, but one thing was for sure, today was only getting worse, not better. He knew he could really use a ray of sunshine right now. [/fieldbox]

Rayela Reaches Out, Sindri Sidesteps
A collaboration between Kat and RJS

Rayela's chest tightened as Wymond spilled the greatest secret any of them could keep. She immediately walked up to Alana and grasped her hand, then tried to get her to move away from Wymond. He was once part of those awful people who killed, murdered, and did terrible things to women. Her throat felt dry as she heard who she could only assume was Darin. He was obviously frustrated with his… friend, if they even called Wymond that.

"That's absolutely awful," she muttered, not wanting any part in the game of two men."Both of you." If Wymond expected her to trust him, or Alana, for that matter, he was sorely mistaken. She was also quite frustrated with Darin and Catriona's lack of sympathy for Alana."I'm going to check on Sindri. He's in a perpetual state of agony."

Rayela let go of Alana's hand and left the small group. She lifted her dress a bit from the dirt ground and settled down next to Sindri who was curled up in a ball in the corner. She sighed. Rayela hadn't expected this out of him, but what could she do? Everyone was suffering, not just her. Her legs crossed over to the side as she observed the young man. He was shaking, clearly confused by what had transpired not even more than a few minutes ago.

"Sindri? Look at me. It's not your fault. Alana didn't mean it. Please, look at me," she coaxed him gently.

Sindri startled slightly at the nearby voice, his head darting over to look at Rayela with a sudden snap that was reminiscent of a hunted animal. He momentarily tensed up, before forcing himself to relax his arms and legs. No matter what, he had to stay calm for her sake. He'd told her that she would be safer with the rest of them. If he started falling apart now, it would be like he'd lied to her. He couldn't have that responsibility on his shoulders. He forced a smile.

"Hmm. Oh, sorry. I'm...I'm fine. Just been quite the eventful day what with everything. I'm exhausted, that's all."

He could only hope she believed it.

"Don't lie to me."

She couldn't trust Wymond, and Sindri… What happened when she couldn't trust him either? They were all fools.

"I saw you when I came over here to check on Alana. This isn't like you, Sindri. You're in great distress. What happened?"

Sindri averted his eyes looking over to the rest. "Honestly, it's nothing. I...just don't really know what happened...at the pyres. I remember stepping into the pyre and then I was lying on the floor. I've never been this exhausted in my life, and now I'm in a town of people who apparently want me dead. Everything's just happening so quickly, you know?"

"Yes, it is. We'll figure it out soon. I believe the plan is to rest, then go search for the princess. Everyone thinks she might be here in Westhollow. I know it's not nothing though. You saved a woman from the fire, Sindri. Henry's friend, Cassie."

She gestured towards the two who were reunited the moment the storehouse opened.

"That is brave and you should take pride in what you did back there. They are grateful."

Sindri blinked a couple of times. Brave? Proud? If Rayela thought those words applied to him, then she really didn't know him at all. But that was probably for the best. After all, if she found out the kind of person he really was, she'd leave. Or maybe she'd tell all of them and they'd all set off leaving him behind. He tried his best to settle down nonchalantly, resting his head on a crate in a position that he hoped looked relaxed but in reality dug into his neck and was truly uncomfortable. "Yeah. I guess you're right." He could see now the obvious simmering tension amongst the others. "What did I miss?"

"After Alana got scared of you and Wymond, Darin and Catriona were… less than sympathetic, you could say. Wymond has also revealed that he used to be one of the Untamed, much to the dismay of the group. Everyone is second guessing their decision to bring him along, or at least, they aren't quite sure if they can trust him now. Everyone's still trying to grasp the sudden, unannounced reveal."

Sindri hadn't heard of the Untamed, but it seemed reasonable to assume they had something to do with the crowd of people that had tried to kill them earlier. No wonder that everyone now seemed on edge. Sindri hesitated. He probably shouldn't get caught up in this after all - he doubted they'd particularly want to listen to him anyway - but a voice in the back of his head screamed at him. Looking to the group he asked one question, loud enough for everyone to hear despite the tremor in his voice. "If you don't mind me interrupting...what has that man done since you met him that warrants such distrust, apart from hiding his apparently repugnant past?"

Last edited:
0b210b33d78272190d41a20ecc78fb23.png

He could feel it, the thing that had held them together, an all-consuming rush born of necessity and the overpowering need to distract themselves from something else utterly and terribly unknowable, their seemingly unbreakable bond formed from mutual hardship, slowly crumbling away. It had only been a facade after all, frightened savages huddling together for the illusion of safety from the thunder and lightning they could not comprehend. Ardryan knew it well, welcomed it like an old friend. His old comrades had simply drifted away once morning shone upon the finale of each battle, time and time again. He didn't shed a single tear when the war took them. Vaguely, he wondered if the same thing would happen, here, now. Because it indeed was another war, and they were all soldiers on the front line. The first battle had ended. Would their bond survive until the next one? No strategy, no leader, no discipline. The rational answer was apparent.

But he could see clearly they were all broken, damaged, each and every one. That was their common cause, the final string stretched dangerously thin impossibly preventing a fragmented jar from fully shattering. A curious contradiction, that.

The revelations surprised him, but he understood. Shame radiated off Wymond like a stench, as did confusion and fear off the shadow witch. In fact, the entire storehouse smelt of fear and suspicion. The first he was accustomed to, the latter left a bitter taste in his mouth.

Fire ran through his veins like molten blood, yet his gut wrenched hard, filled with ice. So many questions, so many tasks, no answers. The spectre of guilt and self-loathing gnawed at the peripheral of his senses, shaking the foundations of his belief and ability. The more the others disagreed, the more the wraith raged and the blaze ate at him from the inside out. The cycle built and built until he thought he would explode form the pressure.

For the first time in years, Ardryan Lynkt prayed to Athos. The words felt familiar on his lips, like an old friend long thought dead. He had never been religious, but his mother was the most devout woman he had ever met, and she used to recite those exact words every night without fail.

