Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. Multiple posts per week
  5. 1-3 posts per week
  6. One post per week
Online Availability
Depends on how crazy my life is at any given moment, but I'm usually online- at least for OOC purposes- at least once a day.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Medieval Fantasy, SciFi, Modern/Superhero, Dystopian
Color is a powerful tool in writing. Proper description and hints at the coloring of settings and objects- and yes, even people- can set the scene with emotions that the writer wishes to convey. The proper combinations of colors can warn of impending disaster, show a character slipping into depression, or finish off a happy ending with a nice little bow.

The most common example of color association is black and white- black is often associated with night, darkness...evil, if you will. And on the opposite side of the spectrum, there is white. White is usually shown as being light, hope, and on the side of good.

So what is the purpose of this exercise series?

I want you to take a color that I give you...and twist it. I want you to take the common feeling of a color, weave it into your writing, and then shatter the preconception of what we thought it was. I want you to make an evil color good, and a good color evil. I want love to turn to hatred, and hatred to love.

...I'm sure you get the point.

RULES:
The most important rule to remember is that there are no rules. The only thing you have to do is twist the association!

Post length- anything!

Setting, genre, style- anything!

Wanna write a poem? Sure. One sentence? Sure. A novel will be fine if that's what you wanna do.

Really, the only thing I ask is that you (a: twist the association and (b: tell me if you don't want me to give you a review.

red
Today's color is: RED
XbkSQjz.png
Red is often associated with strength, health, vigor, lust, and danger.

Happy writing, folks!

divider by @Quincunx

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
Hannah ducked as she entered the odd looking dwelling that seemed carved into the heart of the largest tree she had ever seen. What was this place and who had done this? Her ind was asking a million questions as her eyes took in the glory of the intricately carved staircase that descended into the heart of the ancient willow. The wood surround her was a dark red hue and she wondered at it. At the bottom she noticed a group of winged creatures, circling a fire of blue in a round stone firepit in the center of the room. She could not stand straight, and they did not seem to notice her presence as yet. Why was the fire blue?

She was mesmerized by the dance the fairies were performing until she realized that the red of the wood was fading to an odd bluish color and that the flame was becoming more and more red. her audible gasp alerted them and her eyes were wide when she saw their anger. The group resumed their dance but one moved toward her, "Get out! This is not for you to see!"

"What are you doing?"

"You would not understand...."

"Try me."

The fairie regarded her, "Very well. In simple terms we are putting things to right. This tree was magically robbing fire of its warmth and color. We are merely reversing that process."

Hannah blinked, "Wait...are you saying that blue fire from before was not hot?"

A nod was her only answer.

"I do not believe it. I have seen blue flames and they were hotter than red ones."

An exasperated sign left the fairie's lips, "Frankly, I could care less if you believe me or not. This is why humans and fairies do not mix. You are unbelievers. you cannot accept anything that you do not experience daily, even if you see it with your own eyes. Fools."

Hannah crossed her arms indignantly, "Now you listen here Mister....you can't just..."

Before she could finish the tree changed and began to pulsate in a heavy pumping rhythm, and began once more to turn bright red as the flame returned to it's former bluish color. She stood and went to it and realized it was indeed cold to the touch. "How very strange..."

She went and touched the red wood of the tree, and it too was cold. "But why is the tree not hot then?" She could not rationalize any of this.

"Because this is dark magic intended to alter the reality of the human world. And you have disrupted the ritual and now we must begin again before the magic infects more trees. Now..be gone...this does not concern you!"

Hannah huffed, "If it is going to change the human world then i say it does concern me. how can I help?"

"Burn the tree down around us while we finish the ritual."

Hannah blinked, "but...other trees will burn as well."

"So be it. Better to lose a few trees than the whole fabric of reality as you know it."

Hannah scrambled up the stairs and out the door and looked at the old regal tree. tears streaming down her cheeks as she was about to toss the match at it, her father caught her hand. "What are you doing Hannah?"

"Daddy...the fairie said i have to burn this tree down."

her father looked at her with scorn, "Hannah you really need to get your imagination under control."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: noodle