A Real Fan

His expression grew stern at her questions, which seemed to him like attempts at stalling. He raised an eyebrow at her, then sighed. "Why steal at all, let alone a second time, girl."

Though his brow furrowed, his tone was without rancor.

He saw no reason to waste energy on pointless anger. Instead, he wanted to understand why this girl, seemingly simpleminded, came back to the same place again after being caught.

As he watched her, he sliced a bite of his cake with the side of his fork, then pierced it and lifted it to his mouth, glancing down in subtle eagerness.

With a sigh, Ryn looked up and caught his his gaze with hers. She needed to tell him something, and it didn't seem fair to lie to him after trying to rob him twice. She fidgeted a bit in her seat, uncomfortable under his stare, but still holding it despite that.

"There's good money in item acquisition," she finally said. "As for why I chose you, well, look at you. Wouldn't you have chosen you? It's not like you blend in exactly."

She brought a bite up to her mouth and paused a second. "And I came back as a matter of pride," she added before putting the bite into her mouth. Chewing slowly she watched him to gauge his reactions to the flat facts that she laid out before him. She hadn't given anything more than surface knowledge, but she had given him something. If he wanted more he'd have to ask for it.

• Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write
One brow lifted, but he remained silent for some time, waiting to see if she would crack and start spilling more, before he simply grunted as he stabbed another bite.

"Hn. Boring."

He chose his words carefully. Few though they were, they were bait specifically chosen for the girl.

He ate his newly-speared bite and chewed slowly to savor the sweetness and texture. At the far end of his slice, a strawberry stood in victory, waiting to be taken as his last bite.

Ryn fumed at his response. Her eyes flashed and her eyebrows drew together as the grip she had on her fork became tighter and tighter. Boring! Her life was anything but boring. Nothing she did was boring. Suppressing a growl, she very deliberately placed her fork on her plate, right next to the rest of her half eaten tart.

"I'll have you know that it's far from boring," she began, her eyes trained on the man across the table from her. "Have you ever stolen anything? Have you ever experienced the adrenaline rush that comes from almost being caught and succeeding? Or even the one that comes with being caught? It makes the world clear and crisp. The air smells fresh and all of the sounds around you come into focus."

At this time her hands slammed down on either side of her plate, causing the fork to clatter against the glass. "To be able to experience that every day. To be able to feel that rush, that's what it is all about. Don't you get it. It's not about you or your fancy fan. It's not about the stuff. It's about so much more, and I'm so close to being accepted into this life. I'm so close to living with the rush every day if I want it..." Ryn trailed off and her face fell. Her eyes became distant, no longer looking at him but rather through him. As she continued it was as though she were speaking more to herself than to him. "Except today was probably my last chance, and I ruined it..."

"A thrill-seeker, then—" he cut off as she mentioned having ruined her last chance, and he set his fork down and sat straighter.

"Did you get a high from being stuck in a chair for hours?"

Rather than give a long speech about improving her life immediately, he let her think about that statement before he went on.

"That is called masochism—taking enjoyment from pain and shame. Further theft will give more opportunity for it. Tattoos, amputation...?"

Ryn's face fell. He didn't get it. It wasn't just the bubbly feeling she got either. The way society worked, the guilds, the gangs. She needed to belong somewhere and Ryn knew she didn't really have a chance to fit in anywhere. The theft thing it was the only thing she could see herself doing.

Running her fingers through her short chestnut hair she sadly shook her head. She honestly felt a little insulted by his words and couldn't figure out how to respond. So for the moment she just stared at him, her eyes sad, her lips pursed, her all but tart forgotten on her plate.

At long last she took a deep breath and started talking again. "There's more to it than the thrill. The bubbly feeling it gives me is the bonus, really. It's complicated though, and you're obviously not from around here. I doubt you'd understand. I'm not crazy enough to actually hurt myself either. I'm not stupid regardless of what you might think of me." She spread her hand out over the table cloth and smoothed it down, contemplating explaining more, but unsure how to phrase it or even if she should when out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of the shadows across the street shift. Her head turned toward it but she must have been seeing things. There was nothing there.

She sighed, opened her mouth, closed it again, thought for a moment and finally said, "I don't know what you want from me."

