Light turned to dark, and back again, flickering and flashing, before what remained was the blackness, like the bleak midnight of the streets. Only here it was condensed, cloistered and claustrophobic. Cassia could feel her resting heart begin to quicken, could feel the onset of an adrenaline-daze, as if a starter pistol had gone off next to her ear. Time to go, as it were.

"You sound awfully wholesome; it's lovely." Cassia mused, practically charmed by the girl. "I'm with you on the 'together' front, for the record, so if you could pardon me for a moment."

Dakota may have been invulnerable, but she - and as far as she knew, Patrick, Hedieh, and the rest of them - was not; and she didn't understand enough about her 'sharing' power to trust it. There was little security in rushing into the unknown, and a limit as to how far quick feet and a quick mind could get you - sometimes, you needed a little luck. Maximizing her chances was her concern.

Typically, luck came at someone else's expense - and the more people they had, the better chance she - and Patrick - had. She needed to hedge a little. There were still pieces to put on the board.

Cassia moved towards the couch, addressing the slightly addled, hissing and growling, boy whining about his sleep.

"Hey, sleepy, I recognized your voice." She stood over those assembled by and on the couch.

"I remember it echoing all throughout the cells, when the men would come and take their pick. You said some weird stuff; older people would probably think you needed 'saving'. Honestly, they'd probably be right. I thought to myself; 'if I ever get out of here, I'm going to kick that guy in the nuts'.

That was, at first, until I realized one of a few things probably happened to you. Maybe you really did go crazy - or maybe it's just a put-on. Honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. You also probably gave up; I did, for a while - till just a few minutes ago, really. And you're probably what the smart people call a 'fatalist'.

And if any of those are true: why not just come with us? Either you'll die or you won't, you'll make it out or you won't - and you'll have all the time in the world to sleep. Besides, you can say all the messed-up things you'd like if one of us bites it; you'd enjoy that, right?"

@CloudyBlueDay

Patrick O'Malley

Patrick's eyes widened as he turned to each individual who identified themselves, and again as several of them demonstrated their powers. If their abilities were working …

Cassia's obvious discomfort had driven the boy to release her from the hug, though he stood close by in an effort to hold fast to at least one person he knew. And maybe even to protect them, if need be. The bubbly girl to his side began posing plans, encouraging others to come up with strategies. A central aspect of which seemed to be her own safety being threatened. As his waifish friend sought out the rather sleepy looking kid on the couch, he found himself stepping forward to address Dakota.

"Thass a brave gesture, Dakota, but it ain't righ', lettin' a lady jump in tah danger." Twisting up his face in concentration, he pointed a finger at a wall. A shining gold disc appeared, its brother soon after flashing into existence just beside him. He reached through the latter, and his hand exited the former. "I can take a peek 'n' save anybody from gettin' hurt. Er, invulnerable or no."

GET OUT. They were toying with them. Whomever 'they' were. And he wouldn't play their games. At least, not by their rules.

@Elle Joyner

Bringing the House Down

The path to the security room was quiet as Hang and Alex continued. Archer and Casey did not pop up, and there was no gust of wind around them to say that Archer was even spying. It was still, uncomfortably still, but they would make it to their destination.

Upon opening the security room door, they would be greeted by Jace's smiling face. He stood with his arms outstretched with a grin that stretched far beyond his ears. "I've been waiting all damn day for this, and you guys are fuckin' slow."

With both palms facing Hang and Alex, he suddenly clenched his fists. With this movement, laughter would bubble up from the two's mouth, laughter so strong it might make one fall to the knees and perhaps put some strain on the bladder. Jace's eyes glowed a deep mustard yellow, the smile never ceasing as he seemed to be pulling the laughter out of his enemies relentlessly.

"TH-TH-THIS IS PR-PRETTY ANNOY-Y-YING," Alex said, or tried to through the laughter. Even if his mouth was laughing, the look of murder only seemed to grow. If only looks could kill…

Moving the fire-extinguisher around in his arms, he didn't think much of it as he squeezed the handle, pointing directly at Jace. It wasn't like anyone would actually be that harmed from some sprayed foam.

Hang, meanwhile, was doing her best to hold in the laughter, but there was little she could do as she doubled over, wheezing. Her heart rate climbed, and her skin began to morph around her in response, a certain amount of panic overtaking her. She leaned against the door jamb as she gritted her teeth, eyes wide as she stared at Jace. I have to stop. I have to stop. Already, she could feel the change deep in her muscles as the skin began to splay out into spines, as if her skin was trying its best to find the source of the discomfort and eradicate it.

She leaned against a chair, and with both hands, she lifted it and chucked it at Jace, hysterically giggling past strained cheeks, teeth clamped down hard as they began to lengthen into points.

Jace seemed very focus on his assault upon the two. He clutched his fists together tightly, as it seemed correlated to the severity of the laughter he could pull out of his opponents, as his teeth gritted and his eyes shone bright. In his focus, he had not caught on to Alex's plan of assault, and his concentration was broken as a shower of foam was blasted at him.

Stumbling back with an angered shout as he tried to get it out of his eyes, Hang threw the chair. If Archer had not appeared out of nowhere, moving Jace's froth covered form out of the way and further into the security room, he would have surely been hit.

"Just saving your life, bro!" Archer chirped, dusting some foam off his shirt as Jace let out a snarl. "Now, you two!"

In the blink of an eye, Archer had grabbed onto the collars of both Hang and Alex. In another moment, he'd sped them both outside in the hallway, right in front of the security door. Hang spluttered as she got her wind back, unhappy to be manhandled. Casey, who had been leaning against the doorway, slipped back in. Archer beamed down at the two.

"Bye!" He announced, and shut the door. A purple smoke began to seep from the crack underneath.

"Oh hell no," Alex growled, turning around and immediately making his way towards the armory.

"Alex? Hey, where the hell are you going?!" Hang shouted before looking at the door and squinting her eyes.

Glancing about, he marched over to the shelf with the odd contraptions on it. As much a fun choice a conventional axe would be to scare them with, there was probably a good chance they wouldn't be scared of just him wielding a simple axe. "Okay…what can I take…" he mumbled, grabbing the walkie-talkie and tossing it in his back pocket as well as the megaphone.

"Let's see…two buttons…should be easy enough to use," he mumbled, walking back over to the security door. "Hang, I have no idea what this does, but it looked interesting, so stay out of the line of fire," he said briskly, pointing the megaphone at the door before pressing the red button.

Hang, who'd been slowly calcifying the skin around her hands into frightening clubs, looked back at Alex and his contraption with incredulity, but she stepped back anyways.

"Well, if that doesn't work, we've got plan B," she muttered, hefting two fists covered in thick, keratinized skin.

It took no more than a moment for the device to whir to life. The box attached to the megaphone shook with power as Casey continued to allow her smog to creep through the crack underneath the door.

The force of the explosion emitted from the megaphone would blow even Alex back. Sound waves were blasted towards the door, knocking it entirely off the hinges and blowing the door back onto the three Protectors who stood behind it.

Casey was hit first. Both Casey and the door, were thrown into Jace and Archer, who stood behind her, creating a very Three Stooges looking picture.

"Fuck, it's Basil's megaphone!" Jace yelled. Archer shoved the door off of them and shook Casey, who was entirely limp. "Archer, get us out of here!" Archer, wide eyed, nodded furiously, wrapping his arm around Casey's waist to pull her up, and then grabbing Jace's hand. With a gust of wind they were gone.

Hang, who was also thrown to the side by the massive wave of sound, shook her head in confusion. To her dismay, she realized that she could hear not a single thing. She was deaf as a post.

