Gentle Smiles, Sharp Fangs (Peregrine x Baddamobs)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
As silence drifted over the duo once more, no disturbance but the regular rhythm of the Vekan's hooves and the rustle of the late evening breeze, Mari allowed herself to lean back against the wagon's seat. Her eyes slowly drifted closed as she took a slow, deep breath.

The night air was crisp and filled with the smell of grass, soil, and the faint, sharp smell of the lake. Mariellen could feel exhaustion weighing on her shoulders, even though her mind still felt wide awake.

It had… been a long day. A long day full of so many new things. And there would be many, many more new things in her future. Her hand dropped to her side, unconsciously squeezing the fake package that was still tied to her hip. If only her journey was as simple as heading to the Sacred Mountain and then going back home.

Time seemed to fade into a blur, and the next thing Mari knew her eyes flew open as the wagon jolted off the side of the road. She reflexively gripped the railing, trying to stabilize herself. Only a moment later, the Vekans came to a halt, heads tossing, causing the reins to jingle slightly as the metal pieces clinked against each other.

Mari straightened her legs before hopping off the edge of the wagon, turning to look at the clearing around them with her hands lightly resting on her hips. It wasn't much, a little nook in the railing of the nearby field. The tall grass had been trampled down from the passage of countless wheels, and a ring of rocks filled with charcoal rested a dozen meters away from the road. Clearly they weren't the first person to spend the night here.

Ciava's words brought Mari back into focus, and she couldn't help but widen her eyes slightly. "I… uhh… must confess I hadn't really thought about it," Mari admitted, her shoulders shrugging slightly.

They hadn't had maids in the temple, the position unsuited for life in the temple, but Mari had still grown used to having priests there to help her pick out her clothes, to prepare her bath water, lay out her meals and clean up the dishes afterwards.

'No one to do that now.'

"I'm fine with sleeping outside, but I do expect privacy when I'm getting changed," Mari replied, rather calmly, before a thought brought her pause. "I assume you did think to prepare a change of clothes for me, yes?"

It was honestly a rather presumptuous assumption, but, well, she wasn't going to admit that. She had said that Ciava was responsible for preparing everything, after all.

Trying not to think about the countless complications that could arise on a trip like this, Mari moved away from the wagon, settling into a kneeling position in front of the old fire ring. She didn't pay attention to the fact that dirt or plant matter might stain her clothes. Instead, her head dropped slightly as she clasped her hands in front of her heart.

For now, she would leave all those trivial concerns aside.

"Oh Mother Above, your Children have set out on our journey, leaving behind the safety of our refuge for the wild lands. But we know we are safe, for no place in this world is without Your gaze. Please watch over us on this night. Keep us safe and warm and dry so that we may find solace through any circumstance."

A faint flicker of light appeared in the firepit in front of Mari. It glowed sourcelessly, before a tiny, vividly golden flame suddenly appeared. It licked blindly through the air, seeming to reach for the young lady, dancing in merriment alongside her words.

"Under Your eyes, we are safe from danger. With Your words in our heart, we can be strong even in our moments of greatest weakness. My heart, my mind, and my body, belong to You. Blessed be your Children, for You dwell within us all. Faith, trust, and truth. Goodnight, Mother."

As Mari finished her prayer, the golden flame pulsed, sending an illusory dome over the little clearing. As though comforted, the two Vekan both let out deep sighs. Mari, too, felt something warm settle into her heart. The barrier faded from visibility, but she could still feel its presence deep inside her chest. As though confirming that faith, the little golden flame continued to glow sweetly.

• Love
Reactions: Baddamobs
"Ah, I am many things, Miss Mari, but thankfully well prepared IS one of them." Ciava chortled a little as she finally finished brushing down the Vekan horses, giving one of them an affection pat on the flank as she turned and tapped a finger against her chin. "Since you never know what you'll need on the road, I made sure to bring a few changes of clothes for every occasion. Well, not EVERY occasion – if we encounter a freak need for ballroom dresses, you'll forgive that being my one blind spot."

Although everything I've packed might, for your tastes, lean a little too far into the area of common… Ciava finished internally, feeling a little conflicted at even having that thought. She held no guilt for the quality of the clothing she had secured; they were all well-made, and formed from good material. They were perfectly practical shirts, coats, trousers, smalls and even a dress or two she had bought along, but there was no doubt that they were 'practical.' Compared to the kind of clothes someone born into fine silk would be used to, they would no doubt seem damningly ill-fitting.

…But, no. That was unfair for Ciava to think. Mari had thus fair been more prepared to endure the common trials of the road then even some traders Ciava had met. It was a poor stance to think Mari would be some pouting noble brat, who would complain of the inevitabilities of a long journey, when it was clear this was an endeavour she was taking seriously.

