ALWAYS OPEN OPEN SIGNUPS Magic Unbound: The Academy Between Worlds SU

THIS TOOK LONGER THAN I EXPECTED SORRY FOR THE DELAY.

Tallis lets out a musical laugh that seems entirely at odds with her otherwise dour exterior.
"Bien, when I first came here of course! To Wolpurgiswora! The sights, the sounds, the colours, it was… liberating. Like someone had just freed me from a burden I did not know I was carrying, tu sais? This place…" her eyes dart up to the ceiling, to the walls around her, smile beaming as though gazing upon an old friend. "...it is a sanctuary. You do not know how special something like that is unless you have lived without it."

"Night Watch duty!" Tallis says immediately, leaning forwards in her chair and gesturing irritably, "Hours of tedium when everyone else gets to sleep, and the only alternative to things being boring is things suddenly getting extremely dangerous! Just… affreux." She seems to relax back into her chair, taking more care with her next answers. "The burden of command, also. That moment where everyone's eyes fall on you, and they all expect you to have the answers as to what we need to do in order to get out of whatever sticky situation we're in. I like time to consider my actions, and in moments like that you just don't have it. You have to act… and then live with the consequences."

The last answer takes longer in coming. Tallis is clearly mulling things over in her head. Holding something back. Finally, she relents.
"Preparing the body of someone you know for burial. It is a sacred task. An important task. To leave a body unconsecrated and unprepared is to leave them as meat for a necromancer to exploit. But still it's… they were a person, tu sais? Someone you lived beside, fought beside. And then all of a sudden they are just…" Tallis drifts off, gesturing vaguely. "It just sucks, d'accord?"

Leaning back in her chair, Tallis offers a wistful smile.
"I love the people back home. Truly. We might be a community under siege, but we are a community that has pulled together. Everyone looks out for one another, tu sais? It's not unlike having one giant extended family that always has your back." The wistful smile falters slightly. "But they are all so very… serious. Bleak, even. It's like some of them have forgotten how to smile. We have been so consumed with the task of fighting the dead that we have forgotten to live a little." The smile makes a brief return, but tinged with more than a little sadness now. "I would very much like for them to remember."

This question elicits a giggle from Tallis.
"Why to live in the moment, bien sûr! I am constantly beset by… comment le dis tu… 'analysis paralysis', I think that is the term. Which I am told is a fancy way of saying I think too much. About everything. Spontaneity sounds delightful, truly, but every time I sit down to try and figure out how one acts spontaneously I realise I've already failed."

"Perhaps it is not wise to ask a Morosian girl this, non? You will hardly get an objective answer." Tallis fidgets with the ends of her hair, considering her words before answering. "I have come to realise something, since I first came to the World Between. Selfishness is the ultimate luxury, is it not? To have the chance to only ever think about yourself, and not those around you. Yet it is also folly. Those around you are all you have, when the chips are down and the dead are clawing at the door." Tallis smiles sadly. "People who cannot act for the benefit of others are doomed to die alone."

"I'm the eldest!" Tallis says cheerfully, "you can tell, non? Everyone always says they can tell. I think it meant I felt more responsible, even from a young age. I had to consider the consequences of things, because the Creator knows my little brother Gilles never would." She rolls her eyes. "He still doesn't, even today."

Tallis rises from her seat for this, brushing herself down.
"We Morosians don't wear a lot of jewellery, tu sais? We are, by necessity, a frugal people. So I can show you the contents of my box." She flashes a grin. "I'm wearing it all, you see."

Dragging up the left sleeve of her uniform blouse, she shows a series of interlinked brass bangles. They are simple, solid pieces, with little ostentation, but when they clink together the sound is vibrant. Almost musical. "Mourner's Bracelets, we call them," Tallis explains. "To ward off restless spirits. They are worn on the off-hand. Leaves your main hand free to fight. I find the sound reassuring, when I'm getting stressed or worried. Reminds me that I'm still me." She then flicks a finger against the choker she wears around her neck. "We don't have these back home, tu sais? Or these, for that matter," she points to the gauge in her ear, "so these are mine. Something I chose for myself. And lastly…"

Her hand drifts to the locket that hangs around her neck, the colour of dull brass. Tallis clutches it protectively.
"...my family gave me this before I came here. It has a picture of them all inside." She smiles warmly at the thought. "I don't know where they found the time to have it made, given everything we were dealing with at the time. There were a million other priorities, tu sais? But they still did it. Just for me." She releases the pendant and lowers herself back into her seat, nodding her head. "It's the most important thing I own, je pense. Even more important than the Severance. The Severance is how I fight, but this?" She taps the pendant. "This is why."