"Alex?" she said, trying to stand up and finding that the ground refused to obey simple gravity. "Let's-let's go."

She headed straight to the security room, knocking into chairs and walls in a daze. Her eyes immediately went to the screens in front of her.

Alex groaned as he picked himself up off the floor, shaking his head as he followed Hang into the room. "SO WHERE ARE THEY," he shouted, picking at his ear as he turned to look at the screen as well.

There were cameras in every room. It displayed the skirmish that Austin and Joan were wrapped up in, the smoke filled room with a large tree lumbering around in the middle of it. Archer, Jace, and Casey, had zipped over to the kitchen, where they two men both stood over Casey, trying to wake her up. There seemed to be some sort of inactive contraption in the gym. The only room that was not empty was the pool. Victor stop protectively in front of it, arms crossed with narrowed eyes, watching and waiting.

Beneath the surface of the water, something glimmered, reflective like one of Koa's shields, glistening lavender blue underneath the water.

"Notice; hostages are in the pool. Casey's been incapacitated, but Archer and Jace are still up and in the kitchen. Jace can make you laugh with his hands. Victor is in the pool room, possible Koa as we-wait is that a goat."

"We need to catch up to them," Hang suggested. "They're not exactly combative people if you haven't noticed."

"I want to try trap them in the kitchen…" Alex said, rolling his shoulder as he looked at the megaphone in his hands again. "No, hostages take priority. Lets go Hang. We do need to catch up."

"Ready when you are," Hang said, offering a spiky hand.

"Ugh…can we just walk?" Alex groaned, grabbing Hang's hand before using his powers again.

There was a small beep that announced the intercom system was in use. "I won't stop the exercise because you used the megaphone on accident," Darius announced. "But keep it to the blue button, please."

Alex came out for a second to give the nearest camera a thumbs up before disappearing again.

a collab with @Sairento and @Doctor Jax

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Radio Jelly
The Black Glow

As Aaron realized he was being addressed, he turned over unhappily, sitting himself upright and staring at the annoyance with a look of malice in his eyes. He waited patiently, very patiently, as she spoke, and his expression did not quiver. He was terrifyingly still.

"This always happens with the fresh batches." He growled. "You're far too enthusiastic."

A darkness overtook his eyes, like a glow, but further. It encased not just the pupil, but Aaron's sclera. Everything turned black. As this occurred, all the darkness in the room seemed to move towards him, as if Aaron was pulling it closer. Tentacles formed beneath him, tentacles of writhing black. All the while, Aaron had not moved a finger, sitting poised on the couch.

Two of his tentacles would grasp Cassia by the feet, tangible enough to hold her in place. A darkness would infiltrate her, starting at the tips of her toes, climbing it's way through her skin, as if withering her away. Her veins would turn to black and a choking sensation would begin, not enough to kill.. Just enough to be left struggling for air.

"I'll save you the trouble." He muttered. "You think you'll take everyone along for a better chance of escape? There is no escape. This is a ploy. This is what they want to see. Us, using our powers against each other. I'm not one to disagree."

Perhaps Aaron's sudden bout of anger and display of power was the perfect chance to form a plan; if one were interested in leaving Cassia to suffer.

"So, where's that kick in the nuts?" He cooed.

@Elle Joyner @rissa @Red Thunder @Eru @HerziQuerzi @Shizuochan

Patrick didn't wait to form any plan. He'd balked at the sudden otherworldly movement of the shadows, managing to push Dakota behind him in what was probably a futile effort to keep her safe. But when he saw where it was that darkness was traveling, and what it was doing, he dropped all fear for himself or even fear for those not in immediate danger.

"It's right here, yah mutha fuckah!"

He sprinted forward, stumbling in his weariness and in his body's small atrophy before closing the distance to Aaron. Raising a fist, Paddy directed it toward the boy's face with every inch of strength he could muster. Cassia was made of sterner stuff than this, and she didn't deserve to suffer ... whatever the hell it was this Shadow-Mancer was doing to her.

@CloudyBlueDay @Shizuochan

Aaron did not flinch. In the instant that Patrick had aimed his fist and sprinted, one of his tentacles had reached up, coiling itself around Patrick's waist and flinging the boy back, throwing him into the wall. Keeping it's hold on Patrick's waist, he was soon afflicted similarly to Cassia, veins turning black and choking beginning. All the while Aaron did not move, did not even look towards Patrick. He began to hum under his breath, staring blankly ahead. His hands folded together as his eyes glimmered black, the darkness in the room bending easily to his will.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Aero Blue and Joan
A New Path

Glancing up at Mason with wide fearful eyes, Leo stood hesitantly, realizing quickly that despite Patrick's best effort, it didn't seem Aaron was willing to let Cassia go without a fight. But fighting each other went against everything he set out to do. No, Leo thought to himself as he made his way over to Parker, I can show him a better way.

"Hey, Parker right?" Leo said quickly. "Mind givin' me a shock? I think I have an idea."

Parker stared at the scene before him with an open mouth. He had spent months with Aaron in the cells, but had never seen his powers in action. He didn't know what to do and could only watch with wide eyes, feeling himself a coward.
Then Leo approached him, and Parker shook himself out of his shock. "A...shock?" Parker echoed, the static-y tufts of his hair on edge. "That's... not..." Not the best idea, but what choice did they have?

"...Are you sure?"

"Well lets just say if it works, it'll be worth it. Now gimme a sec' to prepare." Closing his eyes and inhaling deep, Leo focused and called to the specs of energy he could feel outside the room. He couldn't differentiate what belonged to what, so he stretched his limits as far as they could go, focusing on all of them. "When I give the word, grab my shoulder and give me your best shot."
Parker nodded nervously. He admired Leo for the brave choice he was making, even if he wasn't sure what that choice.. exactly was. "R-right." Parker mumbled, bringing up his palm and allowing his electricity to fizzle within it. It had been a long time since he had used his power. They had cast him aside for the recent weeks.. he hoped this would be the first time it would go towards something good.

"I'm ready."

"Good, so am I." Leo said nervously, his eyes remaining closed as he shifted his stance to face the door straight on. "Now."
At Leo's word, Parker gripped Leo's shoulder and sent all of his power through it. He tried to give Leo at least a full few seconds of electricity, waiting for some sort of reaction while also trying to gage Leo's physical well being. Parker nervously gazed at the boy, and took his hand off with a gasp once he thought he could take no more.

Leo pushed his power with all his might and as he reached full extension, he felt Parker's hand clamp over his shoulder... and then the excruciating pain of his shock. If he hadn't spent the first week discovering the limits of his powers he might have lost the connection, but as it stood, his idea worked, and Parker gave him the boost he needed.

His eyes opened momentarily, glowing blue-gold, and though he wavered on the spot, he smiled triumphantly. Within moments his augmented abilities could distinguish the door locking system from the rest and on his command, it slid open.

The gold rimmed blue of his glow slowly fizzled out as he wavered on the spot. Glancing around the room at his fellow metas, eyes alight with hope instead of fear. If they fought together... instead of against each other, they had a chance.

"Remember who you really wanna' fight, Aaron."

And then the Millennium City native passed out, crumbling to the floor.

Parker's chest heaved as he watched the door open with a gasp. He fell to his knees and shook the boy, glancing back at Aaron, the emotionless manipulator as Parker tried to pull Leo up off of the ground. "Leo!" Mason cried, leaving his post near the couch and dashing to the floor, grabbing Leo's shoulders as he was limp in Parker's lap, pressing his fingers against his neck to try and check his pulse.
Aaron seemed shaken by this act. He watched the door swing open, his gaze for the first time being pulled in another direction. First, the empty hallway that gaped beyond the door. Then, Leo on the floor.