Ciava had just been on the cusp of offering to get the fire going, as some kind of repentance for her traitorous thoughts, when she saw Mari already kneeling before the long-abandoned pit. Tail flicking with curiosity, Ciava watched as the girl started a prayer.

And then, there was suddenly a resplendent light.

The cait's ears pricked up, and the dark slits in her wide eyes filled with the glowing flame that had sprung into life. It seemed, to Ciava at least, that the light from that flame filled the darkness of the night more completely than a normal flame. Like it chased away more than just the shadows cast by the moon, and filled in the space of the clearing with a warmth that felt strangely familiar.

Even as Ciava stared, almost open mouthed, Mari finished her prayer. Following the last breath of her words, a flowing wave of light pulsed from within the heart of the flame, drifting over the clearing. As it passed over Ciava, she had to blink in surprise from the feeling that it left behind. She couldn't place it for a few seconds, forced to compare it to the feeling that settled in her core when she returned to Oola after a long journey, or when she regaled the kid from the square with stories from the road, or the feeling that she once had to a small house sat in one dusty frontier town…

Contentment. Maybe that was the best word for it.

A sudden need to draw in breath reminded the cait she was still in the clearing, and she finally took stock. Ciava HAD seen Miracles performed before. No, not even just seen; she had been dragged into standing in as a midwife when one of Oola's group was with child, conceived of the Mother's blessing. There was no greater proof of the Goddess' sheer affection for her faithful than the appearance of those born with aid from her heavenly intervention, and even Ciava could feel the golden threads of divine influence when she held that small crying bundle of new life. If the Goddess was invested enough to answer prayers for a child from two women huddled in a lowly square in a city's poor district, then even those like Ciava who felt far from Her light could hardly deny it's very real presence.

But this was different. There was an element in this that flowed through the air to wrap around Ciava herself, like an embrace filled with unconditional love. Both this act and the hundred others that Ciava had either heard of or felt passively were all created from a divine source, had been carefully woven into being from the Goddess. But only this one filled the very air with an energy that filled Ciava's chest with something she didn't want to ever leave her.

Ciava only realized she had stumbled forward when she plopped down besides Mari, eyes still transfixed by the flame. After a long moment, she breathed out,

"…That was amazing."

It was a bit of a blunt statement, made without a single hint of the careful guile that usually hovered behind her words, but it was the truth. After a few more seconds, Ciava finally tore her eyes away. Looking to Mari, her words were hesitant as she asked,

"Have you always been able to do that? I don't think I've ever seen such a pure connection to the Goddess- well, ever."

For several long, quiet moments after Mari completed her prayer, she lingered in the feeling of gentle connection that seemed to envelop her like an embrace. That was always how she had imagined the Goddess' connection, like a mothers hug that would enfold her in unconditional love and protection. It was the Cait Sidhe's soft spoken words that lured her out of that moment and back to the night, now warmed by the presence of a molten gold flame.

Mari turned, offering Ciava a soft, warm smile. "As long as I can remember, truthfully."

Mari couldn't remember her first prayer that had connected to the goddess. Her mother told her it happened when she was young enough that she couldn't even talk clearly, only able to get out a couple of words and some incoherent babbling. But her family had always been taught how to pray from the moment they were old enough to listen to simple instructions. She hadn't seen it herself, but it didn't take Mari much effort to imagine the rain of blue light that had fallen around her family that fateful day.

For that same reason, Mari had known she was destined to succeed her grandmother for as long as she'd been alive. She'd also known that was why her family had always treated her a little different. Why she'd been an only child. Why the expectations placed upon her were so heavy.

Mari had never once regretted how her connection with the Goddess had changed her life. She wouldn't trade it for anything. But it didn't mean she hadn't found herself a little envious of the lives others got to lead.

Dragging herself out of her wandering thoughts, Mari smiled at Ciava again. "It's always been a part of me. My family... used it to build a good relationship with the Church, but it wasn't publicized much beyond that." Forcibly smoothing out the expression on her face, Mari smiled one more time.

"It's nice to get to use it for a purpose other than worship, though!" There was a trace of forced enthusiasm in her voice, but the way her eyes seemed to gleam for a moment proved the words truly were heartfelt. "I'll help keep us safe and healthy as we travel."

Ciava listened to Mari in the same near-reverent silence she had fallen into since the appearance of the swaying light. Mari looked different, in that pure glow. Not just her soft, warm expression; there was something to her countenance that seemed changed. Reflective and…almost a little melancholy.