Most perplexing, his prayer. He was not religious. In fact, he hated Athos with a passion only lessened by the quickly solidifying conviction that Gods didn't exist. Each person he had met who prayed to Athos had died, his miracles nowhere to be found yet they still flocked to his altar like moths to a flame. Was it his turn to die? Perhaps Athos was the light after all, the One True Light, and all of them were moths.

His face felt flushed, hot as an oven. It was getting harder each moment to contain the raging inferno within, it writhed and howled like a living thing battering against the bars of its cage. On the horizon of the rocking ocean of his mind he saw the storm of delirium lurching into view, a ravenous beast sensing prey. Ardryan knew the fever well, he had spent many nights in it amidst the freezing wet barracks with Lorraine by his side. Now he was alone.

The others would still be arguing, clashing their brokenness together, leveling them like accusations. He would intervene, but it wasn't his place to question or object. Indistinctly the wraith's laughter mingled with his wordless prayer into a malformed, ugly guttural croak of indecipherable guilt.

Last edited:
zTHyLJh.png
Rion paled as Wymond pulled the leg of his pants up, to reveal the tattoo, and for a moment, she could hear nothing beyond the blood, pounding in her ears. She had traveled with the man for two days, their hearts and minds aligned to the task at hand. He had heard her story... knew what had happened to her family. He had allowed Darin to go off after Ordy and Telly... into the dark streets of Westhollow, on his own. He had allowed her to approach the men in the tavern, to go off with Cadan on her own...

When they had approached the Untamed hideout, he said nothing when she and Darin separated, to infiltrate. No warning. No guidance. Nothing. And she had nearly died at the hands of the men in that building... Men he could very well have served beside. Men whose actions were unspeakable... despicable. Wymond had kept the information to himself, out of fear or regret or guilt. It broke her heart to think that one of the few people in the world she had allowed herself to trust... could hide something so important.

It broke her heart that he had put them at risk... more so, that he had thought it was necessary. She wanted her vengeance, yes. But just like Darin could not be blamed for what had happened with his sister, Wymond couldn't be blamed for what had happened to her family. Staring at him, watching as Darin said everything she, in her heart, was feeling...

From where he'd crouched in the corner, she could hear the man, Sindri, speaking up... asking what Wymond had done, but it only seemed to escalate the point in her mind that they really didn't know anything about each other. None of them. It was as though they hadn't even heard what she and Darin had been through... what accounted for their uncertainties and their fears. They weren't insensitive or unkind or unmoved by these people... but what they had been through and seen and done made its mark. The scars ran deep, and no one seemed capable of seeing that...

Suddenly exhausted, weighed down by the complications of all that had happened in such a short while, Rion stepped over to the barrels and reached out to take Darin's hand in her own, "...Maybe it's for the best we scout ahead while everyone gets some rest?" Looking around the room, she frowned softly, "You should all be mindful of how long you sleep, if you decide to. Do not allow yourself to slip into dreams... or you may not wake from them."

Her gaze returned to Darin, burdened and weary, "...Whatever you want to do. I'm with you."

TAGS || @...everyone?, @DarinValore

"He's a stranger to me, and though he's admitted being a part of The Untamed, he's said that his past is just that: The past." Atum spoke up in response to Sindri's question. "As far as I know," He looked to Darin, "He was with you before this with no problem. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially in this situation." Not when the odds were stacked against them so much already.

"But it would have been better to keep it to yourself, especially now if not for the foreseeable future." The Tumaran looked at Wymond now. Now there was distrust in the air surrounding the man, and at possibly the worst possible time there could be. They were about to slip into the lion's den. They didn't need to worry about watching their back as well as their front. What's worse, he said it right after Alana spoke of her previous encounter with the Untamed. For all he knew, Wymond just painted a target on his own back. The worry was visible on his face.

"I do think we all should get some rest." He agreed with Rion. "Can't operate in this state." He'd have to risk encountering the dreams, but he was confident it would be alright. They knew what the dreams were this time, and they wouldn't be sleeping for long. In a mess like this, how could they?​

#RAYANA
Collab w/ @Kat

Wymond's revelation that he was formally an untamed almost sent Alana through a wall she had backed up so quickly. "You--you were one of them?" Her voice shook as she looked to Wymond. All her previous bravery was gone again and was instead replaced with fear and distrust. She knew it. She knew she couldn't trust him. Darin addressed her just then and Alana shook her head with a raised brow. "Clearly...you are a poor judge of character." Alana reached over and grabbed Rayela's hand into her own and pulled her back and away from the other men. Despite Sindri's words, she couldn't trust an untamed. "Rayela...he's one of them. One of the men that hurt me. He was one of the men that tried to hurt the entire group."

Rayela's eyes widened at Alana's statement. She'd been shocked at Wymond's sudden, if not untimely, reveal, but this was far worse. She tried not to panic too much as she considered the leftover options. "We can't let him be part of the group. Who knows what might happen next? Darin said he could very well walk us right into a trap."

"It is almost guaranteed he will walk us into a trap." She did her best to attempt to remain calm and not allow her emotions to boil over as they did before. She needed to keep a level head now more than ever. "We were fine with the group we had. Perhaps we should suggest to the others to allow those people to move on on their own and allow us to continue our mission as we had intended. Everything was fine until they showed up."

Rayela squeezed Alana's hand. "Yes, we can't allow this stalling to continue and I don't quite feel comfortable sleeping around a man who says he used to be part of the Untamed. He could very well pull that trap while we're sleeping, as much as I hate to admit it. Our safety comes first and if there's suspicion, it's best to not take our chances."

Alana's eyes scanned over the group before coming back to Rayela. "But how do we tell the others? We're surrounded now by these people. Plus the ones that were saved from the fire. Should we just...blurt it out?"

"Maybe not blurt it out. We'll tell the group our idea though. I don't know what we'd do if they decide not to follow through with it though."

