Forging New Paths

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Evelyn only made a soft, considering hum at first, smiling a little to herself as she blew on her hot chocolate. "Very thoughtful of you. I'll have to keep it in mind." It seemed like he was always thinking of ways to protect Luca. They had that in common, at least.

"Fireworks. . ." Luca said softly to himself, holding his mug in both hands and staring into the middle distance near his knees. He was sure he had seen fireworks before, even if he tried not to think of them. They were big and loud, but pretty. He wasn't sure if he liked them or not, not anymore. Seeing them in pictures was nice, sometimes.

"Mhm. Fireworks," Garrett echoed to Luca. "They're loud, colorful explosions in the sky that have lots of light and different designs. They can be fun, but sometimes they're a little overwhelming."

His phone buzzed, and he slipped it out to read through a message. ". . . Oh. It's from Anthony. He wants to know if he can call us for a few minutes. There's a dog barking outside and he's looking for a distraction so he won't be scared. You all mind if we calm him?" he asked with a smile.

If the group said yes - and they probably would - Garrett rang Anthony and greeted him when he picked up the phone. "Hey, kiddo. Glad to hear from you. What would you like to talk about?"

Anthony sighed in relief. "H - hi, Garrett. Hey, Luca. Hi, Evelyn. Um - " Watson meowed, coaxing a shaky laugh out of Anthony. "Hey, Watson. Uh, what are you all doing right now?" he asked.

Luca nodded a little, not stopping Garrett from explaining even though he'd been pretty sure he knew what they were. Big spheres of flying lights, like stars exploding out into space. They were pretty, but very loud. He didn't remember if they were loud enough to hurt his ears.

"Of course." Evelyn answered easily, a bit of worry in her expression. "Poor thing."

The thought of Anthony being scared made Luca frown, and hearing his friend's voice had his brow creasing in worry. "Anthony. . ." He was scared, right? How were they supposed to fix that? He could only look at Garrett and Evelyn on either side of him, thinking they might know what to do.

"Sitting outside, having a hot drink," Evelyn answered, raising her voice just enough for the microphone to catch it. "What about you? Got a good blanket to wrap up in? Some headphones to wear?" She thought for a moment as they waited for him to respond, and after a pause reached for her phone to send Garrett a text so he could see it on the screen without Anthony knowing. Do you think he needs company? What do you think about picking him up and bringing him here? She didn't want to uproot Luca just then, or take him to where the barking dogs were, but if Garrett felt like going to get Anthony they weren't likely to get to bed early anyway.

It didn't take long for Anthony to pick up both Evelyn's and Luca's voices as well. He smiled shakily and nodded. "Sounds fun. Nice weather out there. Uh, yeah, I'm buried in a blanket right now - oh! Headphones! Great idea, Evelyn. Thanks."

There was some rustling, and he returned to the phone. "All right, got 'em! I'll pop these in after you guys hang up. I'm . . . I'm sure the dog will be done in a little bit." And he knew Luca was scared of dogs, too. "Actually - can you guys hear the dog through the speaker? D - do you need me to hang up?"

He must have read the text wrong. Garrett scanned it several times with a clearly puzzled look on his face. No, that couldn't be right. Evelyn, I think your spellcheck changed something. Your text mentioned picking him up and bringing him here. But that's a good idea, picking him up and bringing him somewhere else if the dog doesn't quit soon. You sure Luca will be okay if I'm out with Anthony for a bit?

"Music." Luca confirmed with a little nod, frowning still at the shake in Anthony's voice. His fingers flexed, wanting to hold his friends hand and help him feel better. "Loud music is okay." Only sometimes, and only so loud, but sometimes it was okay.

"No, Anthony, it's all right," Evelyn said gently even as she gave Garrett an almost exasperated look. "We can't hear anything, I promise. Do you have your Ferris wheel light on? Maybe a movie to watch?"

Spellcheck doesn't correct me. She sent to Garrett, making a show of holding her phone up between two fingers so he could see her sending the next text without touching the keyboard. I mean it, Garrett. Bring him here. It might do them good to be together.