What is the name of your home world?

"Moros. The Besieged World, if you want to get poetic about it."

What's the current state of your home world?

"You might say we have a slight infestation problem," Tallis says with a wry smile. "Every world has its dead. It is a fact of the universe. Birth, death and taxes, so the saying goes. It's just that our dead do not feel like staying dead, tu sais? The magical forces that imbue Moros take a strange, dangerous Restorative form, and so we must constantly be on the lookout for the undead. To make matters worse, there are those who would use those dangerous Restoration energies for their own ends. Nefarious and selfish ends. They seize command of the undead, to control and direct them. We know them as 'Necromancers' and they are…" Tallis sighs, closing her eyes and clenching one of her hands into a fist, "...well, they are just the fucking worst."

She goes quiet for a moment, her face growing serious.
"And the worst of the worst? We call him the Corpse Father."

Auric Colours

Green, for the naturally occurring Resoration magics that pervade the world of Moros.

Brown, for the dangerous and unnatural way in which that same magic has been twisted.

What stereotypical group-role does your character fit into? Where would they like to be instead, if they don't like where they fit currently?

Tallis is the Team Mum, the mature voice of reason in the group who does her best to rein things in before they get out of hand and people get hurt. This isn't her natural inclination, but more of a role that she has had to take on due to the circumstances of her upbringing.

What major arcana tarot card best represents your character?

The High Priestess.

Do you know when to give up?

"Of course!" Tallis says with a giggle. "Doesn't mean I'm going to, though. Knowing when to do something is not the same as knowing you should do something."

Sorry I'm so slow 😭😭 work has been a killer recently but I got here eventually aha
Yunek was silent for a long time as he thought over the question. "The first night after Tazi showed up," was what he decided on, his tone certain. On cue, the creature made its presence known, loping out from the unnaturally dark shadows in the corner of the room and slotting itself by Yunek's side. He allowed himself the barest hint of a smile as he let his hand rest on Tazi's head.

"I mean, I almost died because this thing decided to sit on my chest while I was sleeping." Tazi let out a displeased huff, which Yunek ignored besides lightly ruffling its fur as he continued to speak.

"But the Forest only takes you when you're alone. So it's nice, knowing there's always someone watching over me."

"The Leader recently gave me the job of visiting other communities. It's an important job; we can't survive without trading with others, and sometimes there are messages to pass on. I would have volunteered for it anyway. It's a dangerous job, and many people disappear doing it. I'd rather I take it than risk someone else's life. But it's unfortunate to know they think I'm expendable." Yunek said this in a matter-of-fact tone, though the wry twist of his lips betrayed his hurt. He ducked his head, focusing his attention on smoothing Tazi's fur as he continued to speak.

"Besides that? Staying alive is kind of a pain. I'm a horrible cook and I never have enough firewood dried for the winter. Tazi's quite warm, so it's not too bad nowadays. But it could be difficult sometimes when I was younger." Yunek snorted a laugh as Tazi nuzzled its nose against his side, its tail wagging.

"And uh…I don't know. No one ever taught me how to mend my clothes so that can be frustrating. I keep stabbing myself with needles."

"My community likes to call itself pragmatic, which is really to say that they don't care about anyone else." There was a pause, and then Yunek sighed. "I guess that's not completely accurate. I've seen mothers call after their kids when they run off, and friends check on each other when they trip. But if your existence doesn't benefit the community? You may as well not exist. If you die then we burn you and throw the ashes in the woods. Then no one ever mentions you again. If you disappear? That's even better, you're saving us all a step."

Yunek sighed again, running a hand through his hair. "It honestly just makes it harder, because if anyone does want to be sad because someone they cared about died, they can't show it. Otherwise, everyone will judge them. But anyway, that's why they pick people like me to do the dangerous jobs. It makes things easier, because no one would care if I were gone."

"A lot of things. I'm not known for being skilled."

"Tazi, you love me, don't you?"

The creature in question wriggled out of Yunek's grasp, casting a single glance back before turning away with a flick of its tail. It loped back into the darkness, leaving Yunek sitting there alone.

He stayed frozen in his position for a moment, before sinking back into his seat with a sigh. "Tazi's the closest thing I have as of now, which is unfortunate. If it's an example of love then I don't think I particularly care for it."