Alana's eyes glanced over to Sindri, Shireen and Atum. They seemed to be intrigued with the idea of joining the other group on their mission to save the princess. It would be hard to convince them otherwise. They didn't seem to have the same level of fear she did. It was probably due to the fact that they had never encountered the untamed before today. They didn't know what they were capable of doing or to what extent they would go to hurt others. Even the girl Alana saved, Rion, seemed to agree that the untamed were a force to be reckoned with. "I only know one thing for sure. I am not going into the brothel and I will not stand anywhere near Wymond. If the others chose to go on this mission than so be it. We should just stay here."

She was apprehensive but the weight of the day was beginning to take over her. She could barely control the overwhelming exhaustion. "Perhaps we should just rest. Everyone will have a better head in the morning and we can speak to the others on the side before the other group makes any more suggestions."

"I agree," Rayela smiled a little, glancing over at Rion as she spoke. She disliked the woman, but as she'd experienced the nightmares come after her before, it was true that if they slept too long, they'd fall back into their nightmares and feel the emotional and physical weight of it. Rayela hoped that would not happen, especially not with the words Atum just spoke. He didn't care about Wymond's past; he was going to risk it all.

"We'll sleep far away from Wymond. Come on."

Alana followed Rayela towards the back and together they did their best to attempt to make comfortable bedding. They didn't have very much to work with but the hay bales provided the cushion they needed and it was the best they could do. They were far enough away from Wymond that he couldn't come after them without going through the others first but they also had a clear view should he try anything. "Rayela, you must promise to wake me if you notice I might be having a nightmare. I'll try to only sleep in bursts. You do the same, ok?"

"Okay, I'll try," Rayela murmured. She placed her hands on her lap and put more hay down on the ground. It wasn't the best accomodation, but it would have to do for now. She glanced over at the group, swallowing hard as she noticed Wymond again. Rayela turned away, her smile weary as Alana laid down and did her best to get comfortable.

"Night. I'll see you when you wake up."

Tags: @DarinValore @Ultra Paradox

SINDRI HERMOD

Sindri nodded in agreement with the others, struggling to his feet. "Some rest is a good idea. We're injured," he nodded towards Alana, "we're on edge," nodding to the four newcomers, "and we're exhausted. Hopefully we can look at things from a calmer place tomor-" He staggered, his legs once more turning to jelly beneath him. The last vestiges of his strength left him as he collapsed sideways, falling unconscious for the second time that day. Fortunately, or maybe through the grace of Eses, his head landed on his discarded pack, providing a serviceable pillow as oblivion took him.

The scene was hauntingly, eerily familiar.The packed tavern, filled with firelight and patrons. The long dark shadows looming in the rafters. He knew how it would go from last time. Why bother even trying to play? He could run! Escape! Get away from all of it. All the fear, all the horror. In a panic, he started to dash to the exit...but his feet refused to move, glued in place as instead his arms slowly raised the lyre, fingers dancing across in the same lively reel as his head snapped left, right, left again in a blind panic. He was trapped, a prisoner inside the cage of a role that had been assigned to him so many years ago. He shuddered, waiting for the inevitable lack of response.

What ensued was worse. Far worse. Moving in unison, every single head turned to look in the opposite direction to him. He shuddered at the sight, as flesh twisted and wound in an unnatural configuration as basic anatomy was defied. And then, on the back of the heads...it was hard to tell in the flickering lights, but Sindri could swear that for a moment he could see dark pits staring back at him. He blinked, and the visage was gone. A whole room of people with heads twisted at inhuman angles lay before him as an icy blade of fear wormed its way from the base of skull down to the very tip of his spine. A violent shiver struck him, and his feet were unstuck once more.

Sindri bolted. The door slammed open as, heedless of the latch, Sindri hurled himself through it. Breaking hard to the right, he sprinted down the road in the pouring rain, his breath catching in his throat and misting up the cold air before him. A bit further down the road and he could be out of the village. He could be safe. He could wait for morning and…

A familiar house loomed into view on his left, bringing him to a sudden, skidding halt. He stepped forwards slowly, the sucking sounds of his feet in the mud only serving to enhance the hollow pit in his stomach that threatened to suck him in entirely. He had definitely gone the other way, so why was he here? He shouldn't be anywhere near this house, that held nothing for him. He continued running, heading past the house and continuing. Another, identical, loomed out of the darkness on his left. Then another. Another. Another. Another.

Sindri collapsed, panting for air and now thoroughly soaked by the incessant downpour. The chill in his bones was not merely from the cold, as the inevitability of his situation sunk deeply into his being. There was nowhere to run. There had never been anywhere to run. Staggering to his feet, he followed the path towards the door. It loomed large, greater in height than he could remember it ever seeming as a small child. His forehead rested against the door, as he mustered the courage needed to raise his hand and knock.

Before his fist could hit wood, the door swung open suddenly and a hand suddenly swung in and struck him across the face. The force knocked him back and he stumbled, falling into a puddle of icy water that had collected in a small depression within the path. As his eyes reopened, he saw a familiar yet horrifying figure stride towards him. The body from the neck down was familiar, and the lingering affection only served to amplify the terror of the steady yet purposeful approach. The neck was twisted and malformed - the head twisted through 180 degrees so the back of the head faced him. Two black pits stared from the brown tresses of hair, each with a tiny glowing red coal in them that emanated malice.

"DON'T COME NEAR ME!" A vicious kick dug into Sindri's side as he curled up, bouncing and scraping along the floor as the force sent him rolling. A chill, inhuman imitation of a familiar voice echoed in his head, interspersed with mocking laughter and punctuated by more heavy kicks.

"See? They don't want you. We don't want you. Nobody wants you. So go. Go away. You lead them here. You lead them to danger. Because you're selfish. You didn't want to see them go. So you dragged them with you. You're not a hero. You're nothing. You're a puppet dancing through the steps that others put in place because you never found a voice to speak out, and now that you do you're going to get people killed because they followed you into danger."

The repeated kicks began to take their toll. Sindri coughed violently, before the next couple forced out vomit. The assault did not relent, and following the vomit was acrid bile as he retched from the repeated blows. As kicks continued to rain in, a sudden sharp crack in his side brought with it a fresh wave of agony. He yelled in pain, only for the sound to be cut off by a fresh wave of coughing. As bleary eyes opened, Sindri could see a crimson spray stretching before him before the rain washed it away. Another sharp kick swung in, this time to the head, and stars exploded in his mind as his vision went black.