"Oh! Music. Good idea, Luca. Thanks," Anthony murmured. He let out a deeper breath, slowly but surely starting to relax. And when Evelyn assured him they couldn't hear the dog, he relaxed further and nodded. "Okay, great. Um . . . yeah. I've got my Ferris Wheel on. A movie's a good idea, too. Thanks."

He took another breath. "And it sounds like the dog's j - just about done. Thank you guys for letting me call you. Have a good night, okay?"

Garrett's eyebrows nearly rose off his head. They weren't at the office, or even his apartment. This was Evelyn's home. Their one safe space that hadn't been seen by anyone besides the three of them and Watson. The one place it had been drilled into Garrett's mind never to bring anyone, even Anthony. Should I ask Luca first? I know how important it is keeping this a safe space, he texted carefully.

"Anthony . . ." Luca said softly, enough worry showing in his voice still to compel him even to reach a hand towards Garrett's phone like he might pull it closer. "Talking is okay. . ." If he hung up and was all by himself again, wouldn't he be more scared? Luca wasn't so used to talking, and he'd already done so much of it today his throat hurt and he never wanted to do it again, but he didn't want Anthony to be scared.

It's okay. Evelyn sent with a little shake of her head, her expression gentle but determined. As long as he only ever comes with one of us, so we know he isn't followed. It will be fine. He needs us, too.

"Luca?" She asked, touching his arm gently to get his attention. "Would it be okay for Anthony to come spend the night here? Is that too many people?"

Luca sat up a little straighter, eyes suddenly more alert at the idea. "He can come?" Then everyone would be together. He'd liked it when they slept next to each other in the tent. It would mean more talking, probably, which he didn't like to think about, but if everyone was together then no one would be afraid. He didn't want Anthony to be afraid.

Anthony paused for a moment. "Oh. Well, I . . . hm. I - I guess if you all don't mind too much . . .?" Luca sounded upset he might hang up, so he felt compelled to stay on the line. And maybe he wanted to talk a little bit more, too. He took a breath. "So, um, did you all have a fun day? What'd you guys do?"

Garrett swallowed the lump in his throat. It was risky. But clearly Evelyn trusted him enough to bring Anthony over without a tail, and she must have decided she trusted Anthony, too. Okay. As long as you're sure. he texted back.

He nodded to Luca and smiled a bit. "Yes. He can come. It'll be kind of like the sleepover, but - quieter."

Anthony tilted his head on the other end of the line. "Wait, where are you guys right now?" It couldn't Evelyn's house. She would never -

"We're at Evelyn's house. You want to come over?" Garrett asked with a grin.

". . . What?" Anthony stammered.

It was time, Evelyn thought. She had resisted the thought of having someone else in her life that she would depend on or that would depend on her that even having Garrett and Luca around had been a major adjustment, but it was time to stop holding everyone at arms length. Even if it was difficult for her, she knew that Garrett knew what he was doing and would do anything to protect them, and she knew that Anthony would never willingly hurt them. His Lombardi cellphone was gone, and his family didn't have any contact with him. If something happened, it wasn't going to be his fault.

"We're already going to have to pull out the couch," Evelyn said for Anthony to hear, shrugging a bit to herself and looking at Garrett as she spoke. "You may as well come and join us. It'll be easier to tell you about our day in person."

Luca only nodded along as if Anthony could see him, taking a careful drink of his hot cocoa and only just beginning to put two and two together that it would mean Garrett was leaving after all. It made his chest feel a little tight, but he just tried to tell himself that Garrett would be back soon. He would go get scared Anthony, and then they would be together and everyone would be safe again. The dogs that lived nearby weren't very loud, so it was safe for Anthony to come and spend the night.

Anthony brushed his curly hair out of his eyes and went silent for a moment, staring at the phone. Evelyn finally trusted him enough to invite him over to her house. He couldn't let her down. From what Garrett had told him, he'd have to be extra careful to keep his messes clean. But it would be worth it.

He'd be safe. He'd be with his friends and away from the dogs.

So finally he let out a shaky breath and nodded. "Okay. Um . . . yeah. I'll come over. Th - thanks."

