C

colorprincess

Original poster

THE SIGN UP THREAD IS NOW LIVE

6t1b0i.jpg

What do you think of when you think about our "modern world?"

"Selfish?" "Boring?" "Normal?"

Hah. You wish.

For a while, everything was pretty normal… Until one fateful day. A blindingly white flash engulfed the globe, shining brilliantly for less than a minute. Once the light faded, the world had dramatically transformed. Trees had been uprooted, buildings were leveled, the skies had clouded over with dull grey clouds, people who couldn't handle the shock were discovered dead once the dust settled… After what survivors had come to call the Great Flash, the world was decimated. Honestly, it looked as if it had been hit with a nuclear bomb. Not only that, but dangerous creatures (known collectively as the Infected) took to Earth's newly ruined environment and made it their home. Infected hunt indiscriminately, seeking out any life forms they can find to consume. Many supernatural entities and other races were violently ejected from their dimensions and stranded on Earth with no way to return to their original worlds or lands.

Nobody is really sure what caused the flash, or whether it will happen again.

What everybody is certain of, however, is that it's getting worse.

The sun very rarely comes out or shines bright enough to properly illuminate the world – it's as if somebody had turned it down to a permanently dim setting. Wildlife is harder and harder to come by, urban areas are either wrecked so badly that people abandoned them long ago, or they're crawling with Infected. People have grown violent or driven to the brink of insanity, causing many to start banding together to try and survive, raiding stores or making trade with either post-apocalyptic merchants or others they encounter that are willing to trade. Supernatural entities and other races of life forms are a very common sight – and a good number of them are joining forces with humans they come across in an effort to survive together.

Who am I?

The name's Kristian Frosse. I started out just trying to survive on my own, but there's definitely power in numbers. That's why I've started recruiting people into my group. This hell we all have weighing on our shoulders keeps trying to crush us… but we're not going down like that. Not without a fight. We don't take in just anybody… I've got to look out for my family, y'know? But if you can prove you're to be trusted… well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

There's no going back.

Our futures are forever changed.

This is our nightmare.

WORLD BUILDING:

WHAT ARE THE INFECTED?

Infected are what all life forms have come to know as the inky black quadrupedal figures that infest our world. They have freakishly long limbs and horribly misshapen bodies, which they can contort and shift however they please, and they always seem to drip a strange black liquid off of their bodies that smells absolutely putrid. Long talons adorn the ends of their feet, perfect for grabbing and ripping into their prey. Their mouths are full of razor-sharp teeth, and their saliva has toxic properties.

Infected are not intelligent creatures in the slightest – all they know is killing, eating, and occasionally turning other species into Infected to keep up the population.

Infected do not need to sleep. They get their energy from eating other life forms around them, and they are strictly carnivorous. Though this might make them seem more terrifying, it's actually a blessing in disguise. Because they constantly need food in order to keep their energy up, Infected are not very physically strong. You could easy bludgeon one to death with a baseball bat, or your bare hands if you're brave enough.

Their eyes are large, very bright glowing colored orbs, and the colors can vary depending on what type of Infected they are:

RED – Red Infected are your run-of-the-mill Infected species. They have no additional abilities and have average stamina.

BLUE – Blue Infected have an affinity for water, and for good reason: they can manipulate their bodies and move much easier in bodies of water or heavy rain. This species of Infected does not stray far from bodies of water and are most commonly found in lakes or abandoned swimming pools. They don't like fighting or hunting out of water, so as long as their prey isn't in grabbing distance of their long limbs, they won't attack… probably.

PURPLE – Purple Infected cannot shape shift or contort their bodies like other species and are much slower in comparison to even humans, but their venom is much more potent and cause more damage. They have the strongest jaws and most toxic saliva out of all Infected species.

WHITE – White Infected have an ability to manipulate their victim's perception of them through hypnotism: they can make their victim think they're fighting a loved one as opposed to an Infected, rendering the victim reluctant or unwilling to attack. They use that pause as their chance to attack/kill their opponent. It's possible to break free from their hypnotism via strong awareness and "mind over matter," but most people just run away from White Infected species.