So lost was Ciava in trying to piece together Mari's changed state that she nearly missed the strange statement in her words. Feeling like she was suddenly waking up, Ciava felt the cold analytical side of her mind that had saved her hide from trouble so many times hone in one particular part of Mari's statement. Someone with Mari's connection to the Goddess wasn't publicized much? If Ciava had been the one running the church (and thank goodness she wasn't), she'd have someone like Mari parade around, shown to whole damn world. A true believer that could work such potent miracles were not exactly commonplace.

…Though, at the same time, maybe that kind of thinking was exactly WHY it wasn't publicized. Miracles were the Goddess' love and affection for her children given form – it made sense to accept such generous gifts with a certain level of humility.

In the end, Ciava decided to put the matter out of her mind. More than likely it might have related to the mystery package they were carrying anyway, and it was a matter that didn't concern her.

"I see…I think?" Ciava eventually said, though even to her own ears her words were uncertain. Choosing to focus on the practical side of this arrangement, she eventually nodded in satisfaction. "Yea…Actually, having some divine assistance would actually be a hell of a boon, now I think on it!"

While Ciava couldn't guess at the exact parameters of the blessing that had just been given, or where the limits may or may not lie for future use, this could be quite an advantage. With the Vekans, they could march both fairly quickly and at a consistent pace, but the two women would inevitably need to stop to rest. However, with the divine protection over them, they could MAYBE get by without setting any kind of night watch for at least a little while, allowing for a good amount of rest whenever they did stop. If they could stomach a fairly hard pace, they could shave off some time of their travel…

Realizing she had been staring off to one side, letting out a rather suspect giggling as she did, Ciava suddenly sat up straight and cleared her throat.

"Err, what I mean to say is, any aid you can provide would be greatly appreciated, Miss Mari. Anything that makes the road easier could hardly go amiss."

Ciava had nodded, but found her words drying up. As she struggled to think what she should even dare to say, her stomach let out a rather unmistakeable grumble. Flushing a little, Ciava hopped to her feet and moved to the back of their wagon, rooting around as she said.

"W-well, it's been a long day, and I'm ready for some sustenance. I didn't get a chance to ask if you have any dietary preference, so I stocked up on all sorts. Although…" Ciava frowned as she pulled out some dry, preserved meat. The thing looked as tough as old leather, and she doubted it would taste much better. "I'll warn you. Travel rations don't really taste of much no matter what's your choice."

Ciava's unexpected giggle caused Mari to pause as well. However, rather than feeling suspicion about the cait sidhe's laughter, the young woman felt a trace of satisfaction bubbling up within her instead.

She had spent her life as a central symbol to faith, being a part of worship services, helping to connect countless people with the Goddess. Yet, somehow, those years of sermons felt less powerful than the simple satisfaction Ciava seemed to get out of knowing the Goddess would be there to support their trip.

"Of course," Mari agreed cheerfully, matching Ciava by briefly sitting up straighter herself. "I'll always do my best!"

Ciava's mention of food caused Mari herself to swallow slightly, remembering that she hadn't eaten anything since the venison wrap at lunch. Standing up herself, Mari followed Ciava over to the wagon. "I think anything would taste great right about now. Is there anything I can do to help prepare the meal?"

Mari had never really cooked… well, anything. She'd helped the chef make a few cookies once, and they'd turned out just fine to her, but that did not mean she could assemble something from scratch. Best she could do was follow instructions.

Something about the food sparked another memory in her, something that she hadn't thought about since lunch.

"Ah, your down payment." Mari's eyes widened slightly, and it took her fumbling fingers a second or two to untangle one of the pouches from the band around her waist. "I wouldn't want you to think I, ah, 'don't have the coin', as you put it."

Her fingers proffered a small pouch, one of the symbols of the Goddess, a child fruit with a small, abstract flame burning inside, embroidered on its front. Inside, exactly 15 thousand panam, divided up into several different denominations. Taken almost directly from the Church's donation box, there were a couple of the thousand panam coins, but most of it was made up of smaller coins. Her novels had shown how important it was to not need change, and this was the first portion of their money for the trip.

Finally managing to extricate the pouch from where it was secured on her waist—she'd wanted to make sure pickpockets couldn't get into it after sorting out the correct amount of money—Mari proffered it to Ciava on the palm of her hand.

Ciava paused, feline eyes turning in their sockets to look at the small pouch being offered to her. It took a lot of mental effort to maintain the kind of appreciative but calm outward appearance the situation called for. Because internally, the cait sidhe could feel her heart rate suddenly pick up several paces.