Garrett smiled, first at Evelyn and then at the phone. He wasn't sure what had brought on the monumental decision, but he was glad for it. "Marvelous. I'll be there to pick you up soon. Would you like to stay on the line until I get there?"

"Y - yes, please," Anthony said softly.

"Right. Luca? Evelyn? Do you two need anything before I go get Anthony?" Garrett asked gently.

It wasn't an easy decision, but it had been long enough. If she didn't let Anthony come to be with them, she would only feel guilty for keeping Garrett from him. Even if his family had been horrible, she knew it must be awful to be so alone.

"We're all right," she reassured, putting a hand gently on Luca's arm to reassure him. "It won't take so very long or you to come back."

Luca was frowning a little, unable to hide how he didn't like the idea of Garrett leaving but not wanting to let Anthony keep being scared. He only nodded and focused on his drink and Watson instead. It would be okay. They would all be together soon, so it would be okay.

Garrett took a breath and patted Luca's shoulder, and then Evelyn's. "All right. I'll be back shortly. And I'll leave Watson with you. He looks quite comfortable where he is," he added softly. He put his hat on, adjusted his trench coat, and turned to head off - but he paused again. "And Evelyn . . . thank you for sharing your home with us. It means more than you'll ever know."

Then he tipped his hat and left.

It was around half an hour later that he came back and parked the car. He led Anthony to the backyard, hoping the group was still outside, and ruffled Anthony's hair. ". . . Don't you worry. We can share the pullout couch. Plenty big enough. And you can put your backpack on top of my spare suitcase in the closet. Should be plenty of room."

Anthony hesitantly slunk into the backyard, glancing around to make sure he wasn't stepping anywhere he wasn't supposed to. Then he spotted Evelyn and Luca and smiled shyly. "H - hey, guys. Um . . . thanks for letting me spend the night."

Evelyn gave Garrett a sort of amused, questioning look when he patted her shoulder like he had Luca's, but let it go without comment. She might have said something about keeping Watson out of trouble, but his next words struck her silent, a faint flush spreading across her cheeks.

"Drive safely," was all she could manage, rather than acknowledging that it was something 'big', letting anyone come to a space that had once been just hers. It was too much to say it out loud just then.

By the time they returned, Luca had repositioned, lying on his back with his head in Evelyn's lap and Watson lying atop him. She was petting idly at his hair, but looked towards the side yard as they came around the corner with a small smile in her face.

"Welcome, welcome," She said gently for him, laughing softly when Luca tried to tip his head back far enough to see them upside down. "I'm just glad you could come. I promised Luca we would stay out until you came. Do you want to sit with us for a while, or would you rather get ready for bed?" It was all right to stay up a little late, to make sure everyone was okay.

Anthony relaxed by degrees when Evelyn was not only the first to greet him, but did so with a smile on her face. He let out a breath and held up his backpack. "I'd love to come sit outside for a bit. Um - let me just put this on top of Garrett's suitcase real quick."

"Of course. Right this way, kiddo. Oh! Anyone need a cocoa refill while we're in there?" Garrett added. He was already going to make one for Anthony, but he figured Evelyn or Luca might want seconds.

The pair soon returned with a few fresh drinks and an extra blanket. Garrett sat down first, right next to Luca in case he wanted more hugs. Then he patted the blanket next to him.

Anthony wrapped the spare blanket over his shoulders and sank down, snuggling up against Garrett with a smile. He took a sip of his cocoa and glanced over at Evelyn and Luca. "So, um - are you guys stargazing? Or just listening?"

"Remember to wipe your feet on the mat," Evelyn advised lightly as they walked to the back door, waving off Garrett's offer of hot cocoa. "I think we're all right, thank you." If they drank any more, she was certain they would both have to get out of bed in the middle of the night.

Evelyn shifted Luca around to make more room while the others were busy, getting him to lie out on the blanket the long way and turning her own body to accommodate. It put her next to Garrett when he came back, sitting somewhat sideways compared to him to accommodate the way Luca wanted to use her as a pillow.

Luca pointed up at the sky when Anthony asked. "Finding pictures."