"You can do better for your life."

His gaze held neither optimism nor hope. To him, it was simply fact, and he had yet to see any evidence otherwise that should conflict with that fact.

"If you try a third time to steal from me, I will hand you over to the authorities. Otherwise, you may approach me any time if you require assistance."

He tilted her head at her thoughtfully. "Should you opt to change your ways, I will support you wholly."

He was going too far in his support of a random child who did not wish to stop stealing, but he had caught her twice, and a third time, he felt certain he could if it was needed.

Dark eyes remained trained on her, watching with eerie focus. She was a lovely girl, if naive. His urges rose, but he squashed them down as best he was able.

Now was not the time.

Ryn worried her bottom lip between her teeth as she stared across the table. His words made no sense to her.

"Why would you want to help me?" The question fell from her mouth before she could second guess it. Why would he want to help her. She'd tried stealing from him not only once, but twice. The confusion was apparent on her face and in the little crease between her eyebrows as she stared at him.

She looked down at the table again, just to get away from his stare for a moment before looking back up at him. "I haven't done anything to deserve it," she added before he could answer.

He chuckled quietly. "I'm selfish," he answered simply.

"Where I go, I want to leave something positive, and if you take my offer, that is enough to 'deserve' it, in itself."

He offered a small shrug, then speared his strawberry and looked down at it for a few moments. He felt full, but a strawberry was a terrible thing to waste. This place served such large portions...

He set the fork down after a moment. So much sugary confection left his stomach displeased, but it had tasted so lovely...

Ryn blinked in response, unsure how to answer and looked down at her mangled treat. She poked it again with the fork and moved to take another bite of it, but she just wasn't in the mood for something so sweet. The few bites she had taken just weren't sitting well in her stomach. Letting the fork fall back to the table she pushed the plate away from her.

"Thanks," she finally said. "For the offer. For not turning me in. For showing kindness when anyone else would have shown disdain." It was a sincere statement, for the most part. A small part of her was still uncomfortable with the conversation, unsure of how she was supposed to act in such a situation, but she also appreciated the sentiment.

The shadows across the street caught her eye again, this time she managed to catch sight of someone moving back into the gloom before they disappeared. She pursed her lips and shook her head. "If you don't mind, I think I better get going." She stared at him, waiting for his consent before abandoning their discussion and her place at the table.

The man nodded and wished her farewell. Once she was gone, he looked over the ruined tart and the remaining strawberry, then sighed. Perhaps the discussion was too heavy for the deserts. Regardless, he ate the strawberry in three bites, taking his time as he pondered Ryn's responses.

She was a wild girl. A bit flighty. Her attitude didn't suit a proper girl, really, but her heartfelt thanks did fluff his feathers nicely, so to speak. Her flight from the table and conversation, he decided, must have come from uncertainty.

Finally, he paid the bill, left a tip, and then departed.

His tension was so high, all he wanted was to fly, but... it would be strange if he did that right in front of a public place.

So, he went back to his room and prepared himself for the night, taking care to put all of his valuables into pockets in his robes, which he then folded down into some appropriate nightwear, and then slept in.

It was overly cautious, but he saw no harm in being careful in this instance, and when he fell onto the bed, he fell quickly to sleep.

Several days passed without incident, and he came to know a few of the locals decently, becoming friendly acquaintances with them and gradually becoming a more regular sight in the city. He dressed always with something in black, and typically preferred to wear some form of kimono, often going for simpler versions unless he felt the urge to 'peacock'.

However, more and more, he felt eyes on him as he went about his business. He acted naturally when this happened, not fearful for his safety, but curious enough to let it keep up, so he could figure out the cause.

The first attack happened in an alleyway, and he repelled it with ease—the thugs had no idea how he beat them, but he made clear by waiting for them to awaken again that their continued life was by his choice rather than lack of strength.

Ryn rose quickly from the table and darted across the street. By the time she got there though, whatever it was she'd seen was gone. With a frown, she turned to head home. She had a lot to think about, and she wasn't feeling particularly social anyway.