From the shadows, there was something which sounded almost like a human laugh, albeit a bit too guttural and harsh. Yunek rolled his eyes, but there was a flash of a smile on his face before he ducked down his head, his hair obscuring his expression.

"I like to think that my parents loved me, though, before they disappeared. I don't remember much of either of them, but I can remember being wrapped in blankets on cold nights, and their smiles when I followed them around during their chores. It's a…nice feeling, I suppose. Warm."

"Only child, only member of the household." Yunek shrugged. "I think a long time ago, my parents mentioned I had a sister. But you know how it is here. We don't talk about the people that are gone. I don't have any memories of her; I'm not sure if she died or she disappeared. But I think the fact that my parents mentioned her to me at all allowed me to see that the way our community operates is wrong. People deserve to be remembered, even if it hurts."

"'Items which belong to those who disappear or die must be burned along with their memory,'" Yunek said, his deliberate enunciation and the practiced rise and fall of his tone indicating a quote. He leaned forward, and when he next spoke, his words were quieter, as though wary of potential listeners. "I couldn't let them burn my mother's jewelry box, though. I used to love looking through it. Jewelry is a luxury, so there isn't much there. But I know each piece was important to her. If she can still be found somewhere, I think she would appreciate having it back."

Yunek leaned back. His eyes had a faraway look as he recalled the box. "There were two layers to the box, but the top layer only had one set of jewelry. It was a hair stick, carved from bone and inlaid with green stones. It was not done well at all; you wouldn't be able to tell that the lines carved in it are flowers unless you were told, and when I first saw it there were already two stones that had fallen out. My father had made it for her, apparently, when their relationship was young."

Yunek reached up, absentmindedly brushing his pale curls from his face. "I don't remember her ever wearing it; she probably would have snapped it in half if she tried. But I always loved looking at it. I can't remember either of their faces, but it's nice to know that my father loved my mother enough to make it, and that my mother loved him enough to keep it.

"She had a few other bits of jewelry, although I don't recall her wearing any of it. There were several pendants, although there's only one necklace chain in the box. They're all made from stone and have carvings of different animals." Yunek paused, frowning. "There's a story for each animal, I think. I can't remember what they meant."

Yunek shook his head suddenly. "It doesn't matter. The last item she had there was a wooden ring. There's a story that if you carry a part of a tree from the Forest, then you will be granted safe passage. Which isn't true, of course. But I took it with me anyway." He lightly tapped his chest, where, hidden under layers of fabric, the ring hung from a necklace.

"Maimora. That's what the man from the River Village told me it was called, anyway. I don't know enough to correct him if he was lying."

"The world is full of magic. I just don't think it likes us very much. Even then, there are some people it seems to hate more than others. Some of the communities I've visited seem to have so much; My community would have died out long ago if not for them. All we have is a forest that steals people in the night and grows denser by the year. I don't know why I keep going back, but soon there will be nothing to return to."

Yunek sighed. "Even then, I am sure there are people out there who have been given even less than we have. And I have magic as well, which I don't think any other human in my world can say. I really shouldn't be complaining here."

Choose one dominate and auxillary auric color (sans white, black, and brown) to designate to your home world.
Maimora has degraded from what it had been at its conception. It had begun to break long before Yunek was aware, and so all he knows is what is left, and even that it continuing to fall apart before his eyes.

So he would be hard-pressed to agree, but it once would have been undeniably green. The world brimmed with magic, and it gave and gave to its creations. Somewhere along the way, things went wrong. Perhaps Maimora sees its inhabitants as a threat, or perhaps its idea of how to care for them has become twisted.

Besides green, there are hints of orange. You can see it in some of the people, in the way they readily agree to help their neighbours, the way they create despite what little they have, the way they maintain hope despite the less-than-stellar circumstances. However, this too has become twisted over time.

What stereotypical group-role does your character fit into? Where would they like to be instead, if they don't like where they fit currently?
Absolutely the therapist friend. He is always willing to lend a listening ear to those in need and to provide whatever help he can. On the other hand, while he will talk about his own circumstances if prompted, it can be difficult for him to reach out for help himself.

While he is satisfied with this role, he has always been somewhat envious of natural leaders, who members of a group subconsciously gravitate towards.

The Moon.

"I think that depends on the situation. I like to think that I know how to pick my battles."