The blackness in his eyes dissipated and Cassia and Patrick were released from the hold of his tentacles, the darkness in their veins dissipating and the choking sensations ending. Aaron put his hand over his mouth and sat on the couch in silence, waiting for whatever was coming to him.

The speed by which things escalated was enough to give a person whiplash. Dakota had been watching Cassia when the creepy, dark haired kid suddenly transitioned into something much more frightening than an angsty Hot Topic consumer and her throat stuck on a cry as the girl was swiftly enveloped in the black tendrils. Patrick moved before any of them could, and as he shoved Dakota out of the fray and raced forward, only the be half splattered into the wall, she felt a second surge of fear.

Fear and something else.

These were people. Real, genuine people... And these labcoat monsters were toying with them like dolls in a dollhouse. Anger didn't come by the young blonde often, but it rippled through her then, briefly. She started forward in Patrick's wake, only to be halted by the voices behind her.

It was Leo and Parker who devised the plan... Unspoken and swift and it all happened so fast there didn't seem more than a few seconds between to react. One moment there was a boy and shadows and a closed door. The next, the door and the tendrils were gone from the occasion... The boy on the floor.

Hands over her mouth, Dakota stared, shaken... as Parker rushed to aid Leo. Desperately, she searched for any of usr, but words would not come, and instead, slowly, her gaze drifted to the exit. A gaping hole, beckoning them to the pretense of freedom. Too good to be true... It was all too good to be true.

Looking instead across the way, she broke from her petrified state and. moved to Cassia and Patrick, crouching between the pair, "Oh gosh... Are...are you two okay?" Her eyes flooded as she reached out a shaking hand, retracting it a moment later, "Maybe now you can let me go out first?" She asked, gaze shifting to the Irishman.
TAGS: Collab with Cloudy || @rissa, @CloudyBlueDay, @Shizuochan, @Red Thunder, @Everyone

• Love
Reactions: rissa
Pool Cues and Snouts
Collab between @Radio Jelly, @Joan, and @CloudyBlueDay
He didn't know what he was expecting. The multitude of possibilities flickered through his mind all at once in the mere moments before emerging through the doorway. Like a scared child, he tried to imagine the worst; he imagined metas who could shoot lasers, metas who could make weapons out of thin air, and metas who could knock him out at a glance. As he heard the same scraping sound across the carpets, he even briefly wondered at the possibility of another meta like Hang, capable of monstrous form. The thought sent a cold shiver down his spine.

What he did not expect was the goat.

"Out of the way! Austin, we need some cover!"

Silas's orders sounded a thousand miles away as Austin looked on in stupefied confusion at the massive billy goat barreling towards them. He didn't consider himself much of a zoologist, but even he could tell that Christina was a hell of a lot bigger--and, in that moment, scarier--than any goat he'd ever seen. Just like that, Austin discovered yet another irrational fear he didn't know he had.

Unfortunately, he didn't have time to think about his options, or to even respond to Silas's orders. Instead, he scrambled to the front of the group, thrust both arms out, and let loose a miasma of grey smog in Christina's direction. Typically, he had been unable to focus the cloud's direction, and though it still traveled in a wide, conical fashion, Austin considered any measure of sway a small victory. Still, his powers were undeveloped, and the smoke only travelled a handful of feet before dissipating at the edges.

He had tried to be judicial in his use, but he worried about the longevity of his abilities. He didn't have time to fret, though. Instead, he glanced rapidly over his shoulder in Silas's direction, both for further instruction, and to be sure Joan had made it to cover.

In moments of extreme stress, sometimes, the most random thoughts would pop into Joan's head. In this case, as Christina began her charge, all she could think through her shock was Well, I guess we know why she has horns now.

Silas's shouted orders forced her into movement, and she ran to the left, diving behind the nearest object that was a relatively safe distance away. She landed on her side with a grunt, and as she reached up to brace herself on the table, her hand closed on some kind of hefty wooden pole.

Wha? Glancing up, she could see that she had wound up next to a pool table, and when she got to her feet, she saw the balls scattered as if in the middle of the game, with one of the cues lying along the side of the table. She had grabbed the other one from its place on the other side of the table, and for now, she figured she should hold onto it. It may be a bit unwieldy, and it definitely wasn't much against the massive goat, but it was the closest thing she had to a weapon right now, and it would probably come in handy at some point.

Looking up from the cue, she saw that Austin had stepped up and managed a cloud of smoke between Christina and them. It hadn't gone far, but it was cover, at least.

What can I even do, though?

Gripping the pool cue in both hands like a spear, she waited for either new orders from Silas, the opportunity to do something, or the need to dodge again.

Silas recognized that both Joan and Austin seemed a little inclined to wait for his call. He knew Christina well; she had been apart of the team for years, and he considered her, like all the Protectors, his friend. He knew this was just a distraction. Christina wouldn't go spearing anyone. And if she was here to distract them, they had to be close.

The cover Silas had asked Austin to provide would disorient her. She wouldn't be able to see the two when they hopefully jumped out of the way, and it'd take her a couple seconds to at least find where they were again.

"She's just distracting us!" Silas called out. "Get out of here, go forward! I'll handle her."

It was at this point Silas began to shift. His arms and legs grew first, extending as they turned coarse and rough, fingers turning into gnarled branches. He pulled himself up over the growing smoke and searched for Christina, who had her eyes set on someone else.

She ran circles in the smoke, clearing it even for moments and plotting out her next direction. She pushed through the fog and searched for Austin, the one who was creating it. The moment she saw a figure she lowered her horns once more, charging towards the boy.

Austin was acutely aware that he had only bought them a couple moments, and was not surprised when Christina began to rapidly disperse what was already a barely tenable cover to begin with. In his peripheral, he thought he saw Joan escape to cover, though he wasn't sure here exactly in the room she was. He began to take off at Silas's direction, hoping that Joan had been close enough to hear the change of plan.

With an invigorated leap, Austin sprinted some ways to the right of where he last saw Christina, but very quickly realized it wouldn't be that simple. To reach the door to the gym, they had to run past her, and something told Austin outrunning her was less than probable. He shot forward several feet regardless, desperately hoping he could still capitalize on her confusion, but rapidly disheartened by the truth of the matter.

Through the haze, Christina's massive form was once again making a beeline towards them, but this time the target was clear. Austin imagined Silas could potentially withstand a direct collision, but the boy had already gained too much distance to rely on any kind of intervention. With his heartbeat hammering in his ears, and nowhere to hide, Austin could only see Christina charging towards him, chairs and tables sent flying in her wake.

Chairs.

Instead of trying to run for the door, Austin spun around, and fell low behind the nearest chair. He splayed one hand out wide enough ahead to insinuate that he intended to create another smokescreen, while with his other hand he grasped the chair backboard as tightly as possible. It was a desperate plan, but with Christina's momentum, he knew she'd be less able to make sharp turns.

In a hurried whisper over his comms, Austin hissed, "Joan. Door. Now"

He was a bad judge of distance, but once Christina was approximately within ten feet, he'd do his best to hurl the chair in the direction of her head and, hopefully, distract her attention for just long enough to roll laterally out of her collision course. If he managed as much, then he'd have to leave it up to Silas to keep Christina behind them. After all, there were still more rooms to investigate, and without Silas he knew they would need as many of their abilities as they could muster.