She'd made it about halfway to her destination when she started feeling as though she was being watched. It bore a hole through the back of her head and made her antsy. Quickly she ducked into a side street and pressed her back against a wall. She'd notice if someone followed her, and sure enough Robbie's lanky frame came into view. Ryn breathed a sigh of relief and pushed herself off the wall.

Smacking his shoulder she said, "What the heck. Why are you following me? It was you in the shadows earlier too, huh?"

Robbie grinned from ear to ear. "Yeah it was. I don't know what was happening, and right now I don't really care. I have some good news for you."

Ryn raised an eyebrow and waited.

"Kelvin's asked for me to get you. He has a job for you."

Ryn's face lit up. "You're kidding me! When? Right now?"

"Right now."

"Well, come on then." Ryn was off, running through the streets like she'd just been given the key to the treasury. Robbie wasn't far behind her. The two of them darted between people milling about, and around carts and trays. They ran through the market, managing to barely avoid colliding with the people that crowded the area. Ryn ran until she couldn't run anymore, and begrudgingly she slowed to a walk, allowing Robbie to catch up with her.

"So, what was up with you and that guy? Wasn't that the mark you chose?" Robbie asked after a few moments and between gulps of air.

Ryn shrugged and nodded, not sure what to say about the whole situation.

"So, I'm guessing you weren't there to tell him you were planning on robbing him…"

"No, he caught me going through his stuff again. He'd left a trap for me, really. But he didn't turn me in, so there's that." Ryn's voice was breathy as she struggled to keep from panting like a dog.

"And he bought you pie?"

"It wasn't a pie, it was a tart, and I don't know what that was all about either. It was strange." She thought about mentioning his offer to help her but decided to keep that knowledge to herself for some unknown reason. "If he catches me again he's not going to be so nice though."

"Hmm." Robbie gave her a strange look, one eyebrow cocked up and his mouth twisted up like he was thinking really hard about something. Ryn just shrugged and grabbed onto his arm.

"Do you know what the job is?"

"Nope, but it must be something good because I was told to retrieve you quickly. Like the time mattered. I probably took too long."

As they walked the city streets became narrower and darker. Shadows jumped up from every corner and the buildings no longer looked inviting and warm, rather they looked abandoned, and neglected. A mouldy smell began to permeate the air. It was the smell of rot. Everything here was rotting. From the buildings to everything inside them, including the people. A thick layer of grime covered just about everything. It was soot, mostly. These people were the ones that worked the mines. Everything they touched was dirty because of it.

Ryn had only been to South Ward once or twice before, and it always gave her the heebie jeebies. This time was no different. Sad eyes peered out from boarded up windows, and Ryn tried her best to ignore them. The further they went into the Ward the less Ryn said and it wasn't long before the only sounds around them were the sounds of old buildings settling and rats skittering across the cobblestones.

Soon enough they came to Kelvin's territory. It was much the same as the rest of the Ward, except the buildings here were in the process of being rebuilt. Kelvin was doing his best to make the Ward a better place to live for those that couldn't escape it. It was noble work, even if the money used to do it was dirty. Ryn wanted to be part of this. That was why she'd chosen Kelvin's group to cling to despite their protests.

At the end of the block there stood a completely rebuilt, white building with a baby blue awning and cute brown shutters on each of the windows. The door, which stood solidly in the middle of the building, was carved oak. The design was simple enough--inlaid rectangles with graduated borders. Ryn stood transfixed by the door for several moments. Taking in the details of the carving, and giving herself a reason to wait before knocking on the door.

Several moments passed before Robbie cleared his throat and pushed her forward. Ryn stumbled a bit but caught her footing, squared her shoulders, raised her chin and knocked on the door. The sound was muffled by the solidness of the door, but after several agonizing seconds the door creaked open and they were allowed entrance.

The inside of the building was just as impressive as the outside. Archways decorated every passageway, with decorative windows on either side of them. A staircase snaked around the outside of the room wrapping itself along each wall before disappearing overhead. There were doors off the side of the staircase. Dark stained wood rails lined the outside of the stairs, making them safe to travel and that same stained wood stretched out beneath her feet. Kelvin had gone all out on his house, and seeing his style made Ryn anxious for the rest of his territory to finish getting its makeover.

"I'll wait for you down here," Robbie smiled.