Some were real constellations, Evelyn was sure, but she suspected the rest of what he was looking for were things he and his father had made up years and years ago. She didn't want to bring it up when they were having a good night.

"And enjoying the quiet," she added instead. "But if the cricket I hear over there touches my foot I will be inside faster than you can say andromeda."

"Oh! Right. Right," Anthony stammered, making extra sure to wipe his feet thoroughly when he went in.

He and Garrett quickly settled in once they were back outside, though. And Luca's answer about the stars seemed to put Anthony even more at ease. He smiled and followed the young man's gaze up to the sky. "Pictures," he echoed softly. "I like that. It's like constellations . . . but you get to pick what you see. Neat."

Then he chuckled when Evelyn mentioned running inside if a cricket touched her. "That's fair. Uh - what's an andromeda?"

Garrett smiled. "It's a galaxy. Pretty close to the Milky Way, if I remember right. Kind of like our space neighbor."

"Oh! Neat!" Anthony replied. He moved onto his back and tucked his arms under his head. "Let's see, what pictures are up there . . . Ooh! I see an elephant!" he announced, pointing. "Luca, what do you see?"

Garrett held his breath. Luca had already done so much talking that day. But maybe Anthony could coax him into a little more with a positive experience like stargazing.

Evelyn couldn't help but smile at Garrett's explanation, the expression soft and affectionate, one hand playing idly with Luca's hair. "Space neighbors. Very cute."

It had make Luca smile a little, at least, and for that she was grateful. Now that everyone was back together and he'd gotten to spend a while being very quiet, he was starting to seem more at ease.

Luca made a soft, thoughtful hum when Anthony asked what he saw, holding a hand up above his head and spreading his fingers here and there as if to put a frame around what he was seeing. ". . . Octopus." He said finally, following wiggling lines of stars that only he could see. They were all too far away from him and too close to each other, or he would have tried to point to where he saw it.

Anthony smiled more, too, and tried to look where Luca was looking. "An octopus? Fun! Like the one we saw at the aquarium!" he pointed out. "Ooh, you know what would be cool? A space aquarium, with space themed fish!"

"What are space themed fish?" Garrett asked with a chuckle.

"You know! Star fish. Um . . . actually, that's the only one I know," Anthony admitted, giggling. "Luca, do you know any space themed fish?"

Garrett smiled and watched the pair interact. Sure enough, Anthony was at least getting one-word answers from Luca, and Luca didn't seem terribly stressed about talking, which was fantastic. He tried to meet Evelyn's eyes and nod subtly to her, and then he texted her as well.

[They both seem a lot calmer. This was a great idea,] he told her. [How long should we give them outside? Maybe five more minutes?]

"Space aquarium. . ." Luca repeated softly to himself, a bit starry-eyed at the very idea. Somewhere to see space through little windows, up close like he was there.

"Space fish." Evelyn chuckled to herself with a little shake of her head. "Haven't you heard of the legendary space whale, Anthony? Flying through the stars, singing the song of its people." She could feel Luca looking up at her now instead of the stars, warm amusement in his eyes. It was rare that she said silly things. "It's really quite famous, I'm surprised you haven't heard. Here, I'll find you a picture."

Five or six, she sent back even as she picked up her phone to look for the art in question. Just some time to wind down before bed.

"Ah, here it is."

IMG_3380.jpeg

"No, I haven't," Anthony replied, his eyes going wide as he turned to give Evelyn his full attention. "What does it look like?" He watched her scroll through her phone eagerly, even scooting a little closer to try and sneak a peek. Then he saw the actual picture.

He burst out laughing and all but collapsed on the spot, leaning against Garrett so he didn't fall over. "Oh! I love him!" he stammered. "L - look at his silly face!"

Garrett chuckled at both the picture and Anthony's warm laughter. It been a while since he'd heard it last. <Better make it ten minutes. I think you've given Anthony a case of the giggles. :) > he texted Evelyn.

Eventually, Anthony's laughter subsided, and he smiled and wiped his eyes. "Ohhh my goodness. Thanks, Evelyn. I needed that." He yawned a bit and stretched. "Should we all start heading in? It's starting to get chilly," he pointed out.