Everything was moving too damn fast. In the time she had gotten to her feet, Silas had shifted and Christina was charging towards Austin, and Silas was telling them to go. Reflexively, she moved, sprinting across the room behind Silas. As she moved, Austin told her to go for the door, and she picked up the pace. A moment later, Alex spoke, and she was able to make out that there were people in the kitchen and hostages in the pool room, along with Victor and Koa.

Fuck. Koa's going to be a hell of a pain if they don't get here in ti-

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw that Austin was behind a chair and poised to throw it at Christina. She hesitated for a moment, unsure if she should stop and help, but Silas had said Christina was only trying to distract them, and that chair looked hopefully big enough, so she sped up again, reaching for the door handle with one hand and lifting the pool cue to throw with the other.

Christina saw it, but only when it was too late. She skidded to a halt, trying to turn away, but the chair was already well on its way, colliding with her snout and pushing her back.

This distraction provided ample time for Silas, who was indeed a bit stocky and slow with such a large form, to reach out with his giant tree-like hands, and pick the goat up. Christina flailed in Silas's grasp, but he held her like a delicate toy. Silas nodded his head in the direction of the door, where Joan was headed, urging them forward.

When Joan and Austin would step into the gym, they would be met with a contraption that whirred the moment the door was opened. This contraption would fire a large net. It wasn't a big line of defense, but it would buy a bit of time for the rest of the group to converge.

As Joan pulled the door open, the first thing to greet her was a giant fucking net. Instinctively, she threw the cue, though she knew that had been a mistake the moment after it was gone. As she threw it, she fell forward, her momentum from running and throwing the cue carrying her forward to fall on her face on the gym floor. The cue flew through one of the holes in the net and bounced off the contraption before also falling to the floor next to the machine.

What the hell?? she thought as the net came falling down on her. A net? A NET??

Austin shared none of the same concern. In fact, while Joan was engorged by Basil's contraption in the gym, Austin was still playing catch up in the common room. He was delayed on two fronts: first, he had to distract Christina, and then—when his plan miraculously worked—he found himself once again distracted by the sight of Silas lifting her into the air. He didn't waste too much time staring, but couldn't help himself from catching a glimpse of Silas's empowered form to satisfy his curiosity.

With a deep sigh of relief, Austin wiped his sweaty palms on the back of his jeans, and jogged across the room to the open doorway. As he moved, he took extra care to not trip over the mess of furniture that had been splayed about by Christina's rampage.

Of course, after slipping into the gym, he caught wind of the trap Joan had fallen into. The moment he registered the scene, his eyes went wide, and he dove to the floor in anticipation of a second net. Only when none came, did he push himself back onto his knees and crawl over to where Joan was caught. Somewhere ahead of him, he took note of the pool cue, and had to suppress a smile at the thought of Joan trying to beat a net-trap with a javelin.

Looking at his teammate prone on the floor, Austin suddenly felt a pang of guilt for inciting her to rush ahead. In a hurried whisper, he spoke.

"I'm-I'm going to try and undo this…Just, uh, stay still. 'Kay?" With some haste, he adjusted his ear-piece and spoke rapidly into the microphone.

"Silas has Christina in the common room. Gym looks empty except for a net trap Joan triggered. Trying to get her out of it now, but it could take a while."

With fumbling hands, he went to work looking for the ends of the garbled netting. The apparent emptiness of the room, coupled with the single machine, put Austin on high-alert. It was too easy, and even he knew it. In between unwrapping the net, he shot suspicious glances about the space for any sign of the trouble he knew was still yet to come.

Joan rolled her eyes at Austin, but did as he asked and stayed still. Now that things were moving a bit slower, she could actually think, and she took full advantage of the opportunity, since she definitely wasn't going anywhere right now.

Alex said Archer, Jace, and Casey were in the kitchen. The kitchen...the only way to here from the kitchen is through the common room, and there's only one door. She could still feel her comm in her ear, thankfully.

"Silas, block the door leading to the kitchen as soon as you can. Archer's group can't get to us if that door's blocked." Assuming he would be able to handle it, she went back to her thoughts.

What else...Victor and possible Koa in the pool room, and this trap accounts for Basil, I'd assume. I doubt Ayla is coming out to fight, with how small she is. That leaves Sapphire.

"Alex, Hang, you didn't see Sapphire anywhere?" A worried note crept into her voice. Sapphire was tough, and Joan still had no idea what she could do, other than appear out of nowhere, and that could mean a LOT of different things.

A gentle grumbling noise came over the comms, Silas's murmur of approval. Christina still gently held in his hand, he squished himself through the common room doorway and lumbered to the kitchen. With a loud THUMP, Silas sat down on right in front of the kitchen door, and rested Christina on his knee, still with a firm grasp on her. Christina bleated in dismay but had no choice except to make herself cozy.

Jace and Archer jumped out of their skins at the sudden loud noise. "What the hell was that?!" Archer squeaked. "Other team's still playing. You need to get Casey to Darius." Jace grumbled, propping her head up on a bag of flour. "Okay. I need to make sure the path's clear first. Get the okay from Darius. Okay?" Archer grumbled. Jace rolled his eyes. "Just go, dipshit."

Archer took a deep breath and sped towards the door. He hit it straight on and fell into a shelf of assorted spices. Jace laughed very hard. The outsiders so far had a bit of a leg up.[/hr]

Something had felt off, something strange about the boy's silence, the vitriol in his stillness. Perhaps Cassia should have caught unto the fact; she was no stranger to the erratic, men and women who would lash out at the slightest provocation. Her instincts, however, had been rusted over by captivity, dulled by complacency. And in any case, it was unlikely she could have expected that.

She had but a moment to register the tentacles wrapped around her, and the pervading black, before her surprise had turned to suffering.

Cassia could feel the heat upon her face, like blood, air, sensation returning to her all at once. She collapsed as she was released, nauseous. It had stopped; why did it stop?

Free to cough, Cassia allowed herself the 'luxury'.

Her face, near buried in the floor due to her coughing fits, turned to glance at the Irishman. The boy was kind, brave - neither of them traits that managed to work to his benefit. Not that Patrick appeared to have any vested interest in working to his own benefit; selfless, foolish. Cassia felt a tinge of appreciation nonetheless, a brief flicker of warmth amidst her cynicism.

And then there was 'Aaron'. Madman, pretender, or fatalist. It made no difference at this point. He - his power - was of a different dimension of terrifying. For the sake of her own preservation, Cassia suppressed her burgeoning resentment.

She spared Aaron not a single glance more.

"Patrick thinks that," Cassia regarded Patrick with a pointed stare, insistent, as she replied to Dakota, "That would be perfectly reasonable, Dakota."

Carry Balls, Carry Bars, and Carrie Underwood
A Collab by @Radio Jelly, @CloudyBlueDay, @Doctor Jax, @Sairento, @Joan

"Didn't see Saph anywhere. Looks like the path is clear."

There was as short pause over the air waves.

"Hey, we're coming to you guys." Hang's voice filtered through the comms to the other teammates throughout the compound. "Should be around in about two minutes."

The news of backup seemed to reinvigorate Austin a little as he worked tediously against the netting. He'd done his best to right it where he could, and had moved on to pulling its ends apart. Two minutes was a long time to wait in battle, but he took some solace in that there had been plenty of time to incapacitate both Joan and himself since he entered, and no one had.

"We'll be here."

Austin flipped back one end of the net, finally having untangled it. He offered Joan an outstretched hand to help her up, but his eyes were trained on their surroundings. Exercise machines littered the room, and he fully intended to re-up on their weapons supply before attempting to enter the hostage room. If Alex was right about the pool room, Austin suspected they'd need every ounce of adrenaline-fueled ingenuity to combat the strongest defenders.