Ryn nodded and made her way to the stairs taking two at a time all the way up to the top. Kelvin's door was open, but Ryn still knocked before entering.

"I left it open for you, now get in here!" Kelvin was a big man, with ruddy cheeks, and a bulbous nose. His white blonde hair was kept cropped close to his head and made him look like he had a halo. His suspenders stretched over a large belly. Kelvin hadn't had to get his actual hands dirty in a long time, and he had let himself go a little bit over the years. From what Ryn knew he used to be really athletic, long and lean, like Robbie, but looking at him now… well, it was difficult to see.

"Hey, Kelvin," Ryn grinned, her face lighting up as she looked around the office. It was lined with built-in bookshelves, and each shelf was packed full. She'd known Kelvin collected old books, but to see the collection in person was something else entirely. It was breathtaking, and it left the room smelling like old paper.

"Get that grin off your face, girl, we're here to talk business. Close the door and sit down."

Ryn did as she was told and folded her hands in her lap, her eyes trained on the big man.

"I got a job that needs someone of your particular stature. This is your one shot, girl, and you better not screw it up."

"You couldn't have asked anyone better," Ryn beamed. "I'll have whatever it is quicker than you can say "Bob's your uncle". What is it that I'm getting?"

"A ring." Kelvin said, his round face showing that he was not amused or entertained in the least by Ryn's antics. "The only reason I'm giving you this shot is because none of my boys are small enough to fit into the ventilation shafts at the Hotel Prosper. And that's going to be the only access to the ring." Kelvin moved across the room and stood in front of Ryn, his watery blue eyes focused on her face. "Do not put the ring on. It is important that you remember that."

Ryn nodded but didn't say anything. She was waiting for Kelvin to continue. The silence built between them for a minute before he spoke again. "I'm going against my better judgement sending you, but I don't have a choice. This ring will pay for half of the renovations in the Ward, it's a big payday. Play your cards right, girl, and you'll be sitting pretty as well. Just don't put the ring on."

"I got that part. I won't put the ring on, sheesh. What's it look like? Is it guarded? Is there anything else I need to know?" Ryn's excitement had reached an apex and the questions just flew from her mouth. "What floor of the hotel is it on? Who wants it? Why can't I put it on? I won't, but I'm curious. How hard do you think it's going to be? I'm not worried or anything, but on a scale of one to ten…"

"Enough!"

Ryn squeaked and shut her mouth, her brown eyes shining bright.

"It will be guarded, that's why you gotta go through the vents. I'll give you the instructions and if you follow 'em to a T you'll be fine. Just don't dawdle. Get in, get the ring, and get out."

The next hour was spent with Kelvin explaining exactly how he expected Ryn to act, exactly what he expected her to do, and exactly how he expected her to do it. Ryn took it all in, absorbing the information like a sponge. It was a good plan. Even she couldn't mess it up. And after all was said and done, Ryn was excused and she left feeling giddy with excitement.

Robbie was still waiting for her when she descended the stairs. "I got a job!" she squealed, throwing her arms around his neck. This was her first real job. It was what was going to get her into Kelvin's good graces, and she couldn't have been happier.

Ryn all but skipped home, so lost in thought that she didn't realize that she was being watched. The eyes trained on her followed until she disappeared behind the door to her home, and then they watched for a while longer before disappearing into the night.

The next day, Ryn staked out the Hotel Prosper, making sure it was all exactly as Kelvin had said, and sure enough it was. A few times she got the impression that she was being watched, but she brushed it off. Surely, Kelvin would have sent someone to make sure she was doing what she was supposed to be doing. After scoping out the Hotel, Ryn made a detour on her way home. She veered off course just enough so that her feet landed in front of the boarding house that the man she'd tried to rob was staying at. She wasn't sure what prompted her to go there, but she watched for a while until he returned from wherever it was that he had gone. She thought about going to say hello, and actually introducing herself, thought better of it. She was on a path that didn't involve him, maybe she would eventually need his help, but right now she was doing fine on her own. Tonight was the night, anyway. Once the moon was high enough in the sky she'd set out to complete her first job. As excited as she was to get it done, she doubted the man would share in her excitement. He had made his stance on her life choices clear. Ryn sighed and turned away from the boarding house. Slipping back into the shadows, she made her way back to the hotel.