The ringing subsided, the stars were blinked away...and Sindri found himself lying on the floor of a warehouse. He shuddered, realising just how much more horrific the dream had become, and a wave of searing agony wracked his right side. He inched his tunic up, gasping with pain at every shift of his right arm, and revealed a purple-black splash across the right of his chest. As another sharp pain jabbed at him, it seemed too horrifying to be true. Taking his left hand, he cautiously wiped it across his mouth...and the blood that was left on the sleeve confirmed the suspicion he had regarding the metallic tang left behind in his mouth. He quickly wrenched the tunic down, hissing in agony at the sudden movement. He couldn't let himself hold them back. He had to keep up with them...and so they couldn't know.

Last edited:
Rayela watched Alana in silence as she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep. She was exhausted, but she looked so much more peaceful when her eyes were closed and soft breaths echoed in Rayela's ears. Soon, the peaceful rest would be over in the blink of an eye and Alana would face her worst fear. Rayela glanced over at the others again; they'd either already laid down or begun to set up for the worst during this time of war against their demons.

Rayela leaned against the large wooden box near her and Alana. She kept an eye on the girl as her own eyes began to droop. Rayela shook her head and shifted around a bit. She couldn't fall asleep; not when she said she would keep an eye on Alana.

"I'll stay awake for you."

She leaned forward and tried a different sitting position to keep herself upright. It was starting to become notoriously difficult to keep her eyes wide open. After everything that's happened and the lack of sleep Rayela had the night before, she didn't want to fall victim again to the intense fright she'd felt upon seeing her husband. Rayela did not notice how unaware she'd been of herself upon finally drifting off. Exhaustion had settled in and her mind became that deep, never ending dungeon she could not escape.

The late morning sun greeted Rayela as she finally woke up to the start of the day, and noticed her mother at her side.

"How are you feeling today, Amina?"

The soft words of her mother riddled her mind as she awoke in the same place she was before; inside the tent that she and Khalil slept in every night.

"Exhausted," she said. Her hands ran over her round stomach and she sighed.

"Khalil is confident the baby is a boy. He's been calling him Amir ever since the doctor did their routine check up and the stars aligned. He's been treating me awfully well, it makes me sick. I know he's pretending."

"Don't say that. His kindness is not simply because you are giving him issue. He's genuinely happy for the both of you, Amina. You'll be a wife, help raise the child. I can tell you that having a child was one of the best decisions of my life. You've blossomed so much, Amina."

Her mother grinned and Rayela offered a weak smile back.

"I'll go make some some broth and vegetables for you. You need to eat to keep your strength up. Rest easy."

She took a deep breath as the tent became quiet again.

"I didn't want this," she told herself in a quiet tone. "I didn't want this. I'm sorry, Amir."

Her eyes blurred as she turned on her side and a faint fluttering feeling passed by. She glanced down and placed her hand on her belly. He was moving around, fighting to get out. It pained Rayela to feel such resentment towards him. He would grow up to be a handsome young man and his mother didn't even want him. Rayela took a deep breath and cautiously slid out of bed. She threw on the long dress Khalil had woven for her a few months back and looked at herself in the mirror.

Maybe she would grow to accept her fate as his wife. Maybe she would grow to love the small human growing inside her. Rayela left the tent, greeted by a few people and the silent nods of a few others. It felt strange; she was no queen, no princess, but her status as the King's wife had changed the way others saw her. Khalil greeted her with love as he noticed her immediately upon exiting the meeting tent. His lips pressed against her forehead and his arms wrapped around her waist. Rayela felt a wave of nausea and discomfort wash over her as he spoke.

"Amina, my love…"

"He'll be a wonderful prince," she muttered in response. Her throat constricted as he left her standing there. His mere presence was suffocating.

Day turned into evening, and Rayela was back in the tent, trapped with no rhyme or reason to it. She'd tried to eat as much of the soup as her mother had made, but found that her appetite had been lacking as of late. She shifted on her side and placed her hands on her stomach. Her mother said talking to the baby with positive affirmations always helped calm an expectant mother's nerves down a bit.

"If you can hear me Amir, I'll love you and be a good mother. Everyone's counting on me, especially Khalil. I've never been a mother before, Amir. It's scary to think about, but I'll be a good one for you."

A sharp pain hit her and she doubled over, suddenly unable to breath properly. She winced and latched onto the bedside table as the pain came in waves. The laughter of Khalil and his best man echoed in her perfect ears as they entered the tent. She glanced up, horrified as the familiar faces twisted into pitch black figures with long horns and sharp claws. Khalil's ribs showed and his teeth had contorted into long, sharp teeth. Another demon with bug wings and three heads with sharp teeth followed them into the tent.

"Amina, you poor soul," one of the demons began, their voice wretched and guttural. "You tried so hard and yet, you failed. What would he think when you tell him you didn't want that thing?"

"You are an unfit mother."

"When you wake up, tears staining your cheeks, begging for his forgiveness, you will feel nothing but the cold fighting to take you over."

A sudden gust of air passed through and she heard the sides of the tent rip open. A few more demons popped up near her and she immediately crawled out of bed and onto the floor in an effort to get away, but the anguish was far too great for her to remotely consider moving. She grimaced as they continued to taunt her and close in on her.

"That thing would've given you the world. That thing would've been your greatest joy and you toss it away like garbage."

"You hurt the baby. You hurt our child, Amina!" The demon screamed and suddenly, Rayela felt its claws latch onto her face. Her eyes widened with fear and she screamed as it dragged its claws across her face. "I did everything for you! I gave you everything I had and this is what you've done for me! You killed Amir!"

"No!" Rayela screamed. "Stop calling me that!"

"Amina, you weakling! You weak whore! I should've listened to my father! You were never good enough! Never!"

"Stop calling me Amina! I would've done everything to give Amir child the mother he deserves!"