If a human (or any other race, but humans especially) is bitten by an Infected and does not get the wound treated, they run the risk of turning into an Infected themselves. Once a human becomes an Infected, they have lost every aspect of their identity – their memories, emotions, motivations, bonds… every remnant of what made them human is wiped clean from their brains and replaced with only one thought process: Kill. Eat. Multiply. Repeat.

Supernatural entities or other races naturally have a better immunity to Infected toxins, so they do not need to be treated as quickly as humans do to prevent turning, but if left long enough, they too will become a mindless, murderous Infected.

Nobody really knows how or why, but the Great Flash stranded many supernaturals and other races on post-apocalyptic Earth. They cannot return to their home worlds or lands, so they do their best to make the most of what they've got here.
Any supernatural entity or race is allowed here, as well as what powers they may (or may not) have. I encourage creativity, but if your character runs a high risk of being too OP or god-modding, then I reserve the right to tell you to tweak them a bit.

Here's a list of beings that are unique to the thread:

Infected – See first spoiler.

Elementals – Elemental is the common term for people who were mutated in some way by the Great Flash. They physically and genetically are human, but they possess powers that allow them to control elements in nature – these range from basic elements (like water) to more unique areas (like shadows). The possibilities are vast.
As mentioned before, many life forms have started to form groups in order to increase survivability. Among those is Kristian Frosse, the leader of his own bunch. He views those he allows into the group as part of his family, and he'd do damn near anything to keep them safe. It's an expected rule that everybody in the group (with the exception of Deadweights) is ready and willing to defend each other in conflicts. An ultimate goal of his -- other than survival, of course -- is to get to the bottom of what's going on... it's going to take way more than just himself and a few others. Collaboration is key, and he knows it. Now if only he could stop being so selective and think about the big picture of everything...
Kristian's group as an established hierarchy within it:

Leader (Kristian Frosse, Ice Elemental)
Like the title implies, the leader of the group… well, leads the group. In this case, it's Kristian Frosse. He has the final say in all of the group decisions, which mostly pertain to things like where the group should go next, whether or not they should set up camp in a particular location, etc.

Adviser (Open)
The group adviser is the leader's right-hand man. They're the ones that have the closest bond with the leader, and they help the leader make decisions that concern the group. Should anything happen to the current leader, the adviser will step up and become the group's new leader.

Medic(s) (Open)
Medics are those that are gifted with healing powers of all kinds. They know how to fight, but either prefer not to, or are not best suited for it. Medics are highly valued and most often are supernatural entities.

Able Bodies (Open)
These are average group members that can hold their own in a fight. Able Bodies can be anything from human to supernatural entity. If the group is running low on supplies, then some Able Bodies are selected to seek out more.

Deadweight (Open)
A Deadweight is any group member that cannot defend themselves – this includes those who are sick, elderly, children, or pregnant. Despite the unflattering name, these group members are treated with just as much respect as the others, and they are taken care of to the best of the group's ability.

Any being that doesn't belong to Kristian's group is considered a loner, but that doesn't mean that your loner characters can't band together with other players' characters. If a loner wishes to join Kristian's group, they have to prove they're trustworthy… in whatever way Kristian sees fit.

CURRENT LONERS:
n/a

Overall Summary:
After the world's natural and celestial balances are upset by the apocalyptic Great Flash that happened on Earth, humans and stranded supernaturals alike are forced to survive and coexist in post-apocalyptic Earth, which has become heavily infested with a primitive, carnivorous species called Infected. The RP (should there be enough interest) will start approximately two years after the Great Flash.

What caused the Great Flash?
Could it happen again?
Why did it drag beings from other dimensions into one singular dimension?
Is somebody behind the creation of the Infected?
Everybody wants answers, but those will come with time… right now, the priority is to stay alive.

Will you align yourself with a group, or strike out on your own? The choice is yours, but once you step inside this hell, there's no going back.