Shimmying up a drainpipe, she made it to the vent, and began unscrewing the cover. It didn't take her long to open up the pathway, and she swung herself into the cramped space. She'd been shown the blueprints of the hotel in Kelvin's office, so she had a general idea of where she was going. It was hard to slither through the ducts, but she managed it well enough. If she'd been just a touch bigger this wouldn't have been possible. At the first intersection she took a right, then a left at the next fork. She counted silently in her head as she moved past the next turn and the next, until finally she believed she was in position. She pressed her face to the vent she hovered over and listened carefully, squinting through the slits to make sure the room was empty before pulling out a magnetic screwdriver to work on removing the cover. Again, she made short work of it, remembering to tie a piece of string to the cover to lower it to the ground without so much as a sound.

She shimmied past the hole, and then lowered herself through it feet first, swinging from the edge before letting go and landing on the ground with a soft thump.

"Did you hear that?" Came a voice from the other side of the door. Ryn froze, afraid to move lest she be discovered.

"I didn't hear anything," was the reply.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. If you're so worried about it why don't you check. I didn't hear nothing though."

"I don't want to be in the same room with that thing. You know I heard the boss say it's cursed."

"You lie."

Ryn eyed the display case that housed the ring, and inched closer to it.

"I don't. Boss said it was cursed. Once you put it on you can't take it off. And it's haunted by its past owners."

"Why would the boss want a haunted, cursed ring?"

"It's not the ring, it's what's inside it that he wants. He's trying to figure out how to get the good stuff without having to deal with the whole death curse stuff."

Ryn's hands felt around the glass case, looking for a switch or lever or something to cause it to release its hold on the pedestal it sat on.

"What benefit could it possibly have?"

"Well, the wearer has access to the knowledge of all those who wore it before, I guess. I don't know the whole thing seems out there. I don't know that I believe it, but the boss sure does, and if it is true I want nothing to do with it."

"There's no way it's true."

"I'm just telling you what I heard."

Click. Ryn's finger found purchase on a small round button at the base of the glass and with a click and a pop the glass was off and in her hands. She eyed the ring warily.

"What's inside the ring?"

"I don't know, but it can't be good. It's locked inside a cursed ring for God's sake."

She picked up the ring. It was large and gaudy, not something she'd ever wear for fashion's sake, with a large amber gem in the center. Eyeing it closer, she noticed a crease in the metal, like a locket's crease. And Ryn idly considered opening it, but thought better of it. She needed to get out of there. She was also having second thoughts about taking it. But if it was dangerous shouldn't it be taken out of the hands of those that would use it? Would Kelvin use it? Or his buyer? She didn't even know who the buyer was. Ryn slipped the ring into the pouch on her belt and moved toward the small window on the side of the room. It was to be her exit.

"What good is a bunch of dead guys' knowledge anyway?"

"Depends on what they knew, I guess."

The window was nailed shut. Silently, Ryn cursed and pulled out her hammer. She managed two nails silently, but when she managed to get the third one out it popped out with enough force to clatter to the hardwood floor.

"That I heard." The doorknob started to turn.

Ryn flung the window open and scrambled up the wall. She was halfway out when two confused looking faces appeared from behind the door.

"Thief!"

"Grab her!"

Ryn let go and slid the rest of the way out the window and down the side of the building. Luckily she wasn't too high up. She was off before they managed to make it to the window, but they'd gotten a good look at her face. Shouts sounded behind her. Someone screamed "Grab that girl! Thief! Thief!" but the only thing that did was cause enough confusion that Ryn managed to get herself lost in the crowd.

Her heart was pounding by the time she'd stopped, and she was almost home. She knew she should have headed for Kelvin's but, something told her not to hand the ring over. She wasn't sure why, but holding onto the ring for a couple days wouldn't hurt anyone.

After making it home she hid her pouch in a drawer and climbed into bed. She didn't sleep a wink that night.

