DO YOU BELIEVE IN ROMANCE IN REAL LIFE?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

firejay1

The Phoenix
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
  2. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
  6. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
My times are pretty erratic, but I try to avoid being on EST 11pm-9am.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Historical Romance.
So, I was talking to a few people the other day, and basically told them, I don't really believe in romance existing in real life. I believe in love. I'm married, and love my husband very much, but I wouldn't say we're "romantic," primarily because I've never felt "swept away by butterfly emotions" around my husband, the way you see it in the movies or books. I think he's cute and I like spending time around him, and when we have problems we talk them through because that's how I believe a relationship is going to be sustained. On the other hand, my friends who have seen me WITH my husband were like, "what are you talking about? You guys are super grossly romantic." xD

So do you believe romance exists in real life? How would YOU define romance? Have you ever "fallen in love?" (I laughed when my husband told me he was "in love" with me, because it just seemed so bizarrely wrong to me.) What is it that makes a romantic relationship special compared to other relationships with people you love?

• Haha
Reactions: rissa and Nemopedia
I DO NOT do romance in real life. I find it absolutely ridiculous, weird, awkward, insincere, strange, and pointless.

WHICH IS REALLY FUNNY BECAUSE IN ROLEPLAY IT IS MY BREAD AND BUTTER. MY CANDY, MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE THING IN THE WORLD.

I have tried to do and get into the whole romance thing in real life, cause I love it so much in my content, so why wouldn't I want it for real? But it turns out a lot of "social things" I just can't seem to do. 😂 I realize NOW it's because I am both autistic and a bit grey asexual and I am just not processing things the same way as the majority, so I don't experience those feelings quite the way it is "expected". I absolutely feel love deeply, but it just looks different.

I DO NOT do romance in real life. I find it absolutely ridiculous, weird, awkward, insincere, strange, and pointless.

WHICH IS REALLY FUNNY BECAUSE IN ROLEPLAY IT IS MY BREAD AND BUTTER. MY CANDY, MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE THING IN THE WORLD.

I have tried to do and get into the whole romance thing in real life, cause I love it so much in my content, so why wouldn't I want it for real? But it turns out a lot of "social things" I just can't seem to do. 😂 I realize NOW it's because I am both autistic and a bit grey asexual and I am just not processing things the same way as the majority, so I don't experience those feelings quite the way it is "expected". I absolutely feel love deeply, but it just looks different.
I'm absolutely the same way. Feel love deeply, but the whole heart-throb, eyes shining thing has always seemed nonsensical to me. Like, sunrises don't look more beautiful to me if I'm sharing them with my husband or anything. Until I was about 15, I thought it was a thing no one ACTUALLY believed existed, lol, and I definitely have never bothered to actually try it IRL. BUT WRITING AND READING ROMANCE ARE MY FAVE. COMPLETE CANDY.

I don't really know what I believe in, I find being all romantic and cutesy and shit really weird and always makes me panic and run from the conversation. The first guy that said he loved me I literally fell out of my chair while trying to back away from him because I panicked

I would like to believe in romance, growing up wathcing Disney and other romance movies I like to have hope romance exists. I feel like it exists in the sense of certain acts of love or affection are romantic. I do see alot of overlap in doing things out of love being romantic. Like when I was dating I always liked to do small little gifts to show my affection and I consider those gifts to be romantic. But it's just weird, lots of overlap, gray areas and just confusing. I just avoid thinking about it 😂

I MAINTAIN THAT I COULD SEE THE GLITTER AND ANIME HEARTS FLY OFF YOU GUYS. HAD TO TURN MY FACE AWAY BUT WILL BRING SUNGLASSES THE NEXT TIME. NECESSARY EQUIPMENT.

'Romance' is mostly what people want to see, I believe. It is sorta how an interview can feel like flirting and dating like sitting for an interview for a new job. Though you wouldn't call an interview a 'romance' because that's creepy. You feel a need to present the best side of yourself and convince the other that you are totally worth the time and the(ir) type for the next step.

In a way you could say I don't believe in 'romance', it is what we choose to interpret ourselves. Public displays of 'romantic' gestures also really depend for me. Will I make eye-contact, smile lots and tilt my head to the side, the silent flirty moves? I can do that, even with strangers. Kissing faces in public? Heck. No.

• Haha
Reactions: firejay1
Romance is defined as "a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love." Which is an element in my marriage, so... I would say yes, I believe in it. That is my definition of actual romance. "Romance" as a genre in our fictions is different to me. They make it all unrealistically sparkly and ooey-gooey in ways that are meant to entertain us. >.>

im a hopeless romantic that will also beat tf out of you 😩