Hearing that they hadn't seen Sapphire worried Joan even further, but it was good that they were heading their way. They would likely need backup to handle the coming fight, considering Victor, Koa, and Sapphire were the ones they had left to face.

"Well, keep an eye out for her if you can. We're going to take a look around here while we wait." As she spoke, Austin pulled the net away. She took his proffered hand and pulled herself up, mumbling a "thanks" before turning to survey the gym equipment.

"Do you think we can lift this?" She prodded the net with the toe of her sneaker, frowning contemplatively. Without waiting for a reply, she made her way across the room and took a bar off a rack, weighing it in her hands before taking a couple test swings. Satisfied, she tucked it under her arm and looked around for anything else she could use.

"We could probably carry it in together, but I'm not sure we'd put it to too much use. Doubt we'd manage to really ensnare anyone in the thick of it."

From where he was kneeling, Austin tested the weight of several dumbbells. He briefly considered using one like a club, but began to laugh at the thought. If anyone was going to charge in close enough to hit someone with a dumbbell, it was not going to be Austin. Amused, and yet disillusioned, the boy slotted each piece of equipment back into its place before standing and dusting himself off. In the corner of the room he spied a couple of medicine balls, and made his way over to them with a renewed interest.

"I'm thinking that Hang at least could probably use some of the heavier stuff in here…" With a look of deep contemplation, he tried to lift each of the balls. The thirty-pound ball was way heavier than he would've expected, and after nearly losing his balance trying to stand with it, he hurriedly put it back in place. Sheepishly, he looked over his shoulder in Joan's direction, hoping her attention was elsewhere.

Twenty pounds it is, I guess.

"What the heck are you guys doing," Alex said as he just…appeared behind them, Hang in tow. "Joan, here, take this," he said, passing over the megaphone he was still holding. "You heard Darius, blue button only," he said, reaching into his back pocket as he pulled out the walkie talkie he took as well. "Think its a normal walkie talkie?" he asked as he looked it over, accidentally pressing a button.

After a little white noise, the walkie talkie seemed to right itself. Music suddenly blared, a radio station pulled into place. "And I dug my key into the side of his, pretty little suped up four wheel drive.."

Alex winced before quickly punching the same button again, trying to turn the thing off.

"Ugh, God, thank you," Hang muttered to herself as she sneered at the walkie-talkie, looking around the gym. I don't know what Victor can do, and Koa's...whatever she's got are too strong for me to break on my own. What kinda goodies have we got in here? Seeing the net, she raised her eyebrows and lifted it, tossing it over her shoulder with relative ease. That'd come in handy later.

"Alright, game plan, chumps. Hostages are in the pool room. I say I head in first, get a feel for what Victor's up to, and then report back," Hang suggested.

Joan nodded when Austin pointed out they probably wouldn't be able to use the net effectively. Maybe it would be effective if a single person could carry it, but as it was, it was probably best to leave it be. She continued poking about for a bit, but decided to stick to the bar for now.

"So, when do you think they're gonna--"

She was interrupted by Alex and Hang appearing out of nowhere behind them, and she jumped back with a yelp, fumbling the bar out from under her arm and gripping it tightly in both hands before she realized it was just them. Letting out a shaky breath, she lowered the exercise bar, shaking her head.

"Trying to make use of some of this stuff," she managed to say before Alex passed her the megaphone. She held it in one hand and looked it over, noting what he said about the blue button. "What exactly does this do? And that doesn't look normal to me...where did you even get these?"

She winced as the music came blaring out of the walkie-talkie. "Great. Just great. How are we supposed to use that?"

Hang started speaking, and when she turned to look, she saw Hang had picked up the net. Oh, good. One of us can use that, at least.

"Um...I was actually thinking it might be smart for Alex to see what's up if he can, or for people to go in pairs? If you think both Victor and Koa are in there, and if you haven't seen Sapphire yet, that's a lot of people to face by yourself, and Alex can go in unseen." She swallowed nervously before continuing. "And it's not the smartest to go in alone against unknowns, right?"

"Problem being, we don't know what Victor does, or what Koa's doing. Alex goes in, and he's not gonna know either, because they're not gonna bite back. He's not going to be able to see Sapphire as it is. I'm pretty sure she can turn invisible," Hang stated dismissively, picking up a lift bar. She made a face as she realized it was way too heavy for her to just swing around. "But if I go in, get 'em to lob a few things my way, and duck back out - well, that's a different story. If plan A fails, send in Alex to see what's up. Or send him with me. Either way, we're just not gonna know what's in there until somebody dips their toe in the water."

"I say send Alex with you, then, because like you said, we don't know what they can do, and while you're the toughest we have, you're not invulnerable." Joan winced slightly as she spoke, but she seemed to be gaining a bit more confidence. "What did you guys see, exactly?"

Before either Alex or Hang could reply to Joan, Austin cut in from where he had been waiting. He might've been predisposed to let other people handle decision making, but his encounter with Christina had embedded a healthy fear of the unknown into his conscious.

"For what it's worth… I-I think Joan's right." He briefly measured Alex and Hang's own features, before directing his eyes downward. "Sending less than two is…" Austin wanted to say stupid, but he caught himself before the words left his mouth. The thought of insulting Hang's ideas to her face did not seem wise after all he had experienced in the last couple of minutes. "It's not that clever. I don't know about you guys, but they've already caught us off-guard today." Austin gestured to the net on Hang's shoulders, and turned to face her directly.

"If we only send one person, there's a bigger chance they'll be incapacitated with some trick, or be ganged up on. If they manage to take out you—which, by the way, I'm definitely not saying they absolutely could—we'd be totally screwed. Seems to me like there's a greater chance someone will be capable of reporting back if there is more than one target for the bad guys to worry about, ya know?"

Austin lifted the medicine ball into the crook of his armpit, and tentatively stepped a little closer to the group. With his free hand, he brushed a mess of sweat-soaked curls from the front of his forehead and did his best to straighten the front of his prematurely-worn sweater. There was no telling what was waiting for them, but the brief period of calm had done wonders to straighten out his nerves.

Hang twisted her lips into a moue of dissatisfaction, but she seemed to concede to his point as she rolled her eyes and said, "Alright, fine - then what - we all just barge in like we're storming the barricades? Or do we have anything else?"

"There are multiple entrances to the pool," Alex remarked. "We could try flanking anyone in the pool. Two sided flank would be plenty; the side that isn't fighting Victor can focus on other enemies, surprise attack, go for the hostages…anything really."

The country music stopped as Alex pressed the button once more. White noise fizzled in again and then cut itself off, the walkie becoming quiet. As Archer let out a string of curse words, cradling his own head, Jace pressed a finger on his earpiece.

"Silas is keeping Archer and I trapped in here. Archer just hit his head and Casey is out cold. He's probably got Christina too." Jace sighed as Archer continued to whine. "Basil's walkie is working perfectly. They're planning on sneaking past you and taking position, possibly flanking. Victor, you might want to set something up. We'll find a way out of here."

Victor smiled, rolling his neck and cracking his knuckles. "We don't want to let this one go too easy," He hummed, slabs of earth popping up in a perfect row, blocking the entrance to the pool and to the bathroom. Alex would be able to phase through these, no doubt, but there were at least five in a row, making it an extremely exhausting endeavor. This action was performed with the utmost ease for Victor, who seemed to even enjoy it. The fight was about to begin.[/hr]

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: Eru and Joan
evan.rowlet/dr.extroardinaire
Despite being stricken with fear at Aaron's sudden attack against the other cellmates, Evan knew he couldn't wait for the same thing to happen twice. They had a chance, suddenly, and it was time to grasp it by the horns.

The others, Patrick and his friend, along with "Dakota", were cast aside mentally as Evan crept forward, ensuring Aaron didn't open his eyes again as he moved to help the downed boy. Leo, wasn't it? "Come on, man, you've got to stay with us here." Evan didn't know how much his own power would help at the moment, though if anything vital had been injured he'd be able to sense it. What mattered most was getting out of this room.

Evan knelt down and began to tug at Leo's body, turning to face the door. "Help me get him out of here," he said to no-one in particular, a peal of urgency in his voice. "We have to leave. We have to leave now."

• Love
Reactions: Joan
Patrick O'Malley

He didn't ignore Dakota and Cassia. At least, not directly; like Cassia, Patrick had taken a moment to recover from the ordeal, and when he tried to push himself up, his arms felt like wet noodles. Let Dakota 'go first'? Hmph; he doubted she was invulnerable to something like that mess was he'd just experienced.

But that didn't matter. His throat screamed for relief, to be granted a cough as his friend had done; he refused it the pleasure. Instead it fueled his anger, the pain a lingering representation of the torture he and Cassia had just experienced. Patrick's concern had shifted. The passageway didn't matter; he shrugged indifferently to his friends' insistence. Instead he got his legs under him and forced them to stop wobbling enough to allow him to stand.

"Yah bastard," he whispered, voice ragged from his uncleared throat and eyes shining golden as his emotions spiked. Fingers clenched into fists at his side; the Irishman could almost imagine Aaron's throat between them. "Yah try tha' shite again on a friend'a mine, an' I'll rip yer goddam heart out."

Evan's plea managed to reach his ear. Patrick spat toward Aaron before turning to help, pausing after a few steps regain his balance before bending down to assist.

@Elle Joyner @Shizuochan @Eru

Lifting Leo
A collaboration with @CloudyBlueDay, @rissa, @Red Thunder, and @Eru
Muttering curses, directed almost exclusively back toward the now silent and reclusive Aaron, Patrick grabbed the other arm of the boy that Evan was trying to lift off the floor.

"Missed what happened, mate." Grunting, the time in the cell leaving him somewhat weak, Paddy wrapped Leo's arm around his shoulder and stood up, following Evan's lead. "We through the door or nah?"

Evan grit his teeth, imitating Patrick's actions to tug the boy up. "We through it, for sure." He cast a quick, terrified glance at Aaron once again. "I can't tell what happened to this one, I can't feel anything weird. I don't know if I can help him. We need to get out."

"Eugh…" Half conscious, Leo's dead weight wavered between Evan and Patrick's grip and fighting against the weight of darkness, opened his eyes, calling groggily out to Mason. His words didn't get far, however, for as soon as he opened his mouth Leo hurled.

Face reddening, Leo groaned slightly, sparing a glance between the two boys who were holding him aloft. "S-sorry 'bout… that…"

Both Parker and Mason hovered around Leo, keeping a watchful eye about their surroundings as Patrick and Evan lifted him up. As the boy stirred Mason jumped to his side nearest Evan, and flinched when he puked. Mason patted his back worriedly and Parker winced, keeping himself at a safe distance. "Hey man, you're alright." Mason mumbled, trying to comfort him as he glanced at Evan. "He probably just drained himself a lot.. don't worry about it. You need.." He sighed. Rest, but none of them were ever gonna get it. "We're getting out of here 'cause of you."

"Aye." His stomach had twisted in sympathy to Leo's predicament, but the bile had fortunately not risen past Paddy's throat. But he did glance down sadly at his now slimy foot, pushing down once more the desire to puke himself. "C'mon; less leave b'fore more shite happens."

Shaking off his foot as best he could manage, the Irishman nodded his head to Evan and advanced toward the open doorway.

Eww…
There wasn't any time to spare for being disgusted, though. Evan resolutely swallowed hard and gave a short nod in return, hefting Leo between the onlookers to the hope of escape.

With surprising coordination, the three eased carefully through the doorway and into the dark beyond it.

Reactions: Red Thunder
Hedieh Redding and Aaron // This Living Room We Call A Home
Collab with @CloudyBlueDay

As others ignored or scorned Aaron after his intimidating outburst, and gathered themselves to venture out of the living room, Hedieh unfolded herself from her chair. She walked towards the others before stopping in front of the couch, facing the exit but addressing Aaron. "You just reminded me of something," she said, quietly enough that anyon other than Aaron would have difficulty making it out. "Something I somehow haven't thought about yet. Just before being brought here - being captured - I hurt someone.

"I don't know if you were paying attention earlier, but I can make myself intangible. Pass through things. I can also make other things intangible. So when they came for me, I made the guy chasing me get stuck in the floor. He hadn't actually attacked me or anything; just chased me. But I crippled him. I didn't think about it at the time, but I crippled him forever. Those legs are useless. They probably had to cut them straight off, in the end. Because of me."

Hedieh gave Aaron a quick glance. "What did it feel like for you, just now? When you hurt Cassia and Patrick?"

He was very still at her approach, only offering an upward glance from where he sat on the plush couch. He was listening, intently, but hardly moved at all, eyes glazed over the same way they always were.

"It's invigorating," He said simply. "Controlling others is more powerful then just my abilities." He leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees. "I've crippled quite a few people. It's very enjoyable."

He glanced off to the side. "Strange question to ask, no?"

"A bit, yeah." Hedieh answered. "Invigorating, huh? I didn't feel a thing. Even know, actually thinking about it, I don't really feel anything. A bit scared, but, uh, only towards the lack of feeling. And not the thing itself. I just don't... care."

Hedieh sighed before continuing, as quiet as before. "Maybe it's because I'm not interested in control. I just want to be left alone. By the world, by everything. And I want the people I care about to be left alone." She glanced at Aaron again. "I care about Cassia, for keeping me company in those cages. For being so... low maintenance, I guess? It's a bit silly, yeah, considering everything. But I guess I've always been kinda quick to latch onto people. Oversharing too, apparently.

"But yeah. Yeah. I care about Cassia. Not about you. And yeah, you're a scary, scary person who laughs at peoples threats. Because you can make shadows real, and who can fight that? But I can stop being real, and I can stop others from being real, so who can touch me, really?"

"You're a little bit confusing." He murmured. "You don't care but you care about her. I'd think you're a liar,"

"If you're threatening me, then you should probably outright say it. I'm not interested in a chat about life." He slightly rolled his eyes, breathing out through his nose. "Do you think shadows affect you at all when you're intangible? Perhaps I should test it." He narrowed his eyes, but his own threat seemed a bit empty.

He leaned back into the couch, looking tired with this conversation.

"I'm confusing myself, a little, but I'm not a liar." There were a few moments of silence before Hedieh gathered herself to join the others. "Maybe it'd be best for everyone if you just stayed behind. It's a trap anyway, right?"

Aaron glanced towards her, eyes half closed with exhaustion. Though he was extremely pale and emaciated, it seemed the use of his powers had taken a toll on him that his weak body couldn't handle. He sunk into the cushions further. "Indeed," He hissed, refusing to admit defeat. "Enjoy your trap."

"Wait," came another voice, Willow rising up from her position in the far corner. "I'll come with you." She glanced awkwardly back at Aaron, who had already closed his eyes. Her look said that she didn't want to be left alone with him.

a few minutes before…
Keeping a wary eye on Aaron, Crow trekked across the room with light steps, kneeling hesitantly beside Cassia and Dakota. Worried eyes danced across both faces, over to Mason and the group surrounding Leo, glinted angrily in the shadow caster's direction, and then stared doubtfully towards the open door.

"I'm not gunna let you go alone, Dakota." Leaning in so only the two of them could hear, "You don't know what the SPME is like. You may be invulnerable, but they can still hit you. Behind my shield you wouldn't be able to. Both of you. We should do it together." .

Nodding firmly, and with perhaps the slightest trace of pride in the other girl, Dakota rose upright, extending a hand to Cassia to help her up as well, "Two heads are better than one? Right? Which means three must be really really great!"

"Really, really great. Really great." Cassia repeated, one hand intertwining with Dakota's, the other pinching the crease of her weary forehead. Her voice was raspy from exasperation, "I owe Patrick, so let's hurry up and lead the way for him and the others. I'll do what I can; which is really not much more than a tea spout."

She rose, eyeing Dakota and Crow alike as if to say 'oh well'.

"I'll take it," Crow mumbled from the corner of her mouth, frowning slightly. Turning her head as she continued towards the door, Crow took a moment to study Aaron and his reaction to Leo's words. As much as she wanted to hate him, he probably had more control over his powers than anyone in the room, and that made his outburst… tolerable.

"I'll take as many offense powers as I can get."

"Then we're settled!" Dakota said, with a general cheerful quality, "Cassia, was it? You should stay behind me and Crow… just in case. Ready?"

"As I'll ever be, Dakota." Cassia intoned as she shuffled backwards, as if in response to the girl's suggestion, "Lead on - and let's not die, yes?"

The words were ominous, but if Dakota noticed at all, it didn't show. The smile remained bright and warm, as she gave one more nod and with a deep, steadying breath, led their trio to the doors. She wasn't an unintelligent person, and she knew the risk that they were taking, but she also knew they were without a doubt doomed if they sat in that room, waiting for a rescue…

"Here we go…" She whispered to herself, and with one more inhale, she crossed the threshold.

Crow kept pace with Dakota and as they walked across the threshold, extended her shield passed her own skin, forming a protective bubble that shielded herself and those around her.

Forming a Plan
Collab between @Sairento, @Doctor Jax, @Joan, @Radio Jelly, and @CloudyBlueDay
Alex rolled his wrists as he walked towards the swimming pool door. "I'll poke my head in first then," he mumbled, taking a moment to shift before he lo-

"Why is it still dark?" he thought with a frown, leaning back and shifting back to his human form. "One moment," he grumbled, shifting again before he tried floating through and above the doors. "Well…shit…"

"Victor's blocked the doors with walls," he said, appearing next to the group again.

"Fantastic," Hang drawled.

"Wait, what?" Joan frowned and moved forward, pulling the door open. She was greeted by a solid wall of earth, and she took a quick step back, closing the door again.

"Right. At least we know what his power is now. That's more than we knew earlier." She turned around, biting her lip as she tried to think. "Alex, Hang, are you going to be able to get through that, and more importantly, are you going to be able to get us through that?" She glanced down at the megaphone, adding, "I'm still not entirely sure what this does, but it's a weapon, yeah? Could it help, maybe?"

"If you press the red button, but you'd have to go against Big Daddy up there," Hang reminded callously, jerking a thumb at the ceiling. "Honestly, we need a different entry point. Is there another wall next to the pool we can get to?"

"Or, I could use my powers and just launch everyone in," Alex offered.

"Well, what does it do?" Joan started to ask, but Alex's casual comment threw her off-guard. "Wait, what? How?"

"What did you think happens if I try to materialise in a wall?" Alex said. "I tried it before in my free time. Got shoved out of the way really hard. So yeah, I think I could just launch everyone in. It'd be disorienting, but I could."

"I'm game, honestly," Hang said, cracking her fingers and her neck at the same time. "Maybe let me take a peek or something…. Wait, I'm not going to end up stuck halfway through a wall am I?"

"Probably not. My clothes didn't get stuck when I tried materialising in a wall."

Hang squinted at him, but nevertheless she rolled her shoulders in assent, deciding that it'd be worth the risk. There was also the fact that she was fairly sure the chumps around here weren't about to kill her - and if she did get stuck, her panicking would probably be enough to bust her back out of the rock…
Austin had few of the same assurances. Somewhere at the periphery of the group, he was still trying to process what exactly Alex was suggesting. It wasn't that he had misheard his teammate, but just that if there was an alternative to catapulting them directly into Victor, he was going to do his damndest to find it.

Okay, think. T-two doors, uh… both blocked. Walls. Lots of walls.

Austin's shoulders slumped a little, his eyes desperately scanning the room for a miracle tool they could use to breakthrough, or a previously unseen passage. As the last vestiges of hope withered away, Austin closed his eyes, and tried hard to take a deep breath despite the quivering feeling in his stomach.

Shit.

"Okay. Yeah. Sure. D-definitely." Austin carefully punctuated each word, trying hard to sound convincing if only for his own sake. It was a difficult thing to do when he could barely hear his voice over the sound of his incessant heartbeat. Still, he gritted his teeth, and took another deep breath to try and steady his nerves.

"Gotta go in anyway, right?" He turned to Alex, the dread perfectly visible in his expression, and took a long look at the boy. "J-just, like, try to be quick about it, yeah? Not exactly looking forward to the ride."

Joan nearly made a comment about the risk Alex had taken trying something like that, but after a moment's consideration, she closed her mouth again. Exploring the limits of their powers was a good idea, even if it did involve taking some risks. Hopefully he had at least had some kind of plan if he had gotten stuck, but it wasn't exactly relevant anymore, was it?

"Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. But Alex, if we're relying on you to get us through the wall, you need to stay out of harm's way, or we need a plan on how to get back through if you get taken out. Otherwise, if you get knocked out or stopped or something, we'll be stuck, and that'll be the end of it for us."

Alex shrugged. "I can stay out of the fight, I don't want to get knocked out. If I get knocked out…hmm…I think Hang can break the walls if we need her to," he replied, motioning for Hang to come over. "You wanted to peek, right? Come on," he said, grabbing her arm and floating them through the door, letting her glance about for as long as he could manage before floating them back. "So, any plans before I start launching you guys through?" he asked, taking a deep breath.

The room was simple. A pool took up the large part of it, glimmering and blue with some strange lavender tints and silhouettes beneath the surface. Victor stood at the edge of the pool facing the door, waiting patiently behind his rows of earth, the tile splintered where he had brought them up. One finger on his chin, Victor hummed under his breath, and then began to whistle. "You're taking a little while," He insisted. "It's already been long enough, I'm itching to dance!" He was gently calm, and his words not meant as boastful. Victor seemed genuinely excited.

Hang digested what she had seen, pacing across the floor. Hearing Victor call out with that whistle was also making her itch for a fight. Five walls, one after the other. With about a foot of space in between.

"Look, he's got walls, like five of 'em, one after the other, foot of space in between, and he's standing in front of the pool. I say we hold hands, Alex pulls us behind the very last wall, and I climb over the wall to deal with Victor. While I'm busy with him, Alex, you can pull them the rest of the way out, head to the back side of the pool. If you've got an opening, blast 'im with Basil's...whatever that is. What's Silas up to? Still busy with the tacky trio?" Hang asked, cracking her knuckles and neck.

As Hang spoke, Austin wordlessly nodded in agreement. The thought of taking another step towards the exercise's eventual end was appealing when juxtaposed against spending another moment trying to strategize. Win or lose, the whole ordeal was wearing on his nerves, and the longer they spent going back and forth, the more he began worrying about the unknown.

"He's, uh, still handling Christina and the others. Doubt we'll be seeing him soon. So… we doing this?"

Joan also nodded. Their plan was by no means perfect, but it was probably the best they were going to manage right now.

"Yeah, I think we're good. Just be careful, yeah?"

"Problem. Immediate problem," Alex said quickly, interjecting their planning. "I can't carry so many people at once. Too heavy. One at a time?"[/hr]

THE CELLS

As those in the furnished room made their way through the door, only one person was left behind. Aaron watched lifelessly as they entered, in their chosen groups. He let out a long sigh as his eyes fluttered closed. "I tried to warn you," he murmured, allowing darkness to envelop him fully.

Crow, Cassia, and Dakota entered first. The room was dark.. Dark enough to where they couldn't see ahead, couldn't see an end. The room was stainless, the ground made a beautifully clean metals. There were echoes against every footstep, making the new territory seem incredible spacious, despite the inability to see the length of it.

As Patrick and Evan hauled Leo, Mason and Parker trailed behind, filled with uncertainty."This feels wrong." Mason whispered, to which Parker nodded furiously in agreement. "Let's go back. Leo's barely awake.. We should go once we know it's safe."

And finally came Hedieh and Willow. With hunched shoulders and sunken in eyes the red head gazed about, a shiver falling down her spine. "Should've taken Aaron." She mumbled to Hedieh. "He's powerful. They're scared of him."

But as each group voiced their concerns, it was too late. Dividing the room into three, partitions slid out from the wall at an alarming speed, meeting in the center, separating each group. The partitions were clear, allowing each person to stare at those they had been separated from with shock. Willow jumped to move through one before it closed, to gain some sort of control, but reached it too late.

There were more mechanical whirs, ones that started out familiar and morphed into a sound much more menacing.

The water came first. Pouring down through the first partition onto Cassia, Dakota and Crow, gushing from the ceiling with a sudden burst. There was silence in the other two partitions as the water pooled at their feet, soaking the hospital gowns as it threatened to rise all the way to the ceiling.

"HEY!" Mason cried, banging his fists upon the partition. He feared that their own little slice of hell wouldn't be silent long, and geared up to ram himself into it shoulder first. Parker found himself frozen with horror, and only when Mason reared into the partition did he jump five feet in the air. His attempt was no use, however, and he stumbled back, clutching his shoulder with a hiss.

"Hold on!" Parker cried to the girls on the other side. "We'll get you--"

His cry was cut short when the ceiling opened above them. Sand fell down on the group of boys, pouring in the same way as the water was doing. Both Mason and Parker were caught entirely off guard, sand catching them in the eyes and the throat and making them cough. It came in enormous amounts covered the ground quickl

And last but not least came Heideh and Willow. Willow had already begun to panic, throwing a kick at the door but bouncing back helplessly. Next she tried her powers, eyes glimmering dark purple as the glittering portal spring to life. But it's brother only appeared behind them, and Willow let out a string of curse words. "They're toying with us," She croaked. "It's gonna hu—"

The whirring within their partition grew as the walls on the side of the partition began rumble, and then push inwards on the two, threatening to crush them flat.

Meanwhile, Aaron snoozed peacefully.

@Red Thunder @HerziQuerzi @Shizuochan @Elle Joyner @rissa @Eru

⌽​

THE PROTECTORS BASE

Alex carried the rest of his team through the rows, leaving them to hide until they felt it time to launch their attack. Victor continued his whistling, and allowed the ground beneath him to rise up, bringing him to the very top of the ceiling, where he looked down on all four of them cowering behind the walls he created.

"I suppose that was a bit of a rough start for you," He said, and with a whisk of his hands the walls came down, leaving them exposed. "Let me make it a bit more even." Now the walls rose again, this time spread out evenly among the room, surrounding the pool, allowing ample cover for when they needed it.

"I know you won't like to hear it, but I'm not meant to be so hard on you." He said as another podium rose, and he stepped over to it. "I haven't participated in an exercise in a while, however. I may be a bit rusty. I shouldn't underestimate you." He smiled. "New metas are always so unpredictable.

Anyway, we should get on with it. Darius must be out of popcorn by now. The hostages," He announced, bringing up two fingers for quotation marks, "Are in the pool. Go on ahead. I will wait." And with that, he sat cross legged on the pedestal that he had brought up, beaming down at them.

@Doctor Jax @Radio Jelly @Sairento @Joan

oh my french fry
I will be PMing someone shortly about breaking the partition. who's it gunna be

When the partition slammed against the wall, Dakota spun back around with a yelp. Whatever she had expected, and she had a number of terrifying thoughts revolve through her mind in those few seconds of wandering down the dark hall, she had certainly not been ready for anything quite like this. Her hand smacked hard against the glass like surface that surrounded them and panic took hold like a vice. There were so many... so many ways it could have gone, but closed in like a hamster in a cage wasn't something she could prevent, it wasn't anything she could protect them from...

The whirring continued, staggering loud, and suddenly, the ceiling opened overhead. Like a torrent, water poured down over them, with bruising pounding pressure. In seconds, her feet were swallowed up in the pool and Dakota backed into the corner of the glass box as it climbed higher and higher, rapidly. Guns. Knives. Acid... Anything but this. Anything. Hot tears mingled with the frigid water and Dakota's eyes snapped to the box beside their own, to Mason and Parker, whose voices she could barely make out, muffled through their partition.

"I can't swim!" She screamed back, pounding on the glass again before looking behind her to Crow and Cassia, shaking her head with a desperate whimper, "I can't swim!"

And then with more whirring, the second partition opened and the sand started to fall, and every thought of her own self preservation fled as she slammed her palms harder against the partition, willing it to crack, to break, to give even in the slighest, "No! NO!"

She'd gone first to help them. She'd gone first to help them all. And now they were going to die...

Cassia Muninn - Bitches Need Swimmin' Lessons

"Oh, fu-."

A sharp, involuntary gasp perished that particular sentiment, stillborn amidst the frigid chill that cascaded down upon her. Cassia remembered this, somewhere deep inside of her, the agitation, the fear, and the cold. Remembered the sensation of a ship capsizing, and the sound of her shipping crate prison crashing against the metal walls. Remembered the brief flicker of white light as the door inexplicably opened, before allowing the ravenous waters to course within.

Remembered a storm.

"... St-stop that," Cass addressed Dakota in an almost nervous tone, latent fear swirled against something nearing bashful annoyance. The plucky girl was frightened, and while it was hardly the time to muse over such matters, Cassia wondered if drowning was an exception to Dakota's 'can't hurt me' clause, the water her anathema.

Convenient, if one were a sadistic overseer. Deliberate, even. A descriptor that held true, she imagined, even in her case. An exhibit of various powers and capabilities, pushed to their brink. Yes, she remembered the storm - the waves that had downed that damned vessel; that had been her, hadn't it? They had seen it, hadn't they? The reason she had been amongst the taken.

Why am I thinking about this?

She bent, ever so slightly, both ducking her head against the oncoming torrent, and allowing her hands to submerge in the rapidly rising pool of water. If Aaron's words were true, there was naught to do but play the game, as wrong as the scientists must have been. She couldn't recreate that night, that storm - she hadn't been able to do anything close.

She eyed Patrick through the glass, and knew that she had to try, nonetheless. The boy would probably use his power - escape his predicament. And her cell-mate, Hedieh, she'd be able to pass through, wouldn't she? She'd have to play her part - play to the curriculum established by those who played God.

The water around her hands bubbled listlessly, impotently, but even so - even amidst Dakota's yells, even despite her own doubt - Cassia chuckled.

She remembered the storm subsiding. This would, too. One way or the other.