The next morning, she dug the ring out of her drawer and tied the pouch to the inside of her pants before leaving her bedroom. She didn't feel comfortable leaving it unguarded. She spent the day doing normal things, trying to go about her business as she normally would. She ran a few errands for her mother, helped her father around the house, and around sundown she found herself once again outside the boarding house, watching for the man. The ring was heavy against her thigh, and she wanted to tell someone about what she'd heard, but she didn't have anyone to tell. He said if she needed help… Ryn shook her head. She didn't even know him. How could she trust him. She turned and made her way back home.

She'd almost made it to her door when a large figure stepped in her path. The night's shadows obscuring his face as she tried to skirt around him. A large hand grasped her shoulder and shoved her back. Her eyes went wide as he moved in on her. Her small frame feinted to the left before rushing to the right, but he saw through her ploy and shoved her to the ground in front of him. As he leaned closer his features became clearer. He had a long hooked nose, and bushy eyebrows. His breath smelled rancid as it escaped overly large lips. Ryn scrambled backward on her butt before trying to get to her feet again.

The man laughed, and shook his head. "You've lost your way, sweetheart. Your mother would be so upset if you didn't make it back."

On her feet now, Ryn turned back the way she came and took off through streets, turning down tiny pathways between buildings, hoping that the large man wouldn't be able to follow. Her heart was pounding in her chest, as she raced around another corner, the moon shining down on her from above. She winced. It was already time, she didn't have time to go home. She stopped and looked back the way she had came, it was clear. Nothing and nobody had followed her. It took her a minute to catch her breath, and calm herself but she managed and took a few moments to get her bearings. She was close to Robbie's house, perhaps he'd walk her home.

The next few days came and went, and Ryn started to feel a little silly about not turning the ring over to Kelvin. Robbie had asked her about the job, and she didn't tell him it was done. She just gave him a shrug and a vague reply about it not being finished. It wasn't a lie; the job wasn't finished until she gave Kelvin the ring, after all. Ryn had also begun to feel safe again. She didn't require Robbie to walk her everywhere anymore, and things started returning to normal, except for the ring that she kept hidden up against her leg.

Slam!

A thick hand around Crow's face slammed the tengu into a wall, and his back arched forward around his hidden wings as he felt them sting, though it was nothing compared to the dizziness from his attacker's stench and the blow of his head against the hard wall.

"Where is it?" The thug demanded.

A few more stood ready with harpoon guns.

They caught him by surprise.

He had to defend himself, but one wrist was broken and the other was held by the thug's other hand, ready to snap if he moved.

The reek of sweat on the man's palm smashed his face as much as the force of the thing, and Crow glared over it, but remained still, retaining dignity even as he was held up off the ground by his attacker.

He waited.

The thug released his arm, growing impatient.

Crow slashed with unseen claws aimed for the man's face, and the thug dropped him and screamed, gripping his bloody flesh.

Thunk! Thunk!

Crow grunted as they impaled each of his arms, but he didn't stumble.

Instead, he forced his less mangled arm to pull his fan from his belt, and with a single swing, wind sent the men flying.

The tengu did not remain, but fled. He took the rear entrance to his room to avoid the landlord, and only then did he stop, two long rods stuck through his arms as they hung limp, one gripping his fan tight even as a small trickle of blood emerged from beneath his sleeve.

What in the hells was he going to do now?

He felt... dizzy.

He wanted to sit down.

His rear found the floor, and he sat there, one leg folded under the other as he looked from one arm to the other.

It had been... a long time—a very long time—since anyone but Elizabeth drew blood from him.

The next few days were strange. People following her around. A few guys tried to grab her off the street. A group of hooligans tried to rough her up in an alleyway. The only thing that saved her was the fact that she was small enough to fit into hiding places they couldn't. It had gotten to the point where Ryn was afraid to go anywhere. Every time she stepped out of the house she got scared, but she did anyway.

