Why does my BBcode screw up so much, and why can't I edit it out?

Mythy the Dragon-Wolf

Hopeless Romantic
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
This has happened quite a few times when I try using spoilers in making posts. I make a spoiler with either just text or other coding in there, and something like this happens
Screwup_1.png

Looking at the code, and I find some craziness like this:
Screwup_2.png

Which is nothing near what I typed in. When I delete this code and save the edit, it comes right back. All I want is the accordion and slides in a single spoiler. I have no idea what I did, why this happens, or how to fix it anymore.

This may be unrelated, but when I click on 'edit' and then 'more options' I get this page
Screwup_3.png

if you need a link to the post itself...
INTEREST CHECK - Mixed Meta Media - Fields of Aiso [IRL/VR(?)MMO-type RP]

Please help if you can, this is frustrating. Thank you :)

I don't know about the link breaking, but I know that your code breaking may be fixable by disabling the Rich Text Editor, which is the default text editor. The little wrench icon in the upper right will switch you to a plain text editor temporarily, or you can go to your preferences from your account dropdown in the upper right and disable it completely.

That has.. not helped, unfortunately. I used the BBcode editor to try and fix it, and it's just a mess in there and seems to get worse with every edit that I try and make. Now most of what was written in the spoiler and accordion is completely buried in code, and doesn't show up at all.

I may have to simply remake it, because I have no idea how to salvage this

That has.. not helped, unfortunately. I used the BBcode editor to try and fix it, and it's just a mess in there and seems to get worse with every edit that I try and make. Now most of what was written in the spoiler and accordion is completely buried in code, and doesn't show up at all.

I may have to simply remake it, because I have no idea how to salvage this
Disabling the rich text editor is honestly stress-reducing if you plan to write any of the code things yourself and I recommend this step highly.
I also advise against trying to use the rich text editor to fix anything. For people who are using it for the basics (color, bolding, etc.) it's a fast and helpful tool but the rich text editor is a little overly helpful but lacks context so if it thinks that there's a tag needed elsewhere or what have you, it will add it in. Sometimes it duplicates tags everywhere. It is a mess a lot of times when you start trying to do more complex things.

That aside, you might be able to get some help in the BBC Help thread if you post the code and what you're trying to do there. If you're looking to fix it yourself, my best suggestion is to disable rich text and possibly start from scratch or look back through yours to comb for missing or duplicate closing tags, potential nesting issues, etc. Nesting issues will sometimes mark themselves by duplicating both open and closing tags (such as [/b][/size][b][/b]).

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa
I have noticed that (at least for me) what usually causes the RTE to screw up is if I try to use the formatting buttons to format over a bbcode tag that I manually wrote in.

Sometimes even getting near the bbcode tag messes it up.

I suggest checking the BBCode Help thread as Kitti suggested, but probably what will solve it is if you clear out all the content entirely, then use the plain-text editor for the complicated codes.

I re-wrote it from scratch using the other editor instead of the RTE and it seems to be fixed. I suppose I know what to do now if it happens again.

Thank you all for your help. :)

Reactions: Kitti