The reproachful bark from the shadows seemed to indicate otherwise.

yesssssssss!! im lovin all these boogs!! ima start drafting out the ic's after work tmr while we wait for any final submissions and Ariel's boog! 🤔 introduction posts will prolly come out sometime saturday after dnd!

• Love
Reactions: Cwispy and Hyphae
I've noticed that the general tone of most of our character's home worlds is rather light and fluffy, not unlike the world of Teletubbies, if perhaps with more fantastical elements mixed in. Just glad that no one has to deal with having come from a slowly dying nightmare world.

I've noticed that the general tone of most of our character's home worlds is rather light and fluffy, not unlike the world of Teletubbies, if perhaps with more fantastical elements mixed in. Just glad that no one has to deal with having come from a slowly dying nightmare world.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hyphae
Yunek would relate spiritually to tinky winky ngl

• Haha
Reactions: Hyphae and rissa
giphy.gif
I mean to be fair it seems wise to ignore the loud screaming coming from Moros.

It's probably fine.

• Creepy
Reactions: rissa
That would be... our last family dinner, when Mother and Father and Brother and I sat down together. That very last time.

Only three? Um... how about just anything that people tell me to do just because? Like if nobody will get hurt if I don't do it. So, stuff like having to hand in work on time, things like that? Or folding your laundry instead of picking what you need out of the pile? Or, uh... answering questionnaires like this one? *cheeky grin*

The idea that keeping your head down and going along with the authorities is the best way to go about life. Nothing will change for the better if we just accept what we're told. Someone has to hold the powers that be to account, and that someone ought to be everyone.

Concentrate in class when the teacher's really boring.

The first time I took a human life. I always thought it was supposed to be a heavy, awful thing that would burden my soul. It... didn't, or at least I don't think it did. It felt... I felt nothing. Or almost nothing. It was strange. I've been more upset stepping on a bug.

I had a brother. I don't any more. I miss him terribly. And it still makes me cry when I think how nothing I do can ever bring him back.

My mother had two pieces of jewelry. She gave me her hairpiece before sending me off. I still wear it, see? It's like a comb but it's gold and has these pieces of jade set into it. She told me that it's passed down through the generations of women in our family. That might end with me, I guess.

Her other piece was a plain jade bangle that Father bought her when they first met and fell in love. She always said it would protect her from harm. It shattered when she blocked a blow that night. I guess it worked some. It bought her enough time to get me away.

- Tianxia

- Unstable. Demon attacks have been increasing every year, and they're eroding the authority of the Emperor and his administration. People are whispering they're a sign that he's lost the Mandate of Heaven. The times are changing, but the tragedy is that the common people will pay the price.

Choose one dominate and auxillary auric color (sans white, black, and brown) to designate to your home world.
- Indigo and Blue.

- Out of conflict, Yuling is the ditz, the hot mess, the one who's always messing up and getting into trouble. In conflict, she turns into a stone cold killer.

- Justice

- Never.

• Sympathy & Compassion
  • Love
Reactions: Nemopedia and rissa
Sorry for the combo breaker.

Just a heads up that I made a couple of edits to Alice's CS. Nothing major, just added some details about her appearance I forgot to include when I first wrote the thing and added a note about her Guardian Name, because I realised I'd missed the opportunity to make a Big Pharma joke and that had to be rectified.

• I'm SHOOK
Reactions: rissa
Just a heads up that I made a couple of edits to Alice's CS. Nothing major, just added some details about her appearance I forgot to include when I first wrote the thing and added a note about her Guardian Name, because I realised I'd missed the opportunity to make a Big Pharma joke and that had to be rectified.
ayyye! thanks for lettin me know!

i'm a day behind bc my heads been thumpin with this heat insane heat+humidity combo, but ive been drafting out what i want to happen between the ICs and am makin some graphics in the meantime!

• According to Plan
Reactions: Cwispy and Hyphae
i'm a day behind bc my heads been thumpin with this heat insane heat+humidity combo, but ive been drafting out what i want to happen between the ICs and am makin some graphics in the meantime!

I completely sympathize. Where I'm at the heat+humidity is insane!

What are you talking about? It's 1°C outside. Clearly you people don't know what you're talking about.

apologies for the wait yall!! the heats really taking it out of me lately (my AC keeps freezing over too n my roommate/landlord isn't doing anything about it 🙃) BUT! im aboouuuut halfway thru the "shared" Wolpurgiswora IC thread. it may or may not get posted tonight, but i am getting close! i keep finding more and more to write about (and therefore rewrite LOL) and ideally i'd like to post the individual class threads together— which will prolly be up around the end of the week!

got any questions or concerns, shoot em here or message me!