"Lie!" the demon growled, wrapping its fingers around Rayela's arms and tossing her aside like a rag doll. "You liar! You stupid liar! Stupid woman!"

"I'm not stupid!"

"Yes! Yes, you are!" The demon cackled. "You are worthless, a means to an end. You are disposable, Amina."

Its eyes widened and its grin never faltered. Rayela paled, frozen in fear as the demon's claws wrapped around her throat and began to squeeze at her airways.

"This will be the last time I'll ever see you. I'll find someone more capable of delivering me what I need, what I want. You'll die and I won't have to deal with you again."

She gasped, tears going to her eyes, "I… You liar. I would've… done everything…"

109a3285cde69da3082809a5ec47a2e6.png

Epic Collab with @SkittlesAndSpike

As tired as Atum was, sleep did not come to him easily. In part, it was because he was afraid to sleep. The thought of the nightmares returning more powerful than ever was more than just worrisome; it was terrifying. Tomorrow's adventure would also be terrifying, though far less than what he would face if he went to bed. At least the Untamed could be felled by a sword or fooled. Whatever plagued their dreams could not.

He sat up from his slouched position against the bags of grain with a sigh. It was a way to keep awake, and also because slouching like that was bad for his back. He was young, but not dumb. He glanced around the room before his eyes settled on Shireen. "Are you going to sleep?" He asked the sailor.

Shireen had been the coolest head in the storage building and he had a softer spot for her since she'd checked on him in Norcrest, when the nightmares had started. In a way, he was just returning the favor by checking on her. He wondered if she was as uneasy about sleeping as he was.

She was glad for the distraction of Atum's words. The confession of the man from the other group seemed to have caused a lot of tension. She could understand why, truly, but at this point in time she didn't think it made a difference whether he was part of the Untamed or not. For the time being, she figured they could keep a very wary eye on him until he proved himself trustworthy to those who felt they had misplaced their trust. At the most, if he was a threat, they could always end his life. A harsh sentence, truly, but these were harsh times, as the day and night has clearly shown them all.

She looked away from the others and headed over to where Atum was sitting. "Hm..." Thinking about it for a moment, she settled down on the ground next to the Tumaran, stretching out her legs and crossing them at the ankle. Despite the relaxed stance, she pulled her sword and laid it next to her on the ground, where it would be easy to grab if needed. "I think I'mma stay watch for a bit..." She bit her lip, not disliking the uncertainty she felt. "I'm worried 'bout these nightmares, y'know... if we go sleepin' at the same time... who knows what'll happen, eh? That girl- Catriona- there ain' no reason t'doubt what she said 'bout dreams seein' we know 'bout the Oracle."

Sighing, she leaned her head back, looking up and the storehouse's ceiling. "Really didn' think leavin' the ship for adventure was gonna get me caught up in all this sh*t."

"Well, in a way, you found adventure." Atum commented. It wasn't the kind of adventure she was expecting though, of that he was sure. There was no sense of fun or exploration in it, not for her, not for him or anyone else in the group he was sure. "I did not expect to stumble into this mess either." He had gone to Norcrest to hear the king speak and to get back on his feet.

" The Untamed, magic, these nightmares..." A dry chuckle left his throat as he shook his head softly. "The nightmares are the only reason I've yet to fall asleep myself." He told Shireen. "What she said worries me too. It worries me far more than the Untamed." They were a tangible threat, something that could be fought and killed or even escaped from. But the nightmares came from a personal place. They struck while you slept, something you couldn't avoid doing for long without dying. He could still remember the first one he had, his face curling up into a frown as he recalled it. "Maybe a watch isn't such a bad idea."

"Mhm…" Shireen let out a small yawn before shaking her head. "I won' be able t'sleep right away, what with all that's gone down here an' before…" She cast a glance in Rayela and Alana's direction, noting the two had secluded themselves. "You sleep first. If I see somethin', I'll wake you up."

"Alright, I'll sleep awhile." Atum didn't have much of an argument to make. He was exhausted from trying to heal Cassie earlier. "But you'll need some rest as well. Wake me after a bit if I'm not up myself, and I'll take watch while you rest up." He told Shireen. "Half an hour or so should do me good."

He lowered himself to the ground, using the bag of grain as a pillow to get as comfortable as he could. It wasn't a bed by any means, but he was accustomed to sleeping in worse conditions than this. "I'll see you in awhile, I suppose." He murmured, closing his eyes and letting sleep over take him.

"Sleep we-" Shireen stopped herself in mid word. Sleep well? It wasn't a possibility anymore, was it? She remained silent, watching over the Tumaran, though her eyes shifted as she looked at the others. What was going through the minds of those who were still awake? It was clear to her eyes that everyone knew the princess needed to be found and returned to her place in Norcrest. But what were they going to do about Wymond? Right now there was mistrust and discord, with too many people hurt and betrayed. It was impossible to think of a rational way to solve their dilemma.

Thoughts consumed by their plight for more than a moment, it took Shireen a little while before she realized how restless Atum seemed. Cussing under her breath, she reached out and patted his shoulder gently.

"Atum. Atum, it's a dream. Wake up."

The Tumaran didn't wake and began writhing in his sleep instead. His arms pinned to his sides by some invisible force. His teeth were clenched tightly together, groans of agony rising from his throat as he struggled against whatever it was that had him pinned. Sweat rolled down his face in general amounts but his eyes stayed shut. Slowly but surely, a cut began on Atum's temple and slowly extended down the side of his face, blood dribbling along his skin.

Shireen's eyes widened, seeing the trail of red. She sat up from her former relaxed stance immediately and shifted to her knees, hand no longer on his shoulder but forcefully patting at Atum's face. "Atum! Wake up!"

The wound stopped growing and Atum jolted awake, eyes opened wide and red. For a moment, he looked as though he didn't know where he was, but slowly everything came back to him and he rested a hand on his face, only to pull it back when he felt the blood. He stared at the crimson liquid for a moment before looking at Shireen. "Thank you...thank you." He breathed. He had started to recollect himself, but it was clear he was shook to the core from what he saw.

"I tried t'wake you up 'fore that cut…" Her voice trailed, a frown creasing her forehead as her eyes were drawn to the blood. Reaching over, she lightly touched at the blood, pulling her finger back when she felt the wetness. It was real, that much was certain. "Here, let's get you sittin' up."

Atum sat up slowly, a sigh escaping him. "I slept harder than I intended..." He mumbled, shaking his head. "It was way worse than the first time. The first nightmare was just personal. This one was so...real." He touched the wound on his head again and winced.

"I was back in Tumar again. Back in what was left of my home." His gaze turned to the floor as he recalled the dream. His body still felt like it was back in Tumar. He'd only just now stopped sweating, but his body was still hot as if he'd been in the desert again.

Shireen had been fiddling in her satchel whilst he had been talking. Unsure of whether he wished to continue or stop, she decided it would be best to take care of the wound. She held out some bandages for him, quiet but clearly concerned.

"I was tied up again, like in the first nightmare. My..." He paused for a moment and his eyes narrowed as he remembered, "My dad was there. He was almost like he was when I buried him. Burned and..." He swallowed and shook his head once more. "But he was practically made of fire. I could see the flames rising from his throat whenever he spoke. It was in his eyes, even. He was going to execute me, just like the last dream. You woke me up just as he was dragging his blade down my face, towards my throat." Before that, he'd been drug through the scorching sand and beaten. He felt like his torso was covered in bruises, and knowing that he was bleeding from his face, he probably was.

He looked to Shireen, taking the bandages with a thank you as he applied them to the wound. "He was really going to kill me." He knew it wasn't his father, not really, but it took his face and his voice. "I thought it'd be easier, I felt more prepared this time..." He muttered.

"Dunno how prepared we can be, Atum." It was probably not comforting to hear, but the fact of the matter was clear to her. "If I hadn' woken you..." Would he have been dead? She didn't know, but at the very least he would have been very injured. "All I know is we gotta be very vigilant." Her teeth ground against each other, upset and frustrated yet not willing to show it. "How we're ever gonna be able t'rest..."

And even then, with the current discord between everyone in the storehouse, how were they to even find the princess and stop all the nightmarish madness from spreading?

"I dunno how're we're gonna do it, Atum." Her voice was low. "Y'think we can all do it, the state we're in? Fix up all this sh*t?"

Atum was silent as he thought about what Shireen had said. The odds were against them, no doubt. The group was filled with people who didn't know each other. Half of them didn't trust each other and the Untamed had nearly every advantage. And now they couldn't even rest without risking death. It seemed hopeless, and he could hear in her voice that she knew it.

"I don't know how we're going to fix this problem..and I don't know that we can." He started, biting his lip for a moment. "But, I think we have a chance to fix it. None of us have died yet, we know where the princess is, and, for better or for worse, we have magic on our side." He reached out, placing a hand on her shoulder. "The odds are not in our favor. But they're not completely against us either. I have faith that we can do this."

He believed every word of what he said, but he was still worried. The second group they ran into brought up more problems than he cared to admit.

Shireen sighed softly. She knew what he was saying was true, but even for a person like her, who always tried her hardest to see the bright side, it was hard to see the light for all the shadows. Yet she knew giving up was no option here. She had to help bring the world back to how it was. Back to a peaceful state where nightmares were just things you saw when you slept and for the most part forgot when you woke up.

Giving Atum a ghost of a smile, she nodded. "Aye, gotta have faith… guess it's just kinda hard t'always be positive." Taking a deep breath, she slowly let it out, eyeing the others who were still asleep. So far they seemed fine… maybe a little shuteye would be worth it, even for a few minutes.

"I'mma close my eyes for a bit," she said. "Make sure t'wake me up, even if ya gotta kick me."

"Yes. A little faith can go a long way." Atum nodded his head and returned her smile the best he could. "I'll keep close watch, don't worry." He assured her. "Rest up as much as you can." They were going to need to be in good condition tomorrow.

"As much as I can, aye." Shireen cast a grateful glance in his direction before leaning back against the bags of grain. Half wishing she had her hat to cover her face, she closed her eyes.

Sleep did not waste its time in visiting her, and once again Shireen found herself on a rocking ship, wind blowing through her long auburn locks. Don' tell me… She didn't even have to turn away this time. Jarus was standing there before her, looking the same as ever, save for the expression on his face. It was hard and cold, as if all the warmth had been sucked from him.

"You're just a dream." The words came out harshly, but Shireen knew she had to harden herself. If she didn't, she would get hurt as well. She had to wake up-

"It's your fault we're dead, Shireen." Jarus took a step forward, and as he did she could see that it wasn't just his expression that seemed cold, but his eyes… in fact, they were completely black, like obsidian.

"You're… not real!" Shireen reached down to her waist to grab her sword but found herself simply reaching for air. It wasn't there, despite how careful she was at always keeping her blade close.

"If you hadn't been born, your mother would still be alive, Shireen." That voice- Shocked, Shireen could only watch as Jarus took another step towards her. Even as he did, she watched in horror as something seemed to grow out of his neck like an overgrown tumor, until features could be seen.

"P-Pa-" The words came out choked as she stumbled back, falling onto the wooden floor of the main deck. She tried to get up but any chance of that was put to a stop as Jarus reached her and slammed a foot against her chest, keeping her pinned in place. As she struggled to move another head was beginning to show, this one growing out of Jarus' chest, looking down at Shireen, though there were no features save for a large grinning mouth. From either side of the head dark limb-like tendrils burst out of Jarus' chest, each one wrapping themselves around Shireen's throat.

"I died bringing you to the world." The voice was raspy, unfamiliar. Even as the head spoke, the tendrils around her neck began to tighten.

"We died because of you," the three heads said in unison. "Now, you must die, Shireen!"

Unable to move, Shireen clawed at her neck, trying in vain to rid herself of the tendrils that were trying to suffocate her to death.

Atum was thinking about their next move when he caught notice of Shireen clawing at her throat. Cursing under his breath, he grabbed her by her shoulders and shook her. "Wake up Shireen, wake up!"

Her eyes burst open and she struggled to sit up, only to realize she was already sitting. Gasping for air, she gingerly touched her neck; though she was unable to see it, there were bruises that were beginning to show. Her hand lowered to her chest, feeling a sting of pain where the boot had slammed into her.

"Thanks," she managed, still trying to catch her breath. From the corner of her eyes, she could see the others. "Atum- we gotta wake them too!"

"Right!" Atum was quick to act, practically jumping to his feet as he rushed to wake the others. "Everyone, wake up!" He yelled as loudly as he could. Amal jolted awake from his owner's yell, trumpeting loudly in confusion and surprise.

Shireen got to her feet a little more slowly, wincing at both the pain from the bruises around her neck and to her chest. As she did, she made sure to pick up her sword as well. Who knew when she would need it. The way things were headed, she wouldn't be surprised seeing a multi-headed monsters stepping through the door towards them.​

Last edited:
He felt it. An unforgettable and undeniable settling anger deep in his chest. Betrayal. He felt betrayed by his peers, and yet he couldn't grow too infuriated with them because they too felt that emotional scarring that is betrayal. Perhaps he shouldn't of revealed his past? Jenerith was wrong, these people couldn't understand. They wouldn't. How could they even begin to sympathize with a murderer. A killer for a hire. Someone who, once upon a time, was known as one of the best mercenaries in the underground. He got the job done. No, they can never understand him. Jenerith was wrong. They would've hated him then, and they would hate him now.

He opened his mouth as if he was going to speak up. Ready to justify himself. How he fought besides Darin in the shadows against the untamed. He indirectly warned him on approaching these men alone when they first entered the bar. He burned the city down with Ardryan, and even when he wanted to have his group escape Norcrest he decided to stay with them to save a bunch of strangers! Yet it would be to no avail, the man was overly concerned with Rion's safety and for good reason.

When Sindri spoke up, it seemed to be the only person on his side in the room. Tensions were high. The boy they saved and the lady that held to him watched him as though he were a monster. The skin on his flesh rose to form rigid goosebumps that had his hairs on end. Casey held onto Henry as if life depended on it. That's what truly boiled his blood.

Don't look at me like that! I'm no monster!

You're nothing but a monster.

He glanced to Alana, then Rayela who made the statement that he shouldn't be apart of this group. They both had this distrust in their eyes, and perhaps...fear?

Fear? Fear?! They fear me? No...Ardryan say something.

There is no one that can save you.

He looked to the man who shared just as much sin as he did, the one he burned the city with, who he felt an unnatural attachment to. He didn't say a word. Nothing. He truly seemed out of it.

I'm...alone.

It's you and me against the world.

The only one who stood besides him were two strangers. Sindri and Atum. Even yet, they were wary. He was a former untamed. Never to be free from his curse.

"I-I…" He looked around the room, and took a deep breath. His heart continued to pound. The pounding never ceasing, nor dimming. Getting louder, growing heavier. It began to pulse in his ears, shaking him to the core. His temples vibrated, the same feeling he gets when a drummer boy beats to the sound of his bass drum as he parades through the town square. He had to sit down. He sat away from everyone, above a barrel and leaned against the wall. "I'm sorry…" He mumbled, as the parading ceased and so did his consciousness. Exhaustion consumed him.

"Papa," Delilah pulled on the sleeve of her Father's tunic, who didn't seem to notice her calls. She tugged harder, twisting her face in annoyance, "Papaaaa!"

"Huh?" The pounding began once again and he looked around rather frantickly. Where was he? Oh. The festival. He was at the festival. How could he forget. He looked down at his daughter and smiled. She was beautiful, and looked just like her mother. The same bulbous brown eyes, sharp nose, and round chubbiness in the cheeks. She's his angel, his-

Purpose behind living, was it?

"What?" His eyes widened, that voice. The guttural voice. It sounded all too familiar. Like the voice of a loved one, yet there was a strong sensation deep in the pit of his stomach, letting him know whatever it was wasn't his friend.

"May I have one please? It looks so good." The smell of honeysuckle hit his nostrils and he froze.

"Delilah," His mouth opened. He remembered. Darin. Rion. Ardrayn. Everybody in that stock house. Wait-

"The explosion." His muscles tensed up and the same guttural voice he heard began to jitter. There was so much hostility behind his voice, hatred, something so evil it wasn't of this Earth. And yet, it felt like he was connected to it.

"Papa?" She looked up at him and he grabbed her, lifting her up in his arms and jolting towards the opposite direction.

"Honey, close your eyes. Just close your eyes!"

"Papa, what's going on?!"

He shoved forcefully through the crowd of people, pushing men, women, and children out of his path. Each one yelling at him, or cursing his name. But he wouldn't stop until he knew they were safe. The bell for the ceremony sounded, and his heart slammed against his rib cage. His hands tightened around her and he began shaking slightly. "Out of the way! Everyone move!"

Then it happened. An explosion far in the distance. But they were safe. Away from the blast radius. He smiled, and although such a terrible thing occurred he laughed while attempting to catch his breath. They were okay, she was okay.

"We're okay baby, we're okay," Delilah didn't make a sound. "Baby?"

He gently laid her down and she smiled up at him, "Yeah Papa," Her smile morphed into something more wicked. Stretched from one ear lobe to the other. Her eyes widened abnormally, and her eyelids became slits like that of a snake. "We're okay."

Wymond quickly moved away from the being he thought was his daughter. He tried getting up but in his state of shock he was only able to drag himself backwards. The world around him fell away, becoming pitch ball. It seemed to only be him, and that thing.

"What-" He couldn't get the words out, choking on them through fear, "What the hell are you?!"

His daughter's body began to bubble like boiling water. Her skin changing color, growing in size, eyes shifting uncontrollably in her head until it became a completely different entity. It took the form of a man. It was-

"I'm you."

"What?"

"Surprised to see me?" It was a far younger version of Wymond. He was wearing the same cuirass except it was in much better condition, and so was the sword on his hip. "It's been a while, I'm sure."

"Why are you doing this to me! Why are you haunting me like this?!"

"Enough! Listen to yourself," The imposter marched over to Wymond, who was still on the ground shocked at what he was witnessing. "You're weak! You're nothing like me! That's exactly why you lost your wife, exactly why you lost your daughter, and exactly why you shouldn't have anyone holding you back. It makes you weak!" The imposter thrusted a boot into Wymond's chest and the crack of the landing forced him to fall backwards. He gripped his chest, rolling on the ground in pain. "Look at you, pathetic."

Wymond attempted to crawl away, but the entity disguised as him followed at the same snail-like pace. Finally stopping him with a kick that sent him right onto his back. "Wymond, these people don't like you, why do you fight for them? You say you want to die. Yet, you fight to keep them alive. Oh, I get it." He began to bellow a haughty laugh. "You miss that sensation right, of taking a life?"

"No!"

"Lies!" His shout was powerful, Wymond could feel the empty world around him shaking. "You enjoyed running down that hill, into the haste of battle! Look! Remember this boy?" It's face shifted, forming into the face of the young man he slaughtered when attempting to defend Darin. It's voice turned might softer and slightly nasally. "I had a mum and two brothers, I fought for the Untamed because they threatened to kill my brothers and then violate my mum. I didn't wanna die."

"I-I-" Wymond was still gripping his chest as he leaned forward, "I had to!"

The voice was back, that same, nasty, powerful voice,"You don't have to do anything! But you wanted to. Yes, yes. Had and want are two different things. The lines drawn between them are vivid and quite clear. I see what side you're on Wymond. That's why I granted you with my powers."

"Your powers? What exactly are you!"

It began to laugh as it took a step back. Snapping his fingers, a scythe rose from the ground and the face began to change once more. Only this time it was covered by a cloak before Wymond could see it. Chains were wrapped around the handle of the scythe and around it's ankles. "I am you. Death itself. And you are my new play toy, the bearer of my power. One of the few who have the chance to inhabit it."

"And if I decide to deny it?"

"It's too late for that. You spread a curse around the town. That boy, Casey, every single living person in that town is doomed with whatever you laid upon them. It's your fault."

Wymond grew infuriated and stood up, he let go of his chest even though it was still in intense pain, "No, I'm nobodies play thing. I'm done with that part of my life!"

Death moved towards him, the chains rattling with every step. This time it didn't mumble a word, and Wymond realized how much taller it really was. He grew colder, but didn't back down from where he stood. "You won't be done until the day you die. In fact, I control whether you can speak to your family from the afterlife or not. Don't make me take that from you. Be a good little servant and do as I say." He reached forward, pressing a sharp and crooked nail against Wymond forehead. "Or else."

Blood began to trickle down Wymond's forehead as soon as he woke up. He woke up gasping for air, the thick blood staining his lap as he bent forward keeping a hand over his chest. At least one of his ribs were broken and he was in intense pain. He looked around the room at everyone else squirming in their sleep Atum and Shireen attempting to wake them. He wanted to help but he couldn't move. Whether it was the shock or the soreness that roamed his body he didn't know. But he couldn't move.

"Wake-" He took another deep breath, "them up...hurry."

9bab16a6793cdb0629f7efa18ec54fd8.png

A dark nothingness greeted him, a void stretching forever. No land, no men, no sound. Only him in the glowing dark, illuminating the absence of the world, an infinite black empty field. No light, no sight, no smell. Only him.

Ardryan waited. His heart beat noiselessly, his expectant gaze encountered no change. No distraction. Only him.

Ardryan waited. The inferno inside of him didn't writhe or rage, only built, a silent inevitable flood. It didn't whisper, didn't scream, didn't utter a single word. Yet he knew what it was. His ocean of guilt on high tide.

Ardryan waited. His hands fumbled and twitched and shook nervously, yet his senses were deadly unresponsive. He trusted them. There was no danger. Heatless sweat covered his forehead, rolling down his face, soaking his shirt. The still air was cool and pleasant.

Ardryan waited. A mass rose in his throat, suffocating. His breath was shallow and quick, impossibly desperate. The taste of fear was unexpectedly lacking, his tongue a numb slab of meat unwilling, unable to make a sound.

The ocean built, pressing against his senses, bringing buried things to the surface. They floated like corpses, expressionless, judging.

His composure cracked, the walls breaking, the dam coming down under the weight of the river. Slowly, agonizingly, it bled through him like venom, accusing, reminding. A single memory.

2 years he ran from it, the death of Lorraine. 2 years of losing himself in the war, throwing himself onto the frontline like a man determined to die yet recoiling in themoments of certain peril like a coward. 2 years of hiding his brother, his friend, his love like his own shame, as if Lorraine wouldn't truly die as long as he could keep it a secret.

So he buried the shame and the grief and the sin under wars, missions, battles. Distractions. And in the empty nothingness here there was no distraction to be found. The nightmare hadn't tormented him, it had merely taken away all his excuses, stripped him of his armour.

Ardryan's wails and weeps were soundless as the void. The pain slashed across his insides like blades, fire, salt. His love was gone. His love was dead. He was alone. Alone. The rapist's bastard, marked by murder and death. Unwanted, abhorred. Alone.

He could not bear it, this alien suffering. It was too much, too much. It was killing him, killing him. He could not bear it.

Nails raked across his forearm drawing blood. Bodily pain, familiar like an old friend. A temporary distraction, a weapon he could use against the agony a thousand times worse in his heart. His nails ran across his forearm again, harder, scraping away skin and flesh in shallow ragged wounds. Crimson soaked through his fingers like wine.

Still the twisting torment would not lessen, would not relent. His hands desperately dug into his thighs, chest, neck, anywhere without injury, as if trying to cleanse himself with his own blood. As if shedding skin to become someone else not burdened by this pain. His nails ripped and broke, snagging on strips of flesh. He bit his own tongue and lips, smashing his head against the unseen ground, fighting an intangible force searing him from the inside out. He would win, he would beat the suffering back, he just needed more of the kind of pain that was his, a few slash more...

The terrified voice of the others brought him back. Blood soaked the floor beneath him like a bath of wine.

Last edited: