We Are The Cure IC

Cerulean

But does he know about second breakfast?
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
  2. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
I like most. However, I have found I am most comfortable with Fantasy, Sci-fi, Fandom, and Modern.
The sounds of machines beeping and medical staff rushing surround you. It is nearly time. You came from far away to end up on a ship adrift in space. This corporate ran, sci-fi hospital has served as your home the last few days. At least the staff here were attentive and seemed knowledgeable. That confidence helps when shoving needles, IVs, and whatever else into random strangers.

209cae43f6343abdb1f42f7800fd0456.jpg

In fact, that is the last thing you remember. A brightly colored bag was being put up before a sedative put you back into dreamland.

50cf067980de98ffa15ae2f96e287cd9.jpg

11:47am - April 11, 2782 (Present Day)
Aboard the JC Milan1012 somewhere in space

The room you wake up in is different that before, in that it is not the same one and it is filled with several other patients. Nobody in a white coat seems to be around. It was still nicely lit with the machines just working away monitoring your vitals and keeping you hydrated. The walls were pure white, giving a sense purity and high standards. Everything about the room was organized and perhaps methodical. Well-funded.

The strange, green bags had no labels but already seemed to have been pumped into your veins. The thing you signed your life away on apparently comes in a plastic bag and forced into you, and several others, like it's a message from God himself!

But strangely, you feel fine. Better than fine. You feel normal. Something that you have not felt since you were diagnosed.

A voice comes over the intercom.

"Well good nearly afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This is Dr. Sawyer and I am letting you all know that it is nearly lunchtime. A nurse will be in to unhook you all in a moment. So come down the hall and join us in the cafeteria."

With a pop, the voice disappears. Dr. Sawyer was the man keeping tabs on you. A bald head and a scrauny frame painted a man who was in medicine for a while and did his best to keep you on the up and up. Now he was inviting you to lunch.

What will you do next?

“Well good nearly afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.”​

Gerry woke quietly with a voice gently shaking his head. Sleep still laid heavily across his legs and chest, his arms were as solid as ghosts.

Where am I?”, he thought, “Where’s mom?

“A nurse will be...”, the voice droned on but he could scantily pay attention, his head felt light and his body was still weighed down by sleep, but otherwise he felt...great. The overhead voice continued without waiting for him to adjust. “...come down the hall and join us in the cafeteria.”

Gerry hesitated for a moment before hesitating for another moment. This wasn’t the hospital he had started in and his mother was nowhere in sight. A small part of him was relieved. A larger part of him felt the dread of being without her. He didn’t know if the feeling was habit or genuine. He laid still, most of the activity happening in his mind as it raced to think, to understand his situation. The last he recalled was being put under, not that he needed it, but his dearest mother insisted he was a fidgety boy and he needed something to temper him and to sate her nagging they relented. He saw a variety of fairly standard medical instruments connected to his person along with a few he didn’t recognize. In lieu of his normal IV bags there hung a different sort with a strange green liquid nearly drained of its contents. Around him were other patients like him, just stirring awake or already awake, each one also had one of those green bags nearby. Seeing others sitting up, he did the same though not as upright in case they weren’t supposed to.

A small handful of nurses arrived, fanning out and unhooking them from their various instruments. He apologized for sitting up but the nurse only gave him an unreceptive smile and helped him rise. It was in this moment he realized he wasn’t in a traditional medical gown, but a sort of pajama set made of like materials. The room wasn’t your standard hospital room either. It looked similar to the high end rooms he was used to but with an unexplainable quality that made it seem off.

W-where am I? Is...is my mother here?Gerry asked. He instinctively hunched his shoulders and lowered his head slightly and her gaze. He wasn’t used to talking to people eye to eye despite his size, nor was he used to talking directly to people in general without his mother present in some fashion. “...Sorry.” he added quickly, not wishing to offend, as decent sons are wont to do.

“Down the hall to the cafeteria.” replied the nurse somewhat tersely. She seemed more about efficiency than friendliness. She gave him one last look over before walking away to other patients leaving him to his own devices it seemed.

Uncertain and more than a little afraid, Gerry stood there for a long series of moments. A small panic was starting in his gut, cold and spreading. It was the usual sense of dread that he had grown accustomed to when faced with a new situation. He hoped he didn’t black out again. He still had episodes despite his mother’s insistence it was simply him “acting out”. These episodes usually resulted in people angry with him or large swaths of time simply gone with new bruises or minor injuries as his only clue to where he’d been or what he’d done. And the notes. Notes from a man named Frank who seemed to always have access to him no matter what he did. His mother said there was no Frank and he was acting out of place, acting like a bad son. Still, Frank had helped him from time to time like some strange and absent guardian angel.

Unable to reconcile with his anxiety, he simply stood to the side, waiting for others to lead. Gerry wasn’t a leader. He was barely a follower. To call Gerry a wallflower would be close, but ultimately too active of a description for the man. So he stood and waited.

Last edited:
Where am I?

Water sloshed peacefully beneath her boat.
The air tasted salty, yet smelled of ganja.
There was nothing to be heard but birds, splashing, and the occasional hum of the wind.
Trees. Fish. Mud. Grey clouds. Mild temperature.
...home?

With a fishing pole in hand, and a joint between her lips, Alice stared into the water expectantly. She hardly moved, and didn’t make a sound. There was no reason to. Not when she was all alone, attempting to catch something for dinner.

Moments upon moments passed.
In Dreamland, she had no concept of time.
In Dreamland, she could be and do anything she wanted.
She could be safe, and alone.
...right?

No. Tilting her head back, she noticed the sky rapidly turning grim. The grey clouds darkened as they stretched out to where was no blue to be seen. Around her, the entire world became consumed in blackness until she was all that remained. That included the boat under her feet. Panic rushed through her mind and body as the fishing boat slowly vanished along with the pole in her hands. Have to escape. Have to survive. She tried to get her legs moving, but something was holding on. When she looked down, tendrils of darkness were wrapped around her limbs, slowly pulling her into the black water.

More panic.
Silent screaming.
Flailing.
This isn’t home.

“Weeellll ggggoooood nnneeeaarrlllyy aafteerrrnnooonnn--”

Words from the outside world were echoing in her Dreamland. Alice did her best to focus on them even though she was getting suffocated by shadowy waters. She reached up high and try to kick her legs, hoping she could rise to the surface, but to no avail. Her shaking hands then went to her throat as she watched the air escape from her lungs.

“IIII aaaammm llletting yyooouu--”

HELP.

“--all know that it is nearly lunchtime. A nurse will be in to unhook you all in a moment. So come down the hall and join us in the cafeteria."

It was then that Alice was finally waking from her nightmare. With wide eyes, a sweaty forehead, and labored breaths, she took in her pure white surroundings. More panic flowed through her, then. This was such a drastic contrast to the darkness of her mind, that very nearly swallowed her alive. Where was she? How long had she been asleep? In all honesty, Alice couldn’t remember just yet.

“You poor dear. Did you have a bad dream?” A calm, sweet voice entered her ears, prompting her to turn her head. Standing at her bedside was a nurse, looking on her with a sympathetic smile. She was beautiful, and...seemed so trusting.

“I-- I don’t even ha-have a fishing boat! I’ve been f-f-fishing, like, one time in my ha--whole life!” Alice blurted out to the nurse, her American voice sounding more on the alto end as far as pitches went. Tears built in her eyes as they focused on the nurse, because so far she was the only source of comfort for the anxious thirty-year-old.

The nurse just smiled warmly, reaching out to hold her by the hands. “So if you aren’t a fisherwoman, who are you? What do you like to do?” she asked, rubbing her thumbs back and forth on AJ’s knuckles. “Um…” She took her time to think, her heavy, shaking breaths starting to fall in sync with the motions of the nurse’s fingers. “I’m...I’m Alice. And...I...I like...cakes…” Pressing her lips together, and blushing with embarrassment, she knew how stupid that must sound. “I-I mean...decorating cakes, but--” “But you like eating them too, I’m sure?” The nurse interrupted with a chuckle, squeezing AJ’s hands when she was sure she calmed down enough. At that, her patient nodded, and made a single sniffle.

“Alice,” the nurse said to get her attention. Once they met eyes, she continued: “I need you to stay calm for me, all right? Why don’t you talk to me about your cake hobbies while I unhook you from these machines.” She pointed to the different pieces of equipment, as well as the empty green bag of strange ooze, to direct Alice’s eyes. The nurse seemed to know exactly how to talk to the anxious woman. When she pointed back to herself, making AJ’s eyes follow along with her, she smiled again. “Sound good?” Alice nodded, and proceeded to tell her about a time she designed quite an impressive ninja-themed cake for someone’s son a long time ago. By the end of it all, she was feeling more at ease. Still nervous as hell, but at least she wasn’t about to turn into a panicky mess.

With all that out of the way, the nurse left to help the next person. Gulping nervously, she slowly sat up, and analyzed the room. There were other people in here... Great. Just great.
Trying to not think about how she may have just humiliated herself in the company of strangers, she looked down at her right-hand wrist, realizing that...it didn’t hurt. Every way she bent it, there was no discomfort. Arching a brow, she next reached for her glasses sitting on a side table. They came off as quickly as they went on, because they blurred her vision. “I can see?” she murmured, alternating between squinting and widening her eyes. Surely enough, her vision was perfect. Biting her lower lip, she looked down at the glasses in her hands. Not needing them was great, but...they served as a thing of security for her. Her face felt so naked without them because of that, and the fact she’s worn them since she was five years of age.

More importantly, she so far felt no symptoms of her Huntington’s Disease. She felt...rested, despite that horrible nightmare. No involuntary twitches, no tremors, no weakness in her legs… This treatment really must have done the trick. Tears built in her eyes again, but not for feelings of sadness. They were tears of joy, dripping down onto her lap, hands, and lenses. For a moment, she could only sit there to process all these sudden changes.

Getting off that bed was going to be a challenge, she realized. Although her physical ailments were cured, the same couldn’t be said about her mental ones. Which made sense. That was a whole new realm of medicine and understanding, where she had to rely on herself to be ‘cured,’ or at least strong enough to live with those issues. An arm went across her nose and eyes before she looked up again, her sights eventually landing on a fairly large man standing out of everyone’s way. She watched him curiously, and made the quick conclusion that he didn’t want to be noticed. Just like how she tended to be.

With yet another nervous swallow, she made her way into a standing position on the floor, her glasses in hand. Both sets of fingers fidgeted crazily around the thick, black frames as she made her way towards this big guy. Generally, she liked to wait until someone else started for their destination, because the idea of leading absolutely terrified Alice. When side-by-side with someone as scared as she was, if not more scared, she tended to be a bit braver.

“Sc-Scary place, yeah?” her trembling voice barely spoke up, big brown eyes attempting to meet his. That lasted all of a few seconds. Redness filled her pale cheeks as she looked away, her heart rate going crazy all over again. People were scary; socializing with them was even scarier. “Come with me?” she almost pleaded with a nod towards the hallway, with both him and herself in mind. AJ managed a smile that, while brief, was as genuine as could be. "Uh, if you want to, that is..." As afraid as she was of being rejected, she feared staying in his hospital-looking room significantly more.

Last edited:
[fieldbox=", #00b3b3, dashed, 15"]
Junjie Tao
Matter Ingestion

Interaction
No one specific[/fieldbox]
Ladies.... Gentlemen...

The sound of the intercom disturbed his sleep, if he had been sleeping. The voice however sounded strangely far away and then closeby. The young asian almost felt like he was underwater, sucked in by the sea and thrown out again. A riptide, only less painful and with less pressure on his body. Junjie frowned as he tried to pull through, tried to fight off the drowsiness of probably a sedation.

Dr. Sawyer... nearly lunchtime

He could hear the words, but they were not progressed properly. He was too busy fighting of the nauseating feeling. He gripped onto the bedding beneath him, before his body suddenly jerked. He was upright within seconds and one of the nurses was only just in time to catch the contents of his stomach. He shivered as the female, or male, he wasn't too sure at the moment, said hushing words. He was still too focussed on trying to get control back over his own body. His stomach twisted again and he could feel the burn of stomach acid leaving him.

Cafeteria...

As second nurse had come over to get put his bed upright so when he moved back he was sitting up. He leaned his head back against the pillow, eyes closed once more. Junjie took some deep breaths to calm his body down again. This was a horrible feeling, though honestly he was feeling less horrible than normal. He let the nurses do as they pleased, unhooking him from the machines and fluids he was on. The sounds around him becoming more steady so it seemed and slowly he dared to open his eyes again.

The room wasn't spinning anymore and his sight was clear now. He looked through the unfamiliar room at even more unfamiliar faces. The nurses working efficient, before retreating, the other patients looking just as confused like him. Some like him still sitting in bed, others standing around or even pacing around. He turned toward the person closest to him. "Where are we?" he asked in fluent Hokkein. HIs brain not having picked up on the fact that English might have been a better choice, since he was surrounded by foreigners. Or maybe he was the foreigner? He had no idea. No idea where they were or who these other people were. He did however remember signing up for some treatment. Not that he had given it much hope. "Do you know what is going on?" he asked, still favoring his mother tongue over English.

His eyes traveled towards the person he was speaking to for a moment, before swinging his legs out of the bed. It was obvious they were supposed to go somewhere, otherwise they would not be unhooked. His legs trembled a bit as he put weight on them. Probably because he lost whatever nutrition he had left in his body. He made some unsteady steps as he held onto the bed for support. After a few steps he dared to stand on his own again, but he felt rather lost. His hands moving together, his fingers playing with his mothers ring, turning it around his left ring finger. It was a nervous habit as he looked a bit around, waiting for some one to take the lead, or someone to guide them further. Or perhaps for that message to be repeated, for all he could remember was a name. Dr. Sawyer.... "I guess we are suppose to go to the cafeteria?" He spoke unsure, but he had switched to English now as he looked back at his conversation partner.

Last edited:

-Kira Falkov-
|Intelligence Enhancement|
|Interactions: Junjie (@DarkiusHeavenstein)|
|Locatcion: Some kind of medical facility|

Kira felt her consciousness slipping back after who-knows-how-long of being out, and it wasn't exactly a welcome feeling. It was like trying to tear a velvet curtain in two with nothing but your bare hands. Every joint felt like it was on fire, and her muscles screamed their protest as she forced her eyes to open.

It was white. So white, and clean, and cold. Shadows hid in the corners of the room, the only place not completely lit by far too bright LEDs. She still wasn't fully awake. Quiet murmurs surrounded her. The nurses were asking her something, and an unintelligible voice was emanating from the ceiling. She just shook her head in reply, straining her ears to try and hear what they were saying- they knew full well she was nearly deaf, so why were they trying to speak to her?

As the nurses worked on her, her clear blue eyes drifted over to the room's other occupants.

Two were walking. The others seemed to be in a similar situation as her. And the one closest to her was trying to talk to her. His voice was too quiet to hear and she just squinted at him, trying to read his lips, but it looked like gibberish even to her.

He wasn't speaking English, that was for sure.

So she just shook her head again and waved her hand at him, a frown marring her features.

She waved her hand.

Surprised by the action that had seemed so natural, so painless, Kira looked down. Flexed her fingers. They weren't shaking anymore. It didn't hurt to move them.

Come to think of it, her entire body felt....normal. She blinked, and then, slowly, grinned widely.

It had worked. It had really....it worked.

She felt like crying and laughing and jumping all at once, but instead, she just shot her neighbor an excited look and grabbed her hearing aids from the bedside table once the nurses left her side. She slipped them into her ears in a hurried frenzy, brushing her short brown hair from her face in annoyance when it tried to entangle her fingers.

She just managed to catch the last thing he said. "....supposed to go to the cafeteria?"

Kira paused, frowning, and answered for the first time now that she could actually hear what he was saying. "I don't know. I couldn't hear anything before now," she responded honestly, tossing back the covers and moving to get up.

It was so frustrating, still being a bit slow. The stuff they'd put into her body had made her sluggish, and she just wanted to immediately start doing flips and cartwheels now that she was cured. But that would, annoyingly, have to wait until she could actually move without feeling dizzy.

She stood, her bare feet hitting the cold tile floor and her body straightening in a way she hadn't been able to since the disease had attacked her spine. "Oh god, that feels good," she mumbled, stretching her arms out and holding onto the bed frames to keep herself from falling over.

|#9b0029|

Last edited:
fright
►Chase Dreiser◄
►Bone Spike Protrusion◄

►Location:
???
►Interactions: The floor :<

Chase found himself waking up staring at the ceiling of a hospital room that was once again different than the one he’d been in last he was conscious. This wasn’t an entirely new sensation to him, it happened sometimes that something went wrong and he had his room moved. Whatever. It was, however, taking him several moments to note he didn’t recognize this ceiling. He spent enough time in hospitals and doctor’s offices for various reasons, he could usually identify them based on their ceilings alone.

Oh. And he could see.

...That one took a moment. He blinked. He definitely didn’t have his glasses on- he still reached a hand up to double check. Nope. Not on. He was so use to waking up and everything being a bit out of focus that the fact he was conscious and it wasn’t was a little disconcerting.

Right. JeanCorp.

It took a moment for him to remember. His gaze finally drifted from the ceiling, flicking between the medical devices attached to his body. Most of them were familiar. The emptied green bags were not. And then there was a voice over the intercom, and Chase closed his eyes for a moment as he listened.

...Join them in the cafeteria? There were several questions at once there. Perhaps foremost was where his braces were at; he didn’t feel their comforting presence. While he felt fine at present and supposedly the… treatment would have made the braces unnecessary, he was still slightly anxious. Getting up without the braces would hurt. He’d probably fall. His face screwed up a little at that particular thought.

A few moments later, his thoughts were interrupted. ”Mr. Dreiser?” a pause. ”Chase? It’s time to get up now.”

Chase opened his eyes, looking over the nurse that had come to start unhooking him from the machines. ”Hi. Yeah. I’m awake, sorry,” he offered a slight smile, ”Just… orienting myself a little bit, and thinking.”

”Not a problem at all, I just needed to make sure you were awake. Things probably are a bit disorienting for you at the moment, but it’ll subside, don’t you worry,” the nurse flashed a smile as she set about unhooking the various wires and tubes that had been keeping track of Chase in his sleep, and proceeding to help him sit up.

”Where… where are my braces? And glasses?” Chase asked, hesitating once he was sitting up with his legs hanging over the edge of the bed. He didn’t trust that he felt fine, or even that he could see properly.

”You don’t need them, dear,” the nurse reassured him, giving his back a brief rub, ”Take your time, but you’ll want to head to the cafeteria shortly like Dr. Sawyer suggested.” And she moved away to the next.

Chase frowned. Even without the disease, he wasn’t entirely certain of his ability to stand. Weakened muscles weren’t something to screw around with. But. If a medical professional was telling him otherwise… he had trusted them up until this point, and they hadn’t steered him wrong before.

He slid from the edge of the bed onto his feet tentatively and winced slightly, feeling an ache travel up from the soles of his feet to his thighs. But… it was more an ache of disuse. He held on the edge of the bed, but honestly felt more steady than he had in a very long time. His movements stayed relatively reserved and cautious as he started to stretch slightly, some things his doctors had suggested doing when he got up to try to help combat the disease.

The disease that is supposed to be gone, now, he reflected.

His gaze drifted over the others in various states of “up,” and he tilted his head to the side a little, pushing a couple wayward strands of hair back behind his ear. No one else was quite to the point of going to the cafeteria yet, it appeared…

Chase gave a little shrug and tentatively started moving across the room.

”Oh holy shit…” he breathed. He had been compensating for his shitty balance almost his entire life. Reprogramming those instincts was… weird. He stumbled almost drunkenly, ending up on his knees on the floor and sitting there for a few moments with his eyes closed. ”This. This is going to take some… getting use to…”

He looked back towards his bed. Oh.

There had been a cane left for him in anticipation of this particular problem. He let out a little frustrated sigh. Admitting he needed the cane didn’t sit well with him.

But sitting on the floor was worse.

He slid across the floor, deciding it was safer than standing again, then grabbed the cane and got himself up. The extra balance point seemed to work wonders, and Chase was able to make his way across the room. Still with some problems, but not nearly as many as there had been just moments before.

”Cured. But still clumsy as all get out.”

Gerry flinched internally as he was approached by a woman nearby. He didn't want to talk to her, or anyone, he wanted his mom. Well, no he didn't, but she was the closest thing to safety could think of at the moment. The lights reflected too brightly off the too white walls and every electric hum felt like a handful of angry bees screaming in his ears. Still, she deserved a look. People expected you to pay attention to them, after all. That's what polite boys did. Despite knowing this he let the moment linger before looking up at her. She was... pretty. When she spoke he recognized her voice, or rather he recognized the same hesitation, the same uncertainty. It made things somewhat easier.

"Yeah..." he managed to whisper. "I'm sorry. M-m-my name is Gerry Lewitski, ma--uh... ma'am." The words crawled out of him hesitantly, as if afraid of the light. He shrunk into himself and let her lead or speak, whatever she was going to do. Telling this woman his name had felt draining and his heart paced more quickly than before.

He made an attempt to calm himself by looking around the room, focusing on anything to center himself. Gerry scanned the room quickly using mostly his periphery. He wanted to at least be aware of everyone's position. Many were already roused, some standing and talking, thankfully unaware of him. It was then he noticed the windows. They seemed thicker and a light shone through them, though all he could see was the evening sky. How? He held onto that thought as he waited on the woman. She seemed nice enough, certainly nicer than the nurse. She had a relaxing quality to her that he couldn't quite put into words. He supposed he would wait to see if that were true in the long run.

"Sorry." Gerry said again. Not that he had done anything, but the silence between them had gone for a few seconds longer than he had hoped and he was officially approaching the end of his social skills.

CARTER REID
He could see her standing in the kitchen of his childhood home, red lips curled in a smile that brought life the room. She was young and vibrant and most notable alive. He couldn’t quite understand why she was there, her arms held out towards him as she encouraged him to walk to her. Carter could barely recall this moment in his life as it played out now in his dream since he had been an infant at the time but now his mother was there in front of him, every detail of her perfect. He frowned as he moved towards her, his brain confused by the absence of her voice which seemed to be replaced with other noise, bleeping of alarms and foreign voices.

“We’re losing him…”

“He’s back into vent fib..., I need another tube.” Voices continued echoing.

And then suddenly, the scene before him dissipated briefly into white, a light so intense he squinted and tried to focus. It was only a few seconds as he opened his eyes, his sight a foggy haze in which he could make out shadowy figures looming over him. Everything seemed slow in time, the voices still whirring in around his mind in a confusing onslaught. Soon enough that faded too, Carter drifting back into unconsciousness as the medical team worked tirelessly to stabilize their patient. It had been a sudden cardiac arrest but not at all unexpected.

Only days before he had set foot into this new ship based hospital, signing official paperwork to give himself over to a medical trial. Any kind of answer to his medical affliction had to be better than death and though carter was not one to openly admit it, he was terrified of the thought that he was about to die. The staff members were calm and pleasant which hit his emotion somewhere in the middle of comforting and worrying. The trial in question was somewhat vague and perhaps it had simply been his need to live that had allowed him to throw such caution to the wind in regards to signing up for something he knew absolutely stuff all about.

The following few days were agonizingly slow; a constant struggle to complete the most basic of movements as he found himself constantly short of breath. Carter struggled to come to terms with the fact that at just 30 years old he couldn’t manage to walk down the hallway of the hospital ward without wheezing like an 80 year old habitual smoker. Slowly as he tried to wait for the commencement of the trial Carter’s heart gave out, sending the teams scrambling to make sure their patient didn’t die before they had a chance to test him.

Once stabilized Carter had regained consciousness briefly enough to notice the slender framed nurse who negotiated her way around the room and to his bedside, checking his drip lines before lifting a saline bag to the stand beside him. He was used to ridiculous amounts of cords and machines but the bright green solution looked more like poison than anything good.

“What is that?” Carter murmured groggily before the nurse glanced down with a small smile.

“Relax Mr Reid, you will be fine.” She told him though essentially it did nothing to relax Carter at all. Before he had time to panic he felt the cool creeping sensation of liquid as it entered the veins in his arm, his eyelids quickly growing far too heavy to keep them open...

*** 11:47am***

Slowly but surely the subtle beep of a machine beside Carter’s bed sunk into his ears, his fingers beginning to move ever so slightly as he began to rise out from his unconscious state. beneath his eyelids his eyes moved to try and look about though his eyelids seemed like they were being held down by concrete. The sound of soft voices a fair distance from his bedside came in mumbles as he became more lucid, pushing against the heaviness of his muscles to move until at last he was able to open his eyelids, a furrowed brow creasing as he groaned. The overhead lights cast a clinical glow over the top of him but his attention was quickly drawn to the absence of monitoring gear that had previously been placed on him in order to ensure his heart wasn’t giving out. The next was the fact that he was breathing fine, something that had been severely hampered before the trial. Casting his gaze up to where the green solution had been hung up, Carter noticed the solution was completely gone, remembering the last question he had posed to the nurse before he had lost consciousness. By all accounts he was indeed still alive, perhaps much more alive than he had been in months.

“Welcome back Mr Reid,” a nurse murmured as she buzzed about him busily removing the monitoring machines as Carter watched her with a subtle frown. She was different to the last nurse and as he sat up and took a look around the room, Carter realized he wasn’t alone.

“Well good nearly afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This is Dr. Sawyer and I am letting you all know that it is nearly lunchtime.”

This was completely unexpected, completely foreign to everything Carter had experienced when it came to hospitals. After a procedure as significant as this he had expected to be told not to move, a diet of poorly heated stock as sustenance and yet a voice over from Dr. Sawyer was telling him that it was lunch time as though he were a student waiting to escape to the playground. He would normally want to sleep for the next twelve hours just to avoid the feeling of post surgery pain and discomfort but as the nurse left his bedside and Carter looked down over his form it became abundantly clear that he was just as he had been prior to his first ever episode.

“Join us in the cafeteria."

He couldn’t eliminate the bewildered expression that marked his face, double checking that he definitely wasn’t dead. Glancing up he briefly looked around at the other patients who seemed to be in the same situation, men and women, all fairly young looking. Pulling the sheets off his legs Carter took his time to stand up out of the bed, feet touching the cold floor beneath him as he prepared for something to happen. Oddly as he took his first steps beside the bed, no pound in his chest interrupted him, he felt no presence of dizziness.

“Well I’ll be damned.” He muttered to himself as he ran a hand over his chest gently. This was all beyond his wildest dreams; it looked like his gamble had paid off big time. Considering what had been announced over the PA system, Carter considered whether he should play it safe and stay near to the bed or take the invitation to move to the cafeteria.

Alice was in awe of how spoft-spoken the tall, polite man was. She quite possibly wouldn't have been able to hear a single word, had she not been standing right next to him. Even though her lips parted to speak, only silence came out. She had stopped herself when she saw him looking around the room. This prompted her to follow suit, her whole body turning with the directions of her eyes. There was just... A lot to take in still. Outside of the fact that this was a scary medical room, there was some freaky space action going on outside the windows, and there were a lot of other people raising from their beds. They moved along at their own paces, wanting to stabilize at least a little bit before heading out into the unknown. That, Al could completely empathize with right now.
Whoever they were, they signed onto the same program as she did. Alice hoped they were feeling better, however she imagined the dramatic differences to their health were not easy to process. There was no knowing, yet, what everyone went through before this experiment. Speaking of which... Alice observed how everyone got unhooked from one of those emptied bags of green liquid. The same as her. Remembering this caused AJ to look to the part of her arm where faint marks from the needles could be seen. As her gaze wandered to faded scratch marks on the upper area of her arm, she looked away while rubbing at the area, pushing away the old memories tied to the scars.

For a moment, she was just lost in her own head. Looking on the many unfamiliar faces made her gradually more tense. Was she expected to talk to them yet? That, among many insecurities, kept furiously buzzing in her head. Alice just felt like shrinking. She made sure to look at the floor, too, in case someone might get mad at her for staring too long. That was her way, usually. Hide, and pretend like you didn't exist, until you knew what to do. But... That changed, unexpectedly, when she heard a mousy "Sorry" come from Gerry. When that happened, all the talking in her head, for some reason, quieted down. "Hmm?" After blinking with confusion at the floor, she turned her head so she could face him. Just looking at him, she could plainly see he meant no harm. That observation made her expression soften, her lips curling with assurance. She knew how it felt to be sorry for something you didn't have to be. Also, he managed to say he was sorry twice in the same minute. Alice could relate to that...They really weren't too different so far, him and her. If her friend Patty would have been here, she would have made a joke about that by now. Oh how she missed her in these awkward times she shouldn't be allowed to talk by herself.