Name: Rain shamta houndroadGuardian

Guardian name: Wandering shamen

Magical Epithet: ██████

Appearance: Dark red hair and gold eyes and is often seen in shamanic clothing or leather clothes

Auric Colors: grey, green

Academic Affiliation: Ex Treethorn Academy student now guardian for hire

3 Sentence Vibe Check: Rain comes from a world that is death and life go side by side thus he is very indifferent to life and death unless given a reason to feel and think otherwise. He gives off a vibe of don't come near me but is a very reasonable and out going most of the time and wise guy, even though he comes over as a thug because of his resting thug face. He is wise for his age and gives off an aura that can scare the crap out of people but also put them at ease if they mean something to him or is on the clock.

Your ideal posting speed:
flexible

Companion: Phonix (no a giant one)

w.ip

so a small update: almost done. trying to bump the rest out but i should already be asleep for work tmr sdjfgksdfg

Appearance: Dark red hair and gold eyes and is often seen in shamanic clothing or leather clothes

3 Sentence Vibe Check: Rain comes from a world that is death and life go side by side thus he is very indifferent to life and death unless given a reason to feel and think otherwise. He gives off a vibe of don't come near me but is a very reasonable and out going most of the time and wise guy, even though he comes over as a thug because of his resting thug face. He is wise for his age and gives off an aura that can scare the crap out of people but also put them at ease if they mean something to him or is on the clock.

flexible

w.ip

as it stands, @Rads, there's a lot of things wrong with this submission, but i see it still has a WIP tag, so be sure to let me know when you're finished! i strongly encourage you to read over the lore and ask questions if need be. i'm confused what you mean by "ex treethorn" and "guardian for hire" whose hiring rain? why? additionally, him being 38 is 🤔 not necessarily a no-go, but in this context it will be, as despite his age, he will still be coming in as a 1st or 2nd year student. there is no exception to this.

if you wanted to play an older character i could be convinced to let an alumni be part of the narrative, provided you supply a tangible reason as to why they'd be useful/impactful to the tale we're weaving. there is no "grey" auric color, kids are often a lot innately wiser than adults, and i have some serious doubts that a shaman in a world where life and death go hand in hand could be indifferent to such energies and ideologies. why doesn't he feel? think?

overall i'd just like to see a more thought out character submission!

so a small update: almost done. trying to bump the rest out but i should already be asleep for work tmr sdjfgksdfg

flexible

w.ip

as it stands, @Rads, there's a lot of things wrong with this submission, but i see it still has a WIP tag, so be sure to let me know when you're finished! i strongly encourage you to read over the lore and ask questions if need be. i'm confused what you mean by "ex treethorn" and "guardian for hire" whose hiring rain? why? additionally, him being 38 is 🤔 not necessarily a no-go, but in this context it will be, as despite his age, he will still be coming in as a 1st or 2nd year student. there is no exception to this.

if you wanted to play an older character i could be convinced to let an alumni be part of the narrative, provided you supply a tangible reason as to why they'd be useful/impactful to the tale we're weaving. there is no "grey" auric color, kids are often a lot innately wiser than adults, and i have some serious doubts that a shaman in a world where life and death go hand in hand could be indifferent to such energies and ideologies. why doesn't he feel? think?

fair points so here's why,
1.He used to loved ones dying as part he also knows he'll die one day so he doesn't bother to think about it.
2. sure i could work alumni and my bad btw
3. he could teach the kids that there's a darker side to earth and shamanic magic and the pros and cons of using it
4. the reason i said for hirer is because i wasn't sure where to put him.
what if his aura is black and orange because he's endured so much pain over his life time open to ideas on this.

Ps those were off the top of my head so i hope they don't suck to bad

flexible

w.ip

fair points so here's why,
1.He used to loved ones dying as part he also knows he'll die one day so he doesn't bother to think about it.
2. sure i could work alumni and my bad btw
3. he could teach the kids that there's a darker side to earth and shamanic magic and the pros and cons of using it
4. the reason i said for hirer is because i wasn't sure where to put him.
what if his aura is black and orange because he's endured so much pain over his life time open to ideas on this.

i don't think this rp is for you, @Rads, hopefully you'll find an rp to squeeze Rain into in the future, but his concept just won't work here

Reactions: Ariel