"Oh, I see. Well, I appreciate you being prompt with these kinds of things – such is the bedrock to a good working relationship, I'm sure you understand." Ciava's voice was even, and the deception was almost perfect, except for when she actually reached out to take the pouch. The long claw-like nails on her hand hesitated, briefly, before she could successfully close around the soft material of the pouch. Her hand hovered almost uncertainly, a subtle shake trembling through her fingers.

Ciava had, for most of her adult life, sought out ever greater wealth. She did not consider herself greedy – she preferred the term 'practical.' For someone that had once had to claw and fight for every scrap, even a single coin was precious, a fact that remained true even now when she had some degree of coinage to her name. Even now, a rush of satisfaction and contentment welled up in her after a job was finished and the payment was hers for the taking.

Perhaps that was why she had hesitated. If joy can be measured in the weight of money, then this…threatened to be too much.

Blinking, and all at once aware she had been hovering still as a statue for a few seconds, Ciava's fingers curled around the pouch, her tail flicking behind her as she felt it's heft.

"I-I trust you, of course," Ciava coughed, all at once lightheaded. "But s-sensible business decorum says that I should just double check this. As for the food, I don't know if that light can be used in place of a fire pit, but if you could start warming up some water from the skins, I'll treat you to some of my infamous soup recipe as soon as I get back. Which will only be a minute. Just a few seconds, really."

Not blind to the fact her voice was tightening and her hands were gripping the pouch with perhaps suspicious force, Ciava stiffly bowed and retreated to the other side of the wagon.

The light from the Goddess' protection was blocked by the wood and cloth of the wagon, but there was still light enough around that when Ciava all but tore the pouch open, she could see the shiny surface of the coins that awaited her. Her breath caught in her throat, and her smile stretched across her face, fangs gleaming with glee as her free hand gently sifted through the pouch. She didn't bother to actually count the coins, as it was clear just from glance and a gentle shake that this was a larger collection of the higher value panam coins then Ciava had ever seen before in her life. And this wasn't even ALL of it, if this job turned out to be a success.

Ciava clutched the pouch to her chest, feeling the rapid beating in her chest against the hard edges of the coins. Suddenly, the night was bright, and the world full of possibility.

By the time Ciava emerged from the back of the wagon, she was practically bouncing off the balls of her feet as she walked, and she hummed some light-hearted working tune. She briefly ducked into the wagon, pulling out some dried meat and flaky looking root vegetable along with a few utensils, before she plopped down by the glowing light that marked the centre of their camp. Using a rough (but clean) strip of material as work mat, she began tearing off the leaves of the vegetables as she said,

"Now Miss Mari, I don't know if you've ever had a 'Miner's Delight,' but allow me to introduce you to a variation that actually tastes half way decent, as well as filling your belly."

• Spicy
Reactions: Peregrine
Mari's gaze couldn't help but linger slightly on Ciava's back as she scampered off towards the covered wagon, the coin purse clutched tightly in her hand. There was a moment of lingering sympathy in her eyes.

To Mariellen, it was clear that Ciava must have worked in desperate situations. Even though the young saint had grown up in the temple, grown up in a world where everything she needed to live a happy and fulfilled life was only a few words away, she hadn't been raised blind to the challenges that many people had to face in life. She'd spent months at a time living, protected by a small collection of the Temple's best guards, living among various groups of people in various situations, all in an effort to understand the Mother Goddess' love for all people in this world.

The bedrock of a good working relationship.... How many times must Ciava have been cheated by others? How rarely must her life have been touched by generosity or the kindness of a stranger? Quietly, as she rummaged through the items Ciava had moved out of the wagon looking for a pot and the water skins, Mari resolved herself to making sure Ciava not only felt appreciated on the trip, but was also rewarded well beyond what she already deserved.

She sat the heavy water skin down by the flame, panting slightly from the exertion on her thin arms, before lowering herself to the ground as well. Her green eyes seemed to glow a warm hazel.

In truth, Mari had never imagined using a Flame of Protection to cook. Had anyone asked her when she was a child, she would have called it positively disrespectful to the Mother's blessing. After all, how could something designed to protect your life and show you a mother's love be used for something as mundane as cooking?

Time and experience had taught her that was an overly simplistic view. Oftentimes, the situation determined the means.

Mari carefully set the pot down on top of the flame, and watched the way its golden tongues seemed to cradle around its dark metal sides. Watching that, Mari couldn't help but imagine that the flame was happy to help, that protecting to it might also just mean helping to give you a warm and satisfying meal, bringing the comforts of home out into the wilderness.

By the time Ciava returned from the wagon, the water in the pot was already at a merry boil. Mari glanced back at her, smiling slightly at her enthusiastic movement. "All there, I take it?" she asked playfully. "The water's at a boil. What else would you like me to do?"