"Gerry?" she repeated his name gently, to not go too far above his whisper volume. The name came through a smile that was sheepish, but warm. "You don't have to be sorry to me right now. I understand. There's a...a lot going on," she then pointed out, shrugging as a shaking set of fingers gestured to the general weirdness of their surroundings. Even though she was visibly anxious, Alice was trying to talk and act how she would want someone else to, if she were in Gerry's position. This man so far gave her no reason to feel afraid, so that might be a lot to do with it. He actually made himself out to be as least threatening as possible. The way he was built did offer some security, too. Maybe he wasn't a fighter, but his appearance alone might make mean people think twice about bothering her if they were seen together in the streets.
"Um, sorry, m--" She stopped herself suddenly, a hand going to her forehead as she made an embarrassed smile. A snort of amusement made its way out of her, too. AJ was always laughing at herself. Such a hypocrite she was, being sorry when she had just told him not to be. "My...name...is...Alice," she slowly introduced herself, the extra focus helping her fight that habitual urge to apologize for being apologetic. Sighing tiredly at the end, she dropped her hand to her side, where it quickly fled to join with the other one behind her. They fidgeted around her glasses, probably giving the lenses a lot of smudges. There was nothing else to keep her hands busy at the moment, though.

Another look was made towards the rest of the patients. Anytime she managed to meet eyes with one of them, she produced a smile that was equal parts shy and polite. For only a few seconds longer did her gaze linger on the long-haired man who had been struggling to balance on his legs before. Not to be rude of course! She was just admiring the determination he so clearly had, but she did make sure to look away before seeming impolite. For what it was worth, she was raised to be well-mannered, even if she was terrified of most people. That, and at the end of the day, she did just want to get along with everyone. When she was done, AJ lowered her sights to the floor, turned around, and looked to the hallway that would eventually lead them to the cafeteria. She assumed, anyway. If there weren't signs or people available to keep her on the right track, there was a high probability of her getting lost.

Even that sounded less horrifying than staying in this room, though. Hopefully as she moved on, the environment would appear less...hospital-like. What she wouldn't give for a breath of marijuana smoke right now. Nothing would calm her better than that in this time of high stress.
"Guess we're off to see the wizard?" she awkwardly offered to Gerry, with a dumb smile to match. She also resisted the urge to break into song. Instead, she made a quick glance over her shoulder, and then she was leaving the doorway. Not for a second did it cross her mind that she might have unintentionally made herself leader to the cafeteria. She was far too distracted by the questions she had about the future. Who knew what awaited them besides lunchtime?

Last edited:
[fieldbox=", #00b3b3, dashed, 15"]
Junjie Tao
Matter Ingestion

Interaction
Some female / Kira Falkov @neobendium

Mention
The others, no one specific
[/fieldbox][fieldbox=", #00b3b3, dashed, 15"]Junjie had no idea what was all going on. The people around him seemed to be crying or surprised. Most of all they seemed happy and relieved and exclaimed how they were cured, or able to do things they had not been able to do before. Just like the girl before him, or next to him, as she said she could hear. He watched as she moved so carefully, just like others. Some of them standing on trembling legs like new born fawns. While honestly, he didn't feel that much different from before. Not at all actually...

Maybe it had not worked on him? That... that would suck balls. And that was the understatement of the year. He swallowed a bit and felt himself getting nauseous again. See, nothing new there... He paled as he moved his hand up to cover his mouth. "I am sorry," he managed to mumbled towards the girl, before turning around towards one of the bins. It was nothing more than some stomach acid that came up. He had not eaten before the treatment, and whatever that had been left in his body had come out with the first round of throwing up. "Fuck..." He whisperd softly in Hokkein.

Once his body seemed to give up on the idea of emptying itself, he straightened up again. He used some of the sheets to clean his mouth,since they would be cleaned anyway right. He took some deep breaths before turning back to the girl again. "I am sorry about that," he said with a soft, slight embarassed smile. "Anyway, I think they said we are suppose to go to the cafeteria." He repeated himself partly. Other people around them were talking about going to the cafeteria as well. Yet no one was moving yet. "So shall we go then?" he asked as he offered her his arm. She still seemed to be a bit unsure about her ability to walk. "My name in Junjie Tao by the way," he said with a grin. His sickness had never really held him back from being social. It had never hold him back from anything really. Only he often had to pay with being sick for days afterwards.

"It must be nice to have such an easy way to indicate whether or not you are cured," he mumbled softly. For him it would take time to see if it worked out. There was no easy way to point out HIV, which is why it had taken so long before it was discovered anyway. There were no drawbacks like lost vision, hearing, movement or anything like that. So it was hard to tell yet if the treatment had worked. However he was a realist and he was not yet gonna count his blessings. There was always a small percentage where things could have gone wrong and the treatment could not have worked, but there was also still a chance it had worked. So he was just gonna wait and see. Maybe ask for a blood test later on. That was the only thing that could give immediate answer to whether he was cured or not. But for now... food. He had to admit he hadn't felt hungry like this in a while.[/fieldbox]

-Kira Falkov-
|Interactions: Junjie (@DarkiusHeavenstein)|
|Locatcion: Some kind of medical facility|

The man next to her didn't exactly seem like he was having the best of times adjusting to whatever disease he had been (hopefully) cured of. Which was...unfortunate.

As he emptied the last of what was left in his stomach into the trash bin- which, admittedly, didn't look like much- Kira reached out with one hand, concerned, to touch his back. But she couldn't quite reach him, and she didn't dare lean forward or let go with her other hand, for fear of falling over.

Once he was finished, he apologized again and straightened, then held his arm out to her. Apparently, he could walk on his own- or else he was just sure of his ability. Perhaps his sickness wasn't physical like hers was.

She decided to take a chance- if they both fell, they wouldn't be any worse off than they would have been if she walked on her own. So she accepted, linking her arm with his and letting go of the bed frame. The woman seemed to be stabilizing...a bit...and so she didn't lean on him too much, just used his arm as a sort of support to keep her from tipping one way or another too far.

"Yeah, let's go," she nodded, and, as they started walking, the man introduced himself. Kira smiled cheerfully in response. "Kira Falkov. Nice to meet you." His next sentence made her frown and she glanced at him as the two made their way over to the others who were grouping together by the door. "You don't know if you've been cured?" she asked softly, her eyes concerned.

That would suck. Not knowing, after so long and after such an experience...

Yikes.

It held a level of unfairness, too- she had known instantly, and it seemed like most of the others did, too. So it was not only painful, but also unfair. "I...I hope you figure it out soon," she said simply after a moment. It was the most comfort she knew how to give.
|#9b0029|

Last edited:
Aryanna Spicer
Arya was in a beautiful field of flowers with the sun shining high above her head as she laid on a patch of grass that was so vividly green and glorious. Her blue eyes stared up to watch the passing clouds, seeking out shapes and patterns in their fluffiness, she felt as if she was a kid again without a care in the world. Her mind was wrapped in complete darkness and bliss, she had no sense of time, no sense as to what day or month or year it was. It was sheer peacefulness and laying next to her in the grass was a small orange tabby cat sleeping by her side. Arya lifted her arm to pet the animal softly along it's back as she laid there, careful not to disturb the sleeping creature. She couldn't have felt any happier or carefree and it brought about a startling realize to her. Where were her allergies? Where was the constant reminder of her illness? The aching in her chest, the shortness of breath? Was this a dream?