She didn't want to believe that it had anything to do with her choices of late. Would Kelvin send thugs to collect from her? That didn't really seem to be his style.

~~~~​

Ryn stepped inside her room and blinked. The mess that spread before her was something out of a story. Her room had been ransacked. Swallowing hard she stepped into the debris, picking her way across the room to the bed, which had been shredded. All of her stuff, destroyed. A hiccup escaped her throat, and that was all she needed for the tears to start streaming down her face.

Who would do something like this? Her tools were all broken, bent, and completely unusable, all she had left were the few things she'd carried on her. Her clothes were thrown like confetti across the floor. A wide assortment of colors and fabrics to pick through, but from the look of it they too had been destroyed.

She stumbled out of the mess and back into the kitchen, her eyes red and puffy from crying. It was just stuff, but Ryn felt violated. Someone had entered her personal space and ransacked her stuff. Ironic that she planned to regularly invade other people's spaces. She sniffled and wiped the tears away with the back of her hand. This had to be about the ring.

She was suddenly all too aware of it laying against her leg.

She was in over her head, she needed help. She had no one to turn to; she couldn't imagine bringing her parents in on this. Their fear would override their logic. Kelvin was out of the question, as was Robbie. Ryn had never felt more alone in her life.

The tears threatened to return, but Ryn knew she didn't have time to wallow. What if whoever did this was still nearby? What would have happened if her parents had been home? These questions scared the hell out of her, but they also kicked her butt into gear.

Rising to her feet, Ryn decided to go to the only person she could think of---the man she tried to rob. If there was any time she was in need of assistance, it would be now. She moved through the mess like it wasn't even there, and as soon as she hit the street she was running as quick as she could.

The sound of running footsteps echoed behind her, and Ryn glanced over her shoulder. The thug from the other night was gaining on her. His long strides making up for her head start, she knew she would get caught in a straight race.

Ryn's reached out and grabbed a light pole, using it to turn her body and launch it down a little path between the buildings. It was almost small enough to make her feel cramped, and she hoped that whoever was following her couldn't fit or it at least slowed them down. Another glance over her shoulder caught the man glaring at her from the light pole. He didn't look like he was coming after her any longer.

Heart pounding, Ryn allowed herself to slow down a bit. She needed to be able to run the whole distance, after all, and sprinting was out of the question. Her tiny alleyway came to an end, and Ryn peeked out from around the corner before stepping out onto the street. It was relatively busy. A crowd coming from the marketplace made their way toward her. She could easily get lost in the throng of people. Walking quickly, that's exactly what she did.

The crowd kept her concealed for several blocks before it started to disperse, and once again Ryn caught sight of her pursuer. She was almost there, but he was standing in the way. Taking a deep breath, heart pounding in her ears, Ryn lowered her head and took off at a run directly toward the man. They were far enough apart that he had time to prepare though. He squared his shoulders and hips and held out his arms like he was going to catch her. At the last minute though, Ryn dropped to the ground and slid causing him to flail trying to catch her. She slid between his feet and quickly hopped up, sprinting the rest of the way to the boarding house.

She didn't bother stopping at the bottom and talking to the proprietor, Ryn bound up the stairs two at a time and threw herself against the door.

"I think I'm in need of assistance!" she called out, her gaze moving down over the steps. The thug hadn't followed her inside, but she knew he would be waiting for when she came out.

Crow jerked his head up. His blurred vision caught sight of the door, and he blinked through the dizziness from removing the first harpoon.

The pain was something he'd not felt in a long time, but he nodded.

Had he imagined that shout?

Regardless, he raised his voice.

"Come in!"

He could smell her fear and her tears, and instinct pushed him to protect her—to rise to his feet and step towards the door, opening it and pulling her into the room using one hand on her head.

Crow looked up and down the hall, then closed the door and locked it behind her before he leaned forward against it, panting.

A harpoon still stuck out from one arm, and the other's sleeve was stained red. His face, pale and moist with sweat, slowly turned to look at her out of the corner of one dark eye.

"Help with this, please." he panted and glanced toward the harpoon.

Now that she was in the room with him, she could see large, black wings behind him, tucked tight against his back, feathers mussed. He had red skin now, and a long nose, and short legs, but his clothing preferences were unmistakable.

Ryn didn't know what to say-- what to do. She stared at him, her mouth falling open before she gathered herself together. She'd nearly lost it when she first saw him, but his voice, his wardrobe, somehow allayed her doubts for the time being.

"What happened to you?" Was the first thing out of her mouth once she found her voice again. Her fear for herself transforming into fear for him.

She moved to help him with the harpoon, unsure of exactly what to do. She knew it needed to get out of his arm, but her experience with this sort of thing was lacking. It was just lucky she wasn't squeamish at the first sight of blood. She did as he asked, helping him to remove the harpoon from his arm and then she nearly collapsed onto the floor.

"What am I doing here?" she asked panic creeping into her voice. "You're obviously dealing with your own thing, I should have gone somewhere else. I'm sorry. I didn't know where else to turn. And I was chased the whole way here. And my room was vandalized. And you're hurt. Everywhere I turn it's just a mess." She raked her fingers through her short brown hair and plopped down onto the floor. Tears shined in her eyes when she looked up.

Taking a deep shaky breath she shook her head and asked, "Are you going to be alright?"

"Cornered, asking about a ring." He forced a deep breath, then held it as she touched his arm.

As she pulled the barbed thing out, his vision turned white and collapsed He woke after only a moment.

She was talking a lot, but he didn't mind. Gave him something to concentrate on between his heavy breathing and swimming vision.

It hurt, but he lifted a hand and let it rest on her head. It was bloody, but she needed reassurance. Badly.

"Yes. Thank you." He pulled her head lightly towards himself in a hug with minimal physical contact, but that he hoped would help her feel safe, with how his sleeve laid over her back.

"Take a slow, deep breath, then let it out slowly," he urged, "And tell me everything."

He told her before that he would help, and though this wasn't what he expected, he couldn't turn away a scared and crying young woman.

"This is all my fault," she sniffled, sounding dejected. "I have the ring. It's right here." Ryn patted her thigh. "I didn't think that... I didn't think. I'm so sorry. I don't know how to fix this, I can't give the ring back. It's dangerous."

Ryn finally took a that deep breath and told him everything. She told him about Robbie and Kelvin and the job. She told him what she had overheard while stealing the ring. She told him how she messed up and let them see her face. Everything. She was still crying by the end of it, trying hard to keep it in check, but now on top of the fear and panic, she had guilt to deal with too.

She had been talking nonstop for a while before her story finally ended and she wiped her face with the back of her hand and sniffled once more, her face puffy and red. "See why I can't give it back. I didn't hand it over to Kelvin either. He's probably irate right about now, but it's too dangerous. I can't in good conscience give it up."

Her whole body shook as she reached into her pants and untied the little pouch. As she held it up she added, "I can't explain why I feel so strongly about it, but I can't just give it back."

He sighed. He could have said he told her so. He could have bragged that he was right. Instead, he wiped her eyes.

"You're safe," Crow assured. He didn't offer to take it, because he assumed that would be too hasty—she likely didn't trust him yet, and it would be strange if she did.

"We need to dispose of it, but first..." The hardest part would be ending the danger to Ryn. "We need to stop the chase."

He forced a deep breath, forcing himself to focus despite the slowly-ebbing pain in his arms.

The best way was to let the pursuers see her give the ring to him, but not like his. He could see his own nose, and even through his struggling, he didn't want to reveal himself to people who might or might not be superstitious.

"Take your time. We need to approach this with clear heads."

Him, also.

He forced a deep, unsteady breath.

Distractions?

Distractions.

"What's your name? I go by Crow, because most don't bother pronouncing my name right."

His wings flicked in annoyance.

Her relief was palpable when he didn't so much as ask to see the ring. She was here to get help, but seeing his disinterest in the ring itself was heartening. She pulled her hand back toward her body. It had felt right to finally get everything off her chest. To not be the only person seeing what was happening. She sighed, her breath still shaky and relaxed just a tiny bit.

His introduction earned him a weak smile and a hurried response. "Kaevryn--No, I mean, that's my name, but call me Ryn." Truth be told she had forgotten that they hadn't been formally introduced. Everything had been moving so fast recently. It was just one thing after another. Silence fell for a moment, Ryn unsure what to say next. So she did what she always did when she had nothing to say and her nerves had been shot: she started talking. "Why do you look so different? I almost thought you weren't you, but your clothes are pretty recognizable. And your voice, I recognized your voice kind of.

Do you need anything else? I mean, you're pretty hurt. I could probably help you bandage it probably. Probably..." She let herself trail off and cleared her throat. She needed to do something. To not focus on the immediate problem. He was right, a clear head was what she needed. She needed to move, or talk, or something.