This is our new normal.
This is our nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
*pulls up a nice comfy bean bag chair and waits*
aka my expressing interest, because this sounds 120% amazing

So I've done quite a few post apocalyptic rolpeplays in the past, but I always love peoples take on them, and seeing as the last one was over a year ago, I'm down to be a part of a new one.

So count me in (:

Nice! If anybody has some plot bunnies they want to discuss or throw into the mix, I'm open to that. While I have some ideas for how I want to progress the action after a certain point, what happens depends on what direction players take it. Feel free to spitball ideas my way if you have any!

Hey! I'm expressing my tentative interest. Real life stuff might prevent me from joining the proper roleplay, but consider me in as of right now. c:

Random question. Are you planning on creating a Discord server for OOC chat?

Edit: Also, are you thinking art or faceclaims for character appearance references?

Last edited:
Hey! I'm expressing my tentative interest. Real life stuff might prevent me from joining the proper roleplay, but consider me in as of right now. c:

Edit: Also, are you thinking art or faceclaims for character appearance references?

I understand! Thanks for expressing interest.

I've never used Discord before, actually! I'm open to the idea though. Are we more leaning towards a thread, or a server?

I don't have a preference for character appearance. You may use whatever you want!

Reactions: Spectre of the Fade

I understand! Thanks for expressing interest.

I've never used Discord before, actually! I'm open to the idea though. Are we more leaning towards a thread, or a server?

I don't have a preference for character appearance. You may use whatever you want!
I prefer roleplaying in threads, personally. The setup I've seen in other roleplays is keeping the sign up sheets and the in character stuff on Iwaku, with a Discord server as an out of character area. It's an instant messaging app, with the option for multiple text channels, voice chat. All kinds of things. I'm familiar with the app and I could give you a "tour", if you'd like?

Awesome! I usually use face claims, sometimes realistic art, so I suppose I'll wait for the sign ups to see which will fit better. ^^

Reactions: colorprincess
Here to place my interest claim! Love the idea, and how differently the infected can act.

Question, there isn't any barriers on types of race our characters can be, but will humans or elementals have stigmas against races that seemed to only have come after the flash? Like say the advisor position was held by someone other than human, would most people be for or against them being in a leadership position? Just wondering is all, since I have a few ideas for a tiefling-esque character <3

Hey I'm interested!!!!

Here to place my interest claim! Love the idea, and how differently the infected can act.

Question, there isn't any barriers on types of race our characters can be, but will humans or elementals have stigmas against races that seemed to only have come after the flash? Like say the advisor position was held by someone other than human, would most people be for or against them being in a leadership position? Just wondering is all, since I have a few ideas for a tiefling-esque character <3
I can't speak for @colorprincess but I do believe that would depend entirely on the person, as in a post-apocalyptic scenario 'civil status' and such wouldn't really be a thing, so people would be less apt to conform to such standards, and as a result, x character might be racist against the supernatural races, but in general I do not believe 'most people' would be, unless of course the group is somehow comprised of assholes. hope this helps ^.^

Reactions: cry

Well, the idea behind Kristian's group is that they're all a family, so ideally there wouldn't be any discrimination against one another in the group... however, I won't tell you that you can't have that tension. Just be aware that if Kristian is made aware that anybody in his "family" is being discriminated against, he'll give the racist absolute hell.
So, to sum it up: I won't tell you that you can't have discrimination among members since that can be used for interesting plots and interactions, but please keep it to a minimum. As interesting as in-fighting is, the point of Kristian's group is that they stick together, no matter what their background is.

Also, I'm in the process of making the sign-ups and discord server (for OOC purposes) now!

Reactions: cry
@Neo. Ah thank you! I figured the same myself, but it's always nice to see that other people have the same thoughts. I figure most people would rather stick to someone from another world that isn't trying to kill than rather than run out with all the infected haha c:

@colorprincess Ah okay! Kristain seems like a very family-orientated man, which is a good thing in these circumstances. I doubt anyone will really have a problem with it, but I at least wanted to know your take on it. And yay! Can't wait for the OOC and sign-ups <3