She went to sit up to get a better look around her at her surrounds and the moment she did the sky started falling down on her. The puffy clouds began raining down on her in the form of marshmallows, the small ones that you might put in hot chocolate and when Arya looked to her side the cute orange tabby cat had transformed into a huge tiger next to her, sleeping like a baby still. She was even more perplexed than before and when she got to her feet the ground below her manipulated into a green ooze that oddly looked like jello. Arya scratched her head and tried to take a step forward but her feet just began sinking into the gelatinous mixture like quick sand grabbing hold, it sucked her down until she thought she wouldn't be able to breath.

As she struggled within the goo and opened her mouth to gasp for the air she thought she wouldn't find, she was shocked that her lungs filled with clean air and there was no pain. No skipping heartbeats, she didn't feel any of the normal things she felt as a result of her illness. As she tried to wrestle with the things she was seeing and the feelings she feeling the world around her fell away completely. In an instant she was sitting up in a white walled room on some bed with a bunch of medical crap sticking out of her. She shuddered at the thought of what might be in that green bag she spotted with the tube connected to it, connected to her as well.

Ayra was further startled by the loud voice crackling over the intercom and nearly jumped so far out of the bed that she almost pulled all the equipment over with her. A soft hand touched her back to steady her as she almost fell and she jumped again, screaming to see what/who was there. The nurse she was faced with seemed amused by Arya's reactions as she had a smile on her face and was chuckling quietly as she helped Arya remove the equipment from her body and steadied her on her feet. "Shit, where am I?"

The nurse kindly reminded her that she was JeanCorp and had just underwent an experimental formula on the human body. Arya shuddered again at that thought and slapped herself lightly on the cheeks a few times to wake herself up a bit. "Keep it together girl..!" Arya thanked the nurse and got a little directions from as to where the cafeteria was, the idea of food made her remember that odd dream. Her stomach chimed in shortly after that, growling loudly at her with an angry sound. "How long was I out for? I feel like I haven't eaten in forever." She vaguely glanced around the room as she was leaving it, watching the nurse zip around to straighten things up, it appeared there had been others here as well. She followed the directions from the nurse and headed towards the cafeteria, feeling weird but great at the same time.

Her body felt better than it had in years, even though she felt a little clumsier than normal as she tripped up a few times, stumbling to walk as she went. She shrugged it off as a drug after effect and when she entered through the doors of the cafeteria she paused to give herself time to look around, there had definitely been others, they seemed to be gathered here for a purpose. She absently reached up to her neck, seeking out the necklace she almost always wore, to find it not present on her body. The thought panicked her a bit and she couldn't focus on anything going on in the room, Arya managed to sit herself some at some random table and proceeded to try and think about what happened before she was knocked out for this... experiment..

86fpm6o.png

The last thing that he remembered was talking to his mother. Or rather, she hastily scribbled on the portable whiteboard provided by the hospital. Desmond recalled that she had tried to just text him while sitting across from him but her hands kept shaking and she kept dropping the phone. Finally, the nurses took pity on her and brought in the whiteboard that they used in the children’s wing.

I didn’t know what do do. She wrote.

The doctors kept saying the future was dim. She struggled on the last word, erasing dim and replacing it with various synonyms before settling on it again.

Coretonic will be good for you. They’ll make you happy again.

He remembered asking what the hell Coretonic was. Or maybe he hadn’t. It wasn’t as though he could hear himself. He’d lost his hearing after the panic attack asthma combo. For all, he knew he could have just been screaming primally at her because hospital personnel came rushing in to usher his mom out and pump something into his veins. He could feel his mind slipping away as he watched his mother be escorted out of the room. Then everything went dark.

When he woke up he was in a room straight out of a sci-fi movie with other people. There were people like him, sitting up on their beds and nurses assisting. Each person on the bed had machines beside them that looked like typical hospital junk but the room was definitely not a typical hospital. Desmond had so many questions that he wanted to ask the nurse who was approaching him--presumably to unhook him from the IV--but before he could, some dude started talking over the intercom--”I can hear.” Desmond stated, deadpan. He had just noticed that he could hear every damn thing in the room. The beeping and buzzing machines, the other patients, the nurses--Demond turned to the one, who was helping him sit straighter. “I can hear.” He repeated, just in case she wasn’t wise to his situation. She gave him a wry smile. “That you can, Mr. Ross. Although I’m guessing you didn’t hear a word of Dr. Sawyer was saying, did you?” She tittered at the blank look he gave her but repeated the message conveyed over the intercom, then left his side to help the others.

Desmond didn’t get up immediately. He was still in shock about his hearing. “Can I take deep breaths now without coughing too?” He asked himself, though he didn’t test the theory. If he was wrong he didn’t want to dissolve into a spluttering mess in front of all these people. Who were these people anyway? He didn’t recognize any of them, although some had started leaving the room side by side, and not wanting to be left out, Desmond followed.

“My name is Alice.” The way she spoke to him made him feel more at ease. A little anyway. From the small ways she fidgeted and twitched he thought maybe she was as nervous as he was, though she was remarkably better at not showing it. She managed to smile and acknowledge everyone in the room at least once. Gerry only managed the occasional quick glance lest he accidentally meet someone’s eyes and be cursed with the onus of potentially starting a conversation.

As the others were mastering themselves and beginning to gather Alice made a comment about wizards that he didn’t quite catch as she made for the entryway. “I think he’s a doctor…Gerry mumbled, the constant seed of uncertainty immediately blossomed within his mind, its roots wrapped around whether he should have said that or not. He followed her anyway, she being the closest thing to familiar he could find.

Making their way through the gleaming white halls, my how those lights seemed to coldly sear his eyes, Gerry mind split its attention into dozens of pieces, each attempting to focus on the potential of this place, of the things that were going on, of what was in the cafeteria, and so on. When the thoughts became too overwhelming he let them become a white noise that he wore like a mantle on his shoulders and head. That noise was uncomfortable, but also familiar. As they approached end of their short jaunt, Gerry recognized the familiar scents of baked goods and cooking grease. It was then that he realized just how hungry he was. He very much hoped there would be time to eat.

Arriving into the cafeteria he stayed close to Alice, always one step to the side and behind her, shadowing her like he did his mother. This is what good boys do. The others came through soon after them, some clustering, some splaying out. All likely as curious, if not as afraid and uncertain, as he was. As everyone began to fill in and find seats, Gerry instinctively placed a hand on the back of Alice’s arm, gently and with just the couple of fingertips against her skin, the way his mother usually allowed him to do when crowds formed.

Do you think we’d be allowed to eat?Gerry began emboldened by hunger, though the moment lasted no longer than breath as he realized he may have been speaking out of turn. “I’m sorry if I’m not supposed to ask yet…” he added tentatively.

When room came into full view, it would make a fat man cream his pants. Steak, seafood, salad, cookies, you name it. It was all on display on ornate platters all along the opposite side of the room. This was not your average hospital meal. Food workers moved to and fro adding last little touches or making sure the food was still warm.

Between them, an almost symmetrical maze of chairs and table lined the room. The lights shined nicely for those patients entering the room. The walls were lined with your average assortment of common painting you might find in a hospital. Flowers. Boat. Mountains. Puppies.

Dr. Sawyer's voice came over the intercom once again. "Welcome! How are you all feeling? Shall I say...cured?" More workers ushered them along towards the food so masterfully made just for them. Foodie aromas fill the air and the doctor continued. "Ladies and gentlemen, you are walking proof that JeanCorp has exceeded expectations yet again. Please grab a plate to your new lives!" His laugh was hearty and long, as the intercom buzzed and shut off.

The world was their oyster, and now you can eat some.

fright
►Chase Dreiser◄
►Bone Spike Protrusion◄

►Location:
The Cafeteria?
►Interactions: Fooooood

Chase stepped into the cafeteria, then off to the side slightly to allow anyone who might be behind him to step in as well easily. No need to be rude, we’re all in similar boats at this point. he reflected, then started to take a real look at what was going on before him. He tilted his head to the side. It… wasn’t anything like he expected.

”...Can… can we even eat like this so soon after whatever got done to cure us…?’ the foods seemed really rich, both in flavors and cost, for post-treatment, in Chase’s experience. He leaned slightly on the cane, contemplating the spread before him as Dr. Sawyer spoke, and workers set about ushering them to partake. Well… what’s the worst that can happen from eating well? I mean… puking, I guess… He shrugged, once again nudging that stray, stubborn strand of hair back behind his ear, I need a hair tie, he reflected.

Then laughed.

His biggest concern at the moment was needing a hair tie.

”...This is crazy,” he said simply, letting out another laugh and shaking his head, ”But. What else can we do? It’d be rude to turn down the food, right?” The words weren’t directed towards anyone in particular, just the room itself.

He took a tentative step forward, inhaling and getting a good noseful of the wonderful scents. Including…

”Oh hell to the yes~!”

Blueberry muffins.

Why there were blueberry muffins at a time like this, Chase had no idea. They didn’t fit particularly well with all the savory, heavy dinner foods, but he sure as hell wasn’t going to complain. He hobbled his way across the room to immediately grab one of the big, fluffy, warm muffins, and took a huge bite.

From the crystalized sugar on top, to the gooey blueberries still warm, Chase was completely enamored. Someone had definitely taken note of the fact they were literally his favorite thing to eat ever…

...How many would be rude to take?

Chase was tapping his fingers on the handle of the cane as he finished off the first muffin, contemplating that very question. He licked off the bits of blueberry that clung to his fingertips, then turned his attention once more to the rest of the spread.

”...I could always just fill up on muffins too, though…” which was totally a valid solution in his mind. It took him until about now though to notice just how hungry he was.

”Hum. Maybe something more substantial than muffins…”

Chase ended up loading up a plate, at the moment with some delicious looking smoked salmon, lemon-y asparagus, and rosemary roast potatoes. It was probably way more than he’d eat… but smelled so good.

Alice entered the cafeteria with the rest of the group, then stepped off to the side to keep herself out of the way. The brunette tensed where she stood, one set of fingers fidgeting at her side while the other clutched her glasses closely. The unfamiliar scene was terribly intimidating to her. She needed a moment to adjust, and to process the current events some more... Somewhere along the way of that, she belatedly registered a light touch against the back of her right arm. Gooseflesh formed under his fingertips as she had a four-second internal freak-out over being unexpectedly touched. Glancing over her shoulder, she noticed the specific positioning of Gerry. Close, but not too close. Oh. This is fine. Once she let go of her baited breath, she went at ease. Turning her head more to look up at his face, he would be met with half-smile. Her lips parted so she could answer his question, but no words came out as the doctor over the intercom answered for her:

"Please grab a plate to your new lives!"

Briefly, her gaze shifted to the ceiling, and her grin widened some. "Well, um... There you have it. Looks like we are free to help ourselves," Alice assured her new acquaintance. From there, she directed her attention to the banquet across from them. The long-haired man with a cane went ahead and grabbed whatever he wanted for his first meal of the day. Starting with a generous supply of blueberry muffins he had to resist taking every single one of. The sight caused her to smile behind one of her hands, and she silently appreciated that someone else went first. It provided that comforting reassurance for how perfectly okay it was to get your fill of these foods. Alice, too, had been unnecessarily worried about that.

Tucking her glasses into the pocket of her hospital pants, she looked over the options they had for...breakfast? Brunch? ...Dinner? Whatever it was, it was like an all-you-can-eat buffet that offered foods to suit any meal you can think of. Alice couldn't help but wish there were certain kinds of 'edibles' among the regular foods, though. That would remedy her nervousness, and it would silence the buzzing noises in her head. That said, at least she had an appetite. She felt a bit nauseous at the same time, but she spotted some items on the table that might help. In her head, she worked through the steps she'd take to get from here, to the buffet, to a table she could sit at. Always good to plan ahead.

"Hey, I'm going over there," she let Gerry know, pointing with the arm he wasn't touching. She directed his focus to where you could get dishes and silverware. That is, if he wanted to pay attention. Alice was being as thoughtful as she could be, but couldn't be sure she was doing a good job of it, or if he even intended to stick by her at this point. The choice was his. "We can sit down over there? If-- If you want..." The soft-spoken suggestion came at the same time as her pointing at a table she had her eyes on. At the end of that, she returned her arm to her side, and her gaze to the spread of goods.

"I think I may have to make two trips. I made a mess the last time I tried carrying soup and too many other things,"
Alice then said, almost quietly enough to be a whisper. She was frozen for half a moment as she relived the embarrassing memory, then shook it off. "Okay," she sighed out, mentally gearing herself for this scary yet simple task. Keeping her eyes to the floor, and her hands joined in front of her, she headed to the tables of food. A plate was removed from a stack of dishes, along with a bowl and some utensils. The bowl was placed onto the plate, leaving enough room for some crackers, and a banana. These, and the chicken soup she halfway filled the bowl with, ought to help soothe her stomach pains. She also picked up a bottled water, even though she was super tempted to get a cup of coffee. I'll come back for you, precious. Along the way, she noted what other items she wanted to get for herself in her second trip over. Garlic bread. Pulled pork tacos. Lasagna. Chocolate milk. Roasted zucchini. CAKE. ALL THE CAKE.
Knowing her gaze would linger on the desserts too long if allowed, she moved along to the nearest available table and chairs. There, she carefully set down the plate, but waited instead of leaving to get what else she wanted. Other people could have a chance to approach the food, plus she wanted to wait for Gerry. During that wait, she stood next to the chair she claimed for herself, and munched on a cracker while drawing comfort from the pictures on the walls.

Last edited:
KoBp.gif

Character Sheet: Here
Mentioned: NPCs,
Interactions: Kind Nurse,
Outfit: Pajama Scrubs

"Well good nearly afternoon ladies and gentlemen."

It was the man's voice over the intercom that pulled Naomi out of her dreamless slumber. As she woke, her eyes fluttered open for a brief second before she sealed them shut. Why... why is it so bright? She wondered, squeezing her eyes closed as tightly as she could to keep the light out. She laid there, listening to the rest of Dr. Sawyer's message. Based on the noises that followed, Naomi guessed that she wasn't alone.

Even as those around her started to rise from their beds and even speak, the young woman just laid in her bed with her eyes closed. Though, she did relax a little, allowing eyelids to just rest over her eyes instead of shutting them so tightly. The florescent lighting turned her eyelids red, and this allowed for her to slowly get used to the intensity. As she lay there, waiting for a nurse to come assist her, Naomi reflected on what led her here. All the events that led up to this very moment.

She thought about her illness, suddenly realizing that she wasn't in any... pain. But, that wasn't anything too significant. They probably had her on some pain medication. Naomi was not an optimist, not after being diagnosed with CJD. Truthfully, she only signed up for this program to please her parents.

Suddenly, Naomi felt a cold hand gently touching her forearm. Slowly, Naomi opened her eyes, gaze falling on a older nurse. "Well, hello Naomi," The nurse greeted her warmly, "Welcome back to reality."

Naomi didn't say anything in response, and after a moment of staring at each other the nurse got to work. Nao wan't trying to be rude, but there was something different and her mind was too preoccupied trying to place what exactly that was. As Naomi watched the nurse unplug her from a bag which held just a few drops left of some green substance, she suddenly realized what had her so awestruck. Everything was so... clear.

A common side effect of CJD was blurry vision, and Naomi had developed this symptom rather early on. She had nearly forgotten what it was like to actually see all the little details around her. "Alright, well, there you are," The kind nurse said, looking back to Naomi. "Take your time, but when you're ready don't forget to get some food in that belly of yours." As the unnamed nurse turned away to help the next patient Naomi's dark brown eyes swept over the room. Some people were still lingering in their beds like her, but many of them were already moving down the hall and toward the cafeteria. She didn't want to be the last to get there.

So, with a sudden sense of determination- Something Naomi had not felt in a very long time- she drew back her thin blanket and slowly swept her legs over the side of her bed. She noticed she wasn't wearing a regular hospital gown, for which she was very grateful. Instead, her clothing seemed to resemble blue scrubs. They even had pockets. Gradually, Naomi lowered herself until both of her bare feet were placed firmly on the ground, and then she worked to lift herself off the bed.

Once all of her weight were on her own two feet, Naomi couldn't help but notice how oddly balanced she felt. Her illness had caused a loss in coordination as well, and so she found it to be quite shocking that she felt so stable, especially after having just come out of treatment. Biting onto her lower lip, Naomi took a single step. Though her balance did waver a bit, she did not stumble, and so she was doing better than she thought she would.

Ever so slowly, Naomi made her way across the room and then down the hallway. Though she was doing well so far, Naomi didn't completely trust her newfound balance. She held onto things along the way just in case, and when there was nothing to hold onto she used the wall to keep her steady. Finally, Naomi made it to the cafeteria, where she was suddenly met with a series of tasty smells.

What stood out was the specific aroma of freshly brewed coffee. It took her no time at all to locate the coffee maker, a smile suddenly coming to her lips. It seemed odd to her that they would be fed such foods and allowed to have things like coffee so soon, but she wasn't going to question JeanCorps decisions. After all, she was really just their guinea pig. A little bit faster now, Naomi went over to build herself a plate of food.

She got buttered toast, some mashed potatoes with gravy, two cups of fruit, 6 shrimp, a small piece of steak and a larger piece of fried chicken. She just simply couldn't decide what she wanted, everything looked so good. And, even though it went with nothing on her plate, Naomi made a stop at the coffee machine. She is was in heaven. After fixing herself a nice cup- with plenty of hazelnut creamer- the happy girl found a seat at the table in the inner corner of the room. Without even paying any attention to the people around her, Naomi dug into her food as though she hadn't eaten in weeks. This is so good!

• Love
Reactions: Reythaak and noodle
CARTER REID

Carter had decided to head to the cafeteria, though as other patients moved past him in the hall he lingered in his pace, taking note of the view outside the port windows which lined the hall. Outside it was nothing but dense space, a world away from his apartment on earth. It was the first time he had been anywhere off world though given the situation he had been in, Carter hadn’t bothered to take note of all the other things happening. He wondered if he would be able to head home, considering that at some point he might actually be able to catch up with Heath in London. Going back there would mean having to rebuild a reputation but for the first time in years it seemed somewhat in reach. As the whimsical rush of air hit his back as someone passed him in the hall, Carter snapped out of his thoughts. A small sigh escaped his lips and as he slid his hands into the pockets of his scrub pants, Carter turned and continued into the cafeteria.

Some of the other patients had piled plates of food, others with a few bites which were all enjoyed in simultaneous delights, evident from the noises and comments uttered. The banquet laid tables were indeed an impressive and delectable sight, something he had only witnessed a handful of times at high class home parties. What exactly was this program? He hadn’t noticed the fact that he had stopped just inside the door and stared at the room in general or the fact that it probably looked incredibly rude to the people who had sat down to eat. But Carter couldn’t quite comprehend why such elegance had been laid out for them all. Was there something extra laced in the food? Surely he would soon find out given the other patients already consuming food and drink. It was an odd thought considering he had let someone pump him with an oozy green substance, though things were quickly becoming a little too strange and out of his control, something he particularly disliked.

In stark contrast to the thought pattern revolving in his mind, Carter’s stomach churned and gurgled in protest for its fill, the sight of roast meats and pudding not helping the situation. He continued to ignore the rumbling sound of his gut, pulling a chair out from the table closest to the door and taking a seat as he watched the other patients eating, glancing to the staff members who moved about. The time from waking in the room to sitting in the cafeteria had been far too short, he felt absolutely fine and frankly it unnerved him that this mysterious doctor had not been seen at all. He decided he would wait as much as waiting made him irritable; for more information and answers, even if his stomach hurt from hunger in continual protest. Perhaps he was indeed dead, this was all just some post death experience.

Reactions: Brea

-Kira Falkov-
|Interactions:Chase (@Reythaak)|
|Locatcion: Food Heaven|

Kira gazed around the room, finding amusement and....comfort....in how the others were acting. One had gotten coffee, and, another...blueberry muffins. Why he just piled his plate full of the muffins before the rest of the meal was beyond her (they weren't exactly 'proper' food), but....it was entertaining.

One of the workers had given her a cane when she arrived in the cafeteria, so she released the man next to her and instead leaned on that, walking herself over to the table. After a few awkward moments of not knowing what to do with both a cane and a plate, she settled on a pattern that worked and started getting herself some food.

She piled her plate high with mashed potatoes and gravy, as well as some honey mustard chicken and- oh, god, it was a match made in heaven- Brussels sprouts with Gorgonzola and blue cheese. She half wondered if everyone had been given their favorite food, or if it was just a strange coincidence.

Kira, balancing a plate in one hand and using the other with her cane, limped her way to the nearest table. It was the one with the man with the blueberry muffins. She slid into the seat across from him and settled her plate in front of her. "Mind if I sit here?" She asked, smiling in a friendly manner.

She wouldn't admit it, but her sitting there hadn't been entirely random chance. After all, who wouldn't want to meet the hero that chose to eat blueberry muffins when they resided right next to exotic clams?

Kira leaned the cane against the bench and picked up her fork, tapping it idly against her plate as she waited for permission to accompany the man for their meal.
|#9b0